Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Really, REALLY off-topic: Pepsi

Posted by Will 
Really, REALLY off-topic: Pepsi
Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2002 03:32PM

Is anyone else tired of hearing the stupid Pepsi jingle during the commercials on the radio/webcast? Y'know, the "Joy of Cola" one? Man, I hate that. I like Pepsi, I just hate that song with a vengeance.

Sorry, I'm just a bit peeved. LET'S GO RED!!!

Re: Really, REALLY off-topic: Pepsi
Posted by: Susan Newman 08 (---.aburny.adelphia.net)
Date: March 24, 2002 05:25PM

you think your sick of it...not only am i hearing it on the webcast, my mom keeps singing it nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.tnt7.baton-rouge.la.da.uu.net)
Date: March 24, 2002 07:10PM

Well, it was a lot more fun when Aretha Franklin was singing it...

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2002 09:46PM

Speaking of Pepsi, the ECAC should be ashamed that they don't have their tournament in the Pepsi Arena in Albany. The facility in Lake Placid is third rate. I have to conclude that the money split must be better in the Lake Placid deal. At least I hope that is the reason that they have it in such a crazy place.

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2002 09:58PM

Well, Lake Placid is a little nicer than Albany (having been to both places this past week), if not in accomodations, definately in atmosphere.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 24, 2002 09:58PM

Amen, Marty.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2002 10:32PM

This having been my first year in Lake Placid, I have to say, I *loved* it. I didn't get to spend much time in the actually town, but the several times I drove through the main town it seemed really nice, the risk was great, and it was just a great area.

The *only* thing I would change... convert the ice to standard... I know that's a pipe dream, but if there's one bad thing, that's it. Nothing against Olympic Ice, but I just don't like that the championship is decided on a non-standard surface. It's not a deal-killer, it's just non-ideal.

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2002 10:35PM

Strictly speaking, the ice at Placid *is* the official standard. NCAA rulebook goes by the Olympic sheet, unless I'm much mistaken. However, the NCAA rulebook provides that caveat that the ice should be "as close as possible" to the measurements given, and it's interesting that the tourney games are all held on NHL sized surfaces.

Albany vs Placid
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.tnt6.baton-rouge.la.da.uu.net)
Date: March 24, 2002 11:28PM

Oh no, not this holy war again. rolleyes Count me in the camp that finds Placid completely magical and wouldn't trade that magic for the convenience of Albany in a million years.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 24, 2002 11:48PM

This is a holy war? Sorry... I retract my statements ;-) .

I agree, LP is magical and I wouldn't trade it for any place. Interesting to know that Olympic Size is technically the official size... seems odd for 95% of rinks to be "North American sized" then, though I guess it's a good thing for us/Schafer/Cornell.

-Fred, DeltaOne81 '03

New Poll Topic?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.tnt6.baton-rouge.la.da.uu.net)
Date: March 25, 2002 09:29AM

Is it time for the annual poll?

The ECACs should be held in
( ) Lake Placid
( ) Albany
( ) Worcester
( ) Hartford

(Last option added for Hayes's benefit.)

Re: New Poll Topic?
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: March 25, 2002 09:45AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Is it time for the annual poll?

The ECACs should be held in
( ) Lake Placid
( ) Albany
( ) Worcester
( ) Hartford

(Last option added for Hayes's benefit.)

Hehe.

Seriously, Age and I have killed many a beer discussing this topic. He still maintains it should be in LP every year. I argue that it should alternate between LP and Hartford. I actually argued for Hartford before I even lived in CT.

Reasons to have it in Hartford.
a) Easy to get to via major interstates (I95->I91, I84, I90, etc)
b) large enough airport for cheap flights
c) Amtrak service
d) Roughly the weighted center of the ECAC geographically
e) NHL sized ice
f) Hartford/Springfield have a large hockey fan base left over from the Whalers)
g) plenty of hotels that aren't 30 minutes away
h) more than one restaurant open after the late game

Reasons to have the game in LP.
a) tradition
b) history
c) idyllic mountain setting
d) prime rib at cameron's

Re: New Poll Topic?
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2002 10:39AM

However, that left over hockey base you refer to may not (will not...IMHO) translate to "college" hockey...

The closest you'd come to a core group would be the Yale fans.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 25, 2002 11:37AM

The one thing LP has going for it that, IMHO, Hartford never could is that for three days every March, LP becomes CollegeHockeyVille. They actually love to see us there - we spend our money there, we're generally very well-behaved, and we appreciate all that they do to make us feel welcome (though yes, it would be nice if some of the restaurants stayed open a little later that weekend).

I'll bet even ten years into a LP/Hartford rotation, you couldn't poll the Hartford population and get more than 2% who knew what the ECAC was.

Beeeej

Posted by: Grady Whittenburg (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: March 25, 2002 01:02PM

Back to the original thought on this thread: No one can possibly be more sick of that tired and worn out Pepsi jingle than yours truly! Pumping through the old headset everytime it's played for God knows how many years. I'm sort of surprised that that jingle hasn't triggered some violent psychotic reaction amongst the Faitful listeners (similar to the Mary Hart/ET mental wigouts her voice apparently set off in a select few many years ago). I HATE THAT PEPSI JINGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-(

I'm a little less passionate on the LP subject. I'll go wherever the games are and have a great time regardless. Don't like the big ice though...wish it was built with adjustable boards as was the Saddledome in Calgary for the Olympic games held there to allow regualtion or Olympic dependent on the event's preference.

Posted by: Will (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 10:19AM

Pepsi, Lake Placid...whatever, I started the topic and I don't care what it turns out to be about in the end. :-D

So, what are my opinions on Lake Placid? I don't think I can really say much; I'm embarassed to admit that I've never been there...next year, though, once I have a car of my own, you can bet I'll be there with the rest of the Faithful. ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.phys.lsu.edu)
Date: March 26, 2002 12:02PM

But Grady, please tell us...

...Are you sure it was chicken?

Posted by: Grady Whittenburg (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 12:20PM

LOL...

Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2002 07:15PM

Lake Placid is the happiest place on earth (for the ECAC weekend). Anyone who says DisneyWorld is the happiest place is wrong.

Date: March 26, 2002 08:30PM

I'd have to say playing hockey ANYWHERE is the happiest place on earth \_...:-D

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2002 09:44PM

I'd have to say playing hockey ANYWHERE is the happiest place on earth \_...
Could we modify that to CU playing anywhere ... There certainly many other "hockey" games that I'd not be happy at. snore

Date: March 26, 2002 09:52PM

well....yeah, but although some hockey games may be boring or, annoying, when you are playing you are always happy, accept for when you get an occasional penalty and other such times

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login