Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Poor Ice Surface

Posted by Brian 
Poor Ice Surface
Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 10:56AM

After reading the article on USCHO, I am curious if there is a problem with freezing the ice at Lynah. Coach mentioned that he was trying to get the refs attention about the ice conditions in the Colgate game and eventually led to the second Colgate goal. Curious if that was caused by the zamboni drivers error when he had to do a u-turn to get the patch that he missed or is it lynah's ice surface/freezing equipment?

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Poor Ice Surface
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:04PM

One would hope it wasn't because of the refrigeration equipment, since it was just replaced a couple years ago.

Posted by: A-19 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:09PM

i hope it wasn't dave's fault!

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:49PM

The start of one of the periods on Saturday was held up because the refs were working on the ice surface. I think it was the 2nd, but it may have been the 3rd. They had scraped a portion of the ice in the faceoff circle nearest to Section K, and were patting it down with a puck. Dave's U-turn was made on the other side of the slot.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.msc.cornell.edu)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:00PM

The ice seemed to not be the best for that game. I think I remember them fixing the ice twice during it. Also, people were falling down left and right, with or without help from the other team. Over by the teams benches, the ice had gotten scraped down enough to the point where the red from the center red line was coming up and coloring the boards red nearby.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:02PM

The Journal quoted Mike Schafer as implying the ice conditons may have been linked to the Colgate second, game-tying goal [www.theithacajournal.com] ... but the Journal was quick to note other causes of that goal.

[q]Schafer said the Big Red was a victim of some bad luck on Colgate's second goal.

"The second goal, was really, really frustrating," he said. "People were probably wondering what the delay was (the third period started a few moments late). As we came out, there was a lot of water laying around (on top of the ice). Our defense got a real bead on the puck going down (in the Cornell zone). And the puck hit a patch of water and stops and causes a turnover. And a good team, they capitalized on their chance. We wanted to get the refs attention to let the ice dry, and worst-case scenario, and it happens."

Of course, the obstruction-interference penalty on Ryan O'Byrne in the final seconds of the second period and an unmarked Burton, allowing an easy rebound chance, also happened. [/q]
(Nice of the Journal to parenthetically explain that standing water laid down by the Zamboni accumulates on the top (as opposed to the bottom?) of the ice surface.)

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 06:37PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

After reading the article on USCHO, I am curious if there is a problem with freezing the ice at Lynah. Coach mentioned that he was trying to get the refs attention about the ice conditions in the Colgate game and eventually led to the second Colgate goal. Curious if that was caused by the zamboni drivers error when he had to do a u-turn to get the patch that he missed or is it lynah's ice surface/freezing equipment?
[/q]

Wasn't it unusually warm this weekend after being frigid cold?

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:00PM

maybe it was related to the zamboni make 2 extra runs in that corner because of missing a spot in the goal mouth.. looping around had to add some extra water on that side of the ice..

Posted by: Cisco (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 12:37AM

I sit on the glass in Section G - right in front of the fateful puddle in fact. (R1, S3). I saw the whole fateful turn of events (bad pun). Dave the Zam master missed a two inch swath in the middle, made a u-turn, came back around and laid and unusual extra-layer of water in this exact corner.

I notice the ice after most periods and it freezes just fine. Howeve, that extra turn was the cuase, for there was a TON of water still sitting there. The puck stopped, the turnover happened, and the rest is history.

The first two peroids had no problem in this area of the ice. I suspect the fearless Zam driver got a bit of a talking to after this one. Schaeffer in the Ithaca Journal is absolutely right - the water caused the turnover. And that water was our own Zam drivers doing.

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 12:26PM

It doesn't HAVE to add extra water since the driver controls how much water the zamboni puts down.

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 01:00PM

True, but there did seem to be a lot of water left after he made his sweep to clean up his error. In the past I have seen people come out with squeegies (not sure about sp.) to clean up any excess water. Whey didn't they check it to make sure?

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:57AM

Schafer got this week's "Bench Minor" in the INCH column for "complaining" about the ice surface. Maybe I'm biased but I don't see what the big deal is. He wasn't whining and complaining, just stating that it was frustrating. Seems like whenever somebody speaks their mind to the press they get trashed. Then the media wonders why everyone they interview just speaks in cliches rolleyes

[www.insidecollegehockey.com]

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:10AM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Schafer got this week's "Bench Minor" in the INCH column for "complaining" about the ice surface. Maybe I'm biased but I don't see what the big deal is. He wasn't whining and complaining, just stating that it was frustrating. Seems like whenever somebody speaks their mind to the press they get trashed. Then the media wonders why everyone they interview just speaks in cliches.[/q]
how's this for a cliche ... Inside College Hockey is a rag and they couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the wall. carry on :-)

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:35AM

[Q]how's this for a cliche ... Inside College Hockey is a rag and they couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the wall. carry on :-)[/Q]

Excellent point :-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:16PM

Yeah, that's not a chiche. It's a statement of fact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login