Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Another New Recruit

Posted by pfibiger 
Another New Recruit
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 06:08PM

Looks like we got another winger. Seems like we're going to have an awfully large number of forwards next year, no? We lose 3, gain 6, and we've already got a bunch of guys (McCutcheon, McLeod, McKeown..man, don't try to play hockey at Cornell if your last name starts with Mc) not playing regularly. Anyway, he's the leading scorer on the BCHL Quesnel Millionaires, 6'2", 192...

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

here's his profile:
[www.bchl.bc.ca]

an excerpt:
Ryan Kindret of Winnipeg, MB has accepted a scholarship to Cornell University for the 2005-06 season. Kindret leads the Millionaires in points with 29 goals and 31 assists with 6 games remaining in the regular season.

his line:
51-29-31-60-86

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2005 06:09PM by pfibiger.

Re: Another New Recruit
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 06:37PM

Even though he plays the other wing, I have to think that this has to have something to do with Connors having such a mediocre season.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 06:38PM

Jersey Number: 17
Position: LW
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 192
Hometown: Winnipeg, MB
Shoots: Left
Date of Birth: April 11, 1985 (19 years) <-- yikes...

His production has really picked up in the second half of the season.

Date: February 24, 2005 06:44PM

The more I think about it, I don't know that I think it has anything to do with Connors and his production..The class that'll be seniors next year has 5 core, starting forwards. I guess in order to not have a huge gaping hole in two years, you bring in more guys than you need next year, and then you have a much more seasoned/advanced group to fill in for Moulson/Hynes/Abbots/Pegs

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 06:44PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

April 11[/q]

Woo!

Date: February 24, 2005 06:48PM

They have 4 LW's coming in next year but Kennedy and Barlow play center as well I guess.

Date: February 24, 2005 06:51PM

I know that the St. Thomas Stars list Kennedy as a C.

Also of note, the Stars finished up their regular season, Mike Kennedy finished the regular season 32-15-19-34-28 and now leads the team with 5 goals in 4 playoff games.

other stat updates:

Matt Connors is 38-15-16-31

Evan Barlow is 49-35-34-69-60

Tyler Mugford is 51-18-23-41-112

Jared Seminoff is 44-6-16-22-64

Taylor Davenport is 46-7-11-18-72

Date: February 24, 2005 06:54PM

The really big question mark is Greening. Great size and great numbers coming out of a not so good league. Ranked pretty high for the draft considering - really tough to say.

Date: February 24, 2005 08:21PM

It surprises me a little that one or two of the forwards are not deferring until Fall '06 (although I suppose they always can). Are they going to get experience and adjust to the college game by riding the pine for a year? Would it not be as effective (perhaps moreso) to play an extra year in the BCHL or wherever?

Date: February 24, 2005 09:23PM

It wasn't until around March last year that Mugford deferred so I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or two of them deferred. I would say Greening and Davenport are possibilities because they are coming from not very strong leagues and Connors because he hasn't done that well this season.

Posted by: BigMike (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:02PM

Maybe its me being ignorant, but i thought Cornell, being part of the ivy league, could not give athletic scholarships..... just curious

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:03PM

[Q]BigMike Wrote:

Maybe its me being ignorant, but i thought Cornell, being part of the ivy league, could not give athletic scholarships..... just curious
[/q]

It's in the FAQ: [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:57AM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

....... Great size and great numbers coming out of a not so good league. Ranked pretty high for the draft considering - really tough to say. [/q]

This sounds like a quote from one of the 225 "Cornell is overrated" threads on USCHO...

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 10:20AM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:
and we've already got a bunch of guys (McCutcheon, McLeod, McKeown..man, don't try to play hockey at Cornell if your last name starts with Mc)[/q]

Poor David McKee :-/

(I know, I know, you were talking about forwards :-D )

Date: March 02, 2005 02:58PM

A small article about Ryan Kindret from the Quesnel newspaper:

[www.quesnelobserver.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:18PM

[Q]Cornell commits to Kindret [/Q]

That headline is a backwards way to say it...

Unless it's a Canadian way to communicate that he's been offered a "scholarship," or a way for the local paper to puff up the local kid.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 03:59PM

"Quesnel is located 660 kilometers (422 miles) north of Vancouver on Highway 97."

It's in the "Central Interior" of British Columbia, which sounds very, very rural. Ithaca's going to be an overwhelming metropolitan experience for the young man. ;-)

Good luck to him.

Posted by: ganderson (---.its.yale.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:02PM

Well written FAQ Hayes.

Re: Incoming Class
Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:05PM

the Red are losing 6 players: 2 D-men, 3 Fwds, and 1G ... and have 8 committed freshman (hopefully 9 with the addition of a goalie):2 D-men, 6 Fwds, 0 G.
some of these guys are definitely going defer a year. is it safe to say the 2-3 weakest forwards might get shipped to Clippers (possibly) for a season with coach Bestwick in the BCHL.

my order:
Tyler Mugford-LW 
Nanaimo (BCHL) 60-16-12-28-182 || 41-25-38-63-105 SMHL 1st Team All-Star
6'1 195 1-14-85

Ryan Kindret-LW 
Quesnel (BCHL) 58-18-21-39-104 || 42-23-26-49-64
6'1 200 4-11-85 

Evan Barlow-LC 
Salmon Arm (BCHL) || 56-22-29-51-129  2004 All-Rookie
5'9 170 11-8-85

Jared Seminoff-RD 
Nanaimo (BCHL) || 58-2-10-12-103 2003 All-Rookie Team
5'11 185 2-27-86
60-5-16-21-78 

Colin Greening-LW 
Upper Canada College
6'2 186 3-9-86

Mike Kennedy-LC 
St.Thomas (WOJHL) || 47-13-11-24-12
6'2 175 8-21-86
46-17-9-26-15

Matt Connors-RW
Apple Core (EJHL) || 70-78-51-129-80
6'1 185 11-15-86

Taylor Davenport-D
Drayton Valley (AJHL) || 45-3-5-8-64
5'10 175 4-15-85

From the numbers above, any guesses who those 2-3 (if any) might be? is there anyone who thinks all 8 will come next fall? thoughts ...?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 04:07PM

If all 8 come, somebody is going to the blueline. Hell, somebody might become a goalie. help

Date: March 02, 2005 04:43PM

Ben,

I think your ordering is kinda off :) Mugford has put up fine but unimpressive numbers for two years with the clippers. I seem him as sort of a Vateressian type player, he's certainly got the PIMs to justify the enforcer role. I wouldn't put him near the top of this incoming list of recruits. Just forwards, I think the ranking would be Connors, Greening, Barlow, Kindret, Kennedy, Mugford.

Does age play into deferring a year at all? I think we're most likely to see Mike Kennedy defer for a year. Despite a mediocre year, Connors and to a lesser degree Greening are very highly regarded, and are the other '86 forwards on the list.

I think Craig was the one who brought it up in discussion in irc last week during the game, but maybe we're seeing so many forwards in next year because Schafer knows he's going to lose at least one forward in addition to the seniors. Since there doesn't seem to be an NHL at this point, I don't think we're going to lose Hynes (which was talked about after '03), but maybe McKeown or McLeod is planning on leaving the team? And hey, maybe Greg's right, someone will end up moving to the blueline.

Date: March 02, 2005 05:08PM

Looking at impact offensive players of college hockey that have come from the BCHL and EJHL in particular, they are far above point-a-game players at those levels. I'm not sure how you did your rankings Ben, but Mugford is quite possibly the bottom of the list. Him, Kindret, and Kennedy will all be 3rd/4th liners if they crack the lineup at all. Kindret may be better than his numbers indicate because he plays on one of the lower teams in the league. I don't expect Mugford to crack the lineup at first and I agree with PFibiger that he'll ultimately be a Varteressian-type with his PIM's and his enforcerish type reputation. I think Kennedy could be an Iggulden-type. He isn't coming out of a very good league and doesn't have great numbers although decent, but he does have good size and central scouting is relatively high on him especially for the league he is coming out of. Barlow will be an offensive player on the top two lines. He has put up very good numbers this year and I expect him to contend for a spot on the top two lines as early as next year. Obviously his size is a detractor, but with guys like Vesce and Scott in major roles in recent years, I don't expect it to be much of a problem. Greening is tough to tell. He, like Kennedy, is also coming out of a so-so league, but he has good size and a good reputation offensively and thus has been rated pretty highly for the draft. I also expect him to also compete for a spot on the top two lines as early as next year. Connors has had a disappointing year but still has tremendous upside. He has good size and good speed and sounds like he will fit in well with Cornell. He may have a better shot at cracking the lineup next year because he is the only right winger of the six forwards. However, of the players I know in the EJHL and play against him on a regular basis, they have all spoken negatively of him as if he is overrated considering the players he is playing with. In my opinion, I think he would be best-served doing another year in the EJHL because he is still young and hasn't developed as quickly as perhaps some might have hoped. Anyways, depth is a great thing and the coaching staff will definitely have that with the forwards next year.
Seminoff I think will definitely be a regular next year with Davenport and Glover probably battling it out for the sixth spot. That is of course unless there is another blueliner on the way which I think there still may be.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 05:17PM by calgARI '07.

Date: March 02, 2005 05:59PM

i ordered them based on DOB and the likelihood they would/could defer. Mugford (already deferred once, that’s why he’s on top); Kindret (already has 2 seasons in the BCHL); and Davenport (is at the bottom b/c he’s old and he is having a poor season numbers wise) … are all ’85 and would all be coming in already 20 with Barlow turning 20 in November. thus the likelihood any would defer (again) is quite small. the others are listed lower based on age only. if it’s true that some of the current team aren’t returning then i could see more incoming forwards than we graduate. i agree and think depth is a great thing but shelving some talent (ie off to the Clippers) could be of greater help a year down the road than possibly having them ride the pine in Ithaca. just a thought.:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2005 06:01PM by ben03.

Date: March 02, 2005 06:01PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

i ordered them based on DOB and the likelihood they would/could defer. Mugford (already deferred once, that’s why he’s on top); Kindret (already has 2 seasons in the BCHL); and Davenport (is at the bottom b/c he’s old and he is having a poor season numbers wise) … are all ’85 and would all be coming in already 20 with Barlow turning 20 in November. thus the likelihood any would defer (again) is quite small. the others are listed lower based upon age only. if it’s true that some of the current team aren’t returning then i could see more incoming forwards than we graduate. i agree and think depth is a great thing but shelving some talent (ie off to the Clippers) could be of greater help a year down the road than possibly having them ride the pine in Ithaca. just a thought.[/q]

alrighty! i agree that one or two should go somewhere else and develop next year rather than the press box at Lynah.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2005 09:03PM

[Q]ganderson Wrote:

Well written FAQ Hayes. [/q]

Thank ya. I try...

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: March 02, 2005 11:05PM

just thinking out loud here, but could schafer be covering his behind in case some players leave early for what could become of the NHL, if they use replacement players that is?

i know it's a long way away, and i really hope that it doesn't come to that, but would college players be a likely source for replacement players

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:20AM

i doubt dan glover will fight for ice time next year. i think he has earned his way to a regular spot as a junior. he is one of the best fore- and back checkers on the team. he is huge and he is a draft pick, and beyond that, hes played that role of the replacement awesome dude off the bench where did that come from player for 2 years. next year, with the current seniors gone, he's right there third or second line.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:48AM

Glover plays defense. Defensemen don't tend to do much forechecking or backchecking, and they certainly don't play on lines. As far as him being a draft pick, I don't think that has much to do with who plays how much and where

Date: March 03, 2005 02:13AM

you forcheck in the offensive zone and a defensive pairing is the same as a line. picky picky rolleyes

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 03, 2005 04:28AM

Research on Ice, a free newsletter, reports that Justin Milo of Sioux Falls (USHL) has committed to Cornell for 2006.

Previously he played at Shattuck St. Mary's and for the Detroit Honeybaked Midget AAA team. He is 5'6" tall and weighs 176 lb. He lives in Eden Falls, MN and was born on 2/23/1987.

Free plug for ROI: write to puckkeg@comcast.net
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 12:38PM by ursaminor.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:53AM

I'm always amazed at how "old" these "kids" are. Is this common with other NCAA hockey teams? What about other sports? I believe football and squeakball teams generally have true freshmen.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 09:58AM

[Q]KenP Wrote:

I'm always amazed at how "old" these "kids" are. Is this common with other NCAA hockey teams? What about other sports? I believe football and squeakball teams generally have true freshmen.
[/q]
I think I remember my U of Florida fan friends bemoaning the fact that Florida State had a 30 year old quarterback.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:27AM

Ken,

It is really common. Brown has two kids who'll be over 21 before they step on campus. I guess it has to do with schools wanting kids to play at least a year of junior hockey after high school.

As for Justin Milo..the kid is tiny, but he is a catch. 3rd in the entire USHL in goals scored as a rookie, ahead of highly touted recruits for BC, Minnesota, etc like Brock Bradford, Blake Wheeler, etc..

Posted by: Redscore (66.251.42.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 10:29AM

Did he commit to Cornell or Colgate? The list of "futures" refers to Colgate's recruits.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2005 10:30AM by Redscore.

Date: March 03, 2005 10:31AM

He committed to Cornell. I figure the guy just screwed up with his cut/paste from Heisenberg's site. It'd be pretty weird if Mike Schafer told Topher Scott to show this kid around the Colgate campus :)

Date: March 03, 2005 11:06AM

Milo played last year for the unbelievable Shattuck St. Mary's program and also used to be play with Honey Baked - another program with an outstanding reputation. He's played with some very good players.

OT: Copyright
Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:18AM

Just because something is available for free doesn't mean that it's not copyrighted or that you can redistribute it without permission.

Not gonna report you, or anything, I'm just addressing what you said when you posted it. :-{)} It's not a safe assumption.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: OT: Copyright
Date: March 03, 2005 11:27AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Just because something is available for free doesn't mean that it's not copyrighted or that you can redistribute it without permission.

Not gonna report you, or anything, I'm just addressing what you said when you posted it. :-{)} It's not a safe assumption.

Beeeej[/q]
Feel free to remove the article or have Age do so.

Re: OT: Copyright
Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 11:36AM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:
Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej[/Q]
Feel free to remove the article or have Age do so.
[/q]

Guess you missed my point. I don't care what people post here, and I doubt Age does (at least up until the point where someone tries to hold him responsible for it as the owner). I just care when people think something about the law that isn't true. "It's free, so I can reproduce it anywhere and as much as I want" is close to my favorite, but generally runs a close second to "If someone tells me to shut up or deletes my posts they're infringing on my constitutional right to free speech."

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 03, 2005 11:52AM

Beeeej,

I've summarized the message. I've heard too much about Cary Sherman, a HS classmate, to want to get involved in anything like that. (Did anyone know Sherman in Cornell?)

Date: March 03, 2005 12:31PM

i cant find anything on this kid. can you post a link to stats etc?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:32PM

Considering that Dick Bertrand, captain of the 1970 team, was 29 years old in his final season these kids don't seem that old at all!

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 12:33PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

KenP Wrote:

[/Q]
I think I remember my U of Florida fan friends bemoaning the fact that Florida State had a 30 year old quarterback.[/q]Chris Wienke was an exception. He was a HS All-American QB who came back to football after playing minor-league baseball for eight or nine years.

Date: March 03, 2005 12:45PM

Sure,

Justin Milo's profile:
[www.sfstampede.com]

SF Stampede team stats:
[www.pointstreak.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (128.84.198.---)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:10PM

He really has outstanding goal totals for the USHL. And he still has one year left there.

Date: March 03, 2005 01:56PM

[Q]Redscore Wrote:

Did he commit to Cornell or Colgate? The list of "futures" refers to Colgate's recruits.

[/q] ROI has now sent out a modified version of the article including Cornell's recruits.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 02:51PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Milo played last year for the unbelievable Shattuck St. Mary's program and also used to be play with Honey Baked - another program with an outstanding reputation. He's played with some very good players.[/q]We don't get many players from Minnesota at all, let alone out of Shattuck. Those guys seemingly all go to UMinn or UND. (Although according to Heisenberg's website Colgate seems to have nabbed a couple.) Any connection Schafer might be able to get with the big magnet high schools in Minnesota could pay off in the long run.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.rover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2005 03:01PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

Sure,

Justin Milo's profile:

SF Stampede team stats:[/q]

Of all the hockey movies available to choose as your favorite, why Youngblood? help

The puck bunnies are going to vomit with joy when they see two "cute" short guys on the ice :-P

Date: March 04, 2005 01:38AM

[Q]Tub(a) Wrote:
Of all the hockey movies available to choose as your favorite, why Youngblood?[/q]
"I never watched a game in my lfe."

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 04, 2005 12:46PM

Bertrand didn't take the extended junior route, though. He was a policeman when Harkness recruited him.

Date: March 11, 2005 10:21AM

Resurrecting this thread cause I don't think my post requires another new one. Anyway, Research on Ice just sent out an article about the Drayton Valley Thunder's goaltender..and at the end, the coach commented on each of the players headed to play D-I hockey. Here's the bit about Taylor Davenport:

-------
D Taylor Davenport ('85, 5-10/175)
D-I: Cornell

Howell: "This was his second year with us, and he's really come into his own. He's understanding the speed of this level, and the defensive responsibilities that come with it. He was out two months with a concussion, but he's now getting back into the groove. He really plays with an edge, but is playing in a way where he's waiting for his opportunity to hit people, not just running around looking to hit somebody."

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2005 11:02AM

Two months with a concussion?? Yikes. Second part of the article sounds good though. Let's hope he can really stay at home in the system.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2005 03:56PM

I stumbled across this article this morning while looking for possible RPI recruits. It's about someone that Cornell, RPI, and Clarkson were after a year ago, however he took the major junior route. [www.insidetoronto.ca] [q]"Last year was a big decision around schools," said Giles. "I visited Clarkson, Cornell, RPI and put a lot of thought into it. [/q]

Posted by: striped1 (---.metrocast.net)
Date: March 12, 2005 04:58PM

Any connection Schafer might be able to get with the big magnet high schools in Minnesota could pay off in the long run.[/q]

Milo hasn't played high school hockey ever. AAA midgets and the USHL are far and away better than Minnesota or any high school hockey. They do not compare. The only thing high school about him is that he is a high school senior. He certainly isn't playing high school hockey.

That he has been in the top 5 in goals scored all year in the USHL is amazing. Look at some of the other players in that league, veterans who have college scholarships or even have been drafted who are way behind in the scoring. He is a total package. He has vision, hands, toughness and a high degree of hockey sense. This was a huge get for Cornell.

Date: March 14, 2005 11:48AM

In order to keep Beeeej pacified and me out of jail, I'll just report that www.ushr.com is reporting that Cornell has received a commitment from Tony Romano of the NY Bobcats (AJHL) for 2006.

Date: March 14, 2005 12:19PM

Looks like he's 4th in the league in scoring, 2nd in goals scored. He's 5'11", 165lbs. He's a right handed center.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:36PM

Tony Romano? I like it.

"Gimme the puck, or I'll break yer kneecaps." :-P

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.wireless.wm.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:41PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Tony Romano? I like it.

"Gimme the puck, or I'll break yer kneecaps." [/q]

Hmmm...what do you get when you cross Tony Montana with Ray Romano?

"Everybody loves my little friend!" ?

/I got nothin'

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:43PM

Just a quick correction, he plays in the EJHL not the AJHL just in case people couldn't figure out that New York isn't in Alberta.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 12:49PM

It is the AJHL (at least according to the Bobcats website) Atlantic Junior Hockey League
[nybobcats.com]

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:03PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

It is the AJHL (at least according to the Bobcats website) Atlantic Junior Hockey League
[/q]

Here's the link to his profile.
[nybobcats.com]

He sounds like a good prospect.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 01:54PM

[Q]ithacat Wrote:

Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

[/Q]
Here's the link to his profile.

He sounds like a good prospect.[/q]

College interests: Boston College, Boston University, Providence College

“He’s not such a physical player but he’s very quick and a very good scorer. In every game he can score one, two, three goals,”

Interesting!

Posted by: mjh89 (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2005 02:07PM

Correct. The AJHL isn't a great league (which isn't to say he isn't a great player), certainly not on the level of the USHL, or even the EJHL or the NAHL, so it will be interesting to see how he adjusts from that level of play to Div. 1.

Date: March 14, 2005 02:16PM

Yeah. Wow. I got it confused with another team in the EJHL but I'm very surprised to see that he comes from that league. As matt said, it isn't a very good league at all, considered lower than New England Prep School - a league that Schafer blatantly stays away from. Since he is an '06, I would be shocked if he weren't playing in the EJHL or USHL next year.

Date: March 14, 2005 02:21PM

Also, he is an '88 meaning he isn't even 17 yet so he should be growing more.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:11PM

Is it possible that the kid wants to come to Cornell for his own reasons, whether or not Schafer actively recruited him?

Date: March 14, 2005 03:13PM

Not with his SAT scores (they are in his profile).

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:35PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Not with his SAT scores (they are in his profile).[/q]

Those were his PSAT scores. His SAT scores could be much higher...I know mine were.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 03:46PM

And he has a 4.0 - I don't know anything about the school, but SATs aren't necessarily a great predictor of just about anything.

Date: March 14, 2005 04:55PM

grr, looks like we lost another goaltender to UMich. A month or so ago, Michigan got a commitment from Billy Sauer who plays for the Chicago Steel, Topher Scott's old team. Anyway, he's considered one of the top goaltending prospects, and Cornell was one of his final choices.

Now Michigan took another possible goaltender, for the year after next.

[journalstar.com]
---------
"I always thought it was possible, I guess, but it never became a real serious possibility until just recently," said Jakiel, who will be part of Michigan's 2006-07 recruiting class.

If you were born in Michigan and your daddy is a UM grad, there's not a better school in the world with which to attach your name.

The offer came somewhat surprisingly, arriving days after Jakiel had visited and been offered a scholarship at Cornell.

Date: March 14, 2005 05:02PM

guess we can add that to the list of reasons to dislike the wolverines

Wolverines
Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:17PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

guess we can add that to the list of reasons to dislike the wolverines[/q]

Wolverines are classified as part of the 'weasel' family.

I didn't know that until last night (trivia question at Dino's).

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:30PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
As matt said, it isn't a very good league at all, considered lower than New England Prep School - a league that Schafer blatantly stays away from.[/q]To be fair, I don't think Schafer stays away from New England prep schools because good players don't come out of them, I think he stays away because the return for his effort is low, not in terms of quality of players but in terms of the likelihood that that effort will result in a top-level New England prospect coming to Cornell instead of BU, BC, etc.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2005 05:36PM

Wonder how many Cornell players cross-shopped Colgate-Clarkson-RPI as opposed to Michigan, BC, BU?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:11PM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:

Tony Romano? I like it.

"Gimme the puck, or I'll break yer kneecaps." [/Q]
Hmmm...what do you get when you cross Tony Montana with Ray Romano?

"Everybody loves my little friend!" ?

/I got nothin'[/q]

LOL! :-D

Date: March 14, 2005 06:28PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
As matt said, it isn't a very good league at all, considered lower than New England Prep School - a league that Schafer blatantly stays away from.[/Q]
To be fair, I don't think Schafer stays away from New England prep schools because good players don't come out of them, I think he stays away because the return for his effort is low, not in terms of quality of players but in terms of the likelihood that that effort will result in a top-level New England prospect coming to Cornell instead of BU, BC, etc.[/q]

You'll have to take my word for it, but I remember an article not too long ago with Schafer saying he doesn't think Prep School kids are mature enough. That may have something to do with his feuds with David Hovey (Loomis-Chaffee) - an extremely talented player who was in and out of the lineup due to an assortment of off ice issues he had.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 06:43PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

jmh30 Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:
As matt said, it isn't a very good league at all, considered lower than New England Prep School - a league that Schafer blatantly stays away from.[/Q]
To be fair, I don't think Schafer stays away from New England prep schools because good players don't come out of them, I think he stays away because the return for his effort is low, not in terms of quality of players but in terms of the likelihood that that effort will result in a top-level New England prospect coming to Cornell instead of BU, BC, etc.[/Q]
You'll have to take my word for it, but I remember an article not too long ago with Schafer saying he doesn't think Prep School kids are mature enough. That may have something to do with his feuds with David Hovey (Loomis-Chaffee) - an extremely talented player who was in and out of the lineup due to an assortment of off ice issues he had.[/q]
Wasn't Higgins a preppie?

Date: March 14, 2005 06:52PM

Yeah, he went to Avon Old Farms, but I always felt like the rumors he was going to Cornell were more pipe dreams and smoke in mirrors than reality. Considering I was at five of Avon's games his last season and I never saw a Cornell coach there, I always had trouble believing they were really in the picture. Anyone have any links or articles saying he was possibly commiting to Cornell?

Date: March 14, 2005 07:02PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Yeah, he went to Avon Old Farms, but I always felt like the rumors he was going to Cornell were more pipe dreams and smoke in mirrors than reality. Considering I was at five of Avon's games his last season and I never saw a Cornell coach there, I always had trouble believing they were really in the picture. Anyone have any links or articles saying he was possibly commiting to Cornell?[/q]
Whether he ever had interest in Cornell is not the point. He was a preppie who could play.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: March 14, 2005 07:16PM

My recollection is that Cornell heavily recruited Chris Higgins, but he committed to Yale. In an interview broadcast on pregame show before the first Cornell-Yale game in 2001-02, Mike Schafer said that he made the 5½-hour drive from Ithaca to Higgins's home in Smithtown. During the home visit, Higgins said that he had decided to attend Yale. Schafer was annoyed that Higgins did not say so over the telephone and spare him the long drive. The untrue rumors of Higgins balking on a purported commitment to Cornell somehow arose after this interview.

Incidentally, class of 2010 recruit Tony Romano is also from Smithtown, NY. As am I.

Date: March 14, 2005 08:54PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

calgARI '07 Wrote:

Yeah, he went to Avon Old Farms, but I always felt like the rumors he was going to Cornell were more pipe dreams and smoke in mirrors than reality. Considering I was at five of Avon's games his last season and I never saw a Cornell coach there, I always had trouble believing they were really in the picture. Anyone have any links or articles saying he was possibly commiting to Cornell?[/Q]
Whether he ever had interest in Cornell is not the point. He was a preppie who could play.[/q]

I definitely think there are good players that come out of prep school, although far less now than a decade ago. Noah Welch (St. Sebs), Jamie Sifers (Taft), and Brandon Rodgers (Hotchkiss) are two other examples. I don't deny and never did deny that good players come out of there, but it is clearly a step down from the USHL, BCHL, etc. The forwards who come out of prep school are generally less physical and in turn less adaptive to Cornell's style of play.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:34PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

grr, looks like we lost another goaltender to UMich. A month or so ago, Michigan got a commitment from Billy Sauer who plays for the Chicago Steel, Topher Scott's old team. Anyway, he's considered one of the top goaltending prospects, and Cornell was one of his final choices.[/q]

That's too bad about Sauer. He's listed at 6'2" and just turned 17 in January, and he's from Rochester. I don't know if Cornell was ever a possibility for TJ Fox who was Chicago's leading scorer, but he's from Oswego and is going to Union.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2005 09:37PM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Wasn't Higgins a preppie?[/q]Yes, Avon Old Farms. Also Sam Paolini (Choate) Larry Pierce (Deerfield), and Ryan Moynihan (Cushing). Seem strange that one bad experience (Hovey) would outweigh those major contributions, but I could be wrong.

Date: March 14, 2005 09:54PM

Paolini was the last the prep school player to play at Cornell and it is well-documented that he wasn't exactly "recruited". Since the recruiting class of 1997 (graduating class of 2001), Paolini is the only prep school player to play for Cornell. That is in essence eight classes (including the incoming recruiting class) that have not had a prep school player (not including recruited walk-on Paolini). At my prep school, The Gunnery, the team would play in the two most prestigious Prep School Tournaments, the Avon Old Farms Tournament and the Cushing Tournament. In my three years attending, I saw every single ECAC and Hockey East team represented EXCEPT Cornell.

Date: March 15, 2005 08:59AM

The coaches only have so many recruiting hours in a season. Maybe the Harvard fans (pardon the oxymoron) are wondering why Donato and company don't spend more time in BC/Vancounver outhustling Cornell and less time on the prep circuit because "those players will come to Harvard anyway."

Going back a generation, Cornell was slow to turn from Ontario to the greatly improved Massachusetts / New England hockey scene and that cost us.

Date: March 15, 2005 09:23AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

The coaches only have so many recruiting hours in a season. Maybe the Harvard fans (pardon the oxymoron) are wondering why Donato and company don't spend more time in BC/Vancounver outhustling Cornell and less time on the prep circuit because "those players will come to Harvard anyway."

Going back a generation, Cornell was slow to turn from Ontario to the greatly improved Massachusetts / New England hockey scene and that cost us. [/q]
I think your first sentence nails it, Bill. If your odds of success are low, you invest your time elsewhere.

With much urging I finally got Bertrand to take a look at Boston-area kids after BU had taken ECAC primacy away from us in the early-and mid-70s playing a lot of home-grown talent. He was impressed, and did take an interest, but, IIRC, the only guy he was able to attract was Steve Hennessy, a good D-man from Thayer Academy who was tri-captain of the 1980 ECAC championship team.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: March 15, 2005 09:51AM

<Personal Opinion ON>
I agree that coach's efforts 'seem' to be directed to Major junior players and the longer and some say 'harder' season when compared to preps. Given Cornell's success and Schafer's over recent history I would not criticize or question this.

I do believe there are exceptions! Example - near the end of Jamie Sifers HS junior season at Taft, I sent coach an e-mail that said take good look at this kid - he has the intangibles of leadership and spirit and will to win that make for a great team player. So far his career at Vt has shown this seems to be true.

I have no idea if Jamie would have even considered Cornell but I believe in passing on, information that I have. Particularly first (or a close second) hand info should be sent to the coaching staff and let them make decisions as appropriate.

If we "Lynah Faithful" see over a period of time (more than just one or two games, in one season) an exceptional student/athlete then maybe we can send in some information and contact info to the coaching staff - How they use our input is up to them and in no way should we come back at them for 'ignoring' or not acting strongly on our input - that is not our business.
<Personal Opinion OFF>

Date: March 15, 2005 10:05AM

So if Cornell hasn't plumbed the depths of prep hockey in New England, we're doing pretty well out of the Illinois area. And every other coach in the country must be kicking himself for not thinking about Texas. Have to keep an eye on California, too.

Date: March 15, 2005 10:09AM

I just read the USHR bit on Tony Romano, and I'll excerpt the best parts:

"Romano was the fourth leading scorer in the AJHL with a 34-29-63 line in 34 regular season games."

"Romano is not a physical player, but he is very quick and has a great stick. Sometimes he’s invisible on the ice; other times, he looks like one of the next great college stars."

"Other schools reported to be in the picture included Providence and Boston College."

Date: March 21, 2005 06:33PM

I had emailed a guy who maintains scoring info for the CISAA (canadian school hockey) hockey league, looking for Colin Greening's stats. These don't count all the non-conf games/tourneys they play in, but it can at least be compared against the rest of his team and the conference:

17	Colin Greening	F	2005	15	13	12	25	8

he leads his team in both points and goals. he's 4th in the league in scoring, but the guy who sent it to me said that the stats are missing 2 UCC games.

As long as i'm reporting stats, here are some final regular season stats for incoming recruits (DiLeo and Milo are still playing in the RS):

Matt Connors 43-17-18-35-18
Evan Barlow 53-36-39-75-62 (playoffs: 7-4-5-9)
Tyler Mugford 55-20-24-44-120(playoffs: 6-3-2-5)
Ryan Kindret 57-31-34-65-95
Colin Greening 15-13-12-25-8
Mike Kennedy 32-15-19-34-28 (playoffs: 14-10-5-15)
Jared Seminoff 48-6-18-24-66(playoffs: 6-0-2-2)
Taylor Davenport 49-7-11-18-86 (playoffs: 7-1-1-2)
Dan DiLeo G:35 W:22 L:7 OTL:6 GAA: 2.94 SV%: .913

Justin Milo 54-27-17-44
Tony Romano 34-34-29-63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login