Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the pros - Feb '05

Posted by mgl11 
Alumni in the pros - Feb '05
Posted by: mgl11 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 11:32PM

Underhill just got called up to the St. John's Maple Leafs

[www.msseawolves.com]

Re: Alumni in the pros - Feb '05
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 12:42AM

The baby Leafs seem to already have three goalies on their roster. I have to figure one of them is either hurt or traded but even so I can't see Underhill getting much playing time unfortunately. But you never know.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: February 03, 2005 02:35AM

Or maybe Toronto is expecting to have a training camp very soon!

Date: February 03, 2005 03:20AM

Given the recent posts in the latest thread about the NHL negotiations, I'll believe it when I see it... :`(

Date: February 03, 2005 09:00AM

Paolini also got called up to AHL -- with San Antonio.

For 1 game...and has been returned to the ECHL
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 09:03AM by mgl11.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 05:41PM

Cleveland and Chicago have played twice in the past two days. Cleveland won 3-2 without Murray in the lineup on Friday night (Bâby finished at +1 with 0 pts). Today, Cleveland won 2-1 (oddly...Murray was playing, Bâby was not).

Utah lost to Edmonton on Friday night, 1-0. JMP stopped 35 of 36 shots in the loss. His Edmonton counterpart, Mike Morrison (who played for Maine, if I remember correctly), stopped 19 of 19 in the shutout.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2005 05:44PM by DisplacedCornellian.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.2.156.11.lightlink.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:37PM

JMP traded back to Springfield for Jamie Storr

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:27PM

Sounds like they are putting all there faith into Lenny, although I don't know much about Storr. I do know that JMP has been playing very well this year. screwy

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:42PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Sounds like they are putting all there faith into Lenny, although I don't know much about Storr. I do know that JMP has been playing very well this year. [/q]

Jamie Storr was traded on loan from Springfield to Utah for Jean-Marc Pelltier. In an effort to change their fortunes the two AHL clubs exchanged struggling goaltenders. We doubt the trade will make much of a difference to either.

There you go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2005 01:42PM by atb9.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:56PM

I'm not very familiar with how trades work in the AHL. Is trading on loan like this a common procedure? Are clauses built in to make the trade permanent should both clubs agree?

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:23PM

Maybe they are not struggling goaltenders, maybe it's the defense in front of them!

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:36PM

[Q]Brian Wrote:

Maybe they are not struggling goaltenders, maybe it's the defense in front of them![/q]

That certainly was mostly the case for utah when I saw them play.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 12:01AM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Sounds like they are putting all there faith into Lenny, although I don't know much about Storr. I do know that JMP has been playing very well this year. [/Q]
Jamie Storr was traded on loan from Springfield to Utah for Jean-Marc Pelltier. In an effort to change their fortunes the two AHL clubs exchanged struggling goaltenders. We doubt the trade will make much of a difference to either.

There you go.[/q]

And after all this, Storr started for Utah tonight, and JMP started for Springfield. Storr stopped 40 of 42 shots in a 5-2 Utah win. JMP faced the same number of shots, but only stopped 38 of them, as Springfield lost 4-1.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 12:17AM

[Q]Will Wrote:

I'm not very familiar with how trades work in the AHL. Is trading on loan like this a common procedure? Are clauses built in to make the trade permanent should both clubs agree?[/q]
Loaning player, as part of a 'trade' or not, is pretty common in the AHL. If the club has a need, or the club can't fit a guy into their lineup, they may lend him away. After all, the Bruins couldn't care less if the Phantoms win the Calder Cup over the P-Bruins, so long as their prospects get the experience (not to say they don't try to put a good AHL club on the ice (usually), but they're it doesn't exactly effect their long term plans).

Now when I say its common, I don't mean most teams have several loaned guys. I mean that most teams are involved of one or two trades/loans of that nature every season or two - at least that's my very general estimate. So you're aware of it, but its not constantly going on.

If a 'swap' like that does work out, the two teams can feel free to work out a trade for the players to make it permanent, but I don't think the swap/loan agreement includes any such option itself.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 02:01AM

It's still an interesting situation. It certainly doesn't happen in baseball. It's probably a consequence of the less structured minor league/farm system that exists in hockey. I don't know if this is the case anymore, but there used to be AHL teams that were affiliated with multiple NHL teams. In that case you already have development collaboration with other franchises, so it's not too much of a stretch to have loans.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 04:55PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

It's still an interesting situation. It certainly doesn't happen in baseball. It's probably a consequence of the less structured minor league/farm system that exists in hockey. I don't know if this is the case anymore, but there used to be AHL teams that were affiliated with multiple NHL teams. In that case you already have development collaboration with other franchises, so it's not too much of a stretch to have loans.[/q]

It happens very frequently in the English Premier League when a player is not quite ready for "first team football" (being a starter) but has run his course playing with reserves. Often EPL teams will loan their young players to first or second division clubs to get starting experience. Loans also happen when a team is trying to get rid of a player but the purchasing club wants to guage the players commitment before making their own financial commitment.

I don't think Storr is being loaned to gain experience since he has played quite a few games for the Kings in the past. Management must have thought Lenny could learn more from Storr than he could from JMP.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 05:23PM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

It's still an interesting situation. It certainly doesn't happen in baseball. It's probably a consequence of the less structured minor league/farm system that exists in hockey. I don't know if this is the case anymore, but there used to be AHL teams that were affiliated with multiple NHL teams. In that case you already have development collaboration with other franchises, so it's not too much of a stretch to have loans.[/q]
30 NHL clubs, 28 AHL clubs - so there are still two dual affiliations

The Lowell Lock Monsters are Calgary and Carolina, and the Houston Aeros are Minnesota and Dallas.

[www.theahl.com]

The AHL's goal for a long time has been to be at 1:1, but the system doesn't seem quite stable enough to actually reach there (see the Saint John Flames last year). Anytime they get to 29 teams, someone cancels an affiliation causing the team to fold, or the team just folds. FYI, every AHL team must be the primary affiliate of some NHL team (Lowell & Houston are primary affiliates of two NHL teams) or they can't operate. That rule lead to the extinction of the most recent, and probably last ever, New Haven AHL team, when the Hurricanes pulled their affiliation, they had to suspend operations, and never could find anyone else. Similar thing with the Quebec whatevers (I forget, and even I remembered I don't think I could spell it) when Montreal pulled their affiliation.

They'll be back to 29 next year with a new team in Des Moines (yup, Iowa), and two teams moving, Worcester -> Peoria and St. John's (different than Saint John) -> Toronto (making 4 NHL cities with AHL teams - Phily, Chicago, Edmonton, and Toronto - all except Chicago are their respective affiliates).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2005 05:27PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:37PM

[Q]Jacob '06 Wrote:

Brian Wrote:

Maybe they are not struggling goaltenders, maybe it's the defense in front of them![/Q]
That certainly was mostly the case for utah when I saw them play.[/q]

And when I saw them play @Hartford.

If there's one thing I've learned from going from Cornell Hockey to watching AHL games, it's that I have a newfound appreciation for Schafer's attention to defense.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:02PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:
If there's one thing I've learned from going from Cornell Hockey to watching AHL games, it's that I have a newfound appreciation for Schafer's attention to defense.[/q]

I've reaffirmed my appreciation for the automatic DQ for fighting.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:02PM

Fighting? What AHL game do you know had a fight in it? Unheard of.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:08PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

Fighting? What AHL game do you know had a fight in it? Unheard of.[/q]

I'm not sure there was actually a game that day. Perhaps we just went to a boxing match at the Civic Center by mistake.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 14, 2005 02:38AM

There's no fighting in AHL games.

A better way to put it would be that AHL games are interspersed in the middle of long periods of fighting.

Date: February 22, 2005 08:14AM

Underhill got signed to another AHL PTO -- w/ Providence this time

[www.providencebruins.com]

Posted by: The Rancor (---.atlsfl.adelphia.net)
Date: March 03, 2005 01:38AM

lenny gets his first pro assist in a loss to chicago, he made 29 saves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login