Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NHL + PA Still Talking

Posted by calgARI '07 
NHL + PA Still Talking
Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:06PM

We may not be done yet. Multiple outlets reporting that the two sides are in deep talks. Unbelievable.

[www.thehockeynews.com]

Re: NHL + PA Still Talking
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:08PM

rolleyes

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:10PM

I had heard that both sides didn't want to table an offer; The owners felt in control and are waiting for the players to act and the players are afraid of putting $45 mil on the table and having it rejected.

At this point, I only want a mini-season so Bettman is forced to institute those "fun, exciting rules" he talked about during his press conference!

Date: February 17, 2005 06:16PM

I can make fun emoticons too!

banana

Ari, I'm interested. I'm not a huge fan of the NHL but I love sports and it's killing me that I have to watch Sportscenter without hockey highlights, quite possibly the best highlights in all of sports.

Date: February 17, 2005 06:18PM

I wasn't aware that ESPN showed hockey highlights even when there was hockey going on, that is unless someone gets punched from behind or hit with a stick from behind.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:25PM

Of course we're not done yet. The NHL announced that this season has been cancelled but they didn't announce the disolution of the league as a whole. At some point they have to come to an agreement (unless the owners declare an impasse). So hopefully they are continuing to negotiate so that this will be settled long before training camps open in the fall.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.music.cornell.edu)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:26PM

[www.tsn.ca]

Sounds like crazy rumours and exaggerations.

Date: February 17, 2005 06:37PM

Speaking of Sportscenter, a few minutes ago they played a clip of David Stern, the NBA commish, talking on ESPN Radio about the NHL lockout. He called waiting until the 11th hour to negotiate to take advantage of the weakness of the other side "one of the biggest blunders in sports history"

Didn't Bettman work for Stern? Man, tough love.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:03PM

Here's what I don't get...it's so easy to say "oh...you should've been negotiating a long time ago. Not at the 11th hour." If sports labor "crises" have taught me anything, the only thing that will make sides come to the table, or back off demands is desperation. Just about every labor deal isn't settled until the "11th hour." The NBA dispute was resolved in 1998 one day prior to the "drop dead" date where the season would have been cancelled. MLB owners suffered a great deal of criticism for 1994, and caved to the players the eve before a work stoppage in 2002. It took replacement players in both 1995 (MLB) and 1987 (NFL) to settle things.

The CBC has a great historical archive of labor disputes stories:
[archives.cbc.ca]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 07:07PM by RichH.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:20PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
MLB owners suffered a great deal of criticism for 1994, and caved to the players the eve before a work stoppage in 2002. [/q]
You make a good overall point, but I don't think its quite what Stern was saying.

First off, I don't think the above is a fair characterization. The owners got a lot of what they wanted out of the 2002 negotiations. The number were higher than they initially wanted (and lower than the players wanted), but the luxury tax structure was what they were going for, and it was the first time that the MLB union had ever agreed to pretty much anything limiting overall salaries. So it wasn't a cave.

However, there was a big difference. The owners and players had been legitimately negotiating, each giving a little, changing numbers, new proposals that were closer to each other, each couple days for a several weeks before the date, finally meeting in the middle near the date.

Stern didn't say not to wait for the end to make an agreement, but he did say not to wait to the last minute to *start* negotiating. In the 8 months before Monday, the only thing either side offered that could be considered a substantial concession, was the player's 24% rollback. Other than that, there was no negotiation, no sacrafice, no concessions from either side until Monday.

Stern didn't say not to wait to the last minute to make a final deal, to get every last little bit you could, he said not to wait to the last minute to even *start* negotiating. Which is what the NHL (and NHLPA) did, and I don' think any of those others did (I could be wrong, I was too young to know negotiating details for most of those, but I'm sure the MLB in 2002 didn't).

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:02PM

The players should be worried about a complete replacement league next season (although big problems for the NHL in Canada where it's harder to drop existing workers). The NHL owners should be worried about the players forming their own league next year (although big problems if the hockey team has some controlling interest in the arena). Maybe they should keep talking.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:51PM

I haven't heard that Bettman told the teams to release their arena dates for the remainder of the season, although that may have happened and I just didn't hear it. If that's the case, then they might still play, maybe a "playoffs-only" season? (I know, probably false hope).

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:53PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Speaking of Sportscenter, a few minutes ago they played a clip of David Stern, the NBA commish, talking on ESPN Radio about the NHL lockout. He called waiting until the 11th hour to negotiate to take advantage of the weakness of the other side "one of the biggest blunders in sports history"

Didn't Bettman work for Stern? Man, tough love.[/q]

Stern was quoted similarly in the NYT, but said it about Goodenow, not Bettman (meaning Goodenow should've put the offer of a cap with no linkage on the table six months ago).

Date: February 17, 2005 08:59PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

Stern was quoted similarly in the NYT, but said it about Goodenow, not Bettman (meaning Goodenow should've put the offer of a cap with no linkage on the table six months ago).[/q]

Yeah, it definitely could have been; I may have incorrectly assumed it was directed at Bettman.

Date: February 17, 2005 09:10PM

If he did aim it at Goodenow, I don't think he knows what happened - and I can't blame him cause I kinda doubt he has the time or the interest to following the happenings of the NHL labor negotiations.

The thing is that the players put out the cap offer in response to the NHL agreeing to drop linkage, not in response to the deadline getting late (although it would certainly make sense to think that it was a bit of both). The NHL, on the other hand, did make the first move, so they were the ones who reacted solely to the date. Stern's criticism is valid, towards both sides, but if he was aiming it only at Goodenow, then that doesn't match the facts and he'd probably just be sticking up for his old pal.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:20AM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
At this point, I only want a mini-season so Bettman is forced to institute those "fun, exciting rules" he talked about during his press conference![/q]
"Fun, exciting rules" like the shootout? rolleyes yark

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:48AM

Interesting sports columnist view of "NHL season is dead" from San Jose - 'all are Idiots':

[www.mercurynews.com]

may need to register to access the site, but there is no charge.

Date: February 18, 2005 11:58AM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:
At this point, I only want a mini-season so Bettman is forced to institute those "fun, exciting rules" he talked about during his press conference![/Q]
"Fun, exciting rules" like the shootout? [/q]

As far as I know, football is the only major American sport that has ties and those happen what, once every other year? Anyways, I know you're joking and I don't want to open further a can of worms, but some of the ideas that I've heard tossed around are: smaller pads for the goalies (probably), automatic one game suspension for fighting (unfortunately, probably not), changing the two line pass rule (50-50), and as you mentioned, no ties (50-50).

Bottom line, they need to get back on the ice and I hope we don't have to rely on the world championships (in what, two months?), for that to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 12:05PM by atb9.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:58AM

+ 2 periods with a halftime extravaganza
+ shoot-outs
+ full frontal nudity
+ chimps

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:02PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

+ 2 periods with a halftime extravaganza
+ shoot-outs
+ full frontal nudity
+ chimps[/q]

Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Posted by: mjh89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:05PM

Why is it unfortunate that fighting in hockey won't be stopped? It's in the game's history, and it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice. Please don't bring up Bertuzzi. Another plus is that, as sad as you may see it, fighting is exciting. "Nobody gets up to to go thhe bathroom during a fight." Hockey, and the NHL in particular, needs all the fans it can get.

Date: February 18, 2005 01:09PM

More speculation that the PA has an offer coming:

[www.tsn.ca]

And I agree that fighting is an important part of the NHL. Almost all the people I know that are not into hockey absolutely love the fighting, far more than any other part of the game.

Date: February 18, 2005 01:33PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Why is it unfortunate that fighting in hockey won't be stopped? It's in the game's history, and it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice. Please don't bring up Bertuzzi. Another plus is that, as sad as you may see it, fighting is exciting. "Nobody gets up to to go thhe bathroom during a fight." Hockey, and the NHL in particular, needs all the fans it can get.[/q]

Are you a boxing fan? If so, stop by your nearest museum...they're always looking for more endangered species! ;-)

I don't mind fighting but if all you're going to get is a matching fighting penalty (with the faint chance of getting an instigation penalty) then whenever you are looking for some momentum, you send out your team goon. That leads to endless fighting. Go to an AHL game and you'll see players competing to earn the goon title so they can make it up to the NHL. So sad.

Resnet? Hmm...Well, I was looking for the link back to the thread from a while back (a year? two?) where we argued fighting but I couldn't find it. Maybe you'll find it better than me. Either way, there's no reason to repeat it (sorry for the above cursory look).

Date: February 18, 2005 01:40PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

And I agree that fighting is an important part of the NHL. Almost all the people I know that are not into hockey absolutely love the fighting, far more than any other part of the game.[/q]

I don't want it eliminated; I think it should be cleaned up. It's so much more exciting to see a fight in college because it's so rare.

And my boxing comment was kind of tongue-in-cheek because I'm a soccer fan, and while our numbers are growing, it's much easier to go to a bar in upstate NY to see a boxing match than it is to see a soccer match.

Posted by: adamw (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 03:41PM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:
it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice.[/q]

The biggest myth in the history of sports.

[q]Another plus is that, as sad as you may see it, fighting is exciting.[/q]

So is naked women streaking across the ice with their hair on fire, but we're not promoting that at hockey games (though maybe we should).

[q]Hockey, and the NHL in particular, needs all the fans it can get.[/q]

Maybe they are losing more by the reputation as a gong show.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:43PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

More speculation that the PA has an offer coming:

And I agree that fighting is an important part of the NHL. Almost all the people I know that are not into hockey absolutely love the fighting, far more than any other part of the game.[/q]

That may be but lets not lower ourselves to calling these people "hockey FANS"!
rolleyes

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:52PM

[Q]and it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice.[/Q]

Is there no accountability in the playoffs then? Players rarely fight in the playoffs, yet somehow the game manages to go on.

Date: February 18, 2005 04:52PM

[Q]adamw Wrote:

mjh89 Wrote:
it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice.[/Q]
The biggest myth in the history of sports.

Another plus is that, as sad as you may see it, fighting is exciting.[/Q]
So is naked women streaking across the ice with their hair on fire, but we're not promoting that at hockey games (though maybe we should).

Hockey, and the NHL in particular, needs all the fans it can get.[/Q]
Maybe they are losing more by the reputation as a gong show.[/q]

Well that "myth" is believed by many NHLers and they have commented on it. Read an artcicle from THN a few weeks ago called "The Unwritten Code." The general thoughts are that the "pest" such as the Mike Danton's, Tyson Nash's, Ville Nieminen's along with the dumbest rule in professional sports, the instigator, are what has killed that code. Fighting has decreased a lot because the instigator yet cheap shots have increased. These pests get away with these types of things yet cannot be punished properly by the team's enforcer fighting him because the instigator. The McSorely incident and Bertuzzi incident occured because they could not initiate fights. In no way am I condoning their actions in those two incidents or other actions of stupidity, but the instigator rule and the resulting descrease in fighting has a major role.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 04:55PM by calgARI '07.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 04:54PM

It's possible that the number of paying customers would decrease if there were a severe crackdown on fighting. Probable maybe. But then ESPN might be forced to show actual clips of hockey, instead of boxing on ice and over the long haul you might end up with more fans. I certainly appreciate the fact the there isn't (much) fighting in college and think that the pro game would benefit in the long run from the low-tolerance for fighting approach.

Date: February 18, 2005 04:56PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

and it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice.[/Q]
Is there no accountability in the playoffs then? Players rarely fight in the playoffs, yet somehow the game manages to go on. [/q]

The stakes are too high in the playoffs. Far less cheap shots and far less fighting. There stems almost directly from the fact that most of hte pests and enforcers don't dress at all come playoff time. It's a different game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 04:57PM by calgARI '07.

Date: February 18, 2005 04:58PM

Speculation continues that the two sides are still deep into talks.

[www.tsn.ca]

Date: February 18, 2005 07:29PM

Reports: NHL, Union to Meet Saturday in NYC

[sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: adamw (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 07:56PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:
Well that "myth" is believed by many NHLers and they have commented on it. Read an artcicle from THN a few weeks ago called "The Unwritten Code." The general thoughts are that the "pest" such as the Mike Danton's, Tyson Nash's, Ville Nieminen's along with the dumbest rule in professional sports, the instigator, are what has killed that code. Fighting has decreased a lot because the instigator yet cheap shots have increased. These pests get away with these types of things yet cannot be punished properly by the team's enforcer fighting him because the instigator. The McSorely incident and Bertuzzi incident occured because they could not initiate fights. In no way am I condoning their actions in those two incidents or other actions of stupidity, but the instigator rule and the resulting descrease in fighting has a major role.[/q]

Believe me, I know that it's believed by many. I think it's a 100% myth that has never been supported by any evidence. It's all anecdotal, by people who want to believe it's true - and many who probably do think it's true. But it's just an excuse to keep fighting in.

There is more fighting in the minor leagues than anywhere, and there's also more cheap shotting than anyone. There's little fighting in college, and there are no more "cheap shots" there than anywhere else.

Further point: When is the last time you saw one of these "enforcers" actually fight the guy who did the cheap shot? Did you ever see Bob Probert fight Tomas Sandstrom? Of course not. Sandstrom takes a cheap shot with a stick - someone runs him - then Probert fights with the other goon. And it certainly didn't stop Sandstrom from doing it again.

Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 12:01AM

[Q]mjh89 Wrote:

Why is it unfortunate that fighting in hockey won't be stopped? It's in the game's history, and it decreases cheap shots because it there's accountability for what you do on the ice. Please don't bring up Bertuzzi. Another plus is that, as sad as you may see it, fighting is exciting. "Nobody gets up to to go thhe bathroom during a fight." Hockey, and the NHL in particular, needs all the fans it can get.[/q]

Agreed on the fightings. It was certainly very true at a hand full of minor league games that I attended. All spectators were on their feet. The cheers were possibly louder than a goal.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 12:07AM

Here's a relevant story about one of Bâby's current teammates:

'I just want to fight more'
By Mike Spellman Daily Herald Sports Writer
2/11/2005

A few weeks ago, Kip Brennan requested a meeting with Chicago Wolves coach John Anderson.

Keep in mind that Brennan stands 6-feet-4, 240 pounds, and among the duties listed on his job description is beating the snot out of people.

When the meeting took place, the topic of discussion was surprising.

"Sometimes guys ask for meetings and usually it's to complain about ice time and things like that," Anderson said. "Kip said, 'No, I'm happy about my ice time, I just want to fight more,' so I go, 'Have at it.' "

That's just what Brennan has done, going at it hard and often - he leads the team with 195 penalty minutes despite missing a quarter of the season to injuries - and giving the Wolves a dynamic they sorely lacked last season: toughness.

"I was getting a little bit away from my game and focusing too much on the scoring and the offensive part," Brennan said. "I still want to improve at that, but that's not the big part of my game; that's not what got me here."

What got him to the cusp of a career in the NHL is his ability to scrap with the biggest and baddest. Even when he's not fighting, his presence in a Wolves sweater provides clearance on the ice for his teammates.

"He makes everyone taller out there," Anderson said.

"From what I gather, they were lacking a little toughness last year," said Brennan, who was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers by Los Angeles in March 2004. "What I bring to the team is trying to give the other guys like Steve Maltais, Cory Larose, Lonny Bohonos, Brad Larsen and all those guys a little more room out on the ice. The other team will have to think twice if they're going to try to take advantage of a situation."

It's up to Brennan to respond when that line is crossed.

"I told him I'm not one of those coaches that will tap you on the shoulder and tell you to go fight somebody," Anderson said. "You have to decide when and if. And if you go, make sure you don't go by yourself."

Brennan is accustomed to that role. He has been doing it successfully for quite a while now, begging the question:

Is fighting just part of the job or something you really enjoy?

"It's both," he said. "I've learned to like it. If you don't like what you're doing, you're not going to be successful at it.

"It always came naturally to me. Ever since I was younger, I was always playing with older guys. I was 13 playing Junior C against 21-year-olds. There was fighting in those leagues, and I was actually the tough guy on our team."

Maybe that experience helped develop the leadership skills Brennan has brought with him to the Wolves. After every period, he positions himself at the gate and encourages his teammates as they head to the locker room - not an unusual sight, but unusual for a player in his first year with a team.

"That's something I've always done," he said. "I look at myself as sort of a guardian angel. I go out there and protect those guys, and I'm always the first one to give everybody a tap on the back and I'm always the last one off the ice.

"I'd go to battle every day for these guys."

So far he has gone to battle quite a bit, participating in more than a dozen fights and ending up with an outrageously high win percentage.

"If you lose more than you win, then you better start thinking about doing another job," Brennan said. "As long as I win more than I lose, then I'm in a good spot."

Though he has already proved his mettle as a pugilist, Brennan and Anderson realize more will be required at the next level. With that in mind, the Wolves' coach has given the 24-year-old left wing plenty of chances to hone his game.

"John's given me a big opportunity - playing on the power play and giving me a regular shift," Brennan said.

The native of Kingston, Ontario, has responded. He matched a pro career high when he scored his fourth goal this season in late October. He now has 6 goals and 5 assists.

"That's what we need from him; we even expect more," Anderson said. "There are a lot of things he needs to get better at to play a regular shift (in the NHL). The more you play, the more money you make.

"If they were going, he'd probably be in the NHL right now. But you just can't just be a fighter in the National Hockey League; you have to bring something to the table. We put him on the power play and other things, and he's doing a good job. He brings more to the table than just fighting."

Brennan understands, but that doesn't mean he won't be savoring the moment the next time he drops the gloves and takes care of business.

"It's like scoring a goal," he said. "It gets the fans into, gets your team into it."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login