Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Game vs. Vermont televised?

Posted by GaryP 
Game vs. Vermont televised?
Posted by: GaryP (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:22PM

Will the game versus Vermont 4:30 pm on Friday be televised in the Ithaca area?

Re: Game vs. Vermont televised?
Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:43PM

how about in the West Plam Beach FL area?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:50PM

Straight from the ECACHL web site:

[q]Men's Semifinal No. 1
Friday, March 18, 4:30 p.m.
LIVE
Adelphia Cable (Hanover, N.H., and Burlington, Vt.)
Time Warner Syracuse (Ithaca, Syracuse, North Country)
TAPE DELAYED
Cox Cable (Noon, Saturday, March 19)
CSTV (11 a.m., Saturday, March 19)
Time Warner Albany (TBA)[/q]

[www.ecachockeyleague.com]

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 11:51PM

Gary, I heard that the local Time Warner cable station will be picking up the ECAC game, so it will be televised in Ithaca. In West Palm Beach, the game would be on CSTV, but I heard it is not going to be live and is going to be rebroadcast Saturday morning, 11 am, and the final will be broadcast live on CSTV saturday night.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:22AM

The game is also supposed to be streamed for free on XMI.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: GaryP (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:22PM

Appreciate the responses guys.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:54PM

Below is CSTV's Friday schedule. Why they can't do the game live is a mystery. I've sent two requests to them without any response. Their feedback page is:
[www.collegesports.com].
We should let them know they should be doing the game. I'm also very concerned that XMI will not be able to handle the traffic on Friday.
[Q]Fri, Mar. 18
3:00 pm
Full Court Press

4:00 pm
Full Court Press

5:00 pm
The 1 College Sports Show
Tourney Talk presented by Miller

6:30 pm
Coach
Diane Geppi-Aikens [/Q]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:27PM

Because basketball hype is more important than actual hockey. Still, it can't hurt to make our voices heard and let them know there is an audience for hockey.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 04:14PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Because basketball hype is more important than actual hockey.[/q]
But no one will be watching CSTV for basketball, with the games being on CBS and highlights continuously on ESPN. Who would really tune into "Tourney Talk"?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:35PM

I just sent the following comment to College Sports Television, which
is broadcasting the ECAC Hockey League tournament, but tape-delaying
the Cornell-Vermont semifinal.

======================================================================
Dear CSTV:

As a college hockey fan, I've appreciated the nation-wide coverage
CSTV's Friday Night Hockey has given to this great sport. I live in
New Orleans, but am able to watch college hockey live every weekend on
CSTV (which I get, along with numerous regional sports networks, via
DirecTV). As a Cornell alumnus and ECAC Hockey League fan, I'm also
pleased that CSTV will be broadcasting the ECACHL tournament with
play-by-play by former Big Red radio announcer and CSTV hockey analyst
Adam Wodon.

I am disappointed, though, to see that the first semifinal (Vermont vs
Cornell) is not scheduled to be broadcast live on CSTV Friday, March 18.
CSTV's schedule during that game (4:30pm-7:30pm EST) contains no live
sporting events. (It's a half-hour of Full Court Press, 90 minutes of
The 1 College Sports Show, and two episodes of Coach.) I am writing
to express the desire I'm sure is shared by many Cornell, Vermont, and
other ECACHL hockey fans to see the ECACHL semifinal live.

John T. Whelan, Cornell '91
[email address]
======================================================================

I imagine we're fighting a losing battle, since the Friday schedule
contains what look like a bunch of NCAA basketball tournament analysis
shows. The sad truth may be that hype for basketball games broadcast
on another network is a better sell for them than actual live playoff
hockey, but we can only change that equation if we make our voices
heard as hockey fans. I encourage anyone else who cares about this to
make their opinion known via
[url]http://www.collegesports.com/feedback/cs-feedback.html[/url]. I'd
recommend being respectful and stressing how much you appreciate the
live hockey coverage they do provide.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [url]http://www.elynah.com/tbrw/[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2005 06:38PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:52PM

John, make a separate thread so people see that better. I saw it on USCHO and sent feedback.

Date: March 15, 2005 12:30AM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

John, make a separate thread so people see that better. I saw it on USCHO and sent feedback.[/q]

Could you please respond on that thread to bring it back to the front page and counteract the complacency of the two posters responding so far?

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:44AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

French Rage Wrote:

John, make a separate thread so people see that better. I saw it on USCHO and sent feedback.[/Q]
Could you please respond on that thread to bring it back to the front page and counteract the complacency of the two posters responding so far?[/q]

Done.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:47AM

If the Cornell game is tape delayed are we to assume it will be played without television timeouts?

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:55AM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

If the Cornell game is tape delayed are we to assume it will be played without television timeouts?[/q]

Though it's tape-delayed on CSTV, it's going to be live on Time Warner Syracuse (serving the Ithaca area as well) and Adelphia Cable.

[www.ecachockeyleague.com]

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 03:39AM

[Q]TCHL8842 Wrote:

Gary, I heard that the local Time Warner cable station will be picking up the ECAC game, so it will be televised in Ithaca. In West Palm Beach, the game would be on CSTV, but I heard it is not going to be live and is going to be rebroadcast Saturday morning, 11 am, and the final will be broadcast live on CSTV saturday night.[/q]

This may be a stupid question. I've never actually had a TV at my place of residence while I've been in the U.S. (i.e. at Cornell), so I'm not quite certain how things work in this country. I will be in Puerto Rico on Saturday, but would love to watch the final. Is CSTV something that's likely to be down there? (I mean, it's still U.S., hehe) Or is CSTV local to the North-East?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2005 03:40AM by Pace.

Posted by: Beeeej (68.160.255.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 04:14AM

[Q]Pace Wrote:
This may be a stupid question. I've never actually had a TV at my place of residence while I've been in the U.S. (i.e. at Cornell), so I'm not quite certain how things work in this country. I will be in Puerto Rico on Saturday, but would love to watch the final. Is CSTV something that's likely to be down there? (I mean, it's still U.S., hehe) Or is CSTV local to the North-East?[/q]

Not a stupid question at all. CSTV is national, and available on DirecTV, and I know DirecTV serves Puerto Rico. So I assume if you can find a sportsbar or something that gets DirecTV and you do a little convincing, you should be okay. But it couldn't hurt to call around in advance and double-check your facts; in Vegas, I had trouble finding a sportsbar to watch the Everblades tourney because the first one who assured me they could show it didn't actually carry the channel. Needless to say we were pretty peeved.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 05:01AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Pace Wrote:
This may be a stupid question. I've never actually had a TV at my place of residence while I've been in the U.S. (i.e. at Cornell), so I'm not quite certain how things work in this country. I will be in Puerto Rico on Saturday, but would love to watch the final. Is CSTV something that's likely to be down there? (I mean, it's still U.S., hehe) Or is CSTV local to the North-East?[/Q]
Not a stupid question at all. CSTV is national, and available on DirecTV, and I know DirecTV serves Puerto Rico. So I assume if you can find a sportsbar or something that gets DirecTV and you do a little convincing, you should be okay. But it couldn't hurt to call around in advance and double-check your facts; in Vegas, I had trouble finding a sportsbar to watch the Everblades tourney because the first one who assured me they could show it didn't actually carry the channel. Needless to say we were pretty peeved.

Beeeej[/q]

Thanks for the info Beeeej. Nice to see I'm not the only one frequenting eLynah past 4am.

So CSTV is a channel. What is DirecTV? A type of cable or satellite? Any other channels/services that might carry this game nationally? From what I read on this thread, it seems like CSTV's my only hope in Puerto Rico.

*contemplates how his hockey jersey would look with shorts and flip-flops*

Date: March 15, 2005 07:25AM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

So CSTV is a channel. What is DirecTV? A type of cable or satellite? Any other channels/services that might carry this game nationally? From what I read on this thread, it seems like CSTV's my only hope in Puerto Rico.
[/q]

DirecTV is a satellite service, sort of a national substitute for your cable company. In addition to CSTV and ESPNU, it carries many "regional sports networks" like MSG and YES from NYC, NESN from Boston, and many Fox Sports affiliates (New York, New England, "North"--with Minnesota and Wisconsin feeds, Rocky Mountain, as well as many others that don't matter for hockey purposes). You get all those networks with a programming package called the "Sports Pack" which is a college hockey fan's best friend. Thanks to the Sports Pack, any broadcast on one of these RSNs is effectively national.

The art of finding a sports bar showing college hockey
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:42AM

When it comes to finding a sports bar that will show this weekend's ECAC tournament games and upcoming NCAA regional games, the challenge is NOT finding a place with DirecTV. Because of DirecTV's crown jewel, the NFL ticket, almost every sports bar has DirecTV. That's not enough. The big challenge is finding a sports bar that has shelled out for DirecTV's "Sports Pack," the premium package outlined by John above. The sad truth is that most sports bars, even those with DirecTV, don't subscribe to this add-on, and therefore can't show CSTV or any of the all-important regional sports networks such as NESN or Fox Sports North. When calling around to sport bars, the key is asking whether they subscribe to DirecTV's "Sports Pack" -- nothing else will do, unless you're lucky enough to live in an area where the cable service provider offers CSTV (such as Baltimore or Washington, DC) or an area where a hockey-friendly regional sports network is "local" (such as Minneapolis-St. Paul or Boston). Sadly, at most sports bars, even management types often don't know details about the services their establishments offer. You just gotta keep asking until you get someone who understands.

In my experience, if you're looking for a sports bar for college hockey games (and if there isn't a true hockey bar available), BY FAR the best places to start are sports bars that cater to international soccer fans. Because soccer fans are dependent on Fox Sports World -- another channel that's part of DirecTV's "Sports Pack" -- soccer bars are usually a sure bet to offer year-round access to college-hockey-friendly channels. It also helps that soccer fans congregate at bizarre times, because live games from Europe require weekday mid-afternoon or even morning visits to the saloon. There's often little prime-time congestion.

Because soccer fans are as crazy as we are, there are loads of Web sites listing the best North American soccer bars. In the Washington area, for example, there are three or four excellent soccer bars that are often willing and able to show college hockey.

All of the above is also true when it comes to finding sports bars willing and able to show college lacrosse on CSTV or espnU.

Re: The art of finding a sports bar showing college hockey
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:35PM

I don't know about that. At least around here, DTV bars have the sports pack, if only to have MSG and YES for Yankees, Nets, Knicks, and, umm, what's that hockey team...

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 12:37PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

When it comes to finding a sports bar that will show this weekend's ECAC tournament games and upcoming NCAA regional games, the challenge is NOT finding a place with DirecTV. Because of DirecTV's crown jewel, the NFL ticket, almost every sports bar has DirecTV. That's not enough. The big challenge is finding a sports bar that has shelled out for DirecTV's "Sports Pack," [/q]I disagree. The challenge is finding one that will change the channel from basketball on any TV. Even the little one in the corner near the barfly who hasn't showered since Christmas will be showing UK vs EKU, even if the score is 65-33.

Posted by: drs48 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2005 01:58PM

Might someone have the XMI address ? thanks

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:02PM

Posted by: jaybert (---.nc.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 02:31PM

[Q]The Rancor Wrote:

how about in the West Plam Beach FL area?[/q]

any luck finding a place around here? I am in Boca Raton co-oping w/ IBM. I can always watch it at home...but would definately be more fun if there was a bar to watch it at w/ a few other Cornell fans (if in fact they make it....no gimmes!)

Date: March 15, 2005 04:22PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote: I don't know about that. At least around here, DTV bars have the sports pack, if only to have MSG and YES for Yankees, Nets, Knicks, and, umm, what's that hockey team...[/q]
Yeah, Age, I guess that makes sense for sports bars in Upstate NY or in other small town/rural areas, where DirecTV's Sports Pack is a good way to get coverage of pro "home teams" in distant major markets. But I've seldom found what you just described in big metropolitan areas, where establishments don't need to fork out for Sports Pack to get coverage of all the home pro teams. In all the bigger markets I've ever lived in or visited, sports bars with DTV's Sports Pack are annoyingly rare.

Sheeeeeeit, I am so jealous of Ithacans like you this weekend.

Edit: Dumb writing stuff
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2005 04:41PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 15, 2005 04:25PM

Here's to the Cablevision/Time Warner dispute carrying on so that NYC Time Warner customers continuing getting CSTV through the weekend! (knock on wood)

Date: March 15, 2005 04:33PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote: I disagree. The challenge is finding one that will change the channel from basketball on any TV. Even the little one in the corner near the barfly who hasn't showered since Christmas will be showing UK vs EKU, even if the score is 65-33.[/q]
Hey, that barfly was me, and my boys coulda come back -- that Pusser boy who handles the rock for the 'Cats can't shoot free throws.

Seriously, that's why you gotta go with soccer bars. In soccer bars, March Madness means getting up early on a weekend for a little Milwaukee orange juice and catching West Brom v Aston Villa to see who can avoid relegation. By the time evening rolls around, some of these places are empty.

It's a low revenue sports thing.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 05:34PM

Anyone know if a bar in say, Boston, can *pick off* the live game feed on friday? It's not being picked up on cable here. Can you hook onto the CSTV feed that is going out over the bird to the cable companies?

Date: March 15, 2005 09:02PM

[Q]abmarks Wrote:

Anyone know if a bar in say, Boston, can *pick off* the live game feed on friday? It's not being picked up on cable here. Can you hook onto the CSTV feed that is going out over the bird to the cable companies? [/q]

I think the technical term for that is "backhaul". I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that, but it's possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login