Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Important Sat. out-of-towns

Posted by Ken '70 
Important Sat. out-of-towns
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 10:06AM

Rock and a hard place. If Cornell wins tonight , the rock, there are two scenarios for a #1 seed (aka avoiding MN in Minneapolis):

- DU loses
- DU wins, but both BC and MN lose

The hard place: if Cornell loses, I haven't yet found scenario that clearly sends us west.

We'll know the MN result before faceoff. If they've won it's strictly up to CC who starts 30 minutes later than we do.

If DU is up, say, 4 - 0 as we enter the third period tied with Harvard, all you purists will still be rooting for Cornell to pull it out, and pack their bags for Minneapolis. If we lose we're in Amherst with either UNH or BC, along with (probably) OSU as our 1st round game and Colgate/Dartmouth/VT.

BTW, all six leagues have/had a 1 v 2 matchup in their championship game.

Re: Important Sat. out-of-towns
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 10:12AM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:
If DU is up, say, 4 - 0 as we enter the third period tied with Harvard, all you purists will still be rooting for Cornell to pull it out, and pack their bags for Minneapolis.[/q]

Sorry, are you actually saying that you, as a Cornell fan, would root for us to lose the ECAC Championship Game to Harvard for the sake of a better regional placement?
twitch uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2005 10:26AM

Plane ticket prices are up to almost $1000 :`(

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 11:40AM

The NCAA is a much more important tournament for teams like Cornell (those that have a national ranking and high expectations). Last year the ECAC championship was clearly the highest order of business going into the playoffs. Not so this year, nor in 2003.

The 2003 ECAC championship game was great, but even as that Harvard clearing shot, in the dying seconds before we tied up, was rolling on edge toward an open Cornell net, we all knew that there was another day and a real chance for a trophy of much greater importance even if it didn't veer off at the last.

If DU wins and Cornell stays close to home in a terrific bracket will I be unhappy about that result? Not particularly.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.solutionip.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:36PM

I'll accept that fate, but I don't see how we could ever *root* for it. It could be the silver lining, but not the goal.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.solutionip.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:49PM

I'll add one thing. I noticed that we *could* lose and still probably end up with a #1 seed, but *everything* else would have to go our way. BC, Minn, DU, and Mich would all need to lose.

One request... would someone be willing to text me the PWR at the end of tonight. I don't want to be in doubt all night long until we get back to the hotel. Private Message me and I'll give you my cell #. You wouldn't need to if it was an obvious situation - i.e. one of the ones at the top of this post, but if it was a slightly confusing one, I'd like to know. Thanks! Please text me in the next hour if you're willing, or else I won't be on a computer.

Edit: I'm all set!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2005 01:58PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:57PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote: Plane ticket prices are up to almost $1000[/q]So, let's drive.:-P

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 01:00PM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:

The NCAA is a much more important tournament for teams like Cornell (those that have a national ranking and high expectations). Last year the ECAC championship was clearly the highest order of business going into the playoffs. Not so this year, nor in 2003.

The 2003 ECAC championship game was great, but even as that Harvard clearing shot, in the dying seconds before we tied up, was rolling on edge toward an open Cornell net, we all knew that there was another day and a real chance for a trophy of much greater importance even if it didn't veer off at the last.

If DU wins and Cornell stays close to home in a terrific bracket will I be unhappy about that result? Not particularly.[/q]No way. No way. No way. The NCAAs may be the cherry, but the Whitelaw is the sundae. I don't care about seedings or placements or paths to the NCAA title on the day of the ECAC championship game. Particularly when it is against Harvard.

If our fate is that we have to beat Minnesota in Mariucci, so be it. This year the following teams won at Minnesota: Michigan Tech (x2), Duluth, Anchorage (x1.5) and the not-surprising Colorado College (x2). We can do it also.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 01:05PM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote: The 2003 ECAC championship game was great, but even as that Harvard clearing shot, in the dying seconds before we tied up, was rolling on edge toward an open Cornell net, we all knew that there was another day and a real chance for a trophy of much greater importance even if it didn't veer off at the last. [/q]
I, for one, can't stomach the thought of another Harvard ECAC championship.

Matter of fact, part of what drives me is the memory of the moment Ken describes above. Imagine waking up tomorrow morning to a Harvard fan saying this:

"I am so proud of Noah, Tommy, Dov and the gang. Welch's class will go down as one of the greatest HU classes ever! Watching Noah hoist that trophy was the bestest. If only for that rolling puck in 2003, this would be the first class of Fair Harvard Men to win the ECAC championship every single year! And to think our boys did it in New York State each year. In their house! I think I'll just run out into the Eliot courtyard and scream for joy. Where are my wool pleateds, anyway, Babs?"

Please, no.

I ain't afraid of Minneapolis.

Date: March 19, 2005 01:19PM

Find me. I'll be running YATC on my Palm as soon as we get scores :-P

Date: March 19, 2005 01:20PM

OK. We're taking your car then? :-D

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 01:26PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

OK. We're taking your car then?[/q]It's only 16 hours . Go for it.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 02:29PM

so here is what i am playing with :)

if the following happens
if cornell wins AND
1. bc loses - we have a #1 seed based on other games. we tie minne if bc loses and other things dont go our way but lose the h to h -> #2 seed. looks like michstate, uvm, michigan, mercyhurst games dont matter.
what matters is the cc/denver minne/nodak game
denver/cc game: cc wins(denver loss) and minne wins/loses/ties -> #2 overall
minne game: minne wins and denver wins -> #2 seed, minne wins and denver loses/cc wins #1 seed, minne loses and denver wins/cc loses -> #1 seed

2. denver loses: - #1 seed regardless i think.
bc game: bc wins and denver loses #3 overall regardless of other games. bc loses see above.
minne game: outcome doesnt matter if denver loses

3. minne loses: if minne loses we need help
bc game: as above if minne and bc lose -> #2 overall
denver game: minne + denver loss -> #1 seed

so this boils down to paths to #1 seed
1. denver loss + we win = #1 seed
2. bc loss + we win + minne loss = #1 seed (dont need bc + denver + minne to lose)
3. we win + minne loses + bc or denver loss = #1 seed

so as said above cheer for denver to lose! go CC!

so pretty much the same as the first post but i think for bc loss + we win + minne loss we get #1 seed no matter what denver does. they can win. *I think*

One last interesting tidbit
if this happens:
You have specified the following tournament results:
CCHA Championship game: Ohio State defeats Michigan.
CCHA Consolation game: Michigan State defeats Alaska-Fairbanks. (matters)
ECAC Championship game: Harvard defeats Cornell.
ECAC Consolation game: Colgate defeats Vermont. (doesnt matter)
Hockey East Championship game: New Hampshire defeats Boston College.
WCHA Championship game: Colorado College defeats Denver. (doesnt matter)
WCHA Consolation game: North Dakota defeats Minnesota.
Atlantic Hockey Championship game: Quinnipiac defeats Mercyhurst. (doesnt matter)

we are tied for #4 with uhn and minne and each teams wins one comparison against the other and it goes by RPI so we get #4 seed overall, uhn #5, minne #6. obviously i hope we dont lose.
LGR!

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 04:27PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Find me. I'll be running YATC on my Palm as soon as we get scores[/q]

How do you get YATC on your palm?

Date: March 19, 2005 05:10PM

new thread was made for the gophers sioux game
2-2 middle second

Date: March 19, 2005 06:40PM

note that we now HAVE to win in order to get a number one seed b/c MSU lost.
LGR! minne losing is huge. now cheer for bc and/or du to lose. and for us to win!
gonna go watch the game on satellite. lgr!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login