Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Harvard postgame

Posted by canucksfan 
Cornell-Harvard postgame
Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 11:15PM

Typical, fantastic Cornell performance. They simply pounded the life out of Harvard along the boards.

McKee was huge when he had to be. People talk about how he doesn't face as many shots as other goalies but he still makes the saves when he is called upon. Speaking of huge performances, how about Charlie Cook? Immense on defense and of course on the PP.

Finally, the "other" hero of the game...Dan Pegoraro. He has been getting better and better this year, but I think this was his best performance yet. He was driving to the net and making dangerous passes and shots all game, but the one play of his (besides that gorgeous assist) that stands out in my mind is a blocked shot he had in the third period, where he slid right through the puck and the defender to clear the zone. He has really become a well-rounded player this season, and Peggy deserves as much credit for his tenacity on defense as he does for his fantastic offensive work today.

Re: Cornell-Harvard postgame
Posted by: Denison 71 (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 11:40PM

Who was ECAC Tournament MVP?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 11:41PM

[Q]Denison 71 Wrote:

Who was ECAC Tournament MVP?
[/q]
Charlie Cook

Posted by: Denison 71 (---.rte20201.de.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 11:55PM

Thanks.
What is your prediction about where Cornell is going to play the first round in NCAA?

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.radnor01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:05AM

Anybody know who is televising next week's games?

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:09AM

[Q]Luke 05 Wrote:

Anybody know who is televising next week's games? [/q]

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.radnor01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 12:16AM

So how i see it, if we aren't in Worcester, we will not be on television for the first round game. Am I reading the list correctly?

Date: March 20, 2005 12:24AM

[Q]Luke 05 Wrote:

So how i see it, if we aren't in Worcester, we will not be on television for the first round game. Am I reading the list correctly?[/q]
It's possible some of the games will be syndicated to the regional sports networks (e.g., Fox Sports North), especially those that ESPN-U will have to show delayed. Should know more after the seedings when the RSNs know who's playing when and where. Let's hope so, anyway, if Cornell gets sent west.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:01AM

What a fantastic game. Watching Moulson makes me giddy. On the second goal, the way he and Topher kept circling and passing to eachother before Moulson found Cook all alone ... it was poetry.

I can't wait for the first round of the NCAAs. I don't care where it is, I don't care who we play. I love this team.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 03:04AM

After the first period, it was without question the best the team played all season. Really too bad they're gonna end up in Minnesota. I guess it feels like they're being punished by going to big ice and having to beat Gophers on their own ice.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 08:36AM

Attended both games with my daughter. Great bonding experience.

Some observations from last night:

1. Brutal first period (we looked like we were were the team that played 2 OT the night before).
2. Our overall strength and work ethic along the boards and behind the net is what separates us from all others. It ultimately wears down the opposition and leads to penalties, where the powerplay works its magic.
3. Besides Cook and McKee, I thought Pegoraro, Moulson, Scott, Hynes and Bitz really stood out.
4. It was mentioned before, but I can't emphasize enough how strong Pegoraro was last night. Besides setting up the critical first goal and working along the boards, he dove to knock the puck out of our zone on a number of occasions in the third period when we were protecting the lead. His escape from last year's doghouse symbolizes how this team has come along.
5. My main concern continues to be our breakout. I thought that in both games the defense struggled to clear the zone, and our Freshmen D-men showed some nervousness. If it isn't remedied, we can be made to pay by a team with offensive talent.
6. From reading the other threads, it's disappointing that we seem likely headed to Minneapolis, but the system does what it does and there's little use crying about it. Just go out and win the games!

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 09:24AM

Pegoraro's patience in waiting for Varteressian was excellent.

Pokulok and Krantz struggled again in the first period. Without a lot of improvement look for them to get victimized on the big ice by WI, and MN if we get that far.

The second period was complete domination. Harvard is credited with two shots on goal, but the second was really moving away from goal when McKee caught it as it crossed in front.

For finishing 2nd and 3rd Harvard and Colgate get to stay east. Harvard will never get out of the Amherst bracket. Look for Colgate to put up a good fight against DU if they play like they did in the first period against Harvard Friday night. But that's a tough bracket.

WI has won 3 of its last dozen games. Only 6 of their 21 wins against big 4 league teams have come against those with a .500 record or better.

Despite being the highest ranked 2 seed Cornell has the toughest path of the #2s to the final 4 going by KRACH rankings of its likely opponents, even before considering that it's playing one of those at its home arena.

Posted by: redredux (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 10:45AM

I thought the first period last night was pretty even. Until our first goal, I thought we might never score on Dov. He looked very sharp even in the second period as we dominated play. Pegs patience on the first goal was amazing. Putting that first goal in gave us such a boost. From then on, Harvard didn't really challenge. Seeing Dov for the last time (probably) is nice. I wonder how Harvard's goaltending will be next year.

Anyway, what a great win. I'm so happy that Noah Welch can't say he won 3 of 4 ECAC championships. The last four years have provided great theater between the Red and the Crimson. There's nothing liking beating them.

On a down note, I agree that our breakout is our weakest link. Too much confusion in our own end.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 10:49AM

[q]Anyway, what a great win. I'm so happy that Noah Welch can't say he won 3 of 4 ECAC championships.[/q]Amen to that! As much as I hate the fact that they won twice in the last four years, at least Cornell matched that figure. Important to maintain the lead (11 to 7 now).

Date: March 20, 2005 10:53AM

[Q]redredux Wrote:

Pegs patience on the first goal was amazing. Putting that first goal in gave us such a boost....

I'm so happy that Noah Welch can't say he won 3 of 4 ECAC championships.[/q]
Especially nice was seeing Welch victimized by Pegs and Vart on that 2-on-1. He went for the puck rather than covering the second guy.

Date: March 20, 2005 11:39AM

He admitted that in the recap. Said he thought the backchecker was there to cover Varteressian. Nice that the guy coming off of the penalty kill had the legs to be in place for the goal, while the powerplay forward couldn't get back (2OT had a part in that perhaps, but hey, it's still nice).

Date: March 20, 2005 12:14PM

[Q] He admitted that in the recap. Said he thought the backchecker was there to cover Varteressian [/Q]

Way to take responsibility, Noah! Despite being the team captain and letting Pegoraro control you like a marionette on the 2-on-1, you still insist that it isn't your fault! If a backchecker was there, why did you stay in the middle, between the two Cornell skaters, for so long?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2005 12:26PM by canucksfan.

Date: March 20, 2005 12:36PM

You missed my point canucksfan. Noah was taking responsibility:
[q]"I thought I played it well just up until the last second there," said the Crimson captain. "I thought our backchecker was there and I thought I actually turned it into a one-on-one. I gave the guy the pass across, which is not my job. I should let Dov take the shooter, so I take responsibility for that goal.[/q]

Date: March 20, 2005 12:49PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

He admitted that in the recap. Said he thought the backchecker was there to cover Varteressian. Nice that the guy coming off of the penalty kill had the legs to be in place for the goal, while the powerplay forward couldn't get back (2OT had a part in that perhaps, but hey, it's still nice).[/q]
Du was the backchecker who didn't quite get there.

Something fitting about all three goals being scored by seniors.

Date: March 20, 2005 02:50PM

Ah. My mistake

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 05:59PM

I thought Pegs was absolutly amazing. The Blocked shot, his assist. He almost had a goal on a pass from cam abbott, but hyphen got his foot there in time.

Pokulok Played well all weekend, Cook was amazing. Mckee was awsome. great weekend, good job guys!

Date: March 20, 2005 06:10PM

Pokuluk saw too much ice time for someone that hadn't played in so long. As expected, I thought he struggled, especially breaking out of the zone. I'm sure he will improve a great deal as he skates more. He will really need to because I suspect OSU will go hard at Cornell's defensemen coming out of the zone as that is an area where they have had trouble.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:16PM

Pegs definitely had a great weekend.

Pokulok looked better on Friday than he did on Saturday. Reasonable since he hasn't played in so long.

Did anyone catch the all-tournament team announcement? This recap says Moulson, McKee, Cook and Pegs, but then doesn't finish the sentence. If I had to guess, I'd say Mormina and Cavanagh.

Re: All tournament team
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:18PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Pegs definitely had a great weekend.

Pokulok looked better on Friday than he did on Saturday. Reasonable since he hasn't played in so long.

Did anyone catch the all-tournament team announcement? This recap says Moulson, McKee, Cook and Pegs, but then doesn't finish the sentence. If I had to guess, I'd say Mormina and Cavanagh.[/q]

Avash showed me the all-tournament team...you're right about Mormina and Du was the other forward, not Cavanagh

F Moulson, Cornell
F Du, Harvard
F Pegoraro, Cornell
D Mormina, Colgate
D Cook, Cornell
G McKee, Cornell

MOP Cook (thanks Josh, doh!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2005 08:21PM by atb9.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:21PM

On Pegs -- I honestly thought he might have a shot at MVP, because his play both nights typified what it took to get the wins. So many huge plays, so much hard work. "What a difference in this generation!"

Date: March 20, 2005 06:24PM

[q]Pokuluk saw too much ice time for someone that hadn't played in so long. As expected, I thought he struggled, especially breaking out of the zone. I'm sure he will improve a great deal as he skates more.[/q]Well, that upside and improvement may be why he had so much ice time. Get him his time, get him back in the flow so he will be back to form before the season is over. If he only plays sparingly then why bother letting him dress again this season?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:27PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:
If he only plays sparingly then why bother letting him dress again this season?[/q]
Because even with the problems of getting back in sync, he was the sixth best blueliner we had. Next weekend he might be the fifth. Or the fourth.

Never mind. Upon reviewing your post, I realized I completely missed your point. Happily, without it being "politely" pointed out to me. :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2005 06:28PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 06:59PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

Pokulok Played well all weekend, [/q]

You've missed your medicine again. I can't stress how imporatant it is you take it regularly.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 07:10PM

funny, ok, so maybe I worded it wrong. He played well most of friday... and wasn't as good friday. and considering he hasn't played in 6 weeks, I would say he played well.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2005 08:18PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:MOP McKee[/q]Don't you mean Cook? :-P

Posted by: Redscore (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 08:18PM

What has Noah Welch done that has made Red fans take aim at him? I've always thought he was a pretty good guy. Am I missing something?

Date: March 20, 2005 08:23PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:MOP McKee[/Q]
Don't you mean Cook? [/q]

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't... :-P :-D

Thanks!

Date: March 20, 2005 08:33PM

[Q]Redscore Wrote:

What has Noah Welch done that has made Red fans take aim at him? I've always thought he was a pretty good guy. Am I missing something?[/q]

Redscore and Welch sitting in a tree... ;-)

I'm sure he's a great team mate and all--he really loosened the team up at practice on Thursday--but Welch is an overrated hack. Can he stay out of the box? He's a senior and supposedly one of Harvards best players yet he has no idea how to cut down his PIMs.

In addition to "Du-che Bag" I loved the "Welch: 100% fruit" sign at the game Saturday (top of section 110?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2005 08:34PM by atb9.

Date: March 20, 2005 08:36PM

[Q]Redscore Wrote:

What has Noah Welch done that has made Red fans take aim at him? I've always thought he was a pretty good guy. Am I missing something?[/q]

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like him because he stole the puck after Paolini's game-winner in the 2003 ECAC Final. Don't actually know if he kept it or if Cornell got it back somehow, but it was still a pretty classless thing to do.

Also, he's a Harvard player.

Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 08:52PM

[Q]canucksfan Wrote:

Redscore Wrote:

What has Noah Welch done that has made Red fans take aim at him? I've always thought he was a pretty good guy. Am I missing something?[/Q]
I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like him because he stole the puck after Paolini's game-winner in the 2003 ECAC Final. Don't actually know if he kept it or if Cornell got it back somehow, but it was still a pretty classless thing to do.

Also, he's a Harvard player.[/q]

I remember reading about this on ELF after the '03 final. Wasn't this sort of an urban myth? Let's not accuse Noah Welch of something he didn't do.

Date: March 20, 2005 09:04PM

No reason to unfairly accuse Welch of something. I for one don't need a reason to dislike the guy. He plays hockey for Harvard. That is enough. :-)

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-213-10.myvzw.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 09:23PM

Great weekend. Am I the only one who thinks O'bryne has been absolutely brutal carrying the puck out of his zone lately? He does a lot of other things well. But, when he's standing behind McKee waiting to start up ice with the puck, I get very nervous. And, it seems to be getting worse; like he's losing confidence.

Date: March 20, 2005 09:39PM

I've done a search of the archives...some people reported that Welch gave Paolini the puck during the handshake, but there was also a pretty big rant by someone who was sure that Welch had kept it. I guess it's inconclusive...doesn't it seem odd, though, that the first thing this guy (supposedly) thought of after his team lost the championship was to retrieve the puck for the opposing goalscorer? Especially since they didn't play for the same team before college or anything.

Date: March 20, 2005 09:49PM

[Q]redice Wrote:

Great weekend. Am I the only one who thinks O'bryne has been absolutely brutal carrying the puck out of his zone lately? He does a lot of other things well. But, when he's standing behind McKee waiting to start up ice with the puck, I get very nervous. And, it seems to be getting worse; like he's losing confidence.[/q]

Yes, he gave away the puck early against Vermont much like in Game 2 against Clarkson. However, besides that I thought he was outstanding. I'm pretty sure he led Cornell skaters in ice time both games. He was steady and far better coming out of the defensive end than Krantz or Pokuluk were.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 10:10PM

[Q]Redscore Wrote:
What has Noah Welch done that has made Red fans take aim at him? I've always thought he was a pretty good guy. Am I missing something?[/q]A) Because he's flipped us off on more than one occasion.
B) Because he's wildly overrated. He was terrible this weekend. Gave the puck away left and right.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:10PM

Speaking of giving pucks away...

I actually have something nice to say about Donato.

A bunch of us were gathered in the Crowne Plaza lobby Saturday night, waiting for the team to arrive. Unlike 2003, the band was not present, but we were still quite a crowd. I'm guessing there may have been 150 Cornell fans there, including perhaps 20-30 young ones. Donato came in and as he passed through the crowd he gave one of the young Cornell fans a puck.

As much as I enjoy despising Harvard hockey, and anything and anyone associated with it, that little gesture made an impression on me.
Andy W.

Posted by: Chief AA Bear (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2005 11:46PM

I second That !!!

That was a heads-up, solid "D" play and everybody around me noticed it too!

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:09AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Something fitting about all three goals being scored by seniors.[/q]

Absolutely. That's why I wrote this -

[www.uscho.com]

(I'm not trying to self-promote or anything. It's just that the article got sort of hidden on USCHO, and I definitely wanted to credit the senior class.)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:48AM

Random belated thoughts on the Championship game after being there in person and watching the rebroadcast on CSTV:

- G-M played an impressive game. The only thing he misplayed was the third goal. Cook’s shot went right into the heart of the net b/c G-M’s lateral move was excessive. But Cornell had been peppering him for a while by then and the Cornell pp was working like a well oiled machine so G-M can’t be faulted much for finally being out of position. If the score had stayed 2-1, I would have probably given G-M the outstanding player award.

- Geez, Harv came so close to scoring on the pp that immediately preceded Cornell’s first goal. That moment --Harv being denied on the pp and then Cornell getting the 2-on-1 goal-- was the elixir that the team and crowd needed. After that, Cornell was an unstoppable force.

- The crowd situation was so horribly unbalanced, I wish that any recruit that was entertaining both Cornell and Harv could be teleported back in time to that game and experience it. Scanning around in my section (and I was not in one of the school specific sections, I was in the upper tier), I saw exactly one fan wearing Harv apparel. The scattering of other people rooting for Harv near me were converted ‘Gate and UVM fans.

- The “Doc” and Jaffe were fine on the championship broadcast, but I would have rather had Adam and Bob Norton; those two did a very good job for the semis broadcast and just clearly love and know the college game.

- This game was just as satisfying but not as exhilarating as the 2003 championship (for fairly obvious reasons). There seemed to be a “taking care of business” attitude coming from the team --confident and determined to win. Their celebration was relatively subdued I thought. Did anyone else notice that Downs did a little fake like he was going to the do the sprint lap with the trophy a la 2003?

- Maybe time is playing tricks on me, but I feel that this team is every bit as potent as the 2003 squad. One-and-done is always a crap shoot, but I’m cautiously optimistic about the NCAAs.

- If Hobey voting occurs now before the NCAAs start (I believe it does), I think McKee has made about as strong of a case for a goalie as you can: top gaa, top save % (tied), 10 shutouts with most coming in the latter part of the season including two in the playoffs, giving up only 3 goals total in 4 playoff games, played every game for his team and never had a “meltdown” or anything that even seemed like an off night. Of course, my bias may be clouding my judgement...

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 11:08AM

I heard Welch retrieved the puck and gave it to Paolini himself, either in the handshake line or immediately afterwards, and it was actually a really classy thing to do. I don't know if they'd played together outside of the NCAAs at some point or if it was just a mark of respect for a rival, but it really doesn't matter.

Having said that, people dislike him because he takes a ton of penalty minutes, mixes it up with the fans, and plays for Harvard. Playing for Harvard is probably the biggest mark against him. If the guy played for Wisconsin or even Yale nobody would care about him.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]JasonN95 Wrote:Did anyone else notice that Downs did a little fake like he was going to the do the sprint lap with the trophy a la 2003?
[/q]

I didn't notice the "fake" but at one point Schafer handed Downs the cup, and told him to do the little sprint lap, which he did, ending up, of course, in front of the Cornell end, to huge cheers.
Andy W.

Date: March 21, 2005 01:35PM

[Q]JasonN95 Wrote:

- If Hobey voting occurs now before the NCAAs start (I believe it does), I think McKee has made about as strong of a case for a goalie as you can: top gaa, top save % (tied), 10 shutouts with most coming in the latter part of the season including two in the playoffs, giving up only 3 goals total in 4 playoff games, played every game for his team and never had a “meltdown” or anything that even seemed like an off night. Of course, my bias may be clouding my judgement...
[/q]

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but - that tied the ECACHL record for goals given up in the tournament (although Paul Cohen for St. Lawrence in 1989 gave up 3 goals in 3 games. McKee of course accomplished the feat in 4 games.)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 01:51PM

[Q]JasonN95 Wrote:
- Maybe time is playing tricks on me, but I feel that this team is every bit as potent as the 2003 squad. One-and-done is always a crap shoot, but I’m cautiously optimistic about the NCAAs.[/q]

They're a lot more even-keeled than '03. Just think about the '03 SF: 10 minutes of dominance, 20 minutes of being dominated, 20 minutes of dominance, 10 minutes of neck-and-neck -- a roller coaster ride. The '05 edition isn't like that at all. The '03 team scalded you. The '05 team inexorably increases the temperature until you're boiled.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2005 01:53PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: kaaren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 06:49PM

I know it's all been said but I just have to add my 2¢ to this thread.

I am still on a high after witnessing and being a part of the crowd at the Pepsi Arena this past weekend. How proud I am to be a Big Red fan and I'm even prouder not only of our team...as that goes without saying...but of the FAITHFUL and all Big Red fans in general.

Talk about a "C" of Red! Red was everywhere in the stands. And the FAITHFUL...what can I say that hasn't already been said. The signs, the impromptu cheers, the relentless badgering of the opposing sieves...AWESOME! How could anyone not be impressed with our enthusiasm? My favorite cheer and one that was talked about in the newspaper the following day came during the second overtime period in the Gate/Sucks games when the FAITHUL started chanting..."Our team's sleeping!" I thought I'd heard it all til that one.

And the band. Our pep band is by far the best I've heard ANYWHERE! Who else would have thought about starting to sing the Canadian National Anthem after play had just gotten underway in the first period of the Cornell/Sucks game? Many of the fans joined in. The music was fantastic as always. And correct me if I'm wrong but did I see some of our pep band lending a hand to the Vermont band during their consolation game with Colgate? Those guys and gals played their hearts out for two back-to-back games. My donation to get you all out to Minneapolis is forthcoming as it just wouldn't be the same without our pep band there.

And on a hockey note...even though I'm no expert like y'all seem to be, but after this weekend, I'm convinced that our guys...provided they all show up in their "A" game jerseys...can go toe to toe with any team out there. Unfortunately I won't be able to physically make it to Minneapolis but you can take this to the bank...I'LL BE SEEING YOU ALL IN COLUMBUS!

LET's GO RED!!!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:05PM

[q]Who else would have thought about starting to sing the Canadian National Anthem after play had just gotten underway in the first period of the Cornell/Sucks game?[/q]FWIW this is pretty standard road game behavior for the Faithful in rinks where the Canadian national anthem is not played. I can't speak to how often it is or isn't the pep band who starts it.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:44PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Who else would have thought about starting to sing the Canadian National Anthem after play had just gotten underway in the first period of the Cornell/Sucks game?[/Q]
FWIW this is pretty standard road game behavior for the Faithful in rinks where the Canadian national anthem is not played. I can't speak to how often it is or isn't the pep band who starts it.[/q]
There have been a few occasions where the band and the clump of Cornell fans have started it at slightly different times because voices don't carry backward very well. We're always there to start it if someone else doesn't.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:57PM

Are there rules that enjoin the band from playing the Canadian anthem if the PA system doesn't? I assume you can't play (rules? rules of decency?) during actual play or during say lineup announcements?

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 07:58PM

You definitely may not play during game play.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:03PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Are there rules that enjoin the band from playing the Canadian anthem if the PA system doesn't? I assume you can't play (rules? rules of decency?) during actual play or during say lineup announcements? [/q]
It's expressly verboten to use instruments during play and generally frowned upon to play over the announcer. I guess we could try throwing it out there for the first stoppage and let the fans sing to the finish when play resumes, but I don't know what the rules of propriety are regarding announcing the playing of a national anthem and having everyone stand out of respect and things like that.

Not that any of that stopped us from playing the Swedish anthem unannounced on senior night two years ago.

Posted by: DKmathteacher (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 21, 2005 08:08PM

In addition to "Du-che Bag" I loved the "Welch: 100% fruit" sign at the game Saturday (top of section 110?).

AMEN to that!!! I believe it was very top of section 109... way to go girls!!!:-D

Date: March 21, 2005 09:25PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:FWIW this is pretty standard road game behavior for the Faithful in rinks where the Canadian national anthem is not played. I can't speak to how often it is or isn't the pep band who starts it.[/q]I'm inclined to guess that O Canada is not played at Mariucci (grand total of two Canadian guys on their roster). We should make sure to sing it there.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 09:28PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:FWIW this is pretty standard road game behavior for the Faithful in rinks where the Canadian national anthem is not played. I can't speak to how often it is or isn't the pep band who starts it.[/Q]
I'm inclined to guess that O Canada is not played at Mariucci (grand total of two Canadian guys on their roster). We should make sure to sing it there.[/q]

I've heard from a friend I met in California (who used to go to Minnesota) that their roster used to be 100% American, and the crowd loved to shout "USA! USA!" at times. Sucks to be the two outsiders who killed that cheer B-]

Date: March 21, 2005 09:34PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:I've heard from a friend I met in California (who used to go to Minnesota) that their roster used to be 100% American, and the crowd loved to shout "USA! USA!" at times. Sucks to be the two outsiders who killed that cheer[/q]In fact, their roster was not just 100% American, but 100% Minnesotan.

Date: March 21, 2005 09:50PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

KP '06 Wrote:I've heard from a friend I met in California (who used to go to Minnesota) that their roster used to be 100% American, and the crowd loved to shout "USA! USA!" at times. Sucks to be the two outsiders who killed that cheer[/Q]
In fact, their roster was not just 100% American, but 100% Minnesotan.[/q]
And BC for a long time was 100% American. It was even shocking when they brought in Tim Sheehy from International Falls, MN, in the class of 1970. You'da thought he was from Vladivostok--or, worse, Toronto. Sheehy scored 185 points in his three seasons at BC, but it was still going to be a long time before a real furriner played for BC, IIRC.

Of course, it was even more shocking to Minnesotans that Tim would pass up being a Goofer.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:34PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
jmh30 Wrote:
In fact, their roster was not just 100% American, but 100% Minnesotan.[/Q]
And BC for a long time was 100% American.[/q]
One gets the idea that these "traditions" used to be a lot more important. (Except in Minnesota, where they had to wait for Wooger to leave.) It's old hat to the more venerable members of this forum, but I've found some fine Crimson articles from the late 60s that address nationality and college hockey. I've put them in another thread with some other that I found:

[elf.elynah.com]

Video highlights
Date: March 21, 2005 11:30PM

In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's a video of the final seconds of the championship game, the trophy presentations, and highlights of all the goals:

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

The link ("Video Highlights";) is at the top, just before the article starts. It's a link to CSTV's video, so I'm sure you can find it on cstv.com as well. Anyway, enjoy.

Re: Video highlights
Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 01:02AM

And here is the direct link to the video:
[www.collegesports.com]

Date: March 22, 2005 12:33PM

[q]I've heard from a friend I met in California (who used to go to Minnesota) that their roster used to be 100% American, and the crowd loved to shout "USA! USA!" at times. Sucks to be the two outsiders who killed that cheer[/q]This tradition changed when their current coach (Lucia) came in. It was a really big deal among some of their fans - there were regular arguments about the recruiting policy. They still are primarily Minnesotan - why wouldn't they be? But it's not a rule anymore.

I count two Canadians, 2 from North Dakota and 1 from Colorado on their roster.

Date: March 22, 2005 12:39PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I've heard from a friend I met in California (who used to go to Minnesota) that their roster used to be 100% American, and the crowd loved to shout "USA! USA!" at times. Sucks to be the two outsiders who killed that cheer[/Q]
This tradition changed when their current coach (Lucia) came in. It was a really big deal among some of their fans - there were regular arguments about the recruiting policy. They still are primarily Minnesotan - why wouldn't they be? But it's not a rule anymore.

I count two Canadians, 2 from North Dakota and 1 from Colorado on their roster.[/q]
Even a hotshot import like Vanek was controversial.

Date: March 22, 2005 12:42PM

In 2001-2002, the only non Minnesotan on their team was Grant Potulny (Grand Forks, ND). He of course scored the championsip winning goal in overtime in the 2002 title game against Maine.

This weekend is the second time since that championship game that Minnesota and Maine will play, and the first in the postseason.

Date: March 22, 2005 02:16PM

Just watched the championship game again.

It appears that Cornell's first goal (Varteressian's) came as a result of a weird bounce off the boards at the other end. Take a look if you taped it; Carefoot was in the right place at the right time to collect the puck and shovel it off the boards to Pegoraro, but the Harvard turnover just prior to that happened because the Harvard player was expecting the puck to hit the boards and come out at a different angle than it actually did.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:19PM

[Q]the Harvard player was expecting the puck to hit the boards and come out at a different angle than it actually did.[/Q]

That seemed to happen a lot this weekend. The Pepsi Arena should really be embarrassed about how bad the boards were.

Date: March 22, 2005 03:56PM

Not to mention the ice. All things considered it seems to be a lousy facility. No, I am NOT trying to start the Albany-Lake Placid debate again. I'm just mentioning that the playing conditions aren't very good. Nothing that a renovation wouldn't fix.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 22, 2005 04:02PM

As someone who would gladly have the tourny go back to Placid THIS INSTANT, I don't think Albany is that crappy a facility. The boards sucked, and the arena and league could do a helluva lot more to promote the tourny being in town (one billboard and a cheesy, four tent "Fan Fest" evocative of a junior high school field day aren't makin' the nut), but... meh... it isn't wretched.

Date: March 22, 2005 04:18PM

let me clarify. I didn't intend to say that the entire facility was lousy, even though I did use those words. The playing surface appears to be lousy.

Posted by: dadeo (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2005 01:46PM

the ECAC HL has Cornell ECAC champions t-shirts and sweatshirts on their site?
Is Cornell Planning on making some of the same?

dave '02

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: March 23, 2005 04:24PM

Man, I'm slow at getting caught up with the message board.

I'm glad our hours of working on those signs weren't completely wasted. hehe

(And I must agree that the "Welch: 100% Fruit" was a good overrule of what I originally suggested. Thanks atb9 and DK ;).) There was also a "Fah-Q Hahvahd" sign should anyone want to use that in the future (should the guys I/we were with don't)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2005 04:36PM by Bio '04.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login