Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who we should be rooting for Sunday, 03/13

Posted by andyw2100 
Who we should be rooting for Sunday, 03/13
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:37PM

Am I correct that as Cornell fans, interested in seeing Cornell eek out that elusive number one seed for the NCAA tourney, tonight we should be rooting as follows:

--Alaska-Anchorage over Wisconsin (Most important game)
--Boston University over Providence (Second most important game)
--Northern Michigan over Western Michigan (Not really that important)
--Dartmouth over Vermont (Not really that important)

--Ferris State vs. Ohio State -- Doesn't matter
--Alabama-Huntsville vs. Bemidji State -- Doesn't matter

I compiled the above from what other people, who understand the whole RPI thing far better than I do, have been saying over the past few days.

Does the above look correct?
Andy W.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 05:38PM by andyw2100.

Re: Who we should be rooting for Sunday, 03/13
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:44PM

I dont know about you guys, but I'd much rather play Vermont than Dartmouth. Vermont plays a similar style to Cornell but they take more penalties and don't have as much depth whereas Dartmouth is very strong offensively and matches up physically with Cornell.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 05:55PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I dont know about you guys, but I'd much rather play Vermont than Dartmouth. Vermont plays a similar style to Cornell but they take more penalties and don't have as much depth whereas Dartmouth is very strong offensively and matches up physically with Cornell.[/q]
This guy agrees with you, Ari.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:02PM

i guess i would root for BU over providence because that gives greater competition to BC later in the tourney, possibly helping us flip a comparison with BC

seeing vermont's slide since midyear, i'd rather play them. dc has had some ecac experience recently (despite losses)..then again, they did recently lose to yale

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:08PM

ditto, much rather play vermont

Posted by: jim (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 06:35PM

we have shut out Vermont three out of the last four games with them

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:01PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

--Alaska-Anchorage over Wisconsin (Most important game)[/q]

Bored tonight? Here is the audio link for Bucky's game:

[www.goseawolves.com]

As a side note, regarding the discussion of this game on Bracketology (Best for UW to lose?), since when has Bucky's late season collapse been a good thing (This question can apply to all sports).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2005 07:08PM by ajec1.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:03PM

Root for Dartmouth or Vermont to get into the ECAC semis? Would be nice to see three Ivies out of four playing in Albany and the fourth a fellow upstate New York school. Would rather not see a team fleeing this fall to Hockey East, even if we match up well against Vermont. OTOH Dartmouth if it advances will have played six games in the past two weeks (two OTs so far) and may be a little banged up.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:08PM

And a Dartmouth win--I'd assume--would help their chances for an at large bid, and the more ECAC teams in the NCAAs, the better. Though someone could tell me that Dartmouth losing to Vermont would help their chances of getting a bid. Who knows? Well, someone knows, but I don't.

Still, I agree that I'd rather face Vermont.

Posted by: garyp (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:18PM

Why would you want Dartmouth to get an at-large bid to the tourney?

The only thing that creates is more intra-conference conflicts, which will very likely force Cornell into playing a better team than they would have to if Dartmouth misses out on the NCAAs...i.e. Cornell had to play Mankato in 2003 because the committee avoids intra-conference matchups at all costs.

Root for UVM if you want to improve Cornell's chances of getting an easier road to the Frozen Four.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:22PM

UVM up 1-0 mid first.

Dartmouth-UVM audio webcast
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:24PM

[www.sportsjuice.com] For an audio feed of the Dartmouth-Vermont game 3 tonight (Sunday). The announcers are okay. UVM went up 1-0 on a 5-on-3.

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:33PM

I would want Dartmouth to get an at-large bid, because I say the more ECAC teams in the tournament, the better. It's good for the leauge and thus good for Cornell. Same reason I rooted for SLUt in 2000 and root for Sucks when it comes NCAA time. Too bad that's never seemed to work!

But it's true that having Dartmouth in makes it more difficult to place Cornell. Though again, it's impossible to see how things would work out. A Dartmouth bid could make things tougher for Cornell, or it could theoretically make things easier, bouncing Cornell from a Minneapolis bracket that has Minny and move them to MA against a comprable team (that's not playing on their home ice).

Fortunately, it doesn't matter who I'll be rooting for tonight.

~Josh

Won't know until next Sunday.

Date: March 13, 2005 07:44PM

if 4 ecac teams make the tourney (us, harvard, dc, colgate), and dc and colgate are both #4 seeds, to avoid interconf matchups, if we were a #1 seed we would have to play one of the autobids from the weak conferences (Quin. or wayne state for example) in the first round, EVEN if we are not one of the top 2 in pwr. this would be a much easier road through the ncaa regionals.

-mike

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:50PM

Try this: If Dartmouth and Colgate wind up 13 & 14 like they are now, and we're a #1 seed, we get Bemidji or Quinnipiac.

That's why we want more ECAC at large bids.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:52PM

UVM for me.

Andy - You're Right!
Posted by: Ken '70 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 07:59PM

You're spot on, only quibble is I'd make BU as important as AA.

The rest of this palaver about Dartmouth and Vermont and the ECAC, yaddi, yaddi - is meaningless to your original question.

Doesn't this make you think that ADD is far more widespread than even its current highly hyped status indicates?

Re: Andy - You're Right!
Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:05PM

[Q]Ken '70 Wrote:

You're spot on, only quibble is I'd make BU as important as AA.

The rest of this palaver about Dartmouth and Vermont and the ECAC, yaddi, yaddi - is meaningless to your original question.

Doesn't this make you think that ADD is far more widespread than even its current highly hyped status indicates?

[/q]

Thanks for the reply, Ken. This was the answer I was looking for. As for the discussion about Dartmouth vs. Vermont, I almost posted something about that not being what I was looking for, but then decided that those comments were no more off the thread topic than comments in other threads. Getting off-topic is a nature of this beast, I guess. Many thanks for getting this thread back where I was hoping it would be in the first place.
Andy W.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:12PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/13/05 05:38PM by andyw2100.[/q]

Root for Ferris State. It will help ECAC bubble teams Dartmouth and Colgate (and maybe UVm if they win tonight). If tOSU loses tonight it will probably bounce them from contention for that 14th PWR spot. We don't need them getting a crack at Michigan.

Date: March 13, 2005 08:25PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/13/05 05:38PM by andyw2100.[/Q]
Root for Ferris State. It will help ECAC bubble teams Dartmouth and Colgate (and maybe UVm if they win tonight). If tOSU loses tonight it will probably bounce them from contention for that 14th PWR spot. We don't need them getting a crack at Michigan. [/q]

why not? we'd like michigan to lose to preclude the possibility that they could jump us

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2005 08:38PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

Chris '03 Wrote:

andyw2100 Wrote:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/13/05 05:38PM by andyw2100.[/Q]
Root for Ferris State. It will help ECAC bubble teams Dartmouth and Colgate (and maybe UVm if they win tonight). If tOSU loses tonight it will probably bounce them from contention for that 14th PWR spot. We don't need them getting a crack at Michigan. [/Q]
why not? we'd like michigan to lose to preclude the possibility that they could jump us[/q]

From an ECAC(hl) perspective we want Michigan to win the CCHA tournament. That will preclude NMU, OSU, MSU, Ferris and whoever else from jumping into one of the last few NCAA spots. In fact, if current trends continue, I'd prefer UMich to pass Cornell is it helps Cornell dodge a trip to the giant ice at Minnesota. Think about what a statement it would be if the ECAC gets 3 or 4 teams in and the CCHA has only Michigan and Michigan has to get a taste of its own medicine by having to play a team with home ice advantage in the regional. Of course I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login