Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Most annoying fan at lynah

Posted by gunther 
Most annoying fan at lynah
Posted by: gunther (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 20, 2005 10:27AM

The woman at the bottom of section N who always screams in a really raspy disgusting voice "Come on Red, let's go!!!!!" when its really quite. God I hate her.

Re: Most annoying fan at lynah
Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:06AM

[Q]gunther Wrote:

The woman at the bottom of section N who always screams in a really raspy disgusting voice "Come on Red, let's go!!!!!" when its really quite. God I hate her. [/q]The fan you hate is a townie that makes noise? That doesn't seem fair.

Posted by: strixvaria (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:08AM

The "shirts off, third period" kids from section B who show up late almost every night and need 5 people to start a cheer.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:24AM

I hope the visiting goalies think I'm the most annoying fan at Lynah. :-D

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:20PM

The guy yelling "come on, Union" over and over again in section K last night. He never said anything else! And he would say it every time union came to our end of the ice--annoying!!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:22PM

I vote Gunther is the most annoying fan for criticizing a vocal townie fan rolleyes

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:34PM

[Q]gunther Wrote:

The woman at the bottom of section N who always screams in a really raspy disgusting voice "Come on Red, let's go!!!!!" when its really quite. God I hate her. [/q]

How about a freshman that posts anonymously like a coward. :-P

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:35PM

Those shirts off guys in section B only participate in cheers if they start them. They were like looking back at me last night in the third period when I was trying to get some seniors stuff going and I started flipping out. I think they're mostly seniors so that's good news. Pretty much anyone that comes late annoys me.

Posted by: marty (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:37PM

How about the jerk who yelled:

Where's the Bears?

at the end of the second intermission.

Wait ... that's me.

So where were/are the skating bears? I was looking forward to the striptease, etc. (So was Janice.) We have had a great weekend. Nice weather, great atmosphere and all. I wish I lived a bit closer so I could get on the waiting list for season tickets.

I feel old when walking toward the engineering quad and remarking the new buildings every damn time I see them. It's akin to my father riding around Troy and Latham with a gee I don't remember that look on his face. But he's almost 90. What is my excuse?

Still I feel like I'm 18 going on grad school when I am in the building. When at Lynah and yelling for the team it makes me forget my geezerhood. Thank you team for a great weekend and a great season.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:44PM

I heard they had nobody who wanted to do it.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 04:36PM

Does that mean they're having auditions for it? innocent

Posted by: finchphil (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 06:36PM

Sue Detzer told me last night that none of the people who are "trained" to wear the bear costume this year know how to skate. But apparently, they are getting some new bear costumes made for next year. My, this is interesting!

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 08:36PM

[Q]finchphil Wrote: Sue Detzer told me last night that none of the people who are "trained" to wear the bear costume this year know how to skate. But apparently, they are getting some new bear costumes made for next year. My, this is interesting![/q]Did Davenport know of this opportunity to fill out his freshman and maybe sophomore years before departing back to points mid-west?

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2005 05:13PM

I'd like to submit a vote for the mental midget in section O, from Clarkson (?) that was dancing around in his Mr. Rogers sweater and mint green vest, looking like a buffoon, and trying to agitate section B. I wish I had brought a rifle.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:25PM

My own 2 cents about the bears (I have some well placed sources ;-)):

Why there are no bears:
1. The rink staff (Phil) doesn't like the bears (more below).
2. The athletics dept. spent a lot of money on the "new" bear heads (2001?) and when the looked like crap, they lost interest in the bears as a result.
3. The bear heads didn't stay on. For folks who couldn't skate all that well this was a big problem. That discouraged many folks from giving it a second shot.
4. Tom L. used to do an awesome job generating interest and support for the bears inside the athletics dept., when he moved on to bigger things (congrats to him), the new guy wasn't nearly as dedicated as Tom.
5. There are no longer and try-outs! The bears always used to have "free" ice time to recruit for new stating bears usually late some Saturday night. This generous gift went away and the bears had to start renting ice (thanks for the SA that did happen at least 1 semester), but then the following semester the rink rental application was repeatedly denied by the rink staff.
6. The rink no longer provides a private place for bears to change. For years, the bears could change in the stick room, but then from 2001-2003 they were forced to change in the men's and women's restrooms at the bottom of section 0. This meant the bears could no longer help each other getting dressed (when it was a girl and boy bear), hence only bears that could dress themselves stuck around (meaning only 1 bear). This was a lot more difficult when the zippers where in the back and the paws didn't slip off!

So, why is the rink staff annoyed at the bears:
1. The candy the bears threw returned to the ice too frequently in the 2002-2003 season.
2. An "incident" in 2000 (when the bears were on the ice at the same time as the zamboni) where a bear parked themselves in front of the zamboni path and forced the zamboni to go around then wait to clean that spot!
3. Allegations that a bear took something from the stick room. I do not know who was accused, or when it happened, or what they took.
4. A shouting match between a bear and some large rink staff member about who was to blame for candy being thrown onto the ice.

The bears are not blameless, however athletics, and the rink staff certainly are taking up much of the responsibility.

The bears just need a little encouragement and organization from the athletics dept. I'd say it would take a few things to happen in order to bring the bears back (well within reason):

0. Athletics has to have a desire to have the bears back.
1. New bear heads (the suits are actually ok - and wearing the hockey pads adds character unlike the UMinn and UNH mascots)
2. Try-outs! Two one-hour sessions with advertisements in the rink and around campus.
3. Putting the bears, athletics, rink staff, and hockey staff all in the same room for a 30 minute meeting to clarify expectations and acceptable behavior (shooting a puck, skating into the net, throwing candy, etc.).
4. A place to change for the bears during games.

There are other things that would be nice, but this is a start that would certainly revitalize the tradition.

Sorry Marty that there was no bear this season, and no striptease. I may have been the last to do that. All I remember was skating around with my garter around my ankles tripping all over the ice, and finally heading out of the rink when the team was coming onto the ice. That meant I got a really funny look from Sam Paolini who was like “who the hell is wearing no clothes out on the ice,” all the while trying to avoid both Cornell and Union players!

Perhaps all it would take is a well thought out action plan suggested politely to athletics by concerned fans and alumni!?!?! help

Re: Most annoying fan at lynah [Skating BR Bear]
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 11:03PM

Oh, wow, memory lane: the bear's striptease the last game of the year. It was great even when it was a guy bear. (When the bear is a him, nobody writes letters to the Sun complaining, "This degrades and humiliates all men.";) How could Cornell *not* maintain and revere a tradition like that?

Wonder if you could get a Big Red skating bear into the ECACs or NCAA regionals? Maybe you convince the credentialers that the bear is a part of the band.

When was the last skating bear and last striptease? Do we have a video on ELF?

Posted by: JDeafv (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:33PM

I always got credentials at the ECAC tournament, and the NCAAs.

I was probably the last bear to strip in 2003. I've only seen 1 picture from that night and no video (that I know of).

Once when I was skating, I posed for a picture for a fan, then the next week the fan handed me a copy through the glass. It was nice.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 11:40PM

[Q]JDeafv Wrote:

Once when I was skating, I posed for a picture for a fan, then the next week the fan handed me a copy through the glass. It was nice.

[/q]

I posted a story about a bear, and my daughter here. Then I decided that the story didn't really belong in a thread titled "Most Annoying fan at Lynah", so I started a new thread. You can read the story here.

[elf.elynah.com]

The thread is titled "A Great Bear from the past"
Andy W.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2005 11:47PM by andyw2100.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login