Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

UNH fans

Posted by DeltaOne81 
UNH fans
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2002 10:52PM

Ok, so I can't let the season go yet. The praise coming from the UNH fans on USCHO speaks volumes.

Check out the thread at [uscho.com] if you feel like having a swollen head ;-)

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Re: UNH fans
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 25, 2002 01:11PM

I thought most of the UNH fans showed a lot of class, both when I was in school, and now.

In Worcester, I sat in front of a group of UNH fans, who started off the game with "We are going to score a goal every two minutes!" but after we scored to go up 2-1 they realized they had a game on their hands and settled down for the battle. Half way through the second, I heard one of them say, "These guys are good. We might lose this." By the end of the game, we were on speaking terms, and they agreed it was one of the best games they'd seen this year, and probably their toughest opponent. They also got a big kick from the Faithful.

Can't wait till next year!

LGR!!!

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.17.79.204.lifespan.org)
Date: March 25, 2002 02:59PM

I was sitting in front of the two women with the U-H-N signs. Kudos to you guys for tormenting them. They had no clue and no UNH fans around them bothered to tell them for, what, at least a period....

-John

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:03PM

While in general I thought the UNH fans excellent, I did find a couple of things amusing:

1) We don't throw fish at away games, and though they were the "home team", they were not really at home. Bench minor? Or don't they know that a UNH fan threw the fish?

2) After the "safety school" cheer, the UNH fan behind us said "a degree from UNH is just as good as a degree from Cornell" or something to that effect. Hmm.

3) The Big Red Bear gets no respect (the UNH fan behind us said... "is that a ferret? A hamster?";), but what WAS that giant tail-missing squirrel that they had on the ice?

Posted by: twh2 (---.nas24.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: March 25, 2002 03:05PM

Yeah, that was funny:-) And they just kept putting it up, U-H-N, U-H-N, U-H-N, they were so proud of themselves. I almost felt bad throwing safety school in their faces, almost...:-P

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.17.79.204.lifespan.org)
Date: March 25, 2002 04:01PM

And the UNH mascot. A tailess Squirrel? A gray chipmunk? I went to UNH. They had this ugly blue cat while I was there but at least it looked like a cat.

-John

Posted by: Will (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 10:22AM

Well, personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Big Red Bear--his head fell off too many times this season and he never threw enough candy into Section D at Lynah. :-D But I guess I have to support him over the UNH/UHN mascot. ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.phys.lsu.edu)
Date: March 26, 2002 12:04PM

The bear heads got replaced a few years ago, and IMHO the old ones were a lot better-looking.

Bear Head
Posted by: Lowell '99 (140.251.152.---)
Date: March 26, 2002 02:18PM

Because I like diverting the conversation, I just want to say that JTW is right. The old bear heads were far better than the new Big Red rabid squrriels, just as the old athletics logo was far better than the characterless new ones. Can I make a donation to get rid of those two new ones? I'm serious here. Just tell me who to make the check out to. I'll gladly go into (more) debt for this noble cause.

Change isn't bad, but bad change is.

Re: Bear Head
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 26, 2002 04:55PM

Hey, maybe we can get a permanent ban on "Macho Man" thrown in as a 3-for-the-price-of-2 deal.

Anyway, the old bear heads weren't exactly the most stable things either. Especially if you were trying to skate around in one, after, say, driving a 12-hour cab shift.

Beeeej

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 05:19PM

Also, isn't a bear head only good for about 3 seasons before it starts to permanently smell... like a severed bear head?

Posted by: CU Bear (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 01:33AM

The NCAA guy dealing with the mascots this weekend also made fun of the UNH mascot for not having a tail.

As for the bear heads, this was the third year with the head I skated with at Placid / NCAA. It is in bad shape (missing eyes for a year now), but at least they stay on. I never lost my head this season (a few of the other bears did in the "new" heads).

The "new" heads (we got half way through last year) that people lost are weighted very funny and are not really long enough to stay on properly (that's why I don't use them). Those new heads were modeled after the bear leaning against the C athletic logo and look decent. They apparently cost a lot of money to make and when we didn't like them we were stuck.

I personally would like to see us invest in a head similar in style to the other mascots this weekend (BU, Maine, UNH - oh no, actual sports marketing!), but continue to allow us to wear a hockey uniform (unlike the other mascots this weekend). If anybody has a line on where to get these, let me know. I know in the past the bears got money from the SA, not sure where that stands now.

As for the candy: The NCAA guys didn't let me throw candy in Whoosta, they were afraid people would throw it back because they wouldn't know what to do with it (QU fans proved them right when Beeej gave them a few pieces).

All in all the bears are in bad shape right now (only one left after this season). Bad relations with the Lynah rink staff and poor organization in the past few years hasn't helped, but I'm trying to get things on better terms. Some people seem to like the bears (or at least the candy), so I'll keep doing it.

Anyway, way too much info on the mascot.

QU fans
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 27, 2002 02:03AM

At first, the QU fans seemed really delighted and almost touched that I went down there with the leftover Snickers - a "hey, this Cornell guy is making a genuine overture of good fan relations, and he had to hobble down here to do it" sort of thing.

But one bad reffing call, and the candy was flying on the ice. Ah, well... they'll learn.

Beeeej

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 05:42AM

FWIW, I think the bears are great and should remain part of the hockey tradition.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2002 09:16AM

One thing's always bothered me about the bears... they can tear up parts of the ice pretty badly. Geez guys, let the players have a fresh surface for at least a little while.

Re: QU fans
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2002 08:53PM

Yeah, maybe they'll learn. . .when their team is no longer a glorified club team. . .sorry, I couldn't resist. That one was for the tall, wise-ass that threw the candy onto the ice. Betcha he had a great view of all our goals from his bar stool. uhoh

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: April 01, 2002 04:52PM

A Maine alum who helped me identify a trouble-bidder in my eBay auction for my extra pair of Frozen Four tix said this afterwards:

I was at the Cornell-UNH game in Worcster. They are a big team, showed a lot of good qualities. Play next season like you did in the regional and will see you in the F 4 in Buffalo. Have Fun, Will have to get a Beer and some wings.

Beeeej

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: April 01, 2002 05:59PM

What is a trouble bidder?

Date: April 01, 2002 06:26PM

In this case, someone who bids on several auctions for similar items (e.g., Frozen Four tickets) then only actually follows through on the ones he wins for the best price. My high bidder at the time had been the winning bidder on this Maine alum's tickets, but backed out. Luckily the "trouble bidder" also contacted me, to back out before the auction closed, so he didn't affect the outcome.

Gotta love MN scalping laws, btw - as long as you weren't a MN resident and didn't intend to complete the transaction in MN, you could bid as high as you wanted. Ended up selling to a non-MN resident for significantly above face value, thus subsidizing my own attendance.

Beeeej

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2002 07:48AM

beeej
isnt trouble bidding against ebay rules?
just curious...

Date: April 02, 2002 04:00PM

Yes, and I reported him duly.

Beeeej

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login