Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

We let them decide it on the ice

Posted by KeithK 
We let them decide it on the ice
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:33AM

So the committee decides to ignore their own criteria and give Denver the higher overall seed (and the Bemidji draw) over CC solely because of the WCHA championship final. What a load of bulls***. And then Dean avoids the Cornell-Minnesota question based on the same logic. Man, that pisses me off.

Then again it almost serves CC right for losing the frickin' game yesterday. We wouldn't have been stuck with the Minnesota draw if the Tigers could've just scored a damn goal last night.[/rant]

Re: We let them decide it on the ice
Posted by: Icer (69.84.115.---)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:45AM

When do we start the angry emails?

Maybe Dean's problem is that he's a Yalie and can't help it.

A lot of people on that show had really poor analysis and explanations-- The host seemed to have a "15 minute's briefing" idea of what was going on. The guy in the middle was okay i guess.

Adam had great analysis, even if he misspoke on the 1 loss thing. I noticed that every time he brought up an ECACHL team, the others seemed to cut him short.

Anyone else notice that there was no video footage of ECACHL teams? At least, I didn't see any.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:48AM

The commitee chair guy basically just said "we did what we did, sorry if you don't like it."
As far as highlights, I think they were using mostly footage from last year's tournament because thats all ESPN has the rights to. The ECAC wasn't there for very long.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:48AM

It's inconceivably ridiculous and really entirely unacceptable as Cornell gets screwed more than any other team without question. The whole thing sucks. However, it's done now, and as the thread title says, "We let them decide it on the ice."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2005 11:49AM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:51AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote: And then Dean avoids the Cornell-Minnesota question based on the same logic. Man, that pisses me off.[/q]Actually, I thought he sidestepped it because he was in our favor. As I remember he said we all voted and that's the way it came out. Not saying he agreed.

Date: March 20, 2005 11:52AM

When Dean gets off of the committee who do we have to bribe to get Schafer to take his place? :-D

Date: March 20, 2005 11:54AM

[q]Actually, I thought he sidestepped it because he was in our favor. As I remember he said we all voted and that's the way it came out. Not saying he agreed.[/q]I actually agree with you Jim, but I'm just annoyed enough right now that I couldn't bring myself to type that.

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:55AM

calgARI, we did get kind of screwed, but at least we played 2 out the three teams in the past 2 years. If I have to say who got the worse end of the deal it would be CC. CC has a regional that has Michigan and WIsconsin both very solid teams, also instead of playing bemidji state, they have to play colgate which is a considerably tougher team. We all knew after last night we were going to end up in Minnesota, and OSU is not the worse draw we could of gotten out of the number 3 seeds. Also, Maine has been coming on stronger as of late and I could see them knocking out Minnesota in the first round. So it is not like Minnesota has a push-over game and then faces us.

Date: March 20, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

calgARI, we did get kind of screwed, but at least we played 2 out the three teams in the past 2 years. If I have to say who got the worse end of the deal it would be CC. CC has a regional that has Michigan and WIsconsin both very solid teams, also instead of playing bemidji state, they have to play colgate which is a considerably tougher team. We all knew after last night we were going to end up in Minnesota, and OSU is not the worse draw we could of gotten out of the number 3 seeds. Also, Maine has been coming on stronger as of late and I could see them knocking out Minnesota in the first round. So it is not like Minnesota has a push-over game and then faces us.[/q]

I agree that CC got screwed, but as someone else said in another thread, they deserve it for losing last night! As for Maine, I really agree, and I do think they have a very good shot against Minnesota. Of note is that all three schools besides Minnesota play on NA ice. The committee was sure nice to Minnesota in giving them three far away schools and three schools that don't play on Olympic Ice. I am a conspiracy theorist, and schools like Minnesota and Michigan sure did well today whereas schools like Cornell and Colorado College did not. The NCAA is about one thing and that is MONEY.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:59AM

i think it would have been nicer to have wi instead of tosu, though. WI has been on a slide of late. having two hot teams and two cold teams in the same bracket should favor the hot teams :)

we shall see though. let them decide it on the ice. I have faith in team having a legitimate shot this year. LGR!

Date: March 20, 2005 12:00PM

On the other hand, maybe the committee put three far away schools in Minnesota because there aren't any more tickets available anyway.

Date: March 20, 2005 12:08PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

On the other hand, maybe the committee put three far away schools in Minnesota because there aren't any more tickets available anyway.[/q]

So they figure, since Minnesota has it absolutely made, we might as well screw three other team's fans. They really have to change the host school thing to what they do in basketball - host schools go anywhere BUT their regional.

Date: March 20, 2005 12:11PM

How about host schools can't make the tournament? That would work for me... :-D

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:14PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

TCHL8842 Wrote:

calgARI, we did get kind of screwed, but at least we played 2 out the three teams in the past 2 years. If I have to say who got the worse end of the deal it would be CC. CC has a regional that has Michigan and WIsconsin both very solid teams, also instead of playing bemidji state, they have to play colgate which is a considerably tougher team. We all knew after last night we were going to end up in Minnesota, and OSU is not the worse draw we could of gotten out of the number 3 seeds. Also, Maine has been coming on stronger as of late and I could see them knocking out Minnesota in the first round. So it is not like Minnesota has a push-over game and then faces us.[/Q]
I agree that CC got screwed, but as someone else said in another thread, they deserve it for losing last night! As for Maine, I really agree, and I do think they have a very good shot against Minnesota. Of note is that all three schools besides Minnesota play on NA ice. The committee was sure nice to Minnesota in giving them three far away schools and three schools that don't play on Olympic Ice. I am a conspiracy theorist, and schools like Minnesota and Michigan sure did well today whereas schools like Cornell and Colorado College did not. The NCAA is about one thing and that is MONEY.[/q]
If the NCAA were about money, they'd have sent Cornell to one of the eastern regionals and pick up the extra gate return. They're screwing themselves out of a lot of money by not doing that.

Date: March 20, 2005 12:16PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

TCHL8842 Wrote:

calgARI, we did get kind of screwed, but at least we played 2 out the three teams in the past 2 years. If I have to say who got the worse end of the deal it would be CC. CC has a regional that has Michigan and WIsconsin both very solid teams, also instead of playing bemidji state, they have to play colgate which is a considerably tougher team. We all knew after last night we were going to end up in Minnesota, and OSU is not the worse draw we could of gotten out of the number 3 seeds. Also, Maine has been coming on stronger as of late and I could see them knocking out Minnesota in the first round. So it is not like Minnesota has a push-over game and then faces us.[/Q]
I agree that CC got screwed, but as someone else said in another thread, they deserve it for losing last night! As for Maine, I really agree, and I do think they have a very good shot against Minnesota. Of note is that all three schools besides Minnesota play on NA ice. The committee was sure nice to Minnesota in giving them three far away schools and three schools that don't play on Olympic Ice. I am a conspiracy theorist, and schools like Minnesota and Michigan sure did well today whereas schools like Cornell and Colorado College did not. The NCAA is about one thing and that is MONEY.[/Q]
If the NCAA were about money, they'd have sent Cornell to one of the eastern regionals and pick up the extra gate return. They're screwing themselves out of a lot of money by not doing that.

[/q]

I was talking about the big picture. Cornell isn't gonna generate TV ratings at the Frozen Four whereas the Michigan's, Minnesota's, and BC's will. Those three teams conveniently made out like bandits in this selection process while again, the Cornell's and CC's got screwed.

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:43PM

Cornell definitely got screwed on this one, but it was more luck than anything else. It was an odd set of randomn events -- CC losing, BC winning, the exact set of teams that ended up as the TUCs, etc. moreso than the selection commitee that conspired to screw us.

I think the constructive thing to do (if there is anything constructive to do at all) is to lobby for either a better objective system to decide who gets # 1 seeds, or to lobby for subjectivity being injected back into the process.

If the commitee considered current polls, recent performance, bonuses for conference championships etc, maybe that would actually improve things.

I think that one criteria for being a number one seed should be that it be conceivable that the selected team is actually the number one team in the country. Minnesota pretty much proved that they are not the best team in the country -- being clearly only third best in the WCHA. I could easily see a rule for the future in which no conference could contribute more than two number one seeds.

In general, I think that when the statisticians stormed the castle and took over the seeding process with their nearly mathematical calculation of who should be in a few years ago, they probably improved things for the better. But they have ignored the fact that the statistics of college hockey and PWR in particular are really imperfect, and end up giving extreme importance to otherwise insignificant games and teams. Maybe its time the commitee quit hiding behind the hard and fast process (well hard and fast except for DU/CC, apparently) and do its job by attempting to use their insight, and the wealth of knowlege available about college hockey to try and properly seed this thing.

Posted by: Stephen Turner (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:51PM

The process should be more subjective, as I suggested to them 2 years ago at the Frozen Four. Minnesota gets 10 TUC wins against Mankato and St. Cloud, and goes 2-4-1 against Mich Tech and Anchorage which doesn't count. Plus Brown drops out of the TUC, which would have made all the difference. Everything worked against us this year, and it totally sucks. Impossible to get to Minnesota, and I was really looking forward to going to the games next weekend.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:56PM

[Q]Stephen Turner Wrote:

The process should be more subjective, as I suggested to them 2 years ago at the Frozen Four. Minnesota gets 10 TUC wins against Mankato and St. Cloud, and goes 2-4-1 against Mich Tech and Anchorage which doesn't count. Plus Brown drops out of the TUC, which would have made all the difference. Everything worked against us this year, and it totally sucks. Impossible to get to Minnesota, and I was really looking forward to going to the games next weekend.[/q]
There are clearly flaws in the TUC process, and I'd like to see the RPI weightings changed. St. Cloud a TUC? Gimme a break.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:35PM

Calgari- FF ratings? The ratings are next to zero REGARDLESS of who is playing. If you are arguing about money, I think gate attendance is a better argument.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:46PM

The national championship game, primetime on ESPN, will probably do alright during a season in which there is no NHL. Yes, I know the NHL prometime ratings for ESPN are not great.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 01:48PM

Go back and check the NCAA final four ratings - I'm pretty sure you'll find them down below candlepin bowling. I don't expect any NHL to NCAA Crossover. Lots of NHL final watchers are facetimers.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 02:54PM

[Q]Mike Nevin Wrote:

Cornell definitely got screwed on this one, but it was more luck than anything else. It was an odd set of randomn events -- CC losing, BC winning, the exact set of teams that ended up as the TUCs, etc. moreso than the selection commitee that conspired to screw us.
[/q]

And our 0-2-2 record from 11/12 to 11/20 had nothing to do with it? A loss to DC and a tie with UVM, both bubble teams didn't help one bit. And what about the loss and tie to Michigan State?

And what about the loss to BC in Florida?

And what about the loss to archrival Harvard?

Or the Colgate tie?

[Q]Mike Nevin Wrote:
Maybe its time the commitee quit hiding behind the hard and fast process (well hard and fast except for DU/CC, apparently) and do its job by attempting to use their insight, and the wealth of knowlege available about college hockey to try and properly seed this thing.
[/q]

Bleh. They do that in lacrosse and IT SUCKS SWEATY UNWASHED MONKEYBALLS.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:16PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
The committee was sure nice to Minnesota in giving them three far away schools and three schools that don't play on Olympic Ice.[/q]

Yeah, playing in Minnesota sucks. My first thought: I wonder if the boys will be spending some time in Lake Placid this week. I hear we might have some connections up there...

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:25PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
The committee was sure nice to Minnesota in giving them three far away schools and three schools that don't play on Olympic Ice.[/Q]
Yeah, playing in Minnesota sucks. My first thought: I wonder if the boys will be spending some time in Lake Placid this week. I hear we might have some connections up there...
[/q]

When's the last time we played on an Olympic sheet?
Michigan State was NHL-size, correct?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 04:37PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

Scersk '97 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
The committee was sure nice to Minnesota in giving them three far away schools and three schools that don't play on Olympic Ice.[/Q]
[/Q]
When's the last time we played on an Olympic sheet?
Michigan State was NHL-size, correct?[/q]
Yes, Munn is NHL-size.

Ohio State played its first two games on an Olympic-sheet at UNH, losing to both UNH and St. Cloud, 5-1 and 3-1 respectively.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login