Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs. Clarkson in the Late 60s

Posted by Scersk '97 
Cornell vs. Clarkson in the Late 60s
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 04, 2005 05:15PM

Perhaps this isn't the best time to bring this subject up, considering that it will probably lead to another flame war, but I was wondering why there was a large gap in scheduled meetings between Cornell and Clarkson during the late 60s, when the two, undoubtedly, were amongst the best teams in the East.

Between November 29th, 1966 (Dryden's "that damn bell at Clarkson" comment) and February 2nd, 1971, the only regular season game between the two was at the 1967 ECAC Holiday Festival in New York City. I understand that ECAC scheduling at the time was voluntary and unbalanced, but, if you look at Berge's TBRW chart of regular season meetings at Lynah [www.tbrw.info], no other team (save BU, who obviously wouldn't deign to play us at Lynah for a bit) displays a similar gap.

So, older folks, why did that happen? Was there some sort of animosity between Ceglarski and Harkness? I would've understood if it were Harvard that refused to play us--writers at the Crimson during the time were constantly complaining about Harkness's "unfair" recruiting of Canadians [www.thecrimson.com] --but Clarkson, at the time, was a very good fit.

And, secondary ruminations:

1) Why did we play Maine so much there for a while?
2) Looking at the standings from the early years of the three division ECAC [www.augenblick.org], Cornell was playing a game more than some of the other Ivys. I've looked and, typically, this game was vs. SLU. Any reasons?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2005 05:18PM by Scersk '97.

Re: Cornell vs. Clarkson in the Late 60s
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:10PM

The short answer is that it had a LOT to do with Harkness's animosity towards Lenny C. He basically refused to make the North Country trip which normally involved playing Tech and SLU on consecutive nights as is done now. When they did play on 2/2/71, it was a single game trip on a Tueday night...I remember it well! When asked why he didnt want to make the trip as most other teams did, Ned was SUPPOSED to have said ( I do not know this for sure)..."Why should we? We're Cornell!"

Note that the only way Clarkson was able to get cornell to play at Tech on 2/2/71, a game that I saw live as a freshman and which is still the most exciting game I have ever seen at any level, was to agree to play at Lynah the following two years. Clarkson won the '71 game on an OT GWG by Alf Maki.

In one of the next two years at Lynah, Clarkson ended cornell's long home ice unbeaten streak which was something like 74 games? I forget the exact number, it may have been greater.

There's a lot to the history of the rivalry back then but I don't have time right now. I'm sure Al D has a take on it as well, as well as any other "old-timers".

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:29PM

Yes, Clarkson ended the longest Lynah Rink home ice unbeaten streak at 63 home games. It ran from January 14, 1967 through January 29, 1972. I was in at Ithaca High School when it started and a senior at Cornell when it ended. Quite a ride. And that Clarkson game...that was the only home lost in the 1971-72 season.

Overall from beginning of the 1965 season through 1974, nine years, Cornell lost just four home games and tied once.

Larry '72

Posted by: jkahn (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 07:45PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

" 2/2/71, a game that I saw live as a freshman and which is still the most exciting game I have ever seen at any level "[/q]

From a Cornell perspective, disappointing was the word rather than exciting. Rich, I'd appreciate if you could refresh my memory - I think Brian McCutcheon scored the Cornell goal, perhaps late in the game. Other things I do remember was that it was -17 F in Potsdam that day and Kevin Pettit didn't play as he had been suspended (perhaps for fighting in the previous game). I'm sure it was exciting, but we all know the truly exciting ones are the ones you win.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 08:43PM

I was there too.

Bill Duthie scored the Cornell goal 1:52 into the second period. Bob Baldwin tied it for Clarkson midway through the third. And Maki got the game-winner with 42 seconds left in OT.

And yes, Pettit got a fighting major in the previous game and had to sit out the Clarkson game.

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:00PM

FYI - I wasn't there - I was less than a year old ... but in the book Arthur and I did, there's a photo from this game by none other than Larry (thanks again Larry). The photo is of the Duthie goal. In the caption, Len Ceglarski is quoted as saying it was "the greatest college hockey game I've ever seen."

Or you could buy the book (*cough* shameless-plug *cough*)

Re: Cornell vs. Clarkson 2/2/71
Date: March 05, 2005 11:22PM

I think I would remember this game just as clearly, though not as fondly naturally, had cornell won. Somewhere here I have th e program from the game, just one of those standard "Coke", or was it "Pepsi" 4 page things with the lineups inside...no stats, pictures, or schedules, just the lineup. It's a mess, I really should have taken better care of it.

The goaltending was superb, Bruce "Bulldog" Bullock, the two time AA vs Brian Cropper. I think Bruce was an inch taller, something like 5 '7" vs Cropper's 5'6". Each made a handful of dazzling saves! And SOG were equal until Maki's GWG. The place went nuts!

But then, it had been nuts for days leading up to the game. After all, it was the first meeting between the teams that had battled in both the ECAC and NCAA finals the previous year. All of us science and enginnering frosh had a big Physics exam coming up the next night so....at 4 pm, when the doors to Clarkson Arena opened, a throng of freshmen began filing in. And soon, there we were...sitting in coats and scarves and gloves in the frigid arena, studying Physics. If I said we studied for hours until the game began, I'd be exaggerating but there are pictures in the yearbook of us doing so. Some of us had "liquids" to keep us warm.

When the pep band showed up and started to play about 30-45 mins before game time, finally we had something to break the monotony of studying. A sign of how crazy that place would be took place when the teams hit the ice for warm-up. The volume was deafening and all these years later, I recall that it was just as loud the entire game with the capper coming when Maki ended it.

As a life long Ranger fan, I still feel that this game far surpassed any of their playoff games for sheer pulse-pounding emotion and excitement in the Rangers' 94 Cup year....and I saw them all except one.

Funny how I forgot that Duthie and Baldwin scored the first two goals. I remember Duthie and always thougt he was underrated. And Baldwin? He never saw a lot of ice time, he was not a standout skater either, but he sure had a nose for the net. I bet the longest shot he ever scored on was 6 feet.

A classic game, I wonder if anyone filmed it. That was the one that personally established the great Clarkson-Cornell rivalry.

Date: March 05, 2005 11:25PM

Adam,

How do I get a copy?

I do recall Lenny talking to us about that game at a Clarkson hockey reuniion a few years back.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:29PM

Follow the link on the main Forum page... it's a photo of the book's cover.

Outstanding book.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 11:48PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
Outstanding book.

Beeeej[/q]
I second that.

Date: March 06, 2005 12:09AM

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Keep 'em comin'.

In general, I try to forget losses. I really can't remember many outside of the playoffs. (I still have nightmares of LSSU's Aldredge darting from the penalty box to corral a gift breakaway puck and put it home.)

Save one. A 7-5 barnstormer at Gutterson in 1997 where the heretofore offensively anemic Red came surging back from a large first period deficit only to fall barely short. Stick checks, the Gutterson "vomitorium," the look on our players' faces as if they would've played a thousand extra periods if allowed: this game was the moment they decided to start taking the season seriously, setting up the eventual championship.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.wdc2-4.15.103.5.wdc2.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 02:05AM

After consulting the schedule in those days on TBRW, I'm not sure the record backs up the argument that Ned refused to make the North Country trip:

Year   Clarkson   St. Lawrence

64      H               A
65      A               H
66      H               --
67      A               H
68      ECAC Hol   A
          Tourn
69      --               A
70      --               ECAC Hol
                            Tourn
71      A                H
72      H                A

(Bertrand took over as coach in 71. These years added for comparison.)

So the only years there was no North Country trip were 1966 and 1970. Remember that this was before the Hockey East split and that Cornell played each Ivy home and away. Didn't leave much latitude to play each of the other ECAC teams more than once. By way of comparison BU - probably our biggest rival in the later Harkness years - didn't enter our schedule until 67 (Boston Arena Holiday Tournament) and didn't enter our RS H/A series until 68. Most years we played them only once in the RS, but we did alternate H & A until at least the mid-70's. I have no idea wheter there was bad blood between Ned and Ceglarski, but the Clarkson series looks fairly typical for the time.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2005 02:18AM by ninian '72.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 03:04AM

The North Country trip is defined as playing in Canton and Potsdam on back-to-back nights, as RPI has done every year except for one since 1951-52. Anything less is being wimpy (or sane ;-) ).

Since a link to Adam's book has been posted, I'll give Kurt Stutt a plug. If anyone wants to see Ned in his younger days. :-) [shop.store.yahoo.com]. Also available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Edit: It also contains a picture of Doug Hearns scoring against Ken Somebody in December 1968. :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2005 03:05AM by ursaminor.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:07AM

Thanks all ... Yeah, Rich, just follow the link as Beeej suggested...

I didn't even realize Kurt had done a similar book. Wish he, or someone, would've said something earlier. We should be pumping that on USCHO too.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 07, 2005 09:34AM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

The North Country trip is defined as playing in Canton and Potsdam on back-to-back nights, as RPI has done every year except for one since 1951-52. Anything less is being wimpy (or sane ). [/q]

If you say so. rolleyes FWIW, Cornell didn't schedule any back-to-back games in those days, except for tournaments. Typically they played a mid-week game and then Saturday. (Most of the ECAC schedule worked like this.) The travel pattern to the North Country was consistent with the remainder of Cornell's schedule. RichS calling Ned out for refusing to schedule a two-game North Country trip just doesn't make sense in this context.

Posted by: ugarte (---.axiomlegal.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 11:59AM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
RichS calling Ned out for refusing to schedule a two-game North Country trip just doesn't make sense in this context.
[/q]Well, one of the things RichS said was that there was some personal animosity with the Clarkson coach, and there were a few SLU only trips.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 07, 2005 12:50PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

ninian '72 Wrote:
RichS calling Ned out for refusing to schedule a two-game North Country trip just doesn't make sense in this context.
[/Q]
Well, one of the things RichS said was that there was some personal animosity with the Clarkson coach, and there were a few SLU only trips.[/q]

Typically we alternated away games with SLU(t) and Clarkson. There were only two years (69 & 70) without a RS Clarkson game and only two years (66 & 70) without an away game in the North Country. Although Ned was intense and surely ruffled a lot of feathers, there are other possible explanations. E.g., we added a H/A away series with Penn to our schedule in 68, which meant that we needed to cut games with other ECAC opponents. It may have just been Clarkson's turn in 69 and 70. Anybody with more direct knowledge on this? Where's Al when we need him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2005 09:50AM by ninian '72.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 01:36PM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:

ugarte Wrote:

ninian '72 Wrote:
[/Q]
Well, one of the things RichS said was that there was some personal animosity with the Clarkson coach, and there were a few SLU only trips.[/Q]
Typically we alternated away games with SLU(t) and Clarkson. There was only one year (69) without a RS Clarkson game. Although Ned was intense and surely ruffled a lot of feathers, there are other possible explanations. E.g., we added a H/A away series with Penn to our schedule in 68, which meant that we needed to cut games with other ECAC opponents. It may have just been Clarkson's turn in 69. Anybody with more direct knowledge on this? Where's Al when we need him?
[/q]
Al's right here but doesn't have much light to shed. I was not aware of any Ned/Len feud at the time.

Looks to me like we alternated home-and-away with SLU from 1964 (Ned's first season) through 1970 (his last). We also played SLU four times in regular-season tournaments during that period, thrice in NYC and once in Syracuse.

From 1964 through 1967, we alternated home-and-away with Clarkson, playing Clarkson in the North Country the years we played SLU at Lynah. In 1968 the only regular-season meeting was in the NYC holiday tournament. Clarkson may also have been the fourth team in some of those other NYC tournaments, but the two teams did not play each other. In 1969 and 1970 there were no regular-season games between Clarkson and Cornell. What to read into all that? Beats me.

Ned lost his first three regular-season games to Clarkson, and then the 1966 ECAC finals, but beat Clarkson in 1967 and 1968 (and, of course, twice in the 1970 post-season)--so I don't think it was fear of losing. Ninian's right in saying Penn's joining Division I caused two additional games to be added to our regular-season schedule in 1968--so someone had to be cut. Also, we added the Syracuse holiday tournament in both 1969 and 1970--so openings had to be cleared for those games as well.

I guess I'd suggest we not try to read too much into this. I'm sure the 1971 game in Potsdam--RichS's most endearing memory, it seems--was scheduled while Ned was still at Cornell, as Ned's departure wasn't announced until after the 1970 NCAAs. Cornell did not appear in Syracuse in 1971, and played in Syracuse rather than NYC (the latter tournament may have been dropped by the ECAC) in 1972, so this would have freed up two games allowing resumption of the regular-season games with Clarkson. It's likely something as straightforward and non-conspiratorial as that.

Date: March 07, 2005 03:30PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

From 1964 through 1967, we alternated home-and-away with Clarkson, playing Clarkson in the North Country the years we played SLU at Lynah. In 1968 the only regular-season meeting was in the NYC holiday tournament. Clarkson may also have been the fourth team in some of those other NYC tournaments, but the two teams did not play each other. In 1969 and 1970 there were no regular-season games between Clarkson and Cornell. What to read into all that? Beats me.[/q]

Turns out there were *two* ECAC Christmas tournaments at the time, the "ECAC Christmas Hockey Tournament" [www.augenblick.org] and the "ECAC Holiday Hockey Festival" [www.augenblick.org], in Boston and New York, respectively. It seems that Cornell and Clarkson just got scheduled for different cities in 69 and 70. I'm sure the ECAC had a hand in spreading out the good teams for these tournaments.

[Q]Ninian's right in saying Penn's joining Division I caused two additional games to be added to our regular-season schedule in 1968--so someone had to be cut. Also, we added the Syracuse holiday tournament in both 1969 and 1970--so openings had to be cleared for those games as well.[/Q]

That seems a reasonable answer for me. Both coaches also probably figured that they'd end up seeing each other in the playoffs, so that, if necessary, they could "settle it on the ice."

I have often wondered why older Clarkson grads express a perception of disrespect towards Clarkson by Cornell at the time. I wondered if there was anything behind the perception other than the normal partisanship of one's undergrad days. Of course, I'm conditioned quite a bit by my father, a Clarkson alum. He has stated, on numerous occasions, that they, "hated Cornell back then. Especially the Ferguson brothers." This scheduling anomaly probably just added fuel to the fire.

For the record, he and my mother, a SUNY Potsdamn grad (of course), have attended Cornell games since 1988 and cheer very loudly for the Red. For my freshman year, however, they switched their seats from L to O, just to be in the right place for the Clarkson game.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 03:48PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

From 1964 through 1967, we alternated home-and-away with Clarkson, playing Clarkson in the North Country the years we played SLU at Lynah. In 1968 the only regular-season meeting was in the NYC holiday tournament. Clarkson may also have been the fourth team in some of those other NYC tournaments, but the two teams did not play each other. In 1969 and 1970 there were no regular-season games between Clarkson and Cornell. What to read into all that? Beats me.[/Q]
Turns out there were *two* ECAC Christmas tournaments at the time, the "ECAC Christmas Hockey Tournament" and the "ECAC Holiday Hockey Festival" , in Boston and New York, respectively. It seems that Cornell and Clarkson just got scheduled for different cities in 69 and 70. I'm sure the ECAC had a hand in spreading out the good teams for these tournaments.

Ninian's right in saying Penn's joining Division I caused two additional games to be added to our regular-season schedule in 1968--so someone had to be cut. Also, we added the Syracuse holiday tournament in both 1969 and 1970--so openings had to be cleared for those games as well.[/Q]
That seems a reasonable answer for me. Both coaches also probably figured that they'd end up seeing each other in the playoffs, so that, if necessary, they could "settle it on the ice."

I have often wondered why older Clarkson grads express a perception of disrespect towards Clarkson by Cornell at the time. I wondered if there was anything behind the perception other than the normal partisanship of one's undergrad days. Of course, I'm conditioned quite a bit by my father, a Clarkson alum. He has stated, on numerous occasions, that they, "hated Cornell back then. Especially the Ferguson brothers." This scheduling anomaly probably just added fuel to the fire.

For the record, he and my mother, a SUNY Potsdamn grad (of course), have attended Cornell games since 1988 and cheer very loudly for the Red. For my freshman year, however, they switched their seats from L to O, just to be in the right place for the Clarkson game. [/q]

Great story, glad they have their priorities straight.
;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login