Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

How To Be a Good Fan

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How To Be a Good Fan
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:25PM

So, they had these flyers at Cheel on Saturday. For those who weren't there, I just had to share. Too funny...

Re: How To Be a Good Fan
Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:31PM

I don't understand - "Please keep all cheers creative"? I thought they wanted their fans to do the cheers they suggested, which definitely are not creative. Make up your minds. nut

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2005 05:43PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:45PM

where's the "shoot spitballs at the opposing fans"? rolleyes

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:54PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote: where's the "shoot spitballs at the opposing fans"? [/q]Unneeded instruction. Encoded in Clarkson fan DNA.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:56PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

So, they had these flyers at Cheel on Saturday. [/q]

laugh

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 05:58PM

Priceless. I just printed one out for my fridge.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:01PM

Man, how did I miss these flyers? This is really funny. Their 'sieve' taunts really worked on McKee, obviously. rolleyes

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:02PM

Oh please...as if the faithful don't treat visting fans in similar fashion? I've experienced it myself.

It's somewhat sad to see that they found it necessary to put out these instructions. Just shows you that Cheel's atmosphere is not what it used to be and of course, the team the past 2-3 uears has been weak and needs help!

If you wanted to see home ice advantage, old Clarkson/Walker Arena was the place to be.

I disagree with one thing in particular...any top goalie who is focused and on his game, might "hear" the fans yelling BUT they block it out. Actually, most players do that. As a former goalie and current coach, I believe that heckling is overrated re: upsetting players, but if it gets the fans into the game, so be it.

Does this satisfy the requirement that I respond to anything "negative" about Clarkson? :-D

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:06PM

Probably they were all gone before you saw them- either the students disposed of them in the proper receptacle or kept them for future reference as so helpfully suggested at the bottom of the flyer. :-P

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:08PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Oh please...as if the faithful don't treat visting fans in similar fashion? I've experienced it myself.

It's somewhat sad to see that they found it necessary to put out these instructions. Just shows you that Cheel's atmosphere is not what it used to be and of course, the team the past 2-3 uears has been weak and needs help!

If you wanted to see home ice advantage, old Clarkson/Walker Arena was the place to be.

I disagree with one thing in particular...any top goalie who is focused and on his game, might "hear" the fans yelling BUT they block it out. Actually, most players do that. As a former goalie and current coach, I believe that heckling is overrated re: upsetting players, but if it gets the fans into the game, so be it.

Does this satisfy the requirement that I respond to anything "negative" about Clarkson? [/q]

Ok...who had 37 minutes?

Date: March 01, 2005 06:13PM

>>> "SILVERTHORN AND McKEE ARE SIEVES!!! LET THEM KNOW THIS!!!!"

125 minutes played, 3 goals allowed, 1.44 GAA (the average of 2.76GAA and 0.00GAA). Some sieves.

[edit: correcting basic math error of two games plus 1 OT equalling not 165 but 125 minutes.]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2005 06:17PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:13PM

I'm sure it was their most modestly priced receptacle. :-D

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:14PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:165 minutes played, 3 goals allowed, 1.44 GAA (the average of 2.76GAA and 0.00GAA). Some sieves. [/q]Two hockey games plus one overtime equals 125 minutes, not 165.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:22PM

[q]I disagree with one thing in particular...any top goalie who is focused and on his game, might "hear" the fans yelling BUT they block it out. Actually, most players do that. As a former goalie and current coach, I believe that heckling is overrated re: upsetting players, but if it gets the fans into the game, so be it.[/q]Part of being a good player at a high level is blocking out everything that's happening in the stands. I suspect that heckling doesn't have an effect very often, especially when it's the generic "Sieve" type (note: I don't have any problem with sieve chants - I just don't think any college goalie is going to be upset at being called one). It definitely can have an effect on occasion, as Mr. Boucher demonstrated at Lynah a few years back. When the crowd can rise to that level where they actually do impact a player's performance then it's something to be proud of (since I find it unlikely that the crowd ever reallly helps an opposing player do better).

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:31PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Oh please...as if the faithful don't treat visting fans in similar fashion? I've experienced it myself. [/q]

I'm sure some do, and it's not cool.

Spitballs -- not cool :-(
"Section O sucks" etc cheers -- cool :-P
Buying each other a drink after the game -- way cool B-]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:33PM

you know, this sorta thing (cheer sheet) reminds me (in principle) of the whole duke cheer sheets mess. i hand it to the cam' crazies, they're very creative. most amusing recent escapade: maryland player nick caner-medley was arrested for a drunken fight, and he reportedly screamed out "you can't beat me, i'm from maryland" as he was taken away in cuffs. at the next game, the sheets indicated the info to all the students, and in rounds the two halves of the stadium commenced "i'm from maryland" and "you can't beat me." that's too good. some other game, a guy came dressed in a huge milk carton: missing jumpshot.

but back to the point. yes, these people spend hours researching lurid details of opponents' pasts, and get far worse details than the faithful generally do. (and if you thought the phone number/parents name thing crosses the line...). however, these kids who run the operation are like the cheering nazis of cameron indoor. they have to pass out these ridiculous cheer sheets in the thousands to the fans, who just repeat things, instead of coming up with them on their own. what i like about lynah is that it's so freewheeling. nobody tells (told) me what to say, and that was the best. there's alot more creativity in the approach, even if it isn't as far-reaching into the dark pasts of the opponents.

-mike

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:36PM

in addition, "i'd rather be dead than red."
well, i'd rather spell "impersonator" correctly on a sheet i plan to give to thousands of people which espouses my school pride and represents my education.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:38PM

[Q]
I disagree with one thing in particular...any top goalie who is focused and on his game, might "hear" the fans yelling BUT they block it out. Actually, most players do that. As a former goalie and current coach, I believe that heckling is overrated re: upsetting players, but if it gets the fans into the game, so be it. [/q]

well we know that a certain dartmouth college goaltender whose name is quite similar to that of a waterboy turned devilsgame i mean football player was ALWAYS able to block out the cheers of section A :)

i laugh every time i think about that goal...:-D

Posted by: peterg (205.232.74.---)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:48PM

I have to agree with RichS - it's kind of sad that this was necessary at Clarkson. I can remember a trip up around 1980 or 1981. Brian Hayward was in net. He'll still tell you he can hear that bell. It was a horrible result (a 10-3 loss, or maybe 12-2? - just horrible), but the atmosphere in the old rink was incredible. Oh, and that bell. The crowd needed no prompting and it was as tough a place to play as any - I dare say as tough or tougher than Lynah was then or is now. Did I mention the bell?

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2005 06:50PM

Most of their fans were pretty passionless at the game, especially considering that it was senior night. The students gave the obligatory f*** Cornell chant (and were obviously not repremanded), and followed their cheer sheets like good little soldiers.
The one thing that did impressed me, was that they all new the anti-Cornell remix to Cayuga's Waters ("there is a funny smell"... you know how it goes), which impresses me even more that I realize it wasn't on the cheer sheet.
This of course resulted in subsequent embarassment, when they were instructed to sing their own alma mater for the seniors, and no one knew the words (good thing the band knew it). Just a few thoughts from the game
---> and props to the Cornell fans for turning the "Let's go Tech" chant into a resounding "discotech" chant... hillarious

Date: March 01, 2005 07:17PM

[q] Most of their fans were pretty passionless at the game, especially considering that it was senior night.[/q]A couple people have made this comment. It seems to me that Senior night isn't an event that's going to really bring out the passion in the crowd unless they already have plenty to be thankful to the seniors for. When the team has performed poorly the crowd isn't going to be much into it, period. Yes, ideally we should all be good sports and such and respect the ffort that the seniors have put in, yada yada blah blah. But the reality is it's not surprising when the results on the ice aren't good. If and when Clarkson turns it around I'm sure their fans will be as rabid as ever.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:25PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:When the team has performed poorly the crowd isn't going to be much into it[/q]

They ought to be. It means they're leaving. ;-)

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:26PM

Speaking of the crazies from duke... the depth of the operation that led to the missing jordan jersey from nc state a while back is amazing. That took craftiness, creativity and extreme dedication.

Date: March 01, 2005 07:32PM

Oh, and by the way... "You're a big puss"? Laaaaaaaame.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:36PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

It's somewhat sad to see that they found it necessary to put out these instructions. [/q]

Yeah, these Clarkson fans are so dumb in that they need instruction on how to cheer.

[www.elynah.com]

stupid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2005 07:39PM by Facetimer.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 07:45PM

The announcer proudly stating that in their 4 year careers that they had 56 wins was the best moment of the night.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:21PM

Hey, that's a lot of wins.... oh wait, they've lost 63 games too.

Date: March 01, 2005 08:40PM

Well, they were pretty passionate in the Todd White era but many of you guys may not remember that.

cornell wasn't as strong then and the Faithful had an off night the time I was there during White's senior year...'96-'97. So "off" that they actually cheered White respectfully as a legit Hobey candidate after he put on a dominating performance.

And here's something to reflect on. In '97 and '99, when I saw Clarkson win at Lynah, both of which clinched the reg season title, I experienced some over the line behavior directed at Clarkson fans. Interesting that in the most recent two trips to Lynah when corenll dominated from the first minute and won rather easily, th evisiting fans were treated much better.

Hmmm....and it seems that same dynamic is at hand currently at Cheel from the coments of you guys who were there the past couple of years.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 08:48PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

Well, they were pretty passionate in the Todd White era but many of you guys may not remember that.

cornell wasn't as strong then and the Faithful had an off night the time I was there during White's senior year...'96-'97. So "off" that they actually cheered White respectfully as a legit Hobey candidate after he put on a dominating performance.[/q]Of course we remember! That is when we got passionate about deriding the meaninglessness of the regular season "title."

Cornell Big Red, ECAC Champions 1996 and 1997.

Date: March 01, 2005 08:53PM

But did we give out cheer sheets those years?

Date: March 01, 2005 09:21PM

yeah, because cornell didn't win it...lol. Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. :-D

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 09:27PM

"When finished with this guide please dispose of in the proper receptacle," sounds like the email sent by an executive at Arthur Andersen to Enron!moon

Date: March 01, 2005 09:31PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. [/q]I dunno, Rich. The left-hand side of my screen calls it the "Cleary Jell-O Mold" at the moment. I think it said "Cleary Pisspot" on my last click.

Date: March 01, 2005 09:33PM

Now Clarkson fans once again learn the reality that a gracious loser is still a, ah, loser.

Clarkson/St. Lawrence seem to share a couple ECAC RS or postseason titles every ten years, then go into never-neverland.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 10:30PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. [/q]
"Cleary Spittoon" on mine - very clever, Age, with that random script to show the alternate names. How technology improves our lives every day B-]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 10:44PM

[Q]peterg Wrote:

I have to agree with RichS - it's kind of sad that this was necessary at Clarkson. I can remember a trip up around 1980 or 1981. Brian Hayward was in net. He'll still tell you he can hear that bell. It was a horrible result (a 10-3 loss, or maybe 12-2? - just horrible), but the atmosphere in the old rink was incredible. Oh, and that bell. The crowd needed no prompting and it was as tough a place to play as any - I dare say as tough or tougher than Lynah was then or is now. Did I mention the bell?[/q]

At least the bell is being used again. There were a couple of years there when the boys from DSP seemed to be falling down on the job.

And as I've said before, if Tech ever wins the national title, that damn bell had better ring for 24 hours straight.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:44PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

But did we give out cheer sheets those years?[/q]

Cheer sheets were given out in the past 20 years, several times, by the boosters, the band and by interested fans. I have a couple, including one from a Harvard game, when the fans had clearly forgotten the special Harvard cheers and the band needed to remind them of the words.

And there have been plenty of times over the past 20 years when the Faithful have been bad (and tasteless) sports after losing at Lynah.

It's easy to laugh at others when things are going as well as they are for our hockey program now.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:48PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

you know, this sorta thing (cheer sheet) reminds me (in principle) of the whole duke cheer sheets mess. i hand it to the cam' crazies, they're very creative. most amusing recent escapade: maryland player nick caner-medley was arrested for a drunken fight, and he reportedly screamed out "you can't beat me, i'm from maryland" as he was taken away in cuffs. at the next game, the sheets indicated the info to all the students, and in rounds the two halves of the stadium commenced "i'm from maryland" and "you can't beat me." that's too good. some other game, a guy came dressed in a huge milk carton: missing jumpshot.

[/q]

Of course, the Maryland fans got their revenge: [www.diamondbackonline.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 01, 2005 11:51PM

[Q]Among other drivel, RichS wrote:
Oh please...as if the faithful don't treat visting fans in similar fashion? I've experienced it myself. [/Q]

As usual, RichS shows up only to miss the point. Nobody was complaining that the cheer sheets called for behavior that crossed the line - in fact, quite the opposite: we were laughing at how weak the called-for cheers were. When I go to Clarkson, I expect to be verbally abused 10x worse than anything that was printed on those sheets. Anything less, and you're hardly trying!

Let me spell it out for you:

Cool List:
Heckling opposing team
Heckling opposing fans
Spontaneous and creative cheers
Cheering a dominating performance by an opposing player
Gathering over a beer with opposing fans after a game
Having an annoying goddam bell that annoys the hell out of opposing fans

Lame List:
Passing out cheer sheets that have weak cheers on them
Not knowing the words to your school's alma mater
Crossing the line with opposing fans (spitballs, threats, physicality)

Date: March 02, 2005 12:42AM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

yeah, because cornell didn't win it...lol. Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. [/q]I, with Age, am calling bullshit on this. Nobody here calls us ECAC Champions because of the Cleary. We like regular season success because it demonstrates the quality of the team but we don't pretend that it means as much as the tournament. I remember the roundtable and every time Clarkson honked the tournament we had to have the same debate about what "champion" meant.

Our Red Are AWESOME!!!

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 12:48AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:
Cool List:
Spontaneous and creative cheers
[/q]

Addition:

Passing out a cheer sheet with creative cheers to counteract the ubiquity of "[Opposing team] sucks!"

If Clarkson's cheer sheet is lame, then show them up. Everyone knows that good taunting, like good comedy, requires equal parts preparation and spontaneity.

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 02:52AM

I'm prepared to take the hate... but here's a perspective from a Clarkson fan.

Seriously... if you are trying to call Clarkson not creative, I think you need to look at your own. Your cheers haven't changed in how long? I understand that some are tradition and that's great, but when you say "Clarkson... SUCKS" ad nauseum (to the tune of 15 times in the first period, we counted) then it's time to think up something new.

I thought "Drive home, find a gorge, jump right in" was fairly creative, and don't worry, we keep adding verses to your alma mater (new one added last year). I'll be seeing the Lynah Faithful again for the 2nd round of the ECAC playoffs regardless of Clarkson vs Union (living in Ithaca and being on spring break I need something to do). I'll keep track of your cheers and let you know how much more or less creative you were than Clarkson.

Also, keep in mind that nobody's student section gets into it, INCLUDING the Lynah Faithful, when they're getting killed. From what I hear, Game 3 of last year's playoffs at Lynah was pretty dead, except for all of you getting mad at the Clarkson fan with the trumpet. Regardless of what you thought of him, you gotta admit it takes balls to go to Lynah and do what he did.

With regard to the Karma Bell -- the frat kids who ring it now are idiots. They tend to ring it at the most inappropriate times (right after we take a penalty), which is why you don't see them as much. It's considered annoying when not rung appropriately. If they could give the job to someone other than that frat, which unfortunately they can't, it might be a lot better.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 06:45AM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
Seriously... if you are trying to call Clarkson not creative, I think you need to look at your own. Your cheers haven't changed in how long?[/q]

About one game. The great thing about any creative hockey crowd, whether Lynah or elsewhere, is the spontaneous, one-time-only chants, cheers, jibes, insults, questioning of masculinity (in the case of engineering schools this is superfluous) and irritiating, incessant running commentary. If you listen at Lynah, there is never quiet or even semi-quiet -- people come up with stuff like flashbulbs going off, randomly, all over the building, in response to any stimulae, no matter how silly or subtle. Opposing players get ribbed for having their sweaters hang wrong, or for taking a turn or stop awkwardly, or for no reaon at all. And missed by the opposing fan is the constant hum of positive cheers and chants directed at the home team, and the ubiquitous screamed compliments and appreciations to home players for equally small stuff -- keeping their head up and making a small positional change that blocks off a pass, backing up another guy when he pinches in, or... for no reason at all, but just because they're wearing red.

The en masse, traditional cheers are only a tiny portion of the experience. If you think Lynah is just "Screw BU, X Too!", you're completely missing the point.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 06:53AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
daredevilcu Wrote:
Seriously... if you are trying to call Clarkson not creative, I think you need to look at your own. Your cheers haven't changed in how long?[/Q]
The en masse, traditional cheers are only a tiny portion of the experience. If you think Lynah is just "Screw BU, X Too!", you're completely missing the point.[/q]

Plus, coming to this board and saying "[Opposing team] Sucks!" is an overused crutch is kind of preaching to the choir.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 02, 2005 08:02AM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

Will Wrote:

But did we give out cheer sheets those years?[/Q]
Cheer sheets were given out in the past 20 years, several times, by the boosters, the band and by interested fans. I have a couple, including one from a Harvard game, when the fans had clearly forgotten the special Harvard cheers and the band needed to remind them of the words.[/q]

I've thought of making up cheer sheets to marshall the locals at far-flung tournaments after the experience of having about two people in the Cornell section at the 1995 Denver Cup [www.amurgsval.org] know any of the cheers.

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:
It's easy to laugh at others when things are going as well as they are for our hockey program now.[/q]

And Clarkson has certainly been one of the better crowds in their prime. Vermont may have had bigger loud crowds, but at least Tech has more than one cheer.

But still, "You're a big puss"? Lame! Don't call someone a pussy if you're not willing to say the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 08:19AM by jtwcornell91.

Date: March 02, 2005 08:20AM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

I understand that some are tradition and that's great, but when you say "Clarkson... SUCKS" ad nauseum (to the tune of 15 times in the first period, we counted) then it's time to think up something new.[/q]

I think we all agree that that cheer has gotten a little overused lately. The version of that with the full name of the school, like "Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute ... SUCKS!" or "The Ohio State University ... SUCKS!" is really cool the first time it's done in a game, or a period, but not the fifth time. If Ari played the cowbell at every stoppage, we'd complain about him too.

But Greg's right, when we're on, there are also spur-of-the-moment cheers thrown in, like "Kris is a moron" after Union goalie Mayotte got caught lingering behind the net for a Cornell goal in our last home game.

[Q]I thought "Drive home, find a gorge, jump right in" was fairly creative, and don't worry, we keep adding verses to your alma mater (new one added last year).[/Q]

I happen to think the "awful smell" lyrics are kind of lame, but I know why you sing them, and the band's thing with the lighters is hilarious. It was also funny watching them burn their fingers when they came to Lynah on Senior Night last year. laugh But, new verses, how many are you up to? As discussed in another thread, we've got six. ;-)

[Q]I'll be seeing the Lynah Faithful again for the 2nd round of the ECAC playoffs regardless of Clarkson vs Union (living in Ithaca and being on spring break I need something to do). I'll keep track of your cheers and let you know how much more or less creative you were than Clarkson.[/Q]

Unfortunately, I won't be there, but if I were, I'd raise a glass with you at the Chapter House.

[Q]all of you getting mad at the Clarkson fan with the trumpet. Regardless of what you thought of him, you gotta admit it takes balls to go to Lynah and do what he did.[/Q]

One of the reasons I especially liked SC Bern games when EV Zug were the visitors is because they brought a good fan group, including not only drums but one or two trumpeters. And the Clarkson game at Lynah is always fun because Tech brings their band. (And unlike Colgate's, that band doesn't suck.)

[Q]With regard to the Karma Bell -- the frat kids who ring it now are idiots. They tend to ring it at the most inappropriate times (right after we take a penalty), which is why you don't see them as much. It's considered annoying when not rung appropriately. If they could give the job to someone other than that frat, which unfortunately they can't, it might be a lot better.[/q]

Reducing the impact by ringing at inappropriate times has been a problem for a while; I remember noting back in '97 that "yay, we completed a pass at the blue line" was kind of lame. [www.amurgsval.org] OTOH, there was a period where the DSP guys were just not showing up, or not coming until the second period. Ringing at the wrong times is better than not ringing at all.

Date: March 02, 2005 08:39AM

>>> Also, keep in mind that nobody's student section gets into it, INCLUDING the Lynah Faithful, when they're getting killed. From what I hear, Game 3 of last year's playoffs at Lynah was pretty dead, except for all of you getting mad at the Clarkson fan with the trumpet. Regardless of what you thought of him, you gotta admit it takes balls to go to Lynah and do what he did.

The kid has one point: bringing a trumpet to Lynah if you're solo, not part of the Clarkson marching band (for what sport would they march?), takes big ones.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:11AM

Is there a Clarkson cheer that goes "I'm blind, I'm dumb, I study at Cornell"? If so...what's up with that? I'm sorry, but that's a stupid cheer. Could one of the Clarkson people explain this to me?

Date: March 02, 2005 09:16AM

I believe it was "I smell, I'm dumb..."

Date: March 02, 2005 09:24AM

>>> Is there a Clarkson cheer that goes "I'm blind, I'm dumb, I study at Cornell"?

It's seven syllables short of hai-ku, although one could add, "Fight, fight, fight, go Golden Knights." But it's not the kind of thing you'd ink on ricepaper and hand out.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:27AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

The kid has one point: bringing a trumpet to Lynah if you're solo, not part of the Clarkson marching band (for what sport would they march?), takes big ones. [/q]

Marching with that big bass amplifier is kind of tricky. Although I did see one in a Mardi Gras parade, pulled along in a little wagon.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:35AM

Now that's creative. Woo!!

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 02, 2005 09:46AM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

I believe it was "I smell, I'm dumb..."[/q]

Presumably, "I'm dumb, I smell..." since that would actually rhyme.

Not every fanbase can come up with a sign that says "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate". And even fewer can hold the sign right-side-up. :-}

Date: March 02, 2005 10:29AM

As part of Clarkson's band -- we don't march for anything, the only sport we really play for is hockey. Nothing else is big in the frigid tundra known as Potsdam.

Oh... and yes, it's really pathetic that we needed the cheer sheet at all. I gotta say, I'm glad I go to Clarkson and not Cornell, but I wish we had enough people to have the kind of fan base Lynah's got, and I think most colleges would say the same thing.

Last year a third verse was added... and it's about time from what I gather. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with another good one, but it's not that easy. You'd think I'd be able to think of SOMETHING, living near Ithaca (10 square miles surrounded by reality). I also have NO CLUE how the student section knew the verses to our version of your alma mater, but it definitely was cool to find out that they did this weekend.

I do have to credit your pep band for one good cheer all night -- Disco Tech was funny. They just need to work on their diction to make it not sound like a garbled "Let's Go Tech"

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 11:50AM

I, for one, hope Clarkson gets back to form. I always loved it when they came to Lynah in my time... Their fan base was VERY creative and the back and forth jibes between the two was fun as hell.

Posted by: Brett Gobe (---.eastcampus.albany.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 12:40PM

As the person who wrote the orginal cheer sheet back in 2002 I feel like I need to defend myself.

I wrote that thing for the Clarkson - SLU game in which we were trying to, and did, break the attendance record. At the time I was a seinor, or junior, well I was at school, and our crowds, while good in attendance, were poor in cheering and general hockey knowledge. So I wrote the sheet in an attempt to get the whole student section to stand and taunt little Kevin Ackley in any way possible, just to try and get in his head. On the back side I printed off the current standings, and the scoring leaders for our team and other sorts of Clarkson sports info. I don't know if they do that now. Maybe it was just me. The sheets worked well, the students sprang to life and the game was great. So the idea kinda stuck.

As for "youre a big puss," we made that up after watching a Wresteling Tape dubbed over by ICP. They just kinda winged voices over Japanese wrestlers and one of the comments was, "I'm a big puss." Henceforth that kinda became tradition.

Date: March 02, 2005 01:21PM

You can call it "BS" all you want but you'd be wrong.

If winning the RS represents the quality of the team, how come it didn't represent that when Clarkson won it...and I'm talking about BEFORE their poor NCAA performance.

Date: March 02, 2005 01:32PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

You can call it "BS" all you want but you'd be wrong.

If winning the RS represents the quality of the team, how come it didn't represent that when Clarkson won it...and I'm talking about BEFORE their poor NCAA performance.

[/q]It represents the quality of the team, Rich. It just doesn't entitle them to call themselves champs. For instance, Cornell was not the ECAC champion in 2002. Capice?

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:37PM

Nor were the Steelers the NFL champions this past year. The NHL gives out an award for the best record. Do you see any Senators fans holding any parades for the ones that they won? Just because you won something doesn't make you "the champion".

Date: March 02, 2005 02:11PM

"Regular season champs"...isn't that the language used?

You don't have to explain the difference between the RS Champs and the playoff champs. Although there was a brief period when winning the RS title was eqaul in significance as it got you an auto bid to the NCAAs.

Capice?

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 02:12PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:

You can call it "BS" all you want but you'd be wrong.[/q]

What you said:
[Q] Posted by RichS on March 1, 2005

yeah, because cornell didn't win it...lol. Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. :-D[/Q]

What I said (another thread):
[Q]Posted by RichH on February 27, 2005

The Regular Season "Championship" is not a Championship, and there's nothing anyone can do or say to convince me otherwise. It made me want to vomit when USCHO Colgate fans put "2004 ECAC CHAMPIONS" in 48 point font in their signatures. (but not as much as I actually vomited when Harvard won the real 2004 Championship) I think Colgate's team also skated the Cleary Pisspot around as if it were the AVCO Cup. Morons.[/Q]

So yeah, what you said was BS. Many (not all, I admit) Cornell fans agree with me that the Whitelaw is much more significant and important than the Cleary Urinal. Which is contrary to your statement that now that we're winning it, we all think it's more meaningful than when Clarkson was winning it. We're hypocritical when it comes to a lot of things, but this one, I'm supporting ugarte's "BS" call, regardless of how you want to paint us.

Date: March 02, 2005 02:25PM

[Q]RichS Wrote:
Although there was a brief period when winning the RS title was eqaul in significance as it got you an auto bid to the NCAAs.[/q]
If all that matters is getting an NCAA bid, then they were equal in that respect, but hardly equal in significance. One meant you were league champions, one meant you got to play (and immediately lose, in Clarkson's case) in the NCAA tournament.

Date: March 02, 2005 04:07PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote: I gotta say, I'm glad I go to Clarkson and not Cornell, but I wish we had enough people to have the kind of fan base Lynah's got, and I think most colleges would say the same thing.[/q]Didn't Aesop say that a while back, only using "fox" instead of "Clarkson":

>>> A FAMISHED FOX saw some clusters of ripe black grapes hanging from a trellised vine. She resorted to all her tricks to get at them, but wearied herself in vain, for she could not reach them. At last she turned away, hiding her disappointment and saying: "The Grapes are sour, and not ripe as I thought." The moral of the story: Any fool can despise what he cannot get.

There ought to be a pairwise comarisons chart for all colleges showing who got in where and who enrolled where. Harvard and Princeton probably don't lose many PWCs. We win some, we lose some (but look at our strength of schedule), because for a lot of people it's where we wanted to go (really!), for some it's a safety school (right), for some it's a reach school.

But seriously for a minute: Do the Ivies at least among themselves share information about who's jointly admitted (eg to Cornell and Brown and Yale) so they can internally track who went where? That would be an intriguing free-market counterpoint to the U.S. News kinds of rankings the colleges decry (especially in years when they slip).

Date: March 02, 2005 04:12PM

[q]But seriously for a minute: Do the Ivies at least among themselves share information about who's jointly admitted (eg to Cornell and Brown and Yale) so they can internally track who went where?[/q]Absolutely. The Ivies and MIT got together to compare notes when it comes to financial aid. The theory being that in keeping with need-blind applicants should decide where to go based on the merits of each school and not based on financial decisions. The courts didn't like this theory so the practice was stopped (a number of years ago already).

Date: March 02, 2005 04:18PM

FYI, I could've gotten into Cornell had I wanted to. Salutatorian, 1340 SATs, good SAT 2's (don't remember exact score), plenty of extracurriculars. It's not that I couldn't become part of the Big Red. It's that I didn't want to. I know what Ithaca's like and it's pretty lame. Had I bothered to fill out the lengthy application, it would have been a safety school anyway, so I decided not to.

Also, where did I say I despised the Lynah Faithful? I don't -- they're actually an amazing group of fans that every sport needs some form of. Without dedicated fans like you guys, Cornell hockey would probably have nobody there who cared. Ever been to Dartmouth's arena? You think Colgate is dead... visit New Hampshire. That arena's not quiet -- it's SILENT.

I like your point, though. It would also be interesting to see who is accepted IV (since all Ivy is derived from is your athetic league years ago -- four), who decides to go there, and who goes elsewhere. Keep in mind that intelligence is probably less of a factor than money in most cases.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:37PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

FYI, I could've gotten into Cornell had I wanted to. Salutatorian, 1340 SATs, good SAT 2's (don't remember exact score), plenty of extracurriculars. It's not that I couldn't become part of the Big Red. It's that I didn't want to. I know what Ithaca's like and it's pretty lame. Had I bothered to fill out the lengthy application, it would have been a safety school anyway, so I decided not to.[/q]

[eng-as-web.ece.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Facetimer (---.toddweld.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:38PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

FYI, I could've gotten into Cornell had I wanted to. Salutatorian, 1340 SATs, good SAT 2's (don't remember exact score), plenty of extracurriculars.[/q]

Sorry Pal, we don't bother to accept people who score below 1350 on their SATs. But I can see your point, Potsdam isn't lame at all.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:41PM

Please please please tell me we're not gonna have the NC vs. Ithaca debate again.

Re: How To Be a Good Fan [OT: grants & aid]
Date: March 02, 2005 04:43PM

[OT] The comparison of admissions information for the purposes, allegedly, of making equal financial aid offers, that I knew about. I was thinking about the tracking afterwards, of seeing who actually enrolled where, and comparing that to the places where the person was accepted. Did the schools follow through before, and did they give it up after their legal woes arose?

The equal-financial-aid issue among the Ivies and MIT was a fascinating case of how academics and others (at least Forbes and the WSJ) see it way differently. From a pure educational point of view, it made sense that the student picked Cornell over Yale for the purest of academic purposes. From a free market point of view, why shouldn't Cornell and Yale compete to attract the student? If tuition/room/board was the same at both and Yale offered $15K outright and $10K in loans, while Cornell offered $17K in scholarhips and $10K in loans, why shouldn't the student pick the better deal?

There may have been an unsaid fear among the colleges that every student would tend toward the better deal financially among comparable colleges, so if Cornell misculated $2K too generous in the case of student A, and Yale calculated $2.5K too generous in the case of B, then A would be at Cornell, B would be in New Haven, and together the schools would be out $4.5K they didn't want to spend. Did this case actually go to court or did the Ivies and MIT fold their tents and steal away?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:44PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
RichS Wrote:
You can call it "BS" all you want but you'd be wrong.[/Q]
What you said:
Posted by RichS on March 1, 2005
yeah, because cornell didn't win it...lol. Seems to have acquired a bit more meaning in more recent years. [/Q]
What I said (another thread):
Posted by RichH on February 27, 2005
The Regular Season "Championship" is not a Championship, and there's nothing anyone can do or say to convince me otherwise. It made me want to vomit when USCHO Colgate fans put "2004 ECAC CHAMPIONS" in 48 point font in their signatures. (but not as much as I actually vomited when Harvard won the real 2004 Championship) I think Colgate's team also skated the Cleary Pisspot around as if it were the AVCO Cup. Morons.[/Q]
So yeah, what you said was BS. Many (not all, I admit) Cornell fans agree with me that the Whitelaw is much more significant and important than the Cleary Urinal. Which is contrary to your statement that now that we're winning it, we all think it's more meaningful than when Clarkson was winning it. We're hypocritical when it comes to a lot of things, but this one, I'm supporting ugarte's "BS" call, regardless of how you want to paint us.[/q]popcorn

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.unregistered.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:49PM

I'm not an engineer. That's the mid 50% for engineering only, and I could've gotten in if I pushed it, trust me.

Date: March 02, 2005 04:51PM

I did realize that my example wasn't exactly what you asked about.

[q]Did this case actually go to court or did the Ivies and MIT fold their tents and steal away?[/q]I'm pretty sure it did actualy go to court and the schools lost. I don't remember how high it went.

Date: March 02, 2005 05:05PM

Who knew so many interesting tangents and sub-topics could be spawned from one .gif? :-)

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:
I like your point, though. It would also be interesting to see who is accepted IV (since all Ivy is derived from is your athetic league years ago -- four), [/q]

Cute urban legend, but wrong. The phrase "Ivy League" was coined in 1937 by a bitter sportswriter who got sent to cover a Penn-Columbia game.

See the last article on this page: [shop.store.yahoo.com]

[Q]The time was Thursday afternoon, October 14, 1937. The setting was the sports department of the New York Herald-Tribune. Assignments were being made for coverage of the leading college football games of the week. The late George Daley, sports editor, and Irving Marsh, assistant sports editor, were making up the list.

To Stanley Woodward, even then a veteran and brilliant football writer, went the Pittsburgh-Fordham game at the Polo Grounds in New York. This was the game New Yorkers wanted most to read about, which was reason enough for Woodward to cover. He was then and is now one of the ablest writers the gridiron has produced in his years; and his years as a sports writer go back to about 1920.

When the other staff men got their assignments, Caswell Adams drew the Columbia-Pennsylvania game at Columbia's Baker Field in New York.

Now, Mr. Adams, ...had no quarrel with either Columbia or Pennsylvania. Both, in his considered judgment, were and are splendid old institutions of higher learning. He was, however, able to restrain with relative ease his enthusiasm for football as played in that day by a number of teams representing the more venerable centers of higher education in the East. This was in the heydey of Fordham University as a major football power; and Mr. Adams is a Fordham man.

Briefly, Piquantly, without rancor, he expressed his views to the editor.

"Whyinell," he inquired, "do I have to watch the ivy grow every Saturday afternoon? How about letting me see some football away from the ivy-covered halls of learning for a change?"

He did not press the point. There was a Friday night boxing match coming up in Madison Square Garden, and he had an advance story to write. He forgot the matter.

But Stanley Woodward, at a nearby typewriter, did not forget. He had heard a new phrase. Ivy-covered? Ivy group? Ivy League?" These old schools of the East did not like leagues. They had long shunned the conference idea. Stanley like to ruffle them occasionally and chuckled when he did so. Why not call these colleges the "Ivy League"?

[snip]

So a few days later, though not on the Monday morning immediately following, there crept unobtrusively into a Woodward football essay the phrase "...and in the Ivy League..." as introduction to a discussion of what was happening on the fields of the East's oldest colleges which, even then and without a semblance of formal grouping, were natural and traditional rivals. Set down alphabetically, they were, of course, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale.

The phrase caught on. Other writers soon picked it up. Then football enthusiasts began to use it in conversation. Before long even some of the academicians began to adopt it. Few who used it knew, or even wondered, about its origin.[/Q]

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 05:07PM

not a bad idea for some cheers, for example 'you lose' and 'warm' up the bus'rolleyes

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 05:13PM

The only thing that is worse than seeing demographics that show 73% dudes is going to class with 73% dudes. :-(

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 05:17PM

Gotta say, I agree with Facetimer (gah!)... you thought Ithaca was lame, so you went to POTSDAM?!

As for "I would've gotten in," what makes you think you were so guaranteed? The overwhelming majority of applicants for Cornell had similar or better credentials. Did you have photos of Cornell's president sodomizing kittens or something? 'cause otherwise, you're blowing smoke. I can respect your decision not to apply, but "I would've gotten in" is pure bunk.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 05:19PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Richter547 (---.graham.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 05:26PM

To get back to the subject, (i dunno how this thread went from fan etiquete (sp?) to why we pick certain schools),I think the basic message CowbellGuy wanted to send out was that its pretty sad to see the state Clarkson is in with its fans. I used to go to a couple games in the '90s and at that time games would be sold-out well before doors opened. But I guess that's what you get after 3 years of sub-par regular season play, a firing of a coach, and a recent clubbing from SLU(t). Basically, I think I would give kudos to the Clarkson Pep Band in an attempt to at least get their fans to stand up and cheer along.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.epsy.uconn.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 05:42PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

I did realize that my example wasn't exactly what you asked about.

Did this case actually go to court or did the Ivies and MIT fold their tents and steal away?[/Q]
I'm pretty sure it did actualy go to court and the schools lost. I don't remember how high it went.[/q]

U.S. District Court.

Ivies bailed via a consent decree where they agreed to stop without admitting liability. MIT refused to settle and lost.

Curiously, the consent decree specifically excludes athletes from the ban. Whether or not the Ivies actually take advantage of this exception is a separate issue.

Posted by: ganderson (---.its.yale.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 08:36PM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

I disagree with one thing in particular...any top goalie who is focused and on his game, might "hear" the fans yelling BUT they block it out. Actually, most players do that. As a former goalie and current coach, I believe that heckling is overrated re: upsetting players, but if it gets the fans into the game, so be it. [/Q]
well we know that a certain dartmouth college goaltender whose name is quite similar to that of a waterboy turned devilsgame i mean football player was ALWAYS able to block out the cheers of section A

i laugh every time i think about that goal...[/q]

Every time I think about that goal I start to laugh... then I remember that several seconds later Dartmouth skated out of Lynah victorious. Again. yark

Posted by: JFK35 (---.unregistered.clarkson.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:11PM

Well I agree with the fellow Clarkson posts up here so far. I also think that our pepband has done everything in our power to try and make things better. But I need to make one point very well known. It's not a huge problem of spirit, it's a problem of numbers. Cornell has about twice as many if not more regular fans than we do, and it definetly shows. I would bet money that if Clarkson and cornell each had the same number of fans, and their regular pep band, we would be better. Disagree if you want to, but I think it's a pretty valid point.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:25PM

How about, I'm confident I could convince them in an interview. Anyway, that's completely beside the point and I didn't mean to turn this into a hypothetical discussion over whether or not I could have gotten into Cornell. I don't THINK Ithaca is lame -- I KNOW Ithaca is lame. I needed to go to school somewhere more than 20 minutes from my house or I would've gone crazy, that's probably the biggest reason for not even trying to go to Cornell. Why does it matter though? If you're happy at Cornell, fine. I'm happy at Clarkson. It's great up here as long as you avoid townies. If I hadn't worked at Wegmans in Ithaca for when all you Cornellians come back and seen it first hand, I might believe that Ithaca is better when you avoid townies. Instead, I know Ithaca is much better in the summer. I know that I'm stereotyping, and I'm sure this probably doesn't apply to you, but most of the Cornell students come through with credit cards their parents pay off and buy the dumbest things known to man, and are extremely rude to me and others while doing it, so whatever. Back to talking about hockey fans.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:27PM

That's cool, something I didn't know about the Ivies. I'm sure there's a lot more, but the league IV belief seems to be pretty common to those who haven't studied at one of the Ivy League schools.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:29PM

Personally, I love the development of this thread. The rivalry really shows through at some points, but it also shows that we CAN coexist and we don't (at least not all the time) hate each other.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:34PM

Ditto on the ithaca is better in the summer comment. I live in dryden. Ithaca has been miserable during the school year for along time. Traffic is worse... especially on the first snowy day. Seems pampered students from warmer climates have no clue how to go slow on icy roads. and nothing like putting groceries in a BMW that some spoiled student is driving on rich mommie and daddies dime when I am working for minimum wage driving a beat up ford.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:40PM

As someone who wanted to go to school outside of NYC even though I grew up there and absolutely love the place (my Dad wanted me to go to Columbia) I can completely understand why you would want to get the heck out of Dodge for college, even if Ithaca wasn't lame.

For the record, Cornell doesn't require an admissions interview so I'm not sure how much effect convincing them in the interview would have. An alum called me to schedule an interview my senior year in high school and I told the person that I didn't want to have one. Nine years later I finally left campus...

Date: March 02, 2005 09:45PM

[Q]JFK35 Wrote: Well I agree with the fellow Clarkson posts up here so far. I also think that our pepband has done everything in our power to try and make things better. But I need to make one point very well known. It's not a huge problem of spirit, it's a problem of numbers. Cornell has about twice as many if not more regular fans than we do, and it definetly shows. I would bet money that if Clarkson and cornell each had the same number of fans, and their regular pep band, we would be better. Disagree if you want to, but I think it's a pretty valid point. [/q]Cute username. Ahsk not what your team can do for you ...

Let's get this right: Cornell has twice as many, maybe more, fans than Clarkson. And Cornell has a better pep band. But if Clarkson had those extra fans (ignoring for a moment the last 836 of them would have to stand outside Cheel Arena and wait for someone to pass along the game scores), and if it had use of Cornell's pep band or something equivalent, Clarkson would be in better shape than Cornell.

Actually, there's another similarity, heading into round one of the ECAC playoffs: This weekend, both Cheel and Lynah are dark.

Then there's this difference: When caps land on the ice at Lynah, it's to honor Matt Moulson's three goals. This is called a hat trick. We don't get many of them, but we still seem to win. Up in Clarkson-land, when a hat lands on the ice, the players check inside the sweatband to see if there's bail money.

BTW, how many posts were there today on eCheel.com?

OK, we'll give you this one: The Clarkson goal cam is pretty neat. Cornell seems to actively discourage good pictures - sorry, good Cornell-official pictures - from circulating.

Date: March 02, 2005 09:48PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote: I know that I'm stereotyping, and I'm sure this probably doesn't apply to you, but most of the Cornell students come through with credit cards their parents pay off and buy the dumbest things known to man, and are extremely rude to me and others while doing it, so whatever.[/q]If we had contact, most eLynah fans would never be rude to you. But then, we pump our own.

Date: March 02, 2005 10:05PM

How many times does Cornell's band practice per week? For how long? How many cheers are started by the band at Lynah? Bottom line is, your band was weak for cheers without the Lynah Faithful. They apparently attempted a "Clarkson.... SUCKS" chant that I never heard, and although I will give them credit for being original and yelling "Disco Tech" - it was garbled and quiet. Clarkson's band starts nearly every cheer at Cheel and is the life of the student section. I wish we didn't have to be, even though it's fun doing it.

There's no eCheel.com -- but we do post on other message boards about the hockey team. Sadly (somewhat), they're not accessible to Cornell students. It's moderately sad because I can see how much conversation has been drummed up on this board by our posts. I can only imagine the same thing would happen if the board we use were accessible to you.

To fill Lynah completely with students (4,000 approx) would take maybe 1/3 of Cornell's enrollment. To fill Cheel completely (4,000 approx) would take all 3500 students including grad students, plus 500 more faculty and townies. He's saying if Clarkson were the same size school as Cornell, it's much more likely we'd have a bigger fan base. How can you argue with that?

When caps landed on Cheel ice, it was to honor a Latulippe hat trick earlier this season against Dartmouth.

Date: March 02, 2005 10:08PM

Which is why I said this probably doesn't apply to you -- and I meant you as in hockey fans. I never got into hockey until I got to Clarkson, and it seems that hockey fans are some of the most down-to-earth, polite, and sensible people when you get them away from the rink. Once they get near that ice though... watch out.

Date: March 02, 2005 10:21PM

...as is the belief at about forty-seven different colleges and universities of varying caliber that they were once "invited" to join the Ivy League and "declined."

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: March 02, 2005 10:30PM

You have been good sports about this even though it's humbling. But that is good practice for later in life if -- sorry, when (little slip of the keys) -- you find employment.

Date: March 02, 2005 10:37PM

-shrug- If you wanna turn this into a personal attack, go back a few posts. Down here we're talking hockey fans, not job placement rates. If you wanna talk about that go back to where we were having the other stupid hypothetical discussion over whether or not I would've gotten into Cornell had I applied. It'll just end up being another one of those if you wanna go there.

Did you not get accepted to Clarkson or something? Is that why you're bitter? Or do you hate most aspects of Cornell (not hockey) and are transferring that hate towards Clarkson?

Personally, I think Cornell is great... for me to poop on!
I kid... I kid...

Date: March 02, 2005 11:24PM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

-shrug- If you wanna turn this into a personal attack, go back a few posts. Down here we're talking hockey fans, not job placement rates. If you wanna talk about that go back to where we were having the other stupid hypothetical discussion over whether or not I would've gotten into Cornell had I applied. It'll just end up being another one of those if you wanna go there.

Did you not get accepted to Clarkson or something? Is that why you're bitter? Or do you hate most aspects of Cornell (not hockey) and are transferring that hate towards Clarkson?

Personally, I think Cornell is great... for me to poop on!
I kid... I kid...[/q]

eh....that's just bill. I really wouldn't get too offended by what he says. The more you respond, the more he'll write is all.

Actually a few of us here have a GREAT history with Clarkson people. Current students weren't around back then (and alumni slow to get into our online communities), but in the mid-90s there were some wonderful Clarkson-Cornell interactions. Several of us here used to frequent the original "Clarkson Hockey Roundtable," which was a running (1-thread) bulletin board. We met some really cool (and some interesting) people that way. Personally, I was in the Cornell band, and because a close friend of mine from high school was in the Clarkson band, I got to know many in the Clarkson band. There were some really legendary parties in Ithaca and Potsdam with both bands in attendance. Hooo...I could tell some stories. Basically, from staying up until 5 am talking hockey every NC roadtrip I learned that when it comes down to it, we're all the same fans. We just wear different colors.

And to relate to earlier comments about the size/quality of fans: In the early '90s, Clarkson was IT. Great teams, great fans, great band. They filled Cheel easily (except for the QF round of the playoffs when the students were forced to buy tickets...then they stayed home.) Meanwhile, Lynah wasn't full. It was still loud, but not full. The back-and-forth crowd chant-wars between the two schools were so incredibly entertaining. As were the online discussions. There are those of us here who are just waiting (and/or dreading) for Clarkson to get back to being a league powerhouse.

And since we're talking admissions...I had a tough time deciding between Cornell and Clarkson myself. (It was easy to dismiss RPI as an option, though).

Good to see some more Clarkson people post here. I hope you guys come back more often.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 11:56PM by RichH.

Date: March 02, 2005 11:43PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Actually a few of us here have a GREAT history with Clarkson people. Current students weren't around back then (and alumni slow to get into our online communities), but in the mid-90s there were some wonderful Clarkson-Cornell interactions. Several of us here used to frequent the original "Clarkson Hockey Roundtable," which was a running (1-thread) bulletin board. We met some really cool (and some interesting) people that way.[/q]

Also, the precursor to the current IRC Lynah Chat was a Java chat application Kyle Rose wrote as a companion the old Cornell Hockey Discussion Forum. That chat program had special color-coding hard-wired into it for not only the #cornell channel, but also the #clarkson channel.

Oh, and for that matter, the reason my username has "cornell" in it is that it's the same username I use at USCHO, which comes from a later incarnation of the Roundtable, which in turn comes from signing my posts "JTW, Cornell '91" on the original Roundtable. Good times.

Date: March 03, 2005 12:20AM

[Q]Personally, I was in the Cornell band, and because a close friend of mine from high school was in the Clarkson band, I got to know many in the Clarkson band. There were some really legendary parties in Ithaca and Potsdam with both bands in attendance. Hooo...I could tell some stories.[/Q]

I would love to see it come back -- rivalries are even more fun when you're friends after the game. Since we (Clarkson and Cornell) both seem to be hating as of late, 4 years ago Brown became the Clarkson band's yearly party buddies, probably due to the abundance and lack of girls in each respective school and some other circumstances. It's always a good time partying with them and I don't see any reason it would be different with any other band in the ECAC (except RPI's Grandmaster Chess band and the Harvard Philharmonic).

[Q](It was easy to dismiss RPI as an option, though). [/Q]

That it was, that it was. Troy is quite the shithole. Although one of my friends goes to Russell Sage and I would've had an in to the all-girls college...

Date: March 03, 2005 12:22AM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:

How many times does Cornell's band practice per week? For how long? How many cheers are started by the band at Lynah? Bottom line is, your band was weak for cheers without the Lynah Faithful. [/q]

Usually rehearsals are scheduled every 1-2 weeks, and attendance varies. IIRC, rehearsals usually ran about an hour. The Pep Band also plays at many other athletic contests throughout the year...soccer, lightweight football, lacrosse, basketball, volleyball...I think they even went to the "Head of the Charles" crew event one year. There are only a certain number of hockey tickets available each game for the band, so in order to get in to hockey games, a priority point system is used. The more events you show up for (including rehearsals), the more priority points you get --> the better chance you'll have to get into Lynah and go on roadtrips. (Hey, I never had to shell out for season tickets or deal with whatever mess the hockey line turned out to be)

As far as cheers go, the band members basically act like any other student fans. (Except they are strictly self-policed against any vulgarities...Athletics is sending them in some official capacity). There are a lot of songs they play that the fans have developed one way or another into cheers: Screw BU, Hey Bâby, William Tell Overture, Swanee...etc.

The fans basically have a give-and-take relationship with the band. When the fans are down, the band can pick them up...when the band is thin or weak, the fans can help them out too. On roadtrips, the band's location is often a central rallying place for Cornell fans. More often than not, they get complimented by opposing fans. The ultimate compliment was paid by the Clarkson band several years ago with an accusatory "mus-ic ma-jors!" chant. At the time, there were a total of two music majors in the band.

I didn't make it to Cheel, but I thought the Clarkson band sounded the best it has in a few years when they came to Lynah this year. It also helps that the Lynah staff didn't stick you in a postage stamp-size space of 2 rows right up against the glass like they have in the past.

Date: March 03, 2005 12:40AM

[Q]The ultimate compliment was paid by the Clarkson band several years ago with an accusatory "mus-ic ma-jors!" chant. At the time, there were a total of two music majors in the band.

I didn't make it to Cheel, but I thought the Clarkson band sounded the best it has in a few years when they came to Lynah this year. It also helps that the Lynah staff didn't stick you in a postage stamp-size space of 2 rows right up against the glass like they have in the past.[/Q]

We chanted that last year, after they decided to call us band camp rejects. I believe it was also followed up with an intentionally garbled "we're not sober" so as not to get kicked out by the most inhospitable arena staff I've ever seen. Seriously, they're the worst part about Lynah, not the fans. This year, however, was much better, although they still didn't give us the back row. That would just make things so much easier...

From what I gather, 2002-2003 were a weak 2 years for the Clarkson band. The last two years has seen a huge jump in popularity, bringing in about 10 kids from each the freshmen and sophomore classes this year. Those 20 kids are also all fairly hardcore bandies which makes me happy to think what my next two years will be like with the band.

Date: March 03, 2005 08:08AM

[Q]daredevilcu Wrote:Did you not get accepted to Clarkson or something? Is that why you're bitter? Or do you hate most aspects of Cornell (not hockey) and are transferring that hate towards Clarkson?[/q]To get rejected from Clarkson, Dr. F., one has to have decided to apply there. The Clarkson catalog sitting in what passed for our high school's guidance office, on the cover, had this picture, and you tell me if you think this image was Clarkson-typical: Sun shining, trees in full bloom, two women (good looking) in short sleeves and one guy (also good looking) talking amiably as they stroll across campus. Even at that tender age and not knowing the term yet, I wondered if I was seeing deceptive advertising.

Why should I hate Cornell? It gave me a degree in just four years and I continue to think of that as nothing short of amazing given the sum of my life skills is the inverted pyramid writing form. Of course, that was in the arts college, where writing what's on your mind got you a B+ much of the time. My fraternity brother engineers had to actually work for their grades. Which seems only right: capitalism is better than marxism but when you're an undergrad you can argue both sides of the coin especially if your TA's beliefs shade one way or the other; but the breaking point of reinforced concrete, give or take the margin-of-error fudge factors, that really only has one correct answer, and I want to make sure the multi-story garage I'm parking in was built by people who calculated correctly by engineers and architects since the rebar was laid and concrete poured no doubt by the lowest bidder.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:26AM

Ugh. As an engineer, I sincerely hope that the edifices of our government, health-care system, scientific research, arts, non-profits, et. al. are at least as well constructed as our parking garages...

:-D

Posted by: schoaff (---.atl.megapath.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:28AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

daredevilcu Wrote:Did you not get accepted to Clarkson or something? Is that why you're bitter? Or do you hate most aspects of Cornell (not hockey) and are transferring that hate towards Clarkson?[/Q]
To get rejected from Clarkson, Dr. F., one has to have decided to apply there. The Clarkson catalog sitting in what passed for our high school's guidance office, on the cover, had this picture, and you tell me if you think this image was Clarkson-typical: Sun shining, trees in full bloom, two women (good looking) in short sleeves and one guy (also good looking) talking amiably as they stroll across campus. Even at that tender age and not knowing the term yet, I wondered if I was seeing deceptive advertising. [/q]

I remember sitting around the Cornell Lunatic office in the late '80s and thumbing through the Cornell catalog when someone mentioned that there were more girls than guys in each of the pictures. So we actually started counting the people in every picture and keeping track. In something like 22 of the 24 pictures there were precisely 2 girls for every guy. Not 4:1 or 5:2 but exactly 2:1. It had to have been a directive to whomever put the publications together.

After that "Cornell: 2 girls to every guy!" became an inside joke.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login