Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Pep Band to Minnesota

Posted by Lauren '06 
Pep Band to Minnesota
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:08PM

Good morning to everyone else who woke up early for the selection show after an exhilirating drive home,

I am bound and determined to send a 25-person band to Minnesota for the regionals, but we will need help to get there. With the new federal regulations on bus drivers, we wouldn't be able to take a bus unless we add two extra overnight stays--not in the budget. Driving ourselves is dangerous and forbidden by the athletic department and our insurance policy. A train is as expensive as a flight and would take as long as driving. That leaves air travel.

I know there are people on this forum that have been upset in the past that the pep band hasn't been able to make some road trips... Michigan State, RPI/Union, etc. Help us get to Minneapolis now. If 100 people can find it in their hearts to donate $20, we can add that to our budgetted amount for a bus and fund plane tickets. If this interests you, drop me a line at lmf29@cornell.edu.

The band loves this fan base (who else applauds their band during intermission?) and we'll be grateful for anything you can do to help us out. If anybody has any ins or suggestions for inexpensive air travel, those would also be welcomed. :-D

Thank you all for a great season so far,

Lauren Forconi '06
2005 Pep Band Manager

Re: Pep Band to Minnesota
Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:26PM

Lauren-

If the Athletic Department can't find $2,000 dollars to get the band out there and give the team some support, then Andy Noel ought to get his ass fired.

Back in '91, when we had to get out to Ann Arbor, we had no money. After badgering athletics they at least coughed up a grand or so for the bus. We brought 16 or so and it made a really big difference in support even though we lost a bets of three. Remind them of this. Sue Detzer was there, she'll remember.

Make yourselves heard to the administration. Get it in the Sun on Monday. Remind them of the disgrace of the '86 NCAA basketball tournament when they paid for (IIRC) 2 people to be flown to LA for the gam- nice band that made.

It's a nice idea to ask the community for contributions, but have the flippin administration put some dough behind their teams.....

Arik
-bandie 86-91

Date: March 20, 2005 01:03PM

[Q]abmarks Wrote:

Lauren-

If the Athletic Department can't find $2,000 dollars to get the band out there and give the team some support, then Andy Noel ought to get his ass fired.

Back in '91, when we had to get out to Ann Arbor, we had no money. After badgering athletics they at least coughed up a grand or so for the bus. We brought 16 or so and it made a really big difference in support even though we lost a bets of three. Remind them of this. Sue Detzer was there, she'll remember.

Make yourselves heard to the administration. Get it in the Sun on Monday. Remind them of the disgrace of the '86 NCAA basketball tournament when they paid for (IIRC) 2 people to be flown to LA for the gam- nice band that made.

It's a nice idea to ask the community for contributions, but have the flippin administration put some dough behind their teams.....

Arik
-bandie 86-91

[/q]
Haha, you'll forgive me for jumping the gun trying to get this funded. I'm exploring every possible option to get us there. Believe me, the administration will be contacted... just not until tomorrow morning.

Date: March 20, 2005 01:16PM

Make sure to get an Article in Monday's Sun! You can't just make plane reservations at the last minute so you'll need the money fast. And there is nothing like public pressure to move the higher-ups. (Just don't look like the source of the article ;-) )

Any Sun sportswriters reaeding this? There's an article just waiting to be written!

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:19PM

[Q]abmarks Wrote:

Make sure to get an Article in Monday's Sun! You can't just make plane reservations at the last minute so you'll need the money fast. And there is nothing like public pressure to move the higher-ups. (Just don't look like the source of the article )

Any Sun sportswriters reaeding this? There's an article just waiting to be written![/q]

It's spring break, so the Sun is not in regular publication. They could just put an article on the website of course.

Date: March 20, 2005 01:26PM

ouch. well what about the ithaca journal?

I'm in...
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:13PM

I'm in for the last $500 if you can get the first $1500. PM me.:-D

Re: I'm in...
Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:00PM

[Q]TimV Wrote:

I'm in for the last $500 if you can get the first $1500. PM me. [/q]

timv that is cool.

another option is the cornell club. there has to be one in minneapolis right? give them a call too. <-- another option

Posted by: Chief AA Bear (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:31PM

Hi, Lauren,

The Band was so Coooooooool at the Pepsi !!!!!!!!!!! With the Lynah Faithful, you guys and our icers wearing the white homers, I felt like I was 20 and back at Lynah again !!!

Thank you , Thank you for EXCELLENT songs and cheers !!! Loved them !!!

YES!! I'm so P.O.'ed at not being able to see McKee and the guys in the regionals that I think it is IMPERATIVE to get the Band to MN. (especially if maine fails to stop the Goophers and the stands are packed with 95% gopher fans the next day (saw that at the Centrum with Worcester three seasons ago - the entire state of New Hampshire was there for UNH.

BANDies, I hereby pledge $100.00 for your travel efforts and challenge all the folks on the board to cough up at least the $20/ ea. if you aren't going to MN.

Lauren, tell us where the checks can be sent or CC info taken.

THANKS !!! and Let's go to MN, BIG RED Bandies !!!!!!!!!!

--Da Bear (fired up with NCAA selection fury)

Date: March 21, 2005 12:09AM

Way to go Da Bear and TimV!

Lauren- maybe you should start a new thread so people will see this idea - something like "Need Donations so Pep Band can get to Minny"? (I'd give but long term unemployment doesn't help the finances...)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:10AM

My girlfriend and I will each pledge a decent amount, which has been PMed, should the band not be able to find funds from the more official places. If you need help, I think you'll find the people on eLF very willing to help out.

Date: March 21, 2005 12:34AM

Another idea for the Band- contact the head of the boosters. Is it called the CHA or something? Whatever their name is, they might have money, or send an email to membership, or perhaps even call athletics on your behalf.

Posted by: Sprout (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:44AM

Kudos to those on the ELF who have stepped up so far. IMHO, the Cornell Athletic Department has blown other such opportunities. I should know - I was one of the two people Arik mentioned who was sent to LA in 1986 to conduct an alumni Pep Band put together at the last minute. No offense to these brave folks, but many of them hadn’t played their instruments in years. Thank god we were on after midnight EST. Ironic to be reading the Forum tonight - as I was watching March Madness today, I was recounting the story to my wife and found the anger returning. I hope the Athletic Department does the right thing. Lauren – if they don’t, I’ll contribute.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:59AM

Too bad Wisconsin isn't playing in the East. Then you could take their place in Amherst/Worcester and they yours in Minneapolis. They're spirited, sassy, wear red, and probably know Davy already (and you know On Wisconsin). Save money all around with outscourcing.

But seriously: If you think you really could make it to MSP with some fan / alumni contributions, you deserve our support.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 21, 2005 01:10AM

I emailed Lauren privately with my donation info - just wanted to post here to encourage others to do so as well. If I can't be in MN, the Big Red Pep Band can be my proxy any day!

Re: Pep Band to Minnesota - where to send money?
Date: March 21, 2005 08:32AM

What's the address for sending money, payable to whom? And is there an electronic way eg PayPal?

Posted by: bloomicy (207.41.92.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:26PM

We've got a bunch of folks from Section C who I'm SURE will be willing to pitch in... has anyone written up something I can send out with the band's current status and needs?

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: March 21, 2005 02:35PM

Here's a suggestion for cheap travel for the band (or anyone else).

Greyhound from Syracuse = $218 per peson, roundtrip.

The full price fare is $292. They offer a companion fare (1/2 off second ticket bought 3 days in advance. That works out to $218 per person, traveling in pairs. Must purcahse the tickets BY TUESDAY MORNING AT 10:30 AM to get the fare.

Leave Syracuse Friday at 10:30 am. Arrive Minneapolis Saturday at 9:00 am. Duration: 23 1/2 hours.

Leave Minneapolis Sunday at 10:10 pm. Arrive Syracuse Tuesday at 12:45 am. Duration: 25 1/2 hours.

Date: March 21, 2005 03:45PM

Updated information: I took the grand tour of the athletics department today to get our travel settled. The band will not be able to fly out to Minneapolis because this late in the game there are no flights that will accommodate 25 band members, so we will have to take a bus. The bus will still run us over $6000 and that doesn't include other travel costs like hotel. If you would like to rescind your offer to donate, by all means feel free to do so. If you would still like to help us out in getting to Minneapolis:

Checks payable to Cornell University, mailed to

Big Red Pep Band
Teagle Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853

Paypal to pepband@cornell.edu -- but I feel I should let you know that Paypal takes a small percentage if you pay by credit card (they do not if you use your bank account number). I personally do not complain at all about losing the cut, but that may not be where you want your money to go.

I really want to thank everybody again for their enthusiastic support. It's looking more and more certain that we'll be able to make it out west.

-Lauren Forconi
2005 Pep Band Manager

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:50PM

I don't know if this is allowed or not, but could you "sell" empty seats on the bus to others who want to make the trip? I think you mentioned wanting to get a pep band of 25 there. For argument's sake, if you actually took 30-35, that should still leave a good number of seats available on the bus. If you sold those seats for $100 or $150, you could defray a significant amount of the cost.

Anyway...just an idea.
Andy W.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2005 03:50PM by andyw2100.

Date: March 21, 2005 03:57PM

Is athletics giving you any of the $6k, or do you really need it all from us?

And is this tax deductible? ;) screwy

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 05:44PM

All donations to the Big Red Pep Band are tax deductible.

There were funds allocated from the band's sources (alumni gifts and SAFC funds, generally speaking) for possible playoffs. While the band tries to anticipate something more expensive than the best (ie. cheapest) possible scenarios, Minneapolis is, I believe the WORST possible scenario (fiscally speaking; I'll leave the bitching about seeding to others). Any and all help is appreciated.

Just thought I'd respond so Lauren can spend her time getting the band to the Midwest!

- Lowell, BRB alumni association treasurer

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:00PM

Hi Lauren...
Since I cannot make it to minnesota, I will put a $20.00 check in the mail on Tuesday to help with the trip.

Let's go red!!!

Rita

ps.. let me know if you start a "Pep band to estero" road trip fund. It would be nice if the band could go to the everblades tourney, even if it once every 3-4 yrs.

Date: March 21, 2005 07:39PM

[Q]Rita Wrote:

Hi Lauren...
Since I cannot make it to minnesota, I will put a $20.00 check in the mail on Tuesday to help with the trip.

Let's go red!!!

Rita

ps.. let me know if you start a "Pep band to estero" road trip fund. It would be nice if the band could go to the everblades tourney, even if it once every 3-4 yrs. [/q]
I'm always down there for the Florida tournament, and I'd love to take the band one year... maybe next year I'll bring my trombone, and then I can be just like that obnoxious Clarkson trumpet guy. :-D

The problem with getting a full band to Florida isn't so much cost (although that is a factor) as it is the timing of it. I'm fortunate to have so many people volunteer their Easter the one time it falls on spring break, because everybody's going nuts about the chance to play for the team at an NCAA regional so far away--tearing people away from their families during the holiday week between Christmas and New Year's is even tougher, particularly since people are scattered in all directions. I'll start a personnel drive first, then we'll worry about the funding drive. Some day it will happen.

Date: March 21, 2005 11:23PM

That's great !

I'll up my contro to $150. Hope that helps get the best damn pep Band in the WORLD out to help our Red drive to victory !

I'm lovin the outpouring of support on this board !!!!

(Thta's a great idea about selling the extra seats on the bus to defray costs. I can't see how (logically) that could be frowned on.

Chances are, the local Cornell Club can only help a little, unless it's got a pretty big membership. They shoould be reaching out to help with the team anyway.

[/b]Letttts Goooooooooooooooooo REDdddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!![/b]

-- dahhhhhhhhh Bear

Posted by: sockralex (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:35PM

I like the sell extra seats idea. I would probably take that up if it were offered considering there is no other way I can get myself to MN for the games. As long as the price is reasonable.

Date: March 21, 2005 11:43PM

Lauren, or anyone else in the pep band...

I'm sure all us donaters would love an update when you have the time and feel its appropriate, as to how close to the goal you are and whether you guys will be able to make it. Im sure if its looking iffy some of us can try to reach deeper. If you feel that's private or are just too busy to update us, I certainly understand and respect that.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:55PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Lauren, or anyone else in the pep band...

I'm sure all us donaters would love an update when you have the time and feel its appropriate, as to how close to the goal you are and whether you guys will be able to make it. Im sure if its looking iffy some of us can try to reach deeper. If you feel that's private or are just too busy to update us, I certainly understand and respect that.[/q]

When does the money need to be in Ithaca? A check takes time to get there and to clear, but I'd rather you have the full amount of my donation (i.e. avoid losing the PayPal costs). If you need the money say by Wednesday, then I guess I'll go the PayPal route.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 12:32AM

Just donated $20 via paypal, would also suggest making a thread on the USCHO board.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:48AM

Even a skeleton band would make a big impression in Estero. If nothing else, you could play Davy after goals instead of the arena staff piping in the wrong song.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: pat (---.er.usgs.gov)
Date: March 22, 2005 09:55AM

The bands alumni association will make sure the Pep Band will be in Minnesota, and we are exploring a number of funding options. Donations are (and aren't they always?) appreciated greatly!

If you do want to donate and you want it to be tax-deductible, the donation needs to be made to the university. Either mailing a check to the address above, or online at [www.alumni.cornell.edu] (specify the Big Red Pep Band, Fund #622808 in the comments section).

If you send your donation via PayPal, we can't guarantee that we can get you credit with the university for the gift (although we'll try). On the bright side, however, you won't be condemned to a lifetime of receiving Band Notes. If you have already and want the credit, let me know.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:37AM

[Q]pat Wrote:
If you send your donation via PayPal, we can't guarantee that we can get you credit with the university for the gift (although we'll try). On the bright side, however, you won't be condemned to a lifetime of receiving Band Notes. If you have already and want the credit, let me know.
[/q]

Well, for the very first time, I donated money to Cornell. At least it's for a good cause. Good luck, everyone: if Cornell survives this weekend, I'll be in Columbus the following week.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:41AM

[Q]krose Wrote:
Well, for the very first time, I donated money to Cornell. At least it's for a good cause. Good luck, everyone: if Cornell survives this weekend, I'll be in Columbus the following week.

Cheers,
Kyle[/q]
Sure will be lonely in Columbus next week ;)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 10:42AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Sure will be lonely in Columbus next week [/q]

Har, har, har. You know what I mean. :)

Kyle

Posted by: mscheffer (65.223.155.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 11:53AM

I just donated through the alumni site. The best thing about this is that I could also get my company to match the donation! Just an FYI to anyone thinking of donating.

Date: March 22, 2005 02:55PM

Pat-

HOw about an email tho the BRBAA list? I'm sure a number of those people would donate if only they knew about the issue....

Arik

Update
Posted by: Mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:46PM

Please whoever is in charge of this keep giving us updates on how close we are to reaching our goal. Because if we only need x amount, people will be willing to pay the extra dollar.

Re: Update
Date: March 22, 2005 04:10PM

[Q]Mike Wrote:

Please whoever is in charge of this keep giving us updates on how close we are to reaching our goal. Because if we only need x amount, people will be willing to pay the extra dollar.[/q]
There's $500 in the paypal account right now and checks in my hand for another $100. I don't know how much has been donated through the alumni site that Pat supplied. Probably another $1,000 in the mail. Working on getting an actual pledge total as I type this.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:10PM

Will money going to the Alumni site increase the amount that the Pep Band actually gets or will it just be counted toward the Pep Band's fix allotment from the CU budget? In other words, is the Pep Band better off if we go though the Paypal account rather than the Alumni site?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:32PM

Whoever noted the matching corporate funds part got my attention. My donation is in. I was glad to stick it to Air Products while helping the Pep Band.

Date: March 23, 2005 01:24AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Will money going to the Alumni site increase the amount that the Pep Band actually gets or will it just be counted toward the Pep Band's fix allotment from the CU budget? In other words, is the Pep Band better off if we go though the Paypal account rather than the Alumni site?[/q]

Unless things have changed since I handled the marching band's money (and I doubt it) any money directed to a given organization goes to it. This money has no ties to any funds that may have been *allotted*. Or, more simply, the more you give, the more they get.

Arik

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:45AM

fyi - the ticket office thinks the band is going. maybe only because they had tickets allotted. keep us updated
LGR
dave '02

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:54AM

[Q]dadeo Wrote:

fyi - the ticket office thinks the band is going. maybe only because they had tickets allotted. keep us updated
LGR
dave '02[/q]

As far as I can tell from my email, they are.

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 10:06AM

thats what my email says... jordan, you going?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 12:18PM by gatitita '05.

Posted by: dargason (---.155.212.219.conversent.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:27PM

bump...

still a pretty important thread.

BTW, any updates, Lauren?

Date: March 24, 2005 07:41PM

Just going through paypal donations, pledges in my email, and pledges in my private messages on eLF... we've raised over $3100. Wow. That's not even counting pledges in this thread and people who donated to the alumni site without announcing themselves. THANK YOU again to everybody who donated--and I'll be going through all my mail to respond to each in kind as soon as I finish writing this--and special thanks to everyone who went out of their way to rally other people to the cause.

I'll also be hitting up the Office of the Assemblies for emergency reimbursements... when they re-open on Monday.

The rink staff are putting us at the top of section 2 with all the rest of the Cornell group... good for solidarity, but I apologize in advance if we wound you trying to play our hearts out in Mariucci. At least you won't have to crane your neck to try to see the game over the tuba. :-D

Thanks again, and we'll see you in Minnesota! LGR!

-Lauren Forconi '06
2005 Pep Band Manager

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2005 08:24PM

ok everybody - drink your herbal tea and give up speaking on friday so our 300 can sound like 1000 :)

Posted by: cth95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 09:32AM

That's great to hear. I have been to a couple of away games when the band was not there, and it is just not the same. I am totally psyched that you guys are going and will be looking forward to seeing and hearing you on TV.
LET'S GO REEEEEDDDDD!!!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 02:07PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:The rink staff are putting us at the top of section 2 with all the rest of the Cornell group... good for solidarity, but I apologize in advance if we wound you trying to play our hearts out in Mariucci. At least you won't have to crane your neck to try to see the game over the tuba.
-Lauren Forconi '06
2005 Pep Band Manager[/q]All easier for candy. That is assuming I can get it into the rink.
:-P

Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 04:53PM

Bump....

At least we didn't have to ask my old high school band to be the Big Red Pep Band this weekend. Mercyhurst is using the Shrewsbury HS band as their pep band. Good for the high schoolers, shame on Mercyhurst for not having a pep band... uhoh

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 05:59PM

[Q]ajec1 Wrote:

shame on Mercyhurst for not having a pep band...[/q]

Dude, look up Mercyhurst and their athletic program...not exactly a Minnesota....or a Cornell...or a Colgate! It's helping them put up a fight apparently so good for them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2005 06:01PM by atb9.

Date: March 25, 2005 11:02PM

Cornell Bandies in MN!!!!!!!!

I'm LOVIN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

My check for 150 went out on Wed.

Thanks Bandies!!!!! I'm hopin to see you guys featured on the TV broadcast (if the Dish Gods have mercy & cooperate)........... playing our icers to the big "V" !! (in both rounds)

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy To GO BIG RED HOCKEY & BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

-- Dah Baer in the air

Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: March 25, 2005 11:16PM

Good call, on second thought, at least they went out of their way to find a band. Some "bastions" of college hockey excellence (Denver, CC) do not have, nor do they want a band. That is the true shame. Again, good for the high schoolers who were there and playing on the bigger stage. They really seemed to help the team, and definitely made for a good side story.

Date: March 26, 2005 09:54AM

Mercyhurst and mercenary starts and ends the same way.

At least Mercyhurst had the smarts to find somebody to play the music.

Posted by: Denison 71 (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 10:03AM

Lauren Forconi '06

Please update us on the amount received plus the amount pledged so we can close the gap.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2005 10:36AM

FYI- Lauren and co. are already on the road, so you probably won't be getting an update from them for a while. Talked to them during the third periods of yesterday's first games, and everything seemed to be going as planned (they had made it as far as...well...they didn't mention a town name, instead indicating they were somewhere around "that town something something josh herman something something hot tub something something ohio state trip." uh...yeah).

Posted by: Josh '99 (63.85.108.---)
Date: March 26, 2005 11:54AM

[Q]Jacob 03 Wrote:
FYI- Lauren and co. are already on the road, so you probably won't be getting an update from them for a while. Talked to them during the third periods of yesterday's first games, and everything seemed to be going as planned (they had made it as far as...well...they didn't mention a town name, instead indicating they were somewhere around "that town something something josh herman something something hot tub something something ohio state trip." uh...yeah). [/q]I didn't go anywhere near that hot tub.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login