Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

#1 in the INCH Power Rankings (yeah right)

Posted by DeltaOne81 
#1 in the INCH Power Rankings (yeah right)
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:38AM

[insidecollegehockey.com]

A big thanks to the INCH guys, even if they're crazy.

Re: #1 in the INCH Power Rankings (yeah right)
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:53AM

wow. pretty surprising considering they tout Dartmouth as the best team in the ECACHL.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:01AM

What can you do when they lose to Princeton twice? Hehe. Anyway, here's to hoping they get their stuff back together in time to help us out with the Ivies.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 03:09AM

Nice to see a little more respect. Nevertheless, #1 is undeserved right now.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:01AM

I still dream about the Ivies granting 5 extra games and an improved OOC schedule.

What do you think #3 in the polls?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:41AM

That'd be my guess.

Theoretically, Cornell could just go ahead and schedule 5 more games. I believe it's a voluntary limit, and somehow I don't think the Ivy League is going to kick us out for it. ;-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:55AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

That'd be my guess.

Theoretically, Cornell could just go ahead and schedule 5 more games. I believe it's a voluntary limit, and somehow I don't think the Ivy League is going to kick us out for it. [/q]
We could always consider going to Alaska for one of their early season tournaments. Those don't count against the NCAA's limit, but I guess I don't know if they would count against the Ivy ones.

Might be a cool way to start off the season too, although that could be one of the few places that there wouldn't be a large Cornell contingent uhoh

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:00PM

I don't think the Ivy League recognizes any of the usual exemptions.

Posted by: AKMer '08 (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:46PM

If that happened I just might die of happiness, being from Anchorage. Of course, if they went up there any time within the next few years I'd be at Cornell at the time, but after that... It would be so great to see Cornell play in my hometown. :-D

(Yes, yes, admittedly Cornell fans might be few and far between... but I know at least a couple others... and Alaska's a great place to visit...)

Unfortunately this is probably all irrelevant as I am pretty sure that Alaska games would still count towards the Ivy limit. :`( Maybe for an exhibition game...?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:35PM

I don't think there has been any comment on Hockey East's decision to play a 27 game schedule next year. Fewer OOC games to go around.

Posted by: Harrier (209.150.239.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:43PM

GOOD! About time that the Big Red get some respect from the clowns at INCH that picked them to finish in 5th Place in the ECAC this year!!!

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:45PM

[Q]nyc94 Wrote:

I don't think there has been any comment on Hockey East's decision to play a 27 game schedule next year. Fewer OOC games to go around.[/q]

True, but with HEA increasing to 10 teams next year, it makes sense in order to keep a balanced schedule. Had they dropped the number of league games to 18, that's 16 OOC games each team would be trying to fill (not counting exempt tournaments). That's quite a lot. Seven OOC games per season per team is still pretty reasonable...on the same scale that the Ivies currently play.

Alaska Roadtrip? Hell, yeah!
Date: February 21, 2005 01:55PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

We could always consider going to Alaska for one of their early season tournaments. Those don't count against the NCAA's limit, but I guess I don't know if they would count against the Ivy ones.

Might be a cool way to start off the season too, although that could be one of the few places that there wouldn't be a large Cornell contingent [/q]

Hogwash!! I know I've been waiting for the Alaska roadtrip to get dropped onto our schedule. That would be the ultimate litmus test to see how far some of us would go to watch our team...just to prove that we would. I'd consider driving, VIA Rail, flying, hitching with the RCMP, or dogsled to get there, and I'd be twisting every Faithful arm I knew to join me. The ushers in Kalamazoo a few years ago were in awe at how far some of us drove just for those hockey games.

[Q]Cornell would probably have a large cadre of supporters if the game was held in Vladivostok.

— Mike Volonnino[/Q]

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:00PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
True, but with HEA increasing to 10 teams next year, it makes sense in order to keep a balanced schedule. Had they dropped the number of league games to 18, that's 16 OOC games each team would be trying to fill (not counting exempt tournaments). That's quite a lot. Seven OOC games per season per team is still pretty reasonable...on the same scale that the Ivies currently play.[/q]

I think the choice was between a 27 game balanced schedule and a 24 game unbalanced schedule. My question is whether this insulates the Hockey East teams in the PWR like the WCHA schedule does.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 03:05PM

Always a fun sight to see, nomatter how meaningful. [sports.espn.go.com]

Re: Alaska Roadtrip? Hell, yeah!
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 21, 2005 06:06PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Might be a cool way to start off the season too, although that could be one of the few places that there wouldn't be a large Cornell contingent [/Q]
Hogwash!! I know I've been waiting for the Alaska roadtrip to get dropped onto our schedule. That would be the ultimate litmus test to see how far some of us would go to watch our team...just to prove that we would. I'd consider driving, VIA Rail, flying, hitching with the RCMP, or dogsled to get there, and I'd be twisting every Faithful arm I knew to join me. The ushers in Kalamazoo a few years ago were in awe at how far some of us drove just for those hockey games.

Cornell would probably have a large cadre of supporters if the game was held in Vladivostok.

— Mike Volonnino[/Q]
[/q]

I'd be keen to go see us play in Anchorage. My uncle and his family live there, and I've always wanted to visit.

On the way back from this weekend's games, I managed to run into the ex-girlfriend of a recent Cornell hockey player, who was amazed to learn that there really were people who flew halfway across the country to watch the Big Red.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 06:23PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
True, but with HEA increasing to 10 teams next year, it makes sense in order to keep a balanced schedule. [/q]It's not a completely balanced schedule; 3 games against each team means that the home-road balance is off. (It's equally balanced/unbalanced to what they play now, though.)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 06:24PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
Hogwash!! I know I've been waiting for the Alaska roadtrip to get dropped onto our schedule. That would be the ultimate litmus test to see how far some of us would go to watch our team...just to prove that we would. I'd consider driving, VIA Rail, flying, hitching with the RCMP, or dogsled to get there, and I'd be twisting every Faithful arm I knew to join me. The ushers in Kalamazoo a few years ago were in awe at how far some of us drove just for those hockey games.[/q]I'm so there. :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 21, 2005 06:29PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

It's not a completely balanced schedule; 3 games against each team means that the home-road balance is off. (It's equally balanced/unbalanced to what they play now, though.)

[/q]

Actually, it's slightly less balanced because each team will play an odd number of opponents and odd number of times and end up with 14 home and 13 away or vice versa, instead of 12 of each.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 21, 2005 07:41PM

How much does a plane ticket to Alaska cost usually?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 07:52PM

I'll drive; we'll only need to fill up 6 times. rolleyes

You did say roadtrip, right?

Date: February 21, 2005 08:02PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

You did say roadtrip, right?[/q]

Yes, but only in the generic sense. If you read what was written, you may have put the rolleyes back in your pocket. One of the things I've always wanted to is take VIA Rail cross-Canada.
[Q]I'd consider driving, VIA Rail, flying, hitching with the RCMP, or dogsled to get there[/Q]

Posted by: AKMer '08 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:14PM

If you get them at the right time, about $400 Syracuse to Anchorage. If you get them at the wrong time, more like $600. Although now that Northwest is going to start flying into Ithaca, maybe we can get cheaper flights...

Also, there are usually off-season promotions, and October would definitely be off-season.

Posted by: mike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:02PM

All of you guys dont seem like you think this is meaningfull to be #1 in the nation. In my opionion it is. Not just because im a cornell fan but because the numbers prove it. How often do you see a team with the best defence in the league have the best powerplay in the nation also. Cornell has got a good combination here. They got an all american in dave mkee. They got one of the best goal scorers in the nation in matt moulson. And they have a defence that is outstanding. I think they will suprise many teams in the ncaa tournament and go far. Cornell is very deserving of this rank. You know what they say, Defence wins championships.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:10PM

It's not that we don't think it's meaningful to be #1 in the nation. We just don't think much of INCH, or of being #1 in a "power ranking" that basically amounts to nothing more than "Whatever the gang at INCH decided over breakfast."

Our #2 and #3 spots in the USCHO and USA Today polls respectively may be shocking as well given that our current unbeaten streak has been on the backs of an awful lot of relative patsies... but at least they're the aggregate results of dozens of knowledgeable voters making considered choices.

We know we've got a great team. We also know we haven't had to play many other teams near the top of the polls this year, and come tournament time, the polls mean absolutely zilch.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 11:15PM

How is our PP against top fifteen teams as opposed to the halt and the lame of the ECACHL?

The stats were, I believe:
Vs BC, 1 for 12 Cornell on power play
Vs Maine, 3 for 4
Vs Harvard, 1 for 6 and 0 for 3
Vs Colgate, 0 for 3 and 2 for 3
Vs. Dartmouth (team flirting with top 15), 0 for 4 and 2 for 7

Sure, it is nice to see us ranked up there in the polls. It would be nicer to see one of the four #1 seeds. While there's all this discussion about how teams who played teams who played us are affecting our RPI, I believe a quarter of the RPI is your own winning record (?), and that's something Cornell is doing just fine at.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:19AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
One of the things I've always wanted to is take VIA Rail cross-Canada.[/q]
Did Rte. 1 across Canada once. Once. Between the mountains in BC and the CN Tower it's like Kansas. Without the exciting billboards.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:54AM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Our #2 and #3 spots in the USCHO and USA Today polls respectively may be shocking as well given that our current unbeaten streak has been on the backs of an awful lot of relative patsies...

Beeeej[/q]

Granted, but a number of the other top-ranked teams have been LOSING to teams they should have beaten. It's not that Cornell's more talented than the others, but that they're the only ones that appear to be firing on all cylinders right now.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:44AM

Polls are fun but in the end they're brain-dead. How often does a #1 stay #1 after losing if the teams below it win? Now how often does that happen in standings? That, in a nutshell, is why polling is silly.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 01:00PM

You can't get atoms to stand still long enough to have a exacting measurement, so why should it be different when you're measuring the Sagans and Sagans of atoms comprising the 58 D-1 hockey teams?

Date: February 22, 2005 01:22PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Polls are fun but in the end they're brain-dead. How often does a #1 stay #1 after losing if the teams below it win? Now how often does that happen in standings? That, in a nutshell, is why polling is silly.[/q]

True, but it gives us something to talk about on weekdays. :-D

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.MCB.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: February 22, 2005 01:52PM

Another advantage is that it does look good in the eyes of potential recruits. It adds to a positive public perception of the team, and may get people thinking about Cornell when they might not have before. No such thing as bad press....

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 02:19PM

[q]No such thing as bad press....[/q]So, you think the elephant walk publicity helped Vermont? :-P

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:17PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

RichH Wrote:
One of the things I've always wanted to is take VIA Rail cross-Canada.[/Q]
Did Rte. 1 across Canada once. Once. Between the mountains in BC and the CN Tower it's like Kansas. Without the exciting billboards.[/q]My brother and I drove cross-country once. The plan was to go west through the U.S. and then come east in Canada. Heading west was a great success: Jacobs Field, Wrigley Field, Minneapolis, Black Hills/Rushmore/Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower/Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Calgary. On the way back (after passing through Moose Jaw and Medicine Hat), the night manager at the Super 8 motel in Regina, Sasketchewan heard our plan and said "Really? There's nothing between here and Toronto."

We started driving south the next morning and managed to catch a second game at Wrigley on the way back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login