Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Frozen Four at Ford Field?

Posted by nyc94 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Frozen Four at Ford Field?
Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 07:25PM

At least the odds of getting tickets improves.

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Frozen Four at Ford Field?
Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 07:47PM

An ice hockey NCAA championship in a football stadium seating 65,000-75,000 would be a very cool publicity stunt in a year when Cornell wasn't in the final four and none of us had tickets, either. Because the view for everybody other than the goal judges would be lousy. It would be fine to watch on TV.

Downtown Detroit is a city always looking for some stunt to make everyone forget for a bit what a crummy city Detroit has been and may continue to be for the forseeable future. It will get better maybe around the time GM, Ford and Chrysler get their collective acts together and that's going to be, when, never?

The NCAA can sell out an 18,000 seat stadium for the Frozen Four, but I don't think there are another 50,000 people dying to get tickets. It would be embarrassing to have, say, 26,000 people rattling around the stadium.

Can anyone say, "Trial balloon"?

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 09:53PM

I agree that a 65,000-seat stadium will be awfully hard to fill for a Frozen Four, but seeking a maximum crowd is certainly a noble goal. If research indicates that the right number is between 20,000 and 65,000, an indoor football facility may be configured to accommodate that count a la the Carrier Dome for basketball.

Posted by: ben03 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:09PM

[Q]Scott Kominkiewicz Wrote:

I agree that a 65,000-seat stadium will be awfully hard to fill for a Frozen Four, but seeking a maximum crowd is certainly a noble goal. If research indicates that the right number is between 20,000 and 65,000, an indoor football facility may be configured to accommodate that count a la the Carrier Dome for basketball. [/q]
seating ~33,000+ in it's basketball (/hockey) set-up and a location easily accessable from all directions (sitauted on both I-90 and I-81) you may be on to something that has more teeth than some might give it credit. i'd love to see a FF in Syracuse.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:10PM

Heck, Cornell could even host it.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: February 02, 2005 10:11PM

... maybe even Cornell/Colgate nut
not to mention all those seats the Faithful could fill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2005 10:18PM by ben03.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 10:21PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

... maybe even Cornell/Colgate
not to mention all those seats the Faithful could fill[/q]

Even more nut :

Hosted at Syracuse University by Cornell University and Colgate University. Oy.

Date: February 02, 2005 10:27PM

[Q]atb9 Wrote:
ben03 Wrote:
not to mention all those seats the Faithful could fill[/Q]
Even more :
Hosted at Syracuse University by Cornell University and Colgate University. Oy.[/q]
i know i know it's like a monkey f'ing a football ... but syracuse is a great sports town and i think they'd support it whole-heartedly.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: February 03, 2005 09:09AM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

atb9 Wrote:
ben03 Wrote:
not to mention all those seats the Faithful could fill[/Q]
Even more :
Hosted at Syracuse University by Cornell University and Colgate University. Oy.[/Q]
i know i know it's like a monkey f'ing a football ... but syracuse is a great sports town and i think they'd support it whole-heartedly.[/q]

Did you ever go to the Syracuse Invitational Tournament?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: February 03, 2005 09:18AM

Detroit may not be a garden spot, but it's probably the most rabid hockey town in the country. The Wings have tremendous support, and after years of disappointing Lions and Tigers teams, hockey is THE sport in Detroit. If you're going to try to pull off a stunt like this, Detroit is as likely a spot as any. That said, one wonders what the practical limit for the size of a hockey venue is. At what distance does the sport lose its visceral feel? I've attached a couple of images that might give some perspective - Ford Field set up for b'ball and a shot of Spartan Stadium when MSU and UM played there a few years ago. The "Cold War" game pulled in 72,000 fans.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 10:08AM by ninian '72.

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 09:28AM

I gotta imagine it gets easy to lose track of where the puck is up when watching from the nosebleed sections. Maybe they can make it glow or something, like Fox (ABC?) tried to do years ago in their NHL broadcasts.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 03, 2005 09:30AM

[Q]ninian '72 Wrote:
That said, one wonders what the practical limit for the size of a hockey venue is. At what distance does the sport lose its visceral feel?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/03/05 09:22AM by ninian '72.[/q]
Maybe they can design a puck that will leave a flaming trail behind it so folks in the stands will be able to see where it is. :-O

Posted by: nyc94 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 10:00AM

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:
Maybe they can design a puck that will leave a flaming trail behind it so folks in the stands will be able to see where it is.[/q]

A tennis ball soaked in alcohol yields a lovely low blue flame - a little driveway game to pass the early evening hours as a high schooler in suburbia.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 02:55AM

Well, it's that much closer to reality, now that the NCAA has announced six finalists to host the Frozen Fours from 2009-2011:

[www.uscho.com]

Boston - TD Bank North Garden (host: Hockey East/Boston University)
Detroit - Ford Field (CCHA) (2010-2011 only)
Philadelphia, Pa. - Wachovia Center (MAAC/Canisius/Niagara)
St. Paul, Minn. - Xcel Energy Center (University of Minnesota)
Tampa, Fla. - St. Pete Times Forum (Alabama-Huntsville)
Washington, D.C. - MCI Center (Atlantic Hockey/Naval Academy)

I'd vote for D.C., Philly, and St. Paul. Also note the bids turned down:
[Q]Among those ruled out: Sunrise, Fla.; San Antonio; Minneapolis; Columbus, Ohio; Auburn Hills, Mich.; and Buffalo, N.Y.[/Q]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 07:53AM

That would be great if they have it at the Wacko (though by the time the tourney rolls around, it will have gone through 3 bank name changes). I wouldn't even have to pay for a hotel room.

And given the stupidity of the Ford Field idea, that's just one less competitor for Philly. It does imply that St. Paul is locked in, since they're the only western location on the list besides the stupid idea.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 15, 2005 09:13AM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

[/q]

yark

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 09:51AM

Tampa might work out as well as Anaheim did a few years back (i.e., not well at all), but at least Tampa has the advantage of being in a warm place that people might actually want to go to in April. At least, being in Ithaca how most early Aprils go (i.e., not well at all, this year being a huge exception), maybe it's just appealing to me. :-D

If I were to guess, I would say Boston and St. Paul are virtually locks. I imagine that in those two cities, the NCAA is guaranteed to make a boatload of money, and both places have the added bonus of actually being appealing to large groups of college hockey fans. As for the third slot, it has to go to an eastern site, since the 2005-2008 Frozen Fours have been/will be held all at western sites (Columbus, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Denver). Philly and DC are likely the frontrunners for the third spot. I'd tend towards DC in that case, only because I think I'd have more fun in DC than in Philly, mainly because I've been to Philly more often than I've been to DC.

Posted by: dss28 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:27AM

Wonder why Buffalo was turned down? I thought, overall, they did a pretty good job with it in 2003.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 10:29AM

The DC area has a lot of alumni of certain schools (among them, Cornell), but the local interest outside of us would be less than zero.

I'd love to see the F4 come here for selfish reasons, but from an NCAA perspective I think it would be a mistake.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: April 15, 2005 01:02PM

I would also love to see the Frozen Four in DC, although I won't be here to enjoy it. At least the MCI Center is well situated in terms of the metro! (And near our favorite sports bar, Grand Slam :-})

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 01:09PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:
Wonder why Buffalo was turned down? I thought, overall, they did a pretty good job with it in 2003. [/q]

The facility did a pretty good job, but Buffalo itself was not prepared to be a host city. Finding a restaurant with less than a two-hour wait within five miles of the arena on game days was impossible. Downtown is simply in a persistent vegetative state, and I would imagine that weighed into the decision.

That, or they simply didn't make the cut of the six best options. That doesn't mean the NCAA thought they were a bad option.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: April 15, 2005 01:38PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

the local interest outside of us would be less than zero.[/q]

But save for Boston and the Twin Cities, that can be said for just about every host city. Cincinnati, Anaheim, St. Louis are the ones that stand out that what you said is true. Then there are the cities where there may be some conciousness that some local/state school has a hockey team, but beyond that, cluelessness: Columbus, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Denver.

You can also seperate them in terms of size. Cities the size of Providence, Buffalo, Albany, and Columbus actually crave and feel the economic impact of such an event in terms of hotels, restaurants, and tourism. The larger cities such as Philly, DC, LA, St. Louis, Denver can absorb such a thing without much notice.

In all cases, the local media almost always does a "hey, look at something cool coming here. We should all pay attention and learn something." story. LA included.

Believe it or not, I do think that the NCAA wants its fans and participants to have an enjoyable and unique experience (granted, not the top priority). DC would definetly give that. Many people in Columbus went through the "what do we do here when we aren't at the games??" conumdrum. So it just isn't about "will the locals care?" No matter where you go, the locals won't care. That's a fact about our sport. But if the NCAA considers "will the people coming into town enjoy the experience enough to spend a lot of money there?" DC and Philly are "yeses" and are accesible enough to a large enough fanbase to make it a full event.

It would be pretty boring to have it in Boston and the Twin Cities every other year. Or Colorado Springs every year, for that matter.

Date: April 15, 2005 01:52PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:
It would be pretty boring to have it in Boston and the Twin Cities every other year. Or Colorado Springs every year, for that matter.
[/q]

I disagree. I think rotating it between Boston, Detroit, Albany, and St. Paul/Colorado Springs on a four year cycle (or even a five year cycle, throwing the WCHA two bones) would be an outstanding way to balance the accretion of tradition with the desire to give fans of each conference accessibility. It isn't boring to have the conference tournies in the same place year after year -- it builds up a history and a tie between the local community and the event.

If the tourny has to wander, I'd prefer it stay away from large cities like DC, Philly, and NYC, where it is a drop in the bucket and will go utterly unnoticed (Boston and Detroit are obvious exceptions). The Frozen Four at MSG would make about as much of a splash as a boat show. At least when you get Columbus for the weekend you're the only game in town.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.rapiddevelopers.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 02:34PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:
If the tourny has to wander, I'd prefer it stay away from large cities like DC, Philly, and NYC, where it is a drop in the bucket and will go utterly unnoticed (Boston and Detroit are obvious exceptions). The Frozen Four at MSG would make about as much of a splash as a boat show. At least when you get Columbus for the weekend you're the only game in town.[/q]

The problem is, when you go to the smaller cities, you tend to end up with the same problem finding hotel rooms, restaurants without herculean wait times, and transportation. Even St. Paul, a great hockey town, had problems in 2002 because there are (or at least were) only a few restaurants within walking distance of the arena.

And don't discount the splash of a boat show. People go to that stuff in New York City just 'cause it's there.

Ultimately, who the hell cares if anyone else notices the tourney? It's there for us.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2005 02:55PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 02:46PM

[q]Ultimately, who the hell cares if anyone else notices the tourney? It's there for us. [/q]My feeling too. If too many people notice then we won't be able to get tickets.

Date: April 15, 2005 02:47PM

I wanna see it come to Hartford... :-)

There are definitely like... 2 restaurants you could go to... wait, maybe 1... okay, there are definitely restaurants throughout the state you could go to.... and hey, you're only 2 hours from both Boston and NYC... nut

Actually, in all seriousness, I think once the Civic Center finishes their renovations, Hartford could make a case for itself. Yaaaaay 2015!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 02:52PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

I wanna see it come to Hartford... [/q]

Okay, but if that happens, you're going to have to let 50 of us stay at your house. :-P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 15, 2005 03:15PM

[Q]Beeeej Wrote:
Ultimately, who the hell cares if anyone else notices the tourney? It's there for us.[/q]

In that case, I want it in Tuscany, Munich, and Aruba. ;-)

Date: April 15, 2005 03:29PM

Add me to the DC vote. In addition to proximity to Metro and a bunch of restaurants and hotels, MCI is a 5-minute walk from the Mall, where there's no excuse for having nothing to do. Although there's no local big-time college hockey program, which may be a plus given recent experience with Michigan and Minnie in the regionals, youth hockey is one of the fastest growing sports in the area, and the number of high school programs is increasing as well. There's more local interest in the sport than might be immediately apparent.

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 03:30PM

Ya know, when thinking in terms of DC and the Frozen Four, I'd second Greg's opinion that it'd be awesome due to the fact that I live here and I've got a couple of NHL fan friends I'm trying to convert over to the college game...but I can't imagine coming in from out of town and the amount of money you'd have to shell out to stay in the city for that many days and feed yourself.
I'm often times envious of those in NYC or even Philly because it is possible to find good food for cheap there. Maybe I'm just wandering in the wrong neighborhoods here but I can't really even find food (good or bad) for cheap here. And I'm not wandering into those bad neighborhoods on my own.

I will however say that there's a nice little tapas restaurant within a couple of blocks of the MCI Center that serves awesome food and great sangria! and the MCI Center sits on top of Chinatown (as dinky as it is)

Posted by: judy (---.accessww.com)
Date: April 15, 2005 03:31PM

And I forgot to mention that there are two Wegman's in northern VA :-D

Date: April 15, 2005 03:37PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

dss28 Wrote:

I wanna see it come to Hartford... [/Q]
Okay, but if that happens, you're going to have to let 50 of us stay at your house.[/q]

laugh I'm sure we can work something out.

Date: April 15, 2005 03:42PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

Ya know, when thinking in terms of DC and the Frozen Four, I'd second Greg's opinion that it'd be awesome due to the fact that I live here and I've got a couple of NHL fan friends I'm trying to convert over to the college game...but I can't imagine coming in from out of town and the amount of money you'd have to shell out to stay in the city for that many days and feed yourself.
I'm often times envious of those in NYC or even Philly because it is possible to find good food for cheap there. Maybe I'm just wandering in the wrong neighborhoods here but I can't really even find food (good or bad) for cheap here. And I'm not wandering into those bad neighborhoods on my own.

I will however say that there's a nice little tapas restaurant within a couple of blocks of the MCI Center that serves awesome food and great sangria! and the MCI Center sits on top of Chinatown (as dinky as it is)[/q]

Don't forget the two neighborhood brewpubs and the Irish pub virtually across the street from MCI. There are some cheaper places in Chinatown and a variety of other inexpensive places nearby. The Federal workers have to eat someplace!

Date: April 15, 2005 03:42PM

[Q]judy Wrote:
I can't really even find food (good or bad) for cheap here. [/q]

Check out The Bottom Line on Eye Street in Federal Triangle (Farragut West stop on the blue line, if I recall correctly), across the street from NCB. Good, STRONG, cheap drinks, and the food was pretty good too.

Date: April 15, 2005 04:54PM

[Q]judy Wrote:
I will however say that there's a nice little tapas restaurant within a couple of blocks of the MCI Center that serves awesome food and great sangria! and the MCI Center sits on top of Chinatown (as dinky as it is)[/q]

I think I know that place.

Chinatown is hit or miss. There is (was, one year ago, things change) a fantastic thai place less than a block from the MCI on a second floor walkup (it looked more like an illegal alien holding pen than a restaurant -- it probably was both), and then there are places you're more likely to contract cholera than get a good meal at any price. It is what is referred to tactfully as a Transitional Neighborhood, and untactfully as a place in which whites are driving non-white owners out as fast as possible under the ever-popular guise of "civic improvement." Ahem. By 2009, it will look like Burbank.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:02AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Ultimately, who the hell cares if anyone else notices the tourney? It's there for us. [/Q]
My feeling too. If too many people notice then we won't be able to get tickets.[/q]

If too few people notice then we won't be able to get rid of tickets in case we didn't psychically know exactly how many would be in our party a year ahead of time. :-(

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 10:44AM

In Philly, there isn't a whole lot to do around the stadiums, but its a quick subway ride to Center City. Philly is also a pretty good hockey town- the Flyers have always been popular, and the Phantoms set all sorts of AHL attendence records a few years ago. Does anyone know when the NCAA will announce its decision? Because the Lax final four is in Philly this year, and i think it would be interesting to see how that goes- how many locals it attracts, etc.

Of course, I probably won't even be in Philly anymore by the time this would happen, but it would still be cool

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 11:14AM

[Q]gobigred24 Wrote:
... Does anyone know when the NCAA will announce its decision? ...[/q]
The USCHO article [www.uscho.com] linked in the earlier post [elf.elynah.com] says: [q]Dean and a member of the NCAA staff will take site visits to all six locations prior to all cities doing formal presentations to the entire Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee, June 7-10, in Indianapolis. The committee will then forward its recommendations for 2009, 2010 and 2011 to the Division I Championships/Competition Cabinet to approve during its September 20-22, meeting in Indianapolis.[/q]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 16, 2005 02:32PM

The other difference about the lax final four is goegraphy. Philly is the perfect location between the southern schools and the northern schools. And a lot more balanced than having it in College Park every year.

But I'd love to see the FF in Philly.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 03:25PM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote:
Philly is the perfect location between the southern schools and the northern schools.[/q]

Anyone know why they decided to hold it at the pro stadium rather than Franklin Field? Is FF really that decrepit? Seems like it could more reasonably handle a lacrosse crowd. I always enjoyed our trips there.

The Eagles's football stadium just looks like its plopped down in parking lot land. At least its easier to get to than, say, the Meadowlands.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 04:02PM

[Q]Scersk '97 Wrote:

Anyone know why they decided to hold it at the pro stadium rather than Franklin Field? Is FF really that decrepit? Seems like it could more reasonably handle a lacrosse crowd.
[/q]
44,000 watched last year's championship game in Bawlmer. I suspect there may have been more at the semis.

Posted by: gobigred24 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2005 05:47PM

Franklin isn't that bad, but its no Linc. I am sure they can charge a lot more for tickets there, there is a lot more set-up in terms of concessions, and there is not a lot of parking around Penn's Campus.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 17, 2005 09:51AM

Franklin Field could hold the crowd. It's not that.

The stadia in Philly have been in that general area for at least 40 years and before that if you include JFK Stadium primarily because of access. They tried putting the new baseball stadium closer to downtown, but they realized they have to blow up something like 10 blocks of near-downtown AND build a whole new freeway to get people to it. Hard to justify that when you're already using tax dollars for the stadium.

Probable reasons for the Linc over Franklin Field: 1) the Linc is a newer, fancier, more fan-friendly venue 2) The city of Philadelphia is touting it for major sporting events, like international soccer friendlies, not just NCAA ones. 3) There is definitely no parking at Penn except for that one garage on Spruce St. Read: yet another revenue stream. 4) Grass at the Linc versus turf at FF. 5) Plenty of room for a "Fan Zone" right there - no room at FF.

That and Franklin Field really IS a dump. :-P

Date: April 17, 2005 11:36AM

[Q]Jeff Hopkins '82 Wrote: The other difference about the lax final four is goegraphy. Philly is the perfect location between the southern schools and the northern schools. And a lot more balanced than having it in College Park every year. ... But I'd love to see the FF in Philly.[/q]Baltimore for lacrosse' final four has some disadvantages to fans of lacrosse in New York, New Jersey, and the Northeast. When it's held down there you hear all this nonsense about how the South Is Lacrosse, forgetting which part of the country won the majority of the titles 1990 onward. Maybe some of the naysayers consider Princeton to be almost part of the Confederacy and thus victories for the Near South. Philadephia can be a day trip for Maryland, Hopkins, or Virginia fans.

Date: April 17, 2005 11:48AM

[Q]RichH Wrote: Well, it's that much closer to reality, now that the NCAA has announced six finalists to host the Frozen Fours from 2009-2011:
Boston - TD Bank North Garden (host: Hockey East/Boston University)
Detroit - Ford Field (CCHA) (2010-2011 only)
Philadelphia, Pa. - Wachovia Center (MAAC/Canisius/Niagara)
St. Paul, Minn. - Xcel Energy Center (University of Minnesota)
Washington, D.C. - MCI Center (Atlantic Hockey/Naval Academy)
I'd vote for D.C., Philly, and St. Paul. Also note the bids turned down:
Among those ruled out: Sunrise, Fla.; San Antonio; Minneapolis; Columbus, Ohio; Auburn Hills, Mich.; and Buffalo, N.Y.[/Q]
[/q]
The NCAA should be building on all the good publicity hockey has gotten this past year (look at the coverage in Sports Illustrated) and site a future event in the media capital. You get more national coverage doing it in NYC. There's stuff to do New York for the fans. Hotels aren't cheap but fans have friends or friends' parents they can stay with (free laundry, too). Problem is whether any team cares enough to sponsor it in New York City. Maybe Cornell/Colgate could jointly sponsor ... or the ECAC itself knowing it can't too-seriously propose Albany. (If Canisius thinks it's close enough to be host for a Philadelphia venue, then Cornell can be host of a NYC venue.) For the fans' sake, it needs to be in Madison Square Garden. Meadowlands (Continental) Arena has lots of parking but you can't exactly have a nice dinner and then stroll to the subway and then the arena.

Otherwise, I agree an urban-location rink in a big city is better for fans: More to do, more choices on airlines getting you in there. Boston is great, Philadelphia is fine, Washington would be good (and warm, or at least not bitter cold).

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: April 17, 2005 04:23PM

[Q]judy Wrote:

And I forgot to mention that there are two Wegman's in northern VA [/q]

Where?! :-O

Posted by: Josh 03 (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 05:17PM

One in Sterling (by Dulles). One in Fairfax.

[www.wegmans.com]

Posted by: Molly (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 17, 2005 05:42PM

[Q]Josh 03 Wrote:

One in Sterling (by Dulles). One in Fairfax.

[/q]

:-O :-O :-O
I've been living down here for almost a year and I find out about this two months before I've leaving?!?!

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: April 17, 2005 06:15PM

Wow, that changes everything. Though as a two-summer employee of Giant Foods my allegiance is still there.

Date: April 18, 2005 08:14AM

And they're building another one near Frederick.

Hey, we're civilized. Kind of.

Date: April 18, 2005 09:13AM

At least you folks have Trader Joe's.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:45AM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

And they're building another one near Frederick.

Hey, we're civilized. Kind of.[/q]

His civilization reached Frederick yet? ;-)

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 18, 2005 11:58AM

lafayette indiana... hockey hell, but food purgatory... there is a TJ's is only ~ 50 minutes (or 35 if i drive like the other hoosiers who think I-65 is the time trial track for the indy 500) from my non-direct tv friendly, but pet friendly apt. tj's was one of my favorite west coast things.. good wine, beer and cheese and all reasonably priced.

Date: April 18, 2005 12:20PM

[Q]ursaminor Wrote:
Hey, we're civilized. Kind of.[/Q]
His civilization reached Frederick yet? [/q]
Frederick, yes. Brunswick? Cue Deliverance theme...

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 12:36PM

[Even further OT] If you grew up in Rochester, Wegman's was no big deal. Most spouses like Wegman's but they salivate over a Trader Joe's outpost coming to their East Coast suburban enclaves.

Date: April 18, 2005 01:16PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

If you grew up in Rochester, Wegman's was no big deal. Most spouses like Wegman's but they salivate over a Trader Joe's outpost coming to their East Coast suburban enclaves. [/q]

Spouses?? Um, that's an...odd way to put it. How about shoppers? Or consumers? Or people?

Having grown up with a Wegmans right down the street from my house, I guess I took the quality of the chain for granted until I saw how much the out-of-towners appreciated it during my undergrad days in Ithaca. And I never fully appreciated it until moving to places without Wegs. And to be fair, having a chain like Wegmans only helps to increase the quality of the competitors in the area as well.

And there are Trader Joes (Traders Joe?) in the east. MA, LI, CT, Philly, DE, NJ, MD, and VA. It isn't quite the same if they are in states that don't allow wine sales in grocery stores (NY, CT, PA at least). Can't beat the price of Two Buck Chuck.
Locations: [www.traderjoes.com]

Of course, after reading about the cult of Whole Foods in McPaper last month, I'm kinda interested: [www.usatoday.com]

And for those of you who aren't in the loop of WNY news, Wegmans was recently named by Fortune Magazine as the #1 company to work for in America.
[money.cnn.com]
[biz.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 02:07PM

Whole Foods is the Noah Welch of grocery stores: vastly overrated. At least in my opinion. The two things readily available in Ithaca that I find most sorely lacking in the NYC area are Wegmans and Canadians. God, how I miss them both.

n.b. to those of you who live on the Upper West Side: Fairway, should you choose to brave it, has Ithaca Beer Company beer.

Date: April 18, 2005 02:40PM

[irony]There shall be no PC finger-shaking on eLynah.[/irony]

What the heck is the Ithaca Beer Company?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.knighttrading.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 02:51PM

[www.ithacabeer.com]

It's deliciousness, is what it is.

Date: April 18, 2005 02:58PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

What the heck is the Ithaca Beer Company?[/q]

It's a micro-brewery founded by classmates of mine in the late '90s. The brewery is housed in a former bakery south of Ithaca on Rt. 13. You can go there for a tour (though it's a very small facility, tastings, and they also fill growlers. Their beer can be found in lots of stores, bars, and restaurants around the Central NY area.

Personally, I think the beer quality is OK, not outstanding. Some of their seasonal brews are quite nice, notably the new-ish Cascazilla and Gorges Smoked Porter. The Apricot Wheat is usually popular for people who like a bit of fruitiness in their beer.

[www.ithacabeer.com]
but the website hasn't been updated in a year.

Date: April 18, 2005 03:02PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Whole Foods is the Noah Welch of grocery stores: vastly overrated.[/q]

That's the sentence of the month, right there.
laugh

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: April 18, 2005 03:13PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:

Trotsky Wrote:

What the heck is the Ithaca Beer Company?[/Q]
It's a micro-brewery founded by classmates of mine in the late '90s. The brewery is housed in a former bakery south of Ithaca on Rt. 13. You can go there for a tour (though it's a very small facility, tastings, and they also fill growlers. Their beer can be found in lots of stores, bars, and restaurants around the Central NY area.

Personally, I think the beer quality is OK, not outstanding. Some of their seasonal brews are quite nice, notably the new-ish Cascazilla and Gorges Smoked Porter. The Apricot Wheat is usually popular for people who like a bit of fruitiness in their beer.

but the website hasn't been updated in a year.[/q]

Their root beer (and one other non-alcoholic beverage) is sold at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, although it wasn't anything special the one time I tried it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 18, 2005 03:23PM

[Q]Jerseygirl Wrote:

Whole Foods is the Noah Welch of grocery stores: vastly overrated.[/q]

Whole Foods is kind of like an expensive version of Trader Joe's. I've been doing most of my shopping there since Albertson's pulled out of New Orleans. Every so often I go to Sav-a-Center if I need something that's not food or not whole (e.g., Coke products), but as often as not I get those things from the Rite Aid on the corner). The one thing I have to go to Whole Foods for is the bread (again, since Albertson's closed, although Sav-a-Center has started carrying the same baguettes as Whole Foods). Also, it's more pleasant going to Whole Foods since they know what my canvas shopping bags are for. The one thing I have to go somewhere else for is breakfast cereal. Winn-Dixie is just depressing.

Re: Frozen Foods at Ford Field?
Date: April 18, 2005 04:59PM

[Q]RichH Wrote:Spouses?? Um, that's an...odd way to put it. How about shoppers? Or consumers? Or people?

Having grown up with a Wegmans right down the street from my house, I guess I took the quality of the chain for granted until I saw how much the out-of-towners appreciated it during my undergrad days in Ithaca. And I never fully appreciated it until moving to places without Wegs. And to be fair, having a chain like Wegmans only helps to increase the quality of the competitors in the area as well.

And there are Trader Joes (Traders Joe?) in the east. MA, LI, CT, Philly, DE, NJ, MD, and VA. It isn't quite the same if they are in states that don't allow wine sales in grocery stores (NY, CT, PA at least). Can't beat the price of Two Buck Chuck.
Locations:

Of course, after reading about the cult of Whole Foods in McPaper last month, I'm kinda interested:

And for those of you who aren't in the loop of WNY news, Wegmans was recently named by Fortune Magazine as the #1 company to work for in America.[/q]It's a gender thing. Should have said wives not spouses. My wife and her friends spend a half-hour at cocktail parties talking up TJ to lord it over friends living in non-TJ towns. The men are off on more important topics like regular vs. synthetic motor oil, or DirecTV high-def vs. cable high-def.

You can't beat the price of two buck Chuck ... but the quality, well, there's so much you can do with a $3.50 bottle of wine no matter how respected the grocery store it comes out of. None of the spouses cited in the above paragraph ever bring TBC as a hostess gift. A selection of passable cheap wine is nice, but wouldn't you rather have the two full aisles of wines available in any half-fast California grocery store?

No matter how great a place Wegman's is to work, it you're making $8 an hour and working Friday nights and Sundays, it ain't such a great place to work.

You are absolutely right that Wegman's is first rate and a good store makes competitors get better or be gone.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 18, 2005 05:16PM

and as the clock strikes 4, i'm reminded about the best thing about trader joe's.... big blocks of ghiradelli chocolate for ~ $1.50 each. ymmmmm. perfect for keeping in your office when the afternoon sugar low hits.

Date: April 18, 2005 05:26PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

It's a gender thing. Should have said wives not spouses. My wife and her friends spend a half-hour at cocktail parties talking up TJ to lord it over friends living in non-TJ towns. The men are off on more important topics like regular vs. synthetic motor oil, or DirecTV high-def vs. cable high-def.

[/q]

I don't that is really typical. Consider that most of the people discussing this "issue" here are male, or visit Chowhound.com to see how many folks (females and males) chime on the merits of TJs, Wegmans and other markets.

Date: April 18, 2005 05:44PM

Using an internet site as a basis for assessing the interest of various groups (in this case men vs. women) is no better than using anecdotes (as Bill is). Lots of self-selection involved.

Date: April 18, 2005 06:29PM

This could lead to a continuation of the Must All Great Chefs Be Male? discussion. I don't think they must. But if you read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential you might suspect the Animal House nature of some great restaurant kitchens would contribute to the preponderance of men.

Reading Kitchen Confidential is a better use of time than talking up Trader Joes. Because only by reading KC will one understand the first rule of dining out: Never order seafood on Monday.

Corollary? If Cornell fans watched Harvard play in the Beanpot (always held Mondays), it would be unmannerly to toss fish, no matter how much you dislike Noah Welch.

Posted by: judy (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 18, 2005 07:14PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

I don't that is really typical. Consider that most of the people discussing this "issue" here are male, or visit Chowhound.com to see how many folks (females and males) chime on the merits of TJs, Wegmans and other markets.[/q]

You do realize this is primarily a hockey message board...right? That may have something to do with the lack of female opinions. :-P Us females are few and far between but we are here.

mmm...Whole Foods...
They could easily take my entire paycheck. Great pre-made section (can't compare to Wegman's except that they're closer). And it's a great way to clean out your system...just be careful if you only eat from whole foods for 2 straight weeks, the first drop of grease might send you into shock.
Is Trader Joe's also all organic? I'll admit that the presentation of foods at W.F. keeps me going back...and sometimes, I can just eat dinner there with all the samples they have

Date: April 18, 2005 07:25PM

This conversation about Wegman's vs. Trader Joe vs. Whole Foods must be disheartening to students on this board whose choices center on campus food, campus food, and campus food.

Date: April 18, 2005 07:49PM

But the females we have... they are SUPERIOR females. [/deadpan]

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 18, 2005 08:05PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

This conversation about Wegman's vs. Trader Joe vs. Whole Foods must be disheartening to students on this board whose choices center on campus food, campus food, and campus food. [/q]

Nah, my choices have never centered exclusively on campus food. Primarily, yes, but only when I was a freshman. Since then, I've got Collegetown restaurants to eat at - and eat there I do, since I'm too lazy to cook anything other than a microwaved meal - and Wegman's to shop at when I either pretend that I'll cook or decide to split a bottle of wine and block of cheese with a friend as "dinner."

On a side note, Ithaca was beautiful today B-]

Date: April 19, 2005 10:47AM

[Q]judy Wrote:

You do realize this is primarily a hockey message board...right? That may have something to do with the lack of female opinions. Us females are few and far between but we are here.[/Q]

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

Using an internet site as a basis for assessing the interest of various groups (in this case men vs. women) is no better than using anecdotes (as Bill is). Lots of self-selection involved[/Q]

Umm, my point was that the food shopping topic (like hockey) is no longer a one-sex topic of discussion. As evidence that some males can speak knowledgably about the relative merits of different markets, I cited the discussions here and at one of the most popular food discussion forums. Thus, my experience has been that many males also take part in such discussions.

[Q]judy Wrote:

Is Trader Joe's also all organic? [/Q]

No.

Date: April 19, 2005 11:20AM

[q]Umm, my point was that the food shopping topic (like hockey) is no longer a one-sex topic of discussion. As evidence that some males can speak knowledgably about the relative merits of different markets, I cited the discussions here and at one of the most popular food discussion forums. Thus, my experience has been that many males also take part in such discussions.[/q]I get your point and you may well be right. But the only evidence you cited was internet chat boards and one really shouldn't draw many conclusions from that.

I would guess that you're right - food-shopping is no longer a one-sex discussion, particularly among younger and more urban people. I would also suspect that it's a topic that is stil more important to women than to men overall. But that's just based on intuition, which is even less reliable than self-selected internet surveys!

Posted by: ugarte (---.cisco.com)
Date: April 19, 2005 05:26PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

This conversation about Wegman's vs. Trader Joe vs. Whole Foods must be disheartening to students on this board whose choices center on campus food, campus food, and campus food. [/q]This was an attitude that drove me crazy when I was in school. At Cornell, the campus food is awesome. I spent three semesters at SUNY-Albany, where the dining hall norm would have been grounds for a s.1983 suit if served in prison.

Date: April 19, 2005 10:04PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

This conversation about Wegman's vs. Trader Joe vs. Whole Foods must be disheartening to students on this board whose choices center on campus food, campus food, and campus food. [/Q]
This was an attitude that drove me crazy when I was in school. At Cornell, the campus food is awesome. I spent three semesters at SUNY-Albany, where the dining hall norm would have been grounds for a s.1983 suit if served in prison.[/q]

You said it. When I got to UCSB for grad school I heard a rumor that we had the second best dining halls in the country after Cornell. Well, I can vouch for the relative ordering, but I find it hard to believe there was nothing in between...

Date: April 21, 2005 04:45PM

[Q]French Rage Wrote:

judy Wrote:

And I forgot to mention that there are two Wegman's in northern VA [/Q]
Where?! [/q]

Not too centrally located, unfortunately. One is in Sterling, near Dulles, the other off Lee Highway, west of Fairfax City.

Date: April 21, 2005 05:01PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

On a side note, Ithaca was beautiful today [/q]

Yes, indeed! I was there on a college visit with my high-school junior daughter that day - her first time in Ithaca - and I was constantly reminding her that the cloudless skies and balmy temps were not not not at all typical. I kept looking for pictures of snow in the admissions literature to show her.

Date: April 21, 2005 06:42PM

[q]and I was constantly reminding her that the cloudless skies and balmy temps were not not not at all typical.[/q]Were you trying to discourage her or something? Come on, shouldn't blind loyalty to your Alma Mater be more important than being a good parent?

Date: April 22, 2005 11:52AM

[Q]KeithK Wrote:

and I was constantly reminding her that the cloudless skies and balmy temps were not not not at all typical.[/Q]
Were you trying to discourage her or something? Come on, shouldn't blind loyalty to your Alma Mater be more important than being a good parent? [/q]

Just wanted to be sure she understood what she might be getting into. :-) She had decided last fall that she wanted to attend an excellent school much closer to home, but I thought she needed to broaden her horizons a bit. She expressed some curiousity about Cornell, which I think would be a very good fit for what she wants to do both in and outside the classroom, so we made the trip and also visited a good, small New England liberal arts college, so she could be exposed to that option. The short version is that lots of things clicked for her, she saw the range of opportunities at Cornell, and we now have a Red wannabe on our hands. The liberal arts college with the great reputation seemed sleepy and unexciting in comparison.

Date: April 22, 2005 01:26PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

You can't beat the price of two buck Chuck ... but the quality, well, there's so much you can do with a $3.50 bottle of wine no matter how respected the grocery store it comes out of.
[/q]

While the perception of "you get what you pay for" still generally holds, the "super-value" category has at least knocked down the barrier to convince ordinary people that you can enjoy a wine that isn't expensive.

2002 Charles Shaw Shiraz won a double-gold medal at last year's International Eastern Wine Competition. Double-gold means that the judging panel unanimously awarded a gold medal, and that distinction qualified it to move on to be judged in the "best red" category. Only 53 of some 2300 wines in that competition earned a double-gold. You can bet that put the wine media in a tizzy.
[www.vwm-online.com]
[www.npr.org]

I brought back a couple bottles from CA last month just for my own curiosity. No, you aren't going to bring it to the ambassador's ball, or even to a neighbor's bbq. But if people find they like it, it's certainly worth the price.

Now we just need to get Americans to ditch the perception that screw caps and bladder-boxes are for bad wine.
[www.novusvinum.com]
[www.mercurynews.com]

Date: April 22, 2005 02:19PM

[Q]Liz '05 Wrote:

On a side note, Ithaca was beautiful today [/q]

Just that day? We've had two weeks of glorious weather. I'm actually flashing back to my days living in Southern California when I learned to loathe the constant sun. Heck, we've even had brush fire advisories.

With the rain all set to return in force this weekend, and a flood watch back in effect, I feel no guilt in jinxing the weather.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: June 23, 2005 08:38PM

Well, they did it: [www.uscho.com]

Got help us all. help

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 09:16PM

Not something I was rooting for, but it'll be neat.

What bothers me more...

2008:
Midwest Regional — Kohl Center (Madison, Wis., March 28-30) - U of Wisc - 200x97
West Regional — Colorado Springs World Arena (Colorado Springs, Colo., March 28-30) - CC - 200x100
2009:
West Regional — Mariucci Arena (Minneapolis, March 27-29) - assholes - 200x100

I thought we were getting past this
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2005 09:19PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.okinawa.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: June 23, 2005 10:29PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:
What bothers me more...

2008:
Midwest Regional — Kohl Center (Madison, Wis., March 28-30) - U of Wisc - 200x97
West Regional — Colorado Springs World Arena (Colorado Springs, Colo., March 28-30) - CC - 200x100
2009:

[/q]

They held off on choosing the 2010 and 2011 regional sites in the midwest because they didn't get enough neutral site bids.

If you're complaining about the size of the ice surface, it's starting to make us look like Syracusewhiners.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: June 23, 2005 11:38PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

Not something I was rooting for, but it'll be neat.

What bothers me more...

2008:
2009:

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 06/23/05 09:19PM by DeltaOne81.[/q]

I'm sure that this has been said before, but, honestly, the only way to eliminate the whole 200x100 (or something similar) would be to eliminate the midwestern and western regionals. Out here we simply do not have the amount of arenas in places that could feasibly host regionals (Or that are too big for regionals...ie Pepsi Center, the Xcel, etc). While 2006's Midwest regional in Green Bay is certainly a neutral site (I am not sure what size it is, I would guess it is a smaller sheet), it barely has the hotel rooms to house even a small regional, if it were, for instance, CC, Cornell, Maine, and Michigan, some people could end up staying in fish houses and commuting to the rink via Snowmobile (while I would not mind this, I would guess that others might...)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 11:46PM

I'm talking about the fact that it's home arenas with Olympic size ice. It's not whining when it's patently unfair. Well, okay, it's unfair with lacrosse too, but they don't have a choice. I thought hockey was getting to the point that they didn't have to resort to blatantly unfair advantages to get a tournament.

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.178.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 02:20AM

Two regionals in Bridgeport? yark

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2005 04:34AM

At least Bridgeport has the benefit of being close enough to NYC that you can flee^H^H^H^H go home for the night. barf

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: June 24, 2005 09:55AM

Like social security, I didn't earn it and I don't need it, but I'm damn happy to get it. Party at my house in 2009.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.research.cornell.edu)
Date: June 24, 2005 11:05AM

[Q]"Outside of the games themselves and you'll see this for the 2009 Super Bowl, everything we do will be designed around the outdoors," said Wickett. "The convention center has a two-tier deck and that's an area that could be used for the Hobey Baker ceremony and we can bring the Hat Trick in on boats. A lot of what we do in Tampa is take advantage of our weather and our water and we've built a lot around the weather.[/Q]
yark

I've been to Tampa a few times. The only thing that sticks out in my mind was miles and miles of adjacent gentlemen's clubs downtown.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: June 24, 2005 11:42AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

"Outside of the games themselves and you'll see this for the 2009 Super Bowl, everything we do will be designed around the outdoors," said Wickett. "The convention center has a two-tier deck and that's an area that could be used for the Hobey Baker ceremony and we can bring the Hat Trick in on boats. A lot of what we do in Tampa is take advantage of our weather and our water and we've built a lot around the weather.[/Q]
I've been to Tampa a few times. The only thing that sticks out in my mind was miles and miles of adjacent gentlemen's clubs downtown.[/q]

I thought Tampa did an excellent job hosting Super Bowl XXXV, and there was a heck of a lot more to do than strip clubs.

The Florida Tournament (yes, I know it's not in Tampa) is also a great experience, mixing hockey and beach weather in the middle of the "winter."

I think Tampa is a fine choice. Traditional? Obviously not. But it sure as hell beats Buffalo.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 25, 2005 01:29PM

[Q]Trotsky Wrote:

Like social security, I didn't earn it and I don't need it, but I'm damn happy to get it. Party at my house in 2009.[/q]

We're going to hold you to that. :-D

Date: June 26, 2005 03:17PM

[Q]DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I'm talking about the fact that it's home arenas with Olympic size ice. It's not whining when it's patently unfair.[/q]

Why is home arenas with Olympic size ice more unfair than home arenas with NHL-sized ice?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2005 03:31PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

DeltaOne81 Wrote:

I'm talking about the fact that it's home arenas with Olympic size ice. It's not whining when it's patently unfair.[/Q]
Why is (are) home arenas with Olympic size ice more unfair than home arenas with NHL-sized ice?[/q]Maybe because most teams don't play on them.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 09:45AM

Yeah, Jim pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think you're mostly playing devils advocate, JTW, because I think you know that. The fact is that the schools that have Olympic home rinks have plenty of experience throughout the year playing on smaller rinks too. While there are a number of teams who play on NA rinks who have little to know experience for years on end playing in Olympic facilities (hmmm, anyone care to name one? I'm sure they're out there ;) ).

The other argument is that if the FF is always held on NA size rinks, then how can you hold the earlier rounds on Olympic and consider it all consistent and fair.

If they really feel they have to, then I have to bend to that economic reality, but I think the time has come to try without it for a while and see how the financials work out. AHL rink in Milwaukee, to be Peoria, Chicago, Detroit, Grand Rapids - throw in the *occassional* NA size home rink. And heck, I see no reason why they can't use NHL rinks for regionals - I think they could support it. They're using the Pepsi Center next year (not Arena (well okay, that too), Center). If it works, hopefully we'll see a movement towards that too. I think they can set up a good rotation w/o giving anyone a huge home advantage.

Date: June 29, 2005 12:21PM

I think John is making the point that it's unfair to play any NCAA games on a team's home ice, regardless of the size of the ice. Michigan plays on NA ice and it's plenty unfair that they have hosted many regionals through the years.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: June 29, 2005 03:35PM

I don't disagree, but it's even *more* unfair if it's Olympic, against a team that doesn't usually (or hardly ever) play on that surface. Sure, I'd love to see it never be at anyone's home site, but I'll put up with the occassional Engelstad or Yost in exchange for no Olympic size - preferrably even that as rarely as possible, or never though.

However, playing at Engelstad or Yost isn't really much more unfair than playing at the XCel or any other arena in a home city. Maybe a little, but not much more, and I'm willing to put up with that. CC, Wisc, and Minn in a two year span is total bullshit though.

Date: June 30, 2005 10:22AM

Ah, but that's perfectly fair. Like the Olympics themselves -- if you have the money to build the facility, you get to host. rolleyes

(Snarky observation that the concentration of wealth destroys equal access to the "free" market in everything from shoes to elections, omitted.)

Posted by: nyc94 (66.147.179.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 05:36PM

Does anyone know who the host institution is for the Bridgeport regionals? I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the USCHO article.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login