Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"E" "C" "A" "C" ... "H" "L" ...

Posted by Trotsky 
"E" "C" "A" "C" ... "H" "L" ...
Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:03PM

Is the league going to get a new name in the off-season, or has no decision been made?

Re: "E" "C" "A" "C" ... "H" "L" ...
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:17PM

I suggest we just call it the ECAC (dispensing with the silly HL) unless and until they come up with something better. (Of course, I've already been doing this for months).

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:47PM

Heck - I've been calling it the ECAC for years! :-D

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:48PM

Ivy Plus ;-)

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:51PM

Ivy Minus woot

Posted by: sockralex (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:52PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

Ivy Plus[/q]

I was thinking Cornell Plus

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:09PM

How about Safety League uhoh ?

Date: March 22, 2005 07:23PM

SAHL = Smart Ass Hockey League :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:26PM

The Eastern Conference of Fine Universities

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:39PM

LOL. Hey, now that UVM's not in the league, ECFU might actually fly!

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:29PM

How about the ECHC?

Date: March 22, 2005 09:54PM

don't you mean the EZHC :-P i mean if we're so damn easy we might as well officially put it in our conference name ;-)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:50PM

What I've been wondering w/r/t the speculated full break from the ECAC is who "owns" the conference history/records? If the separation is made complete, will it be proper for us to talk about Cornell having 11 titles, the most in the conference, and looking for it's 12th? Second, how does the NCAA define a conference and it's continuity? Is it simply a certain number of teams need to remain affiliated in some capacity? Because if I recall correctly there is some sort of waiting/probationary period before a new conference is granted an auto-bid (although I would think that even if the literal reading of NCAA rules would require a wait, the NCAA would just grant a waiver in light of the facts).

Posted by: GaryP (---.nas54.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:59PM

Similar to when Ja Rule's record label changed from "Murder, Inc." to "The Inc.," I think the ECACHL would best be served to change the name to "The League."

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:09AM

Kind of along the lines of this?

[Q]EPA To Drop 'E,' 'P' From Name
WASHINGTON, DC—Days after unveiling new power-plant pollution regulations that rely on an industry-favored market-trading approach to cutting mercury emissions, EPA Acting Administrator Stephen Johnson announced that the agency will remove the "E" and "P" from its name. "We're not really 'environmental' anymore, and we certainly aren't 'protecting' anything," Johnson said. "'The Agency' is a name that reflects our current agenda and encapsulates our new function as a government-funded body devoted to handling documents, scheduling meetings, and fielding phone calls." The change comes on the heels of the Department of Health and Human Services' January decision to shorten its name to the Department of Services.

[www.theonion.com][/Q]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:09AM

I personally like ECHA, tho it does sound a bit like ECHL.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:16AM

I love ECHA, but supposedly it's taken. Maybe the league would buy it (breaks down into uncontrollable spasms of laughter...)

Date: March 23, 2005 09:21AM

this one came ala the IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) and is not taken by any hockey conference in north america… ECHF = Eastern Collegiate Hockey Federation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 09:30AM by ben03.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:17AM

[Q]JasonN95 Wrote:
What I've been wondering w/r/t the speculated full break from the ECAC is who "owns" the conference history/records? If the separation is made complete, will it be proper for us to talk about Cornell having 11 titles, the most in the conference, and looking for it's 12th?[/q]

Interesting question. I'm not sure how a team like BU counts its titles -- whether they consider only the Hockey East ones or include the five ECAC ones they won pre-split. I would suspect they don't bother with the ECAC ones, since the split was so acrimonious. But in the ECAC(HL) case, the entire conference would be splitting from an over-seeing organization, so I wouldn't think the conference history would get zeroed out.

[Q]Second, how does the NCAA define a conference and it's continuity? Is it simply a certain number of teams need to remain affiliated in some capacity? Because if I recall correctly there is some sort of waiting/probationary period before a new conference is granted an auto-bid (although I would think that even if the literal reading of NCAA rules would require a wait, the NCAA would just grant a waiver in light of the facts).[/q]

Yes, there is some sort of probationary period for new auto-bids, and as I recall, the NCAA recently bumped it from two to eight (!) years. I'm not sure what defines "continuity" in a conference. Atlantic Hockey's first incarnation was as the MAAC, which got its auto-bid in 2001 after two years of existence. After 2003, however, two of its members dropped hockey, and the remaining nine broke away to form the present conference. They obviously didn't lose their auto-bid.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:35AM

Here's a novel concept. How about avoiding another lame acronym? Changing from E-something-something-something to E-somethingelse-somethingelse-somethingelse isn't going to serve to differentiate the league or make it worth remembering. I prefer something resembling the "Atlantic Hockey" or "Hockey East" route. Come up with a name not an acronym. Having said that, I have no useful suggestions, yet.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:55AM

If we change the name, can we bring back the old torch logo? nut

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:16PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Here's a novel concept. How about avoiding another lame acronym? Changing from E-something-something-something to E-somethingelse-somethingelse-somethingelse isn't going to serve to differentiate the league or make it worth remembering. I prefer something resembling the "Atlantic Hockey" or "Hockey East" route. Come up with a name not an acronym. Having said that, I have no useful suggestions, yet.[/q]

Personally, I think the lameness is on the other side. "Hockey East" sounds like a soccer team, or one of those interchangable IT conferences. "Hockey East: Planning to Plan."

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:39PM

As opposed to interchangeable letter conferences? Too many double entendres in the last 2 posts...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login