Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Creative Use of Time in Minnesota

Posted by ninian '72 
Creative Use of Time in Minnesota
Posted by: ninian '72 (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:54AM

Once we all calm down about the seeding, it's worth noting that there are worse places to spend a few days than the Twin Cities. A few suggestions for how the Faithful can occupy themselves while they're there:

At the Rink

1. Learn why gray trim on our teamwear is not a good idea.

2. Help the Bucks learn to hate Davy almost as much as they do the Victors.

3. Find creative ways to superimpose the "Angry Bear" over a block red "O."

4. Mess with the Bucks' heads. (It doesn't take much...) Wear maize and blue, and use the older, traditional cheers.

5. Wonder if the Minnesota skating cheerleaders are interested in transferring.

Away from the Rink

1. Visit a supermarket, and marvel at the oil-drum size tins of coffee. (Scandinavian blood types: Colombian and Arabica.) Then order a cup, and wonder if they've given you decaf dishwater by mistake. Learn to really appreciate Starbucks.

2. Go out to dinner. Order walleyed pike, and feast on the best freshwater fish anywhere.

3. Find a Swedish restaurant, and take someone you hate. Suggest they order the head cheese for an appetizer and the lutefisk for the entree. Learn why the Hotel School does not offer a course in Swedish cuisine.

4. Make a side trip to St. Olaf College in Northfield and wonder what laws of nature have been broken for so many gorgeous blue-eyed blondes to be in the same place at the same time.

5. Make another side trip to Cokato or East Sveadal, and see what Lake Wobegon is really like.

6. Ask around about where the Gopher cheerleaders party. From INCH (4/10/03): "The Gophers were short one cheerleader Thursday after an incident at the Chippewa Street watering hole the previous night. A few of the cheerleaders thought it would entertaining to the bar's patrons if they climbed atop the bar and put on a Coyote Ugly-esque show while Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me" blared from the club's sound system. Unfortunately, the routine came to a grinding halt when one of the cheerleaders tumbled from the bar and hit her head on the floor. She left the establishment a little woozy, but under her own power."

Other posters with Minnesota roots, feel free to add on.

Seriously, except for some of the low-lifes who post on USCHO, Minnesotans as a group are among the nicest folks you are likely to meet. E.g., if you do something that really offends or disgusts them, you're likely to hear something on the order of "Well, that was different." Also, count yourselves lucky that the tournament takes place in March. A few months later, and you'd have the pleasure of experiencing the deer flies or the mosquitoes the size of B-52's. (Having all those lakes does have its down side.)

Once your're there, this is arguably the best of the four tournament sites both for the team and for the fans. Enjoy, and LGR!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 10:24AM by ninian '72.

Re: Creative Use of Time in Minnesota
Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:11AM

Still Bored? Try these:
1. Walk around Mariucci before the Gopher game chanting "TECH SCHOOL"
2. The whole time you are here, talk in the quasi-Minnesotan accent found in "Fargo."
3. Ask for a soda. Get confused looks.
4. Want to escape the locals? Go to the Mall of America
5. Go to a small town cafe in the morning to drink coffee with the regulars. Talk about the weather for 3-4 hours.
6. Real fun: Go to a bar and mention how you thank God that Norm Green moved the North Stars down to Dallas, because they inspired McKee to play hockey.
6a. Run away after doing so.
7. Go to a bonfire (Everybody does it)
8. Go to Brainerd/Bemidji, discover the real Minnesota accent.
9. Call into KFAN AM's (1130) PA & Dubay Show (9-Noon) on Friday; talk about how the Gophers are going to lose with Jeff Dubay (get called a moron).
Subnote: This is the ultimate Gopher Hockey rube show

Its too bad that I can't take some people ice fishing (too late in the season). Seriously, I hope you all experience "Minnesota Nice." If you don't let me know and that person will be reported to the state and subsequently arrested. LET'S GO RED!!!!

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:19PM

Or pull a Cornell version of a Tyler Hirsch. Go to a bar and order a Grainbelt Premium beer. After paying, note that there was a special on some other quality beer such as Pabst's. Run around the bar three times while dumping the Premium on your head. Kiss a nordic babe, leave $6 on the bar, and walk out. Have your friends suspend your bar privileges for the rest of the trip.

Minnesota is a decent place, I lived their twice for a total of about 12 years. Plenty of fine steak establishments such as Manny's. Choke down a big piece of red meat, watch hockey, drink beer ......... it's all good.

And I'm wishing Tyler the best if he does have real issues. I'm sssuming for now that he just had a temper tantrum.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:48PM

Lutefisk? You are a very cruel man for suggesting anybody try that. barf

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 01:04PM

ooo, mall of america...
how far is that from downtown?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 01:07PM

About 10 miles. It's right near the airport

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 02:10PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
6. Visit Chippewa Street, and hope the cheerleaders show up this year. From INCH (4/10/03): "The Gophers were short one cheerleader Thursday after an incident at the Chippewa Street watering hole the previous night. .[/q]

Great post, but don't try to find that Chippewa Street this weekend. It's in Buffalo.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:23AM

What was I thinking?? Thanks.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:28AM

My Swedish grandfather cooked this for us once, and that was enough for one lifetime. You have to wonder about anything that turns your fork black. yark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login