Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Testing Altitude Alternate

Posted by Josh 03 
Testing Altitude Alternate
Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: March 24, 2005 05:43PM

Thought this was very important and the other TV thread already runneth over.

The Metro State vs. Virginia Union game already happened. It was yesterday and Metro State lost. Altitude Alternate was covering the DII bball because Metro State is a Denver team. Did anyone (Delta, Hillel) see that the game was supposed to be broadcast tonight as a repeat? Because this game is old news.

If there's no BBall game, there's no test to see whether our bars get Altitude Alternate.

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

[One absurdly complicated test: Call the sports bar at about 10:00 p.m. ET on Thursday night and ask them to put on DTV 657. Yes, 657. If they see a D-II basketball tournament game -- Metro State vs. Virginia Union -- you're probably good to go for 658 on Saturday... Don't ask.]

.[/q]

Re: Testing Altitude Alternate
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 05:48PM

Hmmm, I didn't check anything last night. Maybe it is a repeat or else Hillel screwed up ;)

Here's the one bit of info I can give. Channels 657 on DirecTV currently has the DirecTV logo with background music. This tend to be a signal that something will be on it later. Previously, these channels were just black, as 658 still is.

Some something seems to be going on on 657, I'll check later again.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: March 24, 2005 05:51PM

I just spoke with Charlotte from Altitude.

Metro State isn't playing. They lost. But ALTITUDE ALTERNATE IS STILL COVERING D-II Basketball today!!!!

There are 2 games starting 7 EST. So there should be 5 hours of Altitude Alternate coverage (from about 7PM - 12 PM Eastern tonight).

Relief!

Post Scriptum--my conversation with the guy who I spoke to first who transferred me to Charlotte...

Josh: Hi I'm one of the guys who is interested in Cornell Hockey this weekend.
The Guy: Boo. Cornell sucks. You guys suck.
Josh:
The Guy: I'm a Yaleie. Can't you guys take a joke. We're just tired of you guys beating us in everything. Actually I don't know anything about this. Let me transfer you.l
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2005 05:54PM by Josh 03.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 24, 2005 06:09PM

Josh is right. Delta State was eliminated (I've started to identify with Denver sports...I actually felt sad). But the good news is that Altitude alternate is STILL showing D-II hoops games tonight as Josh explained, so a test is possible ... and the test window is open for longer than expected.

And by the way, don't listen to any bullshit you might get from people who say that the Cornell game is blacked out. It's not. I actually got that line from a sports bar manager in Philly.

Let me tell you, Charlotte rocks. [hint] I'm going to send a nice note to her supervisor at pmallios@altitude.tv [/hint]

Date: March 24, 2005 07:02PM

7:01 PM ET - Channel 657 on DirecTV is showing Altitude sports and the description is "D-II Tournament Basketball" (or something like that) although right now they're talking about the Nuggets

Edit: 7:05 PM ET - the game has begun, it's 3-0 Bryant on top of Tarleton, 1:16 in

I'll check back every half an hour or so from now on so I can tell you when it stops being broadcast, to make sure that anyone who checked at a bar was indeed looking at the right hour.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2005 07:07PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: March 24, 2005 09:00PM

9 PM ET - the channel goes to a discussion show called One-on-One

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:31PM

My sports bar just called me. He said that DII basketball is on, but he said it's listed as Regional Sports Network. Do we figure that's just a description that it is a regional sports network, not the an actual network called Regional Sports Network?

Date: March 24, 2005 09:34PM

Josh, where are you/the bar located?

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:38PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Josh, where are you/the bar located?[/q]

what he means is that anyone in the area is hitting your bar. congrats! you've hit pay dirt!

Date: March 24, 2005 09:40PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Josh, where are you/the bar located?[/Q]
what he means is that anyone in the area is hitting your bar. congrats! you've hit pay dirt![/q]
Actually that's not what I mean :). but its a good idea as well.

The problem is the bar around here told us that they got 644, but not 657.

I called DirecTV's business line to ask about the packages, and they said that sports channels can only go out to commercial accounts in your local area :). That sounds like b.s. to me, but I wanted to make absolutely sure Josh wasn't in Colorado :).

Posted by: redGrinch (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:58PM

Josh is in DC - Grand Slam Sports Cafe in the Grand Hyatt.
Hooray!!!!:-) Hockey to watch this weekend!!!! LGR!!!!!

Date: March 24, 2005 10:05PM

Well, that's good news in general.

I haven't been able to really get in touch with anyone. I just tried calling Sports Depot in Boston again and they gave me the "call the day of" line. He also said he was really busy and couldn't talk due to March madness. I may call them back again later tonight, when it has hopefully quieted down a bit.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:10PM

anyone go to the Depot? Or do i need to get off my but and check it personally? ;)

Date: March 24, 2005 10:15PM

abmarks,

dargason (Daniel) did go, but he didn't personally witness they test the channel. He just told them to try 644 and 657 (wrote down the numbers for them), and he was told by John (the guy he's been dealing with), that they did get 644, but not 657.

That was a major buzz killer until Josh came on here and said their bar in DC did get both.

I tried to call to check again, on the hope that they just misheard/misread 657, but they kinda brushed me off. If its not too far and you could go down there and make a nusiance of yourself until they showed it to you, that would be great! Let me know if you plan on that, otherwise I plan on calling back myself.

FYI, Dan said Sports Depot was really busy, so it'd probably be impossible for us to get a room/audio on Saturday. Therefore, I'm gonna see if Sports Grille can promise us that. However, it'd get rid of a lot of indigestion if it can be confirmed that 657 does indeed come with 644, and some mistake was just made when Dan was there.

-Fred

Date: March 24, 2005 10:26PM

If we can get a *roll-call* for saturday- we could likely get a table in teh back and get audio as well....the tables are seperate enough from the main room that audio could be heard from that one TV or two.....

Date: March 24, 2005 10:36PM

Still, both Dan and my's interaction with Sports Depot has been less than positive. I was brushed off. I believe he said John was kind've nasty to him once. They may've not cared enough to really give him correct information about the channels (I hope, I hope, I hope), plus the place had a line out the door, which doesn't seem to imply we'll be treated with much care.

Sports Grille, on the other hand, has been very nice, helpful, and interested in working things out for us. They have been very willing to order the station and seems much more interested in getting us our own area and audio. Just by the interaction with them, I would say they are much more worthy of our business at this point. I have a bad taste in my mouth from Depot and I believe Dan may too. Even when I called tonight, right about when a Celtics game was letting out from the Fleet, he took the time to suggest the hours I should call back with and was polite in apologizing for not being able to help me now.

I'd just like to confirm that Sports Depot does indeed get 657 right now, cause it would go a long way in comforting me that Sports Grille will too. I'm happy to take input, but we can't make this too much of a vote-by-committee thing, cause it'd just get too hectic. I'm already pretty hectic as is. I plan on calling them back unless you tell me you're stopping by :)

Edit: Dan has a list a people who wanted to come. Last I knew the number was around 30. Plus I'll be adding a few more myself. Is that what you meant by roll call?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2005 10:37PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:42PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Sports Grille, on the other hand, has been very nice, helpful, and interested in working things out for us. They have been very willing to order the station and seems much more interested in getting us our own area and audio. Just by the interaction with them, I would say they are much more worthy of our business at this point. I have a bad taste in my mouth from Depot and I believe Dan may too. Even when I called tonight, right about when a Celtics game was letting out from the Fleet, he took the time to suggest the hours I should call back with and was polite in apologizing for not being able to help me now.
[/q]
FWIW, based on this I'd rather go to the Sports Grille. It's much better to deal with people who want your business, rather than those who can do without. If there's a problem, we'll be more likely to get assistance from the guys at the Grille.

Furthermore, if it doesn't work out, my house and a 61" TV is only a 25-30 minute drive from there. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:47PM

[Q]Josh 03 Wrote:

My sports bar just called me. He said that DII basketball is on, but he said it's listed as Regional Sports Network. Do we figure that's just a description that it is a regional sports network, not the an actual network called Regional Sports Network?[/q]
When Directv picks up an additional broadcast like that, it's usually listed on the screen as RSNa (Regional Sports Network alternate) rather than the specific station name.

Date: March 24, 2005 11:23PM

So has anyone had success other than Josh?

How did the Phily, NYC, etc tests go?

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 12:17AM

The Philly test was a go, so we're ramped up and ready at Flanigan's Boathouse in Conshohocken, PA: [www.flanboathouse.com]

I think we can conclude that buying Altitude means getting Altitude alternate.

Date: March 25, 2005 12:18AM

I'm glad to hear that because I've twice gotten a different story from Sports Depot in Boston. But I don't think them very much anyway, so I plan on working with Sports Grille to make everything a go.

< crosses fingers > If it works everywhere else, I have high hopes

Date: March 25, 2005 12:24AM

OK- I wasnt promoting Sports Depot- Sports Grille is cool. But where the heck is sports grille? I don't know it

Date: March 25, 2005 12:28AM

I didn't think you were, I understand. As far as I know we just hit Sports Depot on a bad week. It was our first choice for location and parking, but oh well.

Sports Grille is on Canal St, by the Fleet Center. My gf found an article about the bars by the Fleet Center suffering w/o the NHL, so that could explain why Sports Grille is much more accomidating. The business means more to them. But hey, that's good for us and it'll be nice to help out the Fleet Center area businesses.

[www.planet99.com]

The place sounds good, over 100 tvs, big, and not that busy lately.

Date: March 25, 2005 12:40AM

OK- I'll be there....

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:05AM

We seem to have no indication of how any NYC test, if one was done, came off. :-(

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RedAR (66.101.241.---)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:10AM

I called Ship of Fools last night, and the bar tender said it was too busy for him to check if the bball game was on. So, we're no closer to knowing whether those of us in NYC will be able to watch or not.

Does anyone with DirecTV in the NYC area want to host?

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 08:19AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote: We seem to have no indication of how any NYC test, if one was done, came off. [/q]
Beeej, based on last night's tests in other cities, we seem to have determined that DTV bars anywhere (with relatively new equipment) that order Altitude will get Altitude alternate programming. I don't think you need to test; now you just need to find a place with DTV that would be willing to order Altitude. See Lisa92's post with the link to CU Athletics, where they offer a direct phone number to DTV's commercial reps (that's the number for bar managers to call).

Date: March 25, 2005 09:12AM

Hillel, could you explain this "relatively new equipment" thing?

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 25, 2005 09:36AM

As I recall, the upated CU Athletics release includes a caveat that mentions something about bars with older satellite receivers being unable to get Altitude.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 09:43AM

Beeeej Wrote: We seem to have no indication of how any NYC test, if one was done, came off. [/Q]
Beeej, based on last night's tests in other cities, we seem to have determined that DTV bars anywhere (with relatively new equipment) that order Altitude will get Altitude alternate programming. I don't think you need to test; now you just need to find a place with DTV that would be willing to order Altitude. See Lisa92's post with the link to CU Athletics, where they offer a direct phone number to DTV's commercial reps (that's the number for bar managers to call).[/q]

I honestly don't have time to be making these phone calls, though. Where did Jeremy disappear to?! :-(

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: March 25, 2005 10:11AM

If Jeremy doesn't want to organize it (again), that's his choice, just like it's the choice of others who would like to watch the game but are unwilling to make the calls necessary to arrange it. Given that Jeremy has laid the groundwork, I can't imagine that it would take much time for someone else to finalize the arrangements (given the additional information we have this morning from CU).

In any case, if someone steps up, you should also discuss showing the West regional final live.

Re: Testing Altitude Alternate-Charlotte
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 25, 2005 10:38AM

Thanks for the email address Hillel.
I already
posted a nice thank you letter on the feedback link of altitude's website, but i will also send a letter to her supervisor as well.

We should at least send her a big red hat so she doesn't forget us... (as much as she might like to at this point :-D

Posted by: Denison 71 (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 11:38AM

Beeeej Wrote: We seem to have no indication of how any NYC test, if one was done, came off. [/Q]
Beeej, based on last night's tests in other cities, we seem to have determined that DTV bars anywhere (with relatively new equipment) that order Altitude will get Altitude alternate programming. I don't think you need to test; now you just need to find a place with DTV that would be willing to order Altitude. See Lisa92's post with the link to CU Athletics, where they offer a direct phone number to DTV's commercial reps (that's the number for bar managers to call).

[/q]

Hillel, How do we determine whether the age of Flanigan's Boathouse will be able receive the OSU-CU hockey game?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 11:52AM

First see if they receive channel 644 on DirecTV. If they don't (which they probably won't), they'll have to call up and order the package.

If they do so, you then have to confirm that they get the alterate feed as well. That will be channel 658 today and should be showing the Worcester regional games this afternoon and evening. If they do, then you're in very good shape. Check back and make sure that they get the Harvard/UNH game on 658 at 3 p.m. tomorrow and that should be extra, extra assurance.

If they get 644, but not 658, then they'll need to talk to DirecTV to figure out why.

-Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login