Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT - Hahvahd kids *ARE* Wicked Smaht - A genius walks among us

Posted by JohnnieAg'99 
OT - Hahvahd kids *ARE* Wicked Smaht - A genius walks among us
Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:03AM

And he didn't even get straight A's - imagine how smart the ones who do must be! :-/

A genius walks among us

Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick took his Wonderlic exam, and got every single question right. That ties him with Harvard's Pat McInally as the only two people who achieved a perfect score of 50 on the test. However, Fitzpatrick finished his exam in nine minutes! That has got to be a record.
[www.nfl.com]

IVY LEAGUE SPORTS
Each year at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, the potential draftees are subject to a variety of tests -- from running to jumping to weightlifting. They are also subjected to the Wonderlic Personnel Test.

E.F. 'Al' Wonderlic was a graduate student at Northwestern when he invented the test in 1930s and the NFL has been using it since the early 1970s.

It is akin to a 50-question IQ test and the players have just 12 minutes to complete it.

In a story about the test three years ago, ESPN.com's Jeff Merron reported that the average national score is 20. The average NFL score is 21. Chemists average 31. Programmers 29.

It is reported that the only player to ever ace the test was Harvard graduate Pat McInally, who would later play for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Harvard QB and Ivy Player of the Year Ryan Fitzpatrick was comically confident heading to Indianapolis, joking with the Gilbert (Ariz.) Republic, "I'll do my Harvard buddies proud when I do my Wonderlic."

And he did just that, according to Gil Brandt on NFL.com. Fitz completed the test in just nine minutes and scored a perfect 50.

Brandt wrote, "A genius walks among us."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Fitzpatrick hopes to be the genius who plays among them next season.
[www.ivyleaguesports.com]

Re: OT - Cornell kid almost as Wicked Smaht
Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:22PM

IIRC, Seth Payne shot up the draft board when he turned in the third-highest Wonderlic score of the year when he took the test in 1997. He ended up getting drafted nine spots ahead of Chad Levitt in the fourth round.

Levitt's failure to stick in the NFL was almost as disappointing to me as Ratushny's failure to stick in the NHL. At least Payne is still playing.

Re: OT - Hahvahd kids *ARE* Wicked Smaht - A genius walks among us
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:26PM

I was wondering what sort of difficulty the wonderlic test questions are like: Try this out

[espn.go.com]

15/15 for me.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:38PM

[Q]Chris 02 Wrote:

I was wondering what sort of difficulty the wonderlic test questions are like: Try this out

15/15 for me.[/q]

Yeah, but how long did it take you? Part of the point of the test is the limited time.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:54PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:
Yeah, but how long did it take you? Part of the point of the test is the limited time.[/q]About two minutes. The average high school student should have no problem with those questions, let alone a college graduate.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:08PM

Well, if the average national score is 20 out of 50 and the questions at ESPN are comparable then the average person would get about 7/15. Doesn't say much for the average person...

It's actually interesting what they're testing. Some of them are reading comprehension and simple math. But some are just trying to see if you're paying attention. Example: "How many of the five pairs of items listed below are exact duplicates? [names with small differences]" If you pay attention to what you're reading then no one should get this wrong. I guess the point is imply that they want to identify people who can't pick up on subtle details quickly. If you can't get this right it may mean you'lll have a hard time reading a defense or learning the playbook.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 06:11PM by KeithK.

Question for ugarte re. Ratushny
Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.royalusa.com)
Date: March 22, 2005 03:05PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
Levitt's failure to stick in the NFL was almost as disappointing to me as Ratushny's failure to stick in the NHL. At least Payne is still playing.[/q]

Do you know what happened with Dan? He did something to make people not happy. Winnipeg dumped him for a 9th round draft choice after he did well on the Olympic team. I also don't know why Pat Quinn didn't give him a chance in Vancouver - I guess he always goes with the vets.

BTW, Dan is going to law school now after getting a master's degree in business while he was playing in England. Very nice guy....

Dan was my favorite player ............ very smooth. Great on the power play. Hit people legally but very hard. Ah, those were the days.

Eric H. '92

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login