Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hobey Finalists...

Posted by French Rage 
Hobey Finalists...
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 17, 2005 12:53PM

...announced at 5 PM ET today.

Re: Hobey Finalists...
Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 12:55PM

ECACHL Awards at 7:00 tonight.

Posted by: KateWithThe8 (128.8.221.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:02PM

I'm sure someone will have posted this by the time I finish mine, but... :-)

"The Hobey Baker Foundation is proud to announce the ten finalists for the 2005 Hobey Baker Memorial Award: Reid Cashman, Quinnipiac; Patrick Eaves, Boston College; Dov Grumet-Morris, Harvard; T.J. Hensick, Michigan; David McKee, Cornell; Colin Murphy, Michigan Tech; Marty Sertich, Colorado College; Jordan Sigalet, Bowling Green; Brett Sterling, Colorado College; and Tuomas Tarkki, Northern Michigan."

Bios, etc. can be found at: [www.hobeybaker.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:07PM

[Q]KateWithThe8 Wrote:Jordan Sigalet, Bowling Green[/q]I hate to be a grinch, but this is BS. College Hockey isn't the Special Olympics; you don't get a medal just for showing up. I commend him for overcoming his ailment to be a very good college goalie, but he is a distant, distant third among nominated goalies and there are a lot of people in between McKee/Hyphen and Sigalet.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:11PM

Voting is now open. I was the first to vote for David; he's now tied for first with 5 points.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:14PM

Breakdown by conference:

WCHA: 3 (Sertich, Sterling, Murphy)
CCHA: 3 (Hensick, Tarkki, Sigalet)
ECACHL: 2 (McKee, Grumet-Morris)
Hockey East: 1 (Eaves*)
Atlantic Hockey: 1 (Cashman)

*Amusing bio picture: [www.hobeybaker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2005 05:14PM by Avash '05.

Posted by: Beeeej (68.160.255.---)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:14PM

Now leading in the very early voting, 30 votes to 18 for the second place vote-getter.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:25PM

Up to 35 after I voted.

By the way, I voted for the Quinnipiac guy and the Michigan Tech guy for 2nd and 3rd, so as not to give points to someone who might beat McKee.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:30PM

And Tuomas Tarkki of NMU soars into first by 30.

Date: March 17, 2005 05:32PM

[Q]Luke 05 Wrote:

And Tuomas Tarkki of NMU soars into first by 30.[/q]

Fix! Fix!

:-D

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:34PM

That's because someone on the NMU v Fairbanks score thread at USCHO posted the link to the announcement. I'm guessing NMU folks are seeing it there and then proceeding to vote.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:35PM

Correct me if I'm wrong...but McKee's bio says he has 10 shutouts on the year. Doesn't he only have 9?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:38PM

I just voted...he's currently third with 106 votes, behind Tarkki with 142 and Sigalet with 110. yark His pity party needs to stop.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:42PM

Four goalies out of the 10 finalists is the most since 1994, when there were also four (Neil Little, RPI; Jamie Ram, Michigan Tech; Dwayne Roloson, UMass-Lowell; Steve Shields, Michigan).

Edit: In defense of Sigalet, the official criteria (emphasis mine).

Hobey Baker Memorial Award Criteria

1. Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.

2. Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

3. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportmanship.

4. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university; and complete 50% or more of the season.

Strength of character is the first criterion listed. Sigalet has clearly displayed that in spades.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2005 05:46PM by jmh30.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 05:46PM

i agree when it comes to sigalet. his ability to overcome his ailment (even in its mildest form) should be applauded...but not with hobey baker consideration. he may be the best goal tender with multiple sclerosis, but he certainly is not the best college hockey player let alone the best goalie

Date: March 17, 2005 05:48PM

He qualifies for rule #1 (no Poofters!), but IMO not rule #2.

Date: March 17, 2005 06:03PM

And Sigalet now in first. Mckee a distant 4th

Date: March 17, 2005 06:14PM

What a @#$% joke.

Date: March 17, 2005 06:17PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
What a @#$% joke.[/q]You need to relax if you're that worked-up about the inevitable ballot-stuffing. :-P

Date: March 17, 2005 06:17PM

What a @#$% joke.[/q]

Not that I disagree, obviously, but seriously guys - for the most part, what we're complaining about is that Bowling Green has better organized their ballot box-stuffing than we have, however illegitimate we may think their reasons are. We've got eleven days to do better, so start doing better. E-mail everyone you can think of who would care.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 17, 2005 06:21PM

I demand my right to get pissed off over an irrelevant vote :-( :-( :-(

Sorry, my shrink changed my meds this week :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)

First of all, it was as inevitable as the local news always leading with a fire.

But really, I can't see why everbody's so pissed off. There is a scenery-chewing, baby-kissing (I wonder if that will get the accent?), resume-padding element to these kind of awards. Even if he wins (which IMHO is a distinct possibility) -- no big whup.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

[Q]jy3 Wrote: i agree when it comes to sigalet. his ability to overcome his ailment (even in its mildest form) should be applauded...but not with hobey baker consideration. he may be the best goal tender with multiple sclerosis, but he certainly is not the best college hockey player let alone the best goalie[/q]Nobody ever said the Hobey Baker goes to the best college hockey player. Reread the criteria.

Date: March 17, 2005 06:22PM

Sorry my shrink changed my meds this week [/q]

So are we. :-D

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 17, 2005 06:23PM

On the other hand, Hyphen is last in the voting.

I have way too much time between basketball sessions right now

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 06:46PM

Pretty impressive that the Q guy is a sophormore defenseman who led his league in scoring (all skaters) both in conference and overall. It'll be interesting to see how he fares next season when the Fighting Deerticks come to Lynah, et. al.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 07:42PM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

jy3 Wrote: i agree when it comes to sigalet. his ability to overcome his ailment (even in its mildest form) should be applauded...but not with hobey baker consideration. he may be the best goal tender with multiple sclerosis, but he certainly is not the best college hockey player let alone the best goalie[/Q]
Nobody ever said the Hobey Baker goes to the best college hockey player. Reread the criteria.[/q]I don't feel like looking it up, but I'll bet the Heisman has the same hooey about character and integrity and scholastic achievement, but they still give it to the best quarterback on a national title contender unless there is someone who they simply can't vote against at another position/school.

Sigalet has overcome a lot, but I don't think the list above is the relative importance of the criteria (certainly #4 is a prerequisite) and Sigalet isn't outstanding in net except insofar as being good enough to start for a Division I hockey team is outstanding.

I understand that the fan balloting is a ceramic dalmatian, but it is annoying all the same to see people voting with their wishes-to-think-of-themselves-as-kind.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 07:46PM

[q]I don't feel like looking it up, but I'll bet the Heisman has the same hooey about character and integrity and scholastic achievement, but they still give it to the best quarterback on a national title contender unless there is someone who they simply can't vote against at another position/school. [/q]Maybe so. But are there Heisman finalists who get there primarily on character issues? I don't follow college football enough to know if the process is similar. There's no reason yet to think that Sigalet will actually win the award. He may have simply gotten a lot of 9th or 10th place votes on the coach/media ballot due to his story, which in and of itself I don't have a problem with.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 08:26PM

[Q]Luke 05 Wrote:

On the other hand, Hyphen is last in the voting.

I have way too much time between basketball sessions right now[/q]

It's going to hurt McKee in the fan voting that two players from the ECAC are up for the award. But then again, Dov does play for Harvard; some ECAC fans may have a difficult time voting for a Cornell player over another ECAC player, except when the other ECAC player is from Harvard.

I just want to reiterate on eLynah that McKee had a higher save percentage in ECAC competition than Hyphen. So while Dov had a higher overall save percentage, McKee's stats including save percentage were better against the same competition.

Date: March 18, 2005 12:00AM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
I just want to reiterate on eLynah that McKee had a higher save percentage in ECAC competition than Hyphen. So while Dov had a higher overall save percentage, McKee's stats including save percentage were better against the same competition.[/q]And yet, when you factor in Hyphen's games against BU and BC, and McKee's games against Army and Canisius... uhoh

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:30AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:
I just want to reiterate on eLynah that McKee had a higher save percentage in ECAC competition than Hyphen. So while Dov had a higher overall save percentage, McKee's stats including save percentage were better against the same competition.[/Q]
And yet, when you factor in Hyphen's games against BU and BC, and McKee's games against Army and Canisius... [/q]

Well, a better, fairer assessment would be to compare McKee and Hyphen's games against common opponents, which means not only the ECACHL but BC and Maine as well, and also possibly not counting the Cornell vs. Harvard games since obviously McKee doesn't face Cornell shooters and Hyphen doesn't fact Harvard shooters. Someone else do the math on all of that; I'm too lazy. :-D

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:40AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:
I just want to reiterate on eLynah that McKee had a higher save percentage in ECAC competition than Hyphen. So while Dov had a higher overall save percentage, McKee's stats including save percentage were better against the same competition.[/Q]
And yet, when you factor in Hyphen's games against BU and BC, and McKee's games against Army and Canisius... [/Q]

Well, a better, fairer assessment would be to compare McKee and Hyphen's games against common opponents, which means not only the ECACHL but BC and Maine as well, and also possibly not counting the Cornell vs. Harvard games since obviously McKee doesn't face Cornell shooters and Hyphen doesn't fact Harvard shooters. Someone else do the math on all of that; I'm too lazy.[/q]

Gladly.

Subtracting the 2 Cornell/Harvard game stats, and adding the Cornell games against Boston College and Maine, as well as the Harvard games against Boston College (2) and Maine:

Grumet-Morris: .942 SV%
McKee: .939 SV%

Date: March 18, 2005 12:53AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
Gladly.

Subtracting the 2 Cornell/Harvard game stats, and adding the Cornell games against Boston College and Maine, as well as the Harvard games against Boston College (2) and Maine:

Grumet-Morris: .942 SV%
McKee: .939 SV%

[/q]

Yeah but if you round... :-P

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:42AM

Okay, we need to round up the McKee fan base, Morris is only 11 votes behind McKee in the Hobey voting. We have a better contingent than SUCKS!

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2005 08:55AM

[Q]Jim Hyla Wrote:

jy3 Wrote: i agree when it comes to sigalet. his ability to overcome his ailment (even in its mildest form) should be applauded...but not with hobey baker consideration. he may be the best goal tender with multiple sclerosis, but he certainly is not the best college hockey player let alone the best goalie[/Q]
Nobody ever said the Hobey Baker goes to the best college hockey player. Reread the criteria.[/q]

jim this is correct. in my postcall delirium i neglected the character and other criteria apart from skills. he deserves top 10 but maybe not #1. :)

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 09:48AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

ECACHL Awards at 7:00 tonight.[/q]

What came of the ECACHL Awards? We all have been so intrigued by the Hobey that we forgot about the ECACHL Awards. Does anybody know the winners?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2005 09:50AM

[elf.elynah.com]

Date: March 18, 2005 11:46AM

Hyphen is now ahead of Mckee. A sad day for Cornell hockey

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:04PM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but McKee's bio says he has 10 shutouts on the year. Doesn't he only have 9?[/q]
You're right unless they're counting McGill (exhibition) which shouldn't count. Plus he didn't play the whole game.

Date: March 18, 2005 12:14PM

[Q]Luke 05 Wrote:

Hyphen is now ahead of Mckee. A sad day for Cornell hockey[/q]

It's just fan voting...ECAC fans have a choice between a sophomore on a team they hate or a senior on a team they hate. Which choice would you make?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 18, 2005 12:22PM

or we could vote for a sophomore on a team that will be in the ECAC next year. (He got my third place vote.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login