Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NO GAME AT SHIP OF FOOLS

Posted by JEREMY 
NO GAME AT SHIP OF FOOLS
Posted by: JEREMY (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:31PM

AS OF WED AT 4:30 SHIP OF FOOLS CAN NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE GAME WILL BE BROADCAST AT THE BAR - AS MANY HAVE DISCUSSED ON THIS WEBSITE THE GAME IS SHOWN ONLY ON ALTITUDE ALTERNATE WHICH IS INCORRECTLY LISTED AS DIRECT TV CHANNEL 658. I APOLOGISE FOR MISLEADING THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE SET ON GOING TO SHIP OF FOOLS ON SATURDAY. TRUST ME I AM AS DISAPPOINTED AS ALL OF YOU. IF THINGS CHANGE AND THE GAME IS ABLE TO BE SEEN I WILL DO MY BEST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. GO RED!

-JEREMY

Re: NO GAME AT SHIP OF FOOLS
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:51PM

Jeremy (and others who may be struggling with this annoying problem):

As I understand it, Altitude's "Alternate" programming moves all over the place on the DirecTV menu -- sometimes it ends up on channel 657, sometimes on 658, sometimes elsewhere, depending on need and availability. Altitude's "Alternate" programming also does not appear all the time on DTV. Channels 657 and 658 will be blank screens unless special programming, such as the Cornell-OSU game, has been arranged by Altitude and DTV. The updated Cornell release is correct: It will be on DTV 658, but ONLY on that date and time. At almost all other times, 658 will be blank, even when an establishment actually has the ability to show the Cornell game! I've been told that there is only one reliable way to tell if an establishment will have the capability to show Altitude "Alternate" on Saturday afternoon (so sorry to repeat this, but I know a lot of people are asking): Call them or stop by at about 10 p.m. on Thursday (tomorrow) night -- that's when Altitude has arranged for another special "alternate" event on DTV. Ask the proprietors to turn to DTV channel 657. If they see a Div. II basketball tournament game between Metro St. and Viriginia Union, then you know that the bar in question has the appropriate Altitude a-la-carte add-on. Only then will you know that they'll likely be able to show the Cornell-OSU game on channel 658 on Saturday.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 04:55PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: Beeeej (68.160.255.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 05:57PM

Jeremy, thank you for your efforts thus far. Will you be continuing to try to find out if there is someplace, ANYPLACE, in the city where we can watch the game? Or were you hanging your hopes on Ship of Fools?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 06:07PM

Someone should call the Riviera.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 06:39PM

Here's a bizarre suggestion that would only work in NYC, Washington, LA, or somewhere else where there are lots of regional expat subpopulations. Try finding a Broncos bar -- a place where Denver Broncos fans have gathered on Sundays for years. That same place might be likely to have Altitude. That's the only CO fan base that's sizable/passionate enough to create an out-of-town watering hole HQ.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:04PM

Except that Broncos fans primarily want to watch Broncos games, which are on NFL Sunday ticket. No need to have Altitude for that.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:23PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote: Except that Broncos fans primarily want to watch Broncos games, which are on NFL Sunday ticket. No need to have Altitude for that.[/q]
In my experience, there can be multisport spillover. Some places develop such a reputation for catering to certain NFL teams that expats start showing up for other sports. That happened in my old neighborhood in Capitol Hill in DC. There is a fairly well known Steelers bar there, the Pour House on Pennsylvania Ave SE. After a while, it developed a reputation as a universal Pittsburgh hang out. They eventually started catering to Pittsburgh hockey fans and went out of their way to put on Penguins games whenever possible. It's a total long shot, of course.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:53PM

I think what's less of a long shot, is that according to the PDF posted, the Altitude package is $30 to $50 per month. If we have a group of 20 to 100 people, showing up at a bar right at dinner hour (6 p.m. tomorrow), maybe some people can have luck convincing them to pick up the package for a month. 2 drink minimum anyone? ;)

Date: March 23, 2005 07:56PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
I think what's less of a long shot, is that according to the PDF posted, the Altitude package is $30 to $50 per month. If we have a group of 20 to 100 people, showing up at a bar right at dinner hour (6 p.m. tomorrow), maybe some people can have luck convincing them to pick up the package for a month. 2 drink minimum anyone? [/q]

Can that come out of the $40 minimum at Ship of Fools? rolleyes

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:06PM

Well, I'd be more than happy with the Riviera. But that was sort of my question. Is Jeremy the "Someone"? Is he going to find us a place to watch the game in NYC? Or are we all going to try to make some calls and risk a lot of duplication of effort?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (204.95.232.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:11PM

hi delta one..
you beat me to it :-P I called my local sports bar, buffalo wild wings and for them it would be $50 to pick it up for a month. I offered to pay 1/2 of the cost. The manager needs to get back to me tomorrow, but i'd say its 50:50.

Thus if you are willing to gamble that the alternate feeds are available, then kicking in another $10-20, depending on the size of the group isn't that much (see thread on how to get to minnesota to put in perspective).

anyways, it is too late for the personal ads.. to find that special someone in central indiana with a residence and the direct tv sports pack, who is willing to spend a march saturday watching ice hockey in exchange for dinner.

Posted by: Stephen Turner (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 07:47AM

Has anyone tried the Cornell Club?

Posted by: RedAR (66.101.241.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 08:19AM

Perhaps a silly suggestion, but for those of us in NYC, is there a bar, or a fellow faithful, in the Albany area that we could make a short trip to? I believe the game is being carried live on Time Warner up there.

Date: March 24, 2005 09:06AM

[Q]Stephen Turner Wrote:

Has anyone tried the Cornell Club?[/q]

I believe it was mentioned on another thread that the Cornell Club does not have DirecTV.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (146.203.15.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:15AM

[Q]JEREMY Wrote:

AS OF WED AT 4:30 SHIP OF FOOLS CAN NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE GAME WILL BE BROADCAST AT THE BAR - AS MANY HAVE DISCUSSED ON THIS WEBSITE THE GAME IS SHOWN ONLY ON ALTITUDE ALTERNATE WHICH IS INCORRECTLY LISTED AS DIRECT TV CHANNEL 658. I APOLOGISE FOR MISLEADING THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE SET ON GOING TO SHIP OF FOOLS ON SATURDAY. TRUST ME I AM AS DISAPPOINTED AS ALL OF YOU. IF THINGS CHANGE AND THE GAME IS ABLE TO BE SEEN I WILL DO MY BEST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. GO RED!

-JEREMY[/q]

Jeremy, were you planning on calling the bar tonight to try to test the channel, as Hillel suggested? If so, please report back to us.

And thanks for all your efforts so far.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (146.203.15.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:19AM

[Q]Greenberg '97 Wrote:

JEREMY Wrote:

-JEREMY[/Q]
Jeremy, were you planning on calling the bar tonight to try to test the channel, as Hillel suggested? If so, please report back to us.

And thanks for all your efforts so far.
[/q]

And further, if they do not receive the package that includes Altitude Alternate, do we have enough people to make it worth them picking it up for the month? Maybe if we get the requisite 40 people, we can each add a buck to our tab or something like that.

Posted by: Nathan Chicowdy 92 (66.28.239.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:55AM

I left a voicemail for the manager yesterday; he has yet to return my call. I'll let everyone know if anything develops.

Assuming that there is a Sunday game . . . please let there be a Sunday game . . . are we in the same boat or will it be easier to find a place with the ESPNU feed?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 11:28AM

ESPN-U should be easier to find. I'm not sure of exactly how its billed - its still not listed on their commercial pricing document, but probably because its so new. Chances are it might be included with the other ESPN networks, or, it would be something they'd be more likely to add on anyway since its more in demand in the Northeast than Altitude Sports.

Also, I notice that CSTV is included in the regular viewing package (you know, non-sports channels mainly) of the commercial DirecTV package. I suppose ESPN-U could get thrown in their too.

No matter what it shouldn't be as obscure as a Colorado sports station.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 24, 2005 11:42AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Also, I notice that CSTV is included in the regular viewing package (you know, non-sports channels mainly) of the commercial DirecTV package. I suppose ESPN-U could get thrown in their too.[/q] Both CSTV and ESPN-U are in the Sports Pack [www.directv.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 11:50AM

Yes, but the commercial sports pack (i.e. that for businesses such as restaurants and sports bars) is different than for residential accounts, which is what you linked to.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 11:57AM

Has anybody given thought to simply waiting for the ESPN-U tape delay showing, and having a gathering then? That's if you don't find any place in the city to view the game live.

I realize it would be at a rather late hour and it's an awful feeling waiting around to watch a game that you know is already in the books, but there would be no competition with NCAA basketball, you'd "own" the place at that hour, and I'm sure SOF (or any sports bar) would be thrilled to have a crowd like that whooping it up with beer and food flowing through 2:30-3 am.

I would imagine it would be a pretty unique experience gathering of dozens of Faithful, not knowing the result of the game (this may be the hardest part...having a roomful of people, and making sure nothing is leaked), and watching it as if it were live. And then, hockey gods willing, you get to come back 12 hours later and do it all over again!

I dunno what you think -- maybe I just proposed the dumbest idea ever -- but I just thought it might be a neat alternative for you guys if there's a lot of trouble finding a place to watch the game on TV.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2005 11:58AM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: jeremy (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:01PM

i am planning on calling the bar tonight - and will post whether or not they were able to see the basketball game - i will not, however, organize the back room. i feel like its an unnecessary risk to have 50 people i dont know show up at SOF on sat. with a chance the game will not be shown. i am planning on going there and hoping that we can get a few tv's with the game on. if it's not able to be shown at SOF - ill probably go home and try to find a webcast.

Date: March 24, 2005 05:29PM

Colgate's New York City alumni are going to be at Joshua Tree Eastside, 513 Third Avenue btw 33rd and 34th, tomorrow, 5 PM game start.

[www.colgatealumni.org]

Posted by: HeafDog (---.hbo.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 07:22PM

[Q]jeremy Wrote:

i am planning on calling the bar tonight - and will post whether or not they were able to see the basketball game - i will not, however, organize the back room. i feel like its an unnecessary risk to have 50 people i dont know show up at SOF on sat. with a chance the game will not be shown. i am planning on going there and hoping that we can get a few tv's with the game on. if it's not able to be shown at SOF - ill probably go home and try to find a webcast.[/q]

Jer, you're going to quit now, after all the good work you've done? The thread about the Altitude Test this evening almost assures us that it's GAME ON at Ship of Fools on Saturday! Come on, man, don't fail me now! Lead us to the Promised Land!

Posted by: Beeeej (68.160.255.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 07:28PM

[Q]HeafDog Wrote:
jeremy Wrote:
i am planning on calling the bar tonight - and will post whether or not they were able to see the basketball game - i will not, however, organize the back room. i feel like its an unnecessary risk to have 50 people i dont know show up at SOF on sat. with a chance the game will not be shown. i am planning on going there and hoping that we can get a few tv's with the game on. if it's not able to be shown at SOF - ill probably go home and try to find a webcast.[/Q]
Jer, you're going to quit now, after all the good work you've done? The thread about the Altitude Test this evening almost assures us that it's GAME ON at Ship of Fools on Saturday! Come on, man, don't fail me now! Lead us to the Promised Land![/q]
I'll second that - and I'll bring a few people, too. Keep us updated, Jeremy! Please don't drop the ball now!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Avash (---.psych.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:00PM

Uh, has anyone called them to see if they're getting the basketball? I don't want to call if someone already has.

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: March 25, 2005 11:27AM

Where is Ship of Fools?? I'll be there with several people
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2005 11:28AM by gobigred24.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login