Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

complain to CU to get this game on TV

Posted by upperdeck 
complain to CU to get this game on TV
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 08:34PM

Cornell/OSU and the conf heads are the ones to complain to if this game doesnt get on tv for the masses.. its nice of local time warner picks it up but that doesnt help many of us out of the region. instead of pushing to a local fox RSN or cable we should be ringing the phones at the CU athletic office. They have people whose job it is to get these things done.. marketing and Alumini affairs need to know that messing these things up will hit them in the pockets come donation time. it may well end up only those in ithaca or columbus will see this game. CU knows there is a large fan base in NYC.. they should be trying to get YES/MSG/FoxNy to get it on and we all know 6pm on a sat are dead times unless a pro game is on..

Re: complain to CU to get this game on TV
Posted by: Beeeej (68.160.255.---)
Date: March 20, 2005 10:10PM

I can virtually guarantee you that threats of withholding donations will get you absolutely nowhere. Tell them how badly you want to see your team on TV.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:12PM

Whether or not withholding donations would get you anywhere (and I have no reason to argue with Beeeej on this) why woould you? It isn't like Cornel specifically decided to broadcast the games only on Fox Sports Vladivostok and had full decision power over the rights. This is a case where you want the school to try to do something nice for alums and fans. You don't ask someone for a favor while at the same time threatening them.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:28AM

ANother option?

Get the school to get a room and buy the feed for a private party in major cities with big alumni basses _NYC, DC, Boston etc. I'd pay $10 or more to go to a Cornell-rented Room with a feed of the game.

I wonder if that's feasible?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:31AM

That's feasible. Probably contact your local Cornell Club as well.

Also, it can't hurt to write a politely worded letter to ESPN, letting them know that we want them to make sure the game is broadcast on a nationally available station (i.e. not a local cable channels, but regional stations that are nationally carried on DirecTV is fine), since they've chosen not to air that one on ESPNU.

ESPN programming feedback link: [sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:32AM

ESPN will happily broadcast the game on a regional station- if said station PAYS for it!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:41AM

I think the thing to do is ask Cornell which network to target. The CSTV push last weekend shows that we can make an impression. I have hopes for FSNorth, FSOhio, FSNY, MSG, and YES.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:26AM

Hi
I just called cornell sports information and asked what they were doing to make sure the game got picked up by a network accessible via direct tv. The person wasn't sure if he could do anything. I suggested that Cornell get together with OSU and work with one of the Fox regional networks to pick up the game and emphasize the strong fan base that Cornell hockey has across the country who want to see this game.

Cornell's sports information dept phone number is 607-255-5627. I spoke with Eric Lawrence.

Rita

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:34AM

[Q]Rita Wrote:

Hi
I just called cornell sports information and asked what they were doing to make sure the game got picked up by a network accessible via direct tv. The person wasn't sure if he could do anything. I suggested that Cornell get together with OSU and work with one of the Fox regional networks to pick up the game and emphasize the strong fan base that Cornell hockey has across the country who want to see this game.

Cornell's sports information dept phone number is 607-255-5627. I spoke with Eric Lawrence.

Rita[/q]

Considering that all Fox Sports channels are blocked in Time Warner NYC areas, I'd like to suggest pushing for YES.

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.80.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:39AM

its funny to think that the Ath dept doesnt think they can do anything.. they should be doing their job which is to support the team and the univeristy.. Exposure counts if nothing else they should be calling the verious RSNS and ask them the question if they are at least looking into showing the game. sitting around on campus sure isnt going to get anything done.. the call means a lot more coming from the ath dept then it does coming from us.. I dont suppose we have one influention Cornell alum who cares about hockey anywhere in NYC with connections to try and pull some strings.. I know Syracuse does it all the time with ESPN connections..

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:31AM

From USCHO:

--------------------
The NCAA just posted a new link -- basically, ALL 12 games will be televised, and the list of affiliates picking them up will be made public through this link either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning:

[www.ncaasports.com]

It does state "Networks scheduled to air selected regional coverage included: FSN-North, Altitude Sports & Entertainment, C-SET, CN8, FSN-Pittsburgh, Ohio News Network to name a few."

The broadcast teams were also announced -- looks like the NHL guys will FINALLY be getting some work

NCAA MEN'S ICE HOCKEY TV ANNOUCERS
Worcester, MA - March 25-26
Gary Thorne - Play x Play
Bill Clement - Color

Grand Rapids, MI - March 25-26
Eric Frede - Play x Play
Darren Pang - Color

Amherst, MA - March 26-27
Dave Ryan - Play x Play
Barry Melmose - Color (Don't they mean Barry MELROSE??)

Minneapolis, MN - March 26-27
Bob Kurtz - Play x Play
Fred Pletsch - Color

Posted by: bP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:53AM

According to a post on USCHO:

FSN-North will cover the Minneapolis Regional live for Saturday's games, but tape delay for Sunday's final.

No source given, so waiting for the NCAA to confirm the RSN pick up.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:13PM

I wonder if that is due to the women's frozen four final.
that game is scheduled at 4 pm est

st. lawrence-harvard winner vs. minnesota-dartmouth winner.

fyi....according to the uscho website, those games will be available via webcast

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:17PM

Cool - the West final is on ESPNU, so people should be able to pick it up somewhere locally. If that post is correctly, we're all set then. And since its on "the U", I'm not surprised that they wouldn't let another station show it live.

Guess we'll see tomorrow. But I'm not surprised that either FSN North, FSN Ohio, FSN Cincinnati, FSN NY, MSG, or YES would pick it up.

Posted by: upperdeck (128.253.80.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 01:16PM

the question is now what are the blackout rules that they will apply.. i know a few years ago the regional games were on foxny and empire on directv but they were blackout out within the time warner cable areas which is most of upstate ny.. I dont think Fox N is on local cable so I would expect them to ch 26 to pick it up..

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:38PM

[Q]bP Wrote:

According to a post on USCHO:

FSN-North will cover the Minneapolis Regional live for Saturday's games, but tape delay for Sunday's final.

No source given, so waiting for the NCAA to confirm the RSN pick up.[/q]

According to [lists.maine.edu] that's only try for the Minnesota-Maine game; they're showing the Midwest final during the Cornell-OSU game.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login