Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

how in bloody heck to get to MN

Posted by dadeo 
how in bloody heck to get to MN
Posted by: dadeo (63.164.145.---)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:58AM

Please somebody tell me that we Cornell fans are going to get some group discount rate on flights and whatnot?
How are you all getting there? (for those who are going to go)
HELP!
dave '02

Re: how in bloody heck to get to MN
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:59AM

How long does it take to drive? Anyone gonna do it?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:00PM

I just booked my flight...I'm coming from LA though. Better question - how do I get a ticket? Anyone know where the Cornell section will be?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:01PM

Probably drive, if I get tickets and no cheaper rates. If we work out carpools, it's not so bad. 1100 or so miles:-P

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)

dave where are u leaving from?

some options:
1. drive. mapquest is great for directions.
2. fly. some airlines to consider depending on your origin. independence air, southwest airlines, jetblue... i am sure i forgot some other... oh, ata is another. :)
3. trains - expensive for sure. not good access to all areas...

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)

Best I can do is a first class frequent flyer ticket.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:03PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

I just booked my flight...I'm coming from LA though. Better question - how do I get a ticket? Anyone know where the Cornell section will be?[/q]

I just spoke to a NoDak fan who has two seats and would like to sell them together.

I'm travelling solo. If you are too, let's go in together.

JH

Date: March 20, 2005 12:04PM

looks like southwest flies into minne. also flies into chicago. so u can get a flight to ohare on another airline and then go to minne on southwest if u cant ride southwest the whole way.

if u get airline tix get them EARLY

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

carpooling?

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Assuming I can get a ticket from Cornell, I'm flying out using my dad's seemingly endless supply of frequent flyer miles.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:06PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Assuming I can get a ticket from Cornell[/q]
Cornell has an airport?!?!

I assume you meant from Ithaca? :-P

Look on EBay. Expensive but they are available there.

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)

I want to book airfare, but need 2 tickets. Any leads?

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

I meant a ticket to the game.

Date: March 20, 2005 12:08PM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

looks like southwest flies into minne. also flies into chicago. so u can get a flight to ohare on another airline and then go to minne on southwest if u cant ride southwest the whole way.

[/q]
Southwest doesn't fly direct from Chi. to Minn.

Posted by: Robin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:09PM

Indeed, was just about to make that same comment. No southwest from Chi to Minn.
southwest does fly from Long Island to Minne, but it is expensive right now. :( Easter weekend....

Date: March 20, 2005 12:10PM

looks like southwest does not connect minne to any of the minor airports in the northeast.
phili, pitt, manchester, islip, cleveland and baltimore do connect. albany and buffalo dont.

independence air doesnt fly to minne as i said above.
neither does jet blue.

note that ata flies to minne and i *think* they are now partnered with one of the other airlines above...cant remember which one. good luck!

Date: March 20, 2005 12:10PM

Maybe Cornell will charter a jet for fans.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:16PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

How long does it take to drive? Anyone gonna do it?[/q]

Yeah I'm gonna do it. However, I live about 3 hours south in central Iowa. And the REALLY bad part is I have my PhD qualifying exams on the same day, (8am-515pm), so there's no way I'd make the 1st round game.

Date: March 20, 2005 01:33PM

OK, for those of you in the NY metro area, or like me within decent driving distance, the best airfare you're likely to find is on ATA. I just booked a ticket from LGA leaving 6 AM Friday returning Monday afternoon for $293. Newark to MSP, is about $35 more.

FYI, while Southwest does not fly into MSP, they are partnered with ATA.

I looked at Philly, Newark, LaGuardia, Allentown, Harrisburg, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for outbound. I looked at flying into Duluth, LaCrosse, WI, and Mason City, IA. I also tried combining two individual roundtrips (one on ATA and one on SWA) connecting at Midway, with even the possibility of staying Friday night in Chicago.

As a side note, both USAir and United are sold out on "regular price" frequent flyer flights into MSP. You want to use mileage, you're paying double or flying first class.

One last comment. The last flights out of MSP that get back to the east coast on Sunday leave at about 7 PM. With a 2:30 start on Sunday's game, that's just a little too close to cut it.

Now all I need is a seat at the Mooch.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:36PM

As someone, I think Age, noted, Ithaca->Philly->Minneapolis on USAirways is $1100+.

We're two months too early. In May Northwest starts flying out of Ithaca and it'll be Ithaca->Detroit->Minneapolis for a few hundred dollars. (Thank you, Larry '72, for your work on that!)

Take a look at flying out of Syracuse. There's one non-stop to Minneapolis and a bunch of connections. Or Binghamton via Detroit. They're not cheap flights, but they exist. Elmira is just as pricey as Ithaca.

Date: March 20, 2005 01:45PM

Unfortunately, I don't think it's the starting point that's pushing up the fares, it the destination. Getting out of MSP is no challenge (imagine that), and getting there on Wednesday is not that bad, but flights arriving in MSP in time for the tournament are just plain booked up.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:55PM

After playing on ATA's site, its through the nose to fly on Sat/Sun, but per Jeff's post above, if you can take the 6am on Friday and return on Monday you are back around $300.

Minny is also a northwest hub, so if you aren't in a heavily northwest-gated city, you'll have higher fares too

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:59PM

Anybody know what the ticket/scalping/USCHO sales situation might be like this week?

With only 9,000 seats and Minnesota in the regional, I'm thinking tickets may be harder to come by than transportation, no?

Posted by: Lilsilver96 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 02:01PM

cry i'm really bumbed that there are no more tickets.

Date: March 20, 2005 02:06PM

I spoke to a UND fan who was selling two on USCHO. His experience from previous regionals at Mariucci, was that there'd be plenty of seats available on the street for all games. Of course once somebody loses on Saturday, there should be even more.

That's why I took the risk and bought the plane ticket without a seat. That said, I'll be working hard to get a confirmed game ticket before I leave.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 02:08PM

Here's some info on game tickets:

[www.gophersports.com]

Date: March 20, 2005 02:14PM

That is exceptionally good news.

You'd have to imagine that there wouldn't be a large demand for standing room for our game from the locals, nor will there be many butts in the seats

Date: March 20, 2005 02:19PM

I'll be calling the Cornell box office early tomorrow morning, but since they may be handling walk up traffic before phone calls, is there anyone heading there early tomorrow morning who could pick up 2 sets for me? I've just booked my flights, so now I really need tickets. Private message me if you can help and we'll figure out how to coordinate by telephone. Thanks.

Date: March 20, 2005 02:31PM

Is anyone else crazy enough to make the drive from (or through) Ithaca to Minneapolis?

Date: March 20, 2005 03:03PM

Does anyone have Mary Tyler Moore's phone number?

"We're gonna make it after all..."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:15PM

[Q]Chris 02 Wrote:
Here's some info on game tickets:[/q]I stopped reading that article as soon as it said "earns" in describing how Minnesota got their 1 seed. screwy

Driving to MN
Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:23PM

Here is the info on the drive from Ithaca to MN. I have done this 4 times or so, and it averages about 17 hours from Ithaca to my house (a little less than an hour north of the Twin Cities metro area). It is an extremely easy drive, although it could not get any more boring (If you drive you will find out why I hate Wisconsin so much). Chicago is the worst part, as it adds at least an hour or 2. To those going to attempt it I wish you luck, I have done without stopping for the night (driving alone) only once, and I doubt I would do it again. As for me, I am already in said house :-D, and hoping that the band can get here help (and more importantly, get me back to Ithaca after!) worry

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:25PM

I may drive from Syracuse; especially since you can't fly out till Monday AM. I also would like any help in getting tix from Ithaca. Private Message or jfh24@cornell.edu . Thanks.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 07:15PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

cornelldavy Wrote:

I just booked my flight...I'm coming from LA though. Better question - how do I get a ticket? Anyone know where the Cornell section will be?[/Q]
I just spoke to a NoDak fan who has two seats and would like to sell them together.

I'm travelling solo. If you are too, let's go in together.

JH[/q]

sorry...meeting someone in Minn., so I need two...but thanks for the heads up

Posted by: underskill (---.N1.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Date: March 20, 2005 07:15PM

Try this, the prices are relatively cheap [cybersavers.lastminute-packages.com]

Date: March 20, 2005 07:28PM

Is there anyone who needs tickets and a ride? Might have a solution for you.

Posted by: jaybert (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 07:49PM

[Q]underskill Wrote:

Try this, the prices are relatively cheap [/q]

hey man, thanks for that link. bummer that you have to leave thursday and return on monday.

I am down in Florida on co-op currently..gotta find a way to get out of 3 days of work/getting them to let me work remotely. The link has really cheap tickets though, it was $460 for roundtrip (direct, no layovers), from Ft. Lauderdale to Minnesota.

Anyone know which hotel on the list is closest to the arena? A hotel that had wireless internet/broadband would be a must as well so that I could work from my room. I'm going to talk to my boss tomorrow and see if I can work something out.

Date: March 20, 2005 08:52PM

I need tickets, but have a flight.

What you got?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:47PM

[Q]underskill Wrote:
Try this, the prices are relatively cheap [/q]Very much seconded. Some great packages on there, flight + hotel + rental car, in the $350 range.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 03:34AM

What's the minimum age to rent a car in Minnesota?

Posted by: jy3 (161.136.210.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:22AM

from hertz.com

Age Restrictions and Exceptions

On most rentals, the minimum rental age is 25 years old.

EXCEPTIONS

Corporate Accounts

Various corporate accounts have agreements with Hertz which permit employees of those companies, between the ages of 21-24, to rent for business purposes. Renters must present a valid Corporate Identification Card at the time of rental and additional fees may apply. Please contact your company travel department to verify age exceptions when renting for business purposes.

Michigan

For ages 18-21 - Hertz will rent to customers between the ages of 18-21 years at all corporate locations in the State of Michigan. In addition to the base rental rate, an Underage Liabilty Charge of USD 41.00 per day will be assessed on rentals to this age group.
For ages 22-24 - Hertz will rent to customers between the ages of 22-24 years at all corporate locations in the State of Michigan. In addition to the base rental rate, an Underage Liability Charge of USD 17.00 per day will be assessed on rentals to this age group.

Renters must possess a valid driver's license, provide an acceptable form of payment and be subject to driver's license verification or complete a driving record certification. For details on this verification, refer to the policy information for Driver's License.

Advance reservations are required and reservations may not be confirmed via the Internet. Please contact the reservatons office nearest you - see How to Reach Us.

New York

For ages 18-24 - In 1997, the New York Court of Appeals ruled that car rental companies cannot refuse to rent to persons 18 years of age or older in the State of New York solely on the basis of age, provided that insurance coverage for persons of such age is available. The Court found that insurance had become "available" through the New York Automobile Insurance Plan (i.e., the "Assigned Risk" Plan.) At corporate locations in the State of New York, Hertz now makes available to the 18-24 age group, a number of specific vehicles for which insurance has been purchased. The rental charges for these vehicles will include a New York Underage Insurance Differential charge (currently USD 51.00 per day) that will automatically be added to the base rental rate at time of reservation.

Renters must possess a valid driver's license, provide an acceptable form of payment and be subject to a driver's license verification or complete a driving record certification. For details on this verification and certification, refer to the section titled Driver's License.

Advance reservations are required and reservations may not be confirmed via the Internet. Please contact the reservations office nearest you - see How to Reach Us

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:14AM

from Dollar:
[q]1.1 Driving Age: The minimum age to rent a DOLLAR® vehicle at most DOLLAR locations in the United States is 21 years of age; however, drivers 21 to 24 years of age must pay an additional charge, which varies by DOLLAR location. Please refer to the Local Policies for specific information on driver ages at the DOLLAR location where you intend to rent a DOLLAR vehicle and the applicable charge for drivers 21 to 24 years of age.[/q]

flight search tool
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:54AM

[beta.itasoftware.com]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Tickets
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:27AM

The CU ticket office is taking orders right now, by the way.
burnout

Re: Driving to MN
Posted by: dadeo (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:56PM

the BAND is going, isnt it?!

Re: Driving to MN
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:58PM

There's a whole thread about this...
[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: March 21, 2005 02:37PM

I checked out what the specs would be for traveling Greyhound from Ithaca to Minny. It's $218 roundtrip, and each way is about a 24 hour trip. See the Pep Band thread for more info.

Getting to Minnesota
Posted by: Mark Wang (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 06:42PM

Hey anyone going from Ithaca to Minnesota? I would love to tag along. I'll help split the gas or something.

Date: March 21, 2005 06:45PM

Hey i go to cornell and i see that you have an ithaca email address...wondering if u wanted to drive and ill share the gas price or something?

Date: March 21, 2005 06:53PM

need a ride

Posted by: Stephen Turner (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:47PM

anyone want to share a package on NWA from NYC? Only $300-350 including air, hotel, car rental.

Ithaca-Minneapolis Caravan
Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.tnt1.harrisburg.pa.da.uu.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 12:46PM

Hey there everyone,

I called the Cornell box office today and bought my ticket to the games, but it looks like those that were going to come with me have found reasons to not go now. As far as travel goes, I plan on returning to Ithaca on Thursday and leaving from there. If I end up driving still, I'd like to have 3 passengers to help with the travel costs. Otherwise I am seeking a ride to Minny with someone leaving from Ithaca. If anyone is seeking a ride there, let me know as I am glad to help any fans out.

LET'S GO RED!!! B-]

- Ryan '05

UPDATE: My car is now full. Alex, Jacob, and Mike Ack, I'll see you guys sometime tomorrow to get our plans all squared away.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 07:50PM by that loud guy with the hair.

Posted by: Janos (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:06PM

did anyone ask where the seats are located?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2005 01:14PM by Janos.

Date: March 22, 2005 01:11PM

Speaking of which, I'm going to go pick those up now.

Posted by: dadeo (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 02:07PM

Cornell seats are in SECTION 2 (rows 5-13 sold already)

Woe is me ...
Posted by: Big Red Colonel (65.82.118.---)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:31PM

Stinks that the game is so late on Sunday (if we are fortunate enough to make it). I need to find a way back to Kentucky (sad, I know) in time for class on Monday morning and simply can't do it. Breaks my heart to not be able to get to the games.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:38PM

can someone who has made the drive to minny give some directions here?

i have heard from virtually everyone that you go through chicago.

my girlfriend from chicago says the best way to get to chicago is to go through PA and avoid buffalo at all costs, which can save you at least an hour. aside from that, i've got nothing. any road-tested warriors out there wanna post some more specific directions?

-mike

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:10PM

[Q]underskill Wrote:

Try this... [/q]

Thank you...great deals flying out of Rochester. We're in.

Posted by: underskill (---.nash01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 06:12PM

The link came from a Gophers fan ironically

Date: March 22, 2005 11:54PM

[q] can someone who has made the drive to minny give some directions here?[/q]

Don't follow Mapquest. I disagree with their suggestions at several points.

From Ithaca head southwest on NY-13 (Elmira Road).
IN teh neighborhood of Horseheads/Elmira, pick up NY-17 west toward Corning and Jamestown. Pretty soon that turns into I-86, which you follow across the Southern Tier into Pennsylvania.

At Lake Erie I-86 tees into I-90. Take I-90 west (toward Erie and Cleveland).

Follow I-90 to Tomah, Wisconsin, where I-94 splits off to take you to Minneapolis. (I-94 joined I-90 back in Madison.)

---

You have two major alternates to sticking with I-90 straight through, depending on whether or not you want to go through the middle of Cleveland and Chicago.

For Cleveland we usually just stick with I-90 through the middle. At rush hour you might want to circle the town, following the Mapquest directions. For that route you go south on I-271 a bit east of Cleveland, then head west on US-422 to I-480, which joins up with I-90 west of town.

The approach to Chicago also depends on the time of day. In the middle of the night, I-90 straight through might be the best choice. To go around the city itself (but through densely built suburbs), take the exit for I-80 west (toward Iowa) while you are still in Indiana. It comes shortly after the in-line toll plaza. Then take I-294 (toward Wisconsin) where it spilts from I-80. (Stay left approaching the interchange where first I-94 splits off, then second where I-294 exits). When you get to I-290, take it west (toward Rockford). Eventually it rejoins I-90 (toward Rockford), and takes you to Minneapolis. If you take the circle route, the worst part of the whole trip will be the stretch of I-80 south of Chicago.

You will need in the neighborhood of $5 in cash for tolls in each of three states. Ohio and Indiana are easy - you get a ticket when you get on the tollway (west of Cleveland in Ohio, just across the border in Indiana) and hand it in when you get off, paying what is due. In Illinois you stop every ten miles or so and pay varying sums, usually $0.80 for the out-of-staters without and I-Pass transponder. You can toss the correct change into a basket or stop at a booth with a person; the former isn't always faster.

--

Services:

Watch your fuel level in western New York. The gas stations are far apart and sometimes well away from the Interstate.

In Pennsylvania and the eastern bit of Ohio, most of the interchanges have gas and food. On the Ohio and Indiana tollways there is a service plaza every half our or so with gas and food, with the variety depending on the time of day. Around Chicago there are "oases" with gas periodically spaced; some have been recently rebuilt and have a variety of food, others are under reconstruction and have minimal edibles. In Wisconsin you return to finding gas stations at many exits, some with a cluster of fast food outlets.

--
A major alternate is take NY-96 up to the NY Tollway (I-90), cross into Ontario at Buffalo, follow route 401 across to Detriot, and take I-94 to where it intersects I-80/I-90 in western Indiana. You avoid Cleveland, but add Buffalo, Detroit, and two border crossings. Unless you have a burning desire to set foot on sacred Canadian soil or to see Niagara Falls, I wouldn't advise it. In the summer, with some extra time and money, you can take a ferry across Lake Michigan and avoid Chicago all together, but that's not even an option at this time of year.

Date: March 23, 2005 01:44AM

[Q]David Harding Wrote:
From Ithaca head southwest on NY-13 (Elmira Road).
IN teh neighborhood of Horseheads/Elmira, pick up NY-17 west toward Corning and Jamestown. [/q]When you're at that interchange, be sure to follow signs for Corning and Horseheads, not for Elmira (which will put you on 17 east). No sense making a long turn less than an hour into the trip. Enjoy the traffic lights when you're going through Horseheads, because they may be the last you have to stop at for hours. And be sure to wave to my old job when you're driving past the Corning-Elmira Airport. :-) (Why couldn't the regional be in Elmira? I'd have all kinds of good advice to give you all then! ;-))

Date: March 23, 2005 01:49AM

Or in the San Francisco Bay Area...I'd be able to you all sorts of good stuff on 580, 680, 880, 101, 280, the bridges...we practically drive on the left side of the road out there.

Posted by: that loud guy with the hair (---.tnt1.harrisburg.pa.da.uu.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 02:03AM

Those directions seem pretty logical to me. It doesn't really seem to make sense to drive all the way up to Buffalo to wind up heading south again.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 03:21AM

[Q]that loud guy with the hair Wrote:

Those directions seem pretty logical to me. It doesn't really seem to make sense to drive all the way up to Buffalo to wind up heading south again. [/q]
Except if you're cheap like me and liked to avoid tolls.

Peace Bridge + (Ambassador or Blue Water) < Ohio Turnpike + Indiana Tollway

And, much like their views on everything from public transit to prostitution, Canadians' conceptions of the speed limit are, shall we say, "liberal." On many exceedingly boring trips across peninsular Ontario, I commonly "did as the Romans," averaging about 85 mph. One time I settled into a whole train of cars doing 100 mph between London and Brantford. What can I say... I needed to get to a hockey game in Ithaca.

You're very unlikely to get picked up for setting your cruise at < 140 kmph, as you can figure out by reading the fines for speeding on the signs entering Canada. 120 kmph (20 kmph over)? Not too much. 130 kmph? A bit more. 140 kmph? More than twice as much as 130. So, keep it under 140, don't get caught sleeping between Chatham and Windsor, and you should be fine.

The Canadian route also has the advantage of avoiding the perpetual winter storm that is Erie, PA. They don't put de-icers on those bridges for nothing. On the Michigan portion of the Canadian route, you might pick up some snow after Kalamazoo, but you'd be screwed in Indiana as well.

Fewer big trucks is a great advantage. I don't think the Canadians allow double trailers, and that's important in winter. I often argue with my parents as to whether its necessary to call and say that you've arrived at your destination after a long drive. I contend that, should I not arrive at my destination, there is very little they can do for me if I'm dead along the side of the highway, flipped over in a ditch and that, instead, they should always assume that I'm OK and live with a bit of doubt in their lives. No one has ever said that I'm not cruel to those I love. The closest I've come to testing the utility of their side of the argument was on the Ohio Turnpike, sandwiched between two double trailers kicking up slush. Of course, the one on my left was breaking the law by being in the leftmost lane, but truckers, especially in the dead of night, really don't seem to care too much about the gnattish, tiny cars fishtailing in their midst.

Have I mentioned that trucks suck?

If you're an inveterate speeder, prefer to avoid snow, and share my disdain for road freight, the advantages of the Canadian route should well make up for the extra mileage and border crossings. Add in vinegar fries at Wendy's: what could be better?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:37AM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:
the best way to get to chicago is to go through PA and avoid buffalo at all costs, which can save you at least an hour. aside from that, i've got nothing. any road-tested warriors out there wanna post some more specific directions?
[/q]

Pre 9/11 the Canadian route might have made sense (I90-405-401-I94). You skip Erie and Cleveland, plus you can stop at Tim Horton's. Dunno if you wanna risk getting stuck at the bridge coming back into the US.

If you take I90, watch out for the 25 mph 90 degree turn in Ohio.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:44AM

[Q]Ack Wrote:

Or in the San Francisco Bay Area...I'd be able to you all sorts of good stuff on 580, 680, 880, 101, 280, the bridges...we practically drive on the left side of the road out there.[/q]

So what exactly does I238bypass? I38 doesn't exist.

{/roadgeek}

Ack. Go get a sandwich at AG Ferrari for me, eh?

john

piedmont ex-pat

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 09:26AM

if your crossing the border just bring your passport and leave the guns/drugs at home ... you shouldn't have much of a problem :-P ;-)

Date: March 23, 2005 10:32AM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:Add in vinegar fries at Wendy's: what could be better?[/q]Clearly, the answer to that question is duty-free shopping.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:02AM

remember, you only get one case of beer (24) --or-- one bottle of liquor per person per day duty free. and even if you stay within these limits they still might make you pay the duty :-)

Date: March 23, 2005 11:24AM

the border crossing here in buffalo is not that bad now. just a note, when coming thru buffalo on I-90 be aware that the troopers are stepping up pulling people over going above the speed limit of 55. u can fly but be careful. also realize that 90 to 190 in buffalo means that you need to be on the right when coming from the east. this will save u some time waiting for people who want 90 west when the thruway becomes a toll road again. you will need a half dollar or easy pass when u first get on 190. feel free to stop at brennans or duffs for some wings. a tim hortons is close to the william street exit (william street east to union rd south, timmys on the left.) this is two blocks from my house :)
wish i could come!
oh and now i know why canadians speed in the US. they do it in canada :)

drive safely or fly safely or hotfoot it and most of all have fun and BE LOUD

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:32AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Scersk '97 Wrote:Add in vinegar fries at Wendy's: what could be better?[/Q]
Clearly, the answer to that question is duty-free shopping.[/q]

heh-heh...you said "doody."

Also, now that Molson XXX is available at US merchants such as Wegman's, there's less of a reason to stop at the border. Unless you want Labatt's Maximum Ice.

Date: March 23, 2005 11:34AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
remember, you only get one case of beer (24) --or-- one bottle of liquor per person per day duty free. and even if you stay within these limits they still might make you pay the duty[/q]That may be true, but even on those occasions when they *do* actually bother to make you pay the duty, it's still cheaper than buying beer or liquor in the states.

(BUT, you should be aware, in case they do make you pay the duty, that they only take cash.)

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 11:39AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

So what exactly does I238bypass? I38 doesn't exist.

{/roadgeek}[/q]

[www.gbcnet.com]

Date: March 23, 2005 08:43PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

that loud guy with the hair Wrote:

Those directions seem pretty logical to me. It doesn't really seem to make sense to drive all the way up to Buffalo to wind up heading south again. [/Q]
Except if you're cheap like me and liked to avoid tolls.

Peace Bridge + (Ambassador or Blue Water) < Ohio Turnpike + Indiana Tollway
If you're an inveterate speeder, prefer to avoid snow, and share my disdain for road freight, the advantages of the Canadian route should well make up for the extra mileage and border crossings. Add in vinegar fries at Wendy's: what could be better?[/q]

If you are cutting across Ontario, just keep going west at Detroit. Follow I-94 to Chicago, skipping Ohio completely and most of Indiana. Or take 402 at London, enter Michigan at Port Huron, follow I-69 to I-94, and avoid Detroit. My limited experience driving in Michigan is that speeds there tend to be on the high side as well.

Posted by: underskill (---.N1.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Date: March 23, 2005 08:47PM

Detroit/Windsor border crossing is the worst in North America mainly because of the trucks being backed up; skip it no matter what

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login