Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

1983 Harvard game question

Posted by JDIV 
1983 Harvard game question
Posted by: JDIV (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 02:49PM

I found this great site when getting ready to attend last weekend's Yale game, which was the first game that I have attended in many years, and tremendously entertaining.

Can someone please help me with the following question:

I remember two notable things about the fall 1983 home game against Harvard. I clearly remember that Harvard scored four very quick and unanswered goals in the first period, yet Cornell ended up winning 6-5. I am less sure that I correctly remember that when the Cornell lineup was introduced, Mike Schafer skated to center ice and broke a hockey stick over his bare head. Am I remembering this correctly?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Re: 1983 Harvard game question
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 17, 2005 02:56PM

While I was not yet 1 at the time and thus not there, I do know he broke a stick over his head (apparently pre-cracked in some versions) before some game to get the crowd excited.

Date: February 17, 2005 03:02PM

Well, the thing that makes the game so memorable for me ( it was my junior year) is that assuming my memory is correct, Schafer broke the stick over his head, and the crowd went absolutely insane. Just a few minutes later it was like a funeral in there as Cornell was down 4-zip. Yet Cornell won. It was the most dramatic game I ever saw.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:07PM

All of that is more or less correct (although for confirmation, you should check Greg Berge's fabulous TBRW Web site for a box score ... I bet it will posted here in minutes). The only bit that's off is the bare head. Schafer did indeed break his stick over his head during pre-game introductions, but he was wearing his helmet.

This was one of the most memorable regular season games of the 1980s. Mark Henderson's goal (the game-winner?) was the highlight. Arguably the fastest Cornell skater of the post-Ned era, Henderson used all that speed to skate onto a puck that had been cleared high out of the Cornell zone -- nearly as high as the lights, as I recall -- and scored on a breakaway.

I hated that Harvard team.

Edit: Deleted the reference to Armstrong -- I see that he wasn't in the Harvard lineup until 1985ish.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 04:40PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:18PM

[Q]Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:

All of that is more or less correct (although for confirmation, you should check Greg Berge's fabulous TBRW Web site for a box score ... I bet it will posted here in minutes). The only bit that's off is the bare head. Schafer did indeed break his stick over his head during pre-game introductions, but he was wearing his helmet.[/q]

I think it might have been Adam that observed that that story got more fantastic every time it was told for a while. Like the stick was on fire when he broke it or something. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 17, 2005 03:20PM

I definitely would have remembered that, but the stick was, alas, not on fire.:-D :-D

Date: February 17, 2005 03:38PM

[Q]I think it might have been Adam that observed that that story got more fantastic every time it was told for a while. Like the stick was on fire when he broke it or something.[/q]
Amen to that, John. Although some of the more fantastic bits really did happen. Not only did Schafer break his stick over his (helmeted) head, but he skated menacingly toward the assembled Harvard players while doing so, looking at them while snapping his twig at center ice. I'd love to say it gave me goosebumps, but it was sorta embarrassing. I remember thinking: "Wow, he really is an asshole."

[Waiting for lightning to strike me or a crowd to assemble below my window with pitchforks and lanterns.]

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:51PM

Hey, that's Coach Asshole to you! :-P

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:51PM

That was by far the best game of a bad season, and all the comments posted above are correct. Schafer breaks a stick over his head in the intros, we fall behind 4-0 in the first, Henderson scores the winner (6-5) on a breakaway after collecting a pass that seemed to go through the rafters.

I was sitting in the second row of Section B at that game. I caught my first and only puck ever at a College or pro game. Needless to say I still have it. I engraved the score and date on the puck.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 04:21PM

The box score: [www.tbrw.info]

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:01PM

The Schafer stick breaking incident was great!!

The most memorable game of that era at Lynah was probably the comeback victory against Providence in the ECAC quarterfinal playoffs in March 1979. I believe Cornell was down 5-1 with about 15 minutes left in the game and then scored 5 consecutive goals by five different players. Lance Nethery tied the score with about 15 seconds left by basically skating end-to-end past all five Providence players. Rob Gemmell won it with a slap shot in OT. However, if my memory is correct John Olds got the crowd back into the game by either getting away with using his stick to take out the outside skate of a Providence player during a face-off or doing a similar stick breaking play early in the third period. Anyone remember more of the details?

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.chesnh01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:25PM

The 1979 playoff game has been discussed here at such great length over the years that I'll resist the temptation to relive it again. It is, and likely always will be, the greatest single sporting event I've ever witnessed.

The only thing I'll add is that msphi81's description missed the two most bizarre aspects of the game:

1. Randy Wilson missing an unmolested, close-range shot at an empty net seconds before Nethery's end-to-end, game-tying rush. He wept like a child after the game.

2. Providence brought f-ing cheerleaders to the game. They were very annoying. They wept too.

Posted by: msphi81 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:39PM

Yes you are correct on the Wilson miss and the cheerleaders were more than just annoying. However, didn't Olds do something to get the crowd going?

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:49AM

Man, I love the analysis and mind-numbing statistical games we play here on elynah, but this is the real reason I love reading this site. Thanks guys for sharing all of your memories. As a fairly recent member to the Faithful family, please keep it up. Here's to making more this year. LGR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 01:50AM by BCrespi.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: February 18, 2005 02:26AM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

Man, I love the analysis and mind-numbing statistical games we play here on elynah, but this is the real reason I love reading this site. Thanks guys for sharing all of your memories. As a fairly recent member to the Faithful family, please keep it up. Here's to making more this year. LGR[/q]

Here, here! I could read this stuff all day.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 05:15AM

2. Providence brought f-ing cheerleaders :-O to the game. They were very annoying.
They wept too. :-O :-O [/q]

Resisting the open shot on an empty net here. woot

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 18, 2005 07:03AM

A question that has been bothering me for years. What is really meant by statements like "Harvard scored four very quick and unanswered goals"? Unless the game is a shutout, the last of a sequence of consecutive goals by one team is always "answered". Certainly it was in this case because Cornell scored only 12 seconds later.

Date: February 18, 2005 08:20AM

I stand corrected. "Harvard scored four quick goals in a row." ;-)

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Poking around here brings back some great memories that were dredged up by going to the Yale game. I should try to make a point of seeing at least one game each year from now on!

Date: February 18, 2005 09:36AM

[Q]msphi81 Wrote:However, didn't Olds do something to get the crowd going?[/q]
Oops, it took me a while to realize that you were connecting Olds to Schafer via lumber. Sorry about that. No, I don't remember Olds doing anything like that, but I've heard other folks mention this. Don't know if it's apocryphal.

Olds was the best. He and Schafer are part of a lineage of enforcers in the post-Ned period. It goes something like this: Stokes > Olds > Schafer ... and then a spiritual gap.

Date: February 18, 2005 10:11AM

Olds was the best. He and Schafer are part of a lineage of enforcers in the post-Ned period. It goes something like this: Stokes > Olds > Schafer ... and then a spiritual gap.[/q]
I would include Ratushny and the next in that sequence. It's often forgetten that he was a punishing hitter and great ice captain because his offensive skills were so strong.

The geneology of the "spiritual heart of the team," IMHO, goes:

John Olds 79-82
Mike Schafer 83-86
Dan Ratushny 89-91
Shaun Hannah 91-94
Steve Wilson 94-97
Stephen Bâby 00-03

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:18AM

I'd kinda like to include Greg Hornby on that list somehow. I suppose one could say that this team just has a lot of heart. :-D

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:19AM

Olds was the best. He and Schafer are part of a lineage of enforcers in the post-Ned period. It goes something like this: Stokes > Olds > Schafer ... and then a spiritual gap.
[/q]
Oh, I don't know--Norton and Levasseur, though certainly not one-dimensional "enforcers," certainly picked up the slack after Schafer's graduation. I'd give the edge to Norton, since Levasseur, to me, always seemed just undisciplined. Norton's penalties sure brought the ire of some guy who sat in front of my parents and me. "Oh, Norton! Norton!" he would lament.

After that there does seem to be a gap until the arrival of Dan Dufresne in 1993. As the penalty box seat had etched into it at one time: "Reserved, Dan Dufresne." When Cooney, Steve Wilson, and Jason Kendall arrived (my class, heh!), the goon factor certainly increased. I think Wilson was actually most in Schafer's mold. Nobody seemed to be able to get under the skin of opposing players like Wilson. Cooney and he would both throw their bodies around checking people, but Wilson would taunt them for his and Cooney's hits. And then the penalty would be called and his face would change to that boyish, "Oh, geez, ref, it couldn't have been me!" look. Rich(H) and I used to call him: "Steve Wilson, a--hole of the ECAC." Boy were we glad he was ours.

Kendall, however, still holds my heart (and perhaps Schafer's) for most obvious gooning. There was a dustup at the end of a Brown game in Providence, back when Gaudet's travelling goon show always caused problems. (That is, besides their reprehensible practice of falling on the puck at the end of possible ties with us. Boy, I wanted to kill someone when they did that.) Anyway, the usual suspects were involved, including Cooney. Well, Kendall was skating around, uninvolved, out at center ice when things seemed to be calming down. I saw Schafer point at him, point at the fight, and say something like, "You! Go!" Kendall went charging in from center ice and absolutely clobbered someone. The fight started up again and he and Cooney found their way to DQs. It was precious.

I'm not really a fan of fighting, in hockey or otherwise, but there was something about Gaudet's teams that brought out the worst in everyone. If it's Gaudet--Brown or Green--flush it down.

Date: February 18, 2005 10:20AM

And Bob himself is such a soft-spoken guy... ;-)

Date: February 18, 2005 10:22AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:I would include Ratushny and the next in that sequence. It's often forgetten that he was a punishing hitter and great ice captain because his offensive skills were so strong. The geneology of the "spiritual heart of the team," IMHO, goes:

John Olds 79-82
Mike Schafer 83-86
Dan Ratushny 89-91
Shaun Hannah 91-94
Steve Wilson 94-97
Stephen Bâby 00-03
[/q]

I think that's a good lineage for "spiritual heart of team," but the lineage I was describing was (ruthless) "enforcer," an important role that no one really took up for a while. Sometimes the two have been the same, as in Olds and Schafer, but not always. Stokes wasn't the spiritual heart of nuthin', except maybe darkness.

It's interesting to note that even in your lineage, there's still a telling spiritual gap after Schafer.

Date: February 18, 2005 10:34AM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Hillel Hoffmann Wrote:
[/Q]
Oh, I don't know--Norton and Levasseur, though certainly not one-dimensional "enforcers," certainly picked up the slack after Schafer's graduation.[/q]
Norton and Levasseur were physical and picked up loads of PIMs, so there was a superficial resemblance to the Olds-Schafer enforcer role. But I just can't put them in the same lineage as John and Mike. There are some guys (and you're right, Steve Wilson was one of 'em) who have this freaky understanding of when to use intimidation -- physical, mental, legal, illegal, instigating, retaliatory, whatever -- to change the momentum or pace of a game. That's what a true enforcer does. Olds knew it, without being told. Schafer knew it. Now Stokes, he didn't always understand -- I think Bertrand had to tell him to kick booty.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:43AM

Norton and Levasseur were physical and picked up loads of PIMs, so there was a superficial resemblance to the Olds-Schafer enforcer role. But I just can't put them in the same lineage as John and Mike.
[/q]
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was only 12, it was my first season, and any hitting was bound to make an impression. What you say about enforcers is right on: we're looking for Scott Stevens and (no matter how much I hate him) Claude Lemieux-types rather than simply hard-playing bruisers.

Stokes wasn't the spiritual heart of nuthin', except maybe darkness.
[/q]
Then I insist on adding Dufresne for 93 and 94. Cooney flattened people not to be mean, but because they were wearing the wrong color. (Hornby also seemed to be more in this line.) Dufresne and Wilson, however, cross-checked their way into my heart.

The question becomes: who on this year's team is the enforcer, or could be? (I think Hynes, if not so valuable on the ice, has potential.) Has there been one since Wilson graduated?
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 10:58AM by Scersk '97.

Date: February 18, 2005 11:05AM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:The question becomes: who on this year's team is the enforcer, or could be?[/q]
I think it's fair to say that one of the defining things about (coach) Schafer's teams is that he has somehow been able to transmit the sense of how/when to use intimidation and physical play to most of his players, even the ones that no one would ever dream of calling enforcers. Because of that, his teams don't really need one person to assume that role -- as opposed to, say, Bertrand-era teams that truly needed enforcers, partly for their old-school protect-yer-fragile-star role.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:16AM

Speaking of enforcement, rumor has it that one of Doug Murray's favorite tricks was to pin an opponent up against the boards and laugh in his ear as he held him there. It's probably not one of the most unique tricks in the book, but I think it's a hilarious mental picture. His poor victims just couldn't handle him.
Not that this has anything to do with the thread, but I'd like to point out that if I were a male hockey player good enough for D1, I would absolutely be my team's enforcer. The main reason I probably never went anywhere with any of the sports I played was because I was too busy trash talking the other team and trying to spike them as I slid into a stolen base. Girls' sports in my area were all about singing on the bus and putting ribbons on each others' ponytails. Ugh. Guys don't pull that kind of crap, do they?
On that note, anyone on this board in the NYC area need a gritty catcher for their spring co-ed softball team? I promise I'll behave. :-D
-Jers

Date: February 18, 2005 01:21PM

the lineage I was describing was (ruthless) "enforcer," an important role that no one really took up for a while. Sometimes the two have been the same, as in Olds and Schafer, but not always.[/q]

No enforcer lineage can be complete without Dave Crombeen. ;-)

Posted by: 125EddyStreet (---.petro-chemusa.inch.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 05:03PM

I was at the game and I remember that moment very clearly ... It was one of the best at Lynah. It happened.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:36PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

...Girls' sports in my area were all about singing on the bus and putting ribbons on each others' ponytails. Ugh. Guys don't pull that kind of crap, do they?
-Jers[/q]

When guys do that it's called hazing.
:-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 12:30AM

Or interrogation.

Posted by: abmarks (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:42PM

I asked Shafer about the broken stick thing while he was assistant coaching here. Specifically I asked iiif the stick had been pre-cut. HE didn't answer - just grinned.....

nut
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2005 02:43PM by abmarks.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 03:48PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
Girls' sports in my area were all about singing on the bus and putting ribbons on each others' ponytails. Ugh. Guys don't pull that kind of crap, do they?[/q]

We had one guy that would sit upfront with the score girls, and then take his jock and cup off *without* removing his shorts. Think zoolander, but seated, on a school bus, with a sweaty jock. Truly impressive.

Same guy wrote "I'm a dork" and "Kick me" on another dude's scalp with a sharpie just before an away game against Homer. Sharpie dude scrubbed it off that night...using comet. He wasn't so bright. Of course, he also used to drop acid in detention...

No ribbons though.

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:
I promise I'll behave. [/q]

But we like you better when you don't..... ;)

Re: 1979 Providence and John Olds
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 04:32PM

I don't remember Oldsie turning the crowd around. What I do remember is Mark Whitehead throwing a monster check into "Big Jim" Korn at the corner boards. For you youngsters, think Topher Scott checking Noah Welch or Matt Nickerson.

Regarding Olds and his enforcer role, his nickname in the press was "The Toronto Terror" although he wasn't just an enforcer. He was a decent player. My favorite Olds move came in the last '79 regular season game against Northeastern. Olds checked two NU players simultaneously in the corner near the doors in section G. Both were taken out of the play, and one of them fell to his knees. What the ref and most of the crowd couldn't see was that Olds threw an uppercut as he hit the player - that's what made him crumple. Classic Oldsie.

Date: February 20, 2005 05:29PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: Regarding Olds and his enforcer role, his nickname in the press was "The Toronto Terror" although he wasn't just an enforcer. He was a decent player. [/q]
Yes. Way more than decent. That is a great story, Jeff. Thanks.

If someone forced me to make a 24-man all-Cornell roster of players from my years as a (conscious) fan -- and I'm talking about a "real" team, not just guys who piled up the points and thus have an inflated post-CU reputation -- then I'd pick Olds in a heartbeat. And I'd pick him even if he'd racked up only half the points he got (more than 30 a year!). A great player, a Lynah favorite, a personal favorite.

[Aside: Man, wouldn't it have been great to have Whitehead for four years? The legacy of those Penn transfers has been SO underrated.]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 05:36PM

It's hard to compare points then and now. We scored double digit goals in a few games while I was there. I can't imagine that happening any more.

I would have liked to have Whitehead for four years, too. He was a player with a lot of heart.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: February 20, 2005 05:36PM

Varteressian definitely the primary enforcer of this team. Hynes really showed a lot this weekend in coming to Moulson's defense on Friday. Sawada next in line.

Date: February 20, 2005 06:34PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: It's hard to compare points then and now. We scored double digit goals in a few games while I was there. I can't imagine that happening any more.[/q]

True. Here's a better way to look at it: Despite being one of Cornell's most effective enforcers ever, Olds was usually among the team's top scorers. I think he was top 3 or 4 in his senior year ... on a team with Kerling and the like, as I recall.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 06:53PM

I was very lucky to see Olds play. He was one of those rare guys, like Schafer, who when he was on the ice made the whole rest of the team skate faster, hit harder, somehow be prouder. Another was Brad Chartrand. They are few and far between -- incredible, natural, effective leaders.

I'd put Olds on my all-time-seen team, too, and I'd have him on the ice in the final minute of a tight game.

Posted by: Howard (---.skbr.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 01:53PM

The stick was already broken when he brought it out for the Harvard game that year (1983). He told me that when we spoke around 2 years later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login