Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

BU Hockey Visit

Posted by Nate 04 
BU Hockey Visit
Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 01, 2005 03:17PM

Over the weekend I had a chance to attend my first BU hockey game at BU. It was a really great experience, not to mention a great game. My tickets were in the student section, but moved after one period to one of the many empty seats around the arena. Though all their games are sold out, the rink is only about 2/3 filled (though the student section was filled). I ended up moving to sit with a few BU alumni from the late 60's. The one guy I talked to had obviously taught his kids well, as his daughter is now a Cornell alum. He recalled the rivalry between Cornell and BU fondly and talked about getting to watch Dryden play at Lynah, not to mention a lot of BU hockey history. Definitely fun fans to be around.

The team looked pretty good for most of the game. I was quite impressed with their deft passing skills. Repeatedly they had amazing passes which created a lot of openings. They were playing Providence and on both goals allowed they answered within about 30 seconds. For anyone who attended the home games against BU in 2003 over Thanksgiving will remember the "midget" on the BU team that punched Dougie Murray in the face. He's a captain now and his twin brother plays for PC. And he still hasn't grown at all (5'4" I think).

I was surprised how much the whole atmosphere reminded me of Lynah (minus the difference between an old hockey rink and the new Agganis Arena). I guess this comes from the two programs being so connected back when they were in the same league. A lot of the cheers were similar. When a goal is scored their chant is a bit more vulgar....along the lines of "(rhymes with buck) em up, (rhymes with buck) em up, BC Sucks" x # of goals + "Sieve, sieve, sieve, ...." I think my favorite thing they did was when they were on the power play they changed the "Ole" song and when they were on penalty kill they had another one.

One final note, Agganis Arena is beautiful. They still need to get their ticket checking down as I just walked in a door from the ticket booth and no one ever asked to see my ticket. (note to self: try this more often at sporting events). And you can take the T almost to the arena - sure beats walking up the hill on a cold Friday night. Of course, I'd much rather forgo all those things and sit in the friendly confines of Lynah Rink.

Re: BU Hockey Visit
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2005 07:35PM

Nice to hear another Faithful account of the new rink at BU. A few comments from my experience:

-- The Midget is really good. He scored the last goal in the old rink and the first in the new one back in early January. I hope we play BU in the NC$$s so he and Topher can have a midget fight.

-- Boston old-timers know their hockey and are fun to talk to. I overheard one talking about the World Juniors as I was walking out of John Harvards one night, popped back in to tell him the latest I knew, and spent 10-15 minutes talking hockey. Aside from his offhand "Switzerland sucks" comment, I enjoyed the conversation immensely.

-- Glad to hear the student section at Agganis is still lively and in force. Did Sasquatch also do his thing?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Nate 04 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 02, 2005 12:54PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

-- Glad to hear the student section at Agganis is still lively and in force. Did Sasquatch also do his thing?[/q]

He did and did it well. Made me remember how glad I was when the shirts stopped coming off the fat guys sitting next to me at Lynah a couple of years ago.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2005 03:23AM

There have been three posts in this message before this one. Not one of them included the word "screw." Are you people just asleep at the switch?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login