Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Relaunch of Athletics Website

Posted by atb9 
Relaunch of Athletics Website
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:21PM

Check out the "updated" website for athletics...

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Here's the article on the relaunch

Re: Relaunch of Athletics Website
Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:26PM

Oy vey.

Is there anything they didn't try to shove on the home page?

If it ain't broke...
screwy

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:27PM

barf

The new features are kind of cool...but the layout on the main page makes me nauseous.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 04:28PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:38PM

Well, it's no busier than espn.com...I like it. And I know I'm biased. But I think it looks good and much more sophisticated than the old website.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:41PM

The rotating headlines are cool if you like shiny and sparkly objects but you have to spend a couple minutes there to see if a new story posted. Plus, what's going to rotate in and out over the summer?

More space for photos is nice but where is Cornell going with this: Will it post 10 photos of the hockey game an hour after the game? Or just have more chances to run the same stock photos: "David McKee: Standout in Goal"?

You'd think a non-profit like Cornell would have the strength to say no to blinking ads. Let alone those stupid pop up floating ads whose choices "close now" and "never show up again" seem not to register anywhere outside my mouse cable.

There's no poll right now, no chance to vote on things like: "Cornell will win Friday night, yes, no, not sure."

Speaking of messed up websites, earlier today ifyou went to the Syracuse website, you could not find anywhere on the home page the game time for the Syracuse basketball NCAA first round game. [www.suathletics.com] That should be rule #1: Put stuff there you know a lot of people want. Most Syracuse fans want to know what time is the Vermont game, just to make sure, and then if (when) Syracuse wins, what's the time of the second game.

[edit]The lacrosse link to gametracker works but the link to the audio didn't. (It does on the link at page-bottom to sign up for live audio.) Anyone else have that happen?

But yes the Cornell site does seem an improvement. Let's see how it wears over time.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 04:46PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:53PM

Keep in mind there are still some kinks to work out on both sides -- Cornell Athletics will need to fix some typos, College Sports Online will need to check hosted feeds...that sort of thing. Probably a lot of that going on tonight behind the scenes.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:53PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

The rotating headlines are cool if you like shiny and sparkly objects but you have to spend a couple minutes there to see if a new story posted. Plus, what's going to rotate in and out over the summer?[/q]Bill, use the "tape player" controls to either stop the rotating headlines, or scroll through them to the one you want.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:55PM

Personally I think it's lousy. At least the hockey page, and I that's the one I'm mostly concerned with. Not a great layout. Still missing a History section. I couldn't find a stats link after a quick check. Very commercial and busy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I don't think they pulled it off well.

Then again, the only time I go to the official web site is.... I don't know when I ever do. Between USCHO, collegehockeystats.net, eLynah and TBRW I can get all of the information I need/want more convienently.

Date: March 16, 2005 05:10PM

The media transport buttons are there but no instructions / hints either directly, as hover help, or by right clicking for those whose mice have right buttons. But as has been pointed out, the site is just now up and no matter how much you think these thing through, you're going to miss something.

Also missing (I believe): No easy way to contact sports information. For working press who don't have daily or weekly contact with Cornell, I think that's a fair request that Cornell's SID & assistants be accessible. That could be an option in the Contact Us box.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:14PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Well, it's no busier than espn.com...I like it. And I know I'm biased. But I think it looks good and much more sophisticated than the old website.
[/q]

Not that it's a justification of the billion things they cram onto the home page, but ESPN.com has a weeee bit more information to convey to readers than CornellBigRed.com does. Saying "our site is busy but so is ESPN's" is a poor point of comparison for a Ivy League Athletics site.

This just seems like a classic redesign for the sake of redesigning. Things aren't necessarily made easier; just different and busier and more "cutting edge" looking. And "easier navigation" doesn't have to mean putting as much stuff on the first page as possible.

Additionally, even throughout ESPN's redesigns, at least the last couple of times, no matter how they changed the "look" of the site or added additional info to the home page, the core menu on the left, Top Story in the middle, and headlines on the right, has changed very little in recent years. And I'm sure these are the only 3 items used by a vast majority of users, a vast majority of the time. The Cornell redesign, on the other hand, changes the arrangment of the most used information, the schedule and the top stories.

I'm ashamed that I just spend 10 minutes talking about the Cornell website redesign. Because to Keith's point, who really cares? It's the Cornell Athletics website.

Date: March 16, 2005 05:25PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:... who really cares? It's the Cornell Athletics website.[/q]It's Cornell's sports image to the outside world. Recruits will see it. Alumni who don't know about eLynah go there. If you're about to head out to the football game in New Haven, it's where you'd go to check the time and that it really is at Yale not Cornell before you set out from Pawtucket. And this is a Cornell that is quite image-conscious, as you may know if you've heard about all the time spent redesigning the Cornell logo.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:26PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
Is there anything they didn't try to shove on the home page?
[/q]

A direct link to Intramurals...:-(
It's the only thing I ever used that site for, and it's because I can never remember the website for Intramurals (bigred2.cornell.edu or something), while "cornellbigred.collegesports.com" with the drop down menu's "Intramurals" link was pretty easy.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:31PM

Half the front page is filled with ads, not substance. At least the annoying Netflix pop-up seems to have been deep-sixed. Is this the i-Drive of websites, Bill? ;-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:34PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Because to Keith's point, who really cares? It's the Cornell Athletics website.
[/q]

Well, obviously not you and Keith... ;-) It's not the ECACHL website! I don't go to the ECACHL website on my own.

I do go the Cornell Athletics website on my own to check schedules and reports on Football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, and Track and to get the link for the audio of the hockey games that I can't attend.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:45PM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:
Additionally, even throughout ESPN's redesigns, at least the last couple of times, no matter how they changed the "look" of the site or added additional info to the home page, the core menu on the left, Top Story in the middle, and headlines on the right, has changed very little in recent years. And I'm sure these are the only 3 items used by a vast majority of users, a vast majority of the time.[/q]It'd be nice if one of ESPN's redesigns could make it, I don't know, NOT CRASH.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:46PM

All I want is a get rid of the annoying ads button - including the CSTV BBall one on the RHS.

It's the same format as several other schools web pages, and IMO it's not very good. But you can be sure, they contracted out the web design for a large sum of money so they wouldn't have to employ anyone in Ithaca to do it.

Date: March 16, 2005 05:49PM

[q]I do go the Cornell Athletics website on my own to check schedules and reports on Football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, and Track and to get the link for the audio of the hockey games that I can't attend.[/q]If you're looking for info on other sports that aren't as well covered as college hockey then I can see why you'd go the official site. (I'm just as likely to look at ESPN for football/hockey on those rare occasions when I'm interested.) But for hockey there are plenty of better resources.

In fairness, the site is better than the absolute piece of s*** that existed back in '96 or '97, which prompted me to start a Cornell hockey website. I just don't think it's nearly as good as it could be. *shrug*

Date: March 16, 2005 06:09PM

Al - Pop-up ads and motion ads are seductive from the POV of the site developer because they're dynamic and they have the potential to generate more clicks / revenue. Cornell perhaps has dreams of pop-ups curing the athletics department deficit. Problem is, when every ad buzzes, waves, pops ups/flies around, or flashes, it's annoying as hell, and the viewer goes away. When even one ad does that, it's annoying. It's possible it's generational: people who grew up on MTV don't mind all the motion. People who remember flower power and free love may mind very much indeed.

Ooops, I just got hit by a pop-up. I clicked "Don't Show Again" and we'll see if that means "don't ever pop up this crap ever again or I'm withholding my check to the Cornell Fund" or "don't pop up this specific ad for the remainder of this session." [Two minutes later:] Must be the latter. A different ad flew in.

Too bad one of the My Big Red News options is: Nothing that's animated. Right now there's an annoying CSTV motion ad in a frame on the right plus the fly-arounds.

While we're pointing fingers at Cornell, the site appears to be handled by College Sports Online [www.collegesports.com] and that appears to be an affiliate of CSTV, and CSO says that it "designs [and] markets" web sites for colleges. To me, this would be one case where in loco parentis should be reinstituted on East Hill.

At page-bottom there is a feedback option: [cornellbigred.collegesports.com] I'm using it. But if the comments go to CSO not Cornell, then Cornell isn't hearing our concerns.

BMW's iDrive, the twirly dial on the console of the 7, 5, and soon 3 Series, is an example of what happens when brilliant engineers didn't seek outside input. Once you've spent a couple hundred hours with prototypes, it becomes second nature, but that wouldn't be very good for new owners. As a rough analogy to the pop-ups on the site, only with the 3 Series do you have a delete option, and that's by not order the navigation system, which is no great loss, because while it's decent, it's not in the same league as the Denso and Alpine systems on Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etcetera.

Enough. I think I've used my allotment of words for today.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:55PM

Why are our colors "red and black?"

Date: March 16, 2005 07:00PM

And defending our Cornellian colors, sadly, does not result in "Cornell, victorious to the end."

The accepted spelling of "Tee Fee Crane" has never been "Teefy." Man... utter lack of proofreading. It's not like these things are a matter of oral history: all they would have had to do was refer to "Songs of Cornell."
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 07:03PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.icsincorporated.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:04PM

I get those pop-ups that say "Never show again"...and I click that...and they still come back!!!! screwy

Date: March 16, 2005 07:08PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

[/q]

Dunno, but I wish we'd remove all the ugly black, blue, and silver/gray trim from our uniforms. Seems to me only hockey has it right: Carnelian and white. Period.

Date: March 16, 2005 07:13PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

Scersk '97 Wrote:

[/Q]
Dunno, but I wish we'd remove all the ugly black, blue, and silver/gray trim from our uniforms. Seems to me only hockey has it right: Carnelian and white. Period.[/q]

Yes, a new fan could be led astray by the trim on uniforms of the last few years.

I am also thankful that the hockey uniforms have remained inviolate.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:20PM

I'm going through the site tonight, page by page, and letting them know where the errors are -- and the red and black question is clearly one of them.

And yes, they know that I am dorking it out like this and are receptive to me doing so.

So at least very little will be factually incorrect or formatted wrong on the site after tomorrow, even if the website is still not to everyone's liking.

This is what happens when one has a severe head cold and a shiny new computer with which to play.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:29PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

All I want is a get rid of the annoying ads button - including the CSTV BBall one on the RHS.
[/q]

www.firefox.com :-D

Date: March 16, 2005 07:35PM

[q]www.firefox.com[/q]Yup. I don't have any idea what everyoneis complaining about.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:58PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

There's no poll right now, no chance to vote on things like: "Cornell will win Friday night, yes, no, not sure."

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 03/16/05 04:46PM by billhoward.[/q]

I see a poll. Same as the one from the old page. It's about wrestling and you need to click the vote button to get your choices. Look below the Pepsi ad and the the left of the link to the NCAA...

[QT] I-Drive fallacies
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:12PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
BMW's iDrive, the twirly dial on the console of the 7, 5, and soon 3 Series, is an example of what happens when brilliant engineers didn't seek outside input. Once you've spent a couple hundred hours with prototypes, it becomes second nature, but that wouldn't be very good for new owners. As a rough analogy to the pop-ups on the site, only with the 3 Series do you have a delete option, and that's by not order the navigation system, which is no great loss, because while it's decent, it's not in the same league as the Denso and Alpine systems on Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etcetera. [/q]
funny thing about BMW's I-Drive is that most people who trash-talk it have never even used it for 5 seconds. it's really not that difficult (honestly it’s not, i swear) you just have to take 15-30 minutes to actually learn how it works. seems yet another example of how the american auto consumer liked what they had and that new technology scares them out of their mind. i guess 15-30 minutes of reading/experimenting is just too much to ask these days screwy
BMW was just the first to market with their system and competitors Audi, Saab and Ford have either added or plan to add similar systems to their vehicle lineups.
/rant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 09:18PM by ben03.

Re: [QT] I-Drive fallacies
Date: March 16, 2005 09:27PM

[OT] If you can make iDrive work well in 15-30 minutes then you can explain this thing about matter sometimes becoming energy and giving off a lot of heat and noise as well.

I have 5,000 miles on iDrive in five different BMWs dating back to July 2001 in both U.S and European models and only now do I feel comfortable with it. The simplified four-not-eight-ways 5 Series controller is marginally easier. Voice input helps only some. In the very first models, pushing a CD in the CD slot didn't play the CD, it stored it, and you had to invoke iDrive to help you navigate from FM to CD. (Why you see more radio controls on the dash now than in 2001.) To zoom in on a nav map you still have to turn the knob counter-clockwise which is against most people's (not all) common sense and against the better judgments of many of the BMW engineers who worked on it. The titanium or aluminum billet the knob is machined from looks gorgeous but is incredibly slippery.

Audi MMI is superior by virtue of having 12 pre-fetch buttons arrayed around its controller and little genius touches such as a roller wheel on the steering wheel for volume, and slapping the radio power button next to the MMI controller mutes the audio if, say, you come to a busy intersection. The only letdown is the Audi button marked NET doesn't fetch email; it activates OnStar.

Acura's controller in RL is nice but it's not quite to the same level as the BMW or Audi but you don't notice it because the car is otherwise so sensatonal.

But yes, as you say, this is the way the world is going. The other automakers are greatful to BMW for giving it the old collge try.

And what do you think of active steering?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:32PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
And what do you think of active steering? [/q]
not a fan ... gimme an unassisted '91 M3 and i'm happy as a clam :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 09:39PM by ben03.

Date: March 16, 2005 09:34PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:It's the same format as several other schools web pages, and IMO it's not very good. But you can be sure, they contracted out the web design for a large sum of money so they wouldn't have to employ anyone in Ithaca to do it.[/q]It is offputting to be browsing the Web and see what looks like the Cornell site but halfway across the country in, say, Jayhawk blue-and-crimson. When you run a production line of 150 college sports websites as CSO does, you perhaps get some economies of scale. But you run out of 150 different ways to display the site info.

It's growing on me a bit. I see the poll I missed before. A lot of the ads have been pushed all the way to bottom, but the fly-in keeps coming back. There appears to be more interest in using photos. OTOH: There is currently no home page report on the lacrosse game unless you click first on lacrosse news or overall Cornell Schedule (but not overall Cornell Results); that's probably one of those early teething things.

Date: March 16, 2005 10:15PM

Active steering (turns more per 1/4 turn of the wheel at lower speed than high speed) on the new (E90) 3 Series is supposed to be better. Meanwhile a current E46 330i coupe is going to be as fast as a 14-year-old E30 M3, if not anywhere as exclusive, and not as hard on your fillings or wallet. A lot of people who buy M3's (say the ones who cashed in stock options) don't realize that "sport suspension" to Germans means "track suspension" not "rallye stripes" and they stick it out for about three years just so their wife or girlfriend won't yell at them for making a dumb mistake.

Trying to circle back to the topic surrounding us, what do you think of the BMW Owners' Circle part of bmwusa.com?

(Al, it's all your fault to bringing up iDrive. Al and I both have Odysseys as first or second cars and no one argues much about them.)

Date: March 16, 2005 10:40PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
(Al, it's all your fault to bringing up iDrive. Al and I both have Odysseys as first or second cars and no one argues much about them.) [/q]
I'll just point out that in the latest rankings of customer satisfaction among German car owners, Honda is #3, Porsche #8, BMW #11, Audi #26, VW #31, and M-B #32. Out of 33 (with Land Rover upholding the Brit legacy in the cellar).

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 02:09AM

I wish designers of these corporate websites would follow one simple rule:
Keep It Simple, Stupid.

The large majority of websites I visit, I do so for one reason: to find information and find it quickly. This includes quick download and display time, good organization and navigation, and cross-platform compatibility. I don't care about eye candy. I don't need to look at shiny objects. Just because browser technology is becoming more powerful and versitile doesn't mean you have to utilize it all.

I look at the Athletics and ESPN sites and can only think of Homer Simpson's first website (before he became Mr. X) that was just cluttered with useless, loud, annoying, stolen graphics from other websites. Dancing Jesus, worms, alarm clocks, bells, disembodied, flapping lips, toasters all over the place. That's what espn.com and now cornellbigred.com have become to me.

I put up with the little-by-little noise-addition on espn.com for a while. Then the breaking point happened after they started intrusively commanding me to download "ESPN Motion" every day. Screw that. I resized my browser window for a while to ignore the RHS "content." I even started regularly using the "Lite" version. (Currently found at [sports.espn.go.com] but coded very poorly...many links are broken on the latest changeover). Then a few months ago, I just went cold turkey. I get my major sports news from Yahoo!. They list the news stories without the hype and self-promotion espn has decided to go to.

And while I'm at it, with the expansion of WAP-enabled phones, and wireless PDAs, the sleeker, and smaller format content is delivered, the better. I checked the QF scores from Reno/Tahoe using eLF on a Handspring Treo. It was easy. Good luck pointing a mobile device at the new cornellbigred.com.

Date: March 17, 2005 11:31AM

Gosh Rich, what are you saying? That the web should be about an efficient transfer of information? What a novel concept!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2005 11:31AM by KeithK.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:41AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Gosh Rich, what are you saying? That the web should be about an efficient transfer of information? What a novel concept!
[/q]
Hey now, don't go crazy. If the web were supposed to be useful, we wouldn't be on here all day long ;)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 04:05PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Once you've spent a couple hundred hours .... it becomes second nature, but that wouldn't be very good for new owners. [/q]

Like unix?

Like keyboards?

Like programing a vcr?

Like installing software in windows?

Like plenty of other consumer products?

Only one interface - the nipple - is intuitive. Everything else is learned.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 04:16PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
(Al, it's all your fault to bringing up iDrive. Al and I both have Odysseys as first or second cars and no one argues much about them.) [/Q]
I'll just point out that in the latest rankings of customer satisfaction among German car owners, Honda is #3, Porsche #8, BMW #11, Audi #26, VW #31, and M-B #32. Out of 33 (with Land Rover upholding the Brit legacy in the cellar).[/q]

But how much of the poor satisfaction among VW, Audi and MB owners is due to supply chain problems/bad parts from Bosch.

Audi and VW 1.8Ts both had serious issues with BOSCH coilpacks.

VW TDIs had serious issues with flakey BOSCH mass airflow sensors. Dunno if Audi TDIs had the same problems since they aren't sold here.

Mercedes has had issues with failing BOSCH ignition modules.

Notice a trend? Hint:5 letters, starts with a B?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login