Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

How To Be a Good Fan

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How To Be a Good Fan
Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:14AM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
(It was easy to dismiss RPI as an option, though). [/Q]
That it was, that it was. Troy is quite the shithole. Although one of my friends goes to Russell Sage and I would've had an in to the all-girls college...[/q]

Of course RPI and Troy are a shithole, Affectionately known at Clarkson as "Troylet";-)

ECAC Pep Bands
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:27AM

Credit where it's due: Clarkson's band sounds good this year. They've got the tightest percussion section in the ECAC, and also the biggest. Big enough that it drowns out most of the rest of the instruments, but I guess you flaunt what you've got. Maybe it's just as well, since their arrangements are kept simple and the ranges easy. In the end, it's nothing flashy, but it holds up quite well. They're still never forgiven for the electric bass. Never.

RPI is safety in numbers. When your band is the size of a medium-sized liberal arts school, mediocrity wins out. They tend to play the same or very similar arrangements to Cornell's band, so they have that going for them, but my only sample this year was the game over break where they had about 11 people. They sounded horrible.

Yale either has some prolific arrangers or a good line on sheet music. They may not be that great, but it's always amusing to hear what they've got in their repertoire. At least I think they're down to one Britney song per game. They seem to be well-supported by the school and faculty, which would be nice to see at Cornell for a change.

Brown... Brown has the skating thing going for them, I guess.

Vermont need not apply. A townie band with a drum kit. Bah. Go to HEA.

Colgate's band is fairly small and has never sounded noteworthy. They seemed particularly off this year.

Princeton's band hasn't been able to tear itself away from squeakball for so many years, I forgot what they sound like. Actually, if memory serves, they're decent, but it's hard to hear over their loud... uniforms.

Harvard's pep band used to be a joke, when it even bothered to show, and even then, rarely on time. They've gotten a whole lot better over the last few years, up to about the Yale level. I'm just not sure who they're playing to for half and hour after the game ends. Cornell fans, near as I can figure.

As for Cornell, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the band. And this has nothing to do with Macho Man. They have, however, been on a bit of a downward trend the last few years. There hasn't been a very strong solo trumpet since Chris Orelup. The middle brass is thin and often, well, poor. But I think my biggest issue lately has been percussion. The percussion section is small, but still the most audible. However, they often seem to think they should be conducting and are completely off doing their own thing. There's rarely someone on bass drum who actually knows the songs. At Clarkson, I actually watched the conductor walk up and remind the guy he was supposed to be playing. He later discovered you can't play the bass drum while talking on a cell phone. Maybe I was spoiled by the band in the late 90's. Hopefully it's just cyclical. And the band certainly has nights when they sound like the best band in the ECAC. But there are other nights... I know the band gets almost no support. I literally watched instruments fall apart at Colgate. I guess I just don't like seeing other schools do it better.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:36AM

You're right, you are hypocritical.

In terms of qualifying for the NCAA field, the playoff championship is more significant, although as I pointed out, at one time they were equal. But minimizing winning the RS championship disrespects the efforts made by players and coaches over the long haul of the season. Have you ever played or coached a team in a similar set up? If so, I imagine you'd feel differently.

It was all to convenient for many people here to trash Clarkson's winning the RS and not the plaoff crown, having nothing to do with their poor performance in the NCAAs. On that point, as I said at the time, if Clarkson were such a poor team, where were all the other ECAC teams and why weren't they there to do better?

cornell has done better in recent years as did Slt Lawrence one year and that's great for the league but you guys insist on beating a dead horse. Focus on supporting your team and stop the childish bashing of others.

If I interpret your statement correctly, I imagine Schafer and his boys pissed in the Cleary Cup? rolleyes And grow up and get over your hate for Cleary. It's really getting old and pathetic.

Re: Never-never land?
Date: March 03, 2005 10:47AM

How's that? Check your history.

Except for the past three years Clarkson hasn't been in "never-neverland" since 1974. Oh, and they did awaken last year long enough to defeat the high and mighty red at Lynah, no less and get to the finals in Albany. But I'm sure you guys have conveniently forgotten that, as if it "Albany" did not exist since you weren't there.

Your "gracious loser" comment is one of the dumber things I've ever read.

Re: ECAC Pep Bands
Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:50AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

The middle brass is thin and often, well, poor.[/q]

Maybe this is because SAFC refuses to believe trombones are necessary. :-D

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:54AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
As for Cornell, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the band. And this has nothing to do with Macho Man. They have, however, been on a bit of a downward trend the last few years. There hasn't been a very strong solo trumpet since Chris Orelup. The middle brass is thin and often, well, poor. But I think my biggest issue lately has been percussion. The percussion section is small, but still the most audible. However, they often seem to think they should be conducting and are completely off doing their own thing. There's rarely someone on bass drum who actually knows the songs. At Clarkson, I actually watched the conductor walk up and remind the guy he was supposed to be playing. He later discovered you can't play the bass drum while talking on a cell phone. Maybe I was spoiled by the band in the late 90's. Hopefully it's just cyclical. And the band certainly has nights when they sound like the best band in the ECAC. But there are other nights... I know the band gets almost no support. I literally watched instruments fall apart at Colgate. I guess I just don't like seeing other schools do it better.[/q]
The quality of the hockey band at SLU and Clarkson was down because half of the band was playing for the worthy cause of the Penn and Princeton basketball games (not to mention the various other commitments that happened to coincide on that particular weekend--jazz concerts, rock gigs... chorale concert?!), so instrumentation was particularly thin. The conductor that weekend is a lead trumpet, so having him up front hurts already. At SLU we had one percussionist simultaneously playing snare, bass, and two suspended cymbals. At Clarkson we had a clarinet player on bass drum and a rotation of five conductors so that they could alternate playing their instruments and contribute to the band sound. I put out the best band I could with what I was given.

Of course, thin instrumentation stems from a bigger problem. We don't have the numbers we used to, because for some reason enthusiasm for the pep band has dropped in the past two years. When I was a freshman, you had to claw your way to the top of the pile for hockey tickets. Then the next year, attendance suddenly dropped. The '07 freshmen weren't into it and the '06 sophomore class, while well represented in pep band, inexplicably shrunk to about 1/4 its original size. Now, we have very few current pepband members from the class of 2007, and I'm often left with extra tickets to give to band alum as a result. Some members of last year's pep band leadership are partially to blame, but it's also the result of having a strange concentration of anti-athletics types in the '07 class. I can't force people to want to play for hockey, and many of them simply don't enjoy it for reasons that have nothing to do with the band or the crowd.

Fortunately, we have a new '08 freshman class that is by and large very excited about the hockey team... I get emails asking for links to polls and press all the time, they like the crazy solo ranting that some fans will do in the stands, and they want to be a part of the tradition of Cornell hockey. That bodes well for the future of the pep band, because their enthusiasm will generate enthusiasm in future classes. I'm optimistic.

-Lauren Forconi '06
2005 Pep Band Manager

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:59AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

There ought to be a pairwise comarisons chart for all colleges showing who got in where and who enrolled where. Harvard and Princeton probably don't lose many PWCs. We win some, we lose some (but look at our strength of schedule), because for a lot of people it's where we wanted to go (really!), for some it's a safety school (right), for some it's a reach school.

But seriously for a minute: Do the Ivies at least among themselves share information about who's jointly admitted (eg to Cornell and Brown and Yale) so they can internally track who went where? That would be an intriguing free-market counterpoint to the U.S. News kinds of rankings the colleges decry (especially in years when they slip). [/q]

Strange you should ask:

See the National Bureau of Economic Analyis report - Avery, Glickman, Hoxby, Metrick (2004). "A Revealed Preference Ranking OF U.S. Colleges and Universities."

Link to the abstract here:

[papers.ssrn.com]

and click on the appropriate button to download the report.

Also, an interesting piece on the longterm outcomes of attending elite schools:

[www.theatlantic.com]

Posted by: daredevilcu (128.153.219.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:09AM

[Q]Credit where it's due: Clarkson's band sounds good this year. They've got the tightest percussion section in the ECAC, and also the biggest. Big enough that it drowns out most of the rest of the instruments, but I guess you flaunt what you've got. [/Q]

Thanks for that -- what makes it even better is that our drummers never have any music, and make up the parts for every song we have. What happened with the electric bass?

RPI - Weak at best. We were there for Black Friday at RPI last semester, and even with limited instruments, we outplayed them easily. There's an article in the polytechnic if you want to read it... [www.poly.rpi.edu]

UVM - Weak. Their hired director was a complete ass, and they were all playing into microphones. We didn't bring a full band with us (5 or 6 instruments) and thus sounded awful but UVM was still lame.

Harvard - Too musically inclined. Care too much about sounding musical with dynamics and stuff, and not enough about what's going on on the ice, it seems.

Colgate - Weak at best. Lack of numbers, lack of talent, and they're the only band I've ever heard actually warm up with scales before the game. Lame as hell.

Cornell - Good, but without the Lynah fans they are much less impressive. Interesting music selections, but once again (when I've been there at least) seem to care about sounding musical more than what's happening on the ice.

Brown - The best place to visit in the ECAC. So much fun, all their band members are wicked nice people, and you're not ripped on by the arena staff if you go talk to them en masse. The only band we cooperate with and actually play a song (25 or 6 to 4) together since we have the same arrangement. The skating thing's cool, pretty funny actually.

Yale and Princeton I have never seen.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:11AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
Yale either has some prolific arrangers or a good line on sheet music. They may not be that great, but it's always amusing to hear what they've got in their repertoire. At least I think they're down to one Britney song per game. They seem to be well-supported by the school and faculty, which would be nice to see at Cornell for a change.
[/q]

I strongly suspect Tom Duffy deserves some of the credit. He's the Deputy Dean of the School of Music and the Director of Bands at Yale. (Note: that includes the Concert Band and Jazz Ensemble, as well as the Marching Band.) Ironically, Tom earned his DMA at Cornell with Husa and Stucky. He also happens to be my advisor's husband.

But Age is right on about support: Yale has a faculty member in charge of the bands while the Cornell band can't get money to repair trombones. So even if Tom never even sees a single arrangement, having that level of support has got to help.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:23AM

[q]And grow up and get over your hate for Cleary. It's really getting old and pathetic.[/q]

Cleary has never asked for, nor deserved, our forgiveness for what we hate him for. Cleary is old and pathetic. That having been said, I don't really think of him often enough, and it doesn't bother me enough, for it to be something I need to "get over." Why stop calling it the Cleary Bedpan/Pisspot/Jell-O Mold when it's still funny to me?

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 11:24AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:31AM

No problem with Cleary, here. He's been a fierce and outspoken pro-ECAC and pro-Ivy presence at a high level in college hockey. Indeed, he and Laing Kennedy have been the only such among The People Who Matter in hockey for the last 20 years. We need all the proponents we can get of academic-athletics where the hyphenated terms are in the correct order.

OTOH, Harvard still sucks.

Date: March 03, 2005 11:39AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
He's been a fierce and outspoken pro-ECAC and pro-Ivy presence at a high level in college hockey. Indeed, he and Laing Kennedy have been the only such among The People Who Matter in hockey for the last 20 years. We need all the proponents we can get of academic-athletics where the hyphenated terms are in the correct order.[/q]

I don't dispute a single thing you said, and I agree it's great to have him in "our" corner in that sense. I think he was also a great player in his day, and obviously a good coach. But that doesn't mean he's not an arrogant ass, or that he didn't, in his petulant last public act as Hahvahd's head coach, treat Cornell about as shabbily as we've ever been treated.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:42AM

I don't think Ned rates high on the modesty scale either... ;-)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:05PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

Credit where it's due: Clarkson's band sounds good this year. They've got the tightest percussion section in the ECAC, and also the biggest. Big enough that it drowns out most of the rest of the instruments, but I guess you flaunt what you've got. [/Q]
Thanks for that -- what makes it even better is that our drummers never have any music, and make up the parts for every song we have.[/q]
I don't believe for a minute that the Conga drum solo was made up on the fly... it did sound great, though.

[q]RPI - Weak at best. We were there for Black Friday at RPI last semester, and even with limited instruments, we outplayed them easily. There's an article in the polytechnic if you want to read it... [/q]
RPI is weak, I agree, but they also suffer from poor placement in their rink. They're all by themselves at one end, below glass level on a podium. That suggests to me that their rink manager/AD/fandom/whatever don't respect them enough to help them out and give them good placement.

[q]Harvard - Too musically inclined. Care too much about sounding musical with dynamics and stuff, and not enough about what's going on on the ice, it seems.[/q]
You're in the Clarkson band and you said that? I find it disturbing/amusing that you consider this a put-down. Are you guys a band or an inept cheering section with noisemakers? I guess when Cheel has pre-recorded jock james piped in before the game, you don't really feel the need to sound good.

Oh wait, I get it. That ridiculous train whistle right above your section has destroyed your hearing, and now you can only play at one level because you can't hear anything else. Pity. :-D

[q]Colgate - Weak at best. Lack of numbers, lack of talent, and they're the only band I've ever heard actually warm up with scales before the game. Lame as hell.[/q]
Pattern developing... sounding good (or in Colgate's case attempting to sound good via traditional warm-up routines) = lame according to Clarkson band philosophy. Hmm.

[q]Cornell - Good, but without the Lynah fans they are much less impressive. Interesting music selections, but once again (when I've been there at least) seem to care about sounding musical more than what's happening on the ice.[/q]
Thank you? I'm not sure which band you thought you saw in your rink last weekend, though. We didn't sound terribly musical nor did we ignore the game. The back few rows started several spontaneous on-ice related chants (not loud enough, fine) and responded in kind to jeers from the Clarkson band. Selective memory?

[q]Brown - The best place to visit in the ECAC. So much fun, all their band members are wicked nice people, and you're not ripped on by the arena staff if you go talk to them en masse. The only band we cooperate with and actually play a song (25 or 6 to 4) together since we have the same arrangement. The skating thing's cool, pretty funny actually.[/q]
Bah. They haven't even bothered to have their band present at the last two games we attended out there (even Harvard had a full contingent), so I lose any respect I might have had for them. The rink staff is very helpful, though. Did your band discover the irritating little kids that like to grab instruments and throw things at you?

[q]Yale and Princeton I have never seen.[/q]
Yale is a fun group. I don't think I've ever seen the Princeton band either, and from what I got out of the announcer's running boy last month, the rink staff doesn't like having them there anyway.

As for Clarkson. I like you guys. I like that when I went into Cheel to sort things out with the rink manager, whole packs of students shouted at me for daring to enter in my red Cornell jersey. I like that your band really gets into what's going on (and tries to inspire the rest of your fans to do the same). I don't like that your rink manager sends runners to give us a zillion different restrictions (no profanity, no entering other fan sections, no playing over the Clarkson band, no throwing things, etc) on pain of getting the band tossed, and yet lets you get away with the same sh*t they had only just warned us about. I don't like that you continued to break the rule of not using noisemakers during play (drums and cowbell during chants) and didn't get penalized for it even after the referee complained to the rink manager and warned about incurring a bench minor. It's unfair and it's frustrating. I still blame the train whistle for rendering you insensate.

And by the way, don't forget that when you came to Lynah this year, you maligned our poor backup goalie Louis Chabot with shouts of "You suck, McKee!" before the game. And continued to do it even after I corrected you (there's that deafness again....). Good job.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:16PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
I don't dispute a single thing you said, and I agree it's great to have him in "our" corner in that sense. I think he was also a great player in his day, and obviously a good coach. But that doesn't mean he's not an arrogant ass, or that he didn't, in his petulant last public act as Hahvahd's head coach, treat Cornell about as shabbily as we've ever been treated.

Beeeej[/q]

And this begs the question, for those of us who weren't around to see Cleary as a head coach, what exactly did he say?

...always willing to learn a little more Cornell hockey history :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:22PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:
Fortunately, we have a new '08 freshman class that is by and large very excited about the hockey team... I get emails asking for links to polls and press all the time, they like the crazy solo ranting that some fans will do in the stands...[/q]Tell them it's my pleasure. :-D

Date: March 03, 2005 12:23PM

[Q]I don't believe for a minute that the Conga drum solo was made up on the fly... it did sound great, though. [/Q]

The tradeoff of measures and count off are the only prepared parts. The snare solo and quad solo are completely improvised (but obviously we've practiced it and they do some things the same). The point is -- they still made it up at some point, and without music.

[Q]The back few rows started several spontaneous on-ice related chants (not loud enough, fine) and responded in kind to jeers from the Clarkson band. Selective memory? [/Q]

Not selective memory, just literally couldn't hear you guys.

It's not that we don't care about sounding good. When there's a need to be musical with dynamics (anthems) we do our best. For the rest, they're fairly easy and it would only take effort to sound musical if it was the first time you picked up an instrument. We try hard to fill the whole arena with sound, and we usually can accomplish that no matter where we are. Read that article in the polytechnic, we were louder than RPI's band with fewer people. Most of our songs are rock songs that don't really change dynamics anyway, it's a lot to do with our selections. We're also a VERY top heavy band, so our low brass has to play their lips off just to be heard.

[Q]As for Clarkson. I like you guys. I like that when I went into Cheel to sort things out with the rink manager, whole packs of students shouted at me for daring to enter in my red Cornell jersey. I like that your band really gets into what's going on (and tries to inspire the rest of your fans to do the same). I don't like that your rink manager sends runners to give us a zillion different restrictions (no profanity, no entering other fan sections, no playing over the Clarkson band, no throwing things, etc) on pain of getting the band tossed, and yet lets you get away with the same sh*t they had only just warned us about. I don't like that you continued to break the rule of not using noisemakers during play (drums and cowbell during chants) and didn't get penalized for it even after the referee complained to the rink manager and warned about incurring a bench minor. It's unfair and it's frustrating. I still blame the train whistle for rendering you insensate. [/Q]

Hm... that sounds a lot like the Lynah staff. Cornell does the same exact things, literally, as far as those restrictions go. We didn't continue to break the rule--well, we might have done one or two cowbells because of some nameless drunken fools--but we did stop drumming during play. Most referees allow us to get away with it, Kotyra included, especially at Cheel. I think the main thing that was annoying is that long black horn-like instrument that one guy likes to use. The rule on noisemakers is based on a decibel level, I'm pretty sure -- not all noisemakers are disallowed during play.

The train whistle is deafening, because we do sit right under it. I have noticed slight hearing loss in my left ear (as sousaphone I stand on the far right). Yeah, it was embarrassing to make fun of McKee and find out it was Chabot, but you know, I was in the bathroom when that happened or something because I didn't even know about it until long after the game.

As for the pre-recorded "jock jams" we somehow managed to play the numa numa song and spotlight our Jolly Fat Kid cutting a rug, which he does before every game anyway. That... you have to admit that was pretty hilarious.

Re: Cleary

If you don't like arrogance in a hockey coach, how about Schafer? Oh I forgot, you have those carnellian tinted glasses. laugh

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)

[Q]RichS Wrote:
If I interpret your statement correctly, I imagine Schafer and his boys pissed in the Cleary Cup?[/q]

G-d I hope so. :-D

Schafer certainly kept the celebration to a minimum when SHagwell first brought the Cup to Ithaca in 2002. He nearly made Bâby give it back. In the middle of this, Arthur announced that other results that night clinched the Ivy League title, which we weren't supposed to care too much about, for Cornell, and everyone who'd been sitting on their hands during the Cleary ceremony cheered.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 03, 2005 12:28PM

Any particular examples, Rich? Or just blowing smoke? And ranting about bad refs doesn't count, they all do that.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 03, 2005 12:28PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
Harvard - Too musically inclined. Care too much about sounding musical with dynamics and stuff, and not enough about what's going on on the ice, it seems.
[/q]

Yeah, at Lynah East their biggest problem was that a lot of their arrangements seemed to involve playing quietly for a big part of the song. It's a hockey rink, people, not a concert hall!

Date: March 03, 2005 12:33PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:
[/Q]
And this begs the question, for those of us who weren't around to see Cleary as a head coach, what exactly did he say?[/q]

Cleary's Hahvahd team won the 1989 national championship in an incredible OT win over Minnesota. They'd had a great season, and he deserved every accolade he got for it.

In 1990, they didn't do quite as well. Their path to the ECACs in Boston was through Cornell that year, and they came to Lynah for the QFs. Cornell swept them 6-2, 4-2, and Cleary - who in his frustration had spent the two games getting increasingly abusive toward his own team - furiously demanded that they leave the ice at the end of the second game without shaking the Cornell team's hands.

Naturally, he then became Hahvahd's AD, because that's the kind of sportsman you want running things at a higher level. rolleyes

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 12:36PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:51PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
As for Clarkson. I like you guys. I like that when I went into Cheel to sort things out with the rink manager, whole packs of students shouted at me for daring to enter in my red Cornell jersey. I like that your band really gets into what's going on (and tries to inspire the rest of your fans to do the same). I don't like that your rink manager sends runners to give us a zillion different restrictions (no profanity, no entering other fan sections, no playing over the Clarkson band, no throwing things, etc) on pain of getting the band tossed, and yet lets you get away with the same sh*t they had only just warned us about. I don't like that you continued to break the rule of not using noisemakers during play (drums and cowbell during chants) and didn't get penalized for it even after the referee complained to the rink manager and warned about incurring a bench minor. It's unfair and it's frustrating. I still blame the train whistle for rendering you insensate. [/Q]
Hm... that sounds a lot like the Lynah staff. Cornell does the same exact things, literally, as far as those restrictions go. [/q]
Oh I know we have the same restrictions, but as far as I know they don't have a double standard for the bands the way Cheel seemed to at first. In previous years we have had members of our band thrown out of our rink for using inappropriate language.

1. The Cornell band does not swear en masse, even at Lynah. I have been known to let slip a few choice four-letter words when a shot goes across the crease, but we don't do organized chants involving them. The student section surrounding us does, but they're not bound by the same restrictions the bands are as representatives of the university.
2. We have never banged drums during play at Lynah (I foolishly experimented with it at Cheel after you guys wouldn't stop doing it in the first period, but I regretted that decision instantaneously).
3. Okay, we throw newspapers before the game at Lynah, but we don't create a fire hazard by having a bunch of drunks hold up their cigarette lighters. :-D

[q]We didn't continue to break the rule--well, we might have done one or two cowbells because of some nameless drunken fools--but we did stop drumming during play. Most referees allow us to get away with it, Kotyra included, especially at Cheel. I think the main thing that was annoying is that long black horn-like instrument that one guy likes to use. The rule on noisemakers is based on a decibel level, I'm pretty sure -- not all noisemakers are disallowed during play.[/q]
I think the worst of it for me was that the rink manager insisted that we not play over you (nor you play over us) or bang drums during play because it might upset or be otherwise offensive to the older people in the crowd due to the noise level. Yet you have that giant freaking train whistle that's five times as loud as both bands combined. Are the old people immune to that? I've never been a fan of playing over other bands anyway because it's inconsiderate, but that was a BS excuse.

Also, just a friendly suggestion, you might want to cut out the convention of having someone play Ab notes to start the "Let's Go Tech" cheer, because you can't hear the words over the notes and it just sounds like some tool playing Ab's. Honest. This was especially true during the QF's last season when nobody (or very few people) in section O was actually saying "Let's Go Tech" and it really WAS just some tool playing Ab's.

[q]The train whistle is deafening, because we do sit right under it. I have noticed slight hearing loss in my left ear (as sousaphone I stand on the far right). Yeah, it was embarrassing to make fun of McKee and find out it was Chabot, but you know, I was in the bathroom when that happened or something because I didn't even know about it until long after the game.

As for the pre-recorded "jock jams" we somehow managed to play the numa numa song and spotlight our Jolly Fat Kid cutting a rug, which he does before every game anyway. That... you have to admit that was pretty hilarious.[/q]
Oh yeah. I think we had people cheering for him.

Date: March 03, 2005 12:58PM

He was pretty public with is disdain for Morris and gave more than he got. Trust me, I know Mark was no choir boy.

Then a couple of years ago, when Fred Parker, a true gentleman, coached his only game for Clarkson at Lynah, Schafer ranted and raved at him for no reason that anyone could tell. It took place after the game as Parker approached the officials. Schaefer just had to stick his nose in and start a ruckus. Guess he didn't know how to win with some dignity that night. His team was clearly better and he even benefitted from questionable officiating...so why make an ass of yourself?

Another that sticks in my mind is his whining on the selection show a couple of years ago about his seeding. Really now, have ECAC teams ever gotten a break there? And he thinks HIS team should be treated differently?

When he started at cornell, he was pretty respectful. But in recent years, he's become an example of "winning breeds arrogance". I wholeheartedly respect his coaching skills and the passion his teams play with. I dislike his arrogance and frequent lack of giving his opponents and other coaches the respect they have earned. What goes around. comes around. Perhaps, some day he will experience that. I'm a coach too, albeit at a much lower level, but I'd never model my behavior after his.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:01PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:blah blah blah.[/q]You are posting increasingly tedious nonsense, Rich. We don't care if Clarkson is proud of their team when they finish with the best regular season record. We are currently proud of our team for doing it this year. What we aren't going to do, however, is call ourselves ECAC Champions, because that is not how the championship is decided. "ECAC Regular Season Champions" is a misnomer. When you win a championship you don't need a modifier. The debate is essentially one of nomenclature. When Clarkson was busy screwing up the tournament, Roundtable posters were quick to glorify the regular season title as a "championship" and Cornell fans (myself included) were all too happy to remind you that you weren't champions of anything. We are still happy to perform that duty.

Final time:
Best record during regular season: Impressive accomplishment.
Winning tournament: ECAC Champion

[Q]RichS Wrote:blah Schafer blah.[/q]
You have [just, while I was posting this] given a [lame] reason for why Schafer is arrogant, or deports himself with less class than should be demanded of a public figure. If you want to stick a thumb in the eye of the man that rejuvenated this program, give us something [real]. [gratuitous swipe]He doesn't, for example, hit his players.[/gratuitous swipe]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 01:04PM by ugarte.

Date: March 03, 2005 01:06PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Then a couple of years ago, when Fred Parker, a true gentleman, coached his only game for Clarkson at Lynah, Schafer ranted and raved at him for no reason that anyone could tell. It took place after the game as Parker approached the officials. Schaefer just had to stick his nose in and start a ruckus. Guess he didn't know how to win with some dignity that night. His team was clearly better and he even benefitted from questionable officiating...so why make an ass of yourself?[/q]

Fair enough. Do you actually know what he said, or are you just assuming?

[q]Another that sticks in my mind is his whining on the selection show a couple of years ago about his seeding. Really now, have ECAC teams ever gotten a break there? And he thinks HIS team should be treated differently?[/q]

Actually, I'll admit to having felt a little uncomfortable about that, myself. I'd have preferred he bypass the issue by saying he knew his team had to win four games regardless of the opponent. The country's first impression of him as the coach of a team with national stature probably shouldn't have been a complaint. But really, Rich - how many ECAC teams, or teams period, have been the #1 overall seed and yet forced to play someone other than the annual patsy? He wasn't expecting a "break" - we'd earned the right to play the worst team in the bracket, and they denied us that.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 01:08PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:14PM

[Q]Schafer ranted and raved at him for no reason that anyone could tell.[/Q]

Sounds like you're just assuming that Schafer was at fault. I don't know the situation, so I'm not saying he is or isn't. But just because you couldn't tell what it was about, it must've been for no reason? screwy Must be those piss-yellow tinted glasses.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 01:16PM by Pete Godenschwager.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:20PM

Trotsky raises two good points (the second, Harvard sucks, being an axiom), that the world needs more people clamoring for student-athletes. It's unlikely it's going to happen, but there's always the hope that college sports will blow up so badly with say a football scandal at Miami (beyond the usual shootings, muggings, and girlfriends taking tests) or hoops at Kentucky ... and the college presidents decide athletes really do have to be students not just wink-wink attendees for four years. For that, Cleary deserves to be respected, even if he did coach Harvard.

Re: ranting
Date: March 03, 2005 01:21PM

Unlike you, apparently, I was there and heard the aftermath. It was none of Schafer's business but I suppose since the game was on his home ice, he felt compelled to act like a jerk in front of his supportive fans.

Would have been nice had he at least shook Parker's hand however.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:24PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: I don't think Ned rates high on the modesty scale either... [/q]Wasn't it Casey Stengel who said (wasn't Yogi; this makes too much sense), "If you can do it, it ain't braggin'."

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote: I don't think Ned rates high on the modesty scale either... [/Q]
Wasn't it Casey Stengel who said (wasn't Yogi; this makes too much sense), "If you can do it, it ain't braggin'."

[/q]

Actually, it was Dizzy Dean. Right sport, though. :-)

Date: March 03, 2005 01:39PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Unlike you, apparently, I was there and heard the aftermath. It was none of Schafer's business but I suppose since the game was on his home ice, he felt compelled to act like a jerk in front of his supportive fans.[/q]So if I understand this correctly, Parker was bitching at the refs - presumably some accusation about non-calls against Cornell in Lynah - and when Schafer supports his team he is accused of sticking his nose in. Right?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:46PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

He was pretty public with is disdain for Morris and gave more than he got. Trust me, I know Mark was no choir boy.

Then a couple of years ago, when Fred Parker, a true gentleman, coached his only game for Clarkson at Lynah, Schafer ranted and raved at him for no reason that anyone could tell. It took place after the game as Parker approached the officials. Schaefer just had to stick his nose in and start a ruckus. Guess he didn't know how to win with some dignity that night. His team was clearly better and he even benefitted from questionable officiating...so why make an ass of yourself?

[/q]

If I remember correctly, that game ended with more than a little rough stuff (as Cornell v. Clarkson games tend to do)...so I'm sure emotions were running high on both sides. For you to say that Schafer "just had to stick his nose in and start a ruckus" is well, asinine. You have no idea what it was about or what was being said, or what led to it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 01:46PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:47PM

[Q]Drew Wrote:
Of course RPI and Troy are a shithole, Affectionately known at Clarkson as "Troylet" [/q] I have never heard even RichS use that word in that manner before. :-D To RPI students, at least in my day, a Troylet was a (usually young) female native of Troy. The term was especially used to refer to female Troy HS students by RPI freshmen.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:02PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:

Drew Wrote:
Of course RPI and Troy are a shithole, Affectionately known at Clarkson as "Troylet" [/Q]
I have never heard even RichS use that word in that manner before. To RPI students, at least in my day, a Troylet was a (usually young) female native of Troy. The term was especially used to refer to female Troy HS students by RPI freshmen.[/q]

So, I guess that means that RPI Engineers can only do it with Troylets. :-D

Re: post game ruckus
Date: March 03, 2005 02:53PM

Actually, I do have a pretty good idea what it was about having heard it first hand afterwards. Your comments are "asinine", to use your word.

And yes, there was a game-ending ruckus which resulted from some rough stuff in the last few minutes and that contributed to the goings-on after the game ended.

The look on Parker's face said it all, he was stunned when Schafer got right in his face and let him have it. Perhaps Schafer thought he was still dealing with Morris with whom there was no love lost. LOL.

I watched him jump into the conversation Parker was having with an official. That's not generally done as a coach, at any level, usually respects another coach's having his "time" talking with an official. That' s the way it's supposed to be.

In this case, Schafer should have had nothing to beef about after that game, which he won, and the late game calls.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:02PM

OK, RichS wants to fight?? Fine...I usually don't jump into fights very often. <throws down gloves>

[Q]RichS Wrote:

In terms of qualifying for the NCAA field, the playoff championship is more significant, although as I pointed out, at one time they were equal. [/Q]
Smart of you to qualify with your first eight words. Overall, they were never equal. I believed that in the '90s, and I believe it now. Winning the tournament got you the Conference Championship. Finishing first in the regular season got you the #1 seed in the tournament to eventually decide the Conference Championship.

[Q]But minimizing winning the RS championship disrespects the efforts made by players and coaches over the long haul of the season. Have you ever played or coached a team in a similar set up? If so, I imagine you'd feel differently.[/Q]
OK, fair enough. I'll go by the reactions of the team and coaches when they were "awarded" this superfluous, made-up trophy for the first time to see what it really meant to them. It was handled like it contained a virus. Hagwell gave it to the captain, who immediately tried to give it to Schafer. Schafer wouldn't touch it, so it was skated immediately over to the bench. It wasn't passed around the team. No arms were raised. As a fan, I don't feel the least bit guilty minimizing that accomplishment if the team and coaches do the same.

Schafer makes the postseason a priority.

[Q]It was all to convenient for many people here to trash Clarkson's winning the RS and not the plaoff crown [/Q]
If by "trashing" you mean "correcting the use of the word 'Champion,'" it wasn't convenient, it was the truth. I said it before, RichS...I refuse to be hypocritical about this point. No matter how hard you try to get me to say that the regular season is more important now that Cornell is winning it, I won't do it. The Whitelaw is the only cup I give a flip for. It was true throughout the '90s, and it's true today.

If Cornell doesn't win in Albany (a very real possibility, given the strength of the top 5 teams), you can email me and scream at me that Cornell aren't ECAC Champions, because it'd be the truth. The only Championship Cornell has won so far in 2005 is the Ivy League Championship.

[Q] at the time, if Clarkson were such a poor team, where were all the other ECAC teams and why weren't they there to do better?[/Q]
First, we never said those Clarkson teams were "poor," just that they weren't League Champions for finishing first in the regular season. To answer your question...the years that Clarkson didn't win the League Championship, another team did. And they WERE in the NCAAs like Clarkson was.

[Q]cornell has done better in recent years as did Slt Lawrence one year and that's great for the league but you guys insist on beating a dead horse. [/Q]
Who brought up this topic again? Oh right:
[Q]Posted by RichS on March 1, 2005

yeah, because cornell didn't win it...lol. Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. :-D[/Q]

[Q]Focus on supporting your team and stop the childish bashing of others.[/Q]
Hmmm....a sentence with the words "practice" and "preach" just jumped into my head. Find me a post of mine here where I childishly bash you. I've never even bashed or trashed Clarkson or any of their teams, past or present. All I've spelled out my beliefs in a rational manner.

[Q]If I interpret your statement correctly, I imagine Schafer and his boys pissed in the Cleary Cup? [/Q]
I have no knowledge what the Cornell team did. I'm using what's called a metaphor.

[Q] And grow up and get over your hate for Cleary. It's really getting old and pathetic.[/q]
Grow up? I really don't think any of this discussion has been childish. You need to calm down when some of your rivals' fans disagree with you.

Hate for Cleary? I don't think my posts show a hate for the human being known as Bill Cleary. I've never met the man. His coaching career ended before I even saw a college hockey game. The only time I've even laid eyes on him was when he came out onto the ice in Lake Placid in 2002 to be honored by the league. I applauded him and his dedication to his school and the league. I have absolutely no hate for the man. The only time I've used the word "Cleary" is when I refer to the cup that happens to bear his name. I think the cup that bears his name is unnecessary and meaningless, and I would feel that way if it were named after Morris, Taylor, Noeth, Murphy, Gilligan, McCutcheon, Bertrand, Harkness, or Ezra Cornell himself.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:23PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
His team was clearly better and he even benefitted from questionable officiating...so why make an ass of yourself?[/q]One man's "questionable officiating" is another man's "Clarkson under Morris was often a dirty team". *shrug*

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:35PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Unlike you, apparently, I was there and heard the aftermath. It was none of Schafer's business but I suppose since the game was on his home ice, he felt compelled to act like a jerk in front of his supportive fans.

Would have been nice had he at least shook Parker's hand however.[/q]
i believe you are refering to this game:
[db.elynah.com]
[www.uscho.com]

[[I]Calm rational tone[/I]]
IIRC, the end of that game was more than a bit heated (see box score) and Parker was slow to leave the ice. He was all over Fulton in the ref's crease at center ice so Schafer went over to get him to leave the ice (a custom of respect for the home team). when whatever exchange took place he got an earful from Schafer ... no one can say who's right and who's not (no one here was on the ice to hear what exactly was said) but it's safe to say neither coach was as professional as they should have been. [[I]/Calm rational tone[/I]]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 04:00PM by ben03.

Date: March 03, 2005 04:09PM

...nobody plays A flats to start the Lets Go Tech cheers... where on earth did you get that idea?

The Clarkson Band only swore en masse once all night, and it was because it was part of our version of your Alma Mater that we can't get away with at Lynah, so you never heard it. The rest was student section. I know you've never banged drums at Lynah, and that's fine. We're able to get away with it in Cheel because its our home ice and we have done it for years. I doubt that you would be penalized if you started doing that and did it for every cheer, all game. Same deal, though -- get warned, stop.

There are a few cheers that a couple instruments play during play that are short (the price is wrong) which we can ONLY get away with at Cheel. Drums, we've pulled other places. Basically, as long as the instruments aren't so loud that the refs feel it could distract/disturb players, then you can get away with it. No matter who you are, it's a judgement call by the officials anyway.

We also pretty much gave up on the lighters -- it doesn't go over that well except for being funny, people are stupid and burn their hands, and nowadays a lot of people wave cell phones instead of lighters anyway.

I got a kick out of you guys bringing newspapers to Cheel. With half the arena doing that, the effect is cool. With 20 people doing it, and throwing the papers into the net behind the goal... well basically it make you look stupid. You would've looked even dumber had one reached the ice, though.

Posted by: chris95 (---.dsl.westelcom.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:34PM

I had to really laugh when I saw the sheet on this post. I was sitting with a bunch of other alumni at the opposite end from the band and some old lady and her husband rooting for Clarkson sitting in front of me winced every time I yelled things like "Let's Go Red!". She finally told me something to the effect that I was old enough (I am 32) that I didn't need to cheer so loudly and should act more reserved. I was polite, but I thought of saying if they had alumni with pride in their school like us they might not have so many empty seats, let alone that it was a hockey game and not a golf tournament or a play. Our whole section including some people in their 60's thought the lady was out of her mind. I think the cheer sheet just goes to show what kind of fans they have right now and how great our fans really are.

Re: dirty?
Date: March 03, 2005 04:56PM

Right...just like cornell under Schafer in the early years.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:17PM

You root for a goon squad. Get over it!

Re: goon
Date: March 03, 2005 05:21PM

There's nothing for me to get over. I've supported my team steadfastly for many years.

OTOH, your team is coached by a guy who was cheered with "Kill, Schafer, Kill". So, who's the goon here?:-}

Date: March 03, 2005 05:21PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Right...just like cornell under Schafer in the early years.[/q]That's a wonderful comeback. Seems to me that it boils down to "No, you are!"

I think you may be spending too much time with your midgets and peewees, Rich, you're starting to sound like a fifth grader.

By the way, I've got a video clip of Ken Scuderi shooting a puck at Mike Schafer to back me up, along with statistics that say that Clarkson was penalized more than Cornell in each of Schafer's first three years (the "early years" you speak of), and in 7 the first 9 years of Schafer's tenure at Cornell, including an astronomical 710 penalty minutes (by far the most in the ECAC, and fully 200 more then Cornell) in Morris' last year as coach. What do you have? The rolleyes smiley?

Date: March 03, 2005 05:23PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:
His team was clearly better and he even benefitted from questionable officiating...so why make an ass of yourself?[/Q]
One man's "questionable officiating" is another man's "Clarkson under Morris was often a dirty team". *shrug*[/q]
Right...just like cornell under Schafer in the early years.[/q] It was a slander then and it is a slander now.

A quick comparison of "dirty" Cornell under Schafer vs. Clarkson:
Year     Cornell PIM    Clarkson PIM
95-96   792                937
96-97   ?                    ?
97-98   595                 747
98-99   569                 550
99-00   543                 518
00-01   417                 442
01-02   458                 663
02-03   499                 710

That was some year you put together under Gentleman Fred Parker.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't use words like "slander" when the number 792 is sitting there, but at least "glass houses" seems appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 05:29PM by ugarte.

Date: March 03, 2005 05:25PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:I've got ... statistics that say that Clarkson was penalized more than Cornell in each of Schafer's first three years (the "early years" you speak of), and in 7 the first 9 years of Schafer's tenure at Cornell, including an astronomical 710 penalty minutes (by far the most in the ECAC, and fully 200 more then Cornell) in Morris' last year as coach. What do you have? The rolleyes smiley?[/q]Great minds think alike...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 05:32PM

Okay, it was at least somewhat interesting when you were debating the value of the regular season vs. post season 'winners' (I'll avoid using "title" or "champion" to refer to them not too take a side - plus, we all know "Regular Season" doesn't deserve "Champion" after it ;-) ).

But now that we've gotten into a "who's team is goonier" debate, well, its not worth it. This is degrading into USCHO a little too much for my liking help

Date: March 03, 2005 05:36PM

[enter BU and North Dakota fans]

:-D

Date: March 03, 2005 05:37PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

There's nothing for me to get over. I've supported my team steadfastly for many years.

OTOH, your team is coached by a guy who was cheered with "Kill, Schafer, Kill". So, who's the goon here?[/q]

Date: March 03, 2005 05:38PM

Cupcakes give you tummyaches!
stupid

Date: March 03, 2005 05:39PM

You guys haven't been paying attention or rather, exercise selective memory. I have said for several years that Clarkson has played "undisciplined" hockey, taking many dumb penalties, a lot in retaliation.

In Morris's best years they still took a lot of penalties but not the dumb kind plus they were at or near the top in special teams play, much as cornell has been in recent years.

Give it a rest with Parker. Your comment borders on the moronic. He was thrust into an untenable situation with no administrative support and a team clearly in turmoil and devoid of senior leadership. Think of cornell in the McCutcheon years.

Slander? Oh please...you don't recall all the other ECAC coaches that complained about cornell's style back then?

Slander? Lik eyou guys lambasting Morris when you did not know and still do not know all the facts?

Give it a rest. My Peewees and Bantams see things in a more objective way than you guys do. One of you raised that "question" so there you go.

Date: March 03, 2005 05:39PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
But now that we've gotten into a "who's team is goonier" debate, well, its not worth it. This is degrading into USCHO a little too much for my liking [/q]I didn't start the "goon" debate, but if someone is going to use the term he should look at his own squad first.

Date: March 03, 2005 05:57PM

right, see how silly everyone can be?

Oh wow, you have the video of Scuderi...I dont recall Killer Schafer making an issue of it, so why do you so long after the fact ?

And of course, you interviewed Scuderi and he said.."yeah I intended to hit someone on the bench."

Get over your obsession.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:16PM

Rich, you really have to chill out. It might be better for you not to contradict every sentence of yourself too.

You attack for him bringing up something so long ago, yet you were the one who brought up the "early days of Schafer" and Fred Parker (which was approximately equally long ago as the puck shooting incident.

You agree that the argument is stupid and silly, and then you continue it, and then say everyone else is obsessed.

I'm not here to help you win, or to bail you out (although you were getting you ass handed to you on the goonery/PIM stats).

You're free to make your points on here, although I wish we could get back to a more interesting discussion and that's my point.

But you may want to avoid bringing up things 8 years ago and then criticizing people who bring up something from 2 years ago because it was so far back. It completely destroys any chance at credibility.

Date: March 03, 2005 06:20PM

ahhhhh ... RichS ... no interview needed. anyone of the 3836 in attendance can tell you he intended to hit someone on the Cornell bench. who???
we'll never know ... but you'd be a fool to deny his intent.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 06:23PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

ahhhhh ... RichS ... no interview needed. anyone of the 3836 in attendance can tell you he intended to hit someone on the Cornell bench. who???
we'll never know ... but you'd be a fool to deny his intent.[/q]
Since I'm not taking sides, that's not true. Its very deniable. Its always deniable. You could think it was just an accident. Afterall, people still think Clemens wasn't throwing neither the ball nor the broken bat at Piazza. Or, not to take sides in the Yanks/Sox thing here, that Pedro doesn't throw at people.

Its always deniable, and its not really the point anyway. Making a point on one instance to prove a generality isn't very hard proof. The PIM is much more convincing. Best stick to that anyway.

Date: March 03, 2005 06:27PM

point taken ... B-]

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:26PM

Some Clarkson fan complains because a 32-year-old Cornell fan exclaims, "Let's go, Red!"? What's she gonna say if Clarkson ever gets a home-and-home series with Nebraska in football (club football?) and the Cornhusker fans pull up Thursday afternoon in the Bluebird motor homes (ever price one of those suckers?) and start partying for the next 72 hours. That's the fans for which one should reserve, "Grow up."

One of the nicest things is that Cornell hockey, especially road games, brings together three generations of Cornellians for a couple hours. And the old broad from along the St. Lawrence wants to destroy that very bond? Sheesh.

Where will the thread end?
Date: March 03, 2005 07:28PM

It's at 2229 views so far. I'm guessing 4,000 before this slugfest winds down. Cowbell Guy, you started it; if you were getting ad views on top of the pages, I'd think you had an ulterior motive. So it has to be pure altruism that you led you to scan and post this page.

Date: March 03, 2005 07:32PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
I dont recall Killer Schafer making an issue of it, so why do you so long after the fact ?[/q]He was probably just happy that he hadn't gotten hit in the head. (That time, anyway.)

Date: March 03, 2005 07:32PM

Stupid question and I asked this once before: If the hockey pep band also is the group that showed up for the Cornell @ Princeton lax game last year, the Cornell OT victory, you were outstanding there, too, especially in light of the absence of the Princeton Tiger dismounted, not marching band. Way to go.

Actually, I think the band is plenty loud enough at Lynah, but that's just aging ears. Love those Etymotics ear plugs.

Date: March 03, 2005 07:39PM

That is one part tasteless and three parts funny. We should all (maybe even me) cool down.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 07:48PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Stupid question and I asked this once before: If the hockey pep band also is the group that showed up for the Cornell @ Princeton lax game last year, the Cornell OT victory, you were outstanding there, too, especially in light of the absence of the Princeton Tiger dismounted, not marching band. Way to go.

Actually, I think the band is plenty loud enough at Lynah, but that's just aging ears. Love those Etymotics ear plugs. [/q]

Yeah, that was the pep band. That is one of my favorite memories of my time here.

The look on the Princeton fan base was hilarious, as was their assistant coach saying "keep those guys as far away from us as possible."

Date: March 03, 2005 08:26PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

That is one part tasteless and three parts funny. We should all (maybe even me) cool down. [/q]

It's my nuclear option.

I only pull it out when the situation really really calls for it.

Re: How To Be a Good Fan (Why RS titles matter (to Clarkson))
Date: March 03, 2005 08:29PM

Clarkson notes its regular season championships because one crows about what you've got.

RS championships (being nice here and not typing RS "championships";) (9)
2000-01 Clarkson
1998-99 Clarkson
1996-97 Clarkson
1994-95 Clarkson
1990-91 Clarkson
1981-82 Clarkson
1980-81 Clarkson
1976-77 Clarkson
1965-66 Clarkson

ECAC tournament championships (4)
1998-99 Clarkson
1992-93 Clarkson
1990-91 Clarkson
1965-66 Clarkson

In sporting circles, four playoff championships to show for the nine times you went in as top seed ... would be called a, er, what's that word when you have a fish bone caught in the throat?

With Cornell, its cup runneth over with ECAC tournament titles and the RS titles are nice secondary trinkets, as is the Ivy title (mostly it's nice to win the Ivies to make sure Harvard doesn't win it).

ECAC RS titles (8)
2004-05 Cornell
2002-03 Cornell
2001-02 Cornell
1972-73 Cornell
1971-72 Cornell
1969-70 Cornell
1968-69 Cornell
1967-68 Cornell

Tournament titles (10 and counting)
2004-05 Cornell
2002-03 Cornell
1996-97 Cornell
1995-96 Cornell
1985-86 Cornell
1979-80 Cornell
1972-73 Cornell
1969-70 Cornell
1968-69 Cornell
1967-68 Cornell
1966-67 Cornell

A Clarkson fan could point out it has had more ECAC players of the year, 7-5, than Cornell, although it's unlikely the margin will widen this year. In fact, it could well narrow to 7-6.

There's a saying that the French give out lots of medals because they don't win many wars. Same way, apparently, why one counts RS titles when there are post-season tournaments that decides who plays further.

Date: March 03, 2005 08:59PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
2004-05 Cornell
[/q]
did i miss something here bill??? screwy

Posted by: ganderson (---.its.yale.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:16PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:
2004-05 Cornell
[/Q]
did i miss something here bill???[/q]

Presumably that's the "and counting" portion. It's also the kind of woofing that blows shut-outs if you believe in that sort of thing. And even if you don't, [as polite as possible] knock it off [/as polite as possible]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 09:43PM by ganderson.

Date: March 03, 2005 09:37PM

Decorum prevents me from typing here what some "faithful" yelled at me a few years ago when I stood at Lynah and yelled "Lets Go Tech" a few times.

Not only from the adjoining section but also from the band across the ice. It was clearly audible...and priceless to say the least.

Re: How To Count your cluck clucks
Date: March 03, 2005 09:45PM

Nah, just another example of red arrogance...as in "why bother showing up in Albany guys...you know we'll win the only games that matter".

Like you guys, I couldn't resist.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:55PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
I got a kick out of you guys bringing newspapers to Cheel. With half the arena doing that, the effect is cool. With 20 people doing it, and throwing the papers into the net behind the goal... well basically it make you look stupid. You would've looked even dumber had one reached the ice, though.[/q]

Hmm, we're supposed to throw them at each other on the road. But I guess if they knew the net would catch them all.

We do the newspaper thing even when it's just six of us in Florida. (Although we do try to pass out extra paper to the people around us.) The hard part is remembering to bring a newspaper to the game on a road trip.

Re: intent...lol
Date: March 03, 2005 09:59PM

Well, at least MOST of the 3836 would say that, i.e., those being the home fans in attendance. Does that make it fact? Not a chance.

I'm recalling that in my 3 years of coaching HS hockey here in NJ, I must have ducked out of the way of four or five pucks that were flew over the bench and came towards me. Did I think any one of those kids were aiming at me or anyone else on our bench?

Nope, I was just glad that this old goalie's eyes and reactions were both good enough to get out of the way. Only someone with an inflated ego would have a first thought that he was the target of a player.

As noted, Schafer was probably glad he wasn't hit. Which leaves you guys with the ego problem...:-D

Date: March 03, 2005 10:02PM

[Q]RichS Wrote: Decorum prevents me from typing here what some "faithful" yelled at me a few years ago when I stood at Lynah and yelled "Lets Go Tech" a few times. Not only from the adjoining section but also from the band across the ice. It was clearly audible...and priceless to say the least. [/q]You say a fan wearing red, presumably a Cornell fan, said something that hurt your sense of self-esteem? That can be a bummer. One's sense of self-worth is so important and to have it trampled in a friendly sporting event ... [sigh]. I'm sure the collective eLynah community would like to extend its heartfelt regrets.

We're feeling a little down ourselves because our Big Red doesn't get to play this Friday and Saturday. Your team is so lucky to have games for its faithful to play.

Re: How To Be a Good Fan (Why RS titles matter (to Clarkson)) (oops)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:10PM

My bad. I thought I took that extra championship line out before it was posted. Apologies for counting chickens not yet hatched. But still: After browsing the ECAC record book, you can see why Clarkson fans are so big on RS titles as a mark of accomplishment: they have lots of them and not so many tournament titles. That's a lot of heartbreak. That and going 0-for-3 in NCAA title games. Not that we've been there lately, ourselves.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 10:16PM by billhoward.

Re: credibility?
Date: March 03, 2005 10:17PM

hmmm....interesting, amusing.

I assure you that with a number of you firing at me about Clarkson hockey, my credibilty on this board is the last thing I'm concerned about.

At least one of you guys takes a pot shot at Parker and others bring up Morris and his teams, etc and someone else first uses the term "goon" on this thread and I'm responsible?

I only made reference to Schafer's "early years" after someone put Morris's era in play.

I think you may want to look into the mirror when you tell someone to "chill out." I'd be happy to have a more "interesting discussion" as you suggest but nothing here suggests you guys are interested in same.

The "obsessed" thing stems from the observation that at least some of you are still ticked off about the Scuderi incident (which Schafer never made an issue of, at least publically AFAIK) and still feel compelled to dump on Morris in general. He's been gone over two years now, I'd think by now you'd be more interested in belittling George Roll.

I'm tired and have more rewarding writing to do...carry on.

Date: March 03, 2005 10:26PM

Oh please...get over it Bill...it's not about my self-esteem at all. If I were worried about being cursed at, would I have ever set foot in Lynah?

I feel sorry for supposed adults at ANY arena...Lynah, Cheel, etc.. who get bent out of shape because visiting fans have the temerity to cheer for their team.

I'm pretty thick-skinned so it didn't bother me. I imagine that this faithful fan should have been embaressed that a simple "Lets Go Tech" caused him to almost have a stroke. And when cornell was winning, no less!

I feel bad you have nothing to do this weekend...what will you do? Think back to what you did last year after, as someone on this thread said earlier, when cornell got "fish bones stuck in their throats" in the QF series. You survived that, I'm sure you can make it through this weekend too.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:27PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Stupid question and I asked this once before: If the hockey pep band also is the group that showed up for the Cornell @ Princeton lax game last year, the Cornell OT victory, you were outstanding there, too, especially in light of the absence of the Princeton Tiger dismounted, not marching band. Way to go.[/q]
[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:
As for Cornell, don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the band. And this has nothing to do with Macho Man. They have, however, been on a bit of a downward trend the last few years. There hasn't been a very strong solo trumpet since Chris Orelup. The middle brass is thin and often, well, poor. But I think my biggest issue lately has been percussion. The percussion section is small, but still the most audible. However, they often seem to think they should be conducting and are completely off doing their own thing. There's rarely someone on bass drum who actually knows the songs. At Clarkson, I actually watched the conductor walk up and remind the guy he was supposed to be playing. He later discovered you can't play the bass drum while talking on a cell phone. Maybe I was spoiled by the band in the late 90's. Hopefully it's just cyclical. And the band certainly has nights when they sound like the best band in the ECAC. But there are other nights... I know the band gets almost no support. I literally watched instruments fall apart at Colgate. I guess I just don't like seeing other schools do it better.[/q]

It's very cyclical. Just ask the seniors in the bone section. Oh wait ...

I'd argue that the Big Red Pep Band/Marching Band complex contributes more to the Cornell community than any individual sports team or music ensemble on campus, and yet receives so little support from the music department or athletics. (Of course people don't come to a sporting event to see the band, but it certainly reaches more people throughout the year than any one team.)

Anyway, my point is, I'm damn proud of what our band does with what it has. Instrumentation comes and goes, off nights happen, and stagnation can settle in if conductors don't work their butts off, but I think the tradition of having fun and kicking ass has transferred pretty well from the mid-late 90's crew ... even if we can't say "sucks" anymore :-D

Man, this thread is getting schizophrenic.

Re: playtime in the sandbox anyone ... ???
Date: March 03, 2005 11:06PM

i have to say most of this thread has been an interesting read … and for better or worse points made on all sides. OTOH ... KP '06 is right, the rest of this discussion makes me think we're approaching that time in the discussion when we break out the dedicated sandbox thread [looks at bill and RichS] and allow those who wish to "play w/ each other" to do just that. therefore allowing the non-participants to watch from afar so as not to get covered in the $hit that has begun to fly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 11:08PM by ben03.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:20PM

Point of order, the band's new faculty advisor has said that saying "sucks" is now permissible... of course, he is new at the post.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:56AM

"Sucks" wasn't allowed? Weak.

Re: intent...lol
Date: March 04, 2005 03:53AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Well, at least MOST of the 3836 would say that, i.e., those being the home fans in attendance. Does that make it fact? Not a chance.

I'm recalling that in my 3 years of coaching HS hockey here in NJ, I must have ducked out of the way of four or five pucks that were flew over the bench and came towards me. Did I think any one of those kids were aiming at me or anyone else on our bench?

Nope, I was just glad that this old goalie's eyes and reactions were both good enough to get out of the way. Only someone with an inflated ego would have a first thought that he was the target of a player.

As noted, Schafer was probably glad he wasn't hit. Which leaves you guys with the ego problem... [/q]Come on, Rich, even YOU can't be this asinine. There's a difference between a puck that randomly flies into the bench during the course of play and a puck that's flicked upwards and sideways by a player who's standing right next to the bench, a second or two after it was dropped, with five seconds left in a two-goal game. Watch the video. Take off your green-and-gold glasses. Tell me with a straight face that Scuderi needed to do anything other than stickhandle for three seconds until the game ended (look at the box score, that's how long was left in the game), or that there was ANY reason for him to be shooting the puck ANYWHERE at all (let alone in a direction where, oh look, Mike Schafer just HAPPENS to be standing). You can't do it. It was a dirty, classless play, and it was deservedly penalized, and it's only your irresistible urge to defend anything Clarkson-related that keeps you from acknowledging that.

But no, you'll just accuse me of dwelling on things that happened three years ago, rather than face up to reality. Go ahead. Use the rolleyes smiley a few times. Accuse Cornell of being dirty in Schafer's early years (but don't back it up with any specific examples). Talk about how I don't know what was in Scuderi's head and that I don't have any right to draw a conclusion because I didn't interview him after the game. But please, by all means, don't bother to look at what actually happened. You might not like what you see.

Date: March 04, 2005 04:08AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:
Point of order, the band's new faculty advisor has said that saying "sucks" is now permissible... of course, he is new at the post.[/q]Awesome. I like him already. (Not that it was ever Conn who cared about the language.)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 04, 2005 04:13AM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

RichS Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

RichS Wrote:
His team was clearly better and he even benefitted from questionable officiating...so why make an ass of yourself?[/Q]
One man's "questionable officiating" is another man's "Clarkson under Morris was often a dirty team". *shrug*[/Q]
Right...just like cornell under Schafer in the early years.[/Q]
It was a slander then and it is a slander now.

A quick comparison of "dirty" Cornell under Schafer vs. Clarkson:
Year Cornell PIM Clarkson PIM
95-96 792 937
96-97 ? ?
97-98 595 747
98-99 569 550
99-00 543 518
00-01 417 442
01-02 458 663
02-03 499 710

That was some year you put together under Gentleman Fred Parker.

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't use words like "slander" when the number 792 is sitting there, but at least "glass houses" seems appropriate.[/q]
As much as defending Clarkson goes against my grain, wouldn't this make more sense if it was on a PIM/game basis? Clarkson does play more games. (Well, at least in the regular season they do. ;-) )

Posted by: Erica (---.afip.osd.mil)
Date: March 04, 2005 12:17PM

The only school, AFAIK, that puts heavy weight on the interview is the Hotel School. They require it, and it can make or break you. I know my interview for the Arts School was pretty lame and never went back to the admissions committee anyway.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:27PM

I'm pretty sure architecture has a required interview as well. I'm not sure how we'd know, thought, because I've never heard of a non-architecht ever actually meeting one...

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: March 04, 2005 02:01PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
I'm not sure how we'd know, thought, because I've never heard of a non-architecht ever actually meeting one...[/q]

I knew one.....from high school.

Date: March 04, 2005 02:03PM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

I'm pretty sure architecture has a required interview as well. I'm not sure how we'd know, thought, because I've never heard of a non-architecht ever actually meeting one...[/q]

My girlfriend had an Architect friend who lived near her in Balch. Actually we used to have to make sure she occasionally slept in her room at Balch rather than at her desk in Rand.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 04:28PM

Yeah - I've heard that urban legend before, too, JTW - a friend of a friend... ;-)

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login