Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

SUCKS or Toothpaste

Posted by aznxjz 
SUCKS or Toothpaste
Posted by: aznxjz (128.84.16.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:22PM

Just wondering which team you guys will be voting for?

Harvard vs. Colgate?

Re: SUCKS or Toothpaste
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:26PM

I will find it hard to root for either of those teams. I won't find it hard to root for them to beat the crap out of each other...fight...get some game disqualifications, etc. But to actually root for one of them to win? I'm not sure I can do it.
Andy W.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:27PM

Harvard. I want to see a Cornell-Harvard Final because I think they're the two best teams and obviously huge rivals. Additionally, I think Colgate is more dangerous than Harvard with nine seniors and more offensive punch. Harvard is very similar to Cornell but with less offense and not as potent on special teams. I really like that matchup for Cornell more than Colgate. Even though Cornell had a better record against Colgate, I thought the two teams were very even and that either one of the games could have gone either way. In both games against Harvard, I thought Cornell was clearly the superior team. The second time they played, Cornell learned a ton about themselves and I like to think of that game and the next game at Union as the general turning point in the season.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:31PM

Deep down I want Harvard to do whatever Cornell does in the semi's so we get to play them. ;-)

Realistically, I'll probably be rooting for Colgate since I find it nearly impossible to root for Harvard within the ECAC and I wouldn't mind seeing another ECAC team in the NCAA's.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 11:17PM

the teams both have postseason aspirations, so look for no game dq's or anything. i expect the consolation game, whomever it entails, to play just as a championship game would too.

colgate won both off harvard this year, but harvard is clicking as the better team. conventional wisdom seems to have harvard-cornell in the champs too. all rivalries aside, i would rather see us play a team that is easier to beat. i agree with ari that we are better off against harvard due to the special teams battle. i see that game going down as 1-0 or something. in the harvard loss, our defense was amazing, our offense just didn't show up to play. i think our offense has only gotten better since then, and the d is still the same great squad. hyphen may be "playoff tested" but he must get shivers every time he sees us step on the ice. the trauma of playing cornell in the finals in albany after paolini's goal may keep him a bit off his game.

it reminds me of the faithful watching the dartmouth-harvard game after we beat brown in '03. harvard was ahead so cornell fans started cheering with the dartmouth fanbase (including the crazy penalty shot goal by dc), but when harvard finally put it away, the cornell fans immediately reminded everyone "harvard sucks, harvard sucks."

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:46AM

The best moments of cheering for dartmouth came when harvard fans were questioning our cheering for darthmouth: "your team isnt even playing right now!"

They were really ignorant enough to forget that we don't like harvard.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:50AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

The best moments of cheering for dartmouth came when harvard fans were questioning our cheering for darthmouth: "your team isnt even playing right now!"

They were really ignorant enough to forget that we don't like harvard.[/q]

harvard fans?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:55AM

The pathetic few.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:10AM

Most everyone wants to play - and beat - Harvard because Harvard is Harvard. Harvard is the pretty girl who wouldn't date you, the boy two blocks away with family money who never had to rake leaves or babysit to pay for his Boxster in high school, the school that wouldn't let you in. (This apparently is how some Clarkson fans see us.) Plus it's a pretty good hockey school.

Colgate is our upstate New York State neighbor and you want people around you to do well, just as you'd root for Syracuse in basketball because they're local, if it came down to Syracuse vs. say Georgia. (It would have been nice if Cornell had held up its end of the winter 2003 NCAA chamspionships.)

Colgate or Harvard? This is like in lacrosse, do you root for the Orange or for Princeton: One carries the glory of upstate New York, the other is part of our league. You just don't wish Princeton too much luck because they're recruiting more the same player vs. us than Syracuse vs. us.

If Harvard goes places in the NCAA hockey, then it's good for all of college hockey because a bunch of small papers sit up, take notice, and run those "They really are *student*-athletes" stories.

For hockey, I think the order of Cornell fan rooting / playing-against / wishing sucess-but-not-at-our-expenses should be

1. Cornell
2. Ivy League
3. New York State (starting with upstate (in case say Fordham goes D1)
4. ECACHL
5. Eastern hockey
6. Academically good schools
7. Small schools that are a combination of the above

You should also have a soft spot for small schools that excel in a sport, such as Hopkins in lacrosse or Colorado College in hockey (or Union). It's not writ in stone that you have to have 10,000 students to be great in one sport. Plus, if the NCAA doesn't like the idea, that's reason enough to like the idea.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:08AM

Harvard is the evil empire who denied your favorite (female) cousin tenure in the business school while promoting several less qualified males and then had a convenient fire in the records department just before the suit was due to come to trial. :-( :-(

No doubt in my mind. Go 'Gate!

Oh, and by the way...Hahvahd Sucks!

Syracuse v. Princeton
Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 09:19AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Colgate or Harvard? This is like in lacrosse, do you root for the Orange or for Princeton: One carries the glory of upstate New York, the other is part of our league. You just don't wish Princeton too much luck because they're recruiting more the same player vs. us than Syracuse vs. us.. [/q]

Princeton, but only barely. Syracuse lacrosse (and more specifically their fans) defines hubris. I grew up watching great SU players like Zulberti, the Gaits, Marachek, and Lockwood, but SU fans are just so irritatingly smug. Plus, they lack any sense of history - they're too quick to forget that CNY was a great recruiting ground in the 80s due to Cornell's success in the 70s. It'll be interesting to see how they react this season.

Conversely, Tierney is the Mike Schafer of lacrosse, only better: a brillant system with flawless execution. He may not be able to fill his entire roster with bluechips, to use the hockey term, but Princeton certainly has had plenty of success with good players and great coaching. Still, SU run n' gun is a lot easier for the average fan to enjoy. Plus, you gotta like the Ivy boys puttin' a whuppin' on the scholarship meat.

That all having been said, you can't root for Princeton too hard, if only because you'd like to see Cornell retake the lead in number of National Titles someday. In fact, Cornell has the 4th highest NCAA tourney win percentage (.606) behind Princeton (.765), Syracuse (.733) and Hopkins (.667). I suspect that Princeton win-pct has got to be close to an NCAA record across all DI sports.

Of course, making up the 3 title deficit looked much more promising before Dave Pietramala left for the head job at his alma mater. (For people that don't know lacrosse, Pietramala is considered the best defenseman in the history of the game.)

Given all that, it was really easy to root for Navy last year... :)

Date: March 16, 2005 09:25AM

Like Harvard is the only college or university with bizarre hiring and promotions practices. It should get better in Cambridge: Despite sticking his foot in his mouth, Lawrence Summers seems to be a breath of fresh air for Harvard. And if he's not, by virtue of having gotten embroiled in the controversy (the rest of his remarks seemed reasonable if not his remarks in their entirety), he now has to be really vigilant to make sure the Summers era is truly open to women. That one faux pas may pay immense dividends.

But a fire? That's creative. You'd think being on the banks of the Charles, it would have been a flood.

Re: Syracuse v. Princeton
Date: March 16, 2005 09:30AM

For those who saw or at least recall Cornell lacrosse going back to the Harkness years and getting screwed on national championships because it was a poll favoring schools in Baltimore and points south until the first (1971) NCAA playoff, a) Bill Tierney at Princeton deserves incredible amounts of credit and b) it's galling to read about the history of Ivy lacrosse being Princetong greatness since 1990 and years of darkness before that. Cornell won three of the first eight NCAA titles, came close twice in the 1980s, and had the playoffs started when Ned was coaching in the late 1960s, maybe there would have been at least one more. Ned and Richie Moran started the Ivy League legacy, not Bill Tierney.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:17AM

Harvard...9-8...in 5th OT

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:35AM

My general rule is root for Harvard in non-conference games out of conference loyalty, but root against them when it's in the family, so to speak. The ECAC tournament isn't non-conference for these purposes, so go (Red) Raiders!

The only reason I would root for Harvard in their semi would be if they needed to win that game to get an at large bid. Then conference loyalty might win out. But since Harvard is likely in regardless (USCHO contest notwithstanding) this isn't an issue.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.rtp.epa.gov)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:42AM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

Harvard...9-8...in 5th OT[/q]

"In a game for the ages, Colgate and Harvard score 16 goals between them in 60 minutes of regulation hockey. After that, the scoring runs dry, with the Crimson finally notching the 17th goal of the evening after nearly 100 minutes of scoreless overtime."

Date: March 16, 2005 12:00PM

No way.

I don't want either of them thinking they can score, and I don't want anybody from either team, especially Sucks, going into any kind of statistical record books.

4-3 in double OT. The GAA is high enough to hurt both goalies' GAAs, but no teams go in the record books except possibly for futility.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:09PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

No way.

I don't want either of them thinking they can score, and I don't want anybody from either team, especially Sucks, going into any kind of statistical record books.

4-3 in double OT. The GAA is high enough to hurt both goalies' GAAs, but no teams go in the record books except possibly for futility.[/q]

By the time it got to 5-5 both sieves would've been pulled.

Date: March 16, 2005 12:12PM

Good point.

OK, 9-8 double OT works for me. nut

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:27PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

My general rule is root for Harvard in non-conference games out of conference loyalty, but root against them when it's in the family, so to speak. The ECAC tournament isn't non-conference for these purposes, so go (Red) Raiders!
[/q]
I'm with Keith. Harvard is creeping up on us in terms of ECAC championships, and I'd like to see the gap not close any further.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:40PM

I found rationalizing my rooting interests prior to the games rarely has had any effect on my emotional response. Once you're in the building and the blood gets pumping, I can't control who I'm pulling for. It just happens. I remember going into the 2002 regionals flaunting the usual "Go ECAC" facade, but once the puck was dropped, I found myself hoping for Cantab humiliation.

Out-of-town games that I'm not watching are a different beast, especially knowing the numbers that would help my team. I'm a big Maine fan this week!

Date: March 16, 2005 01:04PM

Let's see Harvard-Colgate both score and give up a lot of goals. If the hyphen gives up eight goals this weekend (two game total) while maintaining his average of about 29-30 saves a game, that would drop him out of the lead in save percentage should those just behind him maintain their current ratios.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:07PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

I found rationalizing my rooting interests prior to the games rarely has had any effect on my emotional response. Once you're in the building and the blood gets pumping, I can't control who I'm pulling for. It just happens. I remember going into the 2002 regionals flaunting the usual "Go ECAC" facade, but once the puck was dropped, I found myself hoping for Cantab humiliation.

Out-of-town games that I'm not watching are a different beast, especially knowing the numbers that would help my team. I'm a big Maine fan this week![/q]
Actually, BU or UNH winning the title would help us more, although yes, definitely Maine over BC on Friday.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:30PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

I found rationalizing my rooting interests prior to the games rarely has had any effect on my emotional response. Once you're in the building and the blood gets pumping, I can't control who I'm pulling for. It just happens.[/q]

You mean like going to the Minnesota-BU series and discovering I was rooting for BU?
help

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

NCAAs? Toothpaste
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.town.ipswich.ma.us)
Date: March 16, 2005 02:39PM

Playing Colgate in the final presents more options for eastern ice in the NCAAs than Harvard. There are several scenarios where we lose to Colgate in Final but still get #1 seed. Fewer if we lose to Harvard.

I'm a big Colgate fan on Friday.

Re: NCAAs? Toothpaste
Date: March 16, 2005 02:51PM

Is that because Colgate winning keeps Brown a TUC and we get two more TUC wins?

Date: March 16, 2005 03:18PM

Is that because Colgate winning keeps Brown a TUC and we get two more TUC wins?[/q]
No, Colgate would have to win twice to keep Brown a TUC. Which is while I'll root for Colgate on Friday. Having them in the final (hopefully against us) would mean that even if we were to lose to them in the final, there's the 'upside' of it keeping Brown a TUC.

Losing to Harvard would likely hurt more because there's a greater chance it could flip the comparison between us & Harvard, as it would give them an additional H2H win. That, plus flipping RPI, would give Harvard the comparison. Its just a guess, but it makes the most sense to me.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 03:30PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Is that because Colgate winning keeps Brown a TUC and we get two more TUC wins?[/Q]
No, Colgate would have to win twice to keep Brown a TUC. Which is while I'll root for Colgate on Friday. Having them in the final (hopefully against us) would mean that even if we were to lose to them in the final, there's the 'upside' of it keeping Brown a TUC.

Losing to Harvard would likely hurt more because there's a greater chance it could flip the comparison between us & Harvard, as it would give them an additional H2H win. That, plus flipping RPI, would give Harvard the comparison. Its just a guess, but it makes the most sense to me.[/q]

Okay, but on the positive side, does Cornell benefit more from winning the tournament against Harvard or Colgate in the final game?

Date: March 16, 2005 04:00PM

I haven't looked extensively, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference.

Both would count as 1 TUC win and the RPIStrength of the two teams are very similar (.6373 vs. .6340). The only other difference it would make would be COp. Colgate doesn't seem to have any COp of interest. Harvard does, and that would be BC and BU. But we already win the COp with both those teams, so winning isn't a help, while losing could be a hurt.

So there we go, trying to analyze the difference in winning I came up with nothing significant, while I found another reason it would be better to lose to Gate than Sucks (because losing to Sucks makes us lose the COp with BC while Gate doesn't effect it).

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 04:21PM

Assuming that by the time they drop the puck for semi #2 we care*, Harvard is probably the better team, so Go 'Gate.

*I understand that there could be some ramifications from the outcome of the consy if we are in it. I don't care about them. If we lose the ECACHL championship my focus will immediately turn to where Cornell is placed in the first round of the NCAAs, but not what the other games mean. I'll just nod when I hear where we are going.

Date: March 16, 2005 04:57PM

[q] Assuming that by the time they drop the puck for semi #2 we care*[/q]Well, I will still care for certain, because in my tape-delayed version of the universe Cornell plays the late game. Of course, I won't be watching the Harvard-Colgate semi as a result anyway... :-/

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:00PM

Since neither Harvard nor Colgate are likely to win any popularity contets with Cornell fans, wouldn't it be more fun just to trivialize both schools at the same time? My suggestion: fake Harvard and Colgate signs to tape to your Cornell regalia. Assign a group to Harvard, assign a group to Colgate, and have fun yelling at each other during the game. Buddy up and make the losers buy the winners a beer.

This chicanery leads to all kinds of amusing chanting:

"Hey Harvard, we hate you, but, for the purposes of this game, win so that we get free beer!"
"Win us beer, win us beer!"
"Safety fans!" (Both groups chanting at each other, of course.)
"Cornell rejects!" (Towards the Colgate group.)
"Oxbridge rejects!" (Towards the Harvard group.)

Of course, this comes on top of all the other, more traditional chanting:

"Ties are good! Ties are good!"
"Fight! Fight! Fight!" (Anytime the players get anywhere close to a dust-up.)
"Double overtime! Clap, clap--clap, clap, clap." (Done in the first period.)
"Goalie fight! Goalie fight!"

Remember, the goal is to make the game all about our amusing antics, showing up the Harvard and Colgate fans by being more creative and funny about the game than they, the participants, are. For reference: [www.amurgsval.org]

Sadly, I won't be there, or I would instigate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2005 05:02PM by Scersk '97.

Date: March 16, 2005 05:04PM

[q]Since neither Harvard nor Colgate are likely to win any popularity contets with Cornell fans, wouldn't it be more fun just to trivialize both schools at the same time?[/q]Yes, this should go without saying. If you are fortunate enough to be at the games make it a point to make fun of both teams and get on both Dov and Silverthorn.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 05:07PM

*points with both hands*
SIEVES SIEVES SIEVES SIEVES!

Date: March 16, 2005 05:50PM

Then there's the ever popular "It just doesn't matter" cheer from Meatballs.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 06:01PM

No way.

[/q]

LOL. If they go 5 OTs on Friday, regardless of how many goals they get, they'll be lucky to even be able to skate on Saturday, much less score. It'd be akin to that Monty Python soccer game skit, where one team is made up of one-legged Long John Silver impersonators.

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 07:43PM

Then there's the ever popular "It just doesn't matter" cheer from Meatballs.[/q]

Isn't that for the consy?

Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:19PM

Harvard can't flip the comparison with Cornell, so that's not an issue.

Colgate's benefit is mostly in case we lose. There are far more good results losing to them than Harvard. And no fewer if we win.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:25PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Most everyone wants to play - and beat - Harvard because Harvard is Harvard. Harvard is the pretty girl who wouldn't date you, the boy two blocks away with family money who never had to rake leaves or babysit to pay for his Boxster in high school, the school that wouldn't let you in. (This apparently is how some Clarkson fans see us.) Plus it's a pretty good hockey school.
. [/q]

Bill, As a Clarkson man.........I will not disagree with you......, You always want to beat the best, but the easier route for you guys is -------toothpaste. Never root for the evil empire......... come hell or high water.

Don't look past Vermin Catamounts.
However, I am rooting for the 'paste....I think you match up better against them than hahvahd.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:37PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
Then there's the ever popular "It just doesn't matter" cheer from Meatballs.[/Q]
[/q]
Yeah, don't do that during semifinal 2. It could easily be interpreted as "we'll beat either of you easily", which could most certainly be woofing in the eyes of the gods of such.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2005 08:43PM

I could see someone doing

"Both Teams"

"SUCK"

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:06PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Then there's the ever popular "It just doesn't matter" cheer from Meatballs.[/Q]
[/q]

Along with "Which team is the Third Place Team?"/"Which team is the Fourth Place Team?" once the outcome is decided.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: aznxjz (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 01:47AM

i missed albany two years ago...this weekend should be a riot. Too bad the entire A - G sections of lynah won't be there (minus C of course....) My seats at the FF was so high I was almost in Canada...

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2005 09:50AM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

i missed albany two years ago...this weekend should be a riot. Too bad the entire A - G sections of lynah won't be there (minus C of course....) My seats at the FF was so high I was almost in Canada...[/q]
Ahem. A good chunk of section A will be there.

Date: March 17, 2005 11:44AM

I didn't think it was appropriate to mention 3rd place/4th place until it was certain that we wouldn't be either....

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:52AM

yeah, I think jtw was talking about during the consy assuming we're not in it
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2005 11:54AM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2005 11:58AM

[Q]aznxjz Wrote:

Too bad the entire A - G sections of lynah won't be there (minus C of course....) [/q]

Hey, watch it, bud. Some of us from C are just as loud and, at times, obnoxious as anyone in A-G. And many of us will be there, probably standing shoulder to shoulder with you. That's one of the great things about games on the road.
Andy W.

Date: March 17, 2005 02:14PM

I know. Let me clarify. I meant that I had thought about posting the 3rd/4th cheer, but decided not too until we won our semi. Superstition or eating crow, whatever.

Posted by: AKMer (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2005 02:52PM

Hey, this section D'er will be there...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login