Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Thanks, John

Posted by Scersk '97 
Thanks, John
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 03:09AM

Since the advent of more rational methods for determining the NCAA field, anyone with a rudimentary understanding of math has realized that every game is crucially important in the seeding process. Through constant proselitizing by John, Adam, and others, and through the generally thoughtful analysis available on USCHO, I think the average, non-math-inclined fan now grasps this concept. Tying Yale on New Year's Eve is going to cost you somewhere down the line, and there's little use whining about it.

I think John's DIY scripting, enjoyed by us Cornellians for some time now, has made Cornell fans a bit "more" understanding than others. Damn the charges of elitism, we're some of the most knowledgable fans in college hockey, and we're respected for that in the community. It has caused many of us to open our eyes and ears, following hockey outside the provincial bounds of the ECAC(HL) because we realize that we are connected to a larger whole.

Yet this year, with the advent of the YATC script, the college hockey community at large has gotten a chance to enjoy what we have been enjoying for some time now. All fans involved have been twiddling that script to find out what their fate might be come Sunday. Tonight there are 256 permutations (2^8) left. I guarantee that collectively, we will go through each one. A Mercyhurst fan is trying to figure out who they'll play in the first round; a Minnesota fan is figuring out whether it will be Denver or CC in Mariucci; a Wisconsin fan is trying to figure out if they can avoid Cornell in the first round. This fan is trying to figure out how we can avoid Wisconsin.

I think that the greater awareness that these individual prognostications will create can only have a beneficial effect on college hockey. Personally, I know that I've never cared more about the WCHA championship game than this year. I'm sure there are WCHA fans who have discovered the ECAC(HL) for the first time and are beginning to understand what we find so great about our provincial little league. We care more about each puck that is flung at each net in each city where we have huddled together for our March ritual.

We care, we cheer, we get balled up into little fetal positions of terror at the possibilities. This year, that tension has ratcheted up a notch. We ponder, we prognosticate. We try to see the future. Thankfully, all that tension gets released quickly. It is a catharsis. Sports fandom is always about catharsis. God knows we need catharses.

I, personally, am very greatful to you, John, for the work you've done in fashioning these new tools as well as the work you and others have done in exposing the math behind the process. You've been surely supported by others, but a lot of the work over the years has fallen squarely on your shoulders. I hope I'm not embarassing you too much to say that I think what you've done is terribly good for college hockey, and I think you should be soundly commended for it. On a personal note, I had no idea that a wacky guy I met at the S(H)IT some years ago would end up doing such a great thing for the game that I love. Life is funny.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll end up going to Columbus where I can shake your hand in person.

Trying not to sound too much like "Goldie Knight,"
Scott "Scersk" Southard '97

Re: Thanks, John
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:29PM

I'll second that. This Forum and its contributers add markedly to my understanding and joy from CU hockey.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.solutionip.com)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:42PM

Great post. I'll clarify that the YATC script has been around for a while, probably longer than the DIY (??), but putting it on USCHO this year was a great move.

Posted by: CrazyLarry (---.pas-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 12:51PM

Great stuff, Scott. I'll especially second the thought about meeting John at that very memorable SIT.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 19, 2005 04:41PM

But I forgot about ties in consolation games. There were, actually, 864 permutations left. Gotta get the math right, you know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login