Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 St. Lawrence 2 (OT) postgame thread (not scores updates)

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 3 St. Lawrence 2 (OT) postgame thread (not scores updates)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:42PM

Is this just luck was with Cornell tonight ... or the real mark of a championship caliber team to tie the game in the third, get a late goal in the third to win (oops, waved off), and then put one more in, in overtime.

From the webcast audio, it sounded as if McKee saved Cornell more than a few times.

Now if you went up for the game ... what do you do for the next 21 hours? How much after hours snowmobile-riding can one take?

(edit) And thank you, Dartmouth, for cutting Harvard down from its perch atop the Ivies after Brown failed so miserably Tuesday.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2005 09:43PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell 3 St. Lawrence 2 (OT) postgame thread (not scores updates)
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:44PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Now if you went up for the game ... what do you do for the next 21 hours? .[/q]

Pizza Hut?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:45PM

You go to Ottawa or sleep for a long time :-) That and drinking at the Best Western (?)

I dunno about other people, but I am very pleased at this game. We've been walking all over weaker teams, who didn't even seem to put up much of a fight at times. While it was good to see us win, often easily, sometimes it seemed like we sleepwalked through it.

Perhaps its against common sense, but i feel better about this team after tonight, showing we do indeed have the ability to dig down when we have to. Although I woulda prefered they did it in the late 2nd and not late 3rd ;-)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:48PM

Yahoo's got the score backwards. Dumbasses. :)

Kyle

Date: February 25, 2005 09:53PM

One of the guys who runs Yahoo's a Hobart grad. What do you expect?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:54PM

Or you go to Quebec for... um... well if you've ever seen their TV you know what I mean.

Gutsy win against a very tough team. This was not luck -- it is not lucky to have the game winner waved off.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:55PM

There are positives and negatives. Positive that they won despite not playing that well. Positive that they won ANOTHER close game. Positive that they won a playoff-style game. Negative that they didn't play very well. Negative that they arguably haven't been at their best since the Colgate weekend.
Cornell has definitely had far more dramatic wins in the regular season than in any regular season I can remember.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:59PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

There are positives and negatives. Positive that they won despite not playing that well. Positive that they won ANOTHER close game. Positive that they won a playoff-style game. Negative that they didn't play very well. Negative that they arguably haven't been at their best since the Colgate weekend.
Cornell has definitely had far more dramatic wins in the regular season than in any regular season I can remember. [/q]

yeah and the one game i have seen this season was the onion OT shorty. i was pleased :) great win 2nite, sometimes a team learns more from playing not so well -> turning it up and coming back to win even after a waved off goal. good experience. 'gate is trying their hardest not to make the NCAAs :) dc made a push 2nite by beating hahvahd. gonna be interesting
LGR!

Posted by: KenP (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 10:01PM

Personally this game emphasizes my concerns with the team. After beating a bunch of cupcakes the last two weeks, they had all they could handle when they faced a team that actually has an offense. Our boys are playing well, and are demonstrating a ton of heart to stick in there like they did tonight, but I don't know if that alone will be enough to propel them through the ECAC's or NCAA's. Examples? BC this year, UNH in '03 and '02.

I know I sound down on the team, but the fact I'm even discussing their chances of winning it all makes me happy. Besides...we won 2 ceramic dalmations tonight!!!

Date: February 25, 2005 10:01PM

I know some people were talking about a loss maybe being a good thing heading into the playoffs. Tonight will qualify as that "loss" in that the team didn't play well - definitely not well enough to beat any good teams - they all know it and it theoretically won't happen again. Therefore, they get the positives of losing while still getting the win and not getting hurt in the PWR.

Date: February 25, 2005 10:04PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

I know some people were talking about a loss maybe being a good thing heading into the playoffs. Tonight will qualify as that "loss" in that the team didn't play well - definitely not well enough to beat any good teams - they all know it and it theoretically won't happen again. Therefore, they get the positives of losing while still getting the win and not getting hurt in the PWR. [/q]
Agree. Hopefully this can fire them up as a quasi-loss - the same way the Union OT winner did to start this whole run.

Date: February 25, 2005 10:24PM

So maybe Cornell has been down, or not up-up-up for a month. If these things come in cycles, about two or three weeks from now would be a good time to be on up cycle. Realistically, the first round (for us, second for ECAC tourney) opponent shouldn't (not won't, just "shouldn't";) require superhuman effort to roll over. And what are the odds of Cornell pulling a three-game el foldo two years running at Lynah? We need to peak in three weeks in Albany and get higher each week thereafter.

Other nice thing about Cornell 2005: Compared to that wondrous 2003 team, it seems as if this team has a few more goal scorers, so if you're down by one with 10 minutes to go, you don't have this horrible sinking feeling that it just ain't gonna happy no matter how hard Bâby and company try. Or that had one miracle comeback for postseason and we spent that chit against Harvard so it wasn't available in the waning minutes againt UNH in the NCAA semis.

This is the first time McKee let in two even strength goals in how long? Quick calc says his GAA avg goes from 1.29 to 1.32. No. 2 is Dov at 1.55 going in and he'd played 24 not McKee's 28 games, so the two obviously savable shots he fanned on will hurt Dov's avg a bit more. Actually, no, because he's already closer to 2 GAA already. My quick math says he falls to about 1.57. Still better than he deserves.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.wdc2-4.15.103.5.wdc2.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 10:25PM

Good teams find ways to win ugly when they have to. A close one that challenges them will serve them well for what awaits them down the road. Some of their highly ranked colleagues in the CCHA and WCHA might lose games like this.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 10:27PM

standings look like we'll meet the winner of the clarkson-? game in the second ECAC round @ lynah. tomorrow's game is important and indicative of the coming week of play for us

Date: February 25, 2005 10:34PM

Didn't mean to be doctrinaire by putting the "(not scores updates)" subject-line-ending but if you come to the forum in the morning to see what everyone thought of the game, it really sucks to have to wade through all these messages, "DU leading Alaska-Fairbanks 1-0" "AF goes ahead 2-1 which should really change the RPI". Good to see there's a thread for other scores adjacent to this msg.

Date: February 25, 2005 10:47PM

Anybody who was at the game: How full? How many Cornell fans? About the only noise we heard on the radio was the word RED during the anthem, the siren (is St. Lawrence proud of that traditon?), and the Big Red Band.

Posted by: Matt (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 01:13AM

I'm from Clarkson, and I'm trying to find out if McKee isn't playing tomorrow to rest him up for the playoffs, seeing as though you already sealed up first place. I really hope he doesn't. That man is an animal and got my vote for the Hobey Baker. Does anybody know about this?

Posted by: Steve M (4.29.49.---)
Date: February 26, 2005 01:13AM

It's a night to celebrate. The Ivy League Championship and the Cleary Cup have both been won. Congratulations Red! Even if Cornell didn't play as well as they could, you have to love comebacks like this. Marsh thinks SLU played well, so if we can beat a decent team (SLU has some very good wins under their belt this year) coming from behind on the road when we're not at our best, I think it's great. Schafer said in an interview that the team is banged up and can really use the bye week, so I think we will see the best they have to offer in the ECACs and NCAAs.

Date: February 26, 2005 01:20AM

[Q]Matt Wrote:

I'm from Clarkson, and I'm trying to find out if McKee isn't playing tomorrow to rest him up for the playoffs, seeing as though you already sealed up first place. I really hope he doesn't. That man is an animal and got my vote for the Hobey Baker. Does anybody know about this?[/q]

Would be absolutely shocking if McKee didn't play.

Date: February 26, 2005 01:23AM

[Q]Matt Wrote:

I'm from Clarkson, and I'm trying to find out if McKee isn't playing tomorrow to rest him up for the playoffs, seeing as though you already sealed up first place. I really hope he doesn't. That man is an animal and got my vote for the Hobey Baker. Does anybody know about this?[/q]
Very very unlikely... sorry :-)

Date: February 26, 2005 01:23AM

I'm sure Schafer is gunning for a #1 seed in the NCAAs. If McKee is healthy, he'll almost certainly play. He will have next weekend to rest.

Posted by: Matt (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 01:26AM

Oh well. I guess we just have to hope for the best, then. Thanks.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:00AM

Man. This game reminded me of the game at Appleton in 1996. Last weekend of the regular season, needing a W to earn home-ice for the playoffs, Cornell was down 4-2 in the 3rd against the Saints. They got to within 4-3 late in the 3rd and inside the last 5 minutes, CU got goals from Matt Cooney and Captain Brad Chartrand to win. The leaders scored, and that's what the 2005 captain did tonight. Way to go, Mike Knoepfii!

Posted by: grb3 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:01AM

is the ecac title won in the regular season? or do you need to win the ecac tourny to be crowned ecac champs?

great win tonight..

Posted by: TCHL8842 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:18AM

grb3 if you are talking about the automatic bid then it is the the ECAC champ by the tourney, but we did clinch the ECAC regular season title this game, since coming in this weekend the magic number was 1 point. The cleary cup goes to the ECAC tourney champ, so to win any hardware we need to wiin the ECAC tourney, which I think is full in our reach since I am hoping our team turns it on like the last ten minutes of this game. We dominated the 3rd period against SLU but I felt in the first and second period the team played down to SLU and expected to win on talent alone. I think this team has to be team before talent to win any game. None the less, it was a good win tonight, and I expect tomorrows game to be not as close (4-1 Cornell).

Posted by: JordanCS (---.bunt.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:36AM

No, the Cleary Cup goes to the RS champion, but it doesn't mean anything. The ECAC champion is the Tourny champ, and that's it.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:42AM

[Q]JordanCS Wrote:
No, the Cleary Cup goes to the RS champion, but it doesn't mean anything. The ECAC champion is the Tourny champ, and that's it.[/q]

And the tournament champion gets the Whitelaw Trophy.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 02:57AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Anybody who was at the game: How full? How many Cornell fans? About the only noise we heard on the radio was the word RED during the anthem, the siren (is St. Lawrence proud of that traditon?), and the Big Red Band. [/q]

We had a decent, vocal contingent at the game, I believe. The visitor section was chock full of our guys. My friends and I ended up getting tickets right behind the end where McKenna played the first and third periods. I didn't do a good job of trying to throw him off his game, though, since everything I could come up with was sorta dirty, and there were many children around. Perhaps I'll save them for tomorrow night's game. :-D

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 03:03AM

not a good idea for cornell... they tend to play better down the longgest stretch, but fall off after breaks, eg: almost every year at the everblades. it would be good to get a little pt for chabot, but is totaly unlikely unless mckee is dead. he might sit out for the third if we are ahead by 4 goals or more.

Date: February 26, 2005 07:36AM

[Q]Will Wrote:
everything I could come up with was sorta dirty, and there were many children around.[/q]

The children of the North Country are precocious. ;-)

Posted by: Robb (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 07:36AM

Does anyone ever remember Schafer saving players? I can't. Even when he's used a goalie rotation, it's been a straight alternation, not trying to match the better goalie with the harder opponents.

Date: February 26, 2005 08:31AM

[Q]Will Wrote:I didn't do a good job of trying to throw him off his game, though, since everything I could come up with was sorta dirty, and there were many children around. Perhaps I'll save them for tomorrow night's game.[/q]They were children physically, or the simple folk who matriculate at SLU and appreciate sparkly objects?

Because the background roar slurs voices, when kids hear "sucks," they think they're hearing more than that.

Date: February 26, 2005 08:36AM

[Q]JordanCS Wrote:
No, the Cleary Cup goes to the RS champion, but it doesn't mean anything.
[/q]

It may be only a banner, but it's our banner:

By year: [www.tbrw.info]

By team: [www.tbrw.info]

Date: February 26, 2005 08:39AM

"Saving players?" If it's to rest them up for next week's big series, that's in two weeks. I think right now the team would like to be known as the one that won - correction, went unbeaten - its last 14 games of the regular season.

Question is, what if there's a (say) Ryan O'Byrne who's still marginal, does he get all his regular shifts? OTOH the coach never knows which shift it is on which he might aggrivate the injury. If Cornell were comfortably ahead (4-1 would be comfortable) maybe you'd give your fourth line and third defense pair more playing time.

And if McKee has a shutout going after two, does anyone think Chabot would get to play in the third?

Date: February 26, 2005 08:48AM

Clarkson's tied for 8th with Union in a game that could easily be the last home ice appearance for their seniors. They are going to want this game *a lot*. Mike won't be screwing around; he'll play his best team for 60 (or 65) minutes. He'll probably have to.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:06AM

[Q]Robb Wrote:

Does anyone ever remember Schafer saving players? I can't. Even when he's used a goalie rotation, it's been a straight alternation, not trying to match the better goalie with the harder opponents.[/q]

Actually, my recollection is that the better/hotter/more seasoned goalie did tend to get the tougher opponent.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:08AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Clarkson's tied for 8th with Union in a game that could easily be the last home ice appearance for their seniors. They are going to want this game *a lot*. Mike won't be screwing around; he'll play his best team for 60 (or 65) minutes. He'll probably have to.[/q]I agree. Plus, I think there are a lot of players still trying to purge the memory of last year's QF series.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:09AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Clarkson's tied for 8th with Union in a game that could easily be the last home ice appearance for their seniors. They are going to want this game *a lot*. Mike won't be screwing around; he'll play his best team for 60 (or 65) minutes. He'll probably have to.[/q]

Clarkson has the tiebreaker with Union, so they "control their own destiny" for the last home ice spot; Union plays Princeton, so Tech won't be expecting much help there.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:51AM

The latter.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 10:05AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Union plays Princeton, so Tech won't be expecting much help there.[/q]

Not a sure thing. Last night's final: PU 5 RPI 2

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 11:50AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Now if you went up for the game ... what do you do for the next 21 hours? .[/Q]
Pizza Hut?

[/q]
Clearly you go to the St. Lawrence Centre Mall and ice skate ($5!)

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 12:13PM

props to Knoepfli for doing all the things that a captain should do, but again, big props to Iggulden for the assist, a vital setup for the GWG.

Date: February 27, 2005 12:05AM

Tied Hahvahd and catching up to Clarkson. I love all those logos and bar graphs. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login