Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

McKee is the real deal

Posted by Trotsky 
McKee is the real deal
Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:19PM

Seeing only 5-6 games per season, evenly spaced throughout the season, is a little like wathcing the team develop in time lapse photography or under a strobe light: continuous changes that gradually reveal themselves over the course of the season might become radical, unmistakable shifts when you cut out 4 of every 5 frames.

I just saw the tape of the Hamilton game and something has happened to Dave McKee. He's gone from being a competent, admirable backstop of a smothering D to an oustanding, spectacular goaltender in his own right. I've seen other Cornell goalies make that jump -- Elliott and Underhill are the poster child cases. A few are great right out of the box -- Lenny was one, I'll go out on a limb and assume Dryden was another. And there have been other solid, skilled goalies who never made the jump -- D'Alessio and Crozier come to mind (maybe it's no accident that the two who alternated didn't radically improve). Only just past the midpoint of his sophomore season, McKee's already playing like an entirely different goaltender than he was just last season.

The statistical improvements aren't so dramatic because even a B+ goalie can crank out shutouts behind a Schafer D. But watching the Colgate tape impressed me that Cornell has one of those goalies who, if he plays his A game, can shut down *anybody*. Maybe this will be a special post-season.

Re: McKee is the real deal
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:25PM

Agreed. Sometime after Princeton (at Lynah) and before @Brown/@Harvard, McKee went from being a solid goalie who plays well enough behind our D to win, to being an excellent goalile who can steal a few games - he nearly did steal @Harvard afterall, as well as probably stealing away SLU and @ Colgate.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:35PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
I've seen other Cornell goalies make that jump -- Elliott and Underhill are the poster child cases. [/q]

Question in my mind is whether Underhill would have put up McKee-like numbers with the defense McKee has playing in front of him.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Dave hasn't done a great job backstopping the team. To shoulder the entire load so early in his collegiate career shows the maturity and will Dave possesses. And to have the success he's had shows the talent he possesses.I don't for a minute believe that the Schafer system deserve all the credit as have suggested.

All that having been said, I wonder if McKee might just be an Underhill/JMP caliber goalie with a better D, rather than the 3rd coming of LeNeveu and Dryden.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:42PM

Underhill-caliber goalie still gets you All America status by senior year.

It is fascinating to go through the season's posts (plus Ari's column) and note the he's great / he's good / he's lucky / he was great this game / he's got a good defense / he stole that game comments.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:47PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote: A few are great right out of the box -- Lenny was one, I'll go out on a limb and assume Dryden was another. [/q]Well, that's a pretty strong limb that you've decided to go out on.;-) Yes he was strong right out of the box, if being a great goalie on the freshmen team, and then being great forever more counts.:-}

Date: February 19, 2005 02:51PM

Maybe we should get McKee elected to the student senate to he can match Ken's electoral career.

Posted by: puff (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:55PM

My $.02
Mckee was always very solid. I watched all his home games last year, and then the first half of this year. Since then i've watched the home games online. I have to say in my opinion he did make that jump midway this year. In the past he would make a few poor choices, zone out or whatever and give up a goal when he wasn't getting much action. But from what i'm seeing online, i don't think those mistakes are happening now. He seems much more confident and relaxed (always has kinda been relaxed), but now its a more confident and prepared form of being relaxed, not from being for lack of better words lazy.
From what i saw of Leny, he was a more agressive goalie, who used that to shut down his oponents, sometimes getting caught by it. Mckee just seems to stay back and be the important brick wall.

Anyhow, just my $.02.

Re: McKee is the real deal, shutout question
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 03:38PM

As best as I can determine, the NCAA record for career shutouts is 17, currently held by MSU's Ryan Miller. Is that correct?

Date: February 19, 2005 04:00PM

Another source says 26 for Miller's career (three seasons).

Date: February 19, 2005 04:11PM

So, what is McKee's highest-saves game ever - that he played, that he won, that he got a shutout in?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

So, what is McKee's highest-saves game ever - that he played, that he won, that he got a shutout in? [/q]
I'm not going to look it up, but my guess is Notre Dame. That was an amazing game for him. I remember being impressed by his ability to catch the second and third rebound more than once.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:30PM

"Ryan Miller joined the Sabres organization after a stellar collegiate career with the Spartans… He posted a career 73-19-12 record, a 1.54 goals-against average and an NCAA record 26 shutouts… He was twice nominated for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award (2001 & 2002), given to the best player in Division I hockey… He won the award in 2001, becoming only the second goalie to win the award… Over his three-year career with the Spartans, he set numerous school, conference and NCAA records… He owns the Michigan State career records for goals-against average (1.54), save percentage (.941) and shutouts (26)… He also holds the single-season record in all three categories… During the 2000-01 season, he set the CCHA single-season marks for goals-against average (1.24), save percentage (.950) and shutouts (9)… Nationally, he stands as the NCAA career leader in shutouts and single-season save percentage (.950)."

[www.amerks.com]

Date: February 19, 2005 04:43PM

Me neither. Sometimes I look stuff up for others, sometimes they look it up for me. I continue to be blown away by the amount of information that's on TBRW [www.tbrw.info] and hope it's all automatically fed by USCHO data extracts, because if someone is hand-compiling the info, he's not getting more than 4 hours sleep a night.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 06:11PM

[www.tbrw.info]

It's hand-compiled. Everybody needs a hobby.

The most saves in a McKee shut out is 27 vs, as Banshee guessed, Notre Dame. The highest save total in a Cornell shut out that I know of is John Vandermark's 47 vs RPI on 1/20/76.

Posted by: ganderson (---.its.yale.edu)
Date: February 19, 2005 07:04PM

Official NCAA compiled stats available at [www.ncaa.org]

There's also a PDF of the NCAA Icehockey record book (through the beginning of this season) available around there somewhere...

Date: February 19, 2005 08:45PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

It's hand-compiled. Everybody needs a hobby.

The most saves in a McKee shut out is 27 vs, as Banshee guessed, Notre Dame. The highest save total in a Cornell shut out that I know of is John Vandermark's 47 vs RPI on 1/20/76.[/q]

Everybody needs a hobby. But is this hobby or fetish? This reminds me of say self-funded SCCA auto racing ... or owning a Mooney (an expensive priviate plane, if that's not a double redundancy) ...

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 08:47PM

[
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2005 08:47PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 10:16PM

[Q]DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

[

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/19/05 08:47PM by DisplacedCornellian.[/q]tWhat did this look like before you cleaned it up?

Date: February 19, 2005 10:20PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

[

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/19/05 08:47PM by DisplacedCornellian.[/Q]
tWhat did this look like before you cleaned it up?[/q]

Sheesh, somebody watchingggg thsi gam had more to drin than me.

I'd rather be there in person like lash weekend but the La-Z-Boy(r) recliiner has it charms too.

Posted by: Stupid Kid (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 10:35PM

10 seconds before Union's goal tonight, some loser in Section D turned to me and said "Well, another shutout for Dave McKee." What a fuckin tool!!

Oh, by the way, this kid hooked up with a fat girl last night.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]Stupid Kid Wrote:

10 seconds before Union's goal tonight, some loser in Section D turned to me and said "Well, another shutout for Dave McKee." What a fuckin tool!!

Oh, by the way, this kid hooked up with a fat girl last night.[/q]

Good to know.

As the years go by, I've become increasingly paranoid and superstitious about hockey. I don't jingle keys anymore, even when it is proper to do so. The keys are just a little too hubristic for my tastes. I'm not saying I blame the keyjinglers for the Union goal. I'm just saying I'm a freak. :-D

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:10PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

DisplacedCornellian Wrote:

[

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/19/05 08:47PM by DisplacedCornellian.[/Q]
tWhat did this look like before you cleaned it up?[/q]

I think I was doing something along the lines of calling bill an old fool, but thought better of it and censored myself :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2005 12:12AM by DisplacedCornellian.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:16PM

I will admit, I messed up the shutout. I said to the guy next to me, God I hope he gets the shutout tonight, looked back at the play, and they scored. hang me at center ice!

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:37PM

[Q]Stupid Kid Wrote:

Well, you do know why fat girls are like mopeds don't you?

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:02AM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Stupid Kid Wrote:

Oh, by the way, this kid hooked up with a fat girl last night.[/Q]
Well, you do know why fat girls are like mopeds don't you?[/q]
... b/c they're fun to ride until your friends see you on them. whistle
[sorry i had to ...]

Posted by: Douchebag (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:42AM

[Q] Posted by Stupid Kid on February 19, 2005 10:35PM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)

Oh, by the way, this kid hooked up with a fat girl last night.
[/Q]

I will go on record as saying that this kid is the biggest douche in the universe.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 20, 2005 01:02AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Stupid Kid Wrote:

Oh, by the way, this kid hooked up with a fat girl last night.[/Q]
Good to know.

As the years go by, I've become increasingly paranoid and superstitious about hockey. I don't jingle keys anymore, even when it is proper to do so. The keys are just a little too hubristic for my tastes. I'm not saying I blame the keyjinglers for the Union goal. I'm just saying I'm a freak.[/q]

Keyjingling depends on what the situation is. Of course theres the (Our Score - Their Score - 1) rule, but if we have a shutout going you dont do it (like a certain poster who made a certain thread about Iggulden did during last year's first QF game versus Clarkson and then they scored). If the other team has already scored and we're up by a few, yeah then it's OK, though you should err on the side of caution.

Posted by: hye (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 02:49AM

i di it to....i said shut out and then they scored....whatever dude...20-4-3...amazing

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 09:44AM

I should also say I don't say the word "shutout" when McKee is still in the midst of vying for a shutout. I'll instead say "the s-word". (Insert Celebrity Jeopardy joke here.) Last night, I also decided that I shouldn't say "hat trick" when one of our guys has two goals already. And I'll call that "the h-word", even if it's two words. My self-imposed superstitions were 50/50 last night. Yeah, I'm a freak. (And a baseball fan, obviously.)

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 01:18PM

We're almost there Will. Hang in man. Happy pitchers and catchers to everybody.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 01:57PM

[Q]Will Wrote:(Insert Celebrity Jeopardy joke here.)[/q]
It began with a bloody 'S'!

Posted by: Pace (209.2.88.---)
Date: February 20, 2005 05:46PM

[Q]Stupid Kid Wrote:

Dude, where was this douche sitting? Was he wearing a visor cap? I think I might know who this is.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2005 05:47PM by Pace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login