Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

road trip of a lifetime

road trip of a lifetime
Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 04:06AM

nothing all that important, just curious if anyone else on this board is too anxious to sleep right now... twitch

I definitely love road trips, but this is way longer and crazier than any other that I have undertaken. The destination: a far off arena where our fans will be outnumbered by a ratio of something along the lines of 16:1. Yet, I think I can speak for myself and the other travelling faithful with this message to the hometown Gopher fans...

flipd BRING IT ON BITCHES!!! flipd

LET'S
GO
RED!!!!!

- Ryan '05 rock

P.S. What can I say? I'm pumped for this trip and amused by the selection of smileys. B-]

Re: road trip of a lifetime
Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 04:16AM

[Q]that loud guy with the hair Wrote:

nothing all that important, just curious if anyone else on this board is too anxious to sleep right now...

I definitely love road trips, but this is way longer and crazier than any other that I have undertaken. The destination: a far off arena where our fans will be outnumbered by a ratio of something along the lines of 16:1. Yet, I think I can speak for myself and the other travelling faithful with this message to the hometown Gopher fans...

BRING IT ON BITCHES!!!

LET'S
GO
RED!!!!!

- Ryan '05

P.S. What can I say? I'm pumped for this trip and amused by the selection of smileys. [/q]

Woot!!

I've been a dedicated fan for 12 years now. The furthest trips I've done have been to Yost in '97, WMU in '02-'03, and the West Regional in Grand Rapids in '97. I'm going to enjoy this one. Crazy? yes. Big? check. Crazy Big? You Betcha. Loooong? Hell ya.

Let's show 'em something!

LET'S GO RED!!!!

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 25, 2005 05:32AM

On my way to the airport right now!!!!

bananabananabananabananabananabananabananabanana

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:31AM

I'm guessing more like 25:1.

So... dead even.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:34AM

Trotsky, I like that! I'm the equivalent of 25 Gopher fans?! The deaf people who sit near me might like to vote on that.

Heading to the airport in T-minus 90 minutes.

Anne '85

Posted by: Tub(a) (12.45.28.---)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:37AM

All you airport people don't know what you are missing :-P

20 hour non-stop bus ride! woot!

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 09:06AM

anyone have last minute suggestions on getting the voice back to form? sore throat is gone...

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: March 25, 2005 12:06PM

Gargle salt water

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 12:28PM

minnesota better get ready b/c the 300 Big Red fans are comin' to rock their world!
time to hit the road, cya'll there :-D

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 02:29PM

I'm off to the airport in about a half hour...I just bought Ken Dryden's The Game to read on the plane...hopefully that creates some sort of good karma. Can't wait for the game - I didn't even sleep last night!

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.libpub.umn.edu)
Date: March 26, 2005 01:00PM

i can't believe i'm here...i can't believe i'm using Minnesota's library computers to post on elynah (muhahaha upto )...i can't believe my parents actually supported this crazy idea...
it's a good thing that i'm about to leave for mariucci now, because i'm not sure i can deal with the anticipation much longer.

LET'S GO RED!!!

also, i agree with Ryan - bring it on, bitches! cuss

- Liz

post-road trip of a lifetime
Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:28PM

straight drive back from Minneapolis, arrived in Ithaca around 1:30

thanks to everyone else that came out for the games

no regrets at all here. except for that OT goal, I had a blast this weekend.

about all I can physically type for now...

time to crawl into bed and pass out for a long time...

Gophers suck.

- Ryan '05

Re: post-road trip of a lifetime
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 28, 2005 04:33PM

[Q]that loud guy with the hair Wrote:

straight drive back from Minneapolis, arrived in Ithaca around 1:30

thanks to everyone else that came out for the games

no regrets at all here. except for that OT goal, I had a blast this weekend.

about all I can physically type for now...

time to crawl into bed and pass out for a long time...

Gophers suck.

- Ryan '05[/q]
Assuming you're the guy a think you are (leading many chants, e.g. Minnesota - sucks, B-R-I-G-G-S sieve, etc.), you were great. Thanks for adding to the experience and glad you guys made it back safely.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2005 07:38PM

Despite the outcome, it was a great trip. I wish more of the faithful could have made it to Minneapolis. I'm guessing there were between 200-300 (closer to 200) and, with the exception of the OT goal, I'm not sure the Red ones weren't louder than the other ones.

The band was great. Those leading the chants were great (pretty ballsy absuing one's hosts when one's outnumbered about 30:1). I don't think the Minny fans sitting on either side of the Cornell section could believe what hit them.

Mariucci is beautiful. The fans suck (doesn't mean they're not nice people), but the arena is nice -- although they have some quirky risk management issues (eg, no netting behind the goals, yet they won't give customers bottles with caps on them for fear someone may throw one or drop one and have someone else slip on it).

Cornell's cheerleaders were better than the Gophettes.

Met some wonderful Minny fans. Heard lots of stories from guys that have had season tickets since the Herb Brooks days: about old Mariucci vs new Mariucci; high school hockey in Minnesota; the new women's arena; the potential influence of taxation on innovation; budget woes for Minnesota schools; why they didn't build a 14,000 seat Mariucci (they still have a waiting list of 2,000 but were afraid they'd end up with too many Badger fans when UW came to town), and on... there are some friendly people out there.

The weather was fantastic.

Did I mention Mariucci is beautiful? I loved the Minny band marching around the entire concourse playing with fans marching behind. I loved all the various displays around the concourse (Olympic medals, NCAA Championships, Hobey Baker, Herb Brooks), the murals depicting their hockey history, the changing of the schools flags when the games on (from maroon with gold M to gold with maroon M), the empty bowl with seats spelling out M...they paid attention to the details. I also heard that North Dakota's Engelstad supposedly makes Mariucci look like a trailer, which is pretty hard to believe.

Anyways, it was fun. Can't wait for next year...

Posted by: A-19 (---.echryh01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:14AM

Drove 24 hours from Minny to NJ, via Ithaca, with Ryan "We'll get there when we get there" Karins and all

I'm definitely interested in hearing more from people who were in attendance with us @ the game. A few random thoughts:

1) It is inexcusable that any school should be allowed to host a regional tournament on its own ice.

2) I was disappointed in Minnesota's fans. First, they weren't even able to pack their own rink both days (cue Jacob's "I drove 19 hours from Ithaca and you can't even sell out your own rink?";). Second, none of them stayed for the OSU game. Third, they appear to have no student section- at least not @ the regionals. Accordingly, no one in the entire rink starts ANY minny cheers except their cheerleaders. Fourth, no creativity whatsoever. Only cheers: "Let's go gophers," "M-I-N-N.." with some unintelligible grunting and lasso-waving that accompanied the goals, and a major U-Mich penalty box ripoff. Fifth, classless. Two examples: When Cook took a slapshot to the throat and hit the ice, they booed for delay of game, and when we lost they personally verbally attacked Cornell fans when filing out of the rink (the "Cornell sucks" variety).

3) I was very proud of the Faithful on location. The creativity and constant noise we generated surprised most of the Minny fans around us. Many of you would be pleased to know that we were a very classy bunch. No anti-Hirsch insults at all, though I had to fight hard against the urge to break into Aerosmith's "Crazy" etc etc etc. Cornell fans know how to win and to lose with class. We definitely left a favorable impression upon those at the game, with regard to the overall dedication and wit of the Cornell fan base. How were Cornell's fans portrayed on TV?

4) The cowbell incident is ridiculous. I felt that this was just one more example of the "god-forbid-anyone-should-be-allowed-to-cheer-against-us-in-our-own-rink" approach. Other incidences: no signs for us allowed. Oh, unless you come in a Minnesota jersey. No flags allowed. Oh, unless you bring a Minnesota flag. No Cowbell allowed...if you're playing us. No shots allowed to be counted on the board. Unless you take a shot in a Minnesota jersey (which could be wider than...). The "we were massively overshot" argument which has surfaced alot on these posts has to be tempered. I was sitting there and can recall many occasions where I would see a Cornell shot land in Briggs' glove and never register at all.

5) The reffing was poor for the second game, though a few icing calls that would have been unfavorable to CU were missed. I felt like the refs were looking to give penalties on us so easily. In one incidence, the ref slipped on the ice and landed on his ass. The second he's back on his feet he calls a penalty on O'Byrne down the ice. To clarify, I don't think the reffing is the reason we lost the game. But a few more minutes of 5x5 hockey in the late second and early third periods would have been favorable for Cornell.

6) I was pretty surprised to see so much O'Byrne bashing when I first checked this board upon returning. At the game, no one so much as mentioned his name around me when we lost. Then again, the action was at the far end of the ice and hard to see. But still, it was just a tough fast rush that we weren't as prepared for. Being as I'm the one who started one of the "Is O'Byrne a liability" threads a while back, I have to say that seeing the last few games in person, I think he played pretty disciplined, good hockey.

7) The first Minny goal seemed a little soft for McKee. Very unexpected. The second was a bad break for us. He played well for us and stopped so many quality shots this weekend. CU's defense and goaltending kept us in the Minnesota game, while our offense kept us in the OSU game. The Iggy goal was amazing to see in person by the way, and I would love to see a larger pic. of it.

8) Few moments were cooler in my hockey-going experience than scoring the first goal against Minny in their own house. Pegs really is a workhorse.

All in all, a great road trip, though it's disappointing to come back from 2,000+ miles of driving with a loss. Now to the off-season to tend to the post-Albany, post-Minnesota coughing up blood as a result of cheering issue. Much love to all my roadtrip companions, those at the game, and the makers of the chemical Chloraseptic.

-Mike '04
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 12:17AM by A-19.

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:23AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

2) I was disappointed in Minnesota's fans. First, they weren't even able to pack their own rink both days (cue Jacob's "I drove 19 hours from Ithaca and you can't even sell out your own rink?";). Second, none of them stayed for the OSU game. Third, they appear to have no student section- at least not @ the regionals. Accordingly, no one in the entire rink starts ANY minny cheers except their cheerleaders. Fourth, no creativity whatsoever. Only cheers: "Let's go gophers," "M-I-N-N.." with some unintelligible grunting and lasso-waving that accompanied the goals, and a major U-Mich penalty box ripoff. Fifth, classless. Two examples: When Cook took a slapshot to the throat and hit the ice, they booed for delay of game, and when we lost they personally verbally attacked Cornell fans when filing out of the rink (the "Cornell sucks" variety).

[/q]

"M-I-N-N-..." the rouser. I'm thankful I didn't fall asleep Saturday night to the rouser on repeat in my head.

that "whoop! whoop!" on the penalty...reminds me of an aerobics instructor I once had. Certainly didn't feel it belonged in a hockey game

"M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A! Mediocre! Mediocre! Go Golfing!" - thank you ben. Sadly, we're golfing, not them :`(

Posted by: bhan (---.mn.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:34AM

if that was you, classy move shaking the hands of gopher fans on their way out - further up the steps, a number of them were commenting on how impressed they were

Date: March 29, 2005 12:43AM

[Q]bhan Wrote:

if that was you, classy move shaking the hands of gopher fans on their way out - further up the steps, a number of them were commenting on how impressed they were[/q]

thank you.

the ones that did come up to us were very nice to speak with. it's the many that mocked us in the stands (well after the game) and cursed at us in the rink and pahking lot that soured my views of their fanbase as a whole

and i almost forgot:

9) for all those that think they had a particularly bad day sunday (myself included)...
we stopped for snacks/bathroom break at a gas station outside st paul right after the game. we looked pretty pissed off, so our cashier asked us how we were doing. he told us that his wife walked out on him with their kids and car that morning, and kicked him out of the house for good before he started his 12-hour work shift that day. i felt pretty happy to be a in a cornell jersey in the car with friends on the way home.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 12:50AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:
9) for all those that think they had a particularly bad day sunday (myself included)...
we stopped for snacks/bathroom break at a gas station outside st paul right after the game. we looked pretty pissed off, so our cashier asked us how we were doing. he told us that his wife walked out on him with their kids and car that morning, and kicked him out of the house for good before he started his 12-hour work shift that day. i felt pretty happy to be a in a cornell jersey in the car with friends on the way home.[/q]Ugh, that's rough. Nothing like a little perspective, right? :-/

Posted by: Big Red fan stuck in MN (---.158.231.239.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:04AM

Thanks to all those that drove out to MN and making these the most fun hockey games I have attended in a long time. So how long was that drive? Glad you all made it back safely.

To the loud guy with the big hair, great job leading the cheers!

Also, good job to the 3 female band-members getting paper pom-poms and being our cheerleaders. Next time, they should take the instruments and beat the Gopher cheerleaders silly so I don't have to see them at a hockey game.

To append A-19's thoughts:

1) I agree. Aren't these supposed to be neutral site games?

2) Most are not true hockey fans. Xcel Center (a great NHL rink in St. Paul) wasn't packed for the WCHA finals. Don't really think they needed a student section for the games as it was pretty much the rest of the arena. I found it idiotic that they placed the Maine section next to ours. I think the teams' sections are usually placed in opposite corners. Agree on the cheers. I have to listen to them whenever I go to WCHA final 5 games.

3) I did hear complaints about the old guy throwing candy though (being rude to nearby Minny fans) and the guy that yelled out before the end of "the moment of silence." Thanks to the old guy for the Snickers (especially on Saturday)!
Supposedly, I was on the tube for a few seconds on the ESPN telecast (supposedly in the 3rd period). If anyone saw an asian guy with a dark blue pullover with red Cornell letters, that would be me!

4) I was sitting near the area and was totally confused by the incident. What's the big deal with a cowbell? The band did a good job in the 3rd period substituting for the cowbell.

6) Was he the player trying to get the whistle before the goal occurred? I was confused as to his actions. He had 5 seconds with no pressure on him.

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

1) It is inexcusable that any school should be allowed to host a regional tournament on its own ice.

2) I was disappointed in Minnesota's fans. First, they weren't even able to pack their own rink both days (cue Jacob's "I drove 19 hours from Ithaca and you can't even sell out your own rink?";). Second, none of them stayed for the OSU game. Third, they appear to have no student section- at least not @ the regionals. Accordingly, no one in the entire rink starts ANY minny cheers except their cheerleaders. Fourth, no creativity whatsoever. Only cheers: "Let's go gophers," "M-I-N-N.." with some unintelligible

3) I was very proud of the Faithful on location. The creativity and constant noise we generated surprised most of the Minny fans around us. Many of you would be pleased to

4) The cowbell incident is ridiculous. I felt that this was just one more example of the

6) I was pretty surprised to see so much O'Byrne bashing when I first checked this board upon returning. At the game, no one so much as mentioned his name around me when we lost. Then again, the action was at the far end of the ice and hard to see. But still, it

Posted by: Big Red fan stuck in MN (---.158.231.239.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:16AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

the ones that did come up to us were very nice to speak with. it's the many that mocked us in the stands (well after the game) and cursed at us in the rink and pahking lot that soured my views of their fanbase as a whole
[/q]

Well, I have attended a bunch of Gopher games (via WCHA final 5) and the fans' behavior pretty much support what you have observed. In a Denver/MN game, there were these Minny fans cursing at a few Pioneers' fans trying to watch the game. I've swore to always cheer against the Gophers after all my observations. There are nice intelligent fans, but the numbers are rather small.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 01:45AM

[Q]Big Red fan stuck in MN Wrote:

Well, I have attended a bunch of Gopher games (via WCHA final 5) and the fans' behavior pretty much support what you have observed. In a Denver/MN game, there were these Minny fans cursing at a few Pioneers' fans trying to watch the game. I've swore to always cheer against the Gophers after all my observations. There are nice intelligent fans, but the numbers are rather small.
[/q]

Why do I get the feeling that a lot of those asshole Gopher fans end up posting on the USCHO forum, probably creating their accounts in March? nut

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 02:35AM

[Q]Big Red fan stuck in MN Wrote:

Thanks to all those that drove out to MN and making these the most fun hockey games I have attended in a long time. So how long was that drive? Glad you all made it back safely.
6) Was he the player trying to get the whistle before the goal occurred? I was confused as to his actions. He had 5 seconds with no pressure on him.

[/q]

6) Yes, that would be O'Byrne. But I can't really comment on what was going on, as from that distance I could barely pick out player's numbers and the puck, let alone figure out everyone's motives. I admit, I didn't care at all about hockey freshman year (my loss), and only really got into it last year, so my game/play remarks tend to be clouded with inexperience.

That drive...well, on the way there I made it in 16 and a half hours, non-stop. Most stopped in the Chicago area for the night. On the way back, we left around 6 pm cst and got into Ithaca around 1, 1:30 pm est, making it...18, 18 and a half hours?

This was easily the longest, craziest roadtrip I've been on, making it also the most fun. We may have lost, and that's a bitter, bitter pill to swallow on a 1100-mile drive home, but we managed to annoy Gopher fans a good four sections over (meaning we were heard!) as well as earn grudging respect from a few near us for coming and being unafraid to take on 9500 Minnesotans at home. We met more Faithful, made new friends, cheered our hearts (and voices) out, got to feel superior to Minnesota's fans with their unintelligible cheers (and empty seats, and spelling prowess), and saw a win. Although I wish it had been two wins, I'll look back on this experience as good.

As our final sign said (drawn in Ithaca),
"BEING LYNAH FAITHFUL: PRICELESS"

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 09:49AM

On top of Mike, Ryan, and Liz's comment...
After the first game at dinner we met a bunch of the players' parents. They were very nice and very surprised that we came all the way out from Ithaca. Most of them came over and thanked us, and at the beginning of the Minnesota game to take a picture of the group that made the road trip. I think that made my trip a little nicer than it already was.

As far as the fans go, I was really really pissed about the fans booing when Cook got up from being hit by the puck. Otherwise, I was surprised at the number of fans that came up to us after the game and said "good game, thanks for coming" etc. It is kind of sad that with a rink that can get so loud when the fans cheer that their fans don't do it more often. It was an amazing road trip, and thanks to everyone for going along and making it fun.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 04:25PM

I'd just like to echo Ryan, Liz, Jacob and Mike. It was a great road-trip to take, despite the never-ending drive back, stomach aches from Red Bull and other assorted energy drinks, the few Minnesota fans who were jerks, and the terrible terrible never-ending flatness of the midwest.

My two favorite highlights were:
The Fireworks-Cheese store we drove by as soon as we passed into Wisconsin & the St. Cloud St. fans that told me that the entire WCHA, save for Gophers fans, were rooting for us.

My feeling on the Minnesota fans is that they see gopher hockey as representing their entire state, and the "Minnesota" "SUCKS" cheer was taken much too personally by them. They were silent through most of the game against us, most of their cheering coming when there was an icing call. They desperately need a student section and need to be less shocked when opposing fans get loud. As whole, they were polite to us and very impressed by the faithful, with a few notable exceptions who were total classless jerks.

I'm very glad we showed that schools in the east can play serious hockey, and thankful for the amazing season we've had. Thanks again Class of 2005!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 04:26PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Date: March 29, 2005 05:10PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

3) I was very proud of the Faithful on location. The creativity and constant noise we generated surprised most of the Minny fans around us. Many of you would be pleased to know that we were a very classy bunch. No anti-Hirsch insults at all, though I had to fight hard against the urge to break into Aerosmith's "Crazy" etc etc etc. Cornell fans know how to win and to lose with class. We definitely left a favorable impression upon those at the game, with regard to the overall dedication and wit of the Cornell fan base. How were Cornell's fans portrayed on TV?

4) The cowbell incident is ridiculous. I felt that this was just one more example of the "god-forbid-anyone-should-be-allowed-to-cheer-against-us-in-our-own-rink" approach. Other incidences: no signs for us allowed. Oh, unless you come in a Minnesota jersey. No flags allowed. Oh, unless you bring a Minnesota flag. No Cowbell allowed...if you're playing us. No shots allowed to be counted on the board. Unless you take a shot in a Minnesota jersey (which could be wider than...). The "we were massively overshot" argument which has surfaced alot on these posts has to be tempered. I was sitting there and can recall many occasions where I would see a Cornell shot land in Briggs' glove and never register at all.

5) The reffing was poor for the second game, though a few icing calls that would have been unfavorable to CU were missed. I felt like the refs were looking to give penalties on us so easily. In one incidence, the ref slipped on the ice and landed on his ass. The second he's back on his feet he calls a penalty on O'Byrne down the ice. To clarify, I don't think the reffing is the reason we lost the game. But a few more minutes of 5x5 hockey in the late second and early third periods would have been favorable for Cornell.

6) I was pretty surprised to see so much O'Byrne bashing when I first checked this board upon returning. At the game, no one so much as mentioned his name around me when we lost. Then again, the action was at the far end of the ice and hard to see. But still, it was just a tough fast rush that we weren't as prepared for. Being as I'm the one who started one of the "Is O'Byrne a liability" threads a while back, I have to say that seeing the last few games in person, I think he played pretty disciplined, good hockey.

7) The first Minny goal seemed a little soft for McKee. Very unexpected. The second was a bad break for us. He played well for us and stopped so many quality shots this weekend. CU's defense and goaltending kept us in the Minnesota game, while our offense kept us in the OSU game. The Iggy goal was amazing to see in person by the way, and I would love to see a larger pic. of it.

8) Few moments were cooler in my hockey-going experience than scoring the first goal against Minny in their own house. Pegs really is a workhorse.

All in all, a great road trip, though it's disappointing to come back from 2,000+ miles of driving with a loss. Now to the off-season to tend to the post-Albany, post-Minnesota coughing up blood as a result of cheering issue. Much love to all my roadtrip companions, those at the game, and the makers of the chemical Chloraseptic.

-Mike '04
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/29/05 12:17AM by A-19.[/q]
1a) Agree 110%. This rule needs to be changed now. I say this not only as a fan of the Big Red but for any team that has ever had the “privilege” of playing an NC$$ playoff game @ Yost. Home locker rooms, home ice (literally), and 8,000-9,000 home fans make any opposition a very tough thing. It’s not like a game at Excel would have been have been less of a home game for the Gophers.
1b) The NC$$ needs to mandate that all tournament game be played on the same size piece of ice (200’x85’?). In no other sport can I readily think of, do the dementions of the playing surface change within the tournament. Different sized sheets makes absolutely no sense and should stop

2) Concur on their inability to sellout in their own barn. Down right pathetic! The lack of a student section can be attributed to “NC$$ neutral site” rules and their spring break. The pro-gopher bias concerning everything else completely nullified my last statement and was appalling. There was nothing neutral about this weekend, absolutely nothing. The Gopher fans lack knowledge of the game and class was surprising to say the least. For fans who “claim” to know the game they didn’t seem to understand 95% of the calls made during game. Among others already mentioned booing legal body checks and icing calls, saying “the ref owed us that one (referring to penalty calls).” Apparently games are called in this fashion out west.

3) Agree 100%

4) Insanity, plain and simple. The first night was ridiculous and the second was just as absurd. The UM Police were as unprofessional as I have ever seen a law enforcement offer behave in my entire life. As the one who delt with the grump old usher and “green shirt” a$$hole, they seemd to subscribe to "the you're showing us up in our own barn mentality" mike alluded to and were just as unprofessional as their campus police. Not sure this was mentioned but the second night the Canadian flag was threatened to be confiscated if it were held up. Classy, real classy way to act.

5) It was a 50/50 call on the referee. With a CCHA ref I figured we’d get screwed and with a HEA ref I thought we had a decent shot at getting a fair deal. As a side note, the Minnesota skaters took more dives in those two game than I’ve ever seen in a pair of hockey games. It was sad to see a team with that much talent having all the things going for it they did, need to resort to that type of gamesmanship.

6) Agree. In person, OB wasn’t as bad as I have seen him in the past. I too was in the “liability” camp earlier this season but think he’s played much better down the stretch and hope this improvement continues.

7) He made 99% of the saves we could ask him to make and played his heart out.

8):-D

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.law.ucla.edu)
Date: March 29, 2005 05:36PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

In no other sport can I readily think of, do the dementions of the playing surface change within the tournament. [/q]

How about Major League Baseball, where every stadium's dimensions are different, and teams consciously build their rosters with their home field in mind (and sometimes even build stadiums with star players in mind)?

I don't have a problem with making Cornell play on a big sheet; Minnesota will face the flip side when they play on a small sheet in the Frozen Four. I'm not even outraged that Minnesota gets to play on its home ice as the host school (although this is a little annoying). My problem is more with the seeding process overall (not how it was implemented this year, because it went more or less as expected), because somehow Cornell was in effect penalized for being the best of the #2s by being placed in such an adverse situation. Somehow the seeding process should be fixed to try to avoid situations like this. It's probably fair to say that Schafer would rather have faced a better #1 seed such as CC or DU at a neutral site than a "lesser" #1 in its own barn, and unfortunately by finishing so strong, the Red made things harder on itself by forcing the committee to seed it in Minny. That seems kind of wack.

Date: March 29, 2005 06:17PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

2) Concur on their inability to sellout in their own barn. Down right pathetic! The lack of a student section can be attributed to “NC$$ neutral site” rules and their spring break. The pro-gopher bias concerning everything else completely nullified my last statement and was appalling. There was nothing neutral about this weekend, absolutely nothing. The Gopher fans lack knowledge of the game and class was surprising to say the least. For fans who “claim” to know the game they didn’t seem to understand 95% of the calls made during game. Among others already mentioned booing legal body checks and icing calls, saying “the ref owed us that one (referring to penalty calls).” Apparently games are called in this fashion out west.
[/q]

[Minor quibble:] The lack of student section can be attributed to the NCAA and Easter, perhaps, but not to spring break. I stayed at the Alpha Phi house there and came away with the following impressions:
1. Their spring break was two weeks ago and I'm jealous of their tans. B-]
2. Everyone goes home for Easter, unless they live more than, oh, 4 hours away. Then again, a lot of them live in Twin City suburbs, so they could (and did) easily come back.
3. Gopher hockey is more of a community thing than a University-only or student-only thing. The girls I talked to were barely aware there was a NCAA regional going on a few blocks down the street - the one that could intelligently discuss college hockey said she grew up watching Gopher sports.

For what it's worth, I consider myself a huge fan of Cornell hockey. I've got a fairly good working knowledge of the rules, but when a penalty is called, I usually can't tell you what it was until I hear or see it, and in situations that are borderline-legal, I usually have to wait and see how the more knowledgable fans around me react. I never notice offsides. If 3000 fellow fans are booing, the average fan would probably join in (I would). I'm working on it, but my point is, you can be more than a casual fan and still not know a lot about the game. Those that DO know a lot about the game are far more easily drowned out in Mariucci than Lynah, and especially with the number of children there, there are probably a lot that are similar to me, in that they're still learning. Then again, they are in the "state of hockey" ;-)

I'm writing far more than intended...whoops. Just articulating my "I see too much of myself in what ben03's criticizing" thoughts. I still think they should've been able to sell out their rink, and I agree with everything else, Ben!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:40PM

I am so glad I made the trip to Minny. Not because I was in the state of hockey, but because I saw the never say die attitude of our team and our fans. The thing that struck me was the Faithful near me passing around throat losenges so they could continue to cheer long after their vocal cords were shot. That's dedication.

I think part of the problem with Minnesota hockey fans is that they are so invested in their team because they compete with the big boys in other sports and they suck. Do you think Gopher football or basketball will ever win the Big Ten let alone a national championship? Of course not. All they have is hockey. If they lose, they have nothing. And they're still stuck in flat, boring, cold Minnesota.

We can take pride in the fact that we are competing on a national level despite not paying our players and not having a 10,000 seat arena. Our arene is full of students, not corporate suits. We don't need to take cowbells from students, win by home ice advantage in what should be a neutral-ice tournament, and restrict the ability of our opponents fans to enjoy the game.

We are "old time hockey." And we will be competitive for a long time to come.

Let's Go Red!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 06:46PM

Speaking of neutral ice:

[www.uscho.com]

Those schedules used to say "Maine vs. Minnesota" and "Cornell vs. Minnesota." Good to see the staff at USCHO is detail oriented. :-)

Date: March 29, 2005 06:53PM

Liz I didn’t mean to slight you in the least … it’s just that the state of Minnesota claims the crown of college hockey and they were less than impressive in person (en mass). In fact, I think their fans were M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E, MEDIOCRE, MEDIOCRE, GOOOOOOO GOLFING! :-P

All-in-all it was an awesome road trip and I had a great time. I didn’t mean to come off sounding bitter. We had a wonderful time and a great season not to mention we’ve got a lot coming back. One-on-one most Gopher fans seemd like great people with which I had a few really nice conversations. One in particular with on older couple who were thrilled to hear/learn Cornell was a land grant institution (as is the UM) and had a laundry list of questions for me.

I want to thank all the Faithful who made the trek to Minneapolis. We did the University, the boys, their families and ourselves proud. Hats off to all! Judging from my experience leaving the rink I think most UM fans (sans a few idiots) would agree, they all seemed to appreciate the opportunity to see what eastern/ivy hockey (and their fans) looks like in person. Here’s looking forward to a v. successful ’05-’06 campaign, Let’s GO Red!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2005 07:01PM by ben03.

Date: March 29, 2005 09:51PM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

My feeling on the Minnesota fans is that they see gopher hockey as representing their entire state, and the "Minnesota" "SUCKS" cheer was taken much too personally by them. They were silent through most of the game against us, most of their cheering coming when there was an icing call. They desperately need a student section and need to be less shocked when opposing fans get loud. As whole, they were polite to us and very impressed by the faithful, with a few notable exceptions who were total classless jerks.[/q]

You're probably right about that first part: of course, over 40% of the players in the Frozen Four are from the state of MN. UM (81%), CC (48%), ND (28%), and DU (14%). That's pretty impressive.

Personally, I'd love to see a new version of the "University of [etc]...Sucks" cheer. Maybe one where "sucks" is replaced with something in Latin. It could be more creative and mysterious. It could be more of an inside joke that way, and it'd reserve the "sucks" for the one and only school that truly deserves it. But, that's just me.

There were some Minny fans that were surprisingly obnoxious, but calling someone's mascot a douche bag or yelling for the cheerleaders to drop someone being held up in the air is going to bring out the lesser side of some. By far most of the people I met were really nice and friendly. Still, I'm glad to be in Ithaca & I'm looking forward to October.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 10:13PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
Do you think Gopher football or basketball will ever win the Big Ten let alone a national championship? Of course not. All they have is hockey. If they lose, they have nothing. And they're still stuck in flat, boring, cold Minnesota.[/q]On the other hand, Minnesota did win the last two Big Televen championships in mens' swimming and diving. :-D

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote: In no other sport can I readily think of, do the dementions of the playing surface change within the tournament. Different sized sheets makes absolutely no sense and should stop [/q]Are you familiar with the World Series?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:40PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

ben03 Wrote: In no other sport can I readily think of, do the dementions of the playing surface change within the tournament. Different sized sheets makes absolutely no sense and should stop [/Q]
Are you familiar with the World Series?[/q]

He said sport, not commercial for GNC.

*runs away

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:41PM

To help set the scale on Minnesota hockey:
The best Minnesota athletes play hockey. A fellow down the hall from me freshman year was from Minnesota. He explained it this way. Typically a high school hockey team can beat that school's basketball team in a basketball game.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 29, 2005 11:45PM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:

The best Minnesota athletes play hockey. A fellow down the hall from me freshman year was from Minnesota. He explained it this way. Typically a high school hockey team can beat that school's basketball team in a basketball game.
[/q]
They are good athletes but the hockey team can't beat the basketball team at basketball. That's absurd. There are generally far taller kids on the basketball team. I'm from MN and I have to call b.s. on this.

Date: March 29, 2005 11:54PM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:

[/q]

Flying back I sat next to a young guy from northern Minny who was on his way to his Peace Corps orientation in Detroit. He said he had wrestled in high school and had been ostracized.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:12AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
Do you think Gopher football or basketball will ever win the Big Ten let alone a national championship? Of course not. All they have is hockey. If they lose, they have nothing. And they're still stuck in flat, boring, cold Minnesota.[/Q]
On the other hand, Minnesota did win the last two Big Televen championships in mens' swimming and diving. [/q]

The basketball team did make the Final Four not too long ago. IIRC, the fan support was impressive.

Date: March 30, 2005 12:22AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

ben03 Wrote: In no other sport can I readily think of, do the dementions of the playing surface change within the tournament. Different sized sheets makes absolutely no sense and should stop [/Q]
somehow i missed the nations national-waste-of-time ... and though boringball is played on different sized fields, IMHO, do not think size has nearly as much of an impact on the game as it does in hockey (and/or soccer) ... and i was refering to college sports. pro sports are lame.whistle

Date: March 30, 2005 12:33AM

[Q]RatushnyFan Wrote:

David Harding Wrote:

[/Q]
They are good athletes but the hockey team can't beat the basketball team at basketball. That's absurd. There are generally far taller kids on the basketball team. I'm from MN and I have to call b.s. on this.
[/q]
My friend was from a relatively small town where the pool of athletes was not very big. He played on the varsity basketball team and had enough contact with the rest of the school to be able to compare their ability to his.

Date: March 30, 2005 12:36AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

In the World Series each team gets to play approximately half the games on its own home field, neutralizing the difference. There are other differences, such as one team having played the whole season with a different number of players than the other.

Posted by: Meng '94 (---.159.23.145.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:56AM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

For what it's worth, I consider myself a huge fan of Cornell hockey. I've got a fairly good working knowledge of the rules, but when a penalty is called, I usually can't tell you what it was until I hear or see it, and in situations that are borderline-legal, I usually have to wait and see how the more knowledgable fans around me react. I never notice offsides. If 3000 fellow fans are booing, the average fan would probably join in (I would). I'm working on it, but my point is, you can be more than a casual fan and still not know a lot about the game. Those that DO know a lot about the game are far more easily drowned out in Mariucci than Lynah, and especially with the number of children there, there are probably a lot that are similar to me, in that they're still learning. Then again, they are in the "state of hockey"
[/q]

Unfortunately, most of the fans in Minny just boo whatever call go against their team even if it's the correct one. The few knowledgable fans that exist stay quiet or point out that it was a bad call (I was fortunate to sit next to one in the WCHA playoffs). Liz, just watch as many hockey games as I have (WAY TOO Many) and you'll be able to predict plays and know the penalties even before the refs call them.

You part of the crowd that was wearing the Cornell hockey uniforms (in rows ~10ish)?

Date: March 30, 2005 01:15AM

Meng,

I have a feeling I'll be watching Cornell hockey for the rest of my life. Considering that three years all I could've told you was the number of players and that the puck should go in the net, I have faith that I'll manage to get the rest of the way. :)

I wasn't wearing a jersey (Lynah Faithful t-shirt, here), but I was with a bunch of people that were. I was in the front part of the Cornell section, but I have no idea which row, as I had a SRO ticket. I was next to DevilDerby (Hornby jersey) most of the time, if that helps.

Date: March 30, 2005 01:51AM

liz and the rest of us (most in jerseys) were around row 13 of the cu section

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:58AM

I'm not sure we said a word in the car on the way home through Wisconsin....

I would still make that trip with all of you again - to experience some great hockey, to make fun of a region most of us have never been able to before from the inside out ("Gopherk yourself" and the "land of 10,000 fakes";), to drive through 7 states twice, and to "get there when we'll get there."

We all lost our voices and minds, but it was worth it.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:09AM

[Q]Meng '94 Wrote:

Unfortunately, most of the fans in Minny just boo whatever call go against their team even if it's the correct one. The few knowledgable fans that exist stay quiet or point out that it was a bad call (I was fortunate to sit next to one in the WCHA playoffs).[/q]

To be fair, we do that at Lynah too. Contrary to popular belief at Lynah, not every single penalty the Red take is undeserved.

Date: March 30, 2005 08:12AM

Not to mention the infield, where 75% of the plays are made is identical on every field. Imagine if the pitcher's mound was 5-10 feet closer to home plate for a team with great pitching. Even baseball doesn't allow that kind of game fixing.

Posted by: KenP (192.133.17.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:16AM

Not to mention the infield, where 75% of the plays are made is identical on every field. Imagine if the pitcher's mound was 5-10 feet closer to home plate for a team with great pitching. Even baseball doesn't allow that kind of game fixing.[/q]

No, they just allow the dirt around the mound and home plate to be tampered with to work with the home pitcher's style.

I think this aspect of the conversation is getting out of hand. Baseball postseason games, like most professional sports, are meant to be played on home fields/court/ice. The NCAA Tournament is meant to be played at a neutral site.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:25AM

Not to mention the infield, where 75% of the plays are made is identical on every field. Imagine if the pitcher's mound was 5-10 feet closer to home plate for a team with great pitching. Even baseball doesn't allow that kind of game fixing.[/q]

How about if some fields have dirt between the bases and others had carpet? And the teams playing on the carpet just happened to be particularly good at bouncing balls off it into the outfield?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 30, 2005 09:40AM

We don't need to take cowbells from students, win by home ice advantage in what should be a neutral-ice tournament, and restrict the ability of our opponents fans to enjoy the game.[/q]

Given the occasional hostility of Lynah ushers, and our tendency to put the visiting band on the glass in O, we're not in a very strong position to throw stones here.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:46AM

Hey, at least the Lynah ushers are equally hostile to Cornell students rolleyes

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 30, 2005 09:56AM

On the other hand, there were a number of posts by MN fans on USCHO after the game complimenting the Red, the fans, and the band and saying that there should be more games between eastern and western teams. Although the outcome was not what we wanted to see, I think the Red's trip west increased respect for Cornell hockey. Minnesota fans now know the guys can play, even if they hadn't played anyone worthwhile the rest of the season. :-D

Date: March 30, 2005 10:57AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
We don't need to take cowbells from students, win by home ice advantage in what should be a neutral-ice tournament, and restrict the ability of our opponents fans to enjoy the game.[/Q]
Given the occasional hostility of Lynah ushers, and our tendency to put the visiting band on the glass in O, we're not in a very strong position to throw stones here.[/q]
this is true ... but we don't claim the neutrality of and NC$$ tournament game as U of Mn did ;-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:02AM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:
Flying back I sat next to a young guy from northern Minny who was on his way to his Peace Corps orientation in Detroit. He said he had wrestled in high school and had been ostracized.[/q]That's not the same. Everyone makes fun of wrestlers. :-P

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:03PM

Or what if some rinks had their home bench right next to the penalty box and the visitor's bench all the way across the ice... Oh wait...

Date: March 30, 2005 12:08PM

that has yet to happen :-P

Date: March 30, 2005 12:16PM

It, as yet, has happened in plenty of rinks, most recently in Agganis.

Date: March 30, 2005 12:17PM

you know i was talking about --our-- rink ...:-)

Date: March 30, 2005 12:58PM

Well, a) that hasn't happened yet. b) I'll believe it when I see it. c) Just cause Schafer wants it doesn't mean I have to like another example of lack of homogeneousness in hockey.

Posted by: bhan (139.72.158.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 12:59PM

some small acknowledgement at least:

"You need three things to make it this far," Lucia said. "You need to be good, lucky and healthy. We haven't been the healthiest team of late, but we have had a little luck. We had the regional at home and we took advantage of it."

[www.startribune.com]

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:29PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Contrary to popular belief at Lynah, not every single penalty the Red take is undeserved.[/q]

Boo...It's all their fault. :-D

Date: March 30, 2005 01:32PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:
Flying back I sat next to a young guy from northern Minny who was on his way to his Peace Corps orientation in Detroit. He said he had wrestled in high school and had been ostracized.[/Q]
That's not the same. Everyone makes fun of wrestlers. [/q]

Due to the outstanding nature of the Cornell wrestling program, and the fact that the smallest among them could turn me into a pretzel, I respectfully decline to admit that I agree with you;-)

Date: March 30, 2005 01:34PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Well, a) that hasn't happened yet. b) I'll believe it when I see it. c) Just cause Schafer wants it doesn't mean I have to like another example of lack of homogeneousness in hockey.[/q]

Homogeneity, not homogeneousness.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:36PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
How about if some fields have dirt between the bases and others had carpet? And the teams playing on the carpet just happened to be particularly good at bouncing balls off it into the outfield?[/q]The point is that in baseball, post-season series are not one and done. One team has home field for a few games and the other has home field advantages for the others. It evens out. If the NCAA tournament were played in a best of seven it wouldn't be unfair to give Minny home ice for four games when the other three were at Lynah. (Well, we'd still grouse about the three vs. four because we'd think we deserved a top seed, but whatever :-) )

Date: March 30, 2005 01:37PM

Homogeneity, not homogeneousness.
[/q]

Yeah, but what's more fun fun to say say? :-D

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
How about if some fields have dirt between the bases and others had carpet? And the teams playing on the carpet just happened to be particularly good at bouncing balls off it into the outfield?[/Q]
The point is that in baseball, post-season series are not one and done. One team has home field for a few games and the other has home field advantages for the others. It evens out. If the NCAA tournament were played in a best of seven it wouldn't be unfair to give Minny home ice for four games when the other three were at Lynah. (Well, we'd still grouse about the three vs. four because we'd think we deserved a top seed, but whatever )[/q]
And the team, the fans, and the band would die of stress and exhaustion moving back and forth between game sites.

Date: March 30, 2005 01:46PM

[q]And the team, the fans, and the band would die of stress and exhaustion moving back and forth between game sites.[/q]Come on, wouldn't it be great? Four best of seven series to win it all? Add in some travel and rest days and it would only take about two months. Do this for the conference tourneys and it would reall ybe fun! Who needs to go to school (or work) from April to June? nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 30, 2005 01:50PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:
How about if some fields have dirt between the bases and others had carpet? And the teams playing on the carpet just happened to be particularly good at bouncing balls off it into the outfield?[/Q]
The point is that in baseball, post-season series are not one and done. One team has home field for a few games and the other has home field advantages for the others. It evens out. If the NCAA tournament were played in a best of seven it wouldn't be unfair to give Minny home ice for four games when the other three were at Lynah. (Well, we'd still grouse about the three vs. four because we'd think we deserved a top seed, but whatever )[/q]

How does this work in the NCAA regionals in baseball? Do the hosts schools play in their own regional? (You want to talk about unfair? Before baseball expanded to 64 teams they used to have eight 6-team regionals which were double-elimination tournaments. The loser of the 3-4 game had to play the winner of the 1-6 game in the second round, which typically meant a quick exit for the #4 team. I know this because UCSB was the #4 team the one season I really paid attention to Gaucho baseball.)

Date: March 30, 2005 02:07PM

[dictionary.reference.com]

Posted by: KenP (192.133.17.---)
Date: March 30, 2005 02:33PM

age, i expect more from the person who adminstrates this site

Date: March 30, 2005 02:45PM

[q]How does this work in the NCAA regionals in baseball?[/q]No idea. I was thionking MLB - I've never followed NCAA baseball beyond occasionally wandering over to watch a game at Cornell. The championships at least are played at a neutral site, but I suspect there may be a home field advantage in the regionals. I don't know if baseball is big enough to have the "host school can't play in their own regional" rule that squeakball has.

Date: March 30, 2005 03:02PM

Are you still going on about homogeneousness? Was my reply not sufficient? And if you were just trying to be funny with "administrates," it is, in fact, just as valid as "administers." If you don't think so, read a dictionary. How is it that I use a valid word in perfectly valid context and everyone crawls out of the woodwork to unjustly criticize it, but no one has a problem with Ari's last column?

Date: March 30, 2005 05:50PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
We don't need to take cowbells from students, win by home ice advantage in what should be a neutral-ice tournament, and restrict the ability of our opponents fans to enjoy the game.[/Q]
Given the occasional hostility of Lynah ushers, and our tendency to put the visiting band on the glass in O, we're not in a very strong position to throw stones here.[/q]

John,

The hostility of Lynah ushers is toward the Faithful, not the visitors. At least by my experience.

We let the visiting band play unrestricted. We don't takes section O's signs away. They have the right to be as rude as we are (moreso if they're from Clarkson).

I think we have a very defensable position.

Date: March 30, 2005 05:59PM

Everyone didn't criticize it. I corrected what I thought was an error, but just a silly insignificant thing. I should have used a smiley.

I'll give you credit. I had no idea that your usage was correct.

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:12PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
but no one has a problem with Ari's last column?[/q]

My problem with Ari's last column was that it was so overwhelmingly putrid in its attempt to use something resembling the English language that I couldn't even imagine where to begin. It was like packing up my apartment to move, yet again - there was so much crap I was paralyzed by the mere thought of deciding where to stick the shovel first.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2005 08:23PM

Can we play nice, please? Just because we don't have a common enemy to root against anymore now that the season's over....

Back on topic of the road trip, I think the 20 hour ride on the band bus went much faster than I expected it to, both ways. I even found a way to get comfortable if I slept with my head hanging out in the aisle. Thanks again to everybody who helped make that possible for us.

Date: March 30, 2005 09:54PM

Thank you...:-}

[www.m-w.com]

Date: March 30, 2005 10:18PM

So did they really not let anyone hang any banners? That's just silly. One of the things that made Placid such a fun environment was the array of signs and banners (and Age's Canadian flag) festooning the upper deck.

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 10:52PM

there really wasn't any good place to hang banners. placid had the upper deck that was high enough above the lower section that you could hang stuff from.

the first day, they just held the canadian flag.

Posted by: Meng '94 (---.159.23.108.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 11:34PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

On the other hand, there were a number of posts by MN fans on USCHO after the game complimenting the Red, the fans, and the band and saying that there should be more games between eastern and western teams. Although the outcome was not what we wanted to see, I think the Red's trip west increased respect for Cornell hockey. Minnesota fans now know the guys can play, even if they hadn't played anyone worthwhile the rest of the season. [/q]

That's fine by me cus I want to see Cornell play more often in person with other fans (!!!) and I get sick of seeing these WCHA teams that are afraid of getting hit (except maybe for UND)!

Date: March 30, 2005 11:37PM

No signs, no banners, no flags. No cowbells.

Date: March 31, 2005 12:04AM

no red jerseys, no cornell sheatshirts, no cheering for the cornell ... wait ... they just look at you like a freak if you do those things :-P

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 12:12AM

Everything had to be thrown out or brought back to the car...sad moment.

Date: March 31, 2005 12:25AM

no banners in albany either, per the ECAC i'm told

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 02:55AM

So much of my feelings of this trip has already been said by others in this thread. Thank you to everyone in Section 2...I felt at home there. For those of you who had to decide between this trip and something else, just remember that the memories of trips like this will outlast just about anything responsible you could've been doing. :-D I'm so proud to be a member of this fanbase.

Others here have already talked about most of the stories. I'll add some more in list form, since it's the style of the time:

1) One of the more interesting phenomena with the Minnesotans is their somewhat aloof dislike of the fact that we have Canadians playing for us. Age related one such comment somewhere. I got another passive-aggressive one from a guy flipping through his program. "Got a lot of Canadians on yer team..." Coming from a border state, that's sort of surprising, but I guess they do indeed take the "pride on ice" thing a little seriously. That sort of sums up my impression of the region...very provincial. Those imaginary borders are heavy there. My response to the subtle criticism is "so sorry that our University has such an international scope that we allow a diverse range of people who are interested in getting a good education to attend and to participate in athletics."

2) One of the most hurtful things on display at Mariucci: The 2003 NCAA bracket that hung on a Buffalo building. :-(

3) Every fanbase has good and bad fans. We met both. Some of the good ones happen to be sitting in our section...in fact they pulled an old Lynah Faithful trick of calling up our ticket office when the Gophers had sold out. After their semi ended, they chatted a bit with us and shared some of their hardy upper-midwest beverages. They even asked us out to their tailgate after our game was done, where they gave us bar and restaurant advice. We wound up going out to a several bars in Minneapolis with them...until 2 am. During Sunday's game, it was all business, but once the game was over, we exchanged handshakes and they once again shared their beer out in the parking lot. I hope to run into them in Columbus.

4) While out painting the town RED Saturday night, it occurred to me that there was a lack of organization among the CU fans there in terms of post-game activities. We should've all picked a bar and taken it over (ala Jillians). There were a few at Stub and Herb's for dinner, which was a start. Granted, some may have needed sleep after 20 hour drives...but when we're all concentrated in a far away place like that, it would've been more fun to have a sea of Red in one place for more merriment.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 10:38AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
1) One of the more interesting phenomena with the Minnesotans is their somewhat aloof dislike of the fact that we have Canadians playing for us. Age related one such comment somewhere. I got another passive-aggressive one from a guy flipping through his program. "Got a lot of Canadians on yer team..." Coming from a border state, that's sort of surprising, but I guess they do indeed take the "pride on ice" thing a little seriously. That sort of sums up my impression of the region...very provincial. Those imaginary borders are heavy there. My response to the subtle criticism is "so sorry that our University has such an international scope that we allow a diverse range of people who are interested in getting a good education to attend and to participate in athletics."[/q]

Were there awkward stares during Oh Canada? I sure hope so.

Date: March 31, 2005 12:58PM

Big time stares. I'm surprised they didn't boo. The swaying side to side during the Alma Mater got a lot of stares, too.

And Section A Banshee, I'm glad the band got to participate. Just hearing the opening bars of "Davy" when the Red skated out on the ice for the first time on Saturday sent chills down my spine. Though you need to work on the tempo for "The Victors" :-P

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: March 31, 2005 04:11PM

Great job by the band! You came through loud and clear on the TV broadcast to give the game a bit of Lynah atmosphere on the road. Plaing "The Victors" at the Ohio State game and "On Wisconsin" at the Minnesota game was priceless.

Posted by: Meng '94 (---.158.231.31.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 31, 2005 11:56PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

1) One of the more interesting phenomena with the Minnesotans is their somewhat aloof dislike of the fact that we have Canadians playing for us. Age related one such comment somewhere. I got another passive-aggressive one from a guy flipping through his program. "Got a lot of Canadians on yer team..." Coming from a border state, that's sort of surprising, but I guess they do indeed take the "pride on ice" thing a little seriously. That sort of sums up my impression of the region...very provincial. Those imaginary borders are heavy there. My response to the subtle criticism is "so sorry that our University has such an international scope that we allow a diverse range of people who are interested in getting a good education to attend and to participate in athletics."
[/q]

Until Lucia, they only had Minnesotans on the team...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login