Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Minnesota post game thread

Posted by atb9 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:15PM

Tough loss. Minnesota wins in OT on a defensive lapse for the second straight day. Cornell showed great fight late in the game...tough loss, great season. 2006 is going to be awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 06:15PM by atb9.

Re: Cornell vs. Minnesota post game thread
Posted by: Facetimer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:15PM

O'BYRNE SUCKS

Cost us both goals.

Posted by: anon (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:16PM

Re-open the "Is O'Byrne a liability" poll

Date: March 27, 2005 06:16PM

[Q]Facetimer Wrote:

O'BYRNE SUCKS

Cost us both goals.[/q]

O'Byrne is a sophomore. He's going to be a great player.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:17PM

I would say take it easy on O'Byrne. He is (and will continue to be) an integral part of the team for the next 2 years.

Posted by: Oat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:17PM

if they didn't score there, you would never have said this about o'byrne...

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:18PM

I think O'Byrne was more at fault for the first goal then the second. Where was everyone in front on the last goal. Knoefli turned the wrong way, both D were in the corner, and the other person out front just got plain beat by the pass in front.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 06:19PM by TCHL8842.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:19PM

i was just gonna say, absolutely ridiculous. We could all sit here and bitch about Minnesota getting home ice and all that $hit, but the bottom line is you have to win the one-on-one battles and we didn't do that today. Those were two awful awful mistakes by O'Byrne and thats what lost us the game.

MINNESOTA SUCKS
Date: March 27, 2005 06:19PM

That was all they got on their home ice??? They really don't deserve to be in there.

Posted by: Big Red Colonel (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:20PM

O'Byrne may have made a few bad plays, but we are simply not good enough. He did not cost us the game. I'm more disappointed with the reality that we don't belong with the big boys than I am with the loss. The guys played hard and I thank them for a wonderful ride again. Reality s*cks.

1st goal
Date: March 27, 2005 06:21PM

1st goal, I would say Mckee shouldn't have let the puck through his legs.

2nd goal, no one picked up Tallackson as he cut through the middle. Everyone stood and watched the passer.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:23PM

Disagree. Cornell can play with the Minnesotas and Denvers of the world. These teams have more talent than Cornell, but if Cornell plays hard and sticks within the system, they can do it. A lot of the players just didn't have good games today. Don't forget that we were in OT, one different bounce of the puck, and we'd all be booking flights to Columbus and talking about how great we played.

Re: 1st goal
Date: March 27, 2005 06:24PM

True, McKee probably should have squeezed his legs a little tighter, but O'Byrne got beat off the boards and did not maintain defensive side positioning, which was the real cause of the goal.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-213-24.myvzw.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:25PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Facetimer Wrote:

O'BYRNE SUCKS

Cost us both goals.[/Q]
O'Byrne is a sophomore. He's going to be a great player.[/q]

His Cornell career is now half over....How long do we have to wait for him to get his head into the game? These types of mistakes can be justified in the first half of his freshman year. After that, it's time to get with the program....Schaefer's program!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 06:27PM by redice.

Posted by: bs (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:26PM

So depressed:`(

Date: March 27, 2005 06:27PM

It took us 50 minutes to play our game today. I sure hope you are right - I am just real disappointed like everyone else here. I actually thought we would come out and take the game to Minny today and that absolutely did not happen. Credit the guys for playing as disciplined as they did on defense for most of the game.

Posted by: ZooeyDog (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:27PM

Sure, the first goal was slightly soft, and the second was the result of a mental breakdown and ill-advised attempt at starting a line change, but SOG were 38-16, and time-of-possession was probably 50 minutes to 15. Can't paint one player as villain in this one, folks. The seeding, the venue, it all stunk, but you've got to get more than 14 SOG in regulation if you're playing on the friggin' *moon*. Nice season. It was a fun, and somewhat unexpected ride. Man. I think my age is starting to show. I'm not throwing things.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:29PM

Don't worry we will make it back next season.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:30PM

Zooey ... I wished I could say the same:-/

Posted by: Chief AA Bear (---.nycap.res.rr.com)

Great effort by our beloved RED!, but alas a dissapointing end to the season.

No, I disagree! O'Byrne should[\u] not be taken easy on. He was doing a bonehead play deep in our own zone, where all he had to do was move the puck....What was he thinkin????????

His play was poor in Albany and at the game I saw at Union earliert this season. He just has no concept when he's m\not moving forward and should be benched for next year, until he learns the startegy of the game. He hasn't made any progress since last year, and he cost us a chance to get back to the Big Dance (Where WE BELONG !!!!)

The guy may be big, but he stinks as a stick handler and draws unnecssary penalties, because he's playin around behind the net line instead of moving the puck to the next open RED player... NO EXCUSES for that foolishness !

I screamed at him all night last night and this afternoon.. he's just not a good player for all the time he gets back there on "D". Maybe he would make a better forward????

The rest of the team did GREAT!!! and I loved Carefoot's goal todaya nd Ingulden's (sp?) goal last night.

We have the class program in the EAST (that includes H-E), but it's tough to win in gopher land.

Bummer but I think we'll be better next year !!!! (potential recruits saw two great performances !)

Thank you Coach Schafer, Seniors and the whole team (yes, including O'Byrne) for a great runt his year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE A_R_E the BIG RED of CORNELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- da Bear

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)

Minny just controlled the puck for too much of the game. Looked like we turned it on for the 3rd, but couldn't handle how many skilled Gophers there were on the ice. I, for one, wasn't expecting the team to get so far this year, and can't wait for another shot next year.

I was watching at a bar, with no sound. Anything of note happen audibly? The cowbell got in?

Posted by: rYe (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:33PM

O'Byrne did make a terrible play mid way through, followed by a penalty but that did not cost a goal.
I just dont see why he did not clear the puck off the glass. He had 2 chances to do so and then he gave up the puck and tried to tie it up behind the net. I thought McKee made a great save on the first shot but no help on the rebound and he had no chance.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:35PM

[Q]redice Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

Facetimer Wrote:

O'BYRNE SUCKS

Cost us both goals.[/Q]
O'Byrne is a sophomore. He's going to be a great player.[/Q]
His Cornell career is now half over....How long do we have to wait for him to get his head into the game? These types of mistakes can be justified in the first half of his freshman year. After that, it's time to get with the program....Schaefer's program!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/27/05 06:27PM by redice.[/q]

Agree totally. What is it with him breaking out in front of the net? ex: clarkson goal.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:36PM

This weekend does point out the unfortunate talent gap that seems to have opened between the WCHA and everyone else (probably except for Michigan). Not to say would couldn't have won today, we certainly could have. But after putting up a phenomenal unbeaten streak and dominating the ECACHL, we are left on the outside looking in. Minnesota, which was third in their conference and lost in their conference tournament semis, was able to take advantage of the home ice and do what they had to do. Meanwhile North Dakota, which NO ONE was talking about this season, destroyed the alleged Boston powerhouses.

Now Kessel is heading to Minny next season.

I just hope the NHL starts soon so some of those guys will leave!

All that being said, I love where are program is and where it seems to be going. Not that anyone should doubt it, but McKee is the real deal. And, with our fabulous Juniors coming back to lead the way, an apparently strong recruiting class on the way, we should be right up there next season. It's a nice thing to look forward to.

The Seniors will be sorely missed, but they should be so proud of what they have accomplished.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:36PM

Don't you think we looked slow?

Date: March 27, 2005 06:39PM

We had good flow going in the OT and Topher would have gotten the gamer (potentiallY) if he had turned his stick a little different. The puck was right there on the doorstep.

BUT!!! O'Bryne blew the momentum by trying to tie it up in our own end and gave MN a chance to score, and this time they did. I 'm not hear to make the kid feel bad, but his on-ice actions just bewilder me. It's like he doesn't know what to do most of the time, and he fiddles around trying to stickhandle while motionless, instead of getting it to an open man. I just don't think he understands the game yet. Hopefully he'll get some instruction this summer or switch to forward or something. His size could be a real asset, but he just seems to cause more problems out there than are needed. Today was no exception. A doug Murray, he is definietly NOT.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:40PM

Noone can say we cant play with the big boys. OT one-goal loss? We played our game against them the way you had to on that big sheet. On a normal sheet we'd have more shots, but I think it was well coached. A TON of those shots had no chance at all - either bad angle or long shot that was seen all the way in.

We also didn't have too many PP chances either...especially with the whistles tucked in the third and OT. Ans special teams was the hallmark all year.

Well-played I say. I wonder what the result would be if we went back to lynah and played minny again?

Well done Red. Keep going next year.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:40PM

I think had this been on the reg rink what took 2+ periods to take effect would have happened much sooner.. having to chase the puck makes it that much harder to forecheck like we want..

Date: March 27, 2005 06:41PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

Minny just controlled the puck for too much of the game. Looked like we turned it on for the 3rd, but couldn't handle how many skilled Gophers there were on the ice. I, for one, wasn't expecting the team to get so far this year, and can't wait for another shot next year.

I was watching at a bar, with no sound. Anything of note happen audibly? The cowbell got in?[/q]

Overrated Minnesota got in.. I wanted us to be in MA and Boston College to be in Minnesota. EVERYTHING IS WRONG. :-/ bang

Re: MINNESOTA SUCKS
Posted by: Rita (204.95.232.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:43PM

Yes, MINNESOTA DOES SUCK!! (hey i need to direct all my anti-yankee anger somewhere else now that the sox have finally won a world series, and the gophers are as "deserving" a team as any).

I admit, I was getting nervous at the end of the game with o'byrne on the ice. that last sequence o'byrne had a chance to play the puck without a gopher right on him, but he opted to try and get a tie up by working the puck on the boards. the refs won't give him that. they wouldn't give that to me in women's rec hockey, so i couldn't imagine college refs allowing it.

however, before the puck wound up in the corner the red had at least one chance to clear the zone. and the gopher who scored the game winner was pretty open in the slot.

during the game, i wasn't as nervous about our "lack of shots/scoring opportunities" as the tv announcers were (btw, could that guy, was it bob, wear anymore maroon and gold???). we got chances, just came up a goal short today.

although i'm disappointed right now, I am grateful that the BIG RED got as far as they did and competed very well. they had a GREAT SEASON! I'm grateful that I got to watch both games this weekend, AND have sound!!

and i'm hoping that colorado college wins it all. they are a small school and they got somewhat screwed by the ncaa. and they are from colorado, the home of the fabulous charlotte and altitude, who enable many of us "displaced cornellians" to watch the games this weekend.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:43PM

That may be the case, we'll never know, but we have to be able toi win on all sizes of ice to win the BIg Crown. That's a fact.

What struck me most from this tourney was the small size of the Boston schools compared to NoDAK. BC & BU looked tiny.

Schafer holding at 199 wins..... Till next year. I still believe he's going to eventually eclipse Ned Harkness.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:45PM

BC and BU were tiny. UNH not that big either. But that's HE

Date: March 27, 2005 06:48PM

I'm proud of EVERYONE of those kids on the team, and it's now very apparent that had we been seeded in the East, we probably would have been in the Frozen Four, based on how poorly BU & BC played.

Date: March 27, 2005 06:49PM

Yes, there is a talent gap. I think there probably always will be a talent gap between teams like North Dakota, Mich., Minnesota, etc and the ECAC teams. But, I honestly feel that Mike Schaefer is the element that will allow Cornell to overcome that talent gap. Yes, teams like Minnesota will appear to dominate Cornell. But, in reality, if the team plays Mike's sytem, TO THE LETTER, like this year's team did, they can overcome the talent gap and win anyway. They almost did that today! And, it almost happened against a Minnesota team enjoying a definite home-ice advantage. That's close!
I've been saying since the beginning of the 2003-2004 season: "the 2005-2006 year is going to be Cornell's year." The progress shown by the 2004-2005 team has been a pleasant surprise. It gives me even more hope for that 2005-2006 team. Look out hockey world, The Big Red's coming!!! (unfortunately, that's next year).

Posted by: SCREW MINNE (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:49PM

The size of the rink was not the problem. You have to play well on all ice to be the best team. I'm not pissed about the size of the ice. I'm pissed that they're playing at home. NCAA regionals were supposed to be held on neutral ices. Their fans got to go to the game and we didn't. Minnesota had been playing in that rink for how many years? That was our second game there.

My point is, you can make the rink as big as you want, but please please please don't allow any team to play at home next year when everyone else is playing on "neutral ice."

Date: March 27, 2005 06:55PM

[Q]redice Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:

Facetimer Wrote:

O'BYRNE SUCKS

Cost us both goals.[/Q]
O'Byrne is a sophomore. He's going to be a great player.[/Q]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/27/05 06:27PM by redice.[/q]

How good was Iggy when he was a sophomore? How about Pegs? How about Paolini?

OB is a sophomore and he is playing a huge role for the team. How many minutes does he log each night? That should say enough!

He was obviously trying to freeze the puck for his exhausted team, the ref wouldn't blow the quick whistle like he did all game, Minny got the puck loose and took advantage of our flatfooted, exhausted team. OB's man DID NOT score the goal.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 06:55PM

I think we lost because we did not generate nearly enough shots on goal. We were lucky to make it past Ohio State on Saturday with an equally meager offensive output. Granted, the three goals on Saturday were pretty, but we were almost outshot 2:1. Today, basically the same story and we only managed to come up with a (very pretty 3-on-1) SHG. Can't win a major tournament game if you don't put the puck on the net. I'd dare say the larger sheet of ice had its effect on us. But, you play to win, and today we just did not seem to have the killer instinct, which was too bad.

The loss did not negate the fact that our beloved Big Red had a fabulous season, with several records falling and a hot sophomore goalie among the ten Hobey Baker Award finalists. It has been fun to follow this team, especially since January 8. I, for one, thank Coach Schafer and the team--especially the seniors--for another outstanding season.

Until October.... B-]

Date: March 27, 2005 06:56PM

Amen ! I'm with yah brother on that one ! Otherwise let's have the regional at Lynah !! and see how the WCHA likes to play in front of the full-faithful !

I'm for NoDak know.. Screw BU and MINNIE tooo!!!!

Date: March 27, 2005 07:00PM

[Q]abmarks Wrote:

Noone can say we cant play with the big boys. OT one-goal loss? We played our game against them the way you had to on that big sheet. On a normal sheet we'd have more shots, but I think it was well coached. A TON of those shots had no chance at all - either bad angle or long shot that was seen all the way in.

We also didn't have too many PP chances either...especially with the whistles tucked in the third and OT. Ans special teams was the hallmark all year.

Well-played I say. I wonder what the result would be if we went back to lynah and played minny again?

Well done Red. Keep going next year. [/q]

I second that entire post.

Date: March 27, 2005 07:00PM

Let's keep in mind the regionals in our own backyard for the next two years ... :-D
[www.ncaasports.com]

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:02PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

Let's keep in mind the regionals in our own backyard for the next two years ...[/q]

And as we are NOT a host school we have no guarantee of being there.

Date: March 27, 2005 07:03PM

True. But the committee proved this year that it will move teams around for no reason, so we'll see what happens ...

In any case, plenty more hockey before we get to that point.

Date: March 27, 2005 07:04PM

[Q]Chief AA Bear Wrote:

I'm for NoDak know.. [/q]

I could never bring myself to rooting for a team with leather seats in their stadium...gotta go with a small school, CC or Denver. Denver won last year so I'm going with CC. B-]

Posted by: CAAB (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:05PM

We might as well be. I don't think rebuilding lynah to hold 8,000 would get us host status anyway, and you can be sure that RIP and ONION won't be around for the NCAA's with their woeful programs.

Date: March 27, 2005 07:06PM

Wow, if we get NoDak in ND next year.. it will be the most messed up thing ever.

Posted by: Rita (204.95.232.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:14PM

start saving $$ and submit your request for vacation time now. with the nc$$ its more than possible....:-D

too bad the wcha can't lobby the nc$$ to do a "flip-flop" and put this year's FF in the pepsi arena and the 2008 (??) in columbus. but then again, travel expenses shouldn't be much of a problem if the participating conferences, oops conference, get the majority of the ff revenue.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:21PM

Sucks.

Why do I feel like a Red Sox fan all of a sudden?

Kyle

Posted by: Denison 71 (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:21PM

I hate to say it but I think that we were outplayed 2 periods to 1 so the score is not too far from reality.

It has been a great year and I won't soon forget Iggy's flying goal yesterday--what effort after 2-3 minutes on PK

Thank you Coach & Big Red

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:22PM

O'Byrne should have been bench before we even started the ECAC playoffs. Glover played better then he did when filling in for injured Gleed. Don't forget that McKee bailed out O'byrne in the first period when he turned it over right in front of our goal. I gasp everytime he touches the puck because I am afraid what foolish mistake he will make next. I agree with the previous posts O'byrne should have a clue by now--he has no excuses! Watching the game though you can tell that Minny was quicker than our fastest skaters. I think Peggy, Scott, and the Abbotts should attend the skate camp that Vesce went too. Vesce was a very powerful skater when he returned from that camp. I applaud our team for a great season, thank you seniors! O'byrne, quit stinking up the rink stupid

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:23PM

I'm not going to blame the game on the ice size, it didn't lose the game for us, but it did change the game significantly. I have watched a number of Cornell hockey games this year and I have never seen games flow or move like that. I can't say we lost because of it and I will *not* make it an excuse - we have to learn to play on the surfaces we're given, and we did a very good job of adjusting by the end.

*But* to deny it makes a significant difference is to be blind. The movement, flow, and pace of the game were dramatically different from any hockey I've seen this year - well, except when I catch Gopher games on FSN-North.

It hurt us, its not the reason, but it did change things signficantly.

The good news, the next two years, it seems, all 8 regionals, and I have to assume the Frozen Fours, are on standard North American rinks (I can't confirm the Resch Center in Green Bay, anyone?). Its a shame UND gets home ice next year, but at least there's no concern over the rink changes.

Also, lay off O'Byrne. It wasn't just him on that play. A few guys were our of position and/or anticipated wrong. It was a shame, but shit happens. It'll be awesome motivation for our 37-0 season next year ;)

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:30PM

How long did we wait for Iggy to get his shit together?

Posted by: red4ever (66.205.59.---)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:32PM

so o'byrne might have had a few bad plays....but we lost the game because the team as a whole couldn't get the puck to the other side of the rink to score more. you can't pin the whole game on a few bad plays, where were our top scorers when we needed a few goals?!?!

Date: March 27, 2005 07:35PM

i agree lay off o'byrne....the whole team was out there to lose the game. where were our top scorers when we needed a few goals? the game isn't lost on one or two plays, the game is just ended by them. the team lost the game

Date: March 27, 2005 07:39PM

It recently came out that Mike had David McKee looking at videos of all the goals that he allowed last year to focus on how to prevent them this year. I hope he does that for O'Byrne this off season.

Date: March 27, 2005 07:40PM

Hey, the team did great. When you go into OT, its a lot about luck. Sometimes it breaks your way, sometimes it doesn't. The team did great. You put us on a surface that we had to adjust to, haven't played on since 2002 (a game that ended similarly painfully), make us face 6 or 8 Power Plays of a high scoring team, in their home rink in front of 9000 fans.

We were and should have been better than them, but we overcame a lot. I'm damn proud of them for showing that even with just about everything against them, they were inches and minutes from being able to pull it off, and showing that they could adjust and learn to even dominate in such an environment.

I am damn proud of this team and they will be back. In Schafer we trust, but even He ( ;-) ) can't win them all.

Date: March 27, 2005 07:40PM

he probably does that to a lot of the players

Date: March 27, 2005 07:43PM

ditto

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:44PM

[Q]rYe Wrote: O'Byrne did make a terrible play mid way through, followed by a penalty but that did not cost a goal. I just dont see why he did not clear the puck off the glass. He had 2 chances to do so and then he gave up the puck and tried to tie it up behind the net. I thought McKee made a great save on the first shot but no help on the rebound and he had no chance. [/q]O'Byrne did not cost us the game. It looked like the line was tired and he wanted to freeze the puck for a faceoff. If he cleared it off the glass it would have gone to the Gopher at the point who would have taken a slap shot that would be tipped in and we'd lose anyhow (maybe). He didn't cost us the game any more than the rest of the skaters out there who weren't in position to clear away the rebound. Or than Mckee cost us the game by not having his stick down square in the middle of the second period.

Duffy Dougherty, the old Michigan State football coach, said something to the effect of, "Any damn fool can tell me the play I should have called, come Monday morning. It's harder when you've got 25 seconds to pick the right play on Saturday afternoon."

Amazing effort. Amazing effort by the ECAC despite going 1-3 for the weekend. Harvard and Colgate came close to knocking off their opponents. We came darn close here.

Earlier on in a different thread I said the 200x100 *home ice* surface of the Gophers shouldn't be an excuse for losing, but it could well be a reason. What do we think the score would have been at Lynah?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:47PM

I'm not going to say that Cornell was definitely outplayed, because I'm not willing to second-guess Schafer's system given my relative lack of experience. E.g., I don't think shots on goal are necessarily a reasonable way of judging talent or effectiveness: it's perfectly reasonable for a team with a particular system to be outshot 2-1 or even 3-1 and still win consistently, if part of their system is being patient with shots.

That said... I don't think this was the case in the last two games. To my eyes they were being badly beaten for two periods even when comparing defensive skills---the breakout especially. I was worried every minute of the last two games, and this is almost never the case during ECAC play. Something isn't working against these western teams, and I hope Schafer figures it out over the next year.

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: March 27, 2005 07:50PM

Its called the room to move around on that ice.

I don't want it to be excuse, but that can be part of the reason. Our NCAA games in 2002 and 2003 looked nothing like these. We may not always have won, but at least the games looked like they usually do.

No big ice in the NCAAs until at least 2008, unless the Resch Center is.

Posted by: Mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 07:56PM

To all of you who are saying its obryne's fault. Youre really starting to piss me off. Lay off the kid. He is out there working his ass of for you guys. He is out there doing his best. Id like to see you guys get out there and work your ass of take the hits make the plays skate your hardest. And he makes a couple of mistakes and your on him. I mean yes a part of both those goals were his fault but what about mckee (who by the way was standing on his head out there!! amazing performance) who shouldhave had his stick down. His one and only mistake. Ive never seen a better goaltending performance then that. And on the secon goal...what about the ref?? I know the rule as if the puck is held up for 3-4 seconds play is blown dead. Obryne had it held for atleast six seconds. Cornell fans have alot to look forward to with one of the best goaltenders coming back next year and this amazing junior class we have coming back next season also. Now on to aseball. Lets go Red Sox!!

Posted by: Nathan Chicowdy 92 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:23PM

What do we need to do to be the "host school" for a regional in Buffalo, Albany or . . . gasp . . . MSG? Whatever it is, the AD should get it done this summer.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:25PM

At this level of play - this is not rec league hockey - it's okay to point fingers if the guy really is to blame. Several tired players executed imperfectly in the final minute so IMO it's not okay to blame one guy.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:25PM

[Q]Mike Wrote:

To all of you who are saying its obryne's fault. Youre really starting to piss me off. Lay off the kid. He is out there working his ass of for you guys. He is out there doing his best. Id like to see you guys get out there and work your ass of take the hits make the plays skate your hardest. And he makes a couple of mistakes and your on him. I mean yes a part of both those goals were his fault but what about mckee (who by the way was standing on his head out there!! amazing performance) who shouldhave had his stick down. His one and only mistake. Ive never seen a better goaltending performance then that. And on the secon goal...what about the ref?? I know the rule as if the puck is held up for 3-4 seconds play is blown dead. Obryne had it held for atleast six seconds. Cornell fans have alot to look forward to with one of the best goaltenders coming back next year and this amazing junior class we have coming back next season also. Now on to aseball. Lets go Red Sox!! [/q]

You're right, as long as everyone is out there trying their best, we all go home winners! screwy

Face it, O'Byrne sucks, and we all know it. There have been threads and polls about this all over the eLynah Forum. This isn't new. Hockey players get it all at Cornell: easy courses and grading, ass, "need-based" financial aid, and respect (not to mention favorable admissions). All the other guys on the team earn it. It's time for O'Byrne to step up and earn his keep.

I hope he has a LONG horrible off-season.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:33PM

It's funny, after reading this thread, alot of the posters here are twofaced. All season the team is praised and heralded as a team that deserves a number one seed, and today, you are bashing one of our best defensemen. I am CU fan, I love CU Hockey, and I am not about to let my disapointment that the season is over cloud my judgement to the point were I bash one of the better defensemen on the team!

Posted by: Mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 08:39PM

Dpperk I couldnt agree with you more. Allof you guys bashing obryne. Youre not true fans. One thing goes wrong you bash him. What would you all be saying if he scored. You would all be saying Obryne is the best. Grow up. Hes on a team. A team wins and losses together. Dpperk again I couldnt agree with you more.

Date: March 27, 2005 08:43PM

Mike, I may have some mild criticisms in a few days after the initial pain of losing is over, but I am not going to bash anyone now. It isn't right... summary judgement is never good...

Posted by: dbilmes (---.37.79.112.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:05PM

As disappointing as it was to watch O'Byrne seemingly give away the game, you really can't be too hard on him. Cornell had chances in the 2nd and then early in OT that could have easily lead to goals, and the way Minnesota played in the 1st we could have been out of the game after one period. So, we've got to be happy with the season--winning ECACs and then going out showing we can play with Minny at Minny. Next year looks to be awesome, and we might luck out and get to play NCAAs at Albany, which certainly would give us a big advantage. And, O'Byrne's got a lot of months to think about what happened. We'll be looking at a different player next year.

Date: March 27, 2005 09:07PM

[Q]Mike Wrote:

To all of you who are saying its obryne's fault. Youre really starting to piss me off. Lay off the kid. He is out there working his ass of for you guys. He is out there doing his best. Id like to see you guys get out there and work your ass of take the hits make the plays skate your hardest. And he makes a couple of mistakes and your on him. I mean yes a part of both those goals were his fault but what about mckee (who by the way was standing on his head out there!! amazing performance) who shouldhave had his stick down. His one and only mistake. Ive never seen a better goaltending performance then that. And on the secon goal...what about the ref?? I know the rule as if the puck is held up for 3-4 seconds play is blown dead. Obryne had it held for atleast six seconds. Cornell fans have alot to look forward to with one of the best goaltenders coming back next year and this amazing junior class we have coming back next season also. Now on to aseball. Lets go Red Sox!! [/q]

I can't speak for the rest, but I can say, for myself, that my feelings about O'Byne's play are not about "a couple of mistakes." He's made some really poor decisions with the puck. He's receiving the same coaching that these other fine student/athletes are receiving. But, Ryan's not getting it. The people who say that he's not solely responsible for the defeat are quite correct. But, he was responsible for that puck coming out in front of McKee. That's indisputable. Let there be no mistake, his "couple of mistakes" are but two in a long line of mistakes that he's made. I fully respect the effort that these guys make to be such a great team. Although I don't know that I agree with your assertion that they're doing it for us. I hope they may have other motivations. Also, it's irrelevent whether any of us could/would work our asses off to play hockey. I, for one, would have to turn back the hands of time and that probably still wouldn't make me able to compete at that level. But, I (we) still have the right to voice our opinions. If that pisses you off, so be it. My, the emotions are strong this evening. Oh, an by the way, the Red Sox still suck! :-D

Date: March 27, 2005 09:15PM

I don't think anyone can disagree that O'Byrne makes more than his share of mistakes, and that he really needs to work on some things.

I think the reaction here is not that O'Byrne is perfect, or even that he doesn't need improvement in some critical ways, but just that with everything that went on today, with 2 or 3 mistakes on that final play, with McKee not getting his stick down on the first goal, with our inability to get many offensive opportunities before the late 3rd... its not fair to put the loss all on O'Byrne. He may have made some mistakes, that, in part lead to the goals, but it was far from the only thing that went wrong today. And even with all that, we still were in a tremendous position to win the game.

Yes, O'Byrne makes mistakes, more than most of the others and probably more than he should, but to put the entire loss on his shoulders isn't fair.

That said, its weird that this was the 'big recruit' we beat Maine out for. Perhaps next time we're against Maine, we shouldn't fight so hard ;). J/k, I think O'Byrne has major potential once he gets his head on straight, and with the way Iggy, Varteressian, and all the others turned out under Schafer's leadership, I don't think we have too much to worry about.

Date: March 27, 2005 09:24PM

Is anyone else thinking: We saw O'Byrne make some mistakes this year that led to some goals ...

... we saw him in the corner from where the puck popped out in the final five seconds of Cornell's season ...

... but maybe Mike Schafer is a better judge of hockey talent than we are and Schafer sees something in O'Byrne that makes O'Byrne a starter?

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:28PM

Well tough game, but really are any of the reasonable posters on this board surprised? We all know Cornell can beat any team when they are on their game, but most people thought this team wasn't as good as the Frozen Four team. And also many thought they were better than the 01-02 team. That puts us somewhere between losing the regional final and making the frozen four, so i think an OT loss in this game was about where everyone thought this team should be.

It was pretty clear that it took the guys too long to get into their game, but once we did we were really taking it to Minny. The shot differential may look bad, but i agree with earlier posts that a lot of the shots weren't great scoring chances .

That said the OT loss sucked, but you can't pin it on O'Byrne. The ref had a quick whistle all day along the boards, and Cornell had just come from a pretty sustained shift in the Minny zone. O'Bryne looked like he was trying to get his teammates a chance to change up, the whistle didn't blow and we got burned. Ryan's man was the guy he pinned to the boards, not the one who took the puck and scored. No one jumped on Sasha when he took a bad line on Fritsche yesterday - if this OT goal had come in regulation this would be an afterthought, but that's just my opinion.

Great season, great seniors and can't wait for next year

Date: March 27, 2005 09:33PM

Can't wait for Age to reset the countdown timer to the first faceoff this fall.

Date: March 27, 2005 09:34PM

I didnt say O'Byrne cost the game. He def. did NOT. You are right about Cornell not being in position. Clearing it off the glass correctly leads to the puck being cleared out to center ice. Not to the de. As for McKee, i feel he does deserve the Hobey. People thought just because he had a great defensive team in front of him, this is reason for his great stats. He proved all of them that he can hold his own. But we already knew this.

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:45PM

Hey, guys. Unlike in 02-03, I think if anyone of us had been asked in November where we expected this season to end we would have been more than satisfied to hear an overtime loss AT Minnesota in the final eight after an ECAC title. Yes, McKee could have had his stick down on the first goal and yes O'Byrne could have cleared the puck (or the ref could have whistled it dead), but we never had the puck in the Minnesota end in nearly all of the first two periods. No one is perfect, and if McKee wasn't as good as he is and the defense wasn't as tight as it is we could have easily been down 3-0 by the middle of the second and had no chance.
I give this team great credit for dominating Harvard after going down a goal in the ECAC's, hanging in against OSU and then turning it on after a rough start, and never giving up and even forcing OT against Minnesota when everything in the world was favoring the Gophers (what the hell kind of a mascot is that?). They never once hung their heads despite some pretty big adversities. (Think we had enough penalties in both games?)
We are losing some key players, but we are not losing a large number of them. This loss should motivate this team to go even further next year.

LET"S GO RREEEDDDDDD!

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 09:53PM

i think something to consider about ryan is how much ice time he logs. no one cheers him when he makes a good play, no one applauds a good play 2 hours after it happens, no one says "yes" to the routine rubout or poke check but a guy makes a mistake in a high pressure situation that leads to a goal, or 2, in a game in which what, 18 guys, were involved over 60+ minutes of play and it is his fault? what about hte missed open net, what about the miscue on the one-timer, what about the broken up play on a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 or stupid penalties cornell took in the first period? these all factored into the loss. I say, Ryan, keep your head up.You are a workhorse who will improve over time. He will be a great defenseman, I see what coach sees on this one.

what i find interesting is that the criticism here is huge but even less than the minne fans praise cornell is getting.

This team should hang their heads high for playing 6++ periods of NCAA hockey in front of a raucus group of faithful in an oppposing favored teams barn and playing to the teeth. SOG are misleading, as said above. Cornell played their system and made some uncharacteristic mistakes. but good team force these mistakes -> minne is a good team. thanks for a great season, RED.

hopefully next year i can make some more games, hopefully RIT will be in rochester and hopefully niagara will be here in buffalo. I forsee a strong season next year and i want my frozen four tickets now. I said this team would be VERY good last year and this year I am saying next year will be BETTER.

LGR!

Date: March 27, 2005 09:55PM

cth, amen, well said

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:01PM

I think part of the blame being assigned to O'Byrne is because those of us who tend to read this forum tend to look for him to screw up. I mean, once you have the "Asset or Liability" poll for a guy, people are going to keep track of when he screws up. Now, in the Clarkson game, he definitely gave away a goal. Not this time. Trying to freeze the puck in the corner at the end of a long shift, losing it, and having that happen with a guy totally wide open in front of your net -- thats mostly bad luck. If Downs or Cook or Gleed had done the same thing, we probably wouldn't be talking about it. And while he may have had a chance to clear, its not like trying to freeze the puck along the boards to stop play is the "dumbest thing ever". Geez, give the guy a break. And hey -- its not like Doug Murray never took a dumb penalty.

I wish they had shown a clearer replay of that goal. We did an incredible job protecting the low slot all game. How did someone get that open in front of McKee is the real question. Someone else must have been out of position for things to be that uncontested.

That was a bitter loss. I was hoping this was going to be a great NCAA year for us, and the ECAC. Instead, we are going to have to now suffer with continued "western bias" in college hockey, where we continue to be considered the EZAC.

I'd like to see that game played again, on a neutral, NHL sheet with Cornell in the white jerseys. Oh, and maybe a little more balanced officiating. It is tough to sort out what that game would have looked like without the Gophers having so many advantages.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:09PM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

I think O'Byrne was more at fault for the first goal then the second. Where was everyone in front on the last goal. Knoefli turned the wrong way, both D were in the corner, and the other person out front just got plain beat by the pass in front.[/q]

Well, Downs was in the corner because he had to help O'Byrne out with two Minnesota guys on him along the boards.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:10PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:
I was watching at a bar, with no sound. Anything of note happen audibly? The cowbell got in?[/q]

According to a text message from Judy, the cowbell got confiscated even though it was with the band.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:18PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Its called the room to move around on that ice.

I don't want it to be excuse, but that can be part of the reason. Our NCAA games in 2002 and 2003 looked nothing like these. We may not always have won, but at least the games looked like they usually do.

No big ice in the NCAAs until at least 2008, unless the Resch Center is.[/q]

Resch Center is the home for USHL junior hockey - Green Bay Gamblers - where Mazelloni (or however you spell his name) went at the end of last season. I think junior hockey tends to be NHL-sized, but am not postive about that.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:27PM

Gee, I must have seen a totally different game. I saw Cornell play their game to a T, holding (sometimes, literally ;-) ) a significantly faster, higher finesse, 2-time National Champion in the previous 3 seasons to 1 goal in regulation, gradually picking up the pace until they actually controlled the game for a stretch in the third period and overtime, finally nearly winning what would have been the greatest road victory in the program's history.

But apparently in the real game, we sucked, Minny sucked, and it was all one guy's fault.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:47PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Gee, I must have seen a totally different game. I saw Cornell play their game to a T, holding (sometimes, literally ) a significantly faster, higher finesse, 2-time National Champion in the previous 3 seasons to 1 goal in regulation, gradually picking up the pace until they actually controlled the game for a stretch in the third period and overtime, finally nearly winning what would have been the greatest road victory in the program's history.

But apparently in the real game, we sucked, Minny sucked, and it was all one guy's fault.[/q]

i concur

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2005 10:53PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

KP '06 Wrote:

Let's keep in mind the regionals in our own backyard for the next two years ...[/Q]
And as we are NOT a host school we have no guarantee of being there.
[/q]

We have no guarantee of even being in the tournament next year. Hope, certainly; expectation, perhaps. Not having submitted a winning bid to host a regional, there are two routes to staying close to home, assuming the team is selected - 1) win enough games to be in the #1 band or 2) get in a lower band and have a roughly 25% chance of landing in each of the four sites ("roughly" because a host team might be in bands 2-4 and take one such slot).

Let's go Red!!!

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:30PM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

Gee, I must have seen a totally different game. I saw Cornell play their game to a T, holding (sometimes, literally ) a significantly faster, higher finesse, 2-time National Champion in the previous 3 seasons to 1 goal in regulation, gradually picking up the pace until they actually controlled the game for a stretch in the third period and overtime, finally nearly winning what would have been the greatest road victory in the program's history.

But apparently in the real game, we sucked, Minny sucked, and it was all one guy's fault.[/Q]
i concur[/q]

Me too, as did several around me at Ship of Fools. But on the actual game-winning goal, mistakes were made (of course) by the individuals mentioned. And even when we did get our act together on offense, we didn't control the play as much as many here are accustomed to seeing vs. ECACHL squads. That's the reason for the over-reaction.

Posted by: visitingguy (---.mn.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:31PM

I didn't see any horrible calls on any of those penalties. CU got called for more penalties because they could not keep up with the faster Gopher skaters, so they had to hold and use the stick alot more. When one team plays another team that has more speed and skill, that's what happens.

If you say that you wish you could have seen the game played on NHL sized ice, or at Lynah, don't you think the Gophers wish they could have played the game with their leading scorer (Hirsch) and their best defenseman/power play quarterback (Goligoski)? Enough whining . .. you play the hand you are dealt.

Finally, quit the excuse making for the shot disparity. Sure, many of the Gopher's shots were from the perimeter or not really great scoring chances . . . well neither were many of CU's 18 shots. Briggs was really tested maybe a couple of times all game. If the shoe were on the other foot, and you had won the game by a goal while outshooting the gophers more than 2 to 1, you would have said that the shots on goal were a sign of domination.

[Q]Mike Nevin Wrote:

I think part of the blame being assigned to O'Byrne is because those of us who tend to read this forum tend to look for him to screw up. I mean, once you have the "Asset or Liability" poll for a guy, people are going to keep track of when he screws up. Now, in the Clarkson game, he definitely gave away a goal. Not this time. Trying to freeze the puck in the corner at the end of a long shift, losing it, and having that happen with a guy totally wide open in front of your net -- thats mostly bad luck. If Downs or Cook or Gleed had done the same thing, we probably wouldn't be talking about it. And while he may have had a chance to clear, its not like trying to freeze the puck along the boards to stop play is the "dumbest thing ever". Geez, give the guy a break. And hey -- its not like Doug Murray never took a dumb penalty.

I wish they had shown a clearer replay of that goal. We did an incredible job protecting the low slot all game. How did someone get that open in front of McKee is the real question. Someone else must have been out of position for things to be that uncontested.

That was a bitter loss. I was hoping this was going to be a great NCAA year for us, and the ECAC. Instead, we are going to have to now suffer with continued "western bias" in college hockey, where we continue to be considered the EZAC.

I'd like to see that game played again, on a neutral, NHL sheet with Cornell in the white jerseys. Oh, and maybe a little more balanced officiating. It is tough to sort out what that game would have looked like without the Gophers having so many advantages.

[/q]

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2005 11:54PM

Kudos to Krantz and Moulson making the all-regional team.

Posted by: DKmathteacher (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:14AM

who ever the **** you are, you have some b***s to be posting your s*** on ELF.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:43AM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

But apparently in the real game, we sucked, Minny sucked, and it was all one guy's fault.[/Q]
i concur[/q]Star, J., Concurring in Part

I obviously don't think it was O'Byrne's fault that Cornell lost. This may have to do with my poor TiVo skills (I missed the OT) but enough people have explained the logic of O'Byrne's attempted freeze that I wish the bashers would STFU.

As for the rest of the game, Cornell was badly outplayed for ~50 minutes. Minnesota only scored once, and their high shot total belies a dearth of quality scoring chances, but that is a function of the quality of our defense (which didn't seem affected by the big sheet). OTOH, our offense was pitiful.

The passing and stickhandling was as poor as I've seen from Cornell in years. Cornell was constantly overskating the puck and simply falling down. I can't count the number of times a Red skater just left the puck sitting on the ice for a Minnesota player to pick it up. IMHO, the big sheet played a huge role. The Red spent a lot of time waiting for the puck to come to them only to have a Gopher cut it off. They never seemed to get used to how long it would take for the puck to reach them or how wide the ice was for passing. The aggressive Gopher forecheck was giving Cornell fits as well; Cornell adjusted well enough to keep the interior passing lanes closed off, but the puck was in the Cornell defensive zone more than it has been all year.

On defense Cornell closed the lanes and played a tight box, neutralizing the effect of the big ice (but allowing Minnesota to keep the puck for insanely long stretches on the perimeter). On offense the angles were different, the players weren't used to them and it showed.

As for the announcers, I'm not sure why everyone has such a problem with them. Minnesota held the puck for roughly the first 40 minutes. With the exception of the shorty, there was nothing to compliment Cornell for except for McKee - and they praised the hell out of McKee. They also astutely predicted that the big Cornell skaters grind down their opposition. Lo and behold, in the last half of period 3, when Cornell was skating circles around an exhausted Minnesota team, the announcers noted it and began praising Cornell.

The last 10 minutes of regulation was the team that I saw in Albany; I am really looking forward to 2005-06.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:49AM

Back from Minneshita. Regarding O'Byrne, I thought he played his best game of the season against Ohio State and as was mentioned by most, he was absolutely brutal today and more or less cost Cornell the game. I didn't really understand why he let the guy go on the first goal. As far as I'm concerned, all defensemen are going to get beat, but when they do, THAT is when you pull the guy down and take a penalty. Anyways, I like O'Byrne and think he is an outstanding defenseman; I really do. He is still rough around the edges and I can certainly understand the criticism he is getting for today's game, but again, I think he brings a lot to the table and will only get better. Moulson had the thing wrapped up just minutes before until the play was blown dead on man in the crease. I actually thought the officiating was fine. Cornell looked lost on the big ice at times this weekend, but really found their confort zone in the third period. There is no question that it would have been a different game on NA ice but Cornell absolutely had a shot at winning today all the same. I thought Pokuluk and Krantz both had very good weekends considering the situation (except for Pokuluk totally getting beat on the first OSU goal). I never thought I would miss this year's seniors as much as I do already. They are the best senior class as far as leadership I have ever seen at Cornell.
Now I said a few weeks ago when there were like 8 games left in the regular season that I saw no reason as to why Cornell couldn't run the table through to the NCAA's. They did that. Now I think there will be some question marks on the blueline and in filling in for the checking line forwards (Iggulden and Knoepfli) for next season, but I firmly believe that they will have a better season next year.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2005 01:56AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 02:25AM

I saw the same game you did, except that I thought Minny did have several Grade A chances (maybe not as many as against Maine), but they were denied by McKee.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 10:27AM

6 months, 23 days until the Ehibition game

Posted by: KenP (192.133.17.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:02AM

Luck was on Cornell's side for much of the first period. Minnesota's power-play slap shot that rang off the post was an absolute laser. :-O And don't forget about their play setting up the back door shot when the Goofer's stick broke. rolleyes Their passing was a thing of beauty. EASILY could have been 2-0 or worse after the first period.

Mitch Carefoot, thank you! woot My wife chewed my ass off for almost waking the kids (I was watching the game on tape-delay), but that SHG was like a ray of sunshine on a stormy day. :-D :-D :-D

David v Goliath, USA v USSR, whatever the metaphor. It was an excellent game, and midway through the 3rd I started believing we actually could pull off the incredible upset. Wasn't meant to be. We join the ranks of 15 other NCAA Tournament teams who end their season with a disappionting loss.

Thank you Coach, thank you Captains, thank you players! This was a fun year to be a Big Red fan, and before I look forward to next year, I'm going to relax, close my eyes, and enjoy the accomplishments from this season. rock rock

Posted by: jaybert (---.nc.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:24AM

I watched the stick breaking shot a few times...Mckee had it covered, the puck wasnt going in if the shot was kept low but if the guy could of gotten under it and lifted it, then yes, it would of probably been 2-0.

Date: March 28, 2005 11:40AM

[Q]Jason L Wrote:

I watched the stick breaking shot a few times...Mckee had it covered, the puck wasnt going in if the shot was kept low but if the guy could of gotten under it and lifted it, then yes, it would of probably been 2-0.[/q]

The stick broke when it hit the post - puck couldn't have been lifted....

And for everyone who says mckees stick wasnt on the ice, it was. the puck didnt go under the stick. Look closely at the replay. It went to the left (on the TV angle) of the flat portion of the blade, underneath the upward portion (sort of underneath the 45 degree angled area of the paddle).

Posted by: jaybert (---.nc.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 11:49AM

I know..I'm saying even if the stick didnt break, I doubt it would of been a goal. the puck was close to mckee's pads that it would of been difficult for the shooter to lift the puck off the ice. if had just shot it, mckee's pad would of prevented the goal.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:09PM

Anyone who thinks O'Byrne shouldn't be out there playing isn't paying attention. Yes, he is rough around the edges and has made some mistakes. But he logs a lot of minutes and has played a lot of good defense for Cornell. No reason to think he won't continue to improve either.

The way I see it Cornell played the style they had to this weekend. Both games unfolded the same wayL outshot and outskated early with the Red eventually wearing the opponent down and gaining territorial advantage late. The Cornell defense bent but didn't break, holding off long enough to give the team a chance to win. If we played Minnesota ten times on their ice I think we'd win 3 or 4 of them.

The big ice clearly had an effect on the game. If the contest had been played on NA ice it plays out very differently. I'm not saying that we would definitely have won (Minnesota is a very good team with excellent puck handling skills), but the territorial advantage the Gophers enjoyed wouldn't have been thee, IMO.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 28, 2005 12:59PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Is anyone else thinking: We saw O'Byrne make some mistakes this year that led to some goals ...

... we saw him in the corner from where the puck popped out in the final five seconds of Cornell's season ...

... but maybe Mike Schafer is a better judge of hockey talent than we are and Schafer sees something in O'Byrne that makes O'Byrne a starter? [/q]

Cf. Cornell vs. Clarkson, 03/15/97, Jason Dailey:

[www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:13PM

In my opinion, Ryan O'Byrne will be one of the top defensemen in the ECAC next season and one of the best ni the country by his senior year. Like power forwards, big, physical defensemen tend to take a relatively long time to develop.

I think a lot of the criticism O'Byrne has taken on this forum this season has been unfair. Though he has been prone to making some mistakes, he has the time and the capacity to improve his play.

The fact that O'Byrne gets a ton of ice time and is given the green light to carry the puck out of the zone speaks volumes about him and his abilities.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 01:22PM

[Q]cbuckser Wrote:

The fact that O'Byrne gets a ton of ice time and is given the green light to carry the puck out of the zone speaks volumes about him and his abilities.[/q]

Then maybe O'Byrne isn't the problem. Maybe the blame should lie on Coach's shoulders for trying to get too much out of him. Just because a guy gets a lot of ice time doesn't make him a good player.

Either way, both goals were caused by O'Byrne. Shape up or ship out!

To all those that defend him, please enlighten me: give me an example of O'Byrne not sucking.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login