Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Whats going on.....TV???

Posted by Mike 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Whats going on.....TV???
Posted by: Mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 02:30PM

Is the saturday game Cornell v.s OSU going to be on T.V. Because if I have to pull out my radio im going to be pissed!!!! nut Let me know if youve heard anything more. And also just wanted to say Im so impressed with the way everybody turned out in Albany. I was there and it was amzing the support we gave our team. Good job guys.

Re: Whats going on.....TV???
Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: March 21, 2005 02:42PM

I'm going to be pissed about all the people that post redundant questions as things heat up that have been discussed at length, though said posters are not interested in reading said posts, but instead just want a quick answer to their question which has been answered over and over. And I'm tired of run on sentences with improper grammer.

Comes with the territory when things heat up and a larger base becomes more excited and interested in the forum, so I don't mean to be a jerk to Mike. I'm not really pissed, but it is a bit funny/annoying. Sort of akin to all the people at watch parties and of my friends who have heard that we're in the Final Four next weekend and are very excited about it. nut

Date: March 21, 2005 02:52PM

i did read the other posts and there were no answers and people were getting off that topic. We need to get back on it because i need to watch that game on T.V. Chill out buddy.

Date: March 21, 2005 03:00PM

There are plenty of answers. The answer is maybe, but we don't know yet. It will be tape delayed on ESPN U at 12:30 am Sunday morning (Saturday night). There may be regional coverage (available in Ithaca markets and hopefully on DirecTV through a regional station). That's my understanding. We'll know more on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:08PM

I'll say again as well

You can contact ESPN about their programming: [sports.espn.go.com]

Please be understanding that they're chosen another hockey game for ESPNU at that time, but make them aware that there is significant demand and it would be worth their while, as well as the while of regional stations, to make sure the game is aired live on a regional station available on DirecTV or Dish Network's Sports Pack, and even more so if it was on MSN, YES, or FSN NY.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.radnor01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:19PM

Anyone know what the deal with webcasting (radio or video) is for this weekend? Those of us not in NY might not be so lucky with TV

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:36PM

[www.ncaasports.com]

They will announce syndication stuff tomorrow.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:38PM

Ohio State has the collegesports pass. Same deal as with Cornell.

Maine has free net audio (see Free Net Audio page from the Everblades this year). I believe Minnesota has free net audio as well. However, I doubt either of those two would webcast the later game between Cornell and OSU. If we make it to Sunday, then you'd be in luck.

Date: March 21, 2005 03:44PM

And if we make it to Sunday, that game is live on ESPN U.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:56PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I'll say again as well

You can contact ESPN about their programming:

Please be understanding that they're chosen another hockey game for ESPNU at that time, but make them aware that there is significant demand and it would be worth their while, as well as the while of regional stations, to make sure the game is aired live on a regional station available on DirecTV or Dish Network's Sports Pack, and even more so if it was on MSN, YES, or FSN NY.[/q]

I don't think they have any control over that. We have to convince one of the RSNs to pick it up.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Powderhound (12.33.64.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 04:19PM

Horrible time for Adelphia to drop the Empire Network and give us 365 days of the NFL Network. Who cares how many times Parcells crapped in March, what the hell can you possibly report on?

Date: March 21, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
I don't think they have any control over that. We have to convince one of the RSNs to pick it up.[/q]
Well considering ESPN will be *selling* it to an RSN, it might be a selling point for them to say "hey, we got a couple hundred emails asking for this game".

But if you want to write to RSNs too, be my guest.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 04:36PM

I believe the Empire Network is no longer in existence...but agreed on the NFL network, though some of those NFL films shows are great.

Posted by: Jason '93 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:23PM

Sunday's game has been picked up by Comcast on CN8 in the Boston market. Let's hope Sat. gets picked up as well locally. LGR.

-Jason

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]Jason '93 Wrote:

Sunday's game has been picked up by Comcast on CN8 in the Boston market. Let's hope Sat. gets picked up as well locally. LGR.

-Jason
[/q]

CN8 is doing the Midwest regional final Saturday at 5, so they won't be picking up our Saturday game live.

Posted by: Red07 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:20AM

Anybody else find it ironic that out of all the games that are being televised, or at least shown on some affiliate, 3 out of the 4 games involve ECAC teams. Probably looking into this way too much but just an observation.

Red07

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 07:12AM

[Q]Red07 Wrote: Anybody else find it ironic that out of all the games that are being televised, or at least shown on some affiliate, 3 out of the 4 games involve ECAC teams. Probably looking into this way too much but just an observation.- Red07[/q]It could be TV people have recognized the quality and purity of ECAC/eastern hockey It could be the elite liberal commie pinko homosexual GOP-baiting anti-creationism dope-smoking eastern media looking out for its own and the elite liberal etc. colleges they attended. Or it could be market size: Harvard, Cornell, and Colgate are in big TV markets. Correction, Harvard is in a big TV market and lots of the Cornell and Colgate students hail from those big markets. And maybe, just maybe, the enthusiasm of the fans has something to do with the choices, although that wouldn't explain Harvard.

Posted by: Red07 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:40AM

I realized I typed that completely wrong. I meant that 3 out of the four games NOT being televised involve ECAC teams. Should we just reverse everything you just said?

Confused??
Posted by: Mike (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:13PM

I looked on ncaasports.com and looked at brodcasting nd it has the game being telivisied on ESPN sydication. What does that mean. I clicked on it and it said it would be announced this mourning but i couldnt find it. Does that mean its definitly going to be on tv they just dont know where yet or does it mean something else. Let me know.

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:18PM

I e-mailed Time Warner and got some great news back!

Here is the TV schedule for central and northern NY:

Dear Chris –

Yes! Time Warner Sports 26 will carry the NCAA hockey game between Cornell and Ohio State. We will also carry the following this weekend:

Fri 3/25 at 5:00 pm NCAA Hockey Men’s Midwest Regional Semifinal #1 – Colorado/Colgate LIVE
8:30 pm NCAA Hockey Men’s Midwest Regional Semifinal #2 – Michigan/Wisconsin LIVE

Sat 3/26 10:00 pm NCAA Hockey Women’s Frozen Four Semifinal – St. Lawrence/Harvard played 3/25
3:30 pm NCAA Men’s Hockey West Regional Semifinal #1 IN PROGRESS Minnesota/Maine
6:00 pm NCAA Men’s Hockey West Regional Semifinal #2 – Cornell/Ohio State LIVE

8:30 pm NCAA Men’s Hockey Midwest Regional Final (Delayed from 5pm)

Also, we will carry the West Regional Final Live on Sunday at 3:30pm.

We hope you will enjoy viewing these games.

Have a nice day

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:36PM

That is spectacular. Great coverage. I was really hoping they would pick up the Colgate game.

Posted by: RichH (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:

Yes! Time Warner Sports 26 will carry the NCAA hockey game between Cornell and Ohio State. We will also carry the following this weekend:

5:00 pm NCAA Hockey Men’s Midwest Regional Semifinal #1 – Colorado/Colgate LIVE

[/q]

That's terrific, since that must mean that some RSN is planning on airing these games for TWC to pick up. It would be good for those planning satellite events to find out what network exactly that is, as the three first-round games involving ECAC teams are still the only ones with blanks next to them on USCHO's TV listing. Unless ESPNU will do the broadcast for any local cable outlets to pick up independently, such as Ithaca TWC.

The Time Warner Sports schedule indeed has it:
[web.twcny.com]

Also, it seems that CN8 will be showing all four regional finals, and last I checked, CN8 streamed their video feed online.

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Confused??
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:42PM

[Q]Mike Wrote:

I looked on ncaasports.com and looked at brodcasting and it has the game being televisied on ESPN sydication. What does that mean. I clicked on it and it said it would be announced this morning but i couldnt find it. Does that mean its definitly going to be on tv they just dont know where yet or does it mean something else. Let me know.[/q]
It says it will be announced this afternoon or *tomorrow* morning. Patience, young grasshopper.

Posted by: jeffdav_CU91 (---.fanniemae.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:05PM

Who was your contact at Time Warner Central NY?
I'm lobbying TW of Corning to see if they will carry the games as well.

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:38PM

There was not a specific name, but the e-mail came from this address. I originally just looked up Time Warner and sent and e-mail to the contact address for the branch closest to me.

syr.northcountry.cable [syr.northcountry.cable@twcable.com]

Posted by: redGrinch (---.gao.gov)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:06PM

[Q]Mike Wrote:

I looked on ncaasports.com and looked at brodcasting nd it has the game being telivisied on ESPN sydication. What does that mean. I clicked on it and it said it would be announced this mourning but i couldnt find it. Does that mean its definitly going to be on tv they just dont know where yet or does it mean something else. Let me know.[/q]

It means that ESPN will produce the game (cameras, on-air talent, etc) and make it available to networks to air. It's up to local cable networks and broadcast stations to determine if they want to pick up the feed and broadcast it.

Date: March 22, 2005 03:37PM

Thats great news. Cant wait to watch it. LETS GO RED!!

By the way i was wondering. At the end of saturdays championship game one of the abotts ( couldnt catch the number from my seats) went down. Is he Okay??

Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:57PM

It was Cam. He did get out on the ice after that--and seemed just fine at the post-game festivities!... but don't know if there were any lingering effects from either the hit or the party... :-)

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:01PM

Sent a protest to folks at ESPN for not carrying the game and got this response inside 20 hours:

[Q] That game is available nationally through DIRECTV on ESPNU. Please
contact DIRECTV for information about adding this channel to your
package.

ESPNU is a basic cable network and is available to any cable system or
satellite provider that would like to offer the service to its
subscribers. It is, however, the system's decision as to whether or not
the network is offered. You should check with your provider to find out
what their plans are to add new services, including ESPNU, to their
lineup. [/Q]

Date: March 22, 2005 04:09PM

[Q]profudge Wrote:

Sent a protest to folks at ESPN for not carrying the game and got this response inside 20 hours:

That game is available nationally through DIRECTV on ESPNU. Please
contact DIRECTV for information about adding this channel to your
package.

blah blah blah
[/Q]
[/q]

Guess you had to specifically say you wanted them to show it LIVE. They seem to think you didn't know it was available tape-delayed? rolleyes

Date: March 22, 2005 04:19PM

I got the same response. Telling me it was available at 12:30 am. I responded back and explained myself further.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:20PM

The Cornell-Ohio State game will be shown live on Altitude Sports & Entertainment, which is available on DirectTV and Dish Network. The West final will be shown on Altitude, Fox Sports Net-North, and ESPN-U. Both games will also be on a number of local cable affiliates, including Time Warner-Syracuse.

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 04:20PM by cbuckser.

From the CornellBigRed web site
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:21PM

"On DirecTV, the Altitude Sports Network (channel 644) will broadcast both Saturday's West Regional semifinal and Sunday's West Regional final live, while ESPNU (channel 609) will carry Saturday's contest on tape delay at 11:30 p.m. and will deliver Sunday's final live. To get both channels, you have to purchase the Sports Pack option."

They also give complete geographical breakdowns, but they didn't format correctly here.

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Posted by: sockralex (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:31PM

So best bet to watch live nationwide outside of Ithaca-Syracuse is DirecTV 644 Altitude Sports? According to the DirecTV listings it has the regional from Michigan scheduled. Hmm..

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:38PM

[Q]According to the DirecTV listings it has the regional from Michigan scheduled. Hmm..
[/Q]

I'm hoping that's a mistake, since ESPNU is listed as showing the Grand Rapids regional at the same time.

Date: March 22, 2005 05:12PM

Hmmm, this isn't great. The Altitude.tv web page also lists the midwest semifinal at that time. Maybe things are about to change over, or else Cornell got their info wrong.

Edit: its possible Cornell mistook "West semifinal" to always mean us, but sometimes it just means Minn/Maine.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 05:15PM by DeltaOne81.

Altitude: Could be bad news
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:21PM

Uh oh. I think we have a problem. Maybe.

When I saw the Cornell Athletics announcement that Colorado-based Altitude was the only DirecTV-available regional sports network to carry the Cornell game live, I gave Altitude a call immediately, because they're a problematic channel.

Here's the rub: As I understand it, there are actually TWO Altitude channels: "regular" Altitude and "Altitude alternate." Only the "regular" Altitude is available on DirecTV's "Sports Pack" (it's channel 644). I think "Altitude alternate" is only available on a regional basis in the Colorado area (I may be wrong on that).

At any rate, the glitch is that "regular" Altitude (DTV 644) is indeed -- at this time, at least -- NOT going to show the Cornell game. "Regular" Altitude will be showing the Midwest region final in that time slot. I called Altitude to confirm this. They said the Cornell-OSU game will be shown live on "Altitude alternate," which as far as I can tell is not available in most of the country.

In other words, the Cornell Athletics announcement may be wrong: The CU game may not be available live on channel 644, or any other channel on DTV.

I'm holding out some hope that "regular" Altitude will make a programming change, or that another DTV-available regional sports network will pick up the game live, because at this moment, all gatherings to watch the Cornell game live on satellite are not going to happen.

Re: Altitude: Could be bad news
Date: March 22, 2005 05:24PM

Hillel, did (could) you communicate this to someone at Cornell?

Date: March 22, 2005 05:29PM

Why is there no mention of Altitude Alternate - either their existance or their schedule - on the altitude.tv web site, nor on any other website I can find?

On a side note, DirecTV does have a lot of spots saved for "Regional Sports Net alternates"

Posted by: min (---.mw.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:29PM

If CC makes it to the regional final, I think that there's nearly zero probability that "regular" Altitude will show the Cornell-OSU game live.

Date: March 22, 2005 05:31PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Why is there no mention of Altitude Alternate - either their existance or their schedule - on the altitude.tv web site, nor on any other website I can find?

On a side note, DirecTV does have a lot of spots saved for "Regional Sports Net alternates"[/q]

For example, when FSNorth shows something different in Wisconsin and Minnesota, the Wisconsin feed splits off and lands on 642 while the Minnesota feed stays on 641. But we need to find out now, not Saturday, if this will happen with Altitude.

Date: March 22, 2005 05:33PM

ESPN U is showing the Midwest Region Final. As I understand it, that takes precedence. They have the rights to the tourney. But if there not covering a game live, someone else may pick it up.

So, since ESPN U is carrying the Midwest Final game, Altitude can't cover it. They have to cover something else (the Cornell OSU game).

Does what I'm saying make sense and does it sound right to anyone or am I totally off?

Posted by: dargason (---.155.212.219.conversent.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:35PM

Sounds like great logic to me! But then again, I'm not sure if these things follow any logic that I am aware of nut

Date: March 22, 2005 05:37PM

I think other stations can still show it while ESPNU does. ESPNU is well aware that they're not on a ton of providers and are still licensing out. This is true for the first West semifinal, as well as others. I wish that held, but I don't think they're maintaining exclusive rights at this point.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:43PM

[Q] I think other stations can still show it while ESPNU does[/Q]

I think that's correct, since the West finals are scheduled to be shown live on both ESPNU and Altitude. I guess the same could happen with the Midwest regional.

Date: March 22, 2005 05:47PM

Partial update on nationally-available satellite options (after speaking with Altitude and CU Athletics):

1. If Altitude's programming spills/splits, then I recommend looking for the "alternate" feed on DirecTV channel 658. I have a teenyweeny ray of hope that DTV 658 may save the day, but I wouldn't get too excited yet.

2. Jeremy Hartigan (CU's Interim Director of Athletic Communications) will be calling Time Warner tomorrow morning to see if he can get old-school satellite coordinates -- this will only be of use to people and sports bars who do the satellite thang the old-fashioned way, not with DTV. Not many of those left.

More to come.

Re: Altitude: Contact number
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 05:51PM

Hi...
I found this phone number on the website. I have only talked to machines, no humans yet. but I left a message stating at this point they are the only hope that cornell fans across the country have of seeing this game.

303.405.1100, ask for the altitude entertainment network.

however, if more people called.......

I'll give my 0.02 cents to cornell athletics tomorrow morning....

rita

Date: March 22, 2005 05:54PM

You mean 648?

In the meantime, I suggest we bombard the follow address with requests:
info@yesnetwork.com
[msn.foxsports.com] (good for FSNY or NE or FS Ohio or FS Cincinnati - you can submit it multiple times, once for each station)
[www.boston.com] (this is where NESN's feedback link leads)
msgnetpr@msgnetwork.com
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 05:56PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: March 22, 2005 06:05PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote: You mean 648? [/q]
No, I was told 658, but I'd like to hear it from someone with more chops at Altitude before I get my hopes up.

Rita (and others), I'm not sure that bombarding Altitude with inquiries will be helpful. Their first responsibility is serving their Colorado college hockey fan consituency, which means that the West regional is of little interest. If you do call them, be openly grateful that they're picking the CU-OSU game up on their "alternate" (not an official name) thang, and let's concentrate on finding out how to find their "alternate" programming nationwide. I think it's miraculous that Altitude is showing CU-OSU in any way/shape/form.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 06:06PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: March 22, 2005 06:10PM

Fred, you want to start threads on eLF and USCHO about this? I'm too busy this week, but last week's impact on CSTV was encouraging. Please suggest that people be positive and non-hostile about it, but express their strong interest in seeing this game LIVE.

I will certainly participate in the letter-writing campaign, but don't have time to organize it.

Date: March 22, 2005 06:20PM

done - [elf.elynah.com]

Date: March 22, 2005 06:30PM

and done - [board.uscho.com]

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:41PM

Games can be seen live on Time Warner 26 or on Directv channel 644 (Altitude)

[www.cstv.com]

Date: March 22, 2005 06:43PM

The Altitude Sports part appears to be incorrect (from a practical perspective, if you check the rest of this thread).

Date: March 22, 2005 07:56PM

who's to say the release from the athletic department might actually be right and everybody else is jumping to inacurate conclusions.

Date: March 22, 2005 07:58PM

How about this?

[board.uscho.com]

Date: March 22, 2005 08:07PM

The Altitude web site recently posted a press release stating that the alternate Altitude feed will be on DirecTV channel 658 and Dish Netowrk channels 445 (on Friday) and 448 (on Saturday).

Though I'm certainly going to check my Dish Network receiver's programming guide on Friday morning to make sure that this is accurate, I take this to be very good news.

[www.altitude.tv]

Date: March 22, 2005 08:13PM

Well that is very good news. I'd like to hear this from Hillel and DirecTV (I may call DirecTV), but this is very good so far.

Date: March 22, 2005 08:15PM

I guess everybody got worked up over nothing

Date: March 22, 2005 08:18PM

see posting under the "tv still unknown thread" for more info from altitude.

Posted by: redice (---.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 08:36PM

Lots of luck on calling DirecTV!! I recall a few years ago calling them to determine if they were going to carry an NCAA Regional game involving Cornell. Like this year, I wanted to know if I could watch the game at home (on DirecTV) or travel to Ithaca (to watch it on TWC). There was absolutely nobody at DirecTV who could answer the question. I ended up driving to Ithaca screwy
Since they know, well in advance, that these regionals are going to happen, does it seem THAT difficult to just plan this thing out, in advance?

Date: March 22, 2005 08:39PM

The NCAA has listed the stations or cable systems that will show the games from the four regionals.

[www.ncaasports.com]

Another update
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:25PM

Another update on the situation with Altitude. Good news/bad news.

First, let me say that the people at Altitude are fantastic. Very sympathetic and patient. If I find out that anybody was cranky with them, I'm gonna come over and unscrew the bulb on your porchlight.

All of the information below pertains to folks who are outside areas that will be getting the game live on plain old cable TV (CNY, etc.).

I can confirm that the Cornell Athletics release is wrong -- Altitude is NOT going to show the Cornell game on DTV 644. I can also confirm that they will show the game live on an alternate DTV channel, 658 (it's something else if you're a Colorado cable consumer who gets Altitude via cable). Dish Network will also air the Altitude alternate feed (see above for details on that.) Athletics will probably publish a correction on the DirecTV situation this week.

The good news: The broadcast on DTV channel 658 will be available to household consumers nationwide who get DirecTV's add-on package called "Sports Pack."

The bad news for most folks in the Cornell/Ohio State diaspora: The situation when it comes to sports bars and other commercial venues is very murky. Channel 658 is NOT available on all commercial DTV accounts -- even places that get "Sports Pack." It sounds like access to DTV 658 is an a la carte add-on: some get it, many don't, and most of 'em probably have no idea whether they get it or not. Scheduling a public gathering at a sports bar to watch Saturday afternoon's game live is a risky proposition, even at places that showed last weekend's ECAC championship. Unless you get an unusually swift manager (riiiiiiight), it will be very difficult to check whether an establishment will be able to broadcast this game, because DTV 658 is almost always blank. [One absurdly complicated test: Call the sports bar at about 10:00 p.m. ET on Thursday night and ask them to put on DTV 657. Yes, 657. If they see a D-II basketball tournament game -- Metro State vs. Virginia Union -- you're probably good to go for 658 on Saturday... Don't ask.]

So if you don't get DTV at home and you live outside CNY, Omaha, KC, Denver, and other lucky pockets, it looks like watching the regional semifinal live is likely to be a hit-or-miss challenge.

Edit: I see that Rita posted the same thing in another thread after speaking with Altitude's fabulous affiliatemeister Charlotte.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 07:54AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: March 22, 2005 09:35PM

Here's another point.

Altitude alternate is carrying UNH vs. Harvard on Saturday right before our game. So if you call at 1:30 on Saturday and see if they can get the Harvard/UNH game on 658. If they do, that's even better news.

Oh, and on Friday when they should be carrying the Worcester semis. (Edit: I see someone else realized this below before I edited it in :) )
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 09:46PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: PRR94 (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:43PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Here's another point.

Altitude alternate is carrying UNH vs. Harvard on Saturday right before our game. So if you call at 1:30 on Saturday and see if they can get the Harvard/UNH game on 658. If they do, that's even better news.[/q]

We should know Friday, right? They are scheduled to broadcast BC/Mercyhurst in the afternoon.

Also, sports bars do have to purchase Altitude separately:

[www.directv.com]

-Parag

Posted by: jy3 (161.136.210.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:46PM

so what about Western NY? I assume that Adelphia is not going to carry any of the games. will time warner just buy them out already or what :)

i have been thinking about jumping to direct tv for other reasons, but this would help, even if this game is not on. i wonder how long it takes to get direct tv installed...

Date: March 22, 2005 10:12PM

Hey Hillel... what time zone is that 7:30 pm Bball game in? Are we talking 7:30 eastern or mountain??

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:40PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote: Hey Hillel... what time zone is that 7:30 pm Bball game in? Are we talking 7:30 eastern or mountain?? [/q]
Sheeeeit! Good catch, Fred. The game in question is Metro State's D-II Elite Eight hoops game (a Denver school, thus the Altitude broadcast). It's 7:30 Mountain Time. So if you wanna do this crazy "Altitude alternate" test at a sports bar, call 'em or stop by at 9:45 or 10:00 Eastern Time on Thursday, when the game's in progress, and ask them to turn to 657 (yes, 657, not 658).

I'm gonna edit my post above now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 11:56PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: March 23, 2005 06:52AM

I goy my service two weeks ago from Best Buy here in Ithaca. 4 room instalation with a Tivo DVR for $49 and installed in 4 days.

Date: March 23, 2005 09:23AM

One more question for Hillel or Rita...

Based on praje's post, it seems in that document that the bars do need to purchase Altitude separately. However, if they do so, do they need to additionally purchase the Altitude alternate feeds as ala carte beyond that? or does purchasing the Altitude package include the alternate feeds?

Perhaps you can clarify that with Altitude or something. Because if purchasing the Altitude package includes the alternate(s), then we should just be able to test at any time that the bar indeed receives 644. Although I would still certainly do the other tests, it would be comforting to know that they're supposed to be included with the main channel.

Re: Another update
Date: March 23, 2005 09:55AM

More updates:

1. New York State cable options seem to be increasing. This may have been posted before, but it appears that Time Warner Albany and Time Warner Rochester will now be picking up the Cornell-Ohio State game live on Saturday afternoon, increasing the breadth of cable availability in Upstate NY. Time Warner Syracuse had already announced that they'd be showing the game live.

2. Sometime this afternoon or tomorrow, there is a chance that one or more regional sports networks available on DirecTV's "Sports Pack" will announce that they'll be picking up the Cornell regional semifinal live. If so, this will dramatically increase the odds of arranging live public viewing opportunities for Cornell and Ohio State folks at sports bars. I've set up a means of getting this news as soon as it's available. Stay tuned.

Fred, I think you should assume that sports bars that buy the Altitude DTV add-on will also get Altitude's alternate feeds. I also think you should assume that the only sports bars willing to put out for that will be places that cater to large groups of expatriate Coloradans. Yikes.

Edit: Cornell Athletics has updated and corrected their release on viewing opportunities. A thank you to everyone there for helping, esp. Jeremy.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 10:32AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.amer.csc.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:11AM

For the West Regional final, www.ncaasports.com lists CN8 (NJ, PA, CT, MA), but the CN8 website has the game listed only for their New England network, not their Mid-Atlantic network. I emailed CN8, [www.cn8.tv] but got only an automated thank you. Anybody know for certain if it will be available on CN8 in Philly?

If someone obtains the big dish C/Ku band Satellite coordinates, I have often had success at AJ's Sports bar in Levittown, Bucks County PA, about 1/2 hr up I-95 from Philly.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 10:16AM by nshapiro.

Posted by: KenP (192.133.17.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:09AM

I just spoke to the Syndication Sales, Account Executive at Disney and ESPN Media Networks whose sole responsibility this week is to maximize coverage of all games. She told me that most cable companies don't commit to regional feeds prior to Selection Sunday for obvious reasons. Her advice -- CALL YOUR CABLE COMPANIES AND ASK FOR COVERAGE.

Expect additional clearances to be announced, especially if you pressure the local cable companies.

Date: March 23, 2005 11:13AM

[Q]nshapiro Wrote: For the West Regional final, www.ncaasports.com lists CN8 (NJ, PA, CT, MA), but the CN8 website has the game listed only for their New England network, not their Mid-Atlantic network. I emailed CN8, but got only an automated thank you. Anybody know for certain if it will be available on CN8 in Philly? [/q]
Pleasure meeting you last weekend, Neil. I have bad news here. Reliable brass sources say that CN8 Mid-Atlantic (covering PA, NJ and elsewhere) will NOT be showing the West regional final on Sunday afternoon. However, they said that Comcast cable customers in New England will be able to see the game live on CN8 New England.
[Q] If someone obtains the big dish C/Ku band Satellite coordinates, I have often had success at AJ's Sports bar in Levittown, Bucks County PA, about 1/2 hr up I-95 from Philly. [/q]
CU Athletics has promised to pass on "big dish" (C-band and/or Ku-band) coordinates for Saturday's game later today, if possible. They had hoped to have this information earlier, but haven't found it yet. I'll post it as soon as I get it. If no sports-bar-friendly DirecTV options become available, all Delaware Valley CU fans would be grateful if you'd be able to arrange a live West semifinal viewing opportunity on Saturday using your big dish contacts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 11:16AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: March 23, 2005 11:22AM

Hi Fred...
Charlotte, from altitude sports, wasn't able to guarantee that they would get the alternate feeds. The only way she had of "testing" that was the men's DII b-ball game on channel 657.. if you can get that, *most* likely you would get the game the next day.

Jeremy at cornell sports info was very nice and said that cornell is optimistic that the ncaa would be picking up the game. which all we need one fox regional affiliate. Since the Ohio News Network bought the ohio rights, that leaves out fox sports ohio. Jeremy did caution, that since altitude is picking it up and showing it live, even if it is on one of its alternate feeds, that likely meets the NC$$ criteria for being shown live.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:50AM

[Q]nshapiro Wrote:

For the West Regional final, www.ncaasports.com lists CN8 (NJ, PA, CT, MA), but the CN8 website has the game listed only for their New England network, not their Mid-Atlantic network. I emailed CN8, but got only an automated thank you. Anybody know for certain if it will be available on CN8 in Philly?

If someone obtains the big dish C/Ku band Satellite coordinates, I have often had success at AJ's Sports bar in Levittown, Bucks County PA, about 1/2 hr up I-95 from Philly.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 03/23/05 10:16AM by nshapiro.[/q]

If I'm not mistaken, you can watch CN8 on the web. Thus, those of us who end up without tv coverage might still be able to catch the game, assuming we don't melt their server(s).

affiliate list
Posted by: Petunia LiCicero (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:12PM

Is the regional sports network list finalized?
I looked at the Yes Network's schedule Saturday and the best words I could use to describe it is "filler garbage."
I'm pretty sure they've shown regional NCAA Hockey tournament games in the past.
Is it over?

Re: affiliate list
Date: March 23, 2005 12:25PM

[Q]Petunia LiCicero Wrote: Is it over? [/q]
No, it may not be over yet. Stand by for more info later, PL/RS

Posted by: Petunia LiCicero (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:51PM

OK I just contacted the YES Network.
As much as I would like to see a rerun of a 2004 Yankees-Red Sox regular season game on Saturday, which has probably been rebroadcast 50 or so times, I'd rather see the Cornell hockey.

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:00PM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, you can watch CN8 on the web. Thus, those of us who end up without tv coverage might still be able to catch the game, assuming we don't melt their server(s).[/q]

Yes, but CN8 on the web SUCKS! Quality is horrible. You can barely make out the players, don't even bother trying to see the #s.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 03:33PM

From a central Iowa Big Red fan here, I just noticed on the Cornell release that they list Mediacom as a potential broadcaster of the game. However no channel is listed, nor is there any info about live/tape delay. Anyone know what those extra listings mean? help

Date: March 23, 2005 05:04PM

Hillel, I read your post in response to the No Game at Ship of Fools thread. I have a question for you or anyone else.

Can you explain the part of the Cornell release that says the game will be available residentially but not at bars for gatherings? Does that mean that the Altitude Alternate game could be available in viewing areas for residential subscribers, but blocked for sports bars.

Also, the Cornell site lists Cox-Omaha as a channel covering the game live. Everyone is talking about Altitude Alt. What about Cox-Omaha?

~Josh

Date: March 23, 2005 05:14PM

[Q]Josh 03 Wrote: Can you explain the part of the Cornell release that says the game will be available residentially but not at bars for gatherings? Does that mean that the Altitude Alternate game could be available in viewing areas for residential subscribers, but blocked for sports bars. [/q]
I can't speak for Dish Network's capabilities, but when it comes to watching Saturday's game on DirecTV (the service used by most sports fans and sports bars because of DirecTV's crown jewel, the NFL Ticket), the answer to your question is YEAH KINDA. It appears that only home subscribers to DTV (who pay for "Sports Pack";) are ensured of the ability to get Altitude "alternate" programming (on Ch. 658 that particular night). Sports bars and other commercial venues must order Altitude as a pricey a-la-carte add-on, above and beyond their "Sports Pack" package. That's why it's likely to be a rare find: Not all bars get "Sports Pack," and even fewer are likely to have paid for Altitude a la carte. It's not "blocked," it's just mighty unlikely. And because most sports bar managers are boneheads, it will be hard to find out what they actually are capable of showing.

Date: March 23, 2005 05:18PM

[Q]Josh 03 Wrote: Also, the Cornell site lists Cox-Omaha as a channel covering the game live. Everyone is talking about Altitude Alt. What about Cox-Omaha? [/q]
Cox is a cable company, not a national satellite provider. They must have their own cable sports channel, analogous to Time Warner's Channel 26 in Ithaca. No one's talkin' about cable offerings, because -- unless someone can cough up satellite coordinates for use at a sports bar with a rare "big dish" system -- their programming is not available nationally. Only Omaha area folks, presumably, will be able to watch it.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 05:49PM

I have more good news for Dish Network subscribers. Based on my receiver's programming guide (which gives programming information for 36 hours or so in advance) Channel 447 is broadcasting the D2 basketball games tomorrow at 7 and 9:30 EST. Based on the syndication list on the NCAA sports website, the only possible source for the feed is the Altitude alternate feed.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Dish Network doesn't carry the Altitude alternate feed of the NCAA hockey regionals on channel 445 on Friday and channel 448 on Saturday. The changes in channel number should not be a concern; it's standard practice to have the same station's alternate feed appear on different channels on different days.

Date: March 23, 2005 06:04PM

Right, the only actual concern is that those of us who were planning on gathering at local watering holes, they won't get the Altitude channels (regular or alternate) without specifically paying for those channels. That's not too likely unless you're in Colorado or somewhere with a lot of Colorado fans.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 06:36PM

the big question is still whether time warner cable bought exclusive local rights in NY and those of us with sat's might get an empty screen..

Time Warner Ithaca Schedule does not match--Cornell vs. OSU not listed
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:43PM

[Q]cth95 Wrote:

I e-mailed Time Warner and got some great news back!

Here is the TV schedule for central and northern NY:

Dear Chris –

Fri 3/25 at 5:00 pm NCAA Hockey Men’s Midwest Regional Semifinal #1 – Colorado/Colgate LIVE
8:30 pm NCAA Hockey Men’s Midwest Regional Semifinal #2 – Michigan/Wisconsin LIVE

Sat 3/26 10:00 pm NCAA Hockey Women’s Frozen Four Semifinal – St. Lawrence/Harvard played 3/25
3:30 pm NCAA Men’s Hockey West Regional Semifinal #1 IN PROGRESS Minnesota/Maine

8:30 pm NCAA Men’s Hockey Midwest Regional Final (Delayed from 5pm)

Also, we will carry the West Regional Final Live on Sunday at 3:30pm.

We hope you will enjoy viewing these games.

Have a nice day

[/q]

I actually decided to stay in Ithaca, (instead of spending the Easter weekend with my finacee's family) so that I could watch the Cornell game or games, and lots of other ones. But just now, when I checked the Time Warner programming guide, there were some discrepancies between it, and the information above. Most disturbingly, the Cornell-OSU game is not scheduled to be shown.

The programming guide shows that the following games will be shown:

Friday:
4:30 PM-BC vs. Mercyhurst-Live
8:00 PM-BU vs. North Dakota-Live

Saturday:
3:30 PM-Harvard vs. UNH-Live
8:00 PM-East regional final-Live

Sunday:
12:00 PM-Northeast Regional Final-Live
2:30 PM-West Regional Final-Live

There is no mention of the Colgate-Colorado College game.

The URL I used was:
[www.timewarnercable.com]

I entered 14850 as the zip code, and then looked at Channel 26.

Any ideas?
Andy W.

Re: Time Warner Ithaca Schedule does not match--Cornell vs. OSU not listed
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:05PM

[web.twcny.com]

clearly shows CU v. OSU at 6:00

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:12PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Right, the only actual concern is that those of us who were planning on gathering at local watering holes, they won't get the Altitude channels (regular or alternate) without specifically paying for those channels. That's not too likely unless you're in Colorado or somewhere with a lot of Colorado fans.[/q]

My bar in DC is willing to buy Altitude for the month if we pay for it. That's where I'm confused about the residential/commercial distinction. If the bar buys Altitude for the month, do we think Alt Alternate is available?

Alternate is automatically available w/ residential pacakges, but not at bars?

He also has the ability to get satelite coordinates. So presumably that could be another option once we find the coordinates, yes? Jeremy Hartigan and CU said they would be releasing coordinates when they know them. Do we know these yet?

This is so confusing, but I am feeling a bit optimistic!

Posted by: aznxjz (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:12PM

while we're on the topic of Ithaca....I will be going back early to catch the games, but I was wondering if anyone knew of gatherings at bars for the game. I'd prefer that to watching it with a couple friends at home...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 07:01AM

My on screen schedule of TWCNY also shows the HVD game and not CU. Will need to check this out.

Potential Good News In Atlanta
Posted by: Robert (---.z15-92-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 07:56AM

Last night I met with Bob, the area manager for Jock's and Jill's, a very reputable chain of 8 sports bars here in Atlanta. While I was there, he called his DirectTV representative. The DirectTV rep told Bob that if he purchased a temporary (one month) $45 DirectTV add-on package, that Jock's and Jill's would be able to receive the Altitude Alternate Channel on DirectTV 657 and 658. Bob claimed that the rep actually saw the game on some sort of schedule. I offered to pay for the temporary package, but Bob was so confident of the DirectTV rep that he said the bar would pay for the package. I did show Bob the paragraph from Cornell Athletics concerning commercial establishments and he did not seem concerned.

I'm supposed to "double check" with the unit manager today at 2 PM EST to make sure. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: dbilmes (69.37.79.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 08:53AM

O.K...so just to clarify, the Saturday game is live on DirecTV on Altitude alternate, with the Sunday (hopefully) game live on ESPNU. Both channels are available through the DirecTV SportsPack, which is $12 a month. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: paulspen (132.236.56.---)
Date: March 24, 2005 09:03AM

Didn't DirecTV block Tompkins County from Empire or NESN in 03? Can't remember, but yeah, I'm worried about this too. Would totally suck. worry

Date: March 24, 2005 09:08AM

Robert, yes, the Cornell paragraph is referring to the fact that they would have to pay for the additional package, which they are very unlikely to be doing unless we talk them into it.

dbilmes, yes, that is correct for home DirecTV accounts. The setup is different for commercial DirecTV accounts. Please see the post above yours.

Posted by: Big Red Colonel (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 12:17PM

Hey folks,

I live down in KY and my DirecTV folks have no idea that "alternate" channels even exist. I'm still on the phone trying to make sure that Altitude Alternate will be on Ch 657 or 658, but they simply do not know. Has anyone had confirmation that a feed will show up on one of these channels? I am currently being told that I can only get the alternative feed on a local channel, which means I can't get it in KY.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 01:31PM

[Q]Powderhound Wrote:
365 days of the NFL Network. Who cares how many times Parcells crapped in March, what the hell can you possibly report on?[/q]

amount of corn?

yark

Sorry.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 24, 2005 01:35PM

[Q]Big Red Colonel Wrote:

Hey folks,

I live down in KY and my DirecTV folks have no idea that "alternate" channels even exist. I'm still on the phone trying to make sure that Altitude Alternate will be on Ch 657 or 658, but they simply do not know. Has anyone had confirmation that a feed will show up on one of these channels? I am currently being told that I can only get the alternative feed on a local channel, which means I can't get it in KY.

Thanks,
Mike[/q]
That's typical. As for only local, that's ridiculous. FSN North regularly has the Minnesota feed on 641 for Goofers games and Badgers games on 642 for the alternate Wisconsin feed. Been watching those all seasoin.

Yes, reps tend to know nothing about the RSNa's (Regional Sports Network alternates).

The best thing you can do is test tonight. At 7:30 PM (I believe *MST*), channel 657 should be showing a D-II bball game from an Altitude alternate feed. I will post on here my luck as far as seeing it goes. But if you see that, you should be in very good shape. If you see hockey on 658 tomorrow and Saturday (Harvard game before ours), you should be in excellent shape.

Re: Time Warner Ithaca Schedule does not match--Cornell vs. OSU not listed
Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 01:39PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

I actually decided to stay in Ithaca, so that I could watch the Cornell game or games, (instead of spending the Easter weekend with my finacee's family)

[/q]

Danger Will Robinson. Danger!

:-P

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login