Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Krzysztof drafted... sorta

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Krzysztof drafted... sorta
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2002 03:00PM

The United Hockey League held it's amateur draft a couple weeks ago and our very own Mr. Krzysztof Wieckowski was picked up by the Adirondack (Glens Falls) team. I have a hunch this is quite non-binding, because the players could easily get another, better offer.

There are a few other ECAC names on there, such as Mr. Way-Too-Long-Name (Ellis-Toddington) and Matt Poapst of Clarkson - drafted by Binghamton (B.C) and New Haven respectively - Steve Munn of RPI and Russ Bartlett of SLU(t) by Elmira.

And our very own (yes, you heard it here first)... Matt Underhill by Elmira - keep dreaming guys, but hey, can't blame them for trying ;-) .

Btw, after only joining this board mid-way through the season, I have to say it's downright scary how quiet it's gotten, though I understand... but still, just freaky... only 203 days left! ;-)

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Re: Krzysztof drafted... sorta
Posted by: jeh25 (---.9.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 30, 2002 04:45PM

Well, Dan Lombard of Yale played a couple of games with the UHL New Haven Knights before signing with the AHL team in Bridgeport.

Hell, if Elmira could get 2 weeks out of Matt, it would probably be worth their trouble.....

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2002 05:13PM

Yeah...I read the draftees for the Elmira Jackals a couple weeks ago (therefore, I didn't hear it here first, Fred ;-) ). Not only did they "draft" Underhill, but also St. Lawrence NHL draftees Ray DiLauro and Russ Bartlett. Good luck.

However, I just read that RPI senior defensman Steve Munn just started playing for the Jackals in time for the playoffs...and he's already received a 1-game suspension for picking up an instigator penalty. There's quite a few ECAC alumni who play in the UHL.

On a completely random note, in doing a Google search for the story, I stumbled across the fact that there once existed a man named Elliott Underhill. Weird. [swoodbridge.com]

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2002 05:43PM

that would be so much cooler if he was from Dryden

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2002 05:59PM

Erasmo saltarelli from Prin has played for the BC Icemen for 3 seasons now. Also, 2 of the 3 or 4 goalies Elmira has used this year are recent SLU grads. The names escape me right now.

Clarkson grad Hugo Belanger is in his 2nd yr with the Adirondack club and was league MVP last year. Doug Stienstra played with that club last year. Carl Drakensjo from Clarkson is with Elmira this year. Thats a sampling of ECAC alumni in the league.

If you get a chance to see a Jackals game in Elmira this year, ck it out...the Coach USA arena in downtown Elmira is quite a nice facility and they pack the place! I was able to get to a game earlier this winter.

Posted by: redice (---.usadatanet.net)
Date: March 30, 2002 07:57PM

Rumor has it that Matt Underhill has a more "personal" connection with the Elmira area right now. That might inspire him to give the Elmira Jackals more consideration than you might think. The Jackals would love to have him. Jackals #1 goalie, Vermont grad Christian Soucy, may be ready to hang em up. The current #2 Jackals goalie is Jeremy Symington & #3 (seldom dressed) is Sean Coakley (Sp?)....both of SLU

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2002 01:53AM

Speaking of Krzysztof, was he checking ID's at Dunbar's on Thursday? It certainly looked like him, but I couldn't tell for sure especially since we didn't go in because it was too freakin' crowded.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2002 03:35AM

This may have been mentioned on another thread, but Larry Pierce is back from injury and playing for the BC Icemen.

Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2002 01:19PM

Do players who have been drafted by an NHL team (i.e. Underhill) have any commitment to play for them? I would assume not until they actually sign, correct?

commitments
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 31, 2002 02:38PM

Being drafted doesn't imply any commitment to play for the drafting team. In fact, one can be drafted involuntarily. It simply means that the player can only sign with that NHL franchise (or affiliated teams in minor leagues).

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: April 01, 2002 11:36AM

> In fact, one can be drafted involuntarily

See, for example, Eric Lindros and the Quebec Nordiques.

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: April 01, 2002 12:18PM

Greg Berge wrote:

> In fact, one can be drafted involuntarily

See, for example, Eric Lindros and the Quebec Nordiques.
Or, if we want to consider other sports, J.D. Drew and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: April 01, 2002 12:56PM

This discussion seems to be missing the point a little. Everyone is, to some extent, drafted involuntarily. Some leagues require that players declare their eligibility for the draft, but the draft in itself strips these players of their natural free agency. (As far as I can tell, the only players required to declare eligibility are basketball and football players who haven't used up their eligibility. And this is just so the NCAA can kick out anyone who declares just to assert their power by forcing the players to take a huge risk if they want to declare themselves eligible. The NHL and MLB have wholly involuntary drafts.)

Lindros, Drew (and Elway for that matter) were able to use their rare and exceptional ability to bend the rules, but not break them. While none of the above played for the team that drafted them, they had to withhold their services and relegate themselves to the minors in order to do so.

So, no, being drafted does not obligate you to play for the team that drafted you BUT if you want to play in the league that held the draft, you are going to have to play for the team that selected you barring VERY unusual circumstances.

NHL draft eligibility
Posted by: Keith K (---.lmco.com)
Date: April 01, 2002 01:49PM

No, you can opt into the NHL draft as well. The "involuntary" draft only applies to players who have turned 19 by some certain date. But a player can opt in a year early (at 18), thereby giving up NC$$ eligibility.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: April 01, 2002 02:04PM

Clever use of high round draft picks can also be used to gain advantage. If I remember correctly, Raghib "Rocket" Ismail chose to go to Canada and play for the CFL Argonauts for a couple of years after being the 1990 Heisman runner up. In 1991, the Raiders used a 4th round pick to draft Ismail, who was already under contract in Toronto with the Argos. Thus, when Rocket decided to come back to the NFL, he was effectively forced to sign with the Raiders.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (206.254.3.---)
Date: April 01, 2002 02:27PM

IIRC, the Cowboys got the rights to Herschel Walker that way while he was in the USFL. Is that how the Niners got Steve Young (the 40 million dollar man)?

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: April 01, 2002 02:53PM

That's how Tampa Bay got Steve Young - the 49ers traded for him later. And the Rocket chose to sign with the Raiders when they offered him enough to make leaving Canada worthwhile - he could only sign with one team, but he was also good enough to do so on his own terms.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login