Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Doug Murray - Senior Year?

Posted by Scott 
Doug Murray - Senior Year?
Posted by: Scott (206.142.54.---)
Date: March 25, 2002 10:45AM

What are the chances that he will leave Cornell and skip his senior year?

Re: Doug Murray - Senior Year?
Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 25, 2002 10:53AM

Since I have no insight to offer on Scott's question, I will just add one of my own: Where could I find the draft status of the players on the roster (including seniors)? (the incoming freshmen also, if they are old enough to have been drafted)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2002 11:13AM

I feel like I've beaten this to death, but mostly on USCHO, so I'll say it again. Doug's defensive weaknesses pretty much mean he has no chance in the NHL, and if he went pro, would probably flounder in the AHL for a while, hopefully improving enough defensively in a few years to get a shot at the big show. And another year under Schafer's tutelage can only help that. Secondly, with quotes from Doug like "I’m extremely disappointed. You play hockey for such a long time and you want to win — I’m not satisfied with any moral victories," he obviously wouldn't be content walking away now. He still has no (real) ECAC hardware, everyone knows what this team can do next year, and he's one of the biggest parts of it. Lastly, it's not like San Jose is lacking in defensive depth. I'm sure they want to sign him and get him in the farm system, but they're not in a major rush. They'll probably offer him, but there's no reason to think the offer won't still be on the table next year, and likely a better one. IMHO, he'll be back. (Oh, and he's got a girlfriend grounding him here now, too :-D )

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2002 01:58PM

I definitely agree with Age's perspective on this. While having no extra information on myself, it just doesn't seem likely. Leavng an Ivy League school one year from graduation with a team that has serious chance at national contention next year just sorta seems... unusual.

...plus everything Age said :-) .

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:14PM

Ditto. From everything I've heard about Nieuwendyk's departure, it was largely because other than his own talent, the 1987-88 Cornell team wasn't going to have that much going for it. So there wasn't nearly as much incentive for him to stay.

Beeeej

Posted by: twh2 (---.nas24.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:17PM

Hopefully he'll stay and take on a little of the McMeekin mentality, then he would be unstopable, at the college level anyway. And I also fully agree with Age. Hey, maybe we can all just get along:-))

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 25, 2002 05:42PM

Stranger things have happened... but don't ask me what nut

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 01:15PM

remember though that leaving early does not mean that u dont graduate. most players finish their degrees in time.
stay, dougie! :-D

Posted by: Adam '01 (---.executiveboard.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 01:27PM

Dougie was in my wines class last year (culture and history, not tasting). If his dedication to and love of that class is any indication of his academic goals, he will be back next year. Of course, maybe he just really really likes wine.

Plus, I don't think he's done a TCAB semester yet....

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 01:58PM

"TCAB"?

Posted by: melissa '01 (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 02:12PM

yeah. don't remember what it stands for but it is a semester spent working with food preparation where groups of students are responsible for running a high quality dining experience for paying customers for an evening (or maybe several over the course of the semester) with students running the entire thing....or at least this is my interpretation of it. could be wrong. if so, please enlighten us adam.....:-)

Posted by: min '97 (---.res.gatech.edu)
Date: March 26, 2002 02:47PM

i'm not adam, but TCAB stands for Terrace Cafe and Bistro...

Posted by: Adam '01 (---.executiveboard.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 03:20PM

It is "HADM 335: Restaurant Management" for those who are interested. Might be fun for those of you in Ithaca to turn out on Dougie's restaurant night and support him.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 03:23PM

Will it be smorgasbord? (Sorry couldn't resist.) nut

Posted by: twh2 (---.nas24.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 26, 2002 05:48PM

It actually stands for Themes Cuisines And Beyond, at least it did last year. And it's not simply running the restaurant for the night or necessarily have to be upsale. It is a course that challenges your ability to create a farrago of food presentation and preparation on a large scale, marketing, staff management and teamwork, among other skills, and exposes your nescience in any of these areas on a weekly basis. Just thought I'd throw in my $.02:-P

Date: March 26, 2002 07:19PM

It's been a long time since I learned two new words in one sentence, when the author wasn't Rex Stout. Thanks, Thom. :-)

Posted by: twh2 (---.nas28.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 26, 2002 07:21PM

My pleasure, I felt I had to prove my intelligence due to my few mispellings which always seem to get pointed out:-P

mmm...dictionary.com
Posted by: jeh25 (---.0.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 08:02PM

[www.dictionary.com]

[www.dictionary.com]

People like you explain why I rocked the SAT verbal but didn't do anywhere near as well on the vocab bits of the GRE. Sometimes I actually think my vocabulary shrank during college. Too much time spent on chem and bio I guess....

or mebbe it was all the beer and hockey. I dunno.

Posted by: Susan Newman 08 (---.aburny.adelphia.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 08:14PM

nut

Re: mmm...dictionary.com
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 08:41PM

rolleyes John don't you mean hookers & booze. . . rolleyes

Posted by: Sarli (---.25.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 09:10PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BEER and HOCKEY
B-]
{best when read aloud with Homer Simpson voice}

Posted by: twh2 (---.nas27.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 26, 2002 10:03PM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...dictionary.com laugh It's just way too easy to forget all those humanities classes in high school, isn't it?!?!

Date: March 27, 2002 10:22AM

Back in the day I taught GRE and SAT and Kaplan. There is no difference in the difficulty of the verbal (or math, for that matter) sections on those exams. They should let you keep reading books while taking all of those science courses.

Unless that means the bridges will start collapsing . . .

Date: March 27, 2002 10:28AM

Speaking of standardized tests, I just read that Thomas Vanek, next year's alleged top recruit (Minnesota) had to re-take his SAT's to be "eligeable" (guess he's not the only one). Right up there with the UNH player who told us he does an hour of homework a week. Certainly makes me proud(er) of our boys.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: March 27, 2002 11:33AM

big red apple wrote:

Unless that means the bridges will start collapsing . . .

Naah. I was just a lowly food science major. It would just mean that your twinkies would taste like ass... B-]

Date: March 27, 2002 11:46AM

Twinkies already do taste like ass..... yark

Date: March 27, 2002 12:24PM

Twinkies used to taste great. But that was probably before you were born. Now, sadly, you are correct. :`(

Date: March 27, 2002 12:40PM

oh uhoh seems like processed foods keep getting worse.....we could blame it all on the food science majorsrolleyes

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 12:55PM

Twinkies used to taste great back in the day because you were a kid then. I'm convinced that the flavor of Twinkies hasn't changed a lick since my Dad was a kid, except that they've been getting progressively more stale. In fact, I'm convinced that the current twinkies were made in the same batch as the ones that were sold when my Dad was a kid. nut

At any rate, a lot of the Twinkies tasting like ass has to do with getting older, and possibly wiser. Remember blue raspberry ice pops? I used to love those, but I can't stomach it anymore. I guess the charm of a blue tongue no longer outweighs the general nastiness of the flavor. . . yark :-))

Date: March 27, 2002 12:56PM

but...i AM a kid worry

Ummm...No
Date: March 27, 2002 01:34PM

Tom Lento wrote:

Twinkies used to taste great back in the day because you were a kid then. I'm convinced that the flavor of Twinkies hasn't changed a lick since my Dad was a kid, except that they've been getting progressively more stale. In fact, I'm convinced that the current twinkies were made in the same batch as the ones that were sold when my Dad was a kid. nut

Well, you can be convinced of that all you like, but you would be wrong.

The twinkie has been reformulated many many times to reduce cost over the years. In fact, the twinkie is now something like 50 % less dense than they once were given that air is the cheapest ingredient you can find. (I once had a boss during an internship that told me: "First you sell air. If you can't sell air, then sell water. And if you can't sell water, then sell salt.";)

This reformulation problem is what occurs when cost-reduction, rather than innovation drives product development. Imagine you use you use your currently shipping product as the golden standard. Now you tell the product developers to shave the cost a little. They come up with a new test formulation, and send them off to be taste tested. Since the PD guys did a good job, the taste test fails to show any statistically significant difference between the golden standard and the reformulated product. Invariably, some marketing weenie will tell the VP that the new formulation "tastes the same" and the new product will be launched. Now fast-forward 3 years, and imagine that a new junior VP decides he'll get a promotion by increasing profits by reducing cost. Therefore, he instructs the PD guys to reformulate the product and test it against the shipping product. Once again, the reformulated product fails to show any statistically significant difference and the new formulation is launched. One doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to see that after a few more cycles, a 6th generation twinkie will be nothing like a 1st generation twinkie even though each generation "passed" the taste test.

And hence, twinkies suck and children like Susan will never enjoy the creamy spongy goodness of an old school twinkie.

(I'm convinced that Little Debbie golden cremes have suffered from the same problem to some degree, but to a far lesser extent. Thus, when I get my once a year twinkie craving, I reach for a golden creme instead.)

Re: Ummm...No
Date: March 27, 2002 01:44PM

wow...I guess living in the age of technology doesnt exactly pay then:`(

Re: Ummm...No
Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 01:52PM

Ok, now that is too much useless information, even for me. nut

Date: March 27, 2002 03:31PM

Is the original Twinkie formula patented forever-and-ever, or can somebody release the original Twinkie as a direct competitor to the 6th Generation Bastard Stepchild Twinkie, win market share, get rich, and save Susan's childhood?

(If somebody found a perfectly preserved 30 year old Twinkie, which after all shouldn't be too hard, could they "reverse Engineer" it?)

Make your own Twinkie's at home!
Date: March 27, 2002 03:36PM

Well, I imagine that the original formula would be a trade secret, and thus never expire.

However, there is a website that claims to have a recipe you can make at home that is supposed to taste just like the original twinkies did. I guess you could make little tiny loaves and inject a filling of your choice and save Susan's childhood in the process.

[www.kitchenproject.com]

Or you could just buy Little Debbie Golden Cremes.....

Posted by: Rob (---.uspto.gov)
Date: March 27, 2002 03:56PM

As someone who works in the patent field, I can tell you that Trade secrets are not protected at all. If you find out a trade secret of a rival and patent it, you can use the patent against them. So if you find the recipe for original twinkies and start making them Hostess cant stop you in any way shape or form. Well unless you are stupid enough to call them Twinkies but then thats a trademark issue.

Re: Make your own Twinkie's at home!
Date: March 27, 2002 03:56PM

Damn you all. Now I have a ferocious Twinkie craving... :-(

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: March 27, 2002 04:25PM

Come on Beeeej, correct his grammar, you know you want to. :-P

Date: March 27, 2002 05:07PM

Of course how you come by those trade secrets matters as well:

Reverse engineering? :-)

Former employee with confidentiality clause in her contract? :-(

Date: March 27, 2002 05:54PM

wow, all this to save my childhood...and i'll be in college in two years. You better hurry up.;-)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 06:11PM

If Arthur Andersen is your auditor, you can get away with just about anything. nut

Date: March 27, 2002 06:21PM

Don't worry. Childhood now extends until at least 25 for most people.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.3.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 27, 2002 06:24PM

or 35 in Greg's case:-))

Date: March 27, 2002 06:26PM

Hell no, John -- my ETA's 50, at the very earliest.

Date: March 27, 2002 09:01PM

sweet. . .:-P

Date: March 27, 2002 09:08PM

damn. . .this gets better and better, I'm lovin' life now!!!:-D

Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 11:07PM

I think there has been an across-the-board decline in the snack cake industry in recent years. Hostess Cupcakes, Ring Dings, and the like are not nearly as good as the were when I was 8 (not to mention the fact that Ring Dings no longer come wrapped in foil with baseball cards in the box).

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.17.79.204.lifespan.org)
Date: March 28, 2002 09:43AM

Wouldn't Dougie be proud to see the thread with his name on it has degraded to a discussion on the merits of Twinkies, Ringdings and the like? At least keep it Swedish! nut

-John

Date: March 28, 2002 09:54AM

John B '98 wrote:

Wouldn't Dougie be proud to see the thread with his name on it has degraded to a discussion on the merits of Twinkies, Ringdings and the like? At least keep it Swedish! nut

-John

Swedish fish aren't as good as when I was a kid....

Date: March 28, 2002 10:24AM

then there is something wrong with you. . .:-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: March 28, 2002 10:45AM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:

Swedish fish aren't as good as when I was a kid....
Maybe not, but I bet you appreciate the Swedish Bikini Team a lot more now than you did then. twitch

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 28, 2002 02:21PM

Nah, I gave up correcting grammar (and Lent) for Passover.

Beeeej

Re: Swedish (Warning: bad language)
Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 28, 2002 02:37PM

Saw a t-shirt yesterday in Manhattan that I found out later was for the band "The Haunted" - it said on the back in very big, capital letters:

SWEDISH AS FUCK

Wonder if we can buy a bunch for the flag-wavers? :-D

Beeeej

Date: March 28, 2002 03:24PM

I've never been able to give up correcting Lent.

Re: Swedish (Warning: bad language)
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.phys.lsu.edu)
Date: March 28, 2002 03:56PM

laugh We have to do that!

PS--I found a RealAudio of "Du Gamla, Du Fria" on the web, but it was a really uninspiring rendition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login