Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 5 Clarkson 0 postgame thread

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 5 Clarkson 0 postgame thread
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:18PM

Good points:

Incredible special teams - 3 PPG, 2 SHG
157 minutes of scoreless defense by Cornell (two straight vs. Clarkson, scoreless defense vs. SLU since 5:32 of second period plus 2 minutes of OT)
Balanced scoring
Didn't fall prey to Clarkson chippiness
McKee breaks Dryden's shutouts record
Moulson doesn't score but he sets up the others
Iggulden a maniac on man-short
[edit]Ari picks the final score exactly [www.elynah.com]

Could be better:

Sat back just a little in the third period
No even strength scoring offense
[edit add]XMI Webcast

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2005 09:24PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell 5 Clarkson 0 postgame thread
Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:20PM

Dartmouth-Vermont still on:
[nick8.surfernetwork.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:22PM

[Q]KP '06 Wrote:

Dartmouth-Vermont still on:[/q]

mms://nick9.surfernetwork.com/Dartmouth-WDCR

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Post other scores elsewhere
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:23PM

(Suggest using out of town scores thread for other game scores)

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:34PM

What a great game to listen to. The announcing team from Potsdam is excellent and the Clarkson audio feed is the best streaming audio of a sportscast I've ever experienced.

I'm content to have the team sit back a bit with a 5-0 lead going into the third. No need to steal bases with a big lead in the 9th inning. And I'm not too concerned with the lack of 5x5 scoring: there wasn't much 5x5 skating.

I think Clarkson seriously threatened to score maybe twice all game and McKee came up big when they did. Great game on both sides of the ice for the whole team.

Posted by: mrk77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 09:58PM

probably the dirtiest team in the country -- glad to see we killed them while lynah was rockin'. can't wait for tomorrow night.

Posted by: Drew042 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:05PM

-I thought the team played one of its best games in recent weeks. Yes, they sat back in the third period and Clarkson brought it a bit more than they had been, but with a 5 goal lead and Clarkson cleary tying to bait any Cornell player into a fight, I am ok with that.
-Iggulden continues to play out of his mind. He is a force everytime he sets foot on the ice (never thought I would say that:-) )
-Cam really wanted to score a goal, he was trying to pot one the entire night.
-Much like the Union game a few weeks ago, Clarkson's D played out very far on the penalty kill, leaving not much room at the point. This seemed to throw us off for the first few pp, but we figured out how to get around it soon enough.
-I have seen Clarkson play countless times and every time I see them I swear they play dirtier and dirtier. They were clearly trying to injure our players and always bitched to the ref when caught. Here's hoping no one gets hurt tomorrow night. LGR!!!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:11PM

[Q]Drew042 Wrote:
I have seen Clarkson play countless times and every time I see them I swear they play dirtier and dirtier. They were clearly trying to injure our players and always bitched to the ref when caught. Here's hoping no one gets hurt tomorrow night. LGR!!![/q]
And also that no one is baited into anything that gets him DQ'd from the next game. :-(

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:15PM

Was very happy with how they played tonight. Sat back a bit in the third period though. Dominated exactly how I expected them to. Now it's time to do what they couldn't do last year.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:48PM

McKee's stats (1.23 GAA, 94.5% save %, 9 shutouts) after yet another shutout are remarkably close to Lenny's from 02-03 (1.20 GAA, 94.0% save %, 9 shutouts).

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:49PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Sat back a bit in the third period though.[/q]

I would have been embarrassed if we had scored 10 goals like Michigan tonight. It seems like we've sat on leads quite a bit this year.

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:03PM

Excellent game by our guys. Clarkson is so ridiculously dirty that I don't even know what to say. I do not understand what kind of coach lets his team be so undisciplined.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:12PM

[Q]Pace Wrote:

Excellent game by our guys. Clarkson is so ridiculously dirty that I don't even know what to say. I do not understand what kind of coach lets his team be so undisciplined.[/q]

Amen. I won't comment on Roll.

What happened at the end of the game? No Lynah salute. No shaking of hands.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:14PM

Ok, I see all you guys trashing Clarkson for being dirty and now ripping Roll. So please tell me what happened since I missed the game.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:23PM

Traditionally in a multi-game playoff series there is no handshake until the series is decided.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 11, 2005 11:26PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Traditionally in a multi-game playoff series there is no handshake until the series is decided.

Beeeej[/q]

Thanks. I could have sworn they did last year, but I must be dreaming...again. Same true of the salute?

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:30PM

No idea - that would be a question about Schafer's philosophy, whereas the handshake thing is true across the NCAA.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:44PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Ok, I see all you guys trashing Clarkson for being dirty and now ripping Roll. So please tell me what happened since I missed the game.[/q]

I dunno, the game turned chippy, like seemingly every Cornell-Clarkson game does once the outcome is no longer in doubt. Roll was complaining to the refs about something post-game, with the unfortunate effect that the home team left the ice before most of the visitors. I imagine we'll get an idea from the postgame interviews.

BTW, this finally tied up the all-time series, right? It's been a long time coming. (And the magnitude of this accomplishment is an implicit compliment of the Clarkson program, BTW.)

Date: March 12, 2005 12:02AM

I've seen a few games that have been chippy on both sides (much as some posters here don't believe cornell has ever been "chippy" under Schafer) from the start of the game.

And make no mistake, I know that Roll does not like this stuff. To a great degree I think it will decline once he has all his own recruits playing for him.

I recall a number of years ago when Clarkson finally tied up the series after cornell having held the all time series lead for many years. So it has swung once again, as it may well do again. That's the beauty of a great rivalry.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:03AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

Ok, I see all you guys trashing Clarkson for being dirty and now ripping Roll. So please tell me what happened since I missed the game.[/Q]
I dunno, the game turned chippy, like seemingly every Cornell-Clarkson game does once the outcome is no longer in doubt. Roll was complaining to the refs about something post-game, with the unfortunate effect that the home team left the ice before most of the visitors. I imagine we'll get an idea from the postgame interviews.

[/q]

Yes, you'll get an idea as to why there was no salute :-).

As far as Roll and why the Clarkson players were still on the ice, the refs were apparently suggesting that they stick around for a handshake. There was just some confusion because - as has been mentioned - there isn't usually a handshake mid-series. Anyway, so that's what Roll was talking to the refs about (apparently). I don't think he was complaining at the time.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:13AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Roll was complaining to the refs about something post-game, with the unfortunate effect that the home team left the ice before most of the visitors. I imagine we'll get an idea from the postgame interviews.[/q]

I could be wrong, but it looked to me that Feola was trying to stop Clarkson from leaving the ice, and trying to force them to shake hands with the Cornell players, who were still congregagted around McKee at the east end of the rink. It looked like it got pretty heated between Feola and Roll, and as they were jawing at each other, the Cornell players started to leave the ice. Feola had his back to this, and seemed to realize after most Cornell players were already off the ice that the handshakes just weren't going to happen.

I have no idea why there was no salute.
Andy W.

Date: March 12, 2005 12:13AM

Just baffling as to how Clarkson could possibly be complaining about the refs at this stage of the season considering they get a ton of penalties every single night. After so many games where they are short handed so much, one would think that maybe they would look in the mirror and recognize that is their style of play, not the reffing.
I'm a bit concerned for tomorrow night as Clarkson clearly gets very chippy and dirty as the game gets more out of reach or in this case, the series. I actually like Roll (have spoken to him a few times), but he just has no control over his team and they continue to be very dirty.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:16AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

And make no mistake, I know that Roll does not like this stuff. To a great degree I think it will decline once he has all his own recruits playing for him.
[/q]
Exactly my feeling. I don't want to go back and dig up the stats, but his teams were relatively clean at Oswego. Under his successor, Ed Gosek, the penalty numbers have started to creep back up.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:19AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
I recall a number of years ago when Clarkson finally tied up the series after cornell having held the all time series lead for many years.[/q]

I was under the impression that Clarkson had held the lead since time immemorial. I went back and looked at Greg's "games by opponent" page [www.tbrw.info] and it looks like the last time the series was tied was in prehistoric times, at 1-1-1. Then Tech rolled off 12 more wins in a row and led the series until tonight.

BTW, I keep forgetting this, does the mini-game officially count towards the all-time record?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:17AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
BTW, I keep forgetting this, does the mini-game officially count towards the all-time record?[/q]

Yup, it does (and I can still see those damn Tretowiczes...)

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:26AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

Ok, I see all you guys trashing Clarkson for being dirty and now ripping Roll. So please tell me what happened since I missed the game.[/Q]

[/Q]
Yes, you'll get an idea as to why there was no salute .

[/q]

There is a noticeable difference in the way Cornell is handling the little leaving the ice mind-games. Last year Pegs got into a shouting match with the Clarkson player about being the last to leave the ice. This year, Clarkson tried to do the same thing, but the Big Red just ignored them. They also skated off without a salute, while Clarkson stayed on the ice as long as they could.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:33AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
And make no mistake, I know that Roll does not like this stuff [chippy play/penalties]. To a great degree I think it will decline once he has all his own recruits playing for him.
[/q]

Perhaps. Clarkson's seniors have played a total of 177 player-games this season, and racked up 218 PIMs, for 1.23 PIM/GP average which *is* the highest on the team. However, the freshmen were second, having played 237 games and collected 253 PIM (1.07 PIM/GP), including the highest and fourth most frequently penalized players. The juniors were third with .96 PIM/GP, and the sophomores were the least penalized at .65 PIM/GP. (Team average = .97 PIM/GP)

So yes, it does look like getting rid of the seniors will help the penalty situation, but the freshmen appear to have some discipline issues, too. Perhaps once the leadership (or lack thereof) turns over, the freshmen will clean up their acts, too.

For reference, Cornell's most penalized class was the juniors, at 0.90 PIM/GP and Cornell's team average was .76 PIM/GP

Date: March 12, 2005 01:35AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

[/Q]

[/Q]
There is a noticeable difference in the way Cornell is handling the little leaving the ice mind-games. Last year Pegs got into a shouting match with the Clarkson player about being the last to leave the ice. This year, Clarkson tried to do the same thing, but the Big Red just ignored them. They also skated off without a salute, while Clarkson stayed on the ice as long as they could.

[/q]

The Pegoraro verbal fight about being the last to leave the ice happened against Western Michigan. Ever since, Pegoraro is just the last one to leave the ice for Cornell rather than for both teams.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:41AM

Good game, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves. We're in exactly the same spot as last year, minus one Clarkson goal, two black eyes, and syphilis.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:52AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Tub(a) Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

[/Q]

[/Q]

[/Q]
The Pegoraro verbal fight about being the last to leave the ice happened against Western Michigan. Ever since, Pegoraro is just the last one to leave the ice for Cornell rather than for both teams.[/q]

Thanks for the correction. The awful parts of last season (e.g. NEARLY THE ENTIRE THING) just seem to blend together sometimes.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 01:57AM

i didnt even notice 2 shg in the box score. i read it in the recap and had to go back and look to be sure. dont tell anyone, but we can score goals adn have good defence. coach is all "we are a team, we play in a system .... blah blah" but i feel like he is saying "cut it loose boys, put as many in the net as you want..." in the locker room. its like this secret weapon that cornell has that last year and a few times in '03 i wished they had used a little sooner. oh yeah, dan glover, told you so.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 02:00AM

you only shake at the end of the series, if its a series. otherwise at the end of the game.

Date: March 12, 2005 02:02AM

I still thought it was a bit odd for them not to salute the fans although I don't forsee losing any sleep tonight over it.

Posted by: Section N Guy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 08:36AM

It seemed that the players chose beforehand not to salute to show that they felt that they still had work left to do. That they had nothing to celebrate until the series was over. After last year's experience, I thought it was great that they just left the ice.
How about Clarkson taking two of the worst penalties I've seen in awhile. The first was when Cornell was being called for icing (and we converted on PP), and the second when they had their best chance of the game - a 3 on 2 in the 2nd period. Knuckleheads! Did you notice that on the last shift of the game we had Vartressian, Sawada, and Bitz out there. Just in case they wanted to discuss things at the end of the game!

Date: March 12, 2005 09:36AM

[Q]Section N Guy Wrote:

It seemed that the players chose beforehand not to salute to show that they felt that they still had work left to do. That they had nothing to celebrate until the series was over. After last year's experience, I thought it was great that they just left the ice...Did you notice that on the last shift of the game we had Vartressian, Sawada, and Bitz out there. Just in case they wanted to discuss things at the end of the game! [/q]

I don't have a problem with them wanting to leave the ice because they still have unfinished business. The salute, however, is one of the best traditions in college sports. I go to a lot of SU football and basketball games where the crowd begins leaving with about 5 minutes left in the game -- granted beating traffic takes on a different meaning with 30-50,000. It's pretty impressive having a tradition where, win or lose, you keep people in the house and salute each other after the game.

Good observation about the last shift; I hadn't noticed that at all.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:24AM

Embarrassment isn't the only issue for Michigan. It's more evidence that they're a one-deminsional team.

Date: March 12, 2005 10:39AM

or just in case cornell wanted to get chippy...lol

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:08PM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:

Thanks for the correction. The awful parts of last season (e.g. NEARLY THE ENTIRE THING) just seem to blend together sometimes.
[/q]
You are spoiled. I don't care how "unsuccessful" it was: 2004 was not a bad season. Bad seasons don't involve winning Christmas tournaments, five game winning streaks towards the end of the season, and the #2 seed in the playoffs. Maybe if you were '95 instead of '05, you'd get that.

I repeat: you are spoiled.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:18PM

Any season where we manage to put up a banner can't be considered a bad season.

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 12:46PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

Section N Guy Wrote:

It seemed that the players chose beforehand not to salute to show that they felt that they still had work left to do. That they had nothing to celebrate until the series was over. After last year's experience, I thought it was great that they just left the ice...Did you notice that on the last shift of the game we had Vartressian, Sawada, and Bitz out there. Just in case they wanted to discuss things at the end of the game! [/Q]
I don't have a problem with them wanting to leave the ice because they still have unfinished business. The salute, however, is one of the best traditions in college sports. I go to a lot of SU football and basketball games where the crowd begins leaving with about 5 minutes left in the game -- granted beating traffic takes on a different meaning with 30-50,000. It's pretty impressive having a tradition where, win or lose, you keep people in the house and salute each other after the game.

Good observation about the last shift; I hadn't noticed that at all.[/q]

I have to agree with ithacat. I don't see the salute as our team saying "work's done, we won". I see it as a "thank you fans". Therefore, I think that it is appropriate, nay, expected after every game.

That said, it's not something to worry about too much. I was just surprised.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:41PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

or just in case cornell wanted to get chippy...lol[/q]I'm not saying it is inconceivable, but the fact that they didn't get chippy is evidence that they were out there to quell any potential bad behavior from Clarkson. That there wasn't any rough stuff could be seen as evidence that it worked, but I think we can agree that it is probably because George Roll isn't that kind of coach.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:56PM

Latulippe has got to be the softest hockey player I've ever seen. I think he spent more time resurfacing the ice last night than the zamboni. He's so frustrating to watch because he's probably be a decent player if he'd play like a man. Anybody with me in unmercifully rediculing this kid during warmups?

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nrp4.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 05:30PM

I'm comfortable with the team taking the "series" approach to the salute and saving it until the end of this weekend, especially given how last year's quarterfinal matchup with Clarkson went. One great thing is that the team does the salute win or lose. Arguably the most moving salute I personally was part of was the one after the '96 NCAA first round loss to Lake Superior in Albany. Cornell played its heart out, with P.C. Druin ringing the would-be tying goal off the cross bar in the final moments. With Lake Superior heading off the ice, the Cornell team skated over to the corner of the arena where the Cornell fans were and saluted us --if anyone had walked into Pepsi Arena (then the Knickerbocker Arena, I think) at just that moment, they would have sworn Cornell had won and the scoreboard was mistaken.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: March 12, 2005 10:20PM

moved to the right thread
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2005 10:34PM by calgARI '07.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login