Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: 2005 lacrosse preview

Posted by Hillel Hoffmann 
OT: 2005 lacrosse preview
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:13PM

There have been few moments in the history of Cornell athletics as devastating as the death of George Boiardi. There also have been few moments in the history of Cornell athletics as redemptive as the sight of a sea of red 21 jerseys worn by Cornell fans in the Crescent during last year’s NCAA quarterfinals at Schoellkopf.

In the wake of Boiardi's passing, the Cornell lacrosse team pulled off a remarkable string of accomplishments. They won a bunch of tough, one-goal games. They beat Princeton on the road. They were co-winners of the Ivy League for the second year in a row. They finished in the top 10 and qualified for the NCAA tournament. They destroyed an excellent Hobart team in the first round. And they lost by one goal to a Navy team that nearly won the National Championship.

And that wasn't even their most lasting achievement. By carrying their burden in such a mature and sensitive way, the team, their families, the coaching staff, and the associated Athletics administrators did something that an army of counselors and PR professionals couldn’t have done: They helped heal us all -- not just Cornellians, but lacrosse fans everywhere. To an audience that eventually became international, they projected the best possible image of Cornell and the sport. In life, that’s what George did, so it was a fitting memorial.

I imagine this year’s team still feels some emotional fatigue. Despite some genuine stars, a solid work ethic, and an unusually strong performance against Johns Hopkins in the final scrimmage (an 8-7 loss at Homewood), I feel cautious about 2005. Maybe it’s the renewed strength of Cornell’s rivals, particularly Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, and Hobart. Maybe it’s the tough schedule, which includes three scary new opponents, each on the rise in 2005: Notre Dame (Saturday’s season-opening opponent), Army, and North Carolina. Maybe it’s the fact that Cornell typically slumps in odd seasons, when they play Syracuse on the road. Or heck, maybe it’s the fact that the Lax Swami picked Cornell to finish out of the top 10 this year. Admit it: He does have a knack for picking Cornell’s approximate end-of-season rank.

2005 PREVIEW

OFFENSE. When Andrew Collins graduated, he walked away with about 40 percent of the assists from an offense that was already alarmingly static. So who’s gonna get the ball to Cornell’s two superb finishers, seniors Sean Greenhalgh and Kevin Nee? Although Greenhalgh and Nee have diversified their games and have good off-ball instincts, they can’t be expected to create their own shots with regularity, and the leading third attackman candidates -- sophs David Mitchell and Henry Bartlett -- don’t seem to have Collins’ skill set. The answer emerged in last year’s playoff game against Hobart: Offensively, this team will live or die on the ability of its midfield to create offense off the dodge. Justin Redd, Joe Boulukos, Ian Rosenberger, Brian Clayton, and freshman John Glynn (a sparkplug from LI) all can dodge defenders and shoot to kill. Unfortunately, only Redd -- Cornell’s finest middie since Norm Engelke '81 -- has demonstrated that he can feed off the dodge with consistency (he had four assists against HC in the playoffs, a career high). Just how serious is this problem? Here’s a sign: Tambroni conducted several uncomfortable preseason experiments, including trying Redd at attack. Ick. Ball movement will not be Cornell’s strength, which may make their even-strength offense even more exasperating to watch. (Especially when the gifted Boulukos gets the rock -- I love those lasers he unleashes, but oy vey, how he runs himself into doubles and traps.)

DEFENSE. As usual, Cornell’s close defense enters the season with two incumbents and not much depth. Kyle Georgalas and townie Casey Stevenson return as starters (Stevenson’s brother, a prized recruit, was lost to Georgetown). Georgalas assumes the role of d-zone leader and clearmeister, a.k.a. He Who Must Not Get Injured. The choice for starting third d-man appears to be soph Mitch Belisle, a converted middie from MD. Belisle is reported to have played nearly every minute in recent scrimmages; he seems to be holding up. After that, there’s Michael Rodgers, freshman Shawn Byrne, and little else. Recent defections (see below) and position changes have culled the herd of available defensemen like a long winter. By contrast, there’s a logjam at long-stick middie, where Mike Pisco, Dave Bush (who may be playing short stick), Byrne, and -- get this -- goalie Ethan Vedder are available to replace departed LSM Needham, the most underrated of last year’s seniors. Vedder at LSM??? Tambroni recognizes that his wheels and stick are too good to keep on the bench. Besides, Vedder was already prone to bolting downfield on clears (as in: “Yikes, chain that guy to the posts”). Props to Vedder for being willing to try other ways to get on the field; sitting behind McMonagle last year must have been painful. I still think Vedder could be one of the best goalies in the nation. Based on reports from scrimmages, Cornell might play a slightly more aggressive match-up zone this year.

OUTBOUND/INBOUND. The team suffered three premature departures, some unexpected. Midfielder Joe D’Arrigo, who was getting no PT, transferred to Syracuse (there are surprising reports that he’s thriving there). Andrew Clayton, a long stick with great promise, left the squad soon after the 2004 season ended (twin brother Brian remains). But perhaps the most discouraging loss was freshman Rob Scott, a big, fast, intimidating defenseman who left the team for personal reasons only days before Cornell’s first spring scrimmage. I thought he was going to be one of the most impactful freshmen in the nation this year. The news ain’t all bad: Middie Ian Rosenberger, a team leader and effective shooter, returns for a fifth year of eligibility (he was hurt for much of 2003). Freshmen to watch include Glynn; A/M Drew Webb, part of the first wave of lacrosse talent to emerge from the state of Texas; Byrne, a long pole from Skaneateles; John Espey, a small but energetic attackman from LI; and midfielders Troy Turri (LI) and Tee Cahill (CT). Scott’s departure, if permanent, makes this a solid but unspectacular class. Glynn and Webb are the most intriguing newcomers.

RECRUITING. Tambroni and primary assistant Ben DeLuca '98 are coming into their own as recruiters. Next year’s incoming freshman class is talented and large. Part of this is likely the result of the staff’s handling of the Boiardi tragedy, which allowed the extended lacrosse community to witness Cornell’s close-knit lacrosse family. Even before last year's events, the staff had a knack for developing exceptionally tight teams, and I sense that word is getting around to parents. A few highlights from next year’s class: goalie Dave Grossman from Ithaca, a surprise star for CNY at last year’s Empire State Games (he’ll continue a tradition of lax faculty brats -- you go, boy!); HS All-America (as an 11th grader) attackman Chris Finn from LI juggernaut Manhasset; athletic A/M Max Seibald, a HS All-America (as an 11th grader) from Hewlett on LI; and Nick Gradinger, a defenseman from California’s growing lax pond who’s playing at Deerfield this year. Trends: Cornell is landing more players from private schools (not a traditional source) and Tambroni has restored flow to Cornell’s LI pipeline.

More notes:

* At this time, Cornell is not scheduled to make any regular season TV appearances.
* Cornell has a new second assistant coach, replacing Pat Dutton '99: Pat Myers (Ohio State '03), a Mainer (!) who will help run Cornell’s offense. Edit: Thanks to the Boiardi family and other supporters, primary assistant Ben DeLuca's post has now been endowed -- he is the first Mario St. George Boiardi Assistant Coach of Men's Lacrosse.
* Sean Greenhalgh was the victim of a well-orchestrated prank recently, when pals from St. Catherine’s posted a mock press release on lax boards announcing his suspension for worshiping the almighty [Canadian]two-four[/Canadian]. Reports of his absence from scrimmages fueled rumors. It’s bullshit, as far as I can tell, but it’s getting a lot of mileage.
* A new faceoff rule will separate the sticks of opposing FO players by four inches (and players’ sticks from the ball by an inch or two) before the whistle. Conventional wisdom: It rewards the quick and punishes the bulls. I think the rule’s effects will be minimal. Cornell’s primary FO man will be JD Nelson, who struggled in some scrimmages and dominated others.
* Sons of coaches keep coming to Cornell -- surely a good sign. Georgalas is the son of the coach of the MLL’s New Jersey Pride (and formerly Mahopac HS). Espey is the son of the former Stony Brook U coach. And recruit Kyle Doctor, an attackman at Skaneateles, is the son of his high school coach.
* Ivy trend to watch: The continued rise of Dartmouth, which now features two of the Ivy’s top guns, the Ivy’s best goalie, and some new assistant coaching blood. I predict they’ll take second place in the league and, if they beat Princeton, earn an at-large bid.
* The NCAA is moving the Final Four to Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field this year, part of a two-year experiment. The last time the F4 came to town, attendance was weak. Expect better results this time, but not the magic of Baltimore. Johns Hopkins and Princeton will host the NCAA D-I quarterfinals on May 21 and 22, respectively.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2005 12:06PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Re: OT: 2005 lacrosse preview
Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:30PM

Wow. Thanks, Hillel.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:53PM

Wow, great report. Maybe we need an eSchoellkopf (?) forum? Nah, doesn't have quite the same ring. It sounds as if the pre-season predictions of Cornell around #10 in the nation are not out of line.

As I was reading down the list of people who Cornell was hoping would play and then bailed, it sounded (initially) as if possibly there were some coach(es)-player relations issues. OTOH the flow of coaches' sons to Cornell sounds like only a good sign since those players are probably more knowledgeable.

A Cornell player (Joe D’Arrigo) transferring to Syracuse because he didn't get enough playing time here, that sounds bizarre, unless Syracuse is barren in the midfield.

Didn't Navy last year move its #2 goalie off the bench and into the defense?

For three years, it has seemed as if we're waiting for Sean Greenhalgh to unleash himself - even with 28 goals last year. He has those sparks of brilliance when he's left alone for two seconds and the pass comes to him. The ball is in the net an instant later. Does it seem like he can be neutralized by really good defensemen?

Rob Scott, the freshman defenseman with great potential, he's still at Cornell but not playing?

What inducement would it take to get Matt Moulson on the field?

Is Dartmouth still playing lax on a grass field? By the time the ice is off the campus, they have like two games left on the season. Hard to figure out why Penn doesn't do better in lacrosse than it does.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.rover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:59PM

Do you know who wrote this article, or where it was published?

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 02:28PM

I think that Hillel wrote it, and it was published on elynah :-) ...maybe published on laxpower as well?

Posted by: CornellChris (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:43PM

Like a lot of sports (other than hockey), I didn't follow lacrosse much while I was at Cornell, but have become a big fan since graduating. I'm looking forward to this season, and already have the Cornell/Syracuse game circled on my calendar. I'll be in attendance at the Carrier Dome to cheer on the Big Red!

-Chris '03

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:27PM

Those with an interest in this game should know that for the first time in over two decades, the fabled #22 will not be worn this season (the first time since 1982). There are apparently no souls willing to accept the pressure/responsibility it bestows upon the wearers shoulders. It’s hard to imagine a team know for it’s superstars, is somehow lacking an ego big enough to sport the #22. So, absent an individual player who can single-handedly win a game for them, the Orange have instead committed to playing more as a team than in years past. In my mind this can only draw the comparison to the Big Red hockey program, deep.
It should make for an interesting season and an eventful night versus the Big Red.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 06:19PM by ben03.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:16PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

So, absent an individual player who can single-handedly win a game for them, the Orange have instead committed to playing more as a team than in years past. [/q]

Does Desko have the coaching chops to win with guile rather than piles of raw talent? He ain't Bill Tierney...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:35PM

[q]Those with an interest in this game should know that for the first time in over two decades, the fabled #22 will not be worn this season (the first time since 1982).[/q]For those of us that do not follow the sport closely enough to know (e.g. me), can you explain the significance of #22 to Syracuse?

Date: March 02, 2005 10:21PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Those with an interest in this game should know that for the first time in over two decades, the fabled #22 will not be worn this season (the first time since 1982).[/Q]
For those of us that do not follow the sport closely enough to know (e.g. me), can you explain the significance of #22 to Syracuse?[/q]

Wearing #22 at Syracuse for Lacrosse is like wearing #44 for SU Football.

Jim Brown
Ernie Davis
Floyd Little
Rob Konrad

Gary Gait '87-90 (imagine Gretsky or Jordan, but with a twin brother, Paul wore #19)
Charlie Lockwood '91-94
Casey Powell '95-98
Ryan Powell '99-00
Michael Powell '01-04 (imagine the Kariya family, with each one getting better than the last: Ryan & Casey each had 287 career points, Michael had 307)

EDIT: added Charlie Lockwood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 05:21PM by jeh25.

Date: March 02, 2005 10:30PM

Hmmmmm … where to start? In the last 17 seasons (Gait-3; Lockwood-4; C. Powell-4; R. Powell-2; M. Powell-4) the lacrosse player who wears #22 at Syracuse has been responsible in part for the following:
Goals: 734
Assists: 552
National Champion: 8 seasons
First-team AA: 13 seasons
Second-team AA: 3 seasons
Thrid-team AA: 1 season
Tewaarton Trophy (Best player in all of college lacrosse): 2 seasons
Lt. Raymond Enners Award (Most Outstanding Player D-I): 6 seasons
Lt. Donald C. McLaughkin, Jr. Award (Most Outstanding Midfielder D-I): 3 seasons / 9 seasons worn
Jack Turnbull Award (Most Outstanding Attackman D-I): 6 seasons / 8 seasons worn
W.H. Brine Award (Most Outstanding Player D-I Championship Game): 3 seasons
So that's ~ 43G/32A, 76% chance First-team AA, 47% chance National Champion ... pretty good odds for a season ehhh?
Wearing the #22 playing lacrosse at Syracuse can only be equated to #99 in hockey. I think that qualifies as a wee bit of pressure. ;-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 05:05PM by ben03.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 10:54PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote: Does Desko have the coaching chops to win with guile rather than piles of raw talent? He ain't Bill Tierney...[/q]
Amen. On the other hand, I never would've said that Desko could win without a wunderkind or two in pocket until I watched last year's F4 -- the man schooled Pietramala. And he's still got Pfeifer.

As long as he's matching wits with the likes of Petro, Cottle, Meade, or Haus, then Desko won't be the reason that SU doesn't repeat.

The upset I see lurking in SU's future is 3/29 vs. Hobart at the Boz, only three days after playing Princeton on the road.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:10PM

Okay, I'm sorry...

I have to ask, being an American...

"two-four"??

Date: March 03, 2005 03:14PM

[www.icomm.ca]

"case [of beer]
A package containing twelve bottles of beer. (Some tell me that a case isn't a twelve-pack at all, it's a two-four. People tend to feel strongly both ways. A friend suspects that the "two-four" meaning of "case" is unique to Ontario and points east. A visitor says, "Having lived in many parts of Canada, I have found that in Ontario a 'case' refers to 24 beer, while in other parts of the country (specifically the Maritimes) a case is 12 beer and 24 beer is called a two-four." I'm sure others will disagree with him.)"

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:19PM

Nice riffs on SU lacrosse's sacred 22, John and Ben.

One link in the 22 chain was left out. In between Gary Gait and Casey Powell was Charlie "Laser" Lockwood, a four-time All America with a nasty shot who scored nearly 100 goals in his career. On an SU scale, 100 goals is piffling, but he was an iconic player who played a big part in creating the 22 mythology.

Date: March 03, 2005 05:15PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

Nice riffs on SU lacrosse's sacred 22, John and Ben.

One link in the 22 chain was left out. In between Gary Gait and Casey Powell was Charlie "Laser" Lockwood, a four-time All America with a nasty shot who scored nearly 100 goals in his career. On an SU scale, 100 goals is piffling, but he was an iconic player who played a big part in creating the 22 mythology.[/q]

Yeah, I thought it might have beenWest Genny's own Charlie Lockwood but I couldn't remember and it was bedtime.

ObCornell content: In 1994, my friend Sarah and I went to the SU-Cornell Basketball game at the Dome. I took Cornell and 35 points.

During the game, some brave sole from the Cornell band ran a lap of the dome holding a giant safety school banner with about 20 SU fans chasing after him. Of course, on the court, the game was no contest. But in the waning moments of the game, the Big Red were holding the Orangemen within 32 or 34. I looked like I might win my bet with Sarah.

Then Boeheim put walk-on Charlie Lockwood into the game. With mere seconds left on the clock, Lockwood hit a jumper to put SU up by 36. The SU fans went nuts, like he'd just scored a late ENG to seal the deal or something. And I lost my bet.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:53PM

in ontario, and all other parts of canada that i know, a 'case' is 12, and a 'two-four' is a 24 pack or a 'case' as we call it down south

Date: March 03, 2005 06:15PM

i remember when moulson came to school and said to me he knew he was gonna get some $hit from his buddies back home for taking # two-four ...
guess it goes to show ya can't deny the man his two loves ;-):-D

Score update: Cornell lax vs. Notre Dame
Date: March 05, 2005 02:40PM

Finally got the little one to sleep. Phew.

In the 4th quarter from Ithaca, it's Cornell 10 - Notre Dame 6

According to Jason Weinstein on WTKO, Cornell has scored seven straight goals. Greenhalgh just got his fifth (?).

Re: Score update: Cornell lax vs. Notre Dame
Date: March 05, 2005 02:45PM

ND scores two in a row to stop the bleeding. 10-8 Cornell with 8:40 remaining in the game. Timeout CU.

Date: March 05, 2005 02:51PM

Mitchell scores (his first ever) on a great feed from Nee after three minutes of possession following a solid Nelson FO win (Pisco with nice wing GB): 11-8 Cornell.

Date: March 05, 2005 02:52PM

McMonagle coming up big late in the 4th quarter. Several saves in last few minutes. 3:30 left. Still 11-8.

Date: March 05, 2005 02:54PM

ND scores man-up goal: 11-9 CU, 2:43 left.

Date: March 05, 2005 02:57PM

ND's Jim Morrison (sic) scores with just under 0:45 left. CU 11-10. Gulp. Timeout ND.

Date: March 05, 2005 03:00PM

Cornell wins 11-10.

Posted by: bhan (---.PHNX.QWEST.NET)
Date: March 05, 2005 03:10PM

thanks for the updates

Posted by: CornellChris (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 03:20PM

Whew! Sounds like a nailbiter. Great way to start the season though. GO BIG RED LAX! Can't wait to see 'em in person this season.

-Chris '03

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2005 03:21PM

Thanks Hillel. Wish I didn't get frickin' stuck at frickin' work today. Sounds like a good one!

Luckily I have lax on CSTV now at least - or at least after this 2 OT squeakball game.

Date: March 05, 2005 03:54PM

Not worth its own thread - Princeton just scored an own goal... 7-2 JHU, not pretty

Posted by: peterg (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 05, 2005 04:00PM

ND scoring the first two goals of the game, with CU starting slow out of the gate. They seemed a little uncomfortable on the field, if that makes sense. After those first two goals and about the first 10 minutes of the game, Cornell seemed to settle down and play better, and from there the scoring went back and forth with Cornell not quite able to tie it. Eventually, after a goal and face off win, ND ran a couple of goals together to take a 6-3 lead in the second quarter. From there Cornell took control of the scoring with seven straight, shutting down ND for the remainder of the first half (it ended ND 6, CU 5) and for all of the third quarter.

Sean Greenhalgh, with five goals, kept it close early and Joe Boulukos added three, I think. Kyle Georgalas did a great job on ND's AA attackman Pat Walsh (I think he was held to 1 goal and 1 assist). Matt McMonagle played a great second half for Cornell.

Things seemed to get a bit sloppy for CU at the end forcing some plays on offense when they didn't need to. It was a nailbiter in the end but, in truth, I thought CU looked quite good for the first game and played a better game than the final score indicated.

Great job Big Red!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 04:08PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Not worth its own thread - Princeton just scored an own goal... 7-2 JHU, not pretty[/q]Is this an indication that Princeton might be sliding and Cornell could have a shot at an outright Ivy title this year (the game vs. Princeton is at Schoellkopf), or is Hopkins just that good?

Date: March 05, 2005 04:56PM

Well, its early, I would hate to interpret too much. Especially since Princeton is beginning to fight their way back, 9-5 at the moment. Only 4 minutes left, but they can definitely make it respectible.

No matter what it means, it can't be bad for us with only a 1 goal scrimmage loss to Hopkins (make that 9-6 now). So no matter what it may or may not say about the Ivy situation, you definitely have to like what it says about our chances so far, especially for such a young team.

Date: March 05, 2005 04:58PM

Final: UVA 12, Cuse 11

Date: March 05, 2005 05:03PM

Final: JHU 9, Princeton 6

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:39PM

I was only able to catch the second half, but that was a great game this afternoon. Unfortunately, they decided to clear the non-crescent side for fans, and only half of it at that. As a result, it was very crowded and cold, not being in the sun on this beautiful (seriously) Ithaca winter day.

Anyhow, McMonagle played a fantastic game from what I saw, making several clutch saves on some high-quality chances. The Red seemed to win the battle for the loose balls for most of the half, totally dominating the Irish with their hustle for the third quarter and much of the fourth. The team really looked good, and although ND's run at the end was rather scary, the team is definitely due for an exciting year.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2005 06:44PM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

I was only able to catch the second half, but that was a great game this afternoon. Unfortunately, they decided to clear the non-crescent side for fans, and only half of it at that. As a result, it was very crowded and cold, not being in the sun on this beautiful (seriously) Ithaca winter day.[/q]
.... and the lovely Anita Brenner kicked the pep band out of the west stands to make room for spectators after halftime. Yes, kicked us out, and dared to suggest that we move to the track behind the fence to play. The frat boys were just fine standing in the snow-covered half of the stands and even seemed miffed at the prospect of moving, so I don't see why she felt the need to stick them in our spot.

BUT, all my ire goes to her, and none to the lacrosse team. What a game. Come from behind wins are heart-rending, but great to watch.

Notre Dame post-game
Date: March 06, 2005 07:54PM

The win over ND could end up being very useful. The Irish are likely to hover around #10-15 in the final Ratings-Percentage-Index rankings. (When it comes to D-I NCAA lacrosse at-large tournament bids, one of the primary criteria is wins over teams that end the season in the top 15 in the RPI.)

A question for those who attended: Did Redd play attack the whole game?

And what's up with the new uniforms? There's a small pic at cornellbigred.com: red helmets plus a trendoid all-white kit with some bizarro fussy stripe up the side that looks like something you'd see on a regional European airline ... groan.

Haswell, a senior, was on the first midfield line. I should've mentioned him in the preview. Love this guy. Midfield depth permits the running of two solid o-midfield lines. A nice change compared to the late '90s and early '00s.

Shutting down ND's Walsh (relatively speaking) was a big deal.

Belisle was the third close defender.

Sounds like Pisco had a good game at LSM, particularly as the GB-chasing wing on FOs.

Glynn and Webb were the only freshmen who got minutes -- no surprise.

Sounds like Greenhalgh, Boulukos, and Nee have a green light to shoot at all times. Nothing wrong with that.

This is a good team that deserves more support.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2005 07:56PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Re: Notre Dame post-game
Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:50PM

Redd did not play attack all the way. I don't recall when the switch was made, but Mitchell and Haswell (who I thought was a junior) played the second half.

I thought both Mike Pisco and Dave Bush played great.

Finally, having seen Walsh light up Syracuse in the Dome last year, Georgalas did a terrific job yesterday (although I must say that Walsh might have been more effective if he didn't keep trying behind the back passes - maybe he thought it was being televised).

Date: March 06, 2005 11:00PM

Thanks for the info, peterg.

Whoa, you're right -- Haswell is a junior (feel like I found a dollar bill in my pocket). And I thought he was running middie. So now I'm confused about the two o-midfield lines. Do you remember? And was Bush playing LSM, SSDM ... or maybe running o-middie???

Date: March 06, 2005 11:04PM

Hillel, could you be thinking of older brother Nate who graduated in '02?

Date: March 06, 2005 11:19PM

[Hand slaps forehead]

Posted by: peterg (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 07, 2005 10:43AM

Dave Bush played SSDM.

3/7 Coaches' poll
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 06:20PM

Up to a tie for #6 after week 1: [www.usila.org]

Hopkins is 1-0, not 3-0. Don't think Duke has played four yet, either.

Date: March 07, 2005 06:49PM

Cool :)

But yes Duke has - [laxpower.com]

Just a thought that we probably shouldn't make this an all-purpose lax thread. Feel free to open up new ones in the future. Although if people disagree, I'll live ;)

Re: 3/7 Coaches' poll
Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2005 06:51PM

Duke is shown as 4-0 on LaxPower, with wins over Butler, UMBC, VMI, and now Maryland.

Nice note on the LaxPower Power Rankings, Cornell is presently #1. Not at all meaningful since this is a computer ranking that requires a number of games, but always nice to see CU at #1.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:11PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Just a thought that we probably shouldn't make this an all-purpose lax thread. Feel free to open up new ones in the future. Although if people disagree, I'll live [/q]

I'd just recommend that we put [LAX] rather than [OT] in the subject line so it's easier to identify the lacrosse threads. I imagine with no NHL playoffs I'll get sucked into lacrosse more than usual this year.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 07, 2005 08:18PM

[Q]peterg Wrote:

Duke is shown as 4-0 on LaxPower, with wins over Butler, UMBC, VMI, and now Maryland.

Nice note on the LaxPower Power Rankings, Cornell is presently #1. Not at all meaningful since this is a computer ranking that requires a number of games, but always nice to see CU at #1.[/q]

The LaxPower Power Rankings are a festering pile of shite. I explained why on the LaxPower forums a few seasons back. Alas, I think those postings have rotted away into the the ether.

You can do a search for LynahFan and see if they pop up, but I don't think they will.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2005 08:21PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

The LaxPower Power Rankings are a festering pile of shite. I explained why on the LaxPower forums a few seasons back.[/q]

But their score file is useful for calculating better rankings.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 07, 2005 08:53PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:
I imagine with no NHL playoffs I'll get sucked into lacrosse more than usual this year.[/q]
you make this seem like a bad thing :-P ...

lacrosse=good
stickball =baaaaaaaad

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login