Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Minnesota post game thread

Posted by atb9 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell vs. Minnesota post game thread
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:42PM

I said it before, and I'll say it again. O'Byrne isn't a total sack of suckitude on the ice--far from it. He's just inconsistent. He's an effective defenseman when he's on his game, but almost half the time, he commits some seriously stupid errors, upon which we all end up dwelling. I sincerely hope he does improve to commit far less mistakes next year.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:50PM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

To all those that defend him, please enlighten me: give me an example of O'Byrne not sucking.[/q]

Go watch a Cornell practice; his wrister is nasty. Or heck, remember some of the games we played this season! The powerplay goal against Harvard in November was sick! How about that wrister 16 seconds in against St. Lawrence a few weeks ago? And the two on one shorty against BC? A sizzler! His scoring took a significant leap this year; from 2 points in his freshman campaign (and no goals!), to 10 points this season. He will continue to improve.

Lay off of the kid and rely on more than just short term memory; you're better than that! :-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 01:51PM by atb9.

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:48PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Facetimer Wrote:

To all those that defend him, please enlighten me: give me an example of O'Byrne not sucking.[/Q]
Go watch a Cornell practice; his wrister is nasty. Or heck, remember some of the games we played this season! The powerplay goal against Harvard in November was sick! How about that wrister 16 seconds in against St. Lawrence a few weeks ago? And the two on one shorty against BC? A sizzler! His scoring took a significant leap this year; from 2 points in his freshman campaign (and no goals!), to 10 points this season. He will continue to improve.

Lay off of the kid and rely on more than just short term memory; you're better than that![/q]Also, he hits the crap out of people and grinds them against the boards.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:49PM

Unfortunately for Cornell, O'Byrne and the rest of us the puck got STUCK under O'Byrne's skate!! (' twitch ')
This is an extremely difficult position from which to do anything with the puck (but fall on it). The puck is visible (so the ref doesn't consider it frozen), the defensive player has a difficult time playing the puck with his stick and if he lifts his foot up.....well, we all know what an offensive player right next to him will do with the puck from there!

Overall, we played a great second half of a game. We were in it at the end and had two great chances in OT to win and our offense didn't convert. The power play looked very uncomfortable and the even-strength chances we few. Our defense kept a faster team in check for most of the game, shut down the opponents power play and scored the only goal for us in the game.

We can rag on O'Byrne all off-season but truthfully very few of us would be complaining if the offense could of generated a single goal!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 02:52PM by MattShaf.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:03PM

[Q]MattShaf Wrote:
if he lifts his foot up.....well, we all know what an offensive player right next to him will do with the puck from there!
[/q]

The issue here, however, is that there wasn't an offensive player anywhere near him for a good 4-5 seconds (and boy did it seem a hell of a lot longer!) as he strangely attempted to draw a whistle on a freeze-up when it was just him with the puck.

I don't think either extreme on this thread is fair. You can't pin an entire game on one player's shoulders. Obviously there were other chances, other players who could have stepped up, and other areas to point to. How about the fact that we seemingly couldn't connect on a neutral zone cross ice pass for the first 30 minutes of the game?

But it's equally unfair to deny O'Byrne's invovlement in allowing both Minnesota goals. "He's out there busting his ass and I'm sure Schafer sees something in him" is a piss-poor argument in trying to defend him for this one game. Nobody is doubting the effort that he (or anybody wearing the Cornell jersey) gives or the talent that lies somewhere within (and does show itself at times during the year). But players make mistakes in games, and sometimes those mistakes are costly, sometimes they are not. Very unfortunately, O'Byrne's mistakes last night were extremely costly. Simply put, when bad things happen after your mistakes, the deluge of criticism will follow.

We obviously need a solid Ryan O'Byrne next year to get to, and beyond, this year's finish. He ain't going anywhere, nor should he. I echo the statements of a previous poster (I am too lazy to look it up): who thought very much of Knoepfli and Iggulden 2 years ago, or even a year ago? Now they seem indispensible, as leaders and as players. Here's hoping we're speaking in the same tems of O'Byrne 2 years from today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 03:06PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: F*** Minnasota (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:07PM

Does anybody else have an empty deppressed feeling today? Because I shure do::-(

Date: March 28, 2005 03:15PM

[Q]F*** Minnasota Wrote:

Does anybody else have an empty deppressed feeling today? Because I shure do:
[/q]

Well, I think I did a good job of getting rid of that feeling last night but seeing the highlights on ESPNews made it come back. Savor it. It reminds me of how much I love Cornell and the people that have also experienced it.

edit: Oh, and that photo on the front of USCHO.com doesn't help either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 03:18PM by atb9.

Date: March 28, 2005 03:24PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

"He's out there busting his ass and I'm sure Schafer sees something in him" is a piss-poor argument in trying to defend him for this one game.
[/q]

Agreed when trying to defend him for this one game. But that's not what I was doing in my earlier arguments (I know you were not responding to me). We all agree that he got beat badly on the first goal (he couldn't even bring his man down with a hook) and he foolishly turned his back on the ice on the second goal when he didn't need to. I was defending him as a hockey player and as an important part of our program this year and for the next two years and trying to deflect the "O'Byrne is a liability" nonsense that propped up earlier in the year. Schafer has turned this program around, no doubt, and as a result (that and he sees these guys in practice all year), I put a lot of trust in his ability to judge talent and to put out the best team each night. If Schafer didn't think OB was the best option, OB would not be playing, and that happened once (or twice?) this season. There is no next game to bench OB so all you can do his hope the kid continues to improve and is again a stud next season (with a better head). He already was cutting down on his penalties from earlier this season...

And yes, I see how it can be a bit of a cop out in defaulting to Schafer and the minutes he gives OB but it's a much easier to stat to grasp than his +/- that also shows how valuable he is to the team (fourth behind Cook, Downs, and Moulson).

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:28PM

[Q]F*** Minnasota Wrote:

Does anybody else have an empty deppressed feeling today? Because I shure do:
[/q]

Yeah, but I feel that way everyday.

Posted by: johnF (---.clspco.adelphia.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 03:34PM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

To all those that defend him, please enlighten me: give me an example of O'Byrne not sucking.[/q]

Well, he did take a calculated penalty in the second period that led to Cornell's only goal. I would have given him the second assist on that goal. ;)

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 04:12PM

These guys are practically kids so I hate to criticize them. My question on O'Byrne on the OT goal is: was he totally gassed? The guy didn't move, he just put his skate out. Why not use your body a bit more? The guy who took the puck was much smaller, albeit pretty quick. It didn't seem like O'Byrne moved much after his pocket was picked.

I saw the game on tv, not in person, so I don't know how long O'Byrne was on the ice. I wish him well next year!!

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login