Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT: Sun typo? Or just a joke? (Or stupidity?)

Posted by Jordan 04 
OT: Sun typo? Or just a joke? (Or stupidity?)
Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: February 09, 2005 11:32AM

While taking a few minutes this morning to browse through the Cornell Sun for the first time in a few moons, I couldn't help but notice a quote from basketball senior Cody Toppert:

[q]"All of our players are well-rounded in all fascists of the game," Toppert said. "We all know everyone on the court can make plays, and it's fun to play basketball that way."[/q]

A second look just now reveals that the error has been corrected, leading me to believe (or at least hope) that somebody simply did that as a joke online this morning. I am very curious to know what the print version of today's Sun reads. Anybody have it handy?

Ok, carry on...

Re: OT: Sun typo? Or just a joke? (Or stupidity?)
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 12:15PM

Seems to me this is a case of bad reliance on spell checkers. Microsoft Word corrects "fascit" to "fascist", which is one possibility.

Relying on spell checkers can get you in trouble. Or at least make you look like an idiot sometimes.

Posted by: faithful07 (---)
Date: February 09, 2005 12:44PM

It's spelled "fascist" in the print version as well...Oops. snore

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 09, 2005 01:39PM

Does Prince Harry go to Cornell? worry

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 02:18PM

When the mind drifts, sometimes one can think of one word and type a similar. I think it happens more with age although this wouldn't be the Sun's excuse.

Sometimes the writer just gets it plain wrong. A while back, a writer for Automotive News quoted David E. Davis, the learned editor of Automobile, excoriating the do-gooders and "Savannah Rollers" at NHTSA. The word Davis actually used was "savonarolas."

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: February 09, 2005 03:11PM

Of course, it's the copy editor's job to catch this. One night (the night Derrick Coleman punched out Josh Wexler in the Carrier Dome), a sports columnist wrote "for all intensive purposes". Fortunately, an editor checked the article on the flats so it could be corrected to "for all intents and purposes".

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 05:18PM

How dare you point out an error in a Sun article without also pointing out everything the article got right?!rolleyes

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 06:10PM

There is a lot of pressure to move a lot of manuscript in a short period of time at a newspaper. Not everyone at newspapers graduated in the top half of their classes. Not everyone is sober after coming back from lunch ("lunch" is the meal eaten or drunk halfway through shift regardless of the time of day or night). It truly is the first [rough] draft of history. Most of them are well-meaning. The pay sucks.

In earlier days I was sometimes guilty of sloppy editing, although I was also accused of seeing the glitches and letting them go through deliberately to (allegedly) embarrass the authors:

A recipe for crap dip

A performance by the high school drug and bugle corps

Sister Maria Annunciata of Chicopee Mass at the invocation of the Pope sat next to the "King and Queen of Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella." (this one made the New Yorker under the heading, "Rip Van Winkle Dept, Hispanioc Division";)

a) the recipe wasn't that good, b) i think that's not necessarily inaccurate, and c) the author had yelled across the newsroom to me, the Ivy League know-it-all, "Ferdinand-I.isabella, King-Queen of Spain, right?" I presumed she was verifying a barroom bet, not asking the names of the *current* monarchs.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 05:40PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

When the mind drifts, sometimes one can think of one word and type a similar. I think it happens more with age although this wouldn't be the Sun's excuse. [/q]
Cowbellguy's a commie? Nobody tell facetimer, it'll be all over. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login