Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2005 Florida College Classic

Posted by Avash 
2005 Florida College Classic
Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:53PM

Apparently (?) next December's participants will be Cornell, Maine, Minnesota-Duluth, and Northeastern.

[board.uscho.com]

Re: 2005 Florida College Classic
Posted by: Tom14850 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:00PM

That seems to be a step down in terms of competitive quality from the more recent seasons. Boston College and Ohio State are hard to replace. Any thoughts on how good tUMD will be next year? I don't know anything about them.

It's a shame if it is a step down, because Cornell has been relying rather heavily on that tournament for some quality non-conference opponents.

Posted by: Rita (204.95.232.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:12PM

in order to get an early start on next season PWR gripes :-), in the long run if we play umd it should help us (win, loss or draw) since we will then have connection to the mighty whca in the "opponents-opponents" rpi component.

However, we would likely get maine or northeastern as a first round game since they probably won't (and shouldn't) match up 2 HE opponents for a NC game.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:43AM

I guess that means Ohio State is in fact out of the tournament permanently. I was hoping this past year was just an aberration in preparation for the FF, but I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

"tUMD"? Somebody's been spending too much time on the USCHO message board, I see. :-D

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:57AM

In addition to wanting regional representation, the tournament also wanted schools with big alumni populations who also had big now-living-in-Florida populations. That made the December 2003 tournament great with Ohio State and Notre Dame along with Cornell and Maine.

For the players themselves, the tournament is not a week on the beach. If the players got home for the holidays, they had to depart 12/26 and sometimes 12/25 to get back in order to get to Florida. I think there's one day of free time after the tournament, not a whole week.

Also for OSU with a big in-state population, maybe a holiday tournament is a good PR thing.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:05AM

I like Adam Wodon's idea of having a Lake Placid holiday tournament...

"It's unlikely the ECAC tournament is going back to Lake Placid any time soon. But figure out a way to do something up there every year — maybe an ECAC Holiday Festival."

Though not only with ECAC teams. If they did only, it certainly wouldn't be beneficial for Cornell or other top ECAC teams to play there. And a tournament with the lesser teams of the ECAC wouldn't be a big draw. But if there was one or 2 ECAC teams, and they could draw some Hockey East or Mid West and Western schools...

[www.uscho.com]

Re: 2005 Florida College Classic - revive MSG Tournament?
Date: March 22, 2005 09:25AM

A holiday tournament in Lake Placid is one of those ideas that's brilliant on paper. There is the wee small problem of the town and environs being booked solid during the holiday week and if you can get a room, the hotel may demand a one-week stay. All those rooms for competitors at the 1980 Olympics - they're gone now or turned into prisons.

If the Everblades Classic ever goes bust - and let's hope it doesn't - the ECAC should also look to revive the Madison Square Garden holiday tournament. (If the ECAC wanted to think big, it should try to get the just-concluded tournament out of Albany for a year and into MSG. That way there'd be at least some competent hockey played there.)

And somebody needs to light a fire under MSG and get them to host the NCAAs circa 2012. There was talk 1-2 years back and it seems to have petered out. Maybe Cornell could host it?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:29AM

[Q]Josh 03 Wrote:

Though not only with ECAC teams. If they did only, it certainly wouldn't be beneficial for Cornell or other top ECAC teams to play there. And a tournament with the lesser teams of the ECAC wouldn't be a big draw. But if there was one or 2 ECAC teams, and they could draw some Hockey East or Mid West and Western schools...

[/q]

This is exactly what I was thinking. There could be a rotating participation of two ECAC schools in a four-team tournament, with the two ECAC teams playing the visitors in the first-round games. And just because late December is already so clogged with holiday tournaments, the Placid tournament could take place on Thanksgiving weekend. This probably means RPI won't ever be in the Placid tournament, but there are plenty of other ECAC teams available that weekend I believe.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:37AM

1. A Lake Placid Invitational would be great, and in one way even better than having the ECACs there: fans could make their hotel arrangements far in advance with no danger of needing to cancel them if their team doesn't make it.

2. Too bad tOSU is no longer playing with us in Fla. Especially since we have three Eastern teams in the tournament for the second year in a row.

3. This field may be a step down in hockey competition, but it's a step up in drinking competition. I look forward to partying with the Duluth fans in Fort Myers.

4. Did anyone else think this thread was about the West Regional?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:53AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

4. Did anyone else think this thread was about the West Regional?[/q]

are you still drunk?

And for the topic relevant message...I do miss Lake Placid even though it is tough to get to.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:22AM

Why are ppl so down on tUMD. This team made it to the frozen four only a year ago. I know they had a bad season this year, but they were preranked number 1 going into this season. tUMD has just as much talent as OSU does so I really do not see them as a set down. Also it might give us a chance to play a WCHA opponent which seems to come once in a blue moon outside of the NCAAs. I will agree that Northeastern is a set down from the other teams that have been going to the tournament lately.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:33AM

It's definitely a step down from the great fields we have seen lately. OTOH, it will give Cornell a chance at a win vs a WCHA opponent, and the ensuing bump in the Common Opponents metric of PWR against all WCHA teams.

What the hell -- just win.

Date: March 22, 2005 11:48AM

I'd speculate the matchups will be Cornell vs. Northeastern and Maine vs. UMD - because 1) I doubt they'd match up two HE opponents in the first round and 2) Only once in the 5 years of the tournament have Maine and Cornell faced each other in the first round.

Date: March 22, 2005 12:41PM

Too bad the seedings aren't set, say, 10 days beforehand based on the teams' rankings. BC-Cornell deserved to be the title game.

Date: March 22, 2005 12:44PM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote: Why are ppl so down on tUMD.[/q]Maybe it's an unfair and snippy bias against a school that's the University of Something-Hyphen-at-Something. Eg Texas > Texas Tech > West Texas State A&M in some people's minds.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:23PM

[q]Texas > Texas Tech > West Texas State A&M[/q]

Academically, that holds true in most cases.

Michigan > Michigan State > Western Michigan
North Carolina > NC State > NC-Charlotte
Washington > Washington State > Eastern Washington State

I'm sure there are exceptions, but that they are exceptions implies there is a pattern.

Posted by: schoaff (---.atl.megapath.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:42PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

4. Did anyone else think this thread was about the West Regional?[/q]

Raises hand, lol

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:46PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Texas > Texas Tech > West Texas State A&M[/Q]

Michigan > Michigan State > Western Michigan

I'm sure there are exceptions, but that they are exceptions implies there is a pattern.
[/q]
Ohio State > Ohio?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:51PM

Ohio State is definitely a better academic institution than Ohio University. Of course, listening to a friend who grew up in that area, that doesn't say much about OSU.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:04PM

Penn --> Penn State --> Penn State @ Altuna
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 02:05PM by mjh89.

Other schedule info
Date: March 22, 2005 02:05PM

UNH to play in the 2006 Florida College Classic.

Also, apparently Cornell will host RIT for at least one game next year.

[www.uscho.com]

"So far, [head coach] Wilson says he has 14 Division I games set up. They include pairs of games at Air Force and Robert Morris, a spot in the Quinnipiac tournament, and at least one game at Bowling Green, Colgate and Cornell."

That was written back in December, so I'm not sure if it's still true.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:10PM

The equation still holds:

Michigan > Ohio State > West Virginia

"Go Blue!" help

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:12PM

Me, too.

Date: March 23, 2005 09:41AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

I'd speculate the matchups will be Cornell vs. Northeastern and Maine vs. UMD - because 1) I doubt they'd match up two HE opponents in the first round and 2) Only once in the 5 years of the tournament have Maine and Cornell faced each other in the first round.[/q]

When Cornell, Maine, and tOSU were the co-co-hosts, they used to rotate the first-round pairings:

2000: tOSU
2001: NMU (guest)
2002: Maine
2003: Notre Dame (guest)
2004: BC (tOSU standin)

So I think we're actually due for Maine. I'll be happy if we don't play tUMD in the first round so we can root for each other on the first night.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:40AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:So I think we're actually due for Maine. I'll be happy if we don't play tUMD in the first round so we can root for each other on the first night.[/q]I don't know that you can necessarily assume anyone from Duluth will make it down to Florida. It's a hell of a long trip even straight down, let alone if you have to come way east on top of that.

Date: March 23, 2005 11:57AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:So I think we're actually due for Maine. I'll be happy if we don't play tUMD in the first round so we can root for each other on the first night.[/Q]
I don't know that you can necessarily assume anyone from Duluth will make it down to Florida. It's a hell of a long trip even straight down, let alone if you have to come way east on top of that.[/q]

I'm hoping you and I (and Rich) can talk tPB into taking tBandwagon on a Southern roadtrip. (Guess we should have made that trip to Duluth for the tUVM-tUMD series.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:12PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Penn --> Penn State --> Penn State @ Altuna

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/22/05 02:05PM by mjh89.[/q]

Actually Penn State = Penn State @ Altoona. They are officially the same institution.

A more suitable analogy would be Penn > Penn State > Kutztown U (formerly Kutztown State College)

Re: Other schedule info
Posted by: jy3 (161.136.210.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 03:23AM

so that makes the schedule like this...
unsure where RIT would fit but *maybe* January? - a home and home would be interesting. Also the Estero tourney as mentioned has these teams. Cornell, Maine, Minnesota-Duluth, and Northeastern

The 2005-6 CU Schedule (as of 11/1)

Fri Oct-21 US Nat (Ex)
Fri Oct-29 Mich St
Sat Oct-29 Mich St
Fri Nov-04 @Brown
Sat Nov-05 @Yale
Fri Nov-11 @Dartmouth
Sat Nov-12 @Harvard
Fri Nov-18 RPI
Sat Nov-19 Union
Fri Nov-25 Niagara
Sat Nov-26 Niagara @Roch or HSBC
Fri Dec-2 Princeton
Sat Dec-3 Quinnipiac
Fri Dec-30 Florida (northeastern, umd or maine?)
Sat Dec-31 Florida (northeastern, umd or maine? less first round game)
Fri Jan-6 TBA (RIT?)
Sat Jan-7 TBA (RIT?)
Fri Jan-13 @Princeton
Sat Jan-14 @Quinnipiac
Fri Jan-20 Clarkson
Sat Jan-21 St. Lawrence
Fri Jan-27 Brown
Sat Jan-28 Yale
Fri Feb-3 Colgate
Sat Feb-4 @Colgate
Fri Feb-10 @Clarkson
Sat Feb-11 @St. Lawrence
Fri Feb-17 Dartmouth
Sat Feb-18 Harvard
Fri Feb-24 @RPI
Sat Feb-25 @Union
----post season as needed----
Fri Mar-3 ECAC
Sat Mar-4 ECAC
Fri Mar-10 ECAC
Sat Mar-11 ECAC
Fri Mar-17 ECAC
Sat Mar-18 ECAC
Fri Mar-24 NCAA
Sun Mar-26 NCAA
Thur Apr-6 NCAA
Sat Apr-8 NCAA

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 08:59AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Texas > Texas Tech > West Texas State A&M[/Q]

Michigan >Michigan State > Western Michigan

[/q]

Hrmm. Is that why UConn and UC-Berkeley sometimes go by Connecticut and California in the athletics world? UConn, okay maybe, but why in hell does Berkeley get to be "Cal" over UCLA or UC-Davis or UCSD?

Anyway, more grist for the mill:

UConn > UConn Regional Campuses > CCSU/SCSU/ECSU
UMass > UMass Lowell/Boston/Dartmouth > MIT =p (seriously, does MA have a 3rd tier?)
Wisconsin > UWisc-River Falls/Stevens Point/etc

And you forgot MTU above :)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:14AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
UMass > UMass Lowell/Boston/Dartmouth > MIT =p (seriously, does MA have a 3rd tier?)
[/q]

Would something like Salem State College count?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:27AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
UConn, okay maybe, but why in hell does Berkeley get to be "Cal" over UCLA or UC-Davis or UCSD?

Mass > UMass Lowell/Boston/Dartmouth > MIT =p (seriously, does MA have a 3rd tier?)
[/q]
I suppose the "Cal" thing is simply historical. Back in the day only Cal-Berkeley and UCLA of the UC schools had big-time athletics, and the latter always went by UCLA. So UC-Berkeley was Cal by default. Like UNC is never referred to as UNC-Chapel Hill or Nebraska as Nebraska-Lincoln in the sports world. The flagship campus gets to drop the city designator by default, I guess.

The third Massachusetts tier would be places like Bridgewater State, Salem State, etc.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 11:20AM

Or likewise, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (though this gets used by some WCHA fans...)

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
why in hell does Berkeley get to be "Cal" over UCLA or UC-Davis or UCSD?
[/q]

The story I've heard from my teammates at UCLA and a Berkeley grad is that Berkeley was the first UC school, hence they were "Cal," since there was no other competition for the name. UCLA was the second UC school. This is supposedly why UCLA's teams are the Bruins and its colors are baby blue and gold - because they were the babies of Berkeley, whose teams are the Bears (state animal of California) and wear blue and gold. Other UC schools also have variations on the blue-yellow color scheme, although I suppose they ran out of Bear nicknames. This is all unsubstantiated, but it makes sense...

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 02:54PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:
The story I've heard from my teammates at UCLA and a Berkeley grad is that Berkeley was the first UC school, hence they were "Cal," since there was no other competition for the name. UCLA was the second UC school. This is supposedly why UCLA's teams are the Bruins and its colors are baby blue and gold - because they were the babies of Berkeley, whose teams are the Bears (state animal of California) and wear blue and gold. Other UC schools also have variations on the blue-yellow color scheme, although I suppose they ran out of Bear nicknames. This is all unsubstantiated, but it makes sense...[/q]
yeah they definitely ran out of bear nicknames hence, "1986 UCSC students in finally convinced the chancellor to make the lowly but beloved Banana Slug
UC Santa Cruz's official mascot

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 02:57PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
yeah they definitely ran out of bear nicknames hence, "1986 UCSC students in finally convinced the chancellor to make the lowly but beloved Banana Slug[/q]

Don't forget the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos.

Date: March 24, 2005 03:46PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:
yeah they definitely ran out of bear nicknames hence, "1986 UCSC students in finally convinced the chancellor to make the lowly but beloved Banana Slug[/Q]
Don't forget the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos.[/q]

Go Gauchos!

(Another example is the UC Irvine Anteaters.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login