Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

game worn jerseys avail. for sale

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
game worn jerseys avail. for sale
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 04:15PM

As of this afternoon, the Teagle Hall issue room has the following game- worn CCM jerseys available for $100 :

Home (white w/ ECAC patch, no nameplate)
#2 O'Byrne
#9 Varteressian
#10 McCutcheon
#11 Carefoot
#12 Wallace
#18 Iggulden
#22 Glover
#23 Downs
#30 Marr
#31 McKee

Away (red, no ECAC patch or nameplate)
#1 Chabot
#2 O'Byrne
#5 Gleed
#7 Cook
#10 McCutcheon
#11 Carefoot
#12 Wallace
#14 Cam Abbott
#15 Pegoraro
#16 Hornby
#24 Moulson
#25 ??
#26 ??
#27 Knoepfli
#28 Hynes
#31 McKee

These all appear to be the 2003-4 jerseys, but the Iggulden away jersey my friend just bought appeared to have had the A for assistant captain removed before it went up for sale.
-Ben Rocky
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2005 04:16PM by Ben Rocky 04.

Re: game worn jerseys avail. for sale
Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 10, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]These all appear to be the 2003-4 jerseys, but the Iggulden away jersey my friend just bought appeared to have had the A for assistant captain removed before it went up for sale.[/Q]

The 03-04 away jerseys were also worn at the beginning of this year, since the new ones were late coming in.

Date: February 10, 2005 04:26PM

Thats what we figured.

Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 07:12PM

So, has anyone ever "mail-ordered" a gameworn from Teagle?

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 08:47PM

Any idea how many sets of jerseys Cornell makes for each player for the season? Like 2 and 2 (home and away)? Or 10 and 10 for resale purposes?

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 09:21PM

can you just show up to get one of these jerseys or should I call ahead of time? and is it possible to get the issue room to put a name plate on the jersey?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 09:35PM

[Q]TShen Wrote:

So, has anyone ever "mail-ordered" a gameworn from Teagle? [/q]

Yeah, it's called emailing Age and offering him $125 to walk from Biotech to Teagle.

:-P

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 10:08PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Any idea how many sets of jerseys Cornell makes for each player for the season? Like 2 and 2 (home and away)? Or 10 and 10 for resale purposes? [/q]
as far as i know each player gets one home jersey and one away jersey per season w/ the name plates being recycled from year to year.
i don't think resale was/is ever intended but rather a convienent benefit of having the demand from the Faithful fanbase.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 11:01PM

You can just show up, you do not need to call ahead of time. The issue room does not have nameplates to put on the jerseys, so you can ask but it won't do any good. As has been mentioned previously, Perfect Screen Printers makes nameplates for a reasonable charge.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 11:02PM

The FAQ for the procedure, at least as of when it was written
[www.elynah.com]

Date: February 10, 2005 11:05PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

You can just show up, you do not need to call ahead of time. The issue room does not have nameplates to put on the jerseys, so you can ask but it won't do any good. As has been mentioned previously, Perfect Screen Printers makes nameplates for a reasonable charge.[/q]
IIRC, nameplates are either $5 or $10 plus $1 per letter of the name you want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2005 11:06PM by ben03.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:34AM

Does anyone have any updated info about ECAC patches? I know it was discussed here a year or so ago, but now that the ECAC became the ECACHL, moved, and has had some serious personnel turnover it seems likely that the procedure has changed, or the people that have them for sale are gone. In particular I'm looking for a patch for a red away jersey from 2003.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:18AM

How's the quality on the nameplates?

Date: February 11, 2005 01:44AM

[q]BCrespi Wrote:
How's the quality on the nameplates?[/q]
It's my understanding that PSP makes the actual nameplates that the team uses, so theoretically they should be identical. If I'm mistaken, then I can still say from personal experience that they *look* exactly the same.

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:
Does anyone have any updated info about ECAC patches? I know it was discussed here a year or so ago, but now that the ECAC became the ECACHL, moved, and has had some serious personnel turnover it seems likely that the procedure has changed, or the people that have them for sale are gone. In particular I'm looking for a patch for a red away jersey from 2003.[/q]The most recent information is what I got from Sue about two years ago, and I understand that it was still correct when people wanted to get patches last year. When I last ordered, I got 4 patches for something like $1.50 or $1.75 apiece and the shipping was like $6. I'm going to pick up a new jersey soon, and I know a few other people who've recently bought. I'd certainly be willing to do a group order for patches, so that nobody has to pay disproportionate shipping. But if anyone does just want to do it themselves, the company is called Haemmerle something-or-other and their phone numbers are 973-365-1123 and 973-365-1363

Date: February 11, 2005 08:28AM

[Q]BCrespi Wrote:

How's the quality on the nameplates?[/q]
you'll have a hard time telling the difference between PSP nameplates and the ones on the back of the team jerseys.
in fact, i think PSP makes the ones for the team .... so they'd be identicle.

The search for another jersey
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:51AM

So I went to the Teagle issue room this morning at 9AM in order to purchase what would likely be the crown jewel of my Cornell hockey fandom, David McKee's white game-worn jersey. As it turns out, I was a half-hour too late. Apparently, David's mom had called ahead and got them to set aside her son's two jerseys for her to purchase. Nuts. I would have been mad if another fan had gotten to the McKee jerseys before I was able to, but I suppose I can't be too mad if they are going to McKee himself or to his family. Nevertheless, I am a bit disappointed. The only silver lining to this is that now I don't have to take $100 away from my "buy Will a new computer" fund.

But...Mrs. McKee, if you're reading this, and you're willing to sell one of the jerseys to a big fan of your son, feel free to e-mail me at LynahFaithful@gmail.com . :-)

Date: February 11, 2005 10:01AM

The goalie jerseys are really huge, though. I almost bought it this past fall, but it just looked rediculous.

Date: February 11, 2005 10:03AM

I'm a pretty big guy. It wouldn't necessarily look that ridiculous on me. Though, the jersey that I have right now, Chris Abbott's red away jersey from 2002-2003, fits me just fine, so perhaps a goalie jersey will be big on me after all.

Re: game worn jerseys avail. for sale [1 edit]
Date: February 11, 2005 10:54AM

game- worn jersey update, FYI:

what I know is now gone:
both red and white McKee (clearly)
in red: Hynes & Moulson
in white: Iggulden
& probably others
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2005 11:17AM by Ben Rocky 04.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.CORNELL.EDU)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:00AM

[Q]Ben Rocky 04 Wrote:

game- worn jersey update, FYI:

what I know is now gone:
both red and white McKee (clearly)
in red: Hynes, Iggulden & Moulson
& probably others[/q]
Yeesh, and I thought I wouldn't have a problem waiting until noon. Knew I should have gotten out of work this morning... :`(

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:25PM

Leave it to the eLynah Forum to create a panic and a run on jerseys... ;-)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.akamai.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:31PM

Hey, I lost out the last time they were announced, which was back in late 2003. I wasn't going to make the same mistake this time. So, color me panicked. :)

Kyle (long a member of the red army, soon to be a member of the white army... or something)

Date: February 11, 2005 12:33PM

Well, if I were in the market for a jersey this time around, I'd be in the same boat. One has to wonder what the issue room employees are thinking today. "What's going on??" laugh

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:43PM

Any kind souls in Ithaca that might be able to pick one up for me? I will be in town for RPI/Union, so you only have to wait a week for your reimbursement...

Please e-mail me if you'd be willing.

Edit: Oh damn. I didn't realize it was reading that URL when I'm connected to my VPN from home....Now everyone's gonna think I'm a hotelie...sigh. blush
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2005 12:47PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:08PM

Heh. My parents were out of town (Ithaca), so I had to call in a favor from another relative who picked up #10 for me. I guess I'm glad it doesn't have the M word on it - gonna have to have a Dragon nameplate made...

:)

Date: February 11, 2005 01:12PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
Well, if I were in the market for a jersey this time around, I'd be in the same boat. One has to wonder what the issue room employees are thinking today. "What's going on??" [/q]Never underestimate the power of the internet. :-}

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:34PM

[Q]TShen Wrote:

So, has anyone ever "mail-ordered" a gameworn from Teagle? [/q]I e-ordered one. The fine fellow (whose name I do not recall) sent me a list of available numbers. I then asked Laura Stange to fax me the rosters from when I was at Cornell. Once I received them, I wrote back to the fine fellow (whose name I do not recall) and asked him to set aside 2-home (Ratushny).

When I arrived in Ithaca for the OSU game last year, Travis Bell's old jersey was waiting on a hanger for me. It will be in Princeton, New Jersey tonight. Best $100 I ever spent (aside from the McSweeney's lifetime subscription).

Date: February 12, 2005 09:33AM

what are the issue room hours?

Date: February 13, 2005 06:50PM

[Q]Dpperk29 Wrote:

what are the issue room hours?[/q]

[www.elynah.com]

Posted by: dafein (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:26AM

Any idea if the puck marks/ stick wax is able to be removed?
Also, if anyone has ever gotten the nameplates from PSP... how long does it usually take?

Date: February 14, 2005 12:06PM

[Q]dafein Wrote: Any idea if the puck marks/ stick wax is able to be removed? [/q]Why not pursue jersey #1 if you're looking for the closest-thing-to-new-and-unworn in a Cornell jersey?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:09PM

[Q]dafein Wrote:

Any idea if the puck marks/ stick wax is able to be removed?[/q]

Huh? You want a gamer that doesn't look game-worn? What's the point?

Patched holes and rips, puck marks, blood stains and wax (and cheap beer) are all part of the charm.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:09PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

dafein Wrote: Any idea if the puck marks/ stick wax is able to be removed? [/Q]
Why not pursue jersey #1 if you're looking for the closest-thing-to-new-and-unworn in a Cornell jersey? [/q]*Tweet* Two minutes for roughing.

Date: February 14, 2005 12:21PM

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. The question was sort of a fat pitch over the center of the plate just waiting to be pounced on.) You're right, that was a cheap shot at Chabot, who's been a loyal team member and at least the guys who are the sixth/seventh defensement know they'll get some ice tiime. He deserves a lot of credit for sticking it out.

Someone who wants clean game-worn jersey should probably just buy a knockoff jersey eg the Red Wings jersey that looks like a Cornell jersey except for the sleeve banding.

Date: February 14, 2005 12:22PM

Not the price Cornell charges for jerseys isn't out of line (see what an NHL jersey costs) but I saw at Baker Rink in Princeton that they're selling vintage hockey jerseys for $75. Of course, it does say Princeton not Cornell hockey.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:24PM

[Q]
ugarte wrote:
I e-ordered one. The fine fellow (whose name I do not recall) sent me a list of available numbers. I then asked Laura Stange to fax me the rosters from when I was at Cornell. Once I received them, I wrote back to the fine fellow (whose name I do not recall) and asked him to set aside 2-home (Ratushny). [/q]
To whom did you send the e-order? I sent an email Friday afternoon (about 5pm eastern) to the address listed in jeh's write-up, but have not gotten a response. Thanks.

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:29PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

dafein Wrote:

Any idea if the puck marks/ stick wax is able to be removed?[/Q]
Huh? You want a gamer that doesn't look game-worn? What's the point?

Patched holes and rips, puck marks, blood stains and wax (and cheap beer) are all part of the charm.[/q]

I agree. Half of the appeal of dragging out my old rugby jerseys is that there are still some blood stains that just never quite came out.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:00PM

Something tells me those don't sell nearly as fast as game-worns at Cornell.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 01:59PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Something tells me those don't sell nearly as fast as game-worns at Cornell.

Beeeej[/q]

I'm sure "Fair weather Princeton fan" has a closetful. :-P

Date: February 14, 2005 04:16PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

ugarte wrote:
I e-ordered one. The fine fellow (whose name I do not recall) sent me a list of available numbers. I then asked Laura Stange to fax me the rosters from when I was at Cornell. Once I received them, I wrote back to the fine fellow (whose name I do not recall) and asked him to set aside 2-home (Ratushny). [/Q]
To whom did you send the e-order? I sent an email Friday afternoon (about 5pm eastern) to the address listed in jeh's write-up, but have not gotten a response. Thanks.[/q]A fine fellow (whose name I do not recall). Get the issue room phone number and just talk to the guy. He will give you the email information.

Posted by: R (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:54PM

[www.collegejersey.com]

A bit more expensive than Teagle...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:45PM

$250 apiece, no nameplates or ECAC patches. I guess if you were really desperate or really wanted a jersey from 4-5 years ago...

Heh Heh Heh....
Posted by: Ivyman (---.amc.edu)
Date: February 15, 2005 10:20AM

Cornell Hockey Jerseys: $250
Penn Football Jerseys: $150

Priceless!:-D

Posted by: KenP (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:44PM

If players get a limited number of jerseys per year, how can you purchase game-worn jerseys in the middle of the season? I don't want to force anyone to play hockey in their pajamas.....

Date: February 15, 2005 05:54PM

These are last year's jerseys that no one noticed were available until last week.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:55PM

They're the jerseys from last season but the name plates and captain's letters have been removed. Thus one can purchase any specific number from last year and put any name desired on the back of it (Sawada or Pokulok or even Brown :-P , for example).

Date: February 15, 2005 05:59PM

[Q]KenP Wrote:

If players get a limited number of jerseys per year, how can you purchase game-worn jerseys in the middle of the season? I don't want to force anyone to play hockey in their pajamas.....[/q]

Generally, the jerseys on sale at Teagle are the previous year's jerseys. Each year, each player gets two jerseys, one home and one away. Once the new jerseys come in at the beginning of each year, the old jerseys go on sale sans nameplates. Occasionally, the new jerseys are late and don't arrive by the first game of the season, so players are forced to play in their old jerseys for the first few games of the new season. In fact, that happened at the beginning of this season. So if you were to buy Wallace's #12 jersey, there's a chance that it was also worn by Sawada for a game or two.

EDIT: Hey, no fair answering before I do. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2005 05:59PM by Will.

Date: February 15, 2005 06:10PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

EDIT: Hey, no fair answering before I do.[/q]

haha! From the increasingly in-depth answers, I'm guessing we all started working on an answer at the same time! :-)

Date: February 15, 2005 08:39PM

I would be willing to group order, I just picked up two jersey's yesterday and need the red ECAC patches that go on them. you can email me if the offer for group ordering is still valid at netsaber@twcny.rr.com

Posted by: dafein (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 16, 2005 11:42PM

Does anyone know if actual people from PSP usually go to the games or are they students that stand in the lobby and try to sell Cornel hockey gear?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:57AM

John (large and talkative) from PSP is usually there, and if not, Brandy (short redhead) is. They work for PSP full-time - I believe John owns it (at least, he has a huge office there and he's the one you want). There's also an older woman with an accent whose name I forget. Then there are two girls that usually work the games - Margaret and Megan - who are pretty knowledgable and can get you in contact with John as necessary.

Yep, I've been down to PSP way too many times. :-P

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:03AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Someone who wants clean game-worn jersey should probably just buy a knockoff jersey eg the Red Wings jersey that looks like a Cornell jersey except for the sleeve banding. [/q]

I'm still amazed that Cornell lets PSP sell those Big Red Wings jerseys. Isn't part of the idea of controlling licensing of trademarks to make sure that sub-standard products don't tarnish the reputation of the brand?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 17, 2005 09:00AM

Not only do they let PSP sell them, Lehman was even given a Big Red Wings jersey at his inauguration. screwy

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:07AM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Not only do they let PSP sell them, Lehman was even given a Big Red Wings jersey at his inauguration. [/q]

LOL...they couldn't even spare one game-worn jersey for the man? :)

Kyle

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:17AM

It might not look all that great to say "Hey Prez, here's your hockey jersey, sorry we couldn't get you a new one, we could only find you this used one." I'm sure he'd love it, but there's probably some principle involved....and anyways, more for us!

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:30AM

As of this 7:30 morning, only Red #1 and Red #11 were left.

Date: February 17, 2005 09:45AM

Finally got in contact with the issue room - only 1 Red and 11 Red are left - which I passed on. There was a very prominent #1 in my years on the Hill but I was afraid the sweater would be too big.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:54AM

I think I'm going to shoot for a Christmas/Chanukah gift in 10 months. When would you suggest I first contact the issue room? November?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:00AM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

There was a very prominent #1 in my years on the Hill but I was afraid the sweater would be too big.[/q]
Shoes, too. ;-)

Date: February 17, 2005 11:09AM

[Q]When would you suggest I first contact the issue room? November? [/Q]

This year the white jerseys weren't ready until early December, that's when I got mine. Novermber sounds like a good time to start calling, though.

Date: February 17, 2005 01:28PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Finally got in contact with the issue room - only 1 Red and 11 Red are left - which I passed on. There was a very prominent #1 in my years on the Hill but I was afraid the sweater would be too big.[/q]

Not picking on Jeff here, but his comment made me think of something that came up at Anna Liffies last weekend.

Does anybody else have a problem with intentionally slapping the wrong name on a gamer? If you know the vintage, shouldn't you put the correct name on it?

For example, at one point I traded my #17 Karam for a nameless #9 Svoboda that I fully intended to put Svoboda on. (I never did, since I traded back at the end of the season since a 56 looks silly on my 5'11 frame.) Putting Varterresian, Papp or Dragon on it just seems wrong to me.

Certainly, a McRae #17 is more desirable than a Peach #17, but if you know you have Keith's gamer, you shouldn't throw a McRae nameplate on it. Likewise, even though it isn't clear whether the #11 still available belonged to Carefoot or Francis, putting Tymchyshyn on the back just ain't right.

My $.02.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 01:44PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
Does anybody else have a problem with intentionally slapping the wrong name on a gamer? If you know the vintage, shouldn't you put the correct name on it?[/q]I'm with you. I bought Travis Bell's jersey because he wore Dan Ratushny's number. Even though I know why I bought the jersey, I also liked Bell's game an awful lot and it would feel like a slap at him if I put Ratushny's nameplate on his jersey. Anything I put on wouldn't be the real nameplate anyway, so it might as well be a bumper sticker.

I'd rather just keep it as it is: big #2 on the back, little ones on the sleeves and stitch scars where the plates used to be. Oh yeah, and Cornell across the front - which is what really matters.

Date: February 17, 2005 01:56PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

jkahn Wrote:

Finally got in contact with the issue room - only 1 Red and 11 Red are left - which I passed on. There was a very prominent #1 in my years on the Hill but I was afraid the sweater would be too big.[/Q]
Not picking on Jeff here, but his comment made me think of something that came up at Anna Liffies last weekend.

Does anybody else have a problem with intentionally slapping the wrong name on a gamer? If you know the vintage, shouldn't you put the correct name on it?.[/q]

I wouldn't have thought of putting "Dryden" on the sweater. For that matter, an authentic Cornell Dryden uniform would not have "Dryden" on it. It would be good to have a number which I could relate to for both the current era and for my undergrad years. Although I've often thought that they should be selling them with class years, and having a 70 on the back would work for me.

Anyway - does anyone know in what year names first appeared on the back of Cornell uniforms?

Date: February 17, 2005 01:57PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:

Does anybody else have a problem with intentionally slapping the wrong name on a gamer? If you know the vintage, shouldn't you put the correct name on it?

[/q]
I don't have a problem with other people doing it. They can put a magic-marker smiley face on theirs, if they want. But for my collection, I certainly wouldn't. In fact, I haven't made any secondary alterations to any of mine, which includes getting PSP to make replacement nameplates, getting conference patches, etc. Part of it is laziness and worries about the quality. Part of it is adding something that isn't authentic to an authentic. Maybe if I got a few ECAC patches, I would. And I did ask around to see if there were any 2003 FF patches to be found, as I have a 2003 jersey in which you can still see the stitch-holes where that special patch went. The players got to keep the patches; they certainly deserve them more than I.

The first gamer that I bought while I was in school (from 1995) still has the original nameplate, and that was before the teams started wearing conference patches. Also interesting about that one is that the CCM patch on the hem had been covered up with jersey material. Maybe they had to do that due to licensing concerns and a Bauer sponsorship with the ECAC that existed back then. It also cost $40 back then.

I also have a game-worn from the last year the league used the old "torch" league logo patch (1999), so that's still on there, but no nameplate. You can see the outline of the ass't captain "A" in stitches, which is kind of neat. That one cost $80.

On one of the two 2003 jerseys I own, you can clearly read the player's name where the nameplate used to be. It's impressed into the fabric, which I've never seen happen before.

But yeah...I really covet a Frozen Four patch from 2003. Anyone have any ideas?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 01:59PM by RichH.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:03PM

Mom had an Oates nameplate (and an A) put on a #20 jersey for me which we both honestly thought was Oates's at the time, but which I think we've deduced from the conference patch must actually have been Palahicky's freshman jersey. I'm not exactly losing sleep over it, but it would be cooler if it had actually been worn by Oates.

Date: February 17, 2005 03:07PM

Mailed the check Saturday, got the jersey today. Bill officially rocks. rock

Cheers,
Kyle

Re: game worn jerseys avail. for sale (miscellaneous thoughts)
Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 03:49PM

One suspects publicity about the jerseys here helps them sell out. Way to go, eLynah.

One wishes Cornell offered new, unworn game jerseys in sizes that look good (don't droop) when you're not wearing shoulder and elbow pads. Some people prefer really large sportswear; others don't want stuff that comes to your knees. If Topher wears his game-worn jersey over street clothes, it's a wonder he doesn't trip on the hem walking up Libe Slope. (I'm not saying this is the only way Cornell should offer jerseys, but it would be nice as an option.) And maybe you could get them with your class year, not just a famous-player number.

BTW seniors (on the team) get to keep one of their jerseys, don't they?

It would also be nice if Cornell sold a classic jersey, say the one worn by the 1967 or 1970 team. Note Princeton is doing a special run of an old jersey for (how many can there be) Princeton hockey fans for $75.

Mike Schafer is big on traditon and each player is assigned to study up on either (I forget which, someone correct me here) a previoius Cornell player or Cornell players who wore his jersey number. It would be great for tradition if the names of some or all of the previous holders of the jersey numbers were stitched in small lettering on the jerseys, small enough so the NCAA rules-nannies don't have a fit, big enough so it's a reminder of the tradition every time you put the jersey on.

(Not to encourage copyright / trademark infringement, but here's how): If the jersey you own lacks a patch you want, say "Final Four 2003," there are sewing machines, both personal and the commercial kinds a tailor or seamstress has, that embroider not just from mechanical patterns but also from bitmap images. If one were to scan or download an image (resolution isn't all that crucial because embroidery is a bit inexact) you could get it the missing logo in short order. And/or you could inkjet print it on transfer sheets and print onto fabric (like T-shirt transfers) and then stitch that to the jersey.

This would also be the way to get the sport shirt you want with the lettering or logo you want if, say, the Cornell Campus Store lacks the style or quality you're looking for. You can look at is theft of valuable Cornell rights or bringing competition to the logo'd sportswear business. Cornell would not see it that way.

Date: February 17, 2005 04:33PM

[Q]Nate 04 Wrote:

It might not look all that great to say "Hey Prez, here's your hockey jersey, sorry we couldn't get you a new one, we could only find you this used one." I'm sure he'd love it, but there's probably some principle involved....and anyways, more for us![/q]

"...and enjoy your swim in the jersey ya midget!" ;-)

We can't give him Topher's jersey until next year.

Date: February 17, 2005 04:33PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

BTW seniors (on the team) get to keep one of their jerseys, don't they? [/q]
i believe they get the opportunity to purchase them after season.

Date: February 17, 2005 04:42PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

One wishes Cornell offered new, unworn game jerseys in sizes that look good (don't droop) when you're not wearing shoulder and elbow pads. Some people prefer really large sportswear; others don't want stuff that comes to your knees. If Topher wears his game-worn jersey over street clothes, it's a wonder he doesn't trip on the hem walking up Libe Slope.[/q]
What you want is a high-quality replica: a jersey that would look right on a midget playing an actual game of hockey. Not clear how big the market for these is, because (a) they don't look substantially better than/different from cheap replicas (okay, okay... with the right coloring on the sleeves) at a distance, and (b) they would cost a lot more due to their hardier construction.

I personally don't mind wearing an oversized, game-worn jersey---a size 56 jersey does in fact look like a dress on me---complete with scuffs and all, but I also wear them with pads when I'm at stick practice, which would not be possible with a streetclothes-sized replica.

[q]It would also be nice if Cornell sold a classic jersey, say the one worn by the 1967 or 1970 team. Note Princeton is doing a special run of an old jersey for (how many can there be) Princeton hockey fans for $75. [/q]
Agreed. Cornell sometime in the past wore the style with the lace-up collar, right? I seem to recall seeing one of those at one point.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 04:46PM

ivysport.com has "vintage" CU jerseys, including a hockey sweater, which they claim is authentic to 1958

[ivysport.com]

all the vintage items:

[ivysport.com]

Date: February 17, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

What you want is a high-quality replica: a jersey that would look right on a midget playing an actual game of hockey. Not clear how big the market for these is, because (a) they don't look substantially better than/different from cheap replicas (okay, okay... with the right coloring on the sleeves) at a distance, and (b) they would cost a lot more due to their hardier construction.
[/Q]
Personally, I think the Koronis replicas that they sell at the Campus store and various online vendors are very good quality. They can be purchased everywhere from Youth Small to Adult XXL.

[www.koronisjerseys.com] is just one place online you can buy them from.

Certainly better quality than the only replicas available in 1995. The jersey I wore senior year was this thin, shiny material with silkscreened letters that looked pink because the red color bled through the letters.

[Q]
It would also be nice if Cornell sold a classic jersey, say the one worn by the 1967 or 1970 team. Note Princeton is doing a special run of an old jersey for (how many can there be) Princeton hockey fans for $75. [/Q]
Agreed. Cornell sometime in the past wore the style with the lace-up collar, right? I seem to recall seeing one of those at one point.[/q]

[ivysport.com]

I saw someone wearing one of these standing above Section G for the Colgate game. As the description states, it's a 1958 style.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 05:02PM

[Q]Cornell sometime in the past wore the style with the lace-up collar, right? I seem to recall seeing one of those at one point.[/q] You're perhaps thinking of team pictures where the second line of type after the "Cornell" part said "NCAA Champion" or "NCAA Runner-Up." Thus the lace-up jerseys may have some sentimental interest to old guard hockey fans who like insanely great Cornell hockey teams.

See photo from history section of 2003-04 hockey press guide (this section of 2005 guide wasn't there moments ago): [graphics.fansonly.com]

Date: February 17, 2005 09:02PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Certainly better quality than the only replicas available in 1995. The jersey I wore senior year was this thin, shiny material with silkscreened letters that looked pink because the red color bled through the letters.
[/q]

I have one of those that I still wear to games not involving Cornell. It has sentimental value because Mom bought it for me after the November 1995 Harvard game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 09:04PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:35PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Certainly better quality than the only replicas available in 1995. The jersey I wore senior year was this thin, shiny material with silkscreened letters that looked pink because the red color bled through the letters.[/q]
Silkscreened? If they're from the same era as my old replica (which is also circa 1995---label says "Athletic Knit"---now hanging in my front window), they are sewn on, but are very thin fabric so they look light pink. It is of the "air conditioned" variety (loose mesh, like some athletic shorts you can buy).

Cheers,
Kyle
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 10:35PM by krose.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:45PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Cornell sometime in the past wore the style with the lace-up collar, right? I seem to recall seeing one of those at one point.[/Q]
You're perhaps thinking of team pictures where the second line of type after the "Cornell" part said "NCAA Champion" or "NCAA Runner-Up." Thus the lace-up jerseys may have some sentimental interest to old guard hockey fans who like insanely great Cornell hockey teams.

See photo from history section of 2003-04 hockey press guide (this section of 2005 guide wasn't there moments ago): [/q]

The Dryden and McCutheon photos have the lace-up collar, but the Kennedy one does not. The alleged replica 1958 jersy linked to elsewhere in the thread has the lace-up.

Date: February 17, 2005 10:51PM

[Q]krose Wrote:

RichH Wrote:

Certainly better quality than the only replicas available in 1995. The jersey I wore senior year was this thin, shiny material with silkscreened letters that looked pink because the red color bled through the letters.[/Q]
Silkscreened? If they're from the same era as my old replica (which is also circa 1995---label says "Athletic Knit"---now hanging in my front window), they are sewn on, but are very thin fabric so they look light pink. It is of the "air conditioned" variety (loose mesh, like some athletic shorts you can buy).
[/q]

IIRC they had two different replicas for sale at the time, one screened and one sewn. Rich and I must have the cheap ones. (Being a grad student, I thought--gasp!--$35 was an awful lot for a hockey jersey.)

Date: February 18, 2005 12:42AM

[Q]krose Wrote:

Silkscreened? If they're from the same era as my old replica (which is also circa 1995---label says "Athletic Knit"---now hanging in my front window), they are sewn on, but are very thin fabric so they look light pink. It is of the "air conditioned" variety (loose mesh, like some athletic shorts you can buy).[/q]

Yes, definitely screened. JTW is correct in saying there were 2 versions of the Athletic Knit brand. In fact, I have both the silkscreened and the sewn lettering versions. The screened one I bought probably my Junior year (1994-95), and I bought the sewn one at the final ECAC QF game vs. Harvard in 1997. That one is a heavier athletic mesh. I got #96 sewn on it at PSP and still wear it to games.

In the next jersey thread, I'll get into the variations on the font used to spell "Cornell" ;-)

Posted by: WC ' 83 (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:07PM

The ECAC patches can be purchased by mailing $3.50 each, specify red or white to:

Richard Haemmerle
31 8th Street
Building 4
Passaic, New Jersey 07055
973 365 1123

Also include $1.50 each for handling, he does not take credit cards

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 02:06PM

Keep in mind, the Big Red Wings jerseys are worn by a Cornell hockey team. Since Mel Davidson took over as coach the women's hockey team has worn something more or less like the Red Wings prints. So Lehman's jersey is official, just not for the men's side. For all we know, it might've been a game-worn women's jersey, although I highly doubt it. For one thing, men's hockey is the premier sport at Cornell. Also, IIRC the women's jerseys are typically donated to the Tompkins Girls Hockey Association, although I'm sure they'd make an exception for the new university president.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.yw.yu.edu)
Date: February 24, 2005 03:03PM

[Q]WC ' 83 Wrote:
The ECAC patches can be purchased by mailing $3.50 each, specify red or white to:

Richard Haemmerle
31 8th Street
Building 4
Passaic, New Jersey 07055
973 365 1123

Also include $1.50 each for handling, he does not take credit cards
[/q]This is the same seller information I had a couple of years ago, but the pricing isn't the same as I remember. Since it's essentially a flat $5 per patch regardless of how many you order, I'm going to scrap the idea of doing a group order. Not worth it to coordinate transferring money and patches if it's not going to save anyone any money.

Posted by: TShen (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:23PM

BTW, it seems the Red Wings once wore the same style jersey as Cornell's home uni decades ago. It was one of the optional jerseys in ESPN's NHL 2k4. Technically, Cornell wears the old school Big Red Wing jersey.

Date: February 25, 2005 12:53PM

Frankly, I think that's a little unnecessarily purist. I bought my #18 with the intention of putting a Sancimino nameplate on it rather than Iggulden. I don't have any sense of obligation to put Iggy's name on it just because I didn't have the opportunity to buy a genuine Sancimino-worn jersey back in the mid-90s. And while I think Iggy's fantastic, I bought the #18 because of Sancimino.

(Actually, I was tempted to put "Rocke" on it just so I'd have the excuse to tell Damien's story if anyone asked me who he was.) laugh

I would never put my own name on a game-worn jersey, and I don't care for it when other people do, but I would never suggest that it's wrong.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 25, 2005 01:06PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:
billhoward Wrote:
BTW seniors (on the team) get to keep one of their jerseys, don't they? [/Q]
i believe they get the opportunity to purchase them after season.[/q]
The couple of times I've been to the banquet, Coach has presented each senior with his jersey, mounted and framed. I don't know if each senior was required to pay for that in advance, but I suspect it wasn't the case.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:17PM

Same with the fuhball players.

Date: February 25, 2005 01:49PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

(Actually, I was tempted to put "Rocke" on it just so I'd have the excuse to tell Damien's story if anyone asked me who he was.) [/q]

Okay, I'll bite. Who is Rocke and what's the story?

Date: February 25, 2005 02:07PM

Folks like Trotsky & Fenwick, please correct me if I get the details wrong.

By late in the 1996-97 season, the team had been plagued by injury to the point where Schafer brought in Damien Rocke, a member of Cornell's soccer team who had a little hockey experience, to skate with the guys in practice just so there'd be enough warm bodies on the ice to do all the drills.

Feb. 21, we visited Union, and they clearly had our number; it was really dispiriting and demoralizing. By the middle of the third period, we were down by several goals (the final score was 7-1, but I don't remember when exactly we scored), and nothing seemed to be making the guys click.

So Schafer sent Damien Rocke onto the ice. Whether it was a matter of "What could it hurt?" or something more akin to "Go out there and cause trouble 'cause you're expendable," we may never know. But during his first and only shift as a college varsity hockey player, Rocke slammed a Dutchman into the boards head first for a major and a misconduct.

Damien Rocke's Div. I career: 0:00:45 playing time, 15:00 PIM.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 25, 2005 02:08PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
(Actually, I was tempted to put "Rocke" on it just so I'd have the excuse to tell Damien's story if anyone asked me who he was.)
[/q]

I'm happy to have "Oates" on my jersey, but it was annoying how many people last weekend thought it was an Adam Oates jersey.

Rich, has the POST! page gone away?

Date: February 25, 2005 02:56PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Rich, has the POST! page gone away?[/q]

Sure looks that way, as a couple of quick searches turned up fruitless.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:24PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

So Schafer sent Damien Rocke onto the ice. Whether it was a matter of "What could it hurt?" or something more akin to "Go out there and cause trouble 'cause you're expendable," we may never know. But during his first and only shift as a college varsity hockey player, Rocke slammed a Dutchman into the boards head first for a major and a misconduct.

Damien Rocke's Div. I career: 0:00:45 playing time, 15:00 PIM.

Beeeej[/q]Schafer has a copycat in Philadelphia.

Date: February 25, 2005 04:26PM

Care to reproduce here? I don't mind registering for free websites generally, but I don't like giving out my address.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:36PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Care to reproduce here? I don't mind registering for free websites generally, but I don't like giving out my address.

Beeeej[/q]

I'm fairly certain that's a reference to the John Chaney stuff going on.

Date: February 25, 2005 04:44PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej[/q]

The link ugarte posted produced a story for me with no registration. Also, ever try bugmenot.com?

Date: February 25, 2005 07:28PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

Beeeej Wrote:

Beeeej[/Q]
I'm fairly certain that's a reference to the John Chaney stuff going on.[/q]Good call, CULater.

I don't get a registration request either, Beeeej. But you asked for it (and I provided the link first) so here it is:

Miscarriage of justice by Richard Hoffman
CHANEY MOCKS GAME WITH HIS GOON TACTICS

AS ANYBODY who likes John Chaney can tell you, it is easier to like him on some days than others. Because his passion for justice, in all of its forms, is as admirable a quality as you're going to find in a public person. And, because, his blindness in pursuit of that justice sometimes threatens to overshadow all of the good.

With that, this was another Chaney moment - Temple-Saint Joseph's, playing for the second time in 2 weeks.

It began with Chaney, less than 5 minutes into the second half, being restrained by players and assistant coaches as he argued with the officials about what he felt were illegal screens that weren't being called on the Hawks. It continued with Chaney sending in 6-8, 250-pound senior forward Nehemiah Ingram to throw elbows and ask questions later.

Ingram hit everything that moved and fouled out in 4 minutes (including a technical foul). Chaney saw it as rough justice, but it wasn't. Instead, whether he knew it or not, he was mocking the game that has been his life.

"I'm sending a message,'' Chaney said. "And I'm going to send in what we used to do years ago - send in the goons. That's what I'm going to do. That's what you used to do...

"I've got me two of them on my bench and I'm going to use them. We try to play the game right. But when you've got two screens set up, and they're moving, there's only one person who used to set up screens like that, and that was Bob Knight, and he got away with it. The Celtics used to do it, they got away with it.

"I'm from the old school,'' he said. "I tried to play it right, but no more. No more.''

Ingram's last foul, a shove as the Hawks' John Bryant was making a basket underneath, left Bryant sprawled out among the cheerleaders for a couple of minutes. After the game, St. Joe's coach Phil Martelli said Bryant was fine, but he looked hurt at the time, and later on the bench.

To which, Chaney replied, "That's what happens. That's what happens. I'm a mean, ornery, son of a bitch. You understand? When I see something wrong, I try to right it. I try to do the same thing they're doing.

"You ask me what's happening in the game? Illegal screens should never happen in the game.''

As he entered the interview room, Chaney was bellowing at Linda Bruno, the Atlantic 10 commissioner, about the officials. He asked her for Big Ten officials the next time, or ACC officials. He asked her loudly. Little did he know that two of last night's officials, Jim Burr and Mike Sanzere, also work in the Big Ten, and that the other official, Karl Hess, also works in the ACC. Oh, well.

It still made for some great theater, as Chaney moments often do. Then Bruno and everyone else listened to see if Chaney would admit the obvious - that he sent Ingram into the game as a guided missile and nothing more.

Admit it? There was never a question, seeing as how Chaney essentially promised to do the self-same thing on a Monday conference call with Atlantic 10 reporters. This was not some heat-of-the-moment overreaction to another tough game - oh, and by the way, the Hawks again beat the Owls last night, 63-56. This was a planned response if the officiating went the way Chaney suspected it would.

Asked if he was concerned about the game when he sent in a kid for the simple purpose of gooning it up, Chaney bristled.

"I'm worried about what happens when officials apply a different measurement for one team as opposed to another,'' he said. "You can protect shooters in a legal way, not illegal. I respect a team that plays as a team, but a moving screen is a moving screen...

"I'm also going to send a message to everybody in our league that when we come to play, we're going to set them, too. I'm not going to have my guys getting hurt. The last time, the guy hit Mardy [Collins, Temple's leading scorer] with a hip at the Palestra. No! The guy's standing there, looking at it! No, I don't play that game.''

Later, Chaney would call the original question - about whether he was concerned about the game when he pulled something like this - an "intellectually dishonest'' question. But it really wasn't. Because this was a Big 5 game, and Chaney and Hawks coach Phil Martelli are longtime friends and admirers of each other, and this was just wrong. There is a difference between an illegal screen and a thrown elbow. There is a different intent, and there is a different result.

"What difference is it? What difference is it? Tell me,'' Chaney kept saying, as if it wasn't obvious. But it wasn't, not to him, not on this night.

You couldn't help but be reminded of some long-forgotten outrages in Chaney's career, when his quest for justice got in the way of his common sense. People who talk about the old man getting old really don't get it, because Chaney has been doing this stuff forever. If you closed your eyes last night, you could have been in Morgantown in the mid-1980s, with Chaney calling an official a "bleeping Jesse James.'' This really is back to the future, even if Nehemiah Ingram wasn't born when Chaney started pulling this stuff.

Injustice always has been his target, and outrage always has been his fuel - and the man does stand for great things. But there always has been this fear shared by the people who really like Chaney, that one of these moments would serve to trivialize a great and successful career.

Moments. Last night, Chaney was as wrong as he was unapologetic. Asked about the crudeness of Ingram's elbow-throwing, the man who sent him out there to play the goon said, "Yeah. We're just going to have to teach him how to do it a little bit better.''

Philadelphia Daily News, 2/23/05

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2005 07:33PM by ugarte.

Date: October 24, 2005 04:51PM

Anyone know if the process for getting game-worn jerseys has changed? I checked the eLynah FAQs to get the lowdown and have sent a couple e-mails to the gentleman from the equipment room mentioned there, but so far to no avail.

I'd love to get one as a present for my daughter (aka Little Killer), but being in the Boston area, and not getting response to my inquiries, I'm a bit stymied.

Any info or assitance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Killer

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:15PM

[Q]Anyone know if the process for getting game-worn jerseys has changed? I checked the eLynah FAQs to get the lowdown and have sent a couple e-mails to the gentleman from the equipment room mentioned there, but so far to no avail.[/q]Ditto on that. I've sent one email with no response either. Can anyone check with the equipment room and let Killer and I know so we can get ours before the floodgates open?

[q]Any info or assitance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.[/q]Ditto on that too.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 12:33PM

Generally they don't get their new uniforms until a little bit into the season. Then after that it takes them a few weeks to take the nameplates off of the jerseys so that they are available for sale. You are best off visiting in person and asking him when he thinks they will be available.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 25, 2005 05:41PM

I spoke with Mr. Reynolds the Friday of Homecoming weekend, and he told me:

A) This season's new jerseys had not yet arrived at that point, meaning last season's jerseys were not yet being sold, and
B) He does not usually respond to emails, so you're better off stopping by or having someone do so on your behalf.

Date: October 25, 2005 06:27PM

Good to know. Thanks.

Now I need to find someone local who might be willing to help out. It's a bit of a schlepp from Boston to Lynah. ;-)

Posted by: jaybert (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2005 06:34PM

well, i'm going to try and pick up a game worn jersey + goto boston quite often.

i'll keep an eye out when they on sale...maybe i can help you out as long we dont end up gunning for the same # :)

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login