Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Adam Wodon on crack?

Posted by andyw2100 
Adam Wodon on crack?
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:32AM

OK, so maybe that subject line is a tad harsh.

And I know Adam is a friend of Cornell hockey. I just don't understand how not once, but twice during the selection show he could say Cornell lost one game in their last 18, when, in fact, we tied one game in our last 18, and didn't lose any.

This guy is a paid professional. Mistakes like that are unacceptable.

Defend yourself Adam--please.
Andy W.

Re: Adam Wodon is not on crack (that I know of)
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:36AM

Yeah, too harsh. Maybe he was just trying to play the superstition game, getting that "loss" out of the way before the tournament. ;-)

Re: Adam Wodon on crack?
Posted by: Josh 03 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:36AM

A tad bit harsh? Whether your on national TV or on VBR with a handful of people hopefully listening, it's easy to make simple mistakes, as I can attest. Adam is one of the most knowledgable college hockey guys out there. His mistake is not quite along the lines of the host saying, "There's BU...wondering, will it be Worcester, will it be Amherst?" when they are the host and have to be placed in Worcester. I imagine Adam sitting there cringing and wanting to correct him hearing stuff like that. I imagine Adam will post here, but geez Andy!

Posted by: Lowell '99 (207.237.138.---)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:39AM

I think you're missing the point. If he had said "one loss in their last 19 games," would THAT have been acceptable? I actually thought Adam was giving a lot of love to both Cornell and the ECAC(HL). He highlighted the fact that there were three teams in the tournament, that Harvard has been in the last four tournaments, and that Cornell has had an amazing run of late. Sure, I wish he hadn't made the mistake either, but it's really not THAT big a deal. 17-0-1 isn't all that better than 17-1-0, even if I'm obviously happy we achieved the former.

The better question is, do I follow the game online or throw my computer out the window and wait for the tape delay?

(Yes, I know I should go to Minnesota...)

Date: March 20, 2005 11:40AM

As I said in the other thread, I guess I was more shocked than anything else, because Adam is normally so good. He obviously had that line prepared, because he used it twice. It wasn't some off the cuff comment that he had to try to remember something about that he remembered wrong. It was lack of preperation. Preperation is normally one of Adam's strengths.

I know Adam is a great friend of Cornell hockey. That's why I feel let down.

I'll get over it.
Andy W.

Posted by: gatitita '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:43AM

you should go to minnesota. while youre at it, you should get US to go to minnesota... where were you THIS weekend?

Date: March 20, 2005 11:44AM

[Q]LowellFrank Wrote:

I think you're missing the point. If he had said "one loss in their last 19 games," would THAT have been acceptable?
[/q]

"Undefeated in their last 18 games" would have worked, without being clunkier. If he was willing to go with clunky, he could have said "Having tied one game, and one the other 17 over their last 18 games." Clunky is bad. So "undefeated in their last 18 games" would have been just fine.

I agree I over-reacted. But again, that is out of admiration for Adam, not a desire to criticize the guy.
Andy W.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:47AM

Can I just say that we all are a bit pissed rolleyes to have to go to MN and we don't need to beat up upon either Adam, whom we all respect, or a fan like andyw2100. We all say things needlessly when we are upset, pissed, angry, furious, irate,...:-(

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:48AM

i think adam was just a bit razzled by how the brackets turned out so maybe that caused him to make the mistake. we all do it. at least it wasnt surgery nut

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:50AM

Yeah, Adam insinuated on a couple occasions early in the show that he expected some surprises. Among those surprises was probably Cornell not being screwed.

Date: March 20, 2005 11:53AM

[Q]gatitita '05 Wrote:
where were you THIS weekend?[/q]

Ummm...Albany? Still here. About to check out of the Best Western. Is that OK?

Thanks for your comment, Jim--dead on, as usual.

I'll be beginning the trek back to Ithaca shortly, with a stop at the Crossgates Mall, for the fiancee. I'm sure by the time I actually reach Ithaca and get online again everyone, myself included, will have calmed down.

Let's Go Red!
Andy W.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
"Undefeated in their last 18 games" would have worked, without being clunkier. If he was willing to go with clunky, he could have said "Having tied one game, and one the other 17 over their last 18 games." Clunky is bad. So "undefeated in their last 18 games" would have been just fine.

[/q]

Actually, "one loss in their last 18 games" sounds BETTER than "undefeated in their last 18 games" because "undefeated in their last 18 games" could mean 14-0-4 or 10-0-8 or even worse.

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

I agree I over-reacted.
[/q]

Yes. Yes you did.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:08PM

And "one loss in their last 18 games" could mean 0-1-17

Re: Adam Wodon on crack?No
Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:17PM

Thankfully, Adam was on the show. His point about our record was well made, that we've been playing extremely well. Obviously, neither Buccigross or Pang had a clue about PWR and how it has been used.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:50PM

Yep - fu*ked it up -- oh well ... The point being made, however, was about how a team with only 1 loss in 18 games (actually 1 tie in 18 games) could easily have an argument for being a 1 seed - if you wanted to start making up subjective criteria. So I'd like to think everyone focused on that point.

FYI - I don't think Cornell got "screwed" by the committee -- just got stuck in an unfortunate set of circumstances. ... The point I was making was not that they got screwed, but they the committee opened itself up to everyone asking "why not make this subjective call, why not make that subjective call?" ... That becomes a never-ending nightmare.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:56PM

[Q]adamw Wrote:

Yep - fu*ked it up -- oh well ... The point being made, however, was about how a team with only 1 loss in 18 games (actually 1 tie in 18 games) could easily have an argument for being a 1 seed - if you wanted to start making up subjective criteria. So I'd like to think everyone focused on that point.

FYI - I don't think Cornell got "screwed" by the committee -- just got stuck in an unfortunate set of circumstances. ... The point I was making was not that they got screwed, but they the committee opened itself up to everyone asking "why not make this subjective call, why not make that subjective call?" ... That becomes a never-ending nightmare.
[/q]

good point, adam. I thought u did great on the show besides that one mistake. but like I said, we all make mistakes and it wasnt a huge one. are you going to write a nice article about how the committee took something into their own hands which was meant to be in the hands (or keys or memory?) of a computer? cc would appreciate that :)

LGR!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 05:12PM

[Q]adamw Wrote:
The point being made, however, was about how a team with only 1 loss in 18 games (actually 1 tie in 18 games) could easily have an argument for being a 1 seed - if you wanted to start making up subjective criteria. So I'd like to think everyone focused on that point.[/q]OR, that could be taken into account by an objective criterion, like the somewhat-recently-eliminated Last 16.

(If, hypothetically and for curiosity's sake, L16 was still part of the PWR, we would have won the Minnesota comparison and Dartmouth would be in instead of Wisconsin.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 05:17PM

Or the fact that the current TUC criterion over-rewards the WCHA because their shitty teams play so many games against their top teams that even a <0.400 team like St. Cloud is a TUC.

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: March 20, 2005 05:48PM

That "shitty" St. Cloud team

- tied SLU
- beat OSU
- split with NMU (bubble team)
- clobbered both Yale and Princeton - on the road
- tied Maine
- lost to No. 1 BC in double OT
- clobbered Sacred Heart twice

THAT's why the WCHA teams are ranked so highly. Because their shitty teams are actually pretty good. Not because of flaws to the KRACH or PWR, per se.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 05:54PM

[Q]adamw Wrote:

- tied SLU
- beat OSU
- tied Maine

THAT's why the WCHA teams are ranked so highly. Because their shitty teams are actually pretty good. Not because of flaws to the KRACH or PWR, per se.
[/q]Thanks Adam. I didn't want to do the legwork to prove the same thing. St. Cloud's shitty record is a function of spending the year losing to CC, Denver, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:19PM

[Q]adamw Wrote:

- tied SLU
- beat OSU
- tied Maine

[/q]
It isn't clear to me that one win in 18 games against the NCAA tournament teams in your conference is much of an endorsement for TUC status.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:54PM

Adam,

For what its worth I don't think you were on crack on Friday. Your play by play was great and I wish that you had been calling the game on Saturday, too.

What I didn't like about the games both nights were the limited number of cameras but more to the point I wonder about the quality of the camera that was in the booth at center ice. It sure didn't make the game very easy to follow. I can't read a hell of a lot on the backs of the players in many of the shots and the puck was hard to follow from that camera, too.

I was at the rink (in that section - 120) but I like to watch the replays and therefore tape the games.

Is it a function of the camera quality or is it due to using just one camera to attempt to cover the rink? I don't know but I'm sure CSTV will improve.

Thanks again Adam, and thanks for no woofing (or bitching on behalf of your favorite team) on the Sunday selection show.

Posted by: Chief AA Bear (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:01PM

After a wonderful evening at the Pepsi, watching our boys put the big hurt on 'Vard, and my verbal hurt on the old, obnoxious Harvard guys sitting right behind me, I watched with rapt anger this morning at the seeding results dramatized on ESPN. I could not have been more disappointed.

I thought Adam was good on the tube except that I had hoped he would have pounced a followup question on that squemish little smurf Asst. AD form Yale who completely avoided the question of why wasn't Cornell considered for an eastern playoff berth. I would expect that from a WCHA'er, but not an Ivy AD'er. Disgraceful !!!!!

When it was all but admitted that subjective considerations had also been employed beside the more prominent statistical approach, we got royally screwed again!

I can see why Colgate got sent out West, and I'm sure they are happy just to have made the tourney, but where does this never-ending harvard lovefest end!!!!!!

As I pointed out to the morons from Crimson land last night, their "great team" hasn't accomplished diddly this year. They:

1. Faired poorly in the Beanpot
2. Lost the Ivy crown to Cornell
3. Lost the regular season ECACHL crown to Cornell
4. Lost the ECACHL Championship to Cornell
5. Don't bring any fans to the games
6. And where the hell was their band? (even though it sucks anyways)

and so ...... "Vard (or shall I say 'Vlad')stays in the East? and Cornell has to travel west? A team with such devoted and mobile fans that we helped set a record fan turnout at the Pepsi this year? I JUST DON'T GET THE BIAS !!!!!! And I'm fried that I can't go to Amhearst or Worcester to see them in the regionals !!!!!!

"Screw BU and the NCAA selection committee tooo!!!!!!!

I hope UNH kicks 'Vlad's' asses all the way back to the Charles River !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can eat shit for all I care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And since when has the "BIG ICE" ever hindered our team before? We won multiple crowns on Lake Placid's "BIG SHEET" and the Pepsi's "BIG SHEET", so why should MN's "BIG SHEET" be any different? But it was installed as a 'fear factor' by this morning's commentators.

Hopefully Maine will upset the Gophers, and i think we have a pretty good shot at beating Maine.... "ON THE BIG F'ing ICE SHEET"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anybody tell that I'm P.O.'ed??????????????

I'm very very proud of our team and Mike Shafer... so:

LET's GO REDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jy3 (161.136.210.---)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:11PM

the chief is back! wow. welcome back, chief!

here is to hoping that the games are on tv this weekend. it may motivate me to switch to satellite sooner :)

LGR!

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]Chief AA Bear Wrote:
6. And where the hell was their band? (even though it sucks anyways)[/q]
The Harvard band was at their women's game... not a bad travel decision, seeing as how they won that game and advanced to the Frozen Four.

Posted by: Chief AA Bear (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:33PM

Thanks JY3,

It's nice to be back (I've been working too hard thorugh this long and dark winter -- Thank God there's been Cornell Hoclkey to get me through!)

--da Bear

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:48PM

Pepsi's sheet was an NHL standard sheet I believe

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:17AM

[Q]marty Wrote:

Adam,

What I didn't like about the games both nights were the limited number of cameras but more to the point I wonder about the quality of the camera that was in the booth at center ice. It sure didn't make the game very easy to follow. I can't read a hell of a lot on the backs of the players in many of the shots and the puck was hard to follow from that camera, too.

Is it a function of the camera quality or is it due to using just one camera to attempt to cover the rink? I don't know but I'm sure CSTV will improve..[/q]

I noticed that too. I thought it was the webfeeds problem on Friday since things seemed overly white and the players a little short. Then I saw on Saturday that the same thing was happening on the TV feed. Flipping to the HE, WCHA and CCHA games on other channels, none of them had this problem.

The weirdest thing was that the players all looked smaller/shorter than they should- even my girlfriend pointed that out. ALmost like the screen was compressed. Very odd

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:40AM

[Q]abmarks Wrote:
The weirdest thing was that the players all looked smaller/shorter than they should- even my girlfriend pointed that out. ALmost like the screen was compressed. Very odd
[/q]That was just Topher.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ligo-la.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:34AM

You might want to talk to your doctor about upping the dosage on your Ritalin. :-}

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:48PM

::flipb::
cut it out. if someone says something stupid, you should either a. correct them b. ignore it.

you dont need to make comments about them needing ridalin, or prozac...

though maybe you have little man syndrome... I am sure barry bonds can help you find some human growth hormone

Posted by: BCrespi (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 02:54PM

Pot. Kettle. Need I finish?

Date: March 21, 2005 04:47PM

At least you can watch the other games. This flippin' Time Warner feud with MSG/Fox has me considering a dish.

Date: March 21, 2005 04:50PM

I'll speak for the Chief until he corrects me, but I doubt he would take offense at the ritalin remark. He is a great fan and a lot of fun to be with at the games and otherwise and he never seems to lose his smile or his enthusiasm.

Come to think of it, hand me the pills!;-)

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 12:59PM

hey - adam wodon picked maine to win teh west regional.
go figure.
[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:01PM

[Q]dadeo Wrote:
hey - adam wodon picked maine to win teh west regional.
go figure.
[/q]Don't complain. Adam picked against Cornell in the regionals two years ago and it worked then. :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login