Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Minny signs/cheers

Posted by A-19 
Minny signs/cheers
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:59PM

working on a few Minnesota signs, and I thought we could toss some ideas around:

- Golden Showers
- Gopher Your 15th Loss (props to Mike Ack on that one)
- Golden Topher (i love this one)
- Neutral Ice My Ass
- Safety SchoolS
- Michigan Rejects (for OSU)
- The Buck(eye) Stops Here
- OSU Lost to Clarkson (more of a cheer)
- Hirsch is a Nut Job

i wasn't able to think of many for Maine.

apparently hagemo of the us-18 team plays for minny. a few people in section A might find that amusing.

-mike '04

Re: Minny signs/cheers
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:14PM

If Minnesota is down late in either game, I like the cheer "Pride On Links".

Date: March 22, 2005 04:15PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

If Minnesota is down late in either game, I like the cheer "Pride On Links".[/q]

i dont get it

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:18PM

"Pride on Ice," but now they'll be playing golf.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:30PM

for tOSU:
sing the michigan fight song
"tOSU = buckeyes, ___ gives blackeyes" insert cornell player
"tOSU = nothing but nuts"
"tOSU = nuts without nuts"
"tOSU = the overrated state university"

for minne
"I thought they sold small sodas here?" minne soda
if losing late in a game "I see you've seen your shadow" or "your puck thinks the goalie is its shadow " or something similar
if losing late in a game "You would think people from here would be better with ice"
if losing late in a game "shouldnt frozen things be your forte?"
if losing late in a game "after 20 years on skates, you still suck"
if losing late in a game "1000 lakes; wish you were on a different one now?"
if losing late in a game "At least Wisconsin has their cheese"
if losing late in a game "feeling small?"

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:53PM

For the OSU game, a mention of the show CSI? (Their goalie's last name is Caruso)

EDIT: Maybe someone could remind OSU about Hornby (who scored the OT goal to give Cornell its first Florida College Classic championship). Damn I wish I were going!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 04:57PM by Bio '04.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:58PM

Firm in my belief that Hirsch is not actually disturbed or unhealthy:

"We want Tyler!" *clap clap clapclapclap*
"Hey (insert scrub/backup goalie/etc), bang your head into the crossbar and maybe you can be the new leading scorer!"

Obviously if it comes out that he really does have a problem, this is off limits.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:06PM

Golden Topher is good, very good. Neutral Ice My Ass is good to but to what end - if we're winning it doesn't matter, if we're losing it's sour grapes, and do we know if the rink guardians think more along the lines of not Carlin's Seven but Twenty-One dirty words that get the sign kicked out?

Hirsch may be a nut job but that's not sporting.

For OSU, if we're / when we're safely ahead, remind them they won't be going to their own tournament. Can the Pep Band play Leslie Gore's "It's My Party (Cry If I Want To)"? although that may take some introspection.

It would be good to remind any Big Ten teams of their failures in football or the NCAA basketball tournament.

Isn't Maine the Black Bears? There's got to be some repartee with Big Red Bears and Black Bears. "Winning Bears - Losing Bears." "Winning Bears - SAFETY! [school] Bears"?

The games are all going to be tough from here on in, but Cornell fans should at least be aware of the last time each of the possible opponents have been shut out. Just in case.

Given who the regional opponents are, if we win, a case could be made for the supremacy of private school educations and hockey, if we can ignore the Ag school, which may be tough.

"We lace our own skates - the power of an Ivy education."

After a stupid penalty: "You make Clarkson look smart."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 05:16PM by billhoward.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:35PM

Most importantly, being that we'll be a small contingent - we need to make sure that the Big Red knows we're there. We need to be loud and positive, lots of Let's Go Red, sing the Canadian national anthem loudly, all the other traditional cheers.

And who do we root for in the first game? Ideally, maybe we should wait and root for whoever is losing in the third period, so that that teams fans will be on our side on Sunday (if we get there).

And two years ago in Providence, the Ohio State band played Hey Bâby several times. Since they were in the other game, we just sang along with our lyrics. What do we do if they play it this year?

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:44PM

Harvard and Colgate played nearly 5 periods of hockey - I'd be fine if the Minnesota/Maine game went that long. "Our team's waiting...".

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:45PM

Thanks to mastercard, this is a cliche...:

"Gas/food/lodging: $150
All-session pass: $70
Missing a day of ivy league education: $600
Making myself at home in your rink: priceless"

Date: March 22, 2005 06:01PM

Remember the stupid acronym signs rank up there with coeds in nice sweaters in getting on TV. So ...

C ornell
S Skaters
T ops in the
V est [<-- this is a line in progress

... except it's a hodgepodge of networks not CSTV. You'd have to find what the originating network is, the one that produces the telecast. Note that Cornell's first letter and Topher's initials are all in CSTV, so we've got something for the next couple years.

By the way, on TV last Saturday the Cornell fans looked nice and clean cut and wholesome, including the woman in the Harvard Sucks shirt and the young family - Mom, Dad, tyke - attired in Cornell red who were on camera about a dozen times. Also the Pep Band. Good free advertising for the wholesome environment we know as Cornell.

They didn't show the Harvard band at all, I don't recall.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:37PM

IIRC, signs in the NCAA regional sites (worcester and providence) and FF (buffalo) were severely limited in size and content in.
hopefully some of the above will make it into the rink.

Date: March 22, 2005 06:42PM

"I love the NCAA - America, God, Sports & Apple Pie" has no size restriction.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:37PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

They didn't show the Harvard band at all, I don't recall. [/q]

Now why might that be? ;-)

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:20PM

For Minnesota:

"Tough to score wearing a straight-jacket."
Andy W.

Date: March 22, 2005 09:04PM

hate to say it andy but you need to look down and see your standing on a line that need not be crossed ... the faithful are better than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 09:06PM by ben03.

Date: March 22, 2005 09:07PM

i personally like andy's idea-- i doubt the player is actually crazy, which is why it may be acceptable.

i can see where you'd disagree though, ben

-mike

Date: March 22, 2005 09:17PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

hate to say it andy but you need to look down and see your standing on a line that need not be crossed ... the faithful are better than that.[/q]

Hirsch is not really crazy. That's why it --is-- funny.

It's not like the guy pulled out a gun and started shooting people, or tried to kill himself or something. If you watch the video closely, at the end, as he leaves the ice, he "slaps hands" or something with a fan leaning out towards him.

My guess is at the time of the incident he felt like he was done playing hockey. He went back and left his stick at center ice, much like the greco-roman wrestlers leave their shoes at the middle of the mat to indicate that they are retiring.

Obviously if it turns out that the guy really winds up in an insane-asylum, I would not be in favor of using my sign suggestion. But assuming he's basically fine, albeit perhaps a bit of a nut-case, we've got to be able to poke fun at it.
Andy W.

Posted by: jlewis (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:25PM

Sorry if this came up somewhere else but...

What happened to harvard's band?? They we're there on friday...

Date: March 22, 2005 09:26PM

[Q]jlewis Wrote:

What happened to harvard's band?? They we're there on friday... [/q]

Word is that they went to the Harvard women's hockey game.
Andy W.

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:28PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

jlewis Wrote:

What happened to harvard's band?? They we're there on friday... [/Q]
Word is that they went to the Harvard women's hockey game.
Andy W.
[/q]

usually, they just run out of money.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:30PM

How about "Lynah West" because the few hundred of us that show up are going to be far louder than all Minny/OSU/Maine fans combined.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 09:31PM by calgARI '07.

Date: March 22, 2005 09:53PM

i guess we're just going to disagree on this. do i truly think he's certifiable? no. do i think we should poke fun at a 21 year old who's having some issues in his life (hockey related or not)? still not convinced we should. do i change my tune if he's out on the ice and scoring goals seemingly fine on saturday/sunday? probably.
hell, i might even be cheering with you. but you can’t say you have the slightest clue what's going on in this kids head/life … truth be told, none of us do.
i’m just saying i think it would be a classless thing to do if he’s not on the ice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 10:11PM by ben03.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:58PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote: i’m just saying i think it would be a classless thing to do if he’s not on the ice.[/q]Agree

Date: March 22, 2005 10:05PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

ben03 Wrote: i’m just saying i think it would be a classless thing to do if he’s not on the ice.[/Q]
Agree[/q]

I can agree with that too. (How can anyone disagree with Jim Hyla?)
Andy W.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:10PM

Read this... there's some GOLD in here.

[ohiostatebuckeyes.collegesports.com]

More specific gold, written by Caruso himself:
[Q]After my shower I put Martina McBride's Greatest Hits in my CD player and got under the covers and went to sleep. For your knowledge, my favorite Martina McBride song that I sing is "When God Fearing Women Get the Blues." It is an upbeat and fun song. Considering I am a really good singer, I think one day Martina is going to ask to do a duet with me. [/Q]

Personally, I think it would be HYSTERICAL if you could get a bunch of fans to start singing that at him. :-)

Or even... HEY CARUSO! MARTINA MCBRIDE CALLED! AND SHE SAID, YOU SUCK!

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:26PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

i guess we're just going to disagree on this. do i truly think he's certifiable? no. do i think we should poke fun at a 21 year old who's having some issues in his life (hockey related or not)? still not convinced we should. do i change my tune if he's out on the ice and scoring goals seemingly fine on saturday/sunday? probably.
hell, i might even be cheering with you. but you can’t say you have the slightest clue what's going on in this kids head/life … truth be told, none of us do.
i’m just saying i think it would be a classless thing to do if he’s not on the ice.[/q]I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to talk about this, right jeh25? ;-)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:23PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

More specific gold, written by Caruso himself:
After my shower I put Martina McBride's Greatest Hits in my CD player and got under the covers and went to sleep. For your knowledge, my favorite Martina McBride song that I sing is "When God Fearing Women Get the Blues." It is an upbeat and fun song. Considering I am a really good singer, I think one day Martina is going to ask to do a duet with me. [/Q]
Personally, I think it would be HYSTERICAL if you could get a bunch of fans to start singing that at him.

Or even... HEY CARUSO! MARTINA MCBRIDE CALLED! AND SHE SAID, YOU SUCK![/q]

Oh my god, that's gold, pure gold. See, now I have to go to Minneapolis, just so I can shout that at Caruso.

Date: March 23, 2005 12:23AM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

[/q]

There is some UNBELIEVABLY GREAT stuff in there.

Some examples, and suggestions:

1)

"The next movie, Napoleon Dynamite, goes in and parts are assigned to the team. Dave Curuso is cast as the lead role of Napoleon."

The Faithful at Mariucci should just call Caruso "Napoleon" all game. To make sure he knows you're talking to him, start out with some "Nice save, Napoleon", when he makes an easy stop, or "Napoleon, we're coming for you!"

(For those who have not seen the movie (I haven't but my fiancee has) Napoleon Dynamite is a major dork.)

2)

"We had a plan because there was an apple pie for everyone. While a few players ate it, Matt and I don't eat sugar the day of the game as part of our motivation we play to eat apple pie. When we played Miami, it was cheesecake. This time it happened to be apple pie. So, we went to one of the restaurants and asked for two boxes and boxed up the pie. We will eat it only if we win, though. "

Once Cornell is ahead:

"No pie for you tonight, Napoleon."
"No sugar for the sieve."
"You go to bed without dessert tonight, sieve."

3)

"Bryce (Anderson) and I live together in the eight-person house usually so we wanted to mimic what we do at home because I run Bryce's show! Bryce has learned I am his boss and now he is my little puppet. When I tell him to do something, he does it. After setting the rules, Bryce immediately starts breaking the rules, so I showed the Iowan a little Southern butt-whooping. "

"Where's your puppet Bryce, sieve?"
"Hey sieve, did you tell your puppet he could do that?"

To Anderson:
"Hey Bryce, did Napoleon say you could do that?"
"Anderson--better watch it, or Napoleon's gonna give you another butt-whooping."

I've always wondered to what extent opposing goalies let us get into their heads, fearing that a lot of them simply block us out. Well, here's some evidence that Caruso is aware of the fans:

"Throughout the past two games, the "Lawson Lunatics" were very vocal and when I raised my helmet to get water they would chant "Ugly Goalie, Ugly Goalie."

All the more reason to really get on this guy. Some of the above would be hilarious!
Andy W.

Date: March 23, 2005 02:13AM

mike ack had some more great ones he mentioned to me:

OSUcks

Gopher broke

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 06:03AM

don't know if anyone noticed but it seems they call JB Bittner "bitts"...

so maybe a little good bitz, bad bitts is in order

something can probably be done with some of the other players nicknames too - "buzz" fritsche, "the big kid" spector and guenin's checking himself out all the time
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 06:21AM by oceanst41.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 06:35AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

working on a few Minnesota signs, and I thought we could toss some ideas around:

[/q]

Ivy League Hockey:
Putting the STUDENT
in Student-Athlete

Date: March 23, 2005 06:38AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Ivy League Hockey:
Putting the STUDENT
in Student-Athlete[/q]

john,

i like the idea, though it's alot of words to put on a sign.
we said something similar at the vermont game last weekend-- student athletes, stupid athletes...

-mike

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 06:44AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

i’m just saying i think it would be a classless thing to do if he’s not on the ice.[/Q]
I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to talk about this, right jeh25?[/q]

Talk about how mental illness shouldn't be stigmatized? Why shouldn't we?

Oh wait, you meant speculate on a particular student-athlete's mental health? :-P

Seriously, I don't have any problem with speculation. I do have a problem with leaked information.

That having been said, Doyle is spot on: we don't know if this kid is just a little odd or if he has some serious issues to work through. In that light, I'd suggest cracks about his mental health are off limits.

...unless, of course, we discover it's a result of the syphilis he caught from Nickerson.

Date: March 23, 2005 07:32AM

Reminding the other team of our superior SAT scores may have a rebound effect. The opponent may decide the last act of retribution possible, before having to work for the likes of Cornell and Harvard grads, is to kick the living snot out of the Ivy Leaguers on the ice.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:39AM

At the risk of changing the direction of this thread, how about a sign saying something to the effect of:
"Minnesota is now a RED state"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:01AM

I got some UND cheers from my contact. The first one makes fun of the main Minnesota cheer:

The "real" cheer: M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A, Minnesota! Minnesota! Yaaaay Gophers!
The UND version: M-E-D-I-O-C-R-E, Mediocre! Mediocre! Yaaaay Mediocre!

Another one: "Brown and Yellow! Clap, Clap...Clap,clap, clap" since Minny's colors are maroon and gold.

He also says "Guck the Fophers!" is popular and suggested some some of remarks about Phil Kessel would have the desired effect. "Hey Gophers. Phil Kessel called..."

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:14AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Reminding the other team of our superior SAT scores may have a rebound effect. The opponent may decide the last act of retribution possible, before having to work for the likes of Cornell and Harvard grads, is to kick the living snot out of the Ivy Leaguers on the ice. [/q]

What in my statement has anything to do with SAT scores?

I was refering to real honest-to-god students vs. scholarship meat.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:36AM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

for tOSU:

"tOSU = the overrated state university"[/q]

I don't think anyone has ever overrated them. :-)

[Q]for minne

[/q]

Um, that's 10,000 lakes.

Date: March 23, 2005 09:43AM

Agreed. We really don't need to go there.

Date: March 23, 2005 10:11AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

A-19 Wrote:

[/Q]
Ivy League Hockey:
Putting the STUDENT
in Student-Athlete[/q]

Not sure this would have the effect you want. In the Midwest, a lot of students simply aspire to attend their major state university, and elite eastern schools could just as well be on Mars. They're not likely to care about Ivy credentials.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:57AM

Per Maine, anything from the past, see inelligable players to Paul Falco getting busted for selling pot to an undercover cop.

Maine/Minnesota Penalty cheer
"Hey buddy! You're outta here!" done after a penalty
"Hey buddy! You're cheer is queer!"

M-A-I-N-E goooooo blue!
M-A-I-N-E blooooow goo!

Sign suggestion if we get Maine, at the beginning of each period after their fight song they play the Budweiser song (think Wisconsin) and end it with "when you've said Maine Blackbears, YOU'VE SAID IT ALL!", someone make a sign that says "When you've said Maine Blackbears, have you really said anything at all?" The fans also duck and stand to the beat so you can get a "you've got touretts" chant going during that.

Rock and Roll Part II is also used by the Maine pep band to get the crowd going (Hey! Go Maine!) and last time I was up at the Alfond they played it 5 times in a single game, so the Faithful will be able to highjack it and torture their goalie multiple times. Minnesota also plays it in the 3rd during TV timeout, both sing out the whole chorus with "Heeeeya.. heeeya... hey hey hey" etc etc. and Maine continues it acapella if they don't finish it before play restarts (just FYI).

After a big save the Maine band plays "you're unbelievable" and the students yell "You're unbelieveable! UH!", maybe "you're so predictable! CHOKE!".

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:15PM

[Q]Rob NH Wrote:

M-A-I-N-E goooooo blue!
M-A-I-N-E blooooow goo![/q]

Add on tOSU's cheer of "O-H.......I-O!!!" and it'd be fun to point out that the other three teams do an excellent job at spelling.

OK, OK..."NCFS" ("C-O-R-N-E-double-L";) notwithstanding...

Date: March 23, 2005 12:16PM

Oh, by the way in case the games end up on CSTV:

Cornell
Skates
To
Victory

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:45PM

[Q] it'd be fun to point out that the other three teams do an excellent job at spelling.[/Q] Hooked on Phonics worked for you?

Edit: fixed the embedded quotes... kept fixing them...
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 02:41PM by dss28.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:56PM

[q]Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

Oh, by the way in case the games end up on CSTV:

Cornell
Skates
To
Victory[/q]

I would be shocked if any of the games end up on CSTV since ESPNU seems like a direct response to the creation of CSTV. I'm sure the ESPN business development people will claim they had this in the works for years but I would be skeptical.

Posted by: KenP (192.133.17.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 02:14PM

Okay, how about

E xcellent
S tudents
P laying
N CAA Hockey
U-Betcha!

Posted by: jeffdav_CU91 (---.fanniemae.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 03:00PM

The latest is that Tyler suffered a nervous breakdown. Probably best to avoid the subject. We have standards (at least for teams other than Harvahd).

Date: March 23, 2005 07:15PM

[Q]jeffdav_CU91 Wrote:

The latest is that Tyler suffered a nervous breakdown. Probably best to avoid the subject. We have standards (at least for teams other than Harvahd).[/q]

And the later latest is that he practiced with the team today, and may play over the weekend.
Andy W.

Date: March 23, 2005 07:16PM

as far as i am concerned, if he plays he is well, and thus is fair game.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:26PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:
as far as i am concerned, if he plays he is well, and thus is fair game.[/q]"Crash the net! Crash the net! Crash the net!..."

Date: March 23, 2005 07:33PM

land of 10,000 Fakes

Hirsch Update
Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 07:51PM

Okay, I don't know if this got posted elsewhere, but Tyler Hirsch returned to the Gophers team today. His status for this weekend is still up in the air. As it was reported on the local news, Hirsch had "severe emotional issues." He spoke extensively with his coach, Don Lucia, and also went home to his parents to sort issues out. Neither Lucia nor any Hirsch is willing to comment in further detail. That being said, (this could be interpreted as me wearing gopher glasses, but I think it is more of the midwesterner/Minnesotan in me) I think that Hirsch should be off-limits sign and cheer wise. There are plenty of things that can be done without touching what is a pretty delicate situation in my opinion. Any sign related to this subject I think would come off as classless, which is turf that the Black Bear, Buckeye, and Gopher fans hold down pretty well in my opinion.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 11:47PM by ajec1.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:55PM

Against OSU

"Cornell University: Our squad plays for free" or anything else highlighting the recent scandals at OSU.

I must say, as a good old Ohio boy, I am deeply saddened by this matchup. Sometimes it seems like I know a third of the undergrads at OSU (that's about 20,000 people) so we absolutely have to win. Otherwise, I'll never live it down.

The Road to Columbus lies through OSU.

Posted by: jkahn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:29PM

[Q]ajec1 Wrote:

Okay, I don't know if this got posted elsewhere, but Tyler Hirsch returned to the Gophers team today. His status for this weekend is still up in the air. As it was reported on the local news, Hirsch had "severe emotional issues." He spoke extensively with his coach, Don Lucia, and also went home to his parents to sort issues out. Neither Lucia nor any Hirsch is willing to comment in further detail. That being said, (this could be interpreted as me wearing gopher glasses, but I think it is more of the midwesterner/Minnesotan in me) I think that Hirsch should be off-limits sign and cheer wise. There are plenty of things that can be done without touching what is a pretty delicate situation in my opinion. Any sign related to this subject I think would come off as classless, which is turf that the Black Bear, Buckeye, and Gopher fans hold down pretty well in my opinion. [/q]
Agree, certainly for Saturday. If he plays well on Saturday and Minn. wins, we can always reconsider - and if Minn. loses, we might pick up some Gopher fan support if we don't get on Hirsch.

Posted by: JS '93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:36PM

For the OSU game, how about something like a Graduates/No Graduates (pointed) chant.

Team---------APR
Cornell -----1000
OSU -------- 892*

*Note: 925 is the minimally acceptable Academic Progress Rate (APR) for the NCAA. OSU is only one of four or five D-1 Mens hockey teams that did not make the minimum standard. Minnesota and Maine are just over the minimum figure, in the 940s.

Caruso
Posted by: nyiballs (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:55PM

Keeping in line with Caruso being Napoleon Dynamite, I think when doing the remote control goalie, rather than "Bend Over" at the end... it should be "Dang!!"

Re: Caruso
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:56PM

[Q]nyiballs Wrote:

Keeping in line with Caruso being Napoleon Dynamite, I think when doing the remote control goalie, rather than "Bend Over" at the end... it should be "Dang!!"[/q]

GOSH!!

Date: March 23, 2005 11:57PM

How about a sign
"Ohio State
Where the men are men,
... and so are the women"

Date: March 23, 2005 11:57PM

Now we're thinking!

Posted by: jy3 (161.136.210.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:05AM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

jy3 Wrote:

for tOSU:

"tOSU = the overrated state university"[/Q]
I don't think anyone has ever overrated them.

for minne

[/Q]
Um, that's 10,000 lakes.

[/q]

lol that is what 2 hrs of sleep will do for ya, make you leave out a zero :)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:17AM

[Q]nyiballs Wrote:
Keeping in line with Caruso being Napoleon Dynamite, I think when doing the remote control goalie, rather than "Bend Over" at the end... it should be "Dang!!"[/q]"Friggin' IDIOT!"

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 01:55AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
Add on tOSU's cheer of "O-H.......I-O!!!"[/q]
[hawkheads.org]

Surprised no one has mentioned singing "The Victors" for tOSU yet, or atleast chanting "UM Rejects".

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 02:21AM

My favorite, during the 2003 regional: Ohio State's section thought that the large Cornell crowd was pulling for them vs. BC. At least twice, their band/cheerleaders shouted "Hey Cornell!! O-H!!!!" expecting us to gleefully respond "I-O!!!!!"

Our response? Confusion, anger, a couple of "sucks!" and "shut up!"

Date: March 24, 2005 08:11AM

[Q]nyiballs Wrote:

How about a sign
"Ohio State
Where the men are men,
... and so are the women"[/q]

Actually it's "Where men are men, and sheep are nervous" but neither shows much originiality.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:09AM

Didn't someone bring a big Michigan flag to the game against OSU at Lynah last year?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 11:00AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

we said something similar at the vermont game last weekend-- student athletes, stupid athletes...

-mike[/q]

student and stupid sound too similar....if I couldn't figure out what we were saying within 10 yds of where it started, people across the rink certainly won't.
too bad, as i still like it :)

Posted by: Bio '04 (206.149.148.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 10:05PM

"The Ohio State University is an embarrassment to the Big Ten Hockey Conference and the Big Ten Hockey Conference sucks"

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 12:13AM

I got a sign taken away in Albany for having "Harvard Sucks" on it. Jerks. Just be sure that the "sucks" sign doesn't have anything you want on the back. Mine said "Hyphens can't stop pucks. Go Big Red" Stupid Pepsi Arena.

Posted by: Lisa92 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 07:47AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
do i change my tune if he's out on the ice and scoring goals seemingly fine on saturday/sunday? probably.

The guy was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown. Even if he's well enough to play, there are some very serious health issues going on. Let's respect serious health problems and leave it alone.

Date: March 25, 2005 08:25AM

[Q]Lisa92 Wrote:
ben03 Wrote:
do i change my tune if he's out on the ice and scoring goals seemingly fine on saturday/sunday? probably. [/q2]
The guy was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown. Even if he's well enough to play, there are some very serious health issues going on. Let's respect serious health problems and leave it alone.[/Q]
sorry there lisa, read the date on my post(s), it must be nice looking back and makeing judgements. it was only published on wednesday that he was hospitalized. if you had read the other posts i've made on this subject you would then understand i am the one who is defending the damn kid. glad to see people post when they haven't gotten their facts straight and please, don't be so condemnatory when taking quotes out of their original context. hindsight is 20/20.
[Q]At 12:30 pm Tuesday ben03 originally Wrote:
On first sight this was one of the funnier things I’ve ever seen at a hockey rink … but on second thought, it’s what in the hell would cause a 21-year-old accomplished D1 hockey player to pull such a stunt that really concerns me. I’m sure many people (probably mostly Maine fans at the moment) are thinking, “Well at least they won’t have their leading scorer” but that’s a crappy way to win IMHO. Not knowing his situation we can only hope he’s doing all right. Sorry for the semi-rant but something about laughing at that just doesn’t sit well with me.
carry-on[/Q]
[Q]then at 9:04 pm Tuesday ben03 then Wrote:
hate to say it andy but you need to look down and see your standing on a line that need not be crossed ... the faithful are better than that.[/Q]
[Q]still on Tuesday ben03 at 9:53 pm Wrote:
i’m just saying i think it would be a classless thing to do if he’s not on the ice.[/Q]
[Q]wednesday evening ben03 finally Wrote:
Jim Hyla Wrote:
KeithK Wrote: Frankly, you'd be derelict in your duty if you didn't harass him on the ice. Not that I'd ever expect that from you, Josh.[/q]
I disagree, if this kid even might have a psych problem, you don't want to put him over the top. Think about your own kid, if he was having trouble would you want someone else to harass him and make him lose it.[/Q2]
not to mention the 8,000+ minnesota fans sitting all around you
i still think we should leave this alone.[/Q]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2005 08:33AM by ben03.

Date: March 25, 2005 08:59AM

I'm sure the band has this one covered.

Posted by: Lisa92 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2005 09:03AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

Lisa92 Wrote:
ben03 Wrote:
do i change my tune if he's out on the ice and scoring goals seemingly fine on saturday/sunday? probably. [/Q]
The guy was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown. Even if he's well enough to play, there are some very serious health issues going on. Let's respect serious health problems and leave it alone.[/Q]
sorry there lisa, read the date on my post(s), it must be nice looking back and makeing judgements. it was only published on wednesday that he was hospitalized. if you had read the other posts i've made on this subject you would then understand i am the one who is defending the damn kid. glad to see people post when they haven't gotten their facts straight and please, don't be so condemnatory when taking quotes out of their original context. hindsight is 20/20.

Ben, I didn't mean to come across as attacking you. Sorry that it appeared this way.
All that I meant to convey was that, even if the guy is well enough to play, that doesn't mean he's well. I didn't keep track of who said what in the thread because I skimmed the whole thing this morning. I was paying attention to the contents of the posts, and not the authors. I merely was responding to a post. If it was outdated info., sorry about that.

In the future, I'd appreciate it if you voice disapproval of a post with a little less hostility. Can't we deal with each other nicely?

Date: March 25, 2005 09:10AM

[Q]nyiballs Wrote:

How about a sign
"Ohio State
Where the men are men,
... and so are the women"[/q]

Don't think this is quite on target, but keep trying. A few decades ago, when it was the year for the annual Bo/Woody grudge match to be played in Ann Arbor, a lot of women wearing red and sporting Farah Fawcett-type hair would descend on the town on Friday night. OSU is more of a party school than Clarkson could ever be in their wildest dreams.

Date: March 25, 2005 09:28AM

lisa, i apologize for the nth degree surly response. i understand your concern and share your views.
i will be less aggressive/hostile but i’d ask that you’re a bit more careful when you (mis)quote other posters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2005 10:02AM by ben03.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login