Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Finals: game times

Posted by A-19 
ECAC Finals: game times
Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:02PM

without definitely saying we'll be in the ECAC games in albany (after least year, don't remind me), I looked on the pepsi arena webpage and saw the game times listed as:

Session 1: Fri. March 18th @ 4:30pm & 7:30pm
Session 2: Sat. March 19th @ 5:00pm & 8:00pm

how do the game times correspond to seeding? i remember we played brown (1 v 4) in the early game on friday in '03, and the championship game was the later slot on saturday.

apparently i have an exam on 3/18, and there's no way i would make the 4:30 game in albany on time. if cornell takes 1 point this weekend, we lock up #1, and if we advance to albany, we would retain the #1 seed. so clearly the game time would be relevant. anyone know?

i don't know why the ecac has the tourney starting on a friday if it expects to get any fans. even the NCAAs are a fri/sat event.

-mike

Re: ECAC Finals: game times
Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:14PM

[Q]A-19 Wrote:

without definitely saying we'll be in the ECAC games in albany (after least year, don't remind me), I looked on the pepsi arena webpage and saw the game times listed as:

Session 1: Fri. March 18th @ 4:30pm & 7:30pm
Session 2: Sat. March 19th @ 5:00pm & 8:00pm

how do the game times correspond to seeding? i remember we played brown (1 v 4) in the early game on friday in '03, and the championship game was the later slot on saturday.

apparently i have an exam on 3/18, and there's no way i would make the 4:30 game in albany on time. if cornell takes 1 point this weekend, we lock up #1, and if we advance to albany, we would retain the #1 seed. so clearly the game time would be relevant. anyone know?

i don't know why the ecac has the tourney starting on a friday if it expects to get any fans. even the NCAAs are a fri/sat event.

-mike[/q]
Sue Detzer informed me today that if Cornell makes it to Albany with the #1 seed, they will opt for the 4:30 game on Friday.

Date: February 23, 2005 08:29PM

well you can just tell sue detzer that she can opt differently (or i will opt to lying to my finance professor). so there.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:14PM

There may not even be a team choice, as the ECACHL website seems to have already denoted which game is for which seed:

[www.ecachockeyleague.com]

[Q]Session 1 - Friday, March 18
No. 4 seed vs. No 1 seed - 4:30 p.m.
No. 3 seed vs. No. 2 seed - 7:30 p.m.

Session 2 - Saturday, March 19
Third-Place Game - 5 p.m.
Championship Game - 8 p.m.[/Q]

Also, the NCAA Frozen Four is a Thursday - Saturday affair.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 09:42PM

I read somewhere (INCH, perhaps?) that there was a chance CSTV would pick up the semis on Friday and the league would bow to the time demands of TV in the name of getting them on TV. It may not alter the times much, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:57PM

[Q]Chris '03 Wrote:

I read somewhere (INCH, perhaps?) that there was a chance CSTV would pick up the semis on Friday and the league would bow to the time demands of TV in the name of getting them on TV. It may not alter the times much, but it's worth keeping an eye on. [/q]

CSTV's website shows coverage of the second ECAC semifinal and the ECAC championship game. So if we have a choice, I hope Schafer picks the later game.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:30AM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:
CSTV's website shows coverage of the second ECAC semifinal and the ECAC championship game. So if we have a choice, I hope Schafer picks the later game.[/q]
TV aside, as the #1 seed, Schafer would be stupid to pick the second game. Why give up on 3 extra more hours of rest before the < crosses fingers > final? Besides, a non TV time-out game would give us a better shot at wearing down the opposition.

It may be nice for you, but if Schafer picks the later game, he's making a poor coaching decision.

If you do want to do anything about it though, send feedback to CSTV. The cameras, technology, and men will already be in Albany on Friday, so they *should* be willing to broadcast it if they hear from us.

Mike, lie to your prof. Tell him/her you have family plans for break and you need to get home on Friday. Take the final a day early. Problem solved.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:45AM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

TV aside, as the #1 seed, Schafer would be stupid to pick the second game. Why give up on 3 extra more hours of rest before the < crosses fingers > final? Besides, a non TV time-out game would give us a better shot at wearing down the opposition.

It may be nice for you, but if Schafer picks the later game, he's making a poor coaching decision.

[/q]

On the other hand, playing at 7:30 one night and at 8 the next night (knock on wood) is the most similar arrangement to the regular season set-up. So the players would have their routines down.

Re: ECAC Finals: game times (TV Friday? 1 or 2 games?)
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:17AM

From Inside College Hockey [www.insidecollegehockey.com]

>>> CSTV has already committed to broadcast the ECACHL championship game on March 19. There has been some active discussion between ECACHL Interim Commissioner Steve Hagwell and CSTV about showing the semifinals, and it appears those discussions have paid off. A check of CSTV’s programming schedule for March 18 shows that they’ll have a live broadcast of the second semifinal. [cstv.collegesports.com] More exposure can only help the league, and it appears that the afternoon programming for CSTV on March 18 could be freed up to also show the early semifinal. Hagwell did say that the league would consider changing the starting times for the games to accommodate television.

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 02:18AM

There's a lot more to it than that ... can't say more for the moment ... but I think you'll probably see a good resolution. Might not have both semis on CSTV though. Stay tuned.

Date: February 24, 2005 02:32AM

harvard's break is a week later, so that particular lie won't work well

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 24, 2005 03:21AM

Speaking as someone who could watch the semi game but will be in-flight at the time of the final, TAKE THE LATER GAME! (Unless something happens to allow both, but a Cornell game on TV the day finals end would rock.)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:02PM

Two years ago Schafer specifically requested the early game, because of the extra rest issue. If he's given a choice, I can't imagine he'd do differently this year.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:16PM

ESPN-U starts broadcasting 3/4/05. We should be emailing them about picking up the first semi-final telecast and college hockey in general.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:17PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

ESPN-U starts broadcasting 3/4/05. We should be emailing them about picking up the first semi-final telecast and college hockey in general.[/q]
I think they'll be a little bit busy in March with squeekball

Date: February 24, 2005 01:20PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

jkahn Wrote:

ESPN-U starts broadcasting 3/4/05. We should be emailing them about picking up the first semi-final telecast and college hockey in general.[/Q]
I think they'll be a little bit busy in March with squeekball[/q]

It can't hurt to let them know there are college hockey fans out there.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 03:40PM

Uhhh, do the vendors at the Pepsi Arena sell beer at the ECAC finals?:-P

Date: February 24, 2005 03:45PM

[Q]adamw Wrote: There's a lot more to it than that ... can't say more for the moment ... but I think you'll probably see a good resolution. Might not have both semis on CSTV though. Stay tuned.[/q]

You saw it here first: ECAC semis in high-def.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:28PM

[Q]I think they'll be a little bit busy in March with squeekball[/Q]

I think CBS has exclusive rights to all the games, at least they have in years past.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:45PM

ESPN likely has the rights to the NIT, which they would probably show just to jump on the March squeakball bandwagon. (It's been a loooong time since the NIT meant anything, let alone meaning more than the NCAAs.)

Date: February 24, 2005 06:22PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

ESPN likely has the rights to the NIT, which they would probably show just to jump on the March squeakball bandwagon. (It's been a loooong time since the NIT meant anything, let alone meaning more than the NCAAs.)[/q]

But the first ECAC semi is at 4:30 pm, and with ESPN and ESPN2, you'd think there'd be room for hockey on ESPNU. Of course, they could do a game from one of the other conferences instead.

Posted by: chris '06 (---.housing.hawaii.edu)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:12PM

not sure where i read this but i heard that ESPNU will be airing some of the NCAA regionals and ESPN will take over for the Frozen Four as usual

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:02AM

[Q]A-19 wrote:
apparently i have an exam on 3/18, and there's no way i would make the 4:30 game in albany on time.[/q]
[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
Mike, lie to your prof. Tell him/her you have family plans for break and you need to get home on Friday. Take the final a day early. Problem solved.[/q]
Here's how I handled this situation in March '69. I had a Tues.-Thurs.-Sat. 10:10am math class. Back then, the ECAC quarter-finals were the Tuesday right before the weekend Fri.-Sat. tourney in Boston. The Saturday night before was the last regular season game of the year. I get to the game early as always, and I'm informed by a friend sitting two rows in front of me that the professor that day had announced a prelim for ECAC Saturday (I hadn't gone to class that day). I go see the professor during the week and explain that I need to take a make-up because I'm going to Boston for the ECAC hockey tournament. He says that's not a good reason and I try my best to explain my passion and commitment to Cornell hockey. He explains that it's not a good enough reason and I say something like "I'm sorry you feel that way" and start to walk out. He says, "You've got to decide what's more important" and I turn and say "I have, I'm going to Boston." He says, in a tone of exasperation, "All right, I'll give you a make-up."
Sometimes, telling the truth works. Of course, I was crazy enough that I would have gone to Boston and risked flunking the course. Also, I knew that the manager of the hockey team was in my class and would somehow wind up getting a make-up (it turned out that Ned called on his behalf). When I got to the make-up, which was the Thursday after the ECACs, there were four of us (don't know the excuses of the other two-don't thnk they were hockey related). The make-up was very interesting, as he gave an oral exam, starting with one of us doing proofs on the blackboard, then having the second continue, back to the first who was then dismissed, then he called up the third (me), back to the second, etc. - he could really see how we could think, and when someone got stuck he could then ask a prompting question to see how quickly you picked it up.

Good luck A-19, and I hereby disclaim any claim that this strategy will work in 2005.

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 10:39AM

Yeah, but they'd probably be busy showing spelling bees or dog shows or reality shows or over-publicized poker shows on the ESPN and the deuce. I can't imagine how they'd make time for actual sports. Maybe the NIT even gets bumped to ESPNU to get the network some early exposure.

ESPN-U
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:11PM

Anyone know if ESPN-U will be carried on DirecTV?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: ESPN-U
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:06PM

Yep, but that's about it. Most other cable and sat providers are sitting on their ass. Yay for DTV though. :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:10PM

[www.mustudentnews.com]

[Q]Hall also has a passion for college sports, making him a natural for ESPNU. The network already has solidified a home on DirecTV, and ESPN is in active discussions with cable and satellite distributors. The launch date is March 4, a.k.a. 03/04/05.[/Q]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 25, 2005 02:02PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Yep, but that's about it. Most other cable and sat providers are sitting on their ass. Yay for DTV though.[/q]

Kinda like CSTV a year ago.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 25, 2005 06:50PM

Won't be long before everyone carries anything that starts with ESPN-xxx. You can't go wrong selling sports or sex. Er, you ca't go broke ...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:56PM

It all turns on what the "S" in ESPN stands for.

Hint: not "sophisticated." ;-)

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:05PM

I'm just hoping that ESPN-U someday doesn't swallow up/buy out CSTV. They did it to the old Classic Sports Network. ESPN News pretty much forced the CNNSI network off the air. And Fox Sports Network has been reduced to nothing more than a banner for small regional networks and a crappy show hosted by Tom Arnold. ESPN is probably closer to a monopoly than Microsoft is now.

ESPN used to be good when they focused on providing coverage of sports. Now there's so much self-promotion of the ESPN brand, it makes me want to vomit. Self-promotion, and productions of dramas and movies, not to mention reality shows. Yet they control the majority of cable-based sports. The only shows I watch on that empire anymore are PTI and "Baseball Tonight"

Date: February 25, 2005 07:08PM

CSTV getting bought out would only suck for the couple million people who watch it. It would be nice for the dozen or so folks funding it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login