Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Goalie for next year

Posted by pfibiger 
Goalie for next year
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:23PM

Looks like we've picked up a goalie for next year:

from the Fargo-Moorhead Jets website (old news in the google cache)

Former Jets goaltender Dan DiLeo (St. Louis, MO) announced this week that he has verbally
committed to the Cornell University. The Cornell men’s hockey team is Division
I and plays in the ECACHL. Cornell is regularly one of the top 15
teams in the nation. In addition, the institution is considered one of the “IVY” League Schools. DiLeo becomes the
first 2004-2005 Jets player to announce his post-juniors intentions.

from stltoday.com (from a few weeks ago):

Dan Dileo has signed a letter of intent with Cornell University, ranked No. 2 in Division I hockey. Dileo played hockey through his junior year at St. Louis University High School before moving to play junior level hockey in Wisconsin and then Fargo, North Dakota.

He currently plays for the Wichita Falls Wildcats:
[www.wfwildcatshockey.com]

His stats for both teams this year:
[www.pointstreak.com]

Here's an article about him:
[www.timesrecordnews.com]

Re: Goalie for next year
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:53PM

[q]In addition, the institution is considered one of the “IVY” League Schools.[/q]I'm glad to hear that. Who decides this I wonder? Was Colgate considered?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (68.173.11.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:13PM

21 year old freshman?

Oldest guy I remember as a senior in recent years was Ladouceur, at 24 or 25? I could be wrong...

Date: March 14, 2005 06:15PM

Ladouceur was a 21 year old freshman.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.music.cornell.edu)

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

21 year old freshman?

Oldest guy I remember as a senior in recent years was Ladouceur, at 24 or 25? I could be wrong...

[/q]

It's pretty common for other teams anyways, Clarkson had quite a few 24+ on their roster.

He was born 9-10-84

Doug Krantz was born 9-22-83

so i guess he'll be marginally older freshman, but about the same. I remember thinking last year that Krantz was going to be a pretty old freshman :)

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:27PM

As long as you don't turn 21 before New Year's Eve, you are eligible to play juniors that season. That is, 84's can play this season, 85's next season. In order to be as mature as possible, a lot of players use all of their junior eligibility, so going to college to play at 21 is actually quite common. Of course, this is not the case with the Phil Kessels of the world because they get scooped up quickly.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:12PM

not very impressive stats. why did he change teams mid season?

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:21PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

not very impressive stats. why did he change teams mid season?[/q]

Well, dunno why he changed, but was defnitely to a better team so thats gotta mean something. Plus, his W/L is pretty good; what's normally good SVP/GAA stats for juniors?

Edit: Nevermind, had the teams backwards...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 09:23PM by French Rage.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:23PM

As long as we get to make signs that say "What's the DiLeo"!!!

Date: March 14, 2005 09:27PM

Sv% doesn't seem bad. It's hard to compare GAA without a better knowledge of scoring in the league. Keep in mind that this kid would be the second/third goalie on the team, with McKee a junior and Chabot a senior. Even if he's not a great goalie, I could easily imagine Schafer bringing in a capable backup type guy with the intention of recruiting a more talented guy next year, who would start at Cornell when McKee is a senior.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:30PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote: not very impressive stats. why did he change teams mid season?[/q]David LeNeveu brought a 3.30 GAA average with him from Nanaimo. He improved, or rather his numbers improved.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:31PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

In addition, the institution is considered one of the “IVY” League Schools.[/Q]
I'm glad to hear that. Who decides this I wonder? Was Colgate considered?[/q]

Colgate is considered Fluoridated, not Ivied!

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:34PM

He left Moorhead-Fargo because he was splitting time with the other goalie, and he wanted to go somewhere where he could get most of the minutes, to prove himself to D-I scouts, according to that article. I guess it worked.

You can see all goalie stats for the NAHL here:

[www.pointstreak.com]

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:52PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I could easily imagine Schafer bringing in a capable backup type guy with the intention of recruiting a more talented guy next year, who would start at Cornell when McKee is a senior.[/q]

The way Lenny was the man his So. year & the way David has become the man from day 1 of his Fr. year, Cornell should be in the position of bringing in one of the top goalie prospects the year after David graduates.

I remember reading an article about Al Montoya that said he went to Michigan because they had the reputation of taking the best Fr. and giving him the job for 4 years, no alternating goalies. Montoya even said that he acclerated his high school graduation because Michigan was going to have an opening and he knew that was his shot.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:54PM

i guess itsjust hard to see a 91% svp and 2.98 gaa and think good after being spoiled with lenny and mckee the last few years. i'm sure hed a fine goalie.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 11:28PM by The Rancor.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:58PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

KeithK Wrote:

I could easily imagine Schafer bringing in a capable backup type guy with the intention of recruiting a more talented guy next year, who would start at Cornell when McKee is a senior.[/Q]
The way Lenny was the man his So. year & the way David has become the man from day 1 of his Fr. year, Cornell should be in the position of bringing in one of the top goalie prospects the year after David graduates.

I remember reading an article about Al Montoya that said he went to Michigan because they had the reputation of taking the best Fr. and giving him the job for 4 years, no alternating goalies. Montoya even said that he acclerated his high school graduation because Michigan was going to have an opening and he knew that was his shot. [/q]

I expect the next great Cornell goalie to be a freshman in 2007 and see some time like LeNeveu did as a freshman. If all had gone to plan, McKee probably would have been caddy to Marr as a freshman. I don't think the coaching staff wants to ride a kid as a freshman as they did McKee last year and would rather they had him eased in as a freshman to ultimately take over as a sophomore. McKee was great last year, but he was probably overworked and he really struggled in the playoffs.

Date: March 14, 2005 10:00PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

i guess itsjust hard to see a 91% svp and 2.98 gpg and think good after being spoiled with lenny and mckee the last few years. i'm sure hed a fine goalie.[/q]

As someone else said, it's really difficult to look at a goalie's junior stats and try to project how good he might be. I do think this guy will be a backup, but I don't think that because of his numbers. I think that because Cornell missed out on their top choice and had they gotten him, DiLeo would likely not be going to Cornell. If I recall correctly, Chabot had spectacular stats in juniors (SJHL).

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:07PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I expect the next great Cornell goalie to be a freshman in 2007 and see some time like LeNeveu did as a freshman. If all had gone to plan, McKee probably would have been caddy to Marr as a freshman. [/q]

Actually, if all had REALLY gone to plan, McKee would have been Marr's replacement and a freshman this year, likely caddying to a senior LeNeveu (or perhaps splitting time with him as Lenny himself did with Underhill in 01-02).

Date: March 14, 2005 10:07PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

i guess itsjust hard to see a 91% svp and 2.98 gpg and think good after being spoiled with lenny and mckee the last few years. i'm sure hed a fine goalie.[/q]

[elf.elynah.com]

This link mentions Billy Sauer who picked Michigan over Cornell (others?). As a comparison, Sauer had a 2.86 gaa & a .909 save % this year for Chicago. In Sauer's defense, however, he just turned 17 & last year was playing for McQuaid High in Rochester (Section V champs last year).

An interesting side note is that McQuaid just won the State Championship with a goalie named Nick BonDurant. Someone who knows Coach Shafer might want to mention this kid's name: He's in 8th grade.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 10:11PM by ithacat.

Date: March 14, 2005 10:09PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

An interesting side note is that McQuaid just won the State Championship with a goalie named Nick BonDurant. Someone who knows the Coach Shafer might want to mention this kid's name: He's in 8th grade.[/q]

Let's hear it for the Class of 2013. :-D

Date: March 14, 2005 10:14PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

I expect the next great Cornell goalie to be a freshman in 2007 and see some time like LeNeveu did as a freshman. If all had gone to plan, McKee probably would have been caddy to Marr as a freshman. [/Q]
Actually, if all had REALLY gone to plan, McKee would have been Marr's replacement and a freshman this year, likely caddying to a senior LeNeveu (or perhaps splitting time with him as Lenny himself did with Underhill in 01-02).[/q]

Absolutely, so we can see the trend the coaching staff is looking for with bringing outstanding goalies to backup and a play a little bit as freshmen and then take over as sophomores. I was saying though that even last year after McKee had come in as a freshman, I believe the plan was for Marr to be the starter and McKee play every second or third game. Then Marr got injured preseason and everything changed.

Date: March 14, 2005 10:18PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

The Rancor Wrote:

i guess itsjust hard to see a 91% svp and 2.98 gpg and think good after being spoiled with lenny and mckee the last few years. i'm sure hed a fine goalie.[/Q]
This link mentions Billy Sauer who picked Michigan over Cornell (others?). As a comparison, Sauer had a 2.86 gaa & a .909 save % this year for Chicago. In Sauer's defense, however, he just turned 17 & last year was playing for McQuaid High in Rochester (Section V champs last year).

An interesting side note is that McQuaid just won the State Championship with a goalie named Nick BonDurant. Someone who knows Coach Shafer might want to mention this kid's name: He's in 8th grade.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/14/05 10:11PM by ithacat.[/q]

The NAHL where DiLeo plays and USHL where Sauer plays are totally different leagues. The USHL is a better overall league, but is far more defensive than the NAHL. The NAHL is more high scoring but doesn't have nearly as many good players as the USHL. McKee, Salmela, Nickerson, and Michigan State leading scorer Jim Slater are all NAHL alums. There have been rumblings for a couple years that the NAHL is going under. Davenport and Marr (after he left Northeaster) played in the USHL. Again, totally different leagues.

Date: March 14, 2005 10:26PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:

The Rancor Wrote:

i guess itsjust hard to see a 91% svp and 2.98 gpg and think good after being spoiled with lenny and mckee the last few years. i'm sure hed a fine goalie.[/Q]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/14/05 10:11PM by ithacat.[/Q]
The NAHL where DiLeo plays and USHL where Sauer plays are totally different leagues. The USHL is a better overall league, but is far more defensive than the NAHL. The NAHL is more high scoring but doesn't have nearly as many good players as the USHL. McKee, Salmela, Nickerson, and Michigan State leading scorer Jim Slater are all NAHL alums. There have been rumblings for a couple years that the NAHL is going under. Davenport and Marr (after he left Northeaster) played in the USHL. Again, totally different leagues.[/q]

Hey, I needed a segue to bringing up BonDurant's name. That's an interesting point, however.
:-D

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 10:47PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

It's really hard to judge a goalie by his stats in juniors. Leneveu's were unspectacular at best. A press release from May 2001 had this to say about the incoming Leneveu

"One of the top goaltenders in the BCHL last year, David LeNeveu (Fernie, B.C.) joins the Big Red after playing for the Nanaimo Clippers (former team of current Big Red forward Greg Hornby). The Clippers' starting goalie, he saw action in 40 games last year, recording a 3.27 goals against average and a .887 save percentage. According to Schafer, at 6-1, 155, LeNeveu is a good technical goalie and does a good job taking away the lower portion of the net with his long legs. He anticipates plays well and has good concentration for a young goaltender."

[cornellbigred.collegesports.com]

Edit: after scrolling up and reading more... I realize I'm about the 6th person to say this. Sorry to be redundant. But at least I provided a link :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 10:53PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Date: March 14, 2005 10:53PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
I was saying though that even last year after McKee had come in as a freshman, I believe the plan was for Marr to be the starter and McKee play every second or third game. Then Marr got injured preseason and everything changed.[/q]

I agree. Though I have no idea about the intended frequency of McKee starting, I'm pretty sure Marr was supposed to be the primary goalie that season. I don't have any real evidence with which to back this up, just a guess based on the facts that Marr was one of the two goalies to 'start' the Red-White game (Chabot was the other one), and Marr started the exhibition game vs. U.S. Under-18 as well (which McKee came into approximately haflway through the game).

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 11:20PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

ithacat Wrote:

An interesting side note is that McQuaid just won the State Championship with a goalie named Nick BonDurant. Someone who knows the Coach Shafer might want to mention this kid's name: He's in 8th grade.[/Q]
Let's hear it for the Class of 2013.[/q]

Lol. Now I feel old, and I'm still a junior...

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:18AM

You feel old, Pace? 2013 is the year of my TEN YEAR reunion. F*cking hell...

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 08:04AM

Get over it Jerseygirl. 2013 is one year after my thirtieth reunion.

F*cking hell... :-D

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 10:33PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Get over it Jerseygirl. 2013 is one year after my thirtieth reunion.

F*cking hell... [/q]

And one year after my fortieth.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 11:04PM

I'm over it. I was slightly drunk and the thought of being over 30 temporarily horrified me.

Date: March 16, 2005 09:35AM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

I'm over it. I was slightly drunk and the thought of being over 30 temporarily horrified me.[/q]

Don't worry, I'm right there with you. Only seven or so years to go...

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 10:04AM

[OT] From those who've seen 30 come and go: Thirty is the most terrifying decade change because you think four rogue gray hairs means you're getting old and then shortness of breath when you go jogging in 10-degree weather must be the onset of a coronary. The next ones get easier even if that's when you really are getting older. Other sad milestones are when at reunion the university president attends your class' dinner ... and when you start getting housing that's convenient to campus. That takes a while to happen, but it's a sign. Also, you find that virtually every commuication from Cornell has a reminders checkbox, "[] I have made provisions for Cornell in my estate planning." There must be others. Going back and sensing your fraternity house now looks like a dump, that isn't a sign of age, that's just reality.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2005 10:14AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
you think four rogue gray hairs means you're getting old [/q]

I found my first gray hair senior year and I was not a "non-traditional" student or whatever PC term they have these days. Engineering curriculum and bad genes will do that to you.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 11:27AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Jerseygirl Wrote:

I'm over it. I was slightly drunk and the thought of being over 30 temporarily horrified me.[/Q]
Don't worry, I'm right there with you. Only seven or so years to go...[/q]

Turned forty today.......tough one.

Date: March 16, 2005 12:06PM

It's not the gray hairs on your head that upset you. Think lower.

Posted by: aznxjz (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2005 12:17PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

It's not the gray hairs on your head that upset you. Think lower.[/q]

um...chest hair?

Date: March 16, 2005 12:33PM

Keep going :-D

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 01:26PM

FWIW...

Based on GAA, DiLeo ranks 14th in the NAHL. The top two goalies are Jason Kearney (?) and Ben Bishop (UMaine). Here's how Dan compares in some categories:

GAA:
Kearney, 1.80
Bishop, 1.90
DiLeo, 2.98

SV%:
Kearney, .924
Bishop, .922
DiLeo, .913

SVs:
DiLeo, 1009
Bishop, 904
Kearney, 705

SOs:
Kearney, 6
Bishop, 5
DiLeo, 1

Date: March 16, 2005 01:56PM

He's 8th in SV%, which seems a lot more respectable..and looking at some team stats, it looks like Wichita isn't much of a defensive team.

Kearney plays for Soo, they've got the #1 PK in the league. Bishop plays for Texas, which has the #2 PK in the league. Wichita Falls is 16th. Clearly your goalie plays a big part in penalty killing, but I think we can get some idea of what the defense is like from those numbers.

The other goalie on DiLeo's team has an .887 sv% and a 3.54 GAA.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 16, 2005 03:28PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

He's 8th in SV%, which seems a lot more respectable..and looking at some team stats, it looks like Wichita isn't much of a defensive team.[/q]

I felt a lot better after looking at some of those stats, too. WF doesn't appear to be one of the better defense teams in the league. At least he's getting a lot of practice down there.

Date: March 21, 2005 06:35PM

Paul Shaheen wrote this for the Research on Ice free newsletter, and he gave me permission to post it in full to elynah, along with anything else he writes about Cornell :) If you're interested in subscribing, you can email puckkeg@comcast.net

-----------------
No Rush, No Worries

Three years of junior hockey is a long road to take waiting for the right D-I opportunity to come along, but for 20 year-old Wichita Falls (NAHL) netminder Dan DiLeo, who on Thursday committed to Cornell, he hasn't an ounce of regret.

"I know I'm an older kid whose committing late in the season, but looking back, I wouldn't change a thing," says DiLeo. "Junior hockey is a great experience, and really, it's like pro hockey but without the money. The seasons are long, but they give you an opportunity to learn about hockey, and about yourself. It's great when kids commit at 17, but there's so much to learn. For me, I've had three years to do that, and as a result, I feel more than prepared going into Cornell for next season."

DiLeo is a well spoken and intelligent young man who scored a 29 on his ACT, which on its own, of course, makes him Ivy League material. On the ice, he considers himself a student of netminding, and has trained over several summers with pre-eminent goaltending coach Bill Howard, a long-time assistant with the Wisconsin Badgers.

"Bill's goaltending philosophy suits me well," says DiLeo, "it's not butterfly all the time, it's more situational. The time and distance you have to work with, depending upon the play, is what dictates whether you stay up or down."

1 Dan DiLeo
Team Logo 	Player Photo 	
PROFILE:
Birthday: 	Sep 10, 1984
Hometown: 	St. Louis MO
Position: 	G
Height: 	5-11
Weight: 	173
D-I: Cornell (ECACHL)

REGULAR SEASON
YEAR 		TEAM 		GP 	MIN 		W 	L 	OTL 	SO 	GA 	GAA 	SV 	SV%
2004/2005 	Wichita Falls 	19 	1117:11 	10 	4 	5 	0 	57 	3.06 	584 	0.911
2004/2005 	Fargo-Moorhead 	15 	880:55 		11 	3 	1 	1 	42 	2.86 	456 	0.916

Either way, it's working. DiLeo came to Wichita Falls in January (via trade) from the Fargo-Moorhead Jets, where he was serving as a back-up to Andrew Stricker. Looking for more ice time, and with the Wildcats in dire need of some experience between the pipes, Dileo became the answer, and then some.

"We were a game under .500 when Dan got here," explains Wildcats' head coach Brian Meisner, "and now he's helped us make a playoff run. He's very competitive, he works very hard, and he's really taken advantage of the opportunity."

From St. Louis, DiLeo skated for the AAA Junior Blues organization before playing with the Minnesota Junior Hockey League's Northwest Knights in 2002-2003. He then went onto Fargo--where he spent all of last year--before coming to Wichita Falls two months ago.

"I love it here," DiLeo says. "Once I got here I was joking with some of my old buddies in Fargo. When I left Fargo it was 30 below, and here it was 60 degrees and guys were running around in shorts. If a kid wanted to play junior hockey, there couldn't be a better place to play. You get to play in a world-class facility (8,000 seat Kay Yeager Coliseum), and there are great coaches here. It's the total package."

What with sophomore David McKee (Texas Tornado) lighting it up in net for the Big Red this year (a league record 10 shutouts, a 1.21 GAA and in contention for the Hobey Baker award), where and how will Dileo fit into Cornell's plans? Simple. Freshman Troy Davenport left the club earlier this year (returning to the USHL with Des Moines), while junior keeper Louis Chabot has played but one game in three years. Cornell head coach Mike Schafer is obviously looking for depth in goal, and is also keenly aware of his club's historical string of netminding successes, where kids like David LeNeveu and Jean-Marc Pelletier played brilliantly before choosing to leave school early for the professional ranks.

"For all my experience in juniors, I'll be a rookie all over again next year," says DiLeo, "while my strength is my work ethic, I'm going to have to adjust to the speed of the college game. It will be faster, and with no red line, I'm sure there will be more odd-man rushes. It will be an adjustment for sure, but one I'm looking forward to."

Two years ago, from an attendance standpoint, Wichita Falls was the toast of the NAHL, averaging nearly 6,000 fans per game. Many of those tickets were 'freebies' however, and then ownership problems left a sour taste in many people's mouth. Enter new owner Rick Brodsky, who for many years has successfully owned and operated the WHL's Prince George (BC) Cougars. Brodsky and company have brought stability back to the franchise, which is this year averaging 1,874 fans, second best in the NAHL behind the Texas Tornado's 3,709. Wichita Falls was once known as the Rustlers, but Brodsky changed it to Wildcats, mirroring the name of his WHL franchise.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2005 10:14PM

[Q]says DiLeo, "while my strength is my work ethic,[/Q]Well, coach will like that. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login