Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Texas Flag

Posted by BCrespi 
Texas Flag
Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:40PM

If I recall there were people with a Texas flag in/around section A. Is that still going on? I havent' noticed it from my vantage point in front of the band. If not, I'm going to bring one tonight. I'll probably bring it anyway. Any thoughts?

Re: Texas Flag
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:44PM

Just make sure the ROTC attendees don't mistake it for an Iraqi flag or there'd be one heck of a skirmish.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 05:40PM

I think the guys that did it last year graduated. Mike "ack" usually has a sign that says "don't mess with McKee" with a picture of the flag on it, but thats about it. Dave the zamboni driver had a small texas flag yesterday with his cowboy costume.

Date: February 19, 2005 06:03PM

Alright, I'll have it then. Let's Go Red

Date: February 19, 2005 06:05PM

Y'all guys get over the rink. It's past six. Those of us remote, it's time to get iMix or iMixedUp sports loaded.

Posted by: jaybert (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 06:27PM

I brought a Texas flag to one game last year (I'm from Texas), was in Section B, right next to the aisle between A + B. Only brought it one game, cause people were giving me wierd looks wondering why I had a Texas flag

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 19, 2005 06:34PM

Heh. You should've seen the looks I got at MSU when I was wearing a huge red foam cowboy hat. It's cooler than it sounds (good thing, eh?).

Dave's parents came right over to say hi!

Date: February 19, 2005 09:58PM

Eh, I brought it. Seemed well received enough. And don't worry Bill, I was there before warmups started. Too bad with the shutout. Oh well, next game.

Date: February 19, 2005 10:12PM

Losing the shutout isn't just hard on Mckee and Cornell. It's just going to make it harder for the story writers. It would be so easy to type, "Cornell's stellar sophomore netminder David McKee tied Big Red legend Ken Dryden's career shutout record this weekend with back to back blankings of RPI and Union in the seniors', but not Mckee's, final regular season home game with a 4-0 win over visiting Union. McKee and Dryden both have and had 13 shutouts - but the lanky Lone Star state native and NRA lifetime member has as many as 75 games remaining to improve on Dryden's mark of a baker's dozen shutouts."

It would have been even easier for the scribes if both weekend scores had been 3-0 or 4-0 but alas that didn't happen either.

There is Moulson's third year of at least 1 hat trick per season. They can use that.

I'm sure I left out at couple cliches but I've had a bottle of wine which makes me either incapable or writing good prose or even more journalistically inclined. Y'all decide.

Posted by: Ack (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 07:47PM

The sign has been taking a little bit of a beating, but it's hanging in there.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:58PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Losing the shutout isn't just hard on Mckee and Cornell.[/q]
Yeah, he seemed absolutely devastated over it.
[q]I actually didn't know about the record. I try not to read that stuff. I just want to go out and play every game one at a time.[/q]
His dad, however, knows precisely how many he has :-)

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 04:48PM

That quote just shows that McKee has paid attention in his Sports Cliches class. He's legally required to say the same thing even if he was devastated.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 04:57PM

I just want to help the team.

We've got to play them one at a time. And the good Lord willing. Things will work out.

Date: February 21, 2005 09:20PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

I just want to help the team.

We've got to play them one at a time. And the good Lord willing. Things will work out.[/q]

Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.

Date: February 21, 2005 10:49PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: I just want to help the team. We've got to play them one at a time. And the good Lord willing. Things will work out.[/q]Yes, things will as long as you put your pants on one leg at a time on the days you're taking it one game at a time, the good Lord willing that Allah puts the wind at your back. Just don't call for help the day of the Daytona 500; He is otherwise occupied then.

Posted by: LetsGoBigRed (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 12:15PM

The flags were because Friday was the "Battle of Texas." It was the first time in NCAA history that two Texan netminders faced each other. This was the reason why there was a large contindgent of Texas flags, as well as why Dave choose his cowboy outfit for that night.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 12:19PM

[Q]LetsGoBigRed Wrote:

The flags were because Friday was the "Battle of Texas." It was the first time in NCAA history that two Texan netminders faced each other. This was the reason why there was a large contindgent of Texas flags, as well as why Dave choose his cowboy outfit for that night.[/q]
Second time.... Martin relieved Jordan Alford at RPI (yanked after one period) back in January.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 12:39PM

it was the first time both starters were from Texas

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 01:17PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

it was the first time both starters were from Texas[/q]

And I took pleasure in reminding martin that only one good goalie has come from texas.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 01:21PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

ben03 Wrote:

it was the first time both starters were from Texas[/Q]
And I took pleasure in reminding martin that only one good goalie has come from texas.
[/q]

I took it one step further to say that McKee was the only good thing to come out of Texas, ever. (Let the politics flamewar begin.)

Date: February 22, 2005 01:48PM

>>> I took it one step further to say that McKee was the only good thing to come out of Texas, ever. (Let the politics flamewar begin.)

What about the Austin music scene, Michael Dell (he'swhy you can buy a computer for $300 now), Power Computing (RIP), application of the venturi effect to peeing out the opened side doors of moving pickup trucks, big hair at DFW ("the higher the hair, the closer to God";), just about the last state without an open container law in vehicles (make sure you pronounce the H), and plaintiff-friendly tort judges? I count at least two, three good things.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 02:49PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Michael Dell (he'swhy you can buy a computer for $300 now)

[/q]

Yeah, like I would ever buy a computer from Dell for $300. :-P

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 03:58PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

I took it one step further to say that McKee was the only good thing to come out of Texas, ever. (Let the politics flamewar begin.)[/q]

Brave Combo
Shiner Beer
The Reverend Horton Heat
Camarones Rancheros
Frijoles Charros

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 04:09PM

[Q]Will Wrote:
McKee was the only good thing to come out of Texas, ever.[/q]

Freddie King
Albert Collins
Buddy Holly
Lightnin' Hopkins
T-Bone Walker
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Scott Joplin
Ornette Coleman
Roy Orbison

Date: February 22, 2005 04:53PM

Nolan Ryan.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 05:11PM

[Q]Will Wrote:McKee was the only good thing to come out of Texas, ever.[/q]

Carol Burnett
Alan Lomax
Steve Martin
The Thirteenth Floor Elevators

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 05:47PM

If anyone says Roger Clemens I will punch them.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 05:51PM

Roger Clemens

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 05:53PM

[Sound of jagged end of shattered baseball bat penetrating shin]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 06:28PM

Yeah, but he thought it was the ball! rolleyes :-(

Posted by: WC ' 83 (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 07:22PM

Martin was born in New York and his family moved to texas when he was young

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.vnnyca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 07:45PM

Roger Clemens was born in Dayton, OH. He just considers himself a Texan because he went to school there.

Speaking of athletes I don't like but respect, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Brian Leetch, born in Corpus Christi, TX.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 22, 2005 07:49PM

Why doesn't anyone know to clap and scream "Deep in the Heart of Texas" when the band plays it before the 2nd period as McKee comes to that side? Barely anyone does it. More people know the Bâby song. Strange

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 07:53PM

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Jayne Mansfield
Gene Rodenberry

Date: February 22, 2005 07:57PM

My favorite hockey player, hands down. I understand why they did it, but he should never have been in a non-Ranger uniform. Additionally, they treated him like shit through the process. Hopefully when the NHL comes back, they can resign him and let him go out a Ranger. Actually, interesting question. I believe Leetch's contract was through what would have been this year. Does that make him a free agent? It must, right?

Date: February 22, 2005 07:58PM

I'm in the row in front of the band, so perhaps I don't have an accurate handle on the situation, but the people around me are pretty with it on "Deep in the Heart of Texas"

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:01PM

[Q]CM cWo 44 Wrote:

Why doesn't anyone know to clap and scream "Deep in the Heart of Texas" when the band plays it before the 2nd period as McKee comes to that side? Barely anyone does it. More people know the Bâby song. Strange[/q]

Not everyone reads ELynah. Not everyone even knows where McKee is from. Not everyone has heard of "Deep in the Heart of Texas." Not everyone who has heard it likes it. Everyone has heard "Hey Bâby" and almost everyone has heard it in a sports environment. There wasn't instantaneous acclimation to the Bâby version. After there was, it was sung for several years. Also, the pep band plays Hey Bâby better, whereas it took a while for their version of Deep in the Heart of Texas to even be recognizable to those who were familiar with the song.
Don't worry; give it time. It'll catch on if it's meant to be.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:31PM

Eh, Leetch was born in Texas, but he grew up and was raised in my hometown in Ct and went to (private) high school, where he played hockey at Avon Old Farms outside Hartford. So he may have come "from" Texas, but his hockey life is all Connecticut-developed. He's not exactly a Texas hockey player.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:37AM

Probably because everyone did do it a cappella before the band usurped it. Now no one can be heard over the band, so why bother?

*pause*

Come on, this is the part where someone from the band adopts an our-shit-don't-stink and because-we-do-it-it-must-be-great attitude and berates anyone who disagrees with them.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.citlabs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:17PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Probably because everyone did do it a cappella before the band usurped it. Now no one can be heard over the band, so why bother?

*pause*

Come on, this is the part where someone from the band adopts an our-shit-don't-stink and because-we-do-it-it-must-be-great attitude and berates anyone who disagrees with them.[/q]
Uh, thanks...

Actually I'm staunchly against playing that song in any context, mostly because the arrangement sounds bad when we play it (sorry KP... I like your other arrangements!), but also because I had heard section A got pissy last season when we started playing it because it was "their" cheer. The conductors will tell you that I will take any excuse to not let them play it (for example, in non-Lynah rinks where McKee defends the further goal in the second period).

I'm close to alone in this opinion among pep band leadership, though.

-Lauren
2005 Pep Band Manager

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:29PM

[Q]CowbellGuy Wrote:

Come on, this is the part where someone from the band adopts an our-shit-don't-stink and because-we-do-it-it-must-be-great attitude and berates anyone who disagrees with them.[/q]

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 12:32PM by Jordan 04.

Date: February 23, 2005 09:07PM

Someone got angry that the band played the song? That's close to getting angry when other people are cheering with you.

Only I may dance.

Posted by: Robb (---.169.137.235.ts46v-07.otnc1.ftwrth.tx.charter.co)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:13PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Just make sure the ROTC attendees don't mistake it for an Iraqi flag or there'd be one heck of a skirmish. [/q]

Iraqi? Um, no. Chilean, perhaps. Until I lived in Texas, I wouldn't have been able to tell you which was which. I would certainly expect that ESPECIALLY our men and women in uniform have a reasonable idea what Iraq's flag looks like!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 10:19PM by Robb.

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:35PM

It's got a blue background, with a shield and Lady on it right? Oh wait, i keep getting it confused with my homestate of new york's screwy :-D

NOT trying to make any political statements or anything, i couldn't help but laugh when i came across this cartoon.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:40PM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:
sorry KP... [/q]
Nothin' but love.

Yeah, it's not that great. But I'm willing to bet more people are involved in the song now, as opposed to the 15 people at the bottom of A who were singing it a year ago.
Either way, I wouldn't be offended if the current band leadership decided to stop. Might actually be hott as an a cappella version now that more people are clued into it happening.

[Q]Ack Wrote:
Only I may dance. [/q]
It's my job to be repetitive. My job. My job! Repetitiveness is my job!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:18AM

Then there's this one...

[www.fotw.net]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:01AM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Then there's this one...[/q]

The Lake Superior State Muslims.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login