Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What TV service do do i get?

Posted by The Rancor 
What TV service do do i get?
Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 10:58AM

ok, i'm gonna have to get TV this week so that i can continue watching the Big Red. which system do i get? I'm in south florida.... i dont think that the cable service has cstv, Direct TV has it, i didnt see it on dish.... i realy don want the long term commitment, so who do i choose? do i need cstv to see any playoff games?help me lynah faithful, you're my only hope!

Re: What TV service do do i get?
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2005 12:23PM

No contest. Just get DirecTV. I had DISH and waited and waited and called and waited and there's no hope with them. DTV is worlds better. Cable's just a crap shoot.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 12:32PM

I live in Ithaca and will be at the games this weekend in person, so perhaps I have not been following this as closely as I might have been, but my understanding is that the only boradcast of the Friday and Saturday Cornell-Clarkson games are to be on the web. No cable or dish channel will have those. I believe that if a third game is necessary, and the Colgate series does not go to a third game, that that game will be broadcast.

So the answer for the original poster is XMI (the web service), not cable or dish.

Right?
Andy W.

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 01:36PM

ecac tourny is a cstv production.
FF is an espn production.
regionals...I had that 2OT game vs BC taped...but from what station??? nesn maybe?

directv = good. but i don't know if you'd get the free system and various other discounts if you don't go with the year long commitment.
directv has been good to me and the only televised games I haven't been able to watch are the ones on Time Warner local...but of course, if I actually lived within the viewing area, I'd be at the game.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 01:37PM

[Q]andyw2100 Wrote:
So the answer for the original poster is XMI (the web service), not cable or dish.

Right?
Andy W.[/q]
Right. For this weekend.

But for the ECACs in Albany and the NCAA regionals, it's not "right."

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 01:41PM

Let's recap :)

ECAC tournament semifinals ... ECAC Production ... being picked up by various cable outlets (including Time Warner in Ithaca) ... and CSTV. CSTV tape delaying Game 1 (the wouldbe Cornell game). Game 2, live on CSTV.

ECAC tournament finals ... CSTV production ... live on CSTV, obviously, and being picked up by cable too.

NCAA Regionals ... ESPN production ... airing on new ESPN-U (available on DirecTV) ... and probably syndicated to local RSN affiliates as in years past.

NCAA Frozen Four ... ESPN production ... semis on ESPN2 ... Finals on ESPN

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 01:41PM

Is CSTV showing anything this weekend or do all of the league tournaments have their own local coverage?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 11, 2005 01:44PM

[Q]adamw Wrote:
ECAC tournament semifinals ... ECAC Production ... being picked up by various cable outlets (including Time Warner in Ithaca) ... and CSTV. CSTV tape delaying Game 1 (the wouldbe Cornell game). Game 2, live on CSTV.

ECAC tournament finals ... CSTV production ... live on CSTV, obviously, and being picked up by cable too.
[/q]

Aren't both of these being streamed by XMI as well, like this weekend's games?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 03:12PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

Is CSTV showing anything this weekend or do all of the league tournaments have their own local coverage? [/q]

No hockey is on the schedule for on Friday or Saturday, but the CHA final is on Sunday at 8PM and rebroadcast on Monday:

[tvlistings2.zap2it.com]

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 04:42PM

thank you, adam, just what i needed.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 05:43PM

Satellite TV gets you more regional sports networks than cable. This patchwork quilt gives you a fighting chance of seeing league (not postseason) Minnesota or BU hockey, or Oklahoma State wrestling, stuff you probably won't see so often otherwise.

Both satellite (definitely) and premium cable should (should) have CSTV. For sports, you'll probably find DirecTV better than DISH. You can browse their channel lineups online.

Satellite quality can be variable but that doesn't matter if cable quality is better yet cable doesn't have the channels you want.

Just wait till you see a small-ball sport (hockey, lacrosse, golf) on HDTV. It's awesome.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 06:05PM

Get TIVO with your package also. It's usually offered cheap ($100 or so) for new subscribers, and I just checked Directv's home page and it's now $99 less a $50 rebate. It's great (just hit the replay button and watch that Cornell goal over and over) and it'll be a lot more expensive if you try to add it later.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 06:12PM

Good advice. Tivo within the satellite box improves quality because with an external Tivo box you have to decompress the MPEG2 signal when it leaves the satellite tuner and then a nanosecond later it gets re-encoded as MPEG-2 on the Tivo box.

If you have inclination toward HDTV in the near future, pay for Tivo monthly not the lifetime subscription. You'll probably be seduced by the quality of high-def. All the Tivo-in-satellite tuner boxes I know of don't allow for an external signal to be recorded, so when you dump the standard def DSS box for high-def, your investment in TiVo is a goner.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 11, 2005 06:29PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

adamw Wrote:

[/Q]
Aren't both of these being streamed by XMI as well, like this weekend's games?[/q]

The XMI site says that it will have the semis, nothing yet about the finals or the price of the semis.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2005 06:58PM

the semi's on XMI will be free.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login